PDA

View Full Version : Is The Miami Heat Winning Bad For The NBA

JasonJohnHorn
06-23-2012, 09:59 PM
The 2010 free-agency period has left it's mark on the NBA. Several teams made significant moves, practically giving away players, to clear cap space with the hopes of signing two or more free agents. New York and Miami come to mind, and Chicago managed to keep their books in order for that offseason as well. We all know what happened. There were three teams with franchise players; Miami, Toronto and Cleveland. We all know that Riley pulled off the biggest coup in the history of the NBA, and we all know how much hate if generated for fans around the NBA. Two teams dropped off the map and one team rose to the status of contender. Now Miami has been rewarded with an NBA title. So what does that mean for the NBA? Well, for one, it throws out the old model where teams built through the draft. Team like San Antonio and OKC were knocked out while the team that built itself strictly through free agency found itself on top of the heap. And we all know what happens when a team establishes a dynasty. People follow suit. The problem with that? It will ruin the parity of a league that is already struggling to keep teams competetive across the board. We saw dreadful performances from teams like Washington and Charlotte this seasons, and though Washington has made some moves forward since their dreadful start to the strike shortened seasons, Charlotte seems as far away as ever from reaching the playoffs. New York has seen the success Miami has had with their big three, and has already tried to replicate it. But what we are going to see over the next couple of seasons is big market teams clear capspace and then gut the rosters of small market teams to turn themselves into perenial contenders, which may be great for the casual fans who just want to watch the marquee names in the playoffs, but to loyal fans of the NBA, especially fans in small market areas, this means trouble. There is going to be a bigger gap between the lottery teams and the playoff teams and the lottery teams are going to have a hard time clawing their way back into the post season, let alone contending. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am. The Pacers and the Bulls, and well as OKC and SA have all done well building through the draft, but with teams like Miami winning championships while the teams that built through the draft watch their rosters get gutted by big spending, big-market teams, the NBA may be headed in the wrong direction.

Glen20
06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
yeh probably. you can blame a lack of talent also though.

shizzle09
06-23-2012, 10:17 PM
how many different champions in the last 30 years??? yeah, not many. miami winning one title has no negative effect on the NBA. attendance and ratings going up says otherwise.

Khri
06-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Honestly, Miami has put the NBA to another level. Miami has make the game more interesting and awesome, we are the Barcelona of Basketball.

ManRam
06-23-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't think it matters whether or not they won.

Star players wanting to leave small markets was going to happen either way, and it already has. The "Miami model" is just a time of our era. I don't think it's fair to blame the Heat though. It's not like these guys are like "wow, I didn't know I could leave this ****** city for a much nicer one in FA and play with better players"...

Little to no impact. Parity will continue to NOT exist, and it's not Miami's fault.

SteBO
06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
I get what you're saying, but this was beaten to death during the lockout, and my stance hasn't changed. Ratings have been higher than its ever been, so to say that it's bad for the league to be headed in the direction it's heading is very narrow minded thinking.......

Cal827
06-23-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't think so... There are so many Casual fans that run this league.. hurts for the fans of small-market teams that lose players though, but that likely comes down to a good FO... A couple things though.

1. The past two years show that you need a team effort in order to win it all. Look at it last year. Lebron tried to do stuff and ****ed up and Miami's bench was terrible when in comparison to Dallas's teamwork. Hell, after game 3, it just seemed like it was Wade + Bosh against Dallas, with how badly Lebron was locked up. This year, Miami needed to fight to get to the finals, and got timely preformances from their role players that ended up getting them the title, from Haslem, to Anthony, to Miller and Battier and Chalmers.

2. It's not like so many people predicted: That Miami would basically kill all of their opponents to the championsips. They lost last year, and they were almost elminated by both Indiana and Boston this season. The NBA finals might have been quick, but the series was very close other than game 5... Both teams could have potentially swept each other if they were able to close out. Think about next year, although they have two of the top 3 players in the League, one of the big three is going to start breaking down real soon (Wade). I doubt that they will remain the favorite in the East two years from now (next year I think they will cause teams gotta develop and Chicago won't challenge). OKC seemed to further separare from each other during the series: Harden was downright terrible, and Westbrook was Jekyll/Hyde. Durant was the only guy who did what he usually does.

MetroMan
06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Blaming Miami? Dont you mean Boston? I am 100% sure LeBron got the idea from failing against the Celts

Knicks21
06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Globally, the Heat have increased their fan base percentage through the roof since July of 2010. Living in Australia, almost 60% of the basketball fans are Heat fans. The NBA would make more money with Miami winning than OKC.

ManRam
06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Blaming Miami? Dont you mean Boston? I am 100% sure LeBron got the idea from failing against the Celts

I don't even buy this.

LeBron "got the idea" by being a free agent and realizing he can go wherever he wanted essentially. It's not like he needed to see something happen to realize he could go to Miami.

Just like ANY OF US would do, he went to a more attractive location, to work with his friends, and have the chance to be more successful. But unlike real life, he got bashed for doing so.

Glen20
06-23-2012, 10:46 PM
im going to vote yes :win:

neohemp
06-23-2012, 10:50 PM
I think it was less to do with being bashed for going to a good locale, to work with friends and be successful, and more being bashed for his approach. He not only had "The Decision" on TV, but he also made some disparaging remarks to fans and others. I remember his tweet saying he would "remember all the haters" like he was something special and was going to annihilate us all or something.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Honestly, Miami has put the NBA to another level. Miami has make the game more interesting and awesome, we are the Barcelona of Basketball.

You guys didn't make anything "more interesting and awesome", you just made ESPN and every sports analysis extremely annoying to watch.

Glen20
06-23-2012, 10:52 PM
I think it was less to do with being bashed for going to a good locale, to work with friends and be successful, and more being bashed for his approach. He not only had "The Decision" on TV, but he also made some disparaging remarks to fans and others. I remember his tweet saying he would "remember all the haters" like he was something special and was going to annihilate us all or something.

what does that have to do with miami winning?
Look, he broke your heart and we get it. #getoverit
stay on topic.

ManRam
06-23-2012, 10:55 PM
But if you strictly mean "bad for the NBA" in terms of business...then no. It's great. Rating were huge. The Heat sell, period. It's great for the NBA. Luckily, OKC is great for them too. It's also great for them that LAL, NYK, CHI etc are still huge draws.

Big markets and polarizing teams will be what do the best good for the NBA...and the Heat are both (to an extent...definitely polarizing, Miami isn't the hugest market tho).

Fnom11
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
If anything maybe we should blame the ****** small market front offices who draft horribly and give players bad deals. CLE failed for years surrounding LBJ with good talent, Magic have failed to sign good talent around Howard, New Orleans failed to surround CP3 with good talent. LA/CHI/BOST, yes while being large markets, are also known for drafting extremely well and signing good talent to reasonable deals.

Obviously there are exceptions to my point but I think you get the idea. I just don't think we can blame the players for wanting to leave bad organizations.

To add on, are we going to blame ANYONE who gets drafted to Charlotte if they want to leave? What about Davis is their front office continues to blow? How about John Wall who was supposed to be an all star in this league but apparently he can't even develop in Washington because of their incompetence.

tapajafri
06-24-2012, 01:50 AM

says the person who has a penisss in his sig and a kobe icon... it's obvious you're one of the few laker fans left in the world that still can't swallow his pride. it's funny, i actually became a lebron supporter because of all the laker fans that hated on lebron because he was better than kobe. grow up dude, u hate lebron cuz he stole kobe's thunder. end of story. stop embarrassing the rest of the laker fans that have some humility.

knickfan33
06-24-2012, 02:00 AM
as much as i hate the heat, the way you worded the votes is absolutely baiting.

i think the formation of big threes is bd for the NBA, but fact is, once formd, they should win. failure is a much bigger deal then them winnning, cause a team like that absoultely should win.

this is why the NBA and stern have done what they did during lockout and involvement in rades (g. Chris paul)... because this type of team forming kills the small market teams and competetive nature of the sport.

NBA overall is an absolute fail right now because of the formations of these teams, and the lack of toughness in the sport (eg. the referee problems everone is tlking about).. its sickening to watch these million dollar athletes cry after every little tap on the wrist... shut up and play. and refs... let them play.

NBAfan4life
06-24-2012, 02:07 AM
I don't even buy this.

LeBron "got the idea" by being a free agent and realizing he can go wherever he wanted essentially. It's not like he needed to see something happen to realize he could go to Miami.

Just like ANY OF US would do, he went to a more attractive location, to work with his friends, and have the chance to be more successful. But unlike real life, he got bashed for doing so.

Most people don't care that they teamed up. It is just the way they did it. They colluded together and basically held their franchises hostage as well as the teams dumb enough to clear cap space to have a chance at one of them.

I fully understand that honored their contract, but they let there teams think they had a chance with them when really they had none. It was decided long before their contracts ended.

Luckily I don't root for any of franchises involved, but still find pleasure rooting against the Heat all the same. i respect their talent but still hope they fail. Lebron earned it this year. At times I thought each of their last 3 opponents had what it was going to take to beat them. They held together and prevailed.

Was it good for the Nba meh I watched most of the Heat games when normally I wouldn't so IDK maybe.

NSJ
06-24-2012, 02:52 AM

lol except the Cs got together at a much later point in their career when they needed each other to accomplish the goal of winning a title. Lebron could have done it with a much lesser supporting cast in my opinion.

stay on topic.

Nice hash tag buddy...that guys comment actually had a lot to do with miami winning. Who was their best player and finals mvp? The guy he was talking about. Don't you think the question was aimed a little bit towards their best three players and not the team as a whole? If it wasn't for the way the team got together than the question wouldn't have been posed. If you want to talk about staying on topic than what the hell does your comment attribute to the conversation at hand?

Kevj77
06-24-2012, 03:41 AM
I hate it when people blame bigger or more desireable markets for all the small market woes. Small markets are more than viable if managed right look at the Spurs and OKC. Portland was also poised to be a great team, but injuries killed them.

Look at how the Lakers won their last two NBA titles. They already had Kobe just like Miami had Wade, but they drafted Bynum and traded for Pau, Ariza, Odom and even drafted or traded for bench player like Farmar and Brown. Their huge FA signings Fisher and Artest those guys aren't putting bad teams over the top.

Lets look at the Pau trade an expiring (Kwame), a prospect (Marc Gasol) and two late round first picks. Are you telling me that Cleveland couldn't have traded a package like that or better for Gasol and won a title, does Lebron leave if he has a ring? Why didn't they do that probably because Dan Gilbert didn't want to go that far into the luxury tax like Dr. Buss was willing to do to win. These teams have all had 7-8 years to put a championship caliber team around their stars.

Small market teams can and do compete with good management and big market teams that have bad management fail just as bad like the Knick with Thomas as GM.

neohemp
06-24-2012, 04:25 AM
stay on topic.

I was responding to ManRamForPrez24's post which specifically says he got "bashed for doing so" unlike real life. I was just responding that I don't think people bashed him for doing so. They bashed him for the way he approached it and some of the immature things he said.

Glen20
06-24-2012, 04:27 AM
I was responding to ManRamForPrez24's post which specifically says he got "bashed for doing so" unlike real life. I was just responding that I don't think people bashed him for doing so. They bashed him for the way he approached it and some of the immature things he said.

oh ok
well i wont lie. His personality ticks me off.

Cal827
06-24-2012, 04:37 AM
On a side note, If Howard was able to force a transfer to another team and win a title... then that would be bad for the NBA lol

3ballbomber
06-24-2012, 06:26 AM
as much as i hate the heat, the way you worded the votes is absolutely baiting.

i think the formation of big threes is bd for the NBA, but fact is, once formd, they should win. failure is a much bigger deal then them winnning, cause a team like that absoultely should win.

this is why the NBA and stern have done what they did during lockout and involvement in rades (g. Chris paul)... because this type of team forming kills the small market teams and competetive nature of the sport.

NBA overall is an absolute fail right now because of the formations of these teams, and the lack of toughness in the sport (eg. the referee problems everone is tlking about).. its sickening to watch these million dollar athletes cry after every little tap on the wrist... shut up and play. and refs... let them play.
THIS 1 million times over!

Big Zo
06-24-2012, 07:17 AM
The league can go 30+ years with only like 7 different teams winning a championship, and suddenly a new team rises, and it's bad for the NBA? GTFO.

dodie53
06-24-2012, 07:49 AM
there's no such thing as bad publicity

koreancabbage
06-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Basketball is so far behind the greatest sport in world : soccer.

and they have SUPER teams over there (europe), and not just 3 players, some have the entire soccer team of star players- if there is money, players will flock there and people will watch.

more stars on team= more winning (most of the time) = more fans = more fanbase= world wide domination for the sport

JARVIS123
06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Well lets see ,rondo,k.g.,pierce,allen all made the allstar in the same year.i guess that dont count cause the media say big 3 + rondo.

Glen20
06-24-2012, 08:10 AM
THIS 1 million times over!

if you have a problem with it, why not just stop watching?

JARVIS123
06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Why the knicks losing cant be good 4 the nba>?they big 3 didnt work out.just ask phil jackson.

06-24-2012, 09:16 AM

:facepalm: Barca would be ashamed reading your comment

SlimKid
06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
I know it's easy to assume that Miami is a "big market" team, but that's just not the case..
Desirable destination for a young millionaire? Absolutely! Big market? Not even close to LA,CHI,NY,BOS, etc. Miami has nothing to do with big vs. small market scenarios.

claymaker52
06-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Nhl>nba

JordansBulls
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Bad in the sense that now you may have other guys in there primes who end up doing the same thing, but good in the sense that it boost ratings because you will either love or hate the team.

knicks4life33
06-24-2012, 04:01 PM
naaaaaaaaaa

Cromedome
06-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Lebron James and the heat have ruined basketball as we know it.

D-Leethal
06-24-2012, 04:22 PM
They set a precedent and you are already seeing everyone becoming a FA turning into a fiasco. Nobody is re-upping with their teams which was the norm in the past. They have also forced other superstars to HAVE to do the same thing if they ever want a chance to compete with them.

Top MVP type players in the league shouldn't go ring chasing when they are 26 yrs old and in the early stages of their prime. But now those said MVP type players are going to have to do that in order to compete with the likes of Miami.

fishfan79
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
no different then boston trading for 2 star players. Or a trio of stars on the old lakers teams.

It is silly to judge this differently.