PDA

View Full Version : Cue The Middlebrooks Era & Farewell Youk

Nomar
06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
@NickCafardo
Bobby V had a chat with Youkilis that he'll be sitting for a while and Middlebrooks will play.

Finally. This probably gives us less leverage in trade but who cares honestly were not getting much for Youk either way and its time to let WMB play every day.

Its sad to finally see Youk go in a way. Its definitely time for him to leave, but he helped give Sox fans two of their best years in the last century. So thank you Youk!

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah...I've always liked Youk's approach to his ABs even when he let those first pitch strikes right down the middle go by. I'd hafta say he was the leader of the "work the pitcher" culture that was prevalent those years. He is a part of RS history and was a positive force for those years. Thank you Youk!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
He said that it could also change tomorrow...

Nomar
06-22-2012, 08:49 PM
He said that it could also change tomorrow...

Well **** on my face

elements1985
06-22-2012, 10:18 PM
This decision is 2-3 weeks overdue IMO. Who knows what the division/wild card deficit would be had Cherington and Valentine cut the shenanigans in early June....

Pavelb1
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
One injury to WMB and you're looking at

3B Punto
SS Aviles
2B Hurt Pedroia
1B Miserably slumping AGon

all. season. long

Now you may say that Youk aint no great shakes either but I'll take the chance that Kevin Youkilis will return to something approaching normal than that Punto will become something.

Just keep him and let him be AGon and WMBs back-up. It's just some 7mill.

Of course it sure would be nice to have pay Jed Lowrie 1 mill to do that instead of have melancon suck.

Station 13
06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
WMB is not a back up. He should be playing everyday. Youkilis has run his course. If WMB gets injured, Youk around still most likely to play like **** as he has been all year.

Tragedy
06-23-2012, 01:15 AM
When we called WM up, I said (and you can find the quote) that this would turn into the Bill Mueller/Kevin Youkilis situation in 2004. Like Youk did in 2004, I figured Wm would go up and down this year. I guess I was a little bit right, as everyone jumped on the WM bandwagon the way people did with Youkilis in 2004.

Only this time, it looks like the young kid will get his chance quickly.

infernoscurse
06-23-2012, 11:19 AM
this kinda reminds me of wade boggs

Celtic AL
06-23-2012, 11:24 AM
this kinda reminds me of wade boggs

no way! wade was still a solid when we let him go and signed with you're team. youks is on the decline and is also injury prone

infernoscurse
06-23-2012, 11:27 AM
i think he can rebound, a fresh start somewhere else with job security and everyday playing time will do him some good, i think hes far from done

Celtic AL
06-23-2012, 11:30 AM
i think he can rebound, a fresh start somewhere else with job security and everyday playing time will do him some good, i think hes far from done

very true

MG956
06-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Agon needs a new start too. Hey, Pedroia is obviously done as well, any chance we can package the three of them?

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-23-2012, 02:46 PM

It would really be nice to see him back at first with someone too...you can tell he's more comfortable there

Nomar
06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Gonzalez doesnt need a fresh start.

He cant catch up to fastballs and has a terrible idea of the strike zone. Pitch recognition problem.

He also is getting zero loft on any of the balls he manages to hit. That could be a swing problem.

Whatever he is doing wrong, he cant identify or change it at the moment it seems. But in no way does that mean we should trade him, and we definitely wont. Same goes for Pedroia, hell never get traded.

sawxfan
06-24-2012, 01:59 AM
AGon just needs to get the heck out of right field and back to first where he is a Gold Glover. His bat will turn around.

Nomar
06-24-2012, 12:41 PM
AGon just needs to get the heck out of right field and back to first where he is a Gold Glover. His bat will turn around.

I disagree.

I think playing OF didnt bother him much. I dont think it helped, but i dont think it made a big difference at all.

There is something wrong with what Adrians doing at the plate. Something that switching to first base isnt just going to fix.

When your slugging percentage drops 100 points after the allstar break and continues to fall the next season, something is flat out wrong. It isnt a slump if it lasts almost an entire season's worth of games.

I hope youre right that switching to 1B turns him around, but i think its a bit naive to believe that.

BradytoGronkTD
06-24-2012, 12:57 PM
He is a fantastic hitter. I have complete faith he will turn it around. He is just too good not to.

RedSoxtober
06-24-2012, 02:42 PM
This decision is 2-3 weeks overdue IMO. Who knows what the division/wild card deficit would be had Cherington and Valentine cut the shenanigans in early June....

Middlebrooks has played in 40/47 games since he was called up on May 2. Do you really think that the season would have been dramatically changed if he played in those other 7 games? I don't.

bagwell368
06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
I disagree.

I think playing OF didnt bother him much. I dont think it helped, but i dont think it made a big difference at all.

There is something wrong with what Adrians doing at the plate. Something that switching to first base isnt just going to fix.

When your slugging percentage drops 100 points after the allstar break and continues to fall the next season, something is flat out wrong. It isnt a slump if it lasts almost an entire season's worth of games.

I hope youre right that switching to 1B turns him around, but i think its a bit naive to believe that.

You can see it in his face when he goes to RF. Downcast, serious. He gets to 1B he's smiling, happy. Go ahead and watch. The man won a GG at 1B, and he's just not a RF, although he plays because they need him. All done now however.

Lots of slumps last close to a year, and BTW you totally baked on Adrian being in a slump since the ASG last year. Do you ever cross check your claims BTW?

Gonzalez:

July 2011: .373/.449/.500
Sep 2011: .318/.455/.523

OBP's are huge, BA combined is huge, and SLG while off, isn't feeble by any means. It's a long time to the end of September 2012. Hence not a year.

Nomar
06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
You can see it in his face when he goes to RF. Downcast, serious. He gets to 1B he's smiling, happy. Go ahead and watch. The man won a GG at 1B, and he's just not a RF, although he plays because they need him. All done now however.

Lots of slumps last close to a year, and BTW you totally baked on Adrian being in a slump since the ASG last year. Do you ever cross check your claims BTW?

Gonzalez:

July 2011: .373/.449/.500
Sep 2011: .318/.455/.523

OBP's are huge, BA combined is huge, and SLG while off, isn't feeble by any means. It's a long time to the end of September 2012. Hence not a year.

Yeah youre right. Guess im just a bit fed up with him. Are you not worried at all though? Being at first everyday again should help as you said.