PDA

View Full Version : Is Corlos Correa the best SS prospect since A-Rod?

theguruisback3
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
I love his make-up, both on the field and off the field.

1908_Cubs
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM
No. No where close.

Correa wasn't even the best player in this draft class.

gaughan333
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
no...not even close

treeleaf
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
=1908_Cubs;22626760]No. No where close.

Correa wasn't even the best player in this draft class.

Im going to have to agree on both accounts.

I still like the pick for the stros, dont get me wrong, but hes probably not on Arods level.

Havoc Wreaker
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Who is he?

1908_Cubs
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Im going to have to agree on both accounts.

I still like the pick for the stros, dont get me wrong, but hes probably not on Arods level.

Very much so. I thought he was a brilliant top pick for what he signed for. And he's a really good player. But you're right he's not on A-Rod's level. A-Rod was the original Bryce Harper and people tend to forget that.

Correa also, will probably move off of SS soon. He's already 6"4.

theguruisback3
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't see why Correa won't be staying at short stop. His defensive ability is fantastic, has a cannon of an arm, good range...

I also don't see why Correa isn't the best SS prospect since ARod. Who was a better prospect? Machado? Tulo? There were concerns about their games as well.

cubbiefan_est88
06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
No he doesnt appear to be on steroids.

northsider
06-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Come on man really? It was a light comparison due to his size but, not based on complete potential.

nirvana235
06-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Let the guy play a season in pro ball first before we say he's the best SS prospect since A-Rod.

C-ross12
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd have Correa in the neighborhood or Machado / Bogaerts, a bit behind Profar IMHO.

the_jon
06-23-2012, 03:37 PM
If Correa had gone 2nd this thread wouldn't even exist, nevermind that most mocks didn't even have him in the top 5. The answer is no and that should go without saying especially when he hasn't even had a professional plate appearance yet.

Angry Norwegian
06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Corlos Correa?

bedford1829
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I thought Tulo and Andrus were pretty highly touted SS prospects coming up with more hype the Correa?

Ive been wrong before though but I just havent been sold on Correa.

1908_Cubs
06-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't see why Correa won't be staying at short stop. His defensive ability is fantastic, has a cannon of an arm, good range...

I also don't see why Correa isn't the best SS prospect since ARod. Who was a better prospect? Machado? Tulo? There were concerns about their games as well.

Machodo, Profar, Andrus, and Tulo are all impressively better SS prospects than Correa is today. You can probably say that he's on the same level Starlin Castro was, as well, not to be a homer (undervalued but the kid came up at age 20 and has been a near top 5 SS since that day) and put Bogaerts in here as well.

Also, he's 6"4. This means he's going to add weight. He's going to be far too big to continue to handle the defensive abilities needed to play SS. He's probably going to slide to 3b in the next few seasons and will likely be plus defensively there. That said, he's a longshot to continue at SS.

Sure he was the number 1 pick. Someone said he looked like A-Rod at the plate. People give comps all the time.

Rad_Racing
06-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I thought Tulo and Andrus were pretty highly touted SS prospects coming up with more hype the Correa?

Ive been wrong before though but I just havent been sold on Correa.

This. Tulo seemed pretty highly-trouted being a top 10 pick with his size out of Long Beach State, who has produced some fine players over the years.

For the sake of the Astros I hope Correa turns out to be a solid player.

idrinkpepsi
06-23-2012, 05:20 PM
No one can really comment.

It's not like we are scouting Correa we are just going on the opinion of several scouts that we read online which can differ as well.

Hawkeye15
06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
He wasn't on top of the majority, or any that I saw, mock drafts, so no, he isn't a once in a generation talent like A-Rod, or even Harper for that matter. The Astros probably hope as he fills out, he can move to 3rd if needed, and be a productive power hitter/versatile infielder. I would guess we don't even see him until he is 20-21 or so.

No way is the answer.

jlohm1
06-23-2012, 09:13 PM
If Correa had gone 2nd this thread wouldn't even exist, nevermind that most mocks didn't even have him in the top 5. The answer is no and that should go without saying especially when he hasn't even had a professional plate appearance yet.

this sums up how i feel pretty well

NateyB24
06-23-2012, 09:31 PM
No it was a good pick but i wouldn't say he was the best SS since A-Rod most Scouts and guys who follow this stuff think he will move to 3rd Base and have no shot at SS.

06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
That's a clown question bro.

Jamiecballer
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM
I love his make-up, both on the field and off the field.

holy ****, this dude wears make up on AND off the field???

jmoney85
06-23-2012, 10:23 PM
tim beckham had maaaaad hype

corky831
06-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Xander

ciaban
06-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Machodo, Profar, Andrus, and Tulo are all impressively better SS prospects than Correa is today. You can probably say that he's on the same level Starlin Castro was, as well, not to be a homer (undervalued but the kid came up at age 20 and has been a near top 5 SS since that day) and put Bogaerts in here as well.

Also, he's 6"4. This means he's going to add weight. He's going to be far too big to continue to handle the defensive abilities needed to play SS. He's probably going to slide to 3b in the next few seasons and will likely be plus defensively there. That said, he's a longshot to continue at SS.

Sure he was the number 1 pick. Someone said he looked like A-Rod at the plate. People give comps all the time.

while profar and andrus are awesome they really don't profile like A-Rod did coming out of High School, Machodo and Tulo aren't bad comps, though i think the best comp to him when he came out of High School is Bryce Harper, I know he isn't a SS but i feel he compares more closely coming out of High School to A-Rod.

Celtic AL
06-24-2012, 11:58 AM
no way. this is like calling Matt Barnes the next Justin Verlander but we all know thats not going to happen

1908_Cubs
06-24-2012, 01:42 PM
[B]

while profar and andrus are awesome they really don't profile like A-Rod did coming out of High School, Machodo and Tulo aren't bad comps, though i think the best comp to him when he came out of High School is Bryce Harper, I know he isn't a SS but i feel he compares more closely coming out of High School to A-Rod.

:laugh2: at him being anything like Bryce Harper.

Bryce Harper was a generational talent. Correa wasn't even the consensus best Prep/HS player in the draft. The only reason Correa went number 1 is because of his signability.

It's a joke to compare him in any shape or form to Harper.

rkelly7
06-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I'd have Correa in the neighborhood or Machado / Bogaerts, a bit behind Profar IMHO.

I agree. He will probably be good, but the Pads went after him because he would be cheap.

IMO

1. Machado
2. Bogaerts
3a/3b Profar/Correa

nirvana235
06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Francisco Lindor, he's gonna be a stud.

Jeffy25
06-24-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't think he is anywhere close to A-Rod.

But the question asked was if he is the best since as a spec. And he might be, Manny Machado and Jurickson Profar are up there too that I can think of.

Thinking back a few years though, I can't really think of anybody.

Very little chance he has an A-Rod caliber career.

Jeffy25
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Uhhh, plenty of big guys have handled shortstop well.

A-Rod and Cal both come to mind of guys over 6'3 that were two of the best defensive shortstops we have seen.

Ripken was 6'4, A-Rod 6'3, and both were very impressive defensively.

LASportsFan1996
06-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Nope... Let Him Play First Atleast

Young2Kinsler
06-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Profar is the best SS in the minors right now, hands down.

1908_Cubs
06-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Uhhh, plenty of big guys have handled shortstop well.

A-Rod and Cal both come to mind of guys over 6'3 that were two of the best defensive shortstops we have seen.

Ripken was 6'4, A-Rod 6'3, and both were very impressive defensively.

I never said he wouldn't. But it is very true, he's a long shot to stick at SS for very much time.

He's 6"4, 180lbs at age 17. Remember, he's not even turned 18 yet. He's going to put on size and weight still. What makes him a truly elite prospect is because he's got a long shot at sticking at SS. But the likelihood he stays is low.

I wouldn't say "plenty" of tall players stick at SS. There's certainly a few examples.
http://sportsologist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/mlbheightbyposition.jpg This is an average graph of height by position. 71.5 inches is the average height of all SS's since 1960 who've played 5 or more games at the position. That's 5"9 compared to the average height of 6"1 of all MLB players. So while there have been many players who you can pin point as taller than 6"4, it certainly is on the very rare size.

Pinstripe pride
06-25-2012, 08:27 AM
he's no eduardo nunez