PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire uses homosexual slur to a Knicks Fan

Ilovetosuckdip
06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
:speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::s peechless:

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/06/23/offensive.or.private.amare.stoudemire.uses.gay.slu r.private.twitter.conversation.fan

Is a private conversation between Amar'e Stoudemire and a fan none of our business?
Is Amar'e Stoudemire using a homosexual slur totally inappropriate no matter what the form of communication is?

Your answer is probably yes for both questions.

Amar'e Stoudemire had a back-and-forth with a fan on twitter Saturday afternoon. After the fan criticized his play this past season, Stoudemire fired off a private direct message that included a term offensive towards gay people.

According to @BFerrelli:

http://www.iamagm.com/sites/default/files/amare-***.jpg?1340500918

please keep this thread clean

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2012, 09:36 PM
close thread/

ManRam
06-23-2012, 09:37 PM
I got rid of the "BREAKING NEWS" because it's not...

But yeah. I mutually follow one of the people that came forward a few days ago saying Amare PM'd things like this. I fully believe it. And if that's the case, well, shame on Amare.

http://deadspin.com/5920818?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Should he be penalized...IDK. But I'm sure the NBA won't be happy about this.

IndyRealist
06-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Um, no. He respresents the NBA and it affects the league's image. It's the same reason Hooters can make servers wear skimpy outfits and fire them for gaining weight. They have a corporate image they are trying to protect, just like the NBA.

SteBO
06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
If true, Amare should know better....simple as that.

Glen20
06-23-2012, 09:39 PM
he can have his opinion, but when he represents the NBA he should know where the line is

justinnum1
06-23-2012, 09:39 PM
i think amare regrets having melo come to NY

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Don't think the NBA should punish him for non NBA related stuff. Then again, didn't JR Smith get in trouble for something on Twitter.

StarvingKnick22
06-23-2012, 09:46 PM
first off, new guy stop putting up threads like crazy. they should make these guys wait until their 75th post to start puttin up pointless threads. everyone has a freedom of speech. should he really get introuble for callin someone something we call each others practically most of the time. and with a username like that, no one will take you seriously. close thread :facepalm:

ManRam
06-23-2012, 09:46 PM
he can have his opinion, but when he represents the NBA he should know where the line is

Explain to me what "opinion" he is having by saying "**** you, I don't have to do anything, ***".

Just curious what opinion he's voicing...

I don't think he'll get punished, but he's not "having an opinion" here...he's just being a hateful, overly-sensitive homophobic prick...

LongIslandIcedZ
06-23-2012, 09:48 PM
I dont think he should get in trouble by the NBA for this. Having said that, it was uncalled for and very immature for Amar'e. There are 'haters' everywhere, rise above them and be an adult.

D12 fan
06-23-2012, 09:50 PM
close thread/

Why because it's Amare and he plays for the Knicks?

heyman321
06-23-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFloXOuLgA

Ilovetosuckdip
06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
if i was a knicks fan, i would be more concerned with " i dont have to do a thing" than the homosexual slur

FlakeyFool
Oh no, a term 90% of the public uses daily

Ilovetosuckdip
first off, new guy stop putting up threads like crazy. they should make these guys wait until their 75th post to start puttin up pointless threads. everyone has a freedom of speech. should he really get introuble for callin someone something we call each others practically most of the time. and with a username like that, no one will take you seriously. close thread :facepalm:

go swallow a clip, you are a knicks fan with a chris paul avatar

have you ever heard of the salary cap? they cant get him

LOOTERX9
06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
if i was a knicks fan, i would be more concerned with " i dont have to do a thing" than the homosexual slur

i agree

Vinny642
06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah that is kind of funny, but the part where he says he dont need to do anything is questionable

Ilovetosuckdip
06-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah that is kind of funny, but the part where he says he dont need to do anything is questionable

he shld be fined for that more than the smur imo hahaha

Federal Reserve
06-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Unless Amare can yield the Knicks Nash, I don't want him on the team.

NYkillaPriest
06-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Explain to me what "opinion" he is having by saying "**** you, I don't have to do anything, ***".

I don't think he'll get punished, but he's not "having an opinion" here...he's just being a hateful, overly-sensitive homophobic prick...

I think he thinks that boy is gay...I think because he decided to use the PM instead of putting it out there on twitter for everybody to see if he is punished it will be minimal...some of you PSD Knick fans who keep knocking Amare might get one of these messages soon lol

NYkillaPriest
06-23-2012, 10:02 PM

No we shouldn't be because he clearly said that he just left the gym so we know he is working...he's a grown man and doesn't need anybody outside of a coach, owner or trainer telling him how to work

IgglesFanInCO
06-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Should he be penalized for his terrible use of punctuation? Yes. Penalized for saying a word many people use while intending it to be private? No.

I mean, the context of the usage had no derogatory sentiments to the homosexual community, if he had used another cuss word with the same connotation would it be a problem? Most likely not, I mean who would blame him for calling a fan a ***** or something, after all that's like 90% of PSD.

KW93KB24
06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
that was ****ing hilarious on Amare's part.

Punk
06-23-2012, 10:09 PM
This is ironic considering there are tons of gay people who play better than him. Seriously, he played softer than a baby's ***. Woody takes over, he grew balls, played better and we reel of 6 in a row. Go figure.

Also, some Knick fans deserve to be called any offensive name. I love my team and fellow fans but 30% of them are a flat out joke and should go **** off. Embarrasing people.

Amare apperently worked hard today on his post moves only for some loser to troll him.

heyman321
06-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I miss that word when it's obviously when used in a non homosexual light. Just like how "********" is looked as a devilish word now.

Knicks21
06-23-2012, 10:22 PM
He is saying he is trying to 'encourage him', dude deserves to be a ****** for speaking his mind unnecessarily.

knicksfan42
06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
:speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::s peechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::spe echless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speec hless:

Now I hate Amare, but the OP is a troll. This thread is stupid and people are completely over blowing the issue.

Now I don't think Amare should have responded to the guy and I do the the guys criticism was fair, though he should have called Amare out for his disgusting lack of effort, atrocious defense, and sub par rebouning.

I can guarantee that almost every NBA player uses the word *** and that they do so with at least some frequency.

Anyone who is legitimately shocked or speechless about this incident is an imbecile.

Knicks21
06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
This is ironic considering there are tons of gay people who play better than him. Seriously, he played softer than a baby's ***. Woody takes over, he grew balls, played better and we reel of 6 in a row. Go figure.

Also, some Knick fans deserve to be called any offensive name. I love my team and fellow fans but 30% of them are a flat out joke and should go **** off. Embarrasing people.

Amare apperently worked hard today on his post moves only for some loser to troll him.

So true.

ccspence8
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Oh no, a term 90% of the public uses daily

Seriously and *** isn't just used towards someone that is gay. Just like the n word means ignorant not necessarily have to be aimed at someone who is black.

Vinny642
06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
People do have to stop being so sensitive about stuff like this though, sensitive *** people.

tmacsc2
06-23-2012, 10:30 PM

I'm sure he isn't afraid of queers.

ManRam
06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm sure he isn't afraid of queers.

Uh...cool??? :shrug:

That's not what "homophobic" means necessarily. No **** he's not "afraid" of "queers". He's probably just prejudice.

A "homophobic" person isn't necessarily afraid of said people, they have "intense hatred" towards them.

FlakeyFool
06-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Interesting. I say *** occasionally and I don't have an intense hatred towards them

Green_Monster
06-23-2012, 10:45 PM
None of us even know what he said. Stop jumping to conclusions.

DragonJaii
06-23-2012, 10:46 PM
lol what a snitch

Fnom11
06-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Players have been fined using the word before, actually it's happened quite a bit. However, people who are still offended by derogatory words these days are pretty lame in my opinion.

FlakeyFool
06-23-2012, 11:08 PM
None of us even know what he said. Stop jumping to conclusions.

:facepalm:

JC_
06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
*** is such a general word these days.. If the guy he said it to is gay than it's an issue, if he's not than it's not a very big deal. There are people who feel like it's a totally homophobic thing to say but it's not even close to that for the younger generation.

Green_Monster
06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
:facepalm:

Amar'e Stoudemire had a back-and-forth with a fan on twitter Saturday afternoon. After the fan criticized his play this past season, Stoudemire fired off a private direct message that included a term offensive towards gay people.

Really? Tell me exactly what he said.

A big :facepalm: to you.

ManRam
06-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Really? Tell me exactly what he said.

A big :facepalm: to you.

He said...

"**** you. I don't hae to do any thing ***,"

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/06/fan-claims-amare-stoudemire-called-him-a-***-via-dm-on-twitter-photos/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+blacksportsonline/bso+(Robert+Littal+Presents+BlackSportsOnline

I know Markee Randolph too. Granted, not incredibly formally, but he wouldn't make this up. It's not just these two cases too...it's popped up ALL over twitter.

Green_Monster
06-24-2012, 12:04 AM
He said...

"**** you. I don't hae to do any thing ***,"

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/06/fan-claims-amare-stoudemire-called-him-a-***-via-dm-on-twitter-photos/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+blacksportsonline/bso+(Robert+Littal+Presents+BlackSportsOnline

I know Markee Randolph too. Granted, not incredibly formally, but he wouldn't make this up. It's not just these two cases too...it's popped up ALL over twitter.

That's all? ... I was expecting much worse. In this case, no, I don't think anything should be done. The word is throw around to much to only punish one person.

NYKnicksAllDay
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Uh...cool??? :shrug:

That's not what "homophobic" means necessarily. No **** he's not "afraid" of "queers". He's probably just prejudice.

A "homophobic" person isn't necessarily afraid of said people, they have "intense hatred" towards them.

I agree that using that term was stupid and unnecessary, but that doesn't mean we should assume he's prejudice. I've used it before, and know plenty of people who have, but that doesn't mean we're prejudice.

utl768
06-24-2012, 12:33 AM
the world will now end because amare said that

everyone get ready for the heavens to open up

StinkEye
06-24-2012, 01:04 AM
If the fan wasn't acting like a ****** then Amare should be ashamed of himself.

... anyone else thinking of the Louis CK standup?

Glen20
06-24-2012, 01:04 AM
amare is such a boss

jrm2054
06-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Maybe if the fan wasn't trolling like a dick amare wouldn't have said it. Honestly 95% of people i know say it even gay people i know say it i see no issue with that particular word

flatbush knicks
06-24-2012, 02:00 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
that was uncalled for

b@llhog24
06-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Non-issue.

BlinkManJan02
06-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Harmless. The definition of that really needs to be changed to ****ing idiot or douche bag. Or harley davidson bikers lmao.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-24-2012, 03:20 AM
He should get fined $100K just like Kobe last season. Fair is fair.

AntiG
06-24-2012, 03:36 AM
yes he should be punished for this. As an employee under contract with the NBA, he is subject to the league's personal conduct policy. What he says in his Twitter is public information and is a poor representation of the league and the franchise, and therefore should be punished as per conduct policy guidelines.

Nothing to do with being PC or offending gays.

naps
06-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Immature players should stay away from social media. If you, as a professional athlete, let a fan get into your head then you are a dumb. And I never thought of Amare as a smart one so not surprised really.

KB24PG16
06-24-2012, 03:52 AM
didnt kobe do this too and get fined like 100k or something

edit: yea he did http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6344596

cutiepie80
06-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Amare reached his peak in Phoenix. He doesn't have the game for what he is being paid and has no personality for the limelight.

LakersMaster24
06-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Not sure how this is a big deal? :confused:

Why do people get so nervous, and sensitive about anything that has any anti-gay implications? Why dont you people react the same when straight people are called inappropriate words? Or does this rule only apply to gay people?

If you want society to accept and live along gay people freely, stop bringing EVERYTHING up to create tension.

b@llhog24
06-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Not sure how this is a big deal? :confused:

Why do people get so nervous, and sensitive about anything that has any anti-gay implications? Why dont you people react the same when straight people are called inappropriate words? Or does this rule only apply to gay people?

If you want society to accept and live along gay people freely, stop bringing EVERYTHING up to create tension.

:clap:

OutOfTHEBLUE
06-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Wow...the amount of insensitivity and ignorance in this thread is pretty appalling. I guess this just serves as a reminder that even dumb people have internet access.

The term f*g is no different than using racial slurs such as ni**er and bean*r.

StarvingKnick22
06-24-2012, 09:16 AM
go swallow a clip, you are a knicks fan with a chris paul avatar

have you ever heard of the salary cap? they cant get him
uh, that has nothing to do with the situation. and are you telling me that since we hav 3 million in the cap space, i cant have a picture of chris paul? get off the NBA Forum

fadedmario
06-24-2012, 09:17 AM
What an idiot.

IndyRealist
06-24-2012, 10:26 AM

You don't see how those are contradictory statements?

Dankster
06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I really hope this is the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Stat needs to go, he hasn't looked like himself in a year and a half. If Glen Grunwald can get him out of Gotham and potentially get something "decent" in return, I'd say he's the frontrunner for GM of the year next season.

kdspurman
06-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Somewhere, Grant Hill & Jared Dudley are shaking their heads

rickshaw
06-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I guess he plays COD on Xbox live.

Anyway, I'm sure if a white player called someone a N***** there would be discipline.

YashBoone
06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I gotta admit, I hate threads like this because now people will post about how much of a terrible human being amare is knowing damn well that we ALL say things we don't mean when we are pissed.... Right?

aztr0
06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Amare is wrong to respond. There's no way to defend it.

GiantsSwaGG
06-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Trade him please!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Maybe if the fan wasn't trolling like a dick amare wouldn't have said it. Honestly 95% of people i know say it even gay people i know say it i see no issue with that particular word

he wasnt trolling Amare, everything he said was true

nicegoing
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
In this day and age, how on earth can you do this? I know he can delete DMs but it's so easy to print screen the message. He isn't the brightest athlete though let's be honest, punching fire extinguishers and showing up eating popcorn looking like Run DMC at the Heat game.

nicegoing
06-24-2012, 12:19 PM
His threads are usually pretty good, he provides the forum with lots of news and reports. And you are one to talk, for the longest time you posted images after every post pretending to have a signature.

ManRam
06-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Shutting this down before it continues to get more and more ugly.