PDA

View Full Version : Getting Nervous

rocowear21
06-23-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't know if anyone is feeling what I'm feeling but I am really nervous. All this talk about other teams looking at Nash, Ryan, and we haven't even made a single move yet. I understand its early but teams in the east are getting better. If the flyers grab one of these guys they are going to be scary as the hurricanes and pitts have gotten better. I think Parise resigns with the Devils.

Do you guys really think we are pushing hard for these guys and what other small moves do you think Sather is looking at (Dubi being traded) replacement for prust ext....

MJL80
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
every team in our division is making moves but us. I also believe Lou will find a way to resign Parise.

I don't want Glen to make a move out of desperation, but I HOPEEEEE he's got some things brewing behind the scenes. Our division is getting a hell of alot tougher by the day, and we're going to be taking a step back without Gabs for a few months.

So yes, I guess you could say I'm starting to get a little nervous as well =o/

SportsNY
06-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I think the Rangers hope they can take care of their own players first (Prust/Dubinsky). I'd like them to be aggressive and sign someone...NOW.

IAmARanger18
06-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Glen said "I will be fairly active in the free agent market" So look for him to spend, will probably go for one of Parise/Semin/Doan

Then look for Ryan in a trade, but they want Stepan and that prolly wont happen.

MJL80
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Parise is not coming here..... If he doesn't resign with the devils, I could see him going to Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Minnesota all before even considering us IMO. I also think Doan is going nowhere. No thanks to Semin!!

If giving up Stepan brings us Ryan, you do it in a heartbeat. I love Derek and the potential is there, but Ryan is a proven star in this league and exactly what we need. He'd just have to change his number, we've got that one hanging up over MSG =o)

Swift n Sil3nt
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
I think we are being impatient if we are expecting a trade or big splash so soon. The Knicks did not understand the leverage they had in a trade, and they gave up more assets than needed. The Rangers do not want to depart with too much of the team to acquire top talent. There is too much time until the start of the season to meet the demands of Howson and overspend. It is not like anyone else is offering the right package at this time either.

rocowear21
06-24-2012, 12:14 AM
I would do stepan in a heartbeat for ryan as well. You have to do that trade as ryan is only a couple years older lol. I am sorry that I am impatient but with the east getting tougher and us standing pat it gets me worried. With gabs out I am nervous for the next season because I do believe that we are that one scorer away from winning it all.

IAmARanger18
06-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Flyers are planning to go all in on Parise.
John Buccigross of ESPN believes the Rangers will eventually land Ryan.
As long as Stepan is not in a deal for Ryan, I am fine with it.

IAmARanger18
06-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Stepan is 21 years old and coming off back to back 50 point seasons, who fills the hole at 2nd line Center? Dubinsky or Anisimov? Yeah no thanks, if Sather moves Stepan then he is an idiot.

Sorry but there is NO reason at all to move Stepan, it will be the dumbest thing he ever did, yes worse than the Gomez/Redden signing....

Isca92
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Heres my problem, while we have guys that give it 100% game in game out most of our home grown forwards are second round or later picks. Now yes good players slip, I know that but theres a difference in a top 5 picks skills then someone who goes mid to late second round and out. We have a goalie and d that can keep us at 2 goals against or less but we cant score 3 goals a game, because most our forwards are not top end skill. While most people say stay the course let them develop they forget that other teams top picks are developing as well. Edmonton has all the writing on the wall to be the next hawks/pens.

Heres what worries me about the trading. 1 if the flyers land Ryan they could still get another d. If they get Parise they can still get another d. If Parise goes to the Pens that would be one sick 1/2 punch. Then any team that Sather calls know they have him by the balls. They have opened the window of opportunity to the cup run but if they stand pat the window will close quickly. I dont want Hank to be the next Kipper.

Redfish
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
There isn't a need to be nervous. I don't see the Flyers as having gotten better, yet, and losing Staal and Michalek for Suter (in terms of day 1 lineup changes) is not an improvement, yet. Perhaps longer-term, as players & picks develop, yes, but that remains to be seen and, importantly, the offseason is not nearly over. So, all teams still have ample opportunities to improve, including the Rangers.

Let's revisit this at end of the offseason. We need more scoring and defensive depth -- let's see how Sather gets this done, if at all, by end of offseason.

Mr.Wiskers
06-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Forget about dealing Stepan, we are looking to get over the hump and dealing a piece to get a piece still leaves us back to where we started. If we are making a deal it has to be for picks, prospects and players who don't fit in are style/system. I said this before in another forum, as I was watching the draft I saw the Carolina's GM made a comment that it was the Staal brother's dream to play together. And when the comment was made about him needing 1 more Staal to make it happen, he went silent. Conspiracy Theory: would he be looking to get Marc next? What would he be willing to give up? Marc has 3yrs left on his contract, he's a big,young,physical d-man who blocks shots and who logs 24/25 min./gm. If we were to sign Schultz(ELC) and Suter to solidify are defense(Suter/Girardi--McDonagh/MDZ--Schultz/Sauer or Erixon or Stalman) we could deal Staal and say St.Croix and/or Thomas for Skinner.

Isca92
06-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Mr Wiskers, Schultz and Suter signing here and flipping Staal for Skinner seems like a pipe dream. From all the rumored reports Schultz wants to sign somewhere hes gaurenteed to be in the top 4.

Mr.Wiskers
06-24-2012, 01:22 PM
If we dealt Staal or MDZ for a forward, he'd be in our top 4.

Mr.Wiskers
06-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Well he'd be in our top 4-eventually. I think he didn't sign with Ana.(who drafted him because he wanted to say in the northeast). As there's rumors that he'd like to sign with one of the Canadian teams, though he played with Stepan and McDonagh.

nyr1980
06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
There is nothing to be nervous about. A lot of deals centering around Ryan and Nash will hinge upon where guys like Parise and Semin land.

However, the Rangers still have the advantage IMO at least with Nash, as Nash has a full NMC, the Rangers are on his list, and they actually have the assets to get him, as well as the money (real dollars) to pay him.

oak2455
06-24-2012, 01:42 PM
There is nothing to be nervous about. A lot of deals centering around Ryan and Nash will hinge upon where guys like Parise and Semin land.

However, the Rangers still have the advantage IMO at least with Nash, as Nash has a full NMC, the Rangers are on his list, and they actually have the assets to get him, as well as the money (real dollars) to pay him.

I agree they're in great shape

freddy686
06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Sather is smart , he knows howson has to deal nash before july 1st .. otherwise teams will go in another direction , includeing the rangers .. see nash next week being ours , the rangers are on his list of teams.. and he doesnt like the flyers so u can forget about them.. howson is a tool , if he doesnt trade him and loses him for nothing he will get fired.. passing on forsberg in the draft was stupid too .. especially when ur going to be loseing nash.. man im glad howson isnt our gm..

nyr1980
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Howson should have already lost his job. He has had zero success in Columbus, he's continued their MO up to now of poor drafting/player development, and now his franchise wants out.

Their ownership group is crazy to be trusting him with a task of this magnitude.

J4KOP99
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
If you're already getting nervous, then I think the rest of us should pool some money together and send you on a vacation w/o any internet.

-We are fine. Even if we do not get Nash or Ryan (I'm not even considering Parise anymore) I still wouldn't worry. Sather, torts, and co. need to make a few small moves and we should be right back where we were last year.

Add a defensive piece (it doesn't have to be one of the big fish), add a top 6 forward (I can see Nash coming, but if we get any other big name player, I think it will be someone who we haven't heard about yet) and, if prust leaves, fill in our 4th line.

The off-season JUST started. There is plenty of time.

rocowear21
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
If you're already getting nervous, then I think the rest of us should pool some money together and send you on a vacation w/o any internet.

-We are fine. Even if we do not get Nash or Ryan (I'm not even considering Parise anymore) I still wouldn't worry. Sather, torts, and co. need to make a few small moves and we should be right back where we were last year.

Add a defensive piece (it doesn't have to be one of the big fish), add a top 6 forward (I can see Nash coming, but if we get any other big name player, I think it will be someone who we haven't heard about yet) and, if prust leaves, fill in our 4th line.

The off-season JUST started. There is plenty of time.

Yeah I'm getting nervous because other teams are getting stronger and we are standing pat. I have a hard time believing our king can have the same kind of season again where we ride on his back all year. Last year was his best year and though I would love for him to have a better one this year he might not.

Carolina got better, Pitts got better, Flyers will improve, Ottawa is gonna be good again, even Florida is something to worry about now. We need to be able to score goals and we were what almost last last year.

Its been said that scoring was our main priority this off season and I know we will do something but it gets me nervous hearing ryan is interested in the flyers and howson is demanding a kings ransom.

You said yourself the rangers are gonna get a top six forward in your post. Well if its for Nash as you said then we are going to be giving up some major pieces to get him. Our team should be in multiple rumors at this point, not just for nash and ryan. We will be losing a stud D man if that trade happens, probably a second line center, and maybe even another player. So yeah I think we should all be a little nervous.

We all just want our club to be great again next season, I guess I am just a big time fan as I follow the rangers everyday even during the off season.

nyr1980
06-24-2012, 07:54 PM
I agree there is a definite need to add another premium forward, and to do so without compromising major pieces that they couldn't replace.

However, with players like Ryan and Nash, who have asked for a trade and thus must be moved, the longer that plays out, the more advantageous it is for the team trying to acquire them.

Prices move down, GM's get desperate, and other teams fall out of the running due to impatience.

And again, Nash has limited his teams options for three reasons:
1) Full NMC with only 6 or 7 teams viewed as ok destinations.
2) High cost in assets, real money, and cap space limits the number as well as lots of teams wont commit.
3) No matter what they say, I don't believe they trade him in the division.

Mr.Wiskers
06-24-2012, 08:19 PM
nyr1980, you are right--Nash is basically forcing his way here for all the reasons you mentioned and I don't think we will be giving up anything more than MDZ,Dubinsky, a prospect or 2 and picks. Just don't see us giving up a core player--we'd be back where we started from if we did. Though I'd prefer Ryan-NJ boy,makes 2 mil. Less.

nyr1980
06-24-2012, 08:45 PM
I'd be ok with Ryan. Price might be higher with him though on terms of a core piece. ANA supposedly would want a young, but established defenseman they can plug in for 20+ mins a night right away. That would likely mean MDZ.

I don't feel like they can give up a top-4 man.

Now while a superstar like Nash usually requires a top-4 Dman, Columbus being in a complete rebuild might mean they take a guy like Erixon or McIlrath, a future top-4 guy, but not so right now.

nyr1980
06-24-2012, 09:02 PM
What shocks me most is that Howson failed to make deal at the draft, missing his chance to add picks from this years draft.

Again, another reason why that guy shouldn't have a job.
He's charged with rebuilding a team, and you do that with prospects and picks. He had the number 2, but flips 3 picks for Bobrovsky? Makes no sense.

Honestly, an offer of Dubinsky, a first, plus Erixon and Miller is a nice deal for them.
It would have given them another 1st this year, plus two recent 1st rounders who project as a top-4 defenseman and a top-6 forward respectively within the next couple of years. It's not like they win anything in that time frame anyway, so why not take solid young assets that project very well and can have time to develop.

And in the case of Erixon, all reports indicate that he's a very safe bet as a top-4.

Dubinsky could also have likely been immediately flipped for another pick or two.

Again, bad job by Howson. I think he's missed his chance at best possible return.

rocowear21
06-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Lets not forget though guys that they dont have to trade Nash if they really don't want to. Now that would be a really stupid idea if they didn't but you never know with howson still at the helm.

nyr1980
06-24-2012, 09:26 PM
That's true. They're not OBLIGATED to trade him. But they essentially MUST move him. Anytime a player of Nash's caliber and importance asks for a trade, it's something that has to happen. Period.

You get as much as you can, cut your losses, and move on.

Isca92
06-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Nyr1980, I agree Ryan will be as costly as Nash. I also think Dubinsky could have easily been flipped for a first considering Gaustad got one. Which helps the rebuild, sure he likes to call it reshaping but its far from that. I agree he cant go to a team in division and I believe they cant risk talking to a team not on the list and have Nash say no.

What shocks me is Howson still has a job. I think the trade has to be respectable like Staal and Schenn/JVR trades but he wants to get the moon. While he says he doesnt need to trade Nash, I feel he has to. I dont believe Nash would pull act like a baby stuck there he may not give his 100 percent. Thats gonna be an awkard situation in the locker room. Would you want that attitude of things are going nowhere here around your young players in the locker room.

Ownership is in a tough spot here. If they fire Howson then the next GM has to get rid of the face of the franchise, any time something went arong it would be his fault cause he got rid of Nash. Does Howson know thats going to be when he is fired and hopes if he gets the moon for Nash and can safe face. Then well see if ownership is as awful as Howson.

Mr.Wiskers
06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
We should have our picks 1-6 rd. next yr.(we traded 7th rd. for Scott) plus 2 extra 3rd rd. picks (Wolski trade and Nash. Switched this yr. for next) in a year where (the commentators kept saying is gonna be a better draft than this yr. and deeper draft with better talent)there will be better players.

nyr1980
06-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Isca, I agree. It's a total rebuild for them. When you finish last in the league, miss the playoffs for the 10th time in 11 seasons, and trade the face of your franchise, you're rebuilding.

Howson probably only still has a job is because he got someone to take Jeff Carter's contract, and managed to get Jack Johnson and a 1st. That alone probably saved his job.

But that alone proves how he missed the boat with Nash. He got a nice return on Carter because he didn't wait. He shopped the guy, fielded the offers, picked the best one, and took it. If he waited, no way he lands a puck mover like Johnson.

And it's even harder with Nash and his contract/NMC. Fewer teams he'll go to, fewer teams they can trade with.

Allegedly, Howson turned down a deal of Dubinsky, Erixon, Miller, Thomas, and a 1st.
That's exactly the deal you take under the circumstances. 3 prospects with nice upside, an established top-6 forward, and a 1st is a nice boost to re-building. I doubt he got a better offer.

Moreover, being over a barrel, probably means no one offered an elite prospect like a Kreider or Schenn. Hard to get that kind of player when everyone knows you've no choice but to move the guy.

His window for best possible return is closed, IMO.

IAmARanger18
06-25-2012, 06:11 PM
5 team list for Justin Schultz.

NYR, Phi, EDM, VAN and EDM are the 5 teams likely to pursue him.

rocowear21
06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
As I posted in the other thread if we do indeed trade delzotto to Anahiem then Schultz would be awesome to acquire.

Hags Richards Ryan
Semin Stephan Callahan (Till Gabs comes back)
Kreider AA ??
Mitchell Boyle ??

We would easily have the cap room to get these players with the trades of Dubi and delzotto, a pick and prospect to anahiem for ryan.

Maybe get a 3rd line center and move AA to wing and a grinding hard working 4th line guy to replace prust if we cant sign him. Cap shouldnt be a problem at all.

On D we are looking at

Girardi MCD
Staal Schultz
Erixon Stralman

bsi
06-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Well the only problem with dealing DelZotto and replacing him with Schultz is that this time last year we would have been proclaiming Erixxon as a suitable replacement for a top 4 spot as he was supposed to be the most NHL ready defenseman not playing in the NHL, much the same as Schultz is right now. I think we should sign him, but we gotta keep our top 4 until we see if he can play in the NHL. If he can, and McIrath and Erixxon are good to go too then we can make a move, but I don't think going into next season with only 3 capable NHL defensemen is a good strategy.

nyr1980
06-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Erixon and Schultz are completely unproven guys and not only can you not expect either of them to step in and play top-4 minutes right away, but also you can't assume Torts will trust them, and you can't assume either will replace MDZ's production.

Unless they have a proven vet, who can play those minutes and put up the necessary numbers, it's very dangerous to trade MDZ.

J4KOP99
06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Trading MDZ in a package for a forward is only creating a new problem for us (even if we somehow sign schultz)

We will definitely have to add some reliable veteran pieces to the defense if we do actually trade MDZ.

Remember guys, what we currently have is working well. We just need to fill in a few small holes. Once you start making huge trades, then things get a little out of whack. That's not to say that the end result won't be better but if we send multiple "core" pieces away, then we obviously need to bring new guys in.

I am not relying on schultz just stepping right in a being a reliable top-4 defense man. Even if he is, we clearly saw at the end of our playoff run that we need more defensive depth. (If we lose MDZ)

---I really want suter but that seems more and more unrealistic and most of you guys seem to be focusing more on offense. (which I can't say I disagree with)

If we could somehow sign Suter and then somehow sign shultz and then somehow pull off the Dubi + MDZ + whatever else for Ryan, then we would be talking... but that's 3 too many "somehows"

IAmARanger18
06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Schultz can very well come in and be the next Matt Gilroy, I am not sold on him coming in and being a top 4 D right off the bat, same thing with Erixon, he didn't look good at all when he played last season. He was soft on the puck, he was getting tossed around like a rag doll, he needs possibly one more year before he makes it here.

Trading Del Zotto creates a HUGE hole in our defense, we have the BEST top 4 in the league, why do people insist on messing it up for a maybe prospect?

Isca92
06-25-2012, 09:31 PM
NYR1980, Carter was a huge gamble and it failed miserable. They got Jack Johnson and it has worked out, but Im interested in how this plays out for Johnson. Johnson has been the worst player +/- combined over the last 4/5 years at -75 roughly, yet finished as a plus as a CBJ. It may not be the best stat, if a guys on a bad team and has a minus its cause hes out all the time and they ride him (Nash) but when hes on a good team and has a large minus compared to his teammates thats something to worry about. Funny how he leaves and they win. That was a gamble for Lombardi considering the rumors of Carter being a bad teammate (hartnal situation) and a major partier. It worked out cause it gave them 2 solid scoring lines.

If Im Howson, I want a Dubinsky on my team. I would say show up play your game and get your value where I can get something for you at the deadline. Gaustad with no remaining salary got a first, Dubis better then him and has one year left, soncould get more pieces My problem with Dubinsky on this team besides for being slightly overpaid is I feel with him and Cally cannot be on the same line and be relied on to score. They will chip but come playoff time they cant be relied to carry the load when the top line is being shutdown. Paid to much to be a third liner but what fans have grown to love about him others do as well and some better making one expendable and we all now know who the one to get rid off is. I remember when I signed up on here that was always the big arguement Cally or Dubi back then Dubi always had more support.

Howson cant get full value because on the NMC. Nash is going to a contender and no contender is going to give their keepers just because he has to get rid of his. The problem now is does Nash shorten his list because its taking this long or other teams say take it or leave it. I do feel like the team that gets him will get his contracts worth out of him but that will hopefully be seen in a few months (hopefully no lockout).

The problem for the Rangers is strike out while the rest of the division gets better. If Parise stays in division and Ryan or Suter come into the division, thats when Sather may get desperate. If Parise goes west and Suter stays west then Sathers not as desperated.

This is the best part of offseason. I love the speculation of who goes where or any shocker moves of wow didnt see that coming.

nyr1980
06-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Isca, I agree that Howson should take a guy like a Dubinsky. He's a tone setter guy who can help a team build an identity, which may be the biggest fault with Columbus, as after 11 years, the whole organization has no identity.

I do feel that even coming off of last season, Dubinsky is slightly overpaid. However, I'm not ready to call him a 3rd liner. Personally, I just feel he had a bad season and that he's a legit 20-30 goal, 50-60 point guy, and that this past season was the aberration, not the norm. I also feel Dubi did a lot of it to himself as I feel he passed up a lot of shots. He only had 140 shots all season. Hard to score 20+ on that number.

Breaking up the top-4 shouldn't be considered. It is a major strength that no other team can match. 2 All-Stars already, and the scary part is that the other two guys are better and only stand to improve. I agree that it is the leagues best top-4.

bsi
06-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Honestly I'd like to see this management not panic and stand pat for the most part. I like our forwards, and replacing Fedotenko with Thomas or Miller will make them much better along with having Kreider for a year and Hagelin and Stepan with some time under their belts might be more consistant. Dubinsky, Boyle and Anisimov should be able to contribute more, and if all that happens I think we're a better team anyway, maybe add a Whitney or Sullivan for depth and PP. The only spot I'd like to see some help is the bottom pair d, and maybe McIlrath or Erixxon is ready, but I'm not sure, for that reason I think we should add another depth D and hope one of those guys is ready, or maybe Schultz if we can sign him. I'd much rather continue the way we are going, I personally think we already added our "top 6 guy" in Kreider, he'll be much better with the experience he gained this year. I really think DelZotto is about to become our top all around D man, he was much stronger on the puck last year and while McDonagh looked great, he doesn't seem to have the offensive side of the game that DelZotto has, just yet anyway.

9GRAVES9
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
what do you guys think ???

delzotto/anisimov/thomas/1st/3rd for ryan

dubi /richards /ryan
krieder /stepan /callahan
hagelin /boyle /brodziak
rupp /konopka/ moen
(gabby)

Girardi /Staal
Mcdonaugh /Schultz
Erixon / Bickell

sauer/mcilrath/stralman

signing brodziak,schultz,konopka,moen

that can all definitly happen, and i'd be fine with that lineup.

nyr2002nyr
06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Honestly I'd like to see this management not panic and stand pat for the most part. I like our forwards, and replacing Fedotenko with Thomas or Miller will make them much better along with having Kreider for a year and Hagelin and Stepan with some time under their belts might be more consistant. Dubinsky, Boyle and Anisimov should be able to contribute more, and if all that happens I think we're a better team anyway, maybe add a Whitney or Sullivan for depth and PP. The only spot I'd like to see some help is the bottom pair d, and maybe McIlrath or Erixxon is ready, but I'm not sure, for that reason I think we should add another depth D and hope one of those guys is ready, or maybe Schultz if we can sign him. I'd much rather continue the way we are going, I personally think we already added our "top 6 guy" in Kreider, he'll be much better with the experience he gained this year. I really think DelZotto is about to become our top all around D man, he was much stronger on the puck last year and while McDonagh looked great, he doesn't seem to have the offensive side of the game that DelZotto has, just yet anyway.

Agreed lets not go into full panic mode!

We werent that far away from it all last year lets tweak it not go into full change mode.

Isca92
06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
NYR1980, its not that I think Dubi is a third line player but I dont think him and Cally can play on the second line together, due to the lack of pure scoring ability. Plus with Kreider and Hagelin he gets slotted to the third with a healthy Gabs.

Bsi, I forget which beat writer but believe it was Andrew Gross, said Gordie thinks both Thomas and Mcilrath both need a full year in the AHL. Saturday will be telling, if Parise ends up in Pitt and Philly turns around and trades for Ryan, I dont think our top 6 would be strong enough with to compete.

bsi
06-26-2012, 05:56 PM
I guess my problem is that we went from 8th to first in one year, 2nd overall and we've added Kreider and have the chance to add some more pieces internally. I'm just worried that a big trade might put us back a step, as it seems most are willing to part with key pieces such as DelZotto to land a big fish. I don't think we're far off, and I do think we have the pieces already to become successful, it just might not happen overnight. But what we did last year was a huge leap in terms of progress especially considering we made it to the third round. If we had finished 8th again, I'd be all for making some big moves, but we finished first in the East, and made it to the Eastern Conference finals in what was thought to be one of the toughest divisions in the league and we had the worst schedule in the East by far starting with our trip overseas. It seems like this group bonded and came so far in a year, I just wonder what could happen with a couple more of our young players and with another year of this team together, and maybe a vet or two thrown in for depth. Also, as many would guess I wouldn't be taking Fedotenko, Eminger or Stralman back, and I'd only take Bickel if he's gonna be back and forth between the AHL and here as an enforcer because he can't keep up with the play, his quickness isn't there. Mitchell I don't mind as he's ok on faceoffs, but if someone were to take his spot it wouldn't bother me either.

nyr1980
06-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Isca, I think That's a valid. You need at least one premium offensive guy each on your top 2 lines.

It didn't work early on last season, but I really like Dubi with Gabs and Richards. He's just the kind of player who fits with a play making center and a sniper. But at this point, guys like Kreider or Hags probably do get slotted in front of him.

To tell you the truth, the best way to get the most out of Dubinsky would likely be to play him with a big, two-way center, but the Rangers don't have that guy.

nyr1980
06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Again, there are a number of guys available that fit the needs of this team. Moreover, this is a desirable destination, and the assets are likely there to make a deal without taking too much off the roster, provided they make the right deal.

NYRFan76
06-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't see why we need to trade for Schultz? Our defense is fine... I thought they played great last season. We need a sniper and someone who can quarterback our powerplay. Let's be frank... our team's powerplay hasn't been up to par in quite sometime. I think the missing pieces to the puzzle is a pure sniper and a powerplay quarterback. Not Schultz. In the end its just going to cost the team cap space. I rather put the money into a package in something we truly need.

I know its early, but I am also wondering why we haven't made any moves in the early off season while other Eastern teams improve their roster?

Everyone is forgetting that we signed Kreider late in the season. I think he has potential to be our sniper? Perhaps that's why they haven't made any big moves?

I am going to miss Prust. I think it is a mistake by Sather to lose Prust.

BTW... according to the latest articles he prefers a Canadian team. He'll either be Vancouver or Toronto bound.

Mr.Wiskers
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
We haven't lost Prust yet, he's going to see what offers he gets in free agency---he would have to get more than the 2yr/3.6 mil we offered and even that doesn't garantee he leaves as the Rangers could up their offer.
Schultz is a free agent, he's only gonna cost money and with an ELC it's not gonna be much more than 3 yrs/5 mil. Or so.

Mr.Wiskers
06-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Free agency starts July 1st. Only trades are being done and right now the top available players won't be moved till the top free agents sign contracts.

Isca92
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Bsi, while they went from 8-1, I feel they over achieved. Theres always the risk of losing on a trade. As Ranger fans we know that, but is this team better then a healthy Pens team. Is it worth waiting while Oilers develop? Their will always be kids coming up, they dont need man size to break into the league any more. They are in position to make 2 very good lines, Im all for it.

Nyrfan and Mr Wiskers, Schultz would make out defense better and allow us to give up everyones favorite whipping boy or erixon. Hes salary sill be 2 years and a cap hit of 3.75, which is max for his type of UFA status, its base salary + plus signing bonus + bonus incentives all maxed to average out at 3.75.

bsi
06-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Bsi, while they went from 8-1, I feel they over achieved. Theres always the risk of losing on a trade. As Ranger fans we know that, but is this team better then a healthy Pens team. Is it worth waiting while Oilers develop? Their will always be kids coming up, they dont need man size to break into the league any more. They are in position to make 2 very good lines, Im all for it.

Nyrfan and Mr Wiskers, Schultz would make out defense better and allow us to give up everyones favorite whipping boy or erixon. Hes salary sill be 2 years and a cap hit of 3.75, which is max for his type of UFA status, its base salary + plus signing bonus + bonus incentives all maxed to average out at 3.75.

Well, really we don't know yet. The team hasn't completed it's rebuild from within. We've still got holes in it. If Kreider plays like he's projected, and one of Thomas, Yogan, Miller, etc can play next year, as well as Erixxon or McIlrath, we are a better team than last. I just think we'll end up doing what we always have and send some young players away that turn out better than the player we're getting. For once I'd like to see this team stick to it's guns and trust Gordie Clarke

Redfish
06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't see why we need to trade for Schultz? Our defense is fine... I thought they played great last season. We need a sniper and someone who can quarterback our powerplay. Let's be frank... our team's powerplay hasn't been up to par in quite sometime. I think the missing pieces to the puzzle is a pure sniper and a powerplay quarterback. Not Schultz. In the end its just going to cost the team cap space. I rather put the money into a package in something we truly need.

I know its early, but I am also wondering why we haven't made any moves in the early off season while other Eastern teams improve their roster?

Everyone is forgetting that we signed Kreider late in the season. I think he has potential to be our sniper? Perhaps that's why they haven't made any big moves?

I am going to miss Prust. I think it is a mistake by Sather to lose Prust.

BTW... according to the latest articles he prefers a Canadian team. He'll either be Vancouver or Toronto bound.

Our defense is not fine, if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. Stralman and Del Zotto cannot handle top-4 minutes in a deep playoff run. That was proven this post season, and we played without a 6th defenseman for the most part.

We need Sauer or a comparable replacement to log ~20 minutes in a top 4 role, PLUS another bottom pairing d-man to compliment MDZ.

oak2455
06-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Our defense is not fine, if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. Stralman and Del Zotto cannot handle top-4 minutes in a deep playoff run. That was proven this post season, and we played without a 6th defenseman for the most part.

We need Sauer or a comparable replacement to log ~20 minutes in a top 4 role, PLUS another bottom pairing d-man to compliment MDZ.

Agreed that and a guy who can blast the puck from the point....

bsi
06-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Our top 4 is fine...DelZotto is fine, our bottom 2 is the problem. When you have your top 4 playing 96% of the time they are gonna get tired out, no other team in the league plays 4 defensemen as much as we do. Our bottom pairing has to be capable of giving our top 4 a break from time to time, they can't be out there every second shift, no other team does that. Girardi played 53 minutes one night, and Bickel played 3 because he can't be trusted out there. Meanwhile they're blocking shots and playing against all 4 lines. Our problem doesn't lie in the top 4, it lies in the bottom two D, when the top 4 need a breather the coach can't put them out, and when one of our top 4 takes a penalty it puts even more pressure on them. Girardi, McDonagh and Staal and DelZotto are as good a top 4 as you'll get. We just need them to play less. It's the same old thing, when you are tired you make mistakes and as we got to the end of the NJ series it was very apparent that our top 4 D were tired, and DelZotto had a death in the family which didn't help things either.

Redfish
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Our top 4 is fine...DelZotto is fine, our bottom 2 is the problem. When you have your top 4 playing 96% of the time they are gonna get tired out, no other team in the league plays 4 defensemen as much as we do. Our bottom pairing has to be capable of giving our top 4 a break from time to time, they can't be out there every second shift, no other team does that. Girardi played 53 minutes one night, and Bickel played 3 because he can't be trusted out there. Meanwhile they're blocking shots and playing against all 4 lines. Our problem doesn't lie in the top 4, it lies in the bottom two D, when the top 4 need a breather the coach can't put them out, and when one of our top 4 takes a penalty it puts even more pressure on them. Girardi, McDonagh and Staal and DelZotto are as good a top 4 as you'll get. We just need them to play less. It's the same old thing, when you are tired you make mistakes and as we got to the end of the NJ series it was very apparent that our top 4 D were tired, and DelZotto had a death in the family which didn't help things either.

I tend to think MDZ is ideally suited for the bottom pairing; don't really view him as solid top 4 defenseman, yet. He had a very nice season though so I don't want to nitpick at all -- your point about 4 quality defenseman is spot on. Clearly, we need a few solid additions. A healthy Sauer would go a long way to resolving our hole.

Ideally, I'd be aggressive in a trade for Keith Yandle (which likely means MDZ would be part of package going the other way). Yandle has a fair-to-attractive contract in terms of both $ and term. He is young, a top-tier PP quarterback, and a U.S. player (doesn't mean a ton to me but does for the NYR apparently). Mcd/Girardi/Staal/Yandle is about as good top 4 unit I can think of.

nyr1980
06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
It's purely a depth issue. They have a top-4 group, which can all play 22 mins a night which is what you need. There's offense there too, and more coming, as MDZ and McD will only grow in that area.

That being said, good teams have a bottom pair that can play 18 a night, and the Rangers don't have that.

I know they're not counting on it now, but I believe Sauer will be back in the mix early on. October would put him at 10 months, which has been the term for more severe concussions. That will really help, if that's the way it goes. In reality, Sauer can probably play 20+. It might take a month or two of being back in the lineup to find his game, but you have to figure he gets back before too too long passes.

I think they should look at adding one veteran.

bsi
06-29-2012, 04:48 PM
It's purely a depth issue. They have a top-4 group, which can all play 22 mins a night which is what you need. There's offense there too, and more coming, as MDZ and McD will only grow in that area.

That being said, good teams have a bottom pair that can play 18 a night, and the Rangers don't have that.

I know they're not counting on it now, but I believe Sauer will be back in the mix early on. October would put him at 10 months, which has been the term for more severe concussions. That will really help, if that's the way it goes. In reality, Sauer can probably play 20+. It might take a month or two of being back in the lineup to find his game, but you have to figure he gets back before too too long passes.

I think they should look at adding one veteran.

If Sauer could play and one of Erixxon or McIlrath could play it would go a long way in helping out the top 4 by giving them a rest every once in a while in a game. DelZotto is good, he just can't play all night and not make mistakes, nobody can, it's a fatigue thing, when you are tired you make poor quick decisions and cheat more than you should, but I agree I'd add a decent vet that can be counted on to play 15-20 a night.

nyr1980
06-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm hoping that either Erixon or McIlrath can make the jump and play passable minutes. If that happens, and Sauer gets healthy, then I agree Bsi, there is no problem.

But until that happens they need to hedge their bet and sign someone who is an upgrade over Stralman or Bickel. And Eminger and Woywitka are both gone.

commonsense12
06-29-2012, 08:08 PM
I am in the opinion that our defense is not fine. We need a better dman who can fire shots from the point and hopefully be a good puck mover. Schultz is that guy. I understand we have a good top 4 but our bottom 2 was pretty bad. Bottom line is we wore down in the playoffs and lost to the devs because of it. A more solid defense and a better powerplay gets us to the cup finals this year.

BTW all reports are Sauer is still pretty bad and people are saying this could be career threatening. We cant go into the season thinking he will give us anything.

I am also not a fan of trading for NAsh because of his high cap number plus the crazy price but an idea that could pop up is Kovie becoming available because of how broke the Devs are. Rangers are flush with cash and not many teams would be willing to pay him 12 mill a year. If he could be had for next to nothing i would jump on it. Yes i know he has issues with this team and some players on it but winning cures everything and Kovie fits our biggest need of a big scoring threat.

rocowear21
06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
I am in the opinion that our defense is not fine. We need a better dman who can fire shots from the point and hopefully be a good puck mover. Schultz is that guy. I understand we have a good top 4 but our bottom 2 was pretty bad. Bottom line is we wore down in the playoffs and lost to the devs because of it. A more solid defense and a better powerplay gets us to the cup finals this year.

BTW all reports are Sauer is still pretty bad and people are saying this could be career threatening. We cant go into the season thinking he will give us anything.

I am also not a fan of trading for NAsh because of his high cap number plus the crazy price but an idea that could pop up is Kovie becoming available because of how broke the Devs are. Rangers are flush with cash and not many teams would be willing to pay him 12 mill a year. If he could be had for next to nothing i would jump on it. Yes i know he has issues with this team and some players on it but winning cures everything and Kovie fits our biggest need of a big scoring threat.

I really don't see the devils trading anybody to us let alone Kovi if he is in fact available which I don't think he is. Schultz is def the way to go for our offensive dman.

I really want the rangers to make a run for doan and ryan.
I believe that would solidify our team for a solid two way hockey team with great offensive potential.

Mr.Wiskers
06-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I got is halfway stupid idea, how about signing Greg Zanon, last yr. in 56 gms. He had 116 hits/136 blocked shots. I think he would make a perfect 6 or 7th defenseman. Only had 8 pts in those gms but he's a defensive defenseman, shouldn't cost much and would be insurance till Sauer/Erixon is ready to play.

rocowear21
06-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't mind a player like Zanon for depth at D, honestly I was looking at a player like Sarich who was just resigned. Big Physical D man that would clear the front of the net.

bsi
06-30-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm all for Schultz, I think however everyone is overvaluing him, if he at some point turns out to be as good as DelZotto that could be his ceiling. DelZotto had more points per game playing in a better league OHL than Schultz did playing College hockey. So anyone who thinks he's gonna come in and somehow be the cure all to our PP problems or be a replacement for DelZotto is reading too much into the media saying he's NHL ready, the same was said of Erixxon last year. DelZotto had 41 points in 77 games for us this year, 5th on the team, first in defense, and 10 points in 20 games in playoffs, and he was a +20 regular season, and a +10 in the playoffs and he's the same age as Schultz right now. He's much better than people give him credit for. Having said all that, I think we should sign Schultz though, he could be MDZ version 2

nyr1980
06-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Bsi, that's exactly right. We're hearing great things about Schultz and I'm sure the talent is there, but you never know about a guy until he's able to play at the NHL level.

Moreover, the learning/development curve for defensemen is generally 250-300 games befor they're considered fully developed. And there's usually some growing pains in their, like those we saw with Del Zotto in 10-11.

That being said, as Schultz enters the league older than Del Zotto did, he may be further along. Either way, I can't see Torts running him out there 20+ mins a night right off the rip unless he's unbelievable. Hell, even if he does sign, he might not even make the team. He could potentially have to leap frog 4 or 5 other guys who are competing for those last 2 spots, assuming all are healthy and here.

Commonsense, you may be right on Sauer, and they shouldn't be counting on him as of yet. But I haven't heard career threatening. In fact they are saying he's making progress, albeit slowly. Traing camp is still 2+ months away, a lot can happen.