PDA

View Full Version : What do the OKC Thunder need to win a championship?

LTBaByyy
06-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Experience Since they are Young?

Veterans?

Low Post Scorer?

Trade Harden for a good bench?

Different coach?

Move Westbrook to SG & aquire Passing PG?

VCaintdead17
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Experience

popo85
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
1. Get a post player who can score
2. Back up PG
3.Amnesty Perkins

RC3
06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Become a better defensive team.

bootleg42
06-22-2012, 05:56 PM
A real PG. I said it.

xabial
06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Trade for a Pure PG and have Russel play SG. Try to get a kings ransom for harden

LTBaByyy
06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Ibaka and Perkins (like he did w/ Rondo) would flourish with a passing PG

Move Westbrook to SG and trade Harden for a Passing PG and decent players on the bench

Thunder need Perkins for Bynum and other good centers, they wouldn't have beat the Lakers if Collison was the Center

Passing PG
Westbrook
Durant
Ibaka
Perkins

Would be dominant

kjoke
06-22-2012, 05:59 PM
For once I agree with Skip Bayless. They need court management, and Westbrook does not offer that. He would make an excellent SG, but they need someone to manage the game. Westbrook can pass like a PG, and has the speed to go against the best PG, but he doesn't have that management.

thekmp211
06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
A real PG. I said it.

they lost in spite of westbrook not because of him.

i'd flip harden, sign ibaka and hire jvg. let it simmer.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Westbrook would be the #3 best SG easily in the league behind Wade and Kobe

He is perfect for a SG, he can bring it up half the game when the passing PG is on the bench and sometimes when they are in the floor together

Htownballa1622
06-22-2012, 06:11 PM
not face miami.

Dade County
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Nothing...

Just Eric Maynor needs to come back healthy.

OKC is already a super team, they don't need anymore help.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2012, 06:16 PM
This might sound crazy!!!! But:

Harden and Ibaka for Rondo, #21, #22 picks (great draft so it evens out)

Bradley
Harden
Pierce
Ibaka
Garnett (Resign)

Green (6th man)

Rondo
Westbrook
Durant
Free Agent low post scorer (Ex: Kaman)
Perkins

#21 pick (6th man)
Maynor
#22 pick

kjoke
06-22-2012, 06:17 PM
This might sound crazy!!!! But:

Harden and Ibaka for Rondo, #21, #22 picks

Bradley
Harden
Pierce
Ibaka
Garnett (Resign)

Green (6th man)

Rondo
Westbrook
Durant
Free Agent low post scorer (Ex: Kaman)
Perkins

#21 pick (6th man)
#22 pick

Harden and Ibaka could net Howard, thats a horrible trade for the thunder

LTBaByyy
06-22-2012, 06:19 PM
You have to remember Harden is going to get an offer around $14 mil a year

Some desperate team might offer more than that so its best to trade Harden now while he has value

$14 million + is too much for someone off the bench

He needs to be a starter somewhere else

dnewguy
06-22-2012, 06:19 PM
experience is the best teacher. They have a great team, they needed to experience how tough it is to win the championship.

LTBaByyy
06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Harden and Ibaka could net Howard, thats a horrible trade for the thunder

Lets not get ahead of ourselves

Harden and Ibaka played horrible the whole playoffs, not just the finals.

They both have showed they might just be great role players and not stars in the making!

Just imagine if Durant and Westbrook didn't go off these playoffs, they would have lost in the first or second round.

Westbrook and Durant carried this team majorly. You could make a case for Collison was the 3rd best player for the Thunder in the playoffs

Check the stats!!! Harden and Ibaka lost a lot of value these playoffs

LongIslandIcedZ
06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I was under the impression Harden played well in the playoffs, just not the finals.

I think they should at least explore the idea of trading Harden and Ibaka for Dwight. Having said that, Idk if it destroys OK's cap.

heyman321
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Trade Durant, he's a choker.

Ebbs
06-22-2012, 06:47 PM
More time wade is getting worse their guys are getting better.

49ersLALSFGiant
06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Call me crazy but ask harden to give them a discount or have durant Westbrook restructure so they can sign ibacka and harden.
Then have harden start at point and move russy to the 2 spot, maynor is a good back up point. I think this would make them a dynasty

thekmp211
06-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Nothing...

Just Eric Maynor needs to come back healthy.

OKC is already a super team, they don't need anymore help.

omg how could i have forgotten about maynor. he will be a huge addition.

still think they need an upgrade on the bench.

daboywonder2002
06-22-2012, 07:05 PM
please stop saying move westbrook to the 2 and get a true pointguard. having a true point guard helps. but it guarantees nothing. the lakers and bulls didnt have a true pg. but they have a system in place that let them get away with it. if anything, the thunder need to become a better passing TEAM. way too much isolation. thats the problem. there is no reason westbrook cant average 8 assists. no reason durant shouldnt be getting 4 assists per game. harden should average at least 5. also they need a 4th scorer. the drop off after the big three is just horrible.

thephoenixson28
06-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Nash and Gortat for Harden and Perkins

Hangtime
06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
OKC is fine the way they are. There is one thing they gained from this and that's more experience playing on the grandest stage. And they made 4 of the 5 games competitive right down to the final buzzer. They ran up against a team that just lost in the finals last year and were just hungrier. Lebron was not to be denied and the role guys stepped up big time for them. That team beat SA four straight and I think it still speaks volumes of what they can do.

VCaintdead17
06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
they lost in spite of westbrook not because of him.

Well said

Carey
06-22-2012, 08:31 PM
-Natural progression
-More perimeter shooting
-Ideally someone at the 2 that could start for Sefolosha and leave Harden on the bench

Carey
06-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves

Harden and Ibaka played horrible the whole playoffs, not just the finals.

They both have showed they might just be great role players and not stars in the making!

Just imagine if Durant and Westbrook didn't go off these playoffs, they would have lost in the first or second round.

Westbrook and Durant carried this team majorly. You could make a case for Collison was the 3rd best player for the Thunder in the playoffs

Check the stats!!! Harden and Ibaka lost a lot of value these playoffs

Did you watch any of the playoffs? I've heard alot dumb things on here but this takes the cake. I would hope you at least watched the close out game versus Dallas where nobody could stop Harden...

dodie53
06-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Nash and Gortat for Harden and Perkins

hmmmm.
interesting.

justinnum1
06-22-2012, 10:32 PM
defense, their defense was awful and their role players sucked too

thekmp211
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
really have a hard time justifying any harden > westbrook talk. westbrook stepped up big time and maynor will provide what fisher did minus being a dinosaur.

i think harden proved that as good as he is, the thunder can still be championship contenders without him. with his size and ability to improve the thunder HAVE to hold on to ibaka.

justinnum1
06-23-2012, 12:01 AM
really have a hard time justifying any harden > westbrook talk. westbrook stepped up big time and maynor will provide what fisher did minus being a dinosaur.

i think harden proved that as good as he is, the thunder can still be championship contenders without him. with his size and ability to improve the thunder HAVE to hold on to ibaka.

i think they both have serious flaws, but are also very young and have time to improve.

thekmp211
06-23-2012, 12:05 AM
i think they both have serious flaws, but are also very young and have time to improve.

well i agree with that. but westbrook dropped 40 in a finals game and harden disappeared.

if you had to pick...?

and i think a maynor/westbrook back court would be devastating for spurts and the rest of the time they need westbrook to attack. he just needs to become better at picking his spots and learning when to set others up.

tht_one_guy
06-23-2012, 03:43 AM
i wouldnt mind trading harden and ibaka for brook lopez if we got the chance since the nets might be getting dwight howard i think a deal could be made even though i would like to keep harden and ibaka i just think okc needs an inside offensive presence and if lopez is healthy i think he would fit

Arch Stanton
06-23-2012, 04:13 AM
It's their first time to the show. I'm sure they will play better if they make it again.

GoferKing_
06-23-2012, 04:28 AM
I would trade Westbrook for a PG, to Minny for Rubio? I think that they would take that.

Westrbook does not involve other players, he just takes a large amount of shots on an below avg rate.
He hes sometimes impressive stats, but they don't mean much individualy.

Bigbadmoffo
06-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Nash would be great on this team!

Bigbadmoffo
06-23-2012, 04:33 AM
I would trade Westbrook for a PG, to Minny for Rubio? I think that they would take that.

Westrbook does not involve other players, he just takes a large amount of shots on an below avg rate.
He hes sometimes impressive stats, but they don't mean much individualy.

Agreed he does not improve ppl around him. They'd be better with Rondo.

LAKobeBryant
06-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Moving Westbrook to a SG wouldn't give them a consistent
Shooter at the 2 guard and hes not a spot up shooter. He's a off the dribble type guard and will be best at the PG. He just needs better decision making

ackar
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Play better defense

WadeKobe
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
What is all this "move Westy to SG, sign pass-first PG" stuff? No way, he's a Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade type payer. If you move him to SG, then you need a 3-point shooting PG. Westbrook doesn't have a very good jumper or 3-bal, and therefore doesn't work very well as a conventional SG.

The Thunder need two things:

(1) Improve Defensively
----(a) As a team
----(b) Individually. The fact that their "big3" are not two-way players was increasingly obvious with each game, and a big part of why they couldn't consistently get stops the way Miami did.

(2) Get some experience.

(3) Scott Brooks improve as a coach, much the way Spoelstra has had to.

BALLER R
06-23-2012, 09:11 AM
They need a low post scorer. If they had a big man that can play in the paint then they will be set.

Jarvo
06-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Westbrook is good, But I still would trade him for a pure PG and get a better Center and play way better D and a better bench.

JordansBulls
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Not there defense, they need better ball movement and need there bigs to be more in the game. They beat San Antonio because Ibaka became an offensive threat.

sweet-d
06-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Well they should should hire Jerry Sloan as head coach right away. Then draft Evan Fornier to back up KD. Sign a back up C/PF to replace Nazr Muhammed. Eric Maynor and Kendrick Perkins need to get over their injuries.
Ibaka, Sefolosha, and Westbrook need to work on their jumpers. KD needs to gain a little bit more weight. KD, Westbrook, and maybe Harden need to help Team USA win gold next month.

KniCks4LiFe
06-23-2012, 02:47 PM
1. A new coach
2. Move Westbrook to SG
3. A mobile center, they have that on the bench

Westbrook isn't a PG. He's a 2 guard. His first mental thought and it's by repetitions, he comes down the court and looks to get his shot. He's not looking to drive and finish, he's not looking to drive and kick, he's looking to score. It's a mentality. A PG helps them fix all of that, b/c then Russell conserves energy he wastes as a poor PG. If Nash or Dragic or I forgot the inj. PG on this team... If any of them play PG over him the Thunder improve dramatically. Russell as a 2 guard would be more comfortable and tougher to guard b/c of his speed matched up w/ most 2 guards. He'd get his shots b/c the PG would set him up or Durant, instead of Russell killing most not all the momentum. This isn't Russell's fault he's not a PG, and OKC keeps forcing him into a role he's not suppose to play.

lamar2006
06-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Bynum or Gasol. lol

I would settle Bynum for Westbrook and Collison or Gasol for Harden and Perkins. or switch them out. OKC has to choose between West and Harden. Harden is the better basketball player ie. Durant better scorer than James, James better all around player than Durant but West is a freak of nature who when he gets hot I mean he is damn good.

STL Don
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
They need an upgrade at center. One who can consistently add in 10-14+ ppg.
A backup pg and a slasher who can provide some scoring off the bench.

KniCks4LiFe
06-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Bynum or Gasol. lol

I would settle Bynum for Westbrook and Collison or Gasol for Harden and Perkins. or switch them out. OKC has to choose between West and Harden. Harden is the better basketball player ie. Durant better scorer than James, James better all around player than Durant but West is a freak of nature who when he gets hot I mean he is damn good.

you will settle on Melo for Bynum + resigned Hill + pick :cool:

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
1. Experience
2. PG: This team needs a floor general & Westbrook at the 2
3. Trade Harden for a real bench &/or a legit low post scorer

while i feel it is pretty unconventional to think this team can go all the way without a great inside scorer, the Heat just did so due to Lebron's ability to get to the basket at will...the Thunder have the same ability with Westbrook...

with another year of maturity, a PG, and a more balanced, deeper roster this team should win the Finals

Lakers + Giants
06-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Phil Jackson.

Shareeb_omac2
06-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Westbrook for Rondo. Then sign a free agent scorer off the bench, maybe Jason Terry?

Rondo
Harden
Durant
Ibaka
Perkins

6th man

(I'm fully aware that they would have to resign Harden and Ibaka the following season. This is a win now plan)

LJEATON26
06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
1 Experience
2 Another year of Natural Progression
3 a consistent low post scoring threat

NYG 2000
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Chris Kaman and a new backup sf

KniCks4LiFe
06-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Phil Jackson.

no one in the National Basketball Association wants that. Please don't let this happen.:(

Losoway
06-23-2012, 04:01 PM
to pray lebron james tears his acl and gets into some freak accident where he cant dominate kd

Losoway
06-23-2012, 04:02 PM
AND THE IDEA OF MOVING WEST BROOOK TO THE SG IS TERRIBLE... IF HE TAKES ALOT OF SHOOTS AS THE PG ....imagine him at sg

justinnum1
06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
AND THE IDEA OF MOVING WEST BROOOK TO THE SG IS TERRIBLE... IF HE TAKES ALOT OF SHOOTS AS THE PG ....imagine him at sg

he takes a lot of shots becuase the ball is in his hands all the time, they need to get the ball out of his hands

KniCks4LiFe
06-23-2012, 04:31 PM
he takes a lot of shots becuase the ball is in his hands all the time, they need to get the ball out of his hands

exactly, he has the ball from the inbounds and up the timeline. If someone else w/ a better court IQ, that's not saying or insulting Russell's intelligence, if someone else is dribbling the ball up court and setting up Durant first and the post w/ Ibaka and then gets it to Westbrook, Russell would be a tough SG to cover. He has as much talent as Wade has, definitely a better jumpshot, the problem is he has the ball 90% of the time, making decisions of first him then Durant and forgets what everyone else can do. No one cuts to the rim b/c when you have an iso player you have to set yourself to grab the boards or be prepared to play transistion D. The Knicks are going through this same crap w/ Melo.

Showtime Steve
06-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Either trade westbrook for elite pg. Or start harden as 1 and have westbrook coming off bench as 2.

Captain Moroni
06-23-2012, 04:33 PM
OKC needs to win 3 more games.