PDA

View Full Version : How many yrs in the NBA should a player have played before being compared to legends?

JordansBulls
06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
How many years in the NBA should a player have played before being compared justly to all time greats/legends?

For me personally, I think a good measuring stick before you compare players to all time greats is that they should have played either 10 years already or retired. Once 10 years are up then comparisons are more legit.

The reason I think that is more legit is because then you can dissect the players more so then just if one guy played 5 years (where it is nothing but his career has not taken shape yet, while the other guy who he may be compared to has played 12 years or so.)

Just my 2 cents on this, but how about you guys?

Ebbs
06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
I would say 8 sounds about right.

However I think it's more the resume than the duration.

Have they won a ring, MVP, DPOY? How many All NBA teams, all star appearances have they been a part of? How many times were they a league leder in this or that.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Did you make this thread because after his 9th season and 1st title, LeBron is being compared to MJ?

(Btw, the comparisons of LeBron to Kobe or MJ isn't even close, so you don't have to worry about that buddy).

Ebbs
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Did you make this thread because after his 9th season and 1st title, LeBron is being compared to MJ?

(Btw, the comparisons of LeBron to Kobe or MJ isn't even close, so you don't have to worry about that buddy).

Well I would with ease take LeBron over Kobe all time so not sure why you brought that up?

knicks4life33
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM

UaWilcat23
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
An entire career

Baller1
06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
8-12.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
As long as they have the talent and/or accomplishments.

JordansBulls
06-24-2012, 06:41 PM

No, because I saw someone else make a comment similar elsewhere. So it prompted me to make this thread.
The same can be said with Durant who is only in his 5th season. So that he doesn't get compared unjustly to all time greats and get diminished in comparisons.

And when I say all time greats I am mainly referring to guys in the top 20 all time.

Blitzbolt
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Lmao this thread is made by a bulls/Jordan fan.

Stop trolling son grow up Jordan is the best you don't need a thread to tell us.

Bishnoff
06-24-2012, 06:45 PM
A player should have either played 10 seasons, be on an obvious decline (after peaking), or have retired before being compared to past greats. Anything else is just speculation.

JordansBulls
06-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Lmao this thread is made by a bulls/Jordan fan.

Stop trolling son grow up Jordan is the best you don't need a thread to tell us.

This thread isn't even about him, what are you talking about? I never even mentioned him. I said all time greats, which includes several top tier players all time.

Glen20
06-24-2012, 06:55 PM
imo, the comparisons can begin when the player starts having finals appearances and gathering personal accolades.
But their ranking in history should only be decided after?
Obviously, if someone like Jordan comes along, you can bet that his ranking will be decided(and it was) before he retired (the third time)

FlashMacker
06-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Well I would with ease take LeBron over Kobe all time so not sure why you brought that up?

Lets see how the rest of LeBrons career goes first.

thekmp211
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
5,000,000 years.

can we do something about the GOP propaganda pop-up ads?

seriously though you either got it or you don't. i'd say that becomes evident after 3 seasons give or take a few late bloomers.

Cano4prez
06-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Lol LeBron's going to pass Kobe with 1 more ring

JoeyBoy718
06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
6 games. Jeremy Lin. /thread facepalm FML drops mic

ThunderousDemon
06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Lol LeBron's going to pass Kobe with 1 more ring

:yawn:

StarvingKnick22
06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
their career length. end of discussion

tredigs
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Agree on both counts. Clearly a better/more dominant player than Kobe. Clearly not as great as Jordan.

@ the OP question, it depends - what legends are we talking about? You can start comparing fairly quickly, and we do. There's a reason why Durant would already go down as a top 75 player of all time if he retired today, and Lebron a top 15 player of all time in the same scenario. It's all resume and impact on the game. You don't need 10 years to begin evaluating that. Some legends - like Walton - only had a couple great years, far less dominant for a long period of time than many current stars. They're still legends.

Ultimately you can't fully gauge a players career until it is over; the story is not finished yet. But that's not to say they can't still compare favorably to legends of the past at their current point.