PDA

View Full Version : Degrading Mj's greatness

Bucsfan40
06-24-2012, 07:24 AM
I really think people have forgotten how great MJ was. There are alot of fans that remember how great he was but it seems like espn guys like hollinger badly want lebron to be better than mj and will find the SMALLEST stat line to compare him too but in reality its not even close..The comparisn this early is somewhat BS to me..what do you guys thing

koreancabbage
06-24-2012, 07:42 AM
MJ was great for what he did to the game and he'll be forever known as the guy who set the standard for wing players and players in general.

Will he be the BEST ever? I highly doubt it but he was definitely the greatest in his generation and such.

Very leery of comparing future generations with past generations but sometimes, we too are too ignorant in a way that "Jordan will always be the best type of mentality." and we will always set up the "next" guy as falling short of expectations. Its ridiculous but with that. Lebron is the first of his type and will be THE model for SFs in the NBA like Jordan was the model for SGs.

Jordan was a once in a generation type of player
Kobe/ Shaq/ Duncan was too for example.

Lebron is that player in this generation.

Glen20
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
i was just talking to my friend about this...
Jordan was amazing.
He was unbelievable.
he is indescribable.
But that doesn't mean i should live in the past and not focus on what i see today.
I like what i see in today's stars and i don't care if they don't play like Jordan did, they are still fun to watch.
But yeah, Jordan was amazing. But seriously, we need to learn to focus on what is happening around us.

ldawg
06-24-2012, 08:28 AM
They are caught up in the moment. Its pretty silly they did the same with Kobe. nothing new.

Glen20
06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
They are caught up in the moment. Its pretty silly they did the same with Kobe. nothing new.

why cant we be?
why should i care about someone who played the game more than a decade ago?
Players come and go, but basketball will always transcend each and every player.

BALLER R
06-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Jordan is so much more than just stats

PhillyFaninLA
06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
In 10 years from now we could realistically be talking about Lebron in the same breath and MJ, Magic, Wilt, Kareem.

You cannot judge a player by rings and stats alone, they don't tell the entire story and really only tell a small one. What Lebron did in Cleveland few players in league history could have done.

I also want to add no one disregards Jordan's greatness but he is retired and its only natural to compare the best player of one era with that of another.

CB29
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
If stats were that important, then there would be no need to watch games... Just check the boxscore/advanced stats and you're good...

Mj transcended stats... Lebron this year in the finals also transcended stats but its one of the first times he's done so..

superwill
06-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Jordan is so much more than just stats

This is what people don't get

agnesksmd
06-24-2012, 09:20 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1In 10 years from now we could realistically be talking about Lebron in the same breath and MJ, Magic, Wilt, Kareem.

You cannot judge a player by rings and stats alone, they don't tell the entire story and really only tell a small one. What Lebron did in Cleveland few players in league history could have done.

I also want to add no one disregards Jordan's greatness but he is retired and its only natural to compare the best player of one era with that of another.

What Lebron did in Cleveland few players in league history could have done.

Blazers#1Fan
06-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I really think people have forgotten how great MJ was. There are alot of fans that remember how great he was but it seems like espn guys like hollinger badly want lebron to be better than mj and will find the SMALLEST stat line to compare him too but in reality its not even close..The comparisn this early is somewhat BS to me..what do you guys thing

honestly LBJ is gonna end up with the better stats MJ was mmore clutch but he wasnt unstoppable thats what i hate people act like MJ never missed a shot an act like he was all mighty mr basketball! ok payers will always get better MJ was better then DR.J Kobe better then MJ an Lebron better then Kobe im not saying this is true but thats how it ends up LeBron is a once in a lifetime player i think 1 on 1 mj vs lebron = Lebron ....Lebron bigger faster stronger,LeBron doesnt get his dues he's a better version of Larry Bird which MJ VS Bird use to get compared but LeBron is better i see LBJ wth more MVP's DPOY Awards and around same amount of titles

i love MJ but we cant act like he was the nicest guy an the untouchable player he was a prick on the court and off he was a good player the greatest but he wasnt unstoppable remember MJ would never would be in video games back then?? he wanted alot of money to be in games

im a big MJ fan i just know alot about him!

Cavs_Fan24
06-24-2012, 09:45 AM
LeBron is great and will go down as one of the greatest ever! Easily a lock for top 10 IMO. But people seem to forget what seperates Jordan's greatness from LeBron's.

Jordan had a "win at all costs" mentality. Dude was a straight assassin and could take over on cue. LeBron doesn't quite have this, and he could develop more of a killer instinct, but LeBron (or anybody else, ever) will have quite the intensity the MJ had. Kobe is the closest thing in that regard, and even he isn't quite on Jordan's level.

Both LeBron and Kobe are great, both are top 10 all-time players, but this is why Jordan is the single most-greatest player to ever play the game.

cubbies7177
06-24-2012, 09:50 AM
LeBron is great and will go down as one of the greatest ever! Easily a lock for top 10 IMO. But people seem to forget what seperates Jordan's greatness from LeBron's.

Jordan had a "win at all costs" mentality. Dude was a straight assassin and could take over on cue. LeBron doesn't quite have this, and he could develop more of a killer instinct, but LeBron (or anybody else, ever) will have quite the intensity the MJ had. Kobe is the closest thing in that regard, and even he isn't quite on Jordan's level.

Both LeBron and Kobe are great, both are top 10 all-time players, but this is why Jordan is the single most-greatest player to ever play the game.

yeah... they even described it in the NBA Dream Team documentary...

when they described magic v jordan in practice scrimmages... pippen and the rest of jordan's team kept saying that "once he had that look in his eye... it was over."

that ability to finish over and over again is pretty unprecedented. if lebron can become the finals killer that jordan was... we'll see. but winning this one time doesn't prove that whatsoever IMO. he'd have to do it at least 3 more times to even be close.

Glen20
06-24-2012, 09:50 AM

no one will surpass jordan in this current generation.
But who cares?
Jordan is long done. can't we focus on what we have? Can we compare players amongst the same generation?

BullySixChicago
06-24-2012, 10:10 AM

Yea they are looking at the Moment but real fans wh saw MJ entire career laugh at the comparision.

Swashcuff
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
honestly LBJ is gonna end up with the better stats MJ was mmore clutch but he wasnt unstoppable thats what i hate people act like MJ never missed a shot an act like he was all mighty mr basketball! ok payers will always get better MJ was better then DR.J Kobe better then MJ an Lebron better then Kobe im not saying this is true but thats how it ends up LeBron is a once in a lifetime player i think 1 on 1 mj vs lebron = Lebron ....Lebron bigger faster stronger,LeBron doesnt get his dues he's a better version of Larry Bird which MJ VS Bird use to get compared but LeBron is better i see LBJ wth more MVP's DPOY Awards and around same amount of titles

i love MJ but we cant act like he was the nicest guy an the untouchable player he was a prick on the court and off he was a good player the greatest but he wasnt unstoppable remember MJ would never would be in video games back then?? he wanted alot of money to be in games

im a big MJ fan i just know alot about him!

What stats are you talking about? Counting stats? For example more total rebounds and assists?

Federal Reserve
06-24-2012, 10:20 AM
The disparity in accolades between Michael Jordan and Lebron is the only thing that makes Jordan better. If we're talking about individual skills only, I would take Lebron over Jordan to build my team.

Swashcuff
06-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Had MJ not retired in the prime of his career twice I honestly don't think we would even start mentioning LeBron in the same breath as him. At a minimum he'd have one more title, MVP and FMVP.

One can argue however that Jordan benefited when Magic stopped playing as well.

I do agree however many tend to underplay MJ's greatness for the what have you done for me lately syndrome. MJ himself said it. He has 6 titles lets give today's players the opportunity to play at that kind of level for such a long period of time before we start even attempting to say that another player is better or is going to be better.

Dankster
06-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Those who degrade MJ's greatness probably never saw him play in his prime. And there's no shame in that, it's not like every poster here is over 30 years old.

But if you had the fortune and privilege in watching him play like I did, you'd know there's no one that comes close in comparison. Absolutely no one.

If Jordan ever had someone of Wade's caliber on his team, he'd probably have started winning titles in the late 80's against the Lakers. His championship team rosters really were quite subpar outside of Pippen and Grant. His level of dominance that he had for so long while his team made constant shuffles to the roster will be hard for anyone to emulate, let alone trump.

And I agree with a few posters in that we should appreciate the talented players that are currently in the league, but not to the effect where we start forgetting just how great some of the players in the 80's/90's were.

Becks2307
06-24-2012, 01:12 PM
The disparity in accolades between Michael Jordan and Lebron is the only thing that makes Jordan better. If we're talking about individual skills only, I would take Lebron over Jordan to build my team.

NOPE, killer instinct, leadership etc etc. Jordan was a better shooter, a better 1v1 defender, more mentally strong.

He never lost in the finals, thats just crazy.

For Lebron to pass Jordan he will need 5 rings imo and he will need some more Boston game 6 like performances.

JasonJohnHorn
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
jordan's overrated.

SlimKid
06-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Those who degrade MJ's greatness probably never saw him play in his prime. And there's no shame in that, it's not like every poster here is over 30 years old.

But if you had the fortune and privilege in watching him play like I did, you'd know there's no one that comes close in comparison. Absolutely no one.

If Jordan ever had someone of Wade's caliber on his team, he'd probably have started winning titles in the late 80's against the Lakers. His championship team rosters really were quite subpar outside of Pippen and Grant. His level of dominance that he had for so long while his team made constant shuffles to the roster will be hard for anyone to emulate, let alone trump.

And I agree with a few posters in that we should appreciate the talented players that are currently in the league, but not to the effect where we start forgetting just how great some of the players in the 80's/90's were.

I think this answers the question.. Age plays a huge factor in people's assessment of MJ's greatness.. If you witnessed it first hand, you can't question it..

LJEATON26
06-24-2012, 01:45 PM
With MJ it wasn't just stats. He was greatness! Like 63 pts in a playoff game vs the Celtics in his 3rd year in the league, Rocking the Cradle in the dunk contest (Something Lebrons afraid to do), the shot vs the Jazz in the ECF, scoring 38 pts in 44 minutes in a finals game while he has the flu. What moments of greatness does Lebron have??? Scoring the last 25 pts vs the Pistons and what else?

MJ-BULLS
06-24-2012, 01:51 PM
I witnesses Jordan couple of time when i was a child. Ive see alot of young kids now and days say he isnt all that good, that he is overrated because he has his name in shoes etc. theres a reason he does have his name all over kinds of ****. :laugh2: he was that good.

LoveMeOrHateMe
06-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Diminishing Jordan's greatness is like diminishing kobes greatness it's a sad thing!

LoveMeOrHateMe
06-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Lmfao :facepalm:

Bos_Sports4Life
06-24-2012, 02:03 PM
The ONLY players who can be argued as being on his level/Slightly better are the following...

Russell
Kareem
Wilt

IMO

PRE 1980- Russell
POST 1980- MJ

Those 2 guys both won MVP's (5 each) and both won an amazing amount of titles (6 for mj, 11 for russell).

smiddy012
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Too many kids on this forum buyin into to ESPNs marketing campaign of Lebron. Of course ESPN wants another Jordan! That means more money for them.

MJ made the top 10 player he played with. When Lebron joined the Heat, he joined a top 3 and a top 15 player. Lebron quit on his team LITERALLY in the midst of his last playoffs as a Cavelier. MJ was one of the greatest shooters of all time. MJ played in an era where refs believed basketball was a physical sport, when players were aloud to hand-check. These are the key differences kids seem to forget. Not to mention the 24-0 record in the playoffs with HCA.

Sssmush
06-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Ugh. MJ was great, but was also incredibly overhyped during the 90's.

Now, 10 years or more after he's stopped playing, that he is STILL overhyped and people STILL furiously defend his legend like he is a religion or something, I don't know, it's somewhat annoying.

jam
06-24-2012, 06:05 PM
They have very different sports personalities. MJ always strove to rise to the occasion. He never gave up; he simply worked harder. If the NBA had an 8' tall center, Jordan would find a way to dunk over him. Jordan gravitates to pressure. An opposing coach said of him: "a perfect season for MJ would be 82 straight games where he had to take the last shot to win or lose the game."

LBJ is the complete opposite. He DOES NOT want to take the last shot. Instead of staying with his original team and working harder to reach his goals, he abandoned ship. The perfect season for LBJ would be 82 straight blowouts, not 82 straight pressure packed game where he was forced to shoulder the pressure of winning or losing the game for his team.

The numbers are close enough to invite debate, but the mentalities are a complete 180 degrees apart. MJ is a born leader, LBJ is a born follower.

JordansBulls
06-24-2012, 06:15 PM
I think a good measuring stick before you compare players to all time greats is that they should have played either 10 years already or retired. Once 10 years are up then comparisons are more legit.