PDA

View Full Version : Will the Washington Nationals make the playoffs?

SportsAndrew25
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
So I was reading the Washington Post today and they had an article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/for-now-washington-nationals-pitchers-rank-with-best-ever/2012/06/24/gJQAko2T0V_story.html?hpid=z4) which described how historically great this Nationals pitching staff has been. However, the Nationals offense has been extremely bad. They have the third lowest total of runs scored in baseball (263 as of this post), the fourth lowest OBP (.304 of this post), and are in the bottom 10th in terms of OPS. I really hope this team can do well for the fans in Washington, but I do not know how the Nationals will make the playoffs if they do not score and are still planning (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120512&content_id=31077540&notebook_id=31076608&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was) to put a innings limit on Strasburg. I wonder what you guys think about the Nationals' playoff hopes?

JNev
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Im not hot on really any of the other teams in that division so I think they can still make it. What they could do once theyre there is another question

WadeKobe
06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
No team in that division is really exciting anywhere except the Nats' Pitching and Braves' fielding.

I think their pitching is for real, and will outlast anyone else in the division, considering the Mets aren't hitting that much better for it to be a huge difference, and the Braves' pitching staff is only being saved by their defense, which I expect to level off a bit.

waveycrockett
06-25-2012, 10:24 AM
It depends if they make Strasburg meet that innings limit and sit him. That offense will be fine I think. Alot of young impatient hitters but when Werth comes back it will help.

Pinstripe pride
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
i hope so

Jeffy25
06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
99.6% probability they will at this point.

We still have more baseball to play than we have played, but with the extra wild card spot, it's hard to imagine them not making it.

A few of the teams in the East have records better than they probably should based on runs scored vs runs allowed, but the Nationals seem pretty safe to make it to me.

NY_Heartbreak
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
If they don't it will be a huge disappointment.

MetsFanatic19
06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
they will make the one game playoff at the very least

NYMets0507
06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd be stunned if they don't. Yeah their hitting is meh, but their pitching is incredible. Werth returning from injury will be a major help.

Driven
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm still going no. I just think their lineup is horrible, and that their pitching will have some downs from here on out. I'm not enamored with the division. I think the Mets and Marlins are really overachieving as well. But I still think that the Phillies and Braves will make a strong run at some point.

The second wildcard spot makes things more up in the air for me though.

utl768
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
theyll make it to at least the wildcard

NY_Heartbreak
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
The Nationals' staff is just that good. I can't see them declining by much. It's possible that once Strasburg's innings limit is reached that the Nationals may have problems though. As far as their lineup goes, Zimmerman hasn't done much the whole year and they've still produced offensively.

If they get their offense going, the Nats will win the NL East.

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
mike morse will likely give them something...

werth will be back...

& i expect ryan zimmerman to give them something in the second half

this should shore up the offense...

if i'm the nats i'm looking at acquiring a 2B or SS who can hit leadoff and potentially a solid SP they can use throughout august & september to keep strasburg under his innings limit & available for playoffs....

the nats should make the playoffs----but if strasburg can't start when they get there, they are in trouble

Spiderman 1nner
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I think they will. As a braves fan it pains me to say that but their pitching is just too good and this team reminds me of ours from a couple years back when we made it with a terrible offense and great pitching. But the difference is our injuries happened near playoff time, the nats got their injuries out of the way early and they should be healthy come playoff time and I have to believe they'll be a serious world series contender. I still think the braves will make it as a wild card tho, especially since they seem to be the most active in trading for a difference maker before the deadline and certainly have the pieces to make it happen.

fingerbang
06-25-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't understand the innings limit. Shut him down if he gets hurt, loses velocity, or starts to pitch poorly. Don't just end a potential Cy Young season because he reached a number.

rkelly7
06-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Yea, the Phils aren't scary at all anymore, the braves lost their token pitching, the Marlins wallets haven't lived up to expectations and the Mets, well, they are the Mets. Im not going to say they will definitely win the divison, but they definitely will make the playoffs.

YanksNats1987
06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Sure hope they can! Added WC helps. Pitching can't always carry the team so the offense definitely has to improve.

J.Twiggy
06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
If they do it will be the first time in 79 years since a DC team has not been to the playoffs since 1933 which is the same year of there last world series appearence.