PDA

View Full Version : Curt Schilling is broke

06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8084138/former-boston-red-sox-curt-schilling-says-baseball-fortune-all-gone-company-crash

BOSTON -- Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling said Friday that the collapse of his 38 Studios video game company probably has cost him his entire baseball fortune, and he placed part of the blame on Rhode Island officials, including Gov. Lincoln Chafee.

Schilling said during a 90-minute interview on WEEI-FM in Boston that he put more than $50 million of his own money in the company and that he's had to tell his family that "the money I saved during baseball was probably all gone."

"I'm tapped out," he said.

Schilling said he hopes to return to work soon as an analyst for ESPN. He took a leave of absence from the network after 38 Studios filed for bankruptcy protection on June 7. The firm was lured to Providence from Massachusetts in 2010 after Rhode Island offered a $75 million loan guarantee. The state is working to determine how much it's on the hook for after the company's collapse.

Although Schilling conceded that he "absolutely" was part of the reason the company failed, he said public comments made by Chafee last month questioning the firm's solvency were harmful as the firm tried -- but failed -- to raise private capital to stay afloat.

"I think he had an agenda," Schilling said about Chafee.

Chafee vocally opposed the state's loan guarantee to 38 Studios when he was running for governor in 2010. But after it was a done deal, he was the company's "biggest cheerleader," Chafee spokeswoman Christine Hunsinger said Friday. She had no other immediate comments on Schilling's interview.

Schilling also accused Chafee of failing to work with an investor who was willing to put $15 million to $20 million into the company to help it succeed. He said the investor walked away because of Chafee's inaction.

38 Studios laid off its entire workforce -- nearly 300 employees in Providence and more in Maryland -- last month. That move came after it was more than two weeks late on a $1.1 million payment to the state; officials have said that was the first indication the company was in financial trouble.

The firm had sought millions of dollars in tax credits from Rhode Island as it struggled to stay afloat, but Schilling said Friday that he wasn't looking for a bailout.

State and federal authorities, meanwhile, are investigating 38 Studios' finances. Citizens Bank also has sued Schilling to recover $2.4 million in loans it made to 38 Studios.

Schilling, who also pitched for Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia and Arizona, won the World Series three times and is perhaps best remembered for pitching Game 6 of the 2004 American League Championship Series with an injured ankle that stained his sock with blood. He earned just more than $114 million in salary over his 19-year career in the majors.

Schilling said he never took any money from the company, not even a salary. He said the company was close to succeeding but just couldn't raise enough private capital. He also said he never intended to hurt the firm's workers.

"It's been kind of a surreal 60 days, 75 days," Schilling said. "It's crushing and devastating to see it fail the way it did."

Schilling was asked how the company's collapse has affected him personally.

"I don't know. ... It's not over yet," he said. "I would imagine the next foreseeable time in our lives is going to be consumed by this. It's a life-changing thing."

He said life for his family "will probably start to change and be very different for us" in the wake of losing so much.

But he added, "I'm not asking for sympathy. It was my choice. I chose to do this, I wanted to build this, I wanted to create the jobs and create something that had a long-standing, world-changing effect. And we were close. We were close to getting there, and it fell apart."

A little off-topic but thought it was interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if had some other investments but putting $50 million into one company is very risky considering the industry.

croce_99
06-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I have no sympathy for idiots like this. Go ahead and invest your money into something, but save a few million for yourself. It's not that difficult to understand.

Happens all the time in every sport.

CityofTreez
06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Hamels could've taken Harper's head off for Christ Sakes.....and I put $50mil into a video game business.

My name is Curt Schilling and I'm an idiot!

Station 13
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Game companies are closing left and right the last 10 year with cost rising to make HD games. Pretty foolish to enter the industry.

EastNYLos
06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
with all the money he invested he should've started one of those mobile game companies...i hear that's where it's at nowadays..

C-ross12
06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
One of the first life lessons I learned was to not put all my eggs in one basket.

RevHokALugie
06-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Well that sucks. Want to know what never will go bankrupt in America, McDonalds. If I were ever a multi-millionaire I'd open a few of them as a backup or something. Have you ever seen one go down due to lack of business?

Jeffy25
06-22-2012, 06:23 PM
He hasn't filled for bankruptcy or anything. So I would assume he is probably still okay.

Not to mention he still has income coming in.

rkelly7
06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
One of the first life lessons I learned was to not put all my eggs in one basket.

This, I feel bad though. Great pitcher, but he either doesn't know how to invest or his financial advisor is about to get fired.

Could have put that money in an IRA and had 100 mill by the time the time he was 65.

Max Power
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
He'll never be totally broke. Between the autograph circuit and his incoherent rambling on ESPN, he'll make a decent living. And if he needs more, who would be a better reality show candidate than this attention whore?

jtchilln
06-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Let's all be real....this guy is still going to live better than all of us. It's not like he's goign to lose his houses, cars and can't afford to do what he wants when he wants.

His definition of broke and ours is completely different....i'd be willing to bet he still has a few million in cash/assets laying around.

Burkey3472
06-22-2012, 07:40 PM
He still has income coming in....so he won't be living on the street anytime soon.

Driven
06-22-2012, 07:43 PM
You know, for all the way these millionaire athletes go bankrupt, at least Schilling was trying to invest in something.

DieHardColtsfan
06-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Maybe he should auction off that sock with the ketchup stains... :shrug:

slugger82685
06-22-2012, 07:46 PM
its called DIVERSITY........investing 101

slugger82685
06-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Let's all be real....this guy is still going to live better than all of us. It's not like he's goign to lose his houses, cars and can't afford to do what he wants when he wants.

His definition of broke and ours is completely different....i'd be willing to bet he still has a few million in cash/assets laying around.

wouldnt be surprised if he was stupid enough to put the entire business in his name with his personal finances.

06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
You know, for all the way these millionaire athletes go bankrupt, at least Schilling was trying to invest in something.
Great point. He could have pissed it away on drugs and alcohol but instead he gambled on forming a company and failed.

bootleg42
06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
When dealing with Millions, always have cash put away, along with gold, then the rest for conservative investments, and then what ever can be afforded to be left over for Risky Capital.

I feel for Curt Schilling, but it was his fault.

jimm120
06-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Well that sucks. Want to know what never will go bankrupt in America, McDonalds. If I were ever a multi-millionaire I'd open a few of them as a backup or something. Have you ever seen one go down due to lack of business?

Exactly. Fast food.

I don't remember whom exactly...someone fromt he Knicks....I think it was Charles Oackly... He's still living great because he's pretty much set up car wash places, and a ton of fast food places (olive garden, McDonalds, Papa Johns, etc).

Some of them DO close down. They do. But go into a city and set one up in the city. Keep it clean, and it'll give you money no matter where it is.

slugger82685
06-22-2012, 07:54 PM
the thing is, I am sure he still has endorsements, has retirement pension from the MLB, and I am sure he will get his analyst job back....yes he lost probably all of his career earnings, but he will still be making a boat load of money yearly

jimm120
When dealing with Millions, always have cash put away, along with gold, then the rest for conservative investments, and then what ever can be afforded to be left over for Risky Capital.

I feel for Curt Schilling, but it was his fault.

I'm PRETTY SURE he still has assets. I'm sure he has homes and stuff. But the thing that was gonna give him tons of money is now gone.

Jeffy25
Exactly. Fast food.

I don't remember whom exactly...someone fromt he Knicks....I think it was Charles Oackly... He's still living great because he's pretty much set up car wash places, and a ton of fast food places (olive garden, McDonalds, Papa Johns, etc).

Some of them DO close down. They do. But go into a city and set one up in the city. Keep it clean, and it'll give you money no matter where it is.

The official pinch runner of baseball owns a bunch of Ray Crocs' McDonalds

Skippy15
06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I can't stand him. So I don't really care

Green Storm
06-22-2012, 08:04 PM
He may have went broke by O! MY! DAMN! Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was one of the best games I've ever played or will probably ever play. It's too bad that game doesn't get the love it deserves, it is a thousand times better than Skyrim.

Demon11
06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
He may have went broke by O! MY! DAMN! Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was one of the best games I've ever played or will probably ever play. It's too bad that game doesn't get the love it deserves, it is a thousand times better than Skyrim.

The game's foundation was great.. the graphics, combat, and world/lore .. but it just felt like an MMO in a singleplayer game. All the quests are, go here, collect 10 of these, or kill 10 of these. Which makes sense, considering the game was supposed to be an MMO. But the game honestly was boring and repetitive (like an MMO), without the satisfaction of great gear and social interaction they bring.

I can't really understand the comments calling him stupid. He formed a company, creating jobs, and made a pretty decent game, which just wasn't good enough to garner income, which is pretty tough in todays gaming market.

I guess it's really a shame that someone would try and contribute to the world, with something they really care about (Schilling is a huge fan of games). I guess we just need more greedy people who just care about the dollars in their wallet. Can't wait to see what this worlds like in 10 more years!

slugger82685
06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
The game's foundation was great.. the graphics, combat, and world/lore .. but it just felt like an MMO in a singleplayer game. All the quests are, go here, collect 10 of these, or kill 10 of these. Which makes sense, considering the game was supposed to be an MMO. But the game honestly was boring and repetitive (like an MMO), without the satisfaction of great gear and social interaction they bring.

I can't really understand the comments calling him stupid. He formed a company, creating jobs, and made a pretty decent game, which just wasn't good enough to garner income, which is pretty tough in todays gaming market.

I guess it's really a shame that someone would try and contribute to the world, with something they really care about (Schilling is a huge fan of games). I guess we just need more greedy people who just care about the dollars in their wallet. Can't wait to see what this worlds like in 10 more years!

I have absolutely no problem with him trying to start a company in something he has a passion in, I think its great. Free enterprise is what our country is founded on....IMO though, he did not structure the finances he put into his company well, I am not sure how many games the company came out with but it just seemed like he thought he could throw tons of money into something and it should be successful without having a real business plan. I mean, I dont play games too often, but I play enough to know the companies and what the top games are and I for one had no idea what the name of his company was nor what games they developed. To me, that screams a failure in the advertising and marketing department which means he probably threw most of the money into R&D which is great and what a lot of companies should do, but you also have to get name brand recognition out there and make your target customers aware of your product.

Demon11
06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
I have absolutely no problem with him trying to start a company in something he has a passion in, I think its great. Free enterprise is what our country is founded on....IMO though, he did not structure the finances he put into his company well, I am not sure how many games the company came out with but it just seemed like he thought he could throw tons of money into something and it should be successful without having a real business plan. I mean, I dont play games too often, but I play enough to know the companies and what the top games are and I for one had no idea what the name of his company was nor what games they developed. To me, that screams a failure in the advertising and marketing department which means he probably threw most of the money into R&D which is great and what a lot of companies should do, but you also have to get name brand recognition out there and make your target customers aware of your product.

I agree that it probably wasn't set up in the best position it could have been, but i do blame it partially on bad luck, as the article indicates. They put out a decent game, the dice just didn't roll in his favor.

thefeckcampaign
06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Well that sucks. Want to know what never will go bankrupt in America, McDonalds. If I were ever a multi-millionaire I'd open a few of them as a backup or something. Have you ever seen one go down due to lack of business?Yes, right in BKLYN. They just know how to cover their tracks well so you don't recognize the building and realize that they went down.

Demon11
06-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Dude had enough loot to never have to lift a finger for the rest of his life. Call it greed, call it foolishness, call it whatever you want. Any way about it the guy blew it.

And if he suceeded he could have put made sure his entire family, and their families were in great shape their entire lifes, as well as give 300 people great jobs. Just a failure story about the american dream.

Metsfan0791
06-22-2012, 10:11 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. This guy is always giving his opinions when no one truly cares about what he has to say. He seems like a know it all and I'm sure he thought nothing would hurt him if he spent all his money. Wish I could have sympathy.

waveycrockett
06-23-2012, 02:37 AM
At least he didn't blow all his money on gold chains, cars and rims

thefeckcampaign
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
At least he didn't blow all his money on gold chains, cars and rimsAnd who do you know has done that?

Yankee Clipper
06-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I have no sympathy for idiots like this. Go ahead and invest your money into something, but save a few million for yourself. It's not that difficult to understand.

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand how these athletes don't save a couple of million in case something like this happens.

C-ross12
06-23-2012, 09:27 AM
I think its important to remember that he hes still better off then probably all of us on here. As an ESPN analyst, he should make anything from 200k to 1m a year. The average male makes 45k a year in the US. I'll save my sympothy for someone who deserves it honestly. He also probably has a ton of revenue from endorsements. I know for a fact he was with Ford for a while.

sager729
06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
He's a dumbass.

JackB
06-23-2012, 10:23 AM

And add Chinese resturants to that.

1-800-STFU
06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I never even heard of 38 studios.....

OH WAIT, they made that ****** Reckoning game, no wonder

1-800-STFU
06-23-2012, 11:15 AM

No it's not, it's a bad game. Bad unpolished game with nothing new to offer.

Bland as bland can be.

t327
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
The dude took a risk, and failed. He admitted he failed. Life moves on.

He has a back up job that gives him a decent living. So what if he has to put those gold plated toilets on hold? He and his family will survive.

He could be like many former athletes and coaching in the minor leagues...instead, he'll be sitting on BBTN talking baseball again as soon as all of this is taken care of.

Kudos Schilling. At least 1 of your 2 dreams came true.

Lil Rhody
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Dear Curt,
This is Rhode Island speaking asking if we caN HAVE OUR MONEY BACK! We cheered for you and loved you but know we dont need another burdon on our debt we already have.

In best regards
Rhode Island

PS **** YOU

HrtHustleNMscle
06-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Why is anyone on here acting like they would know what to do with 50 million dollars? If everyone was that smart than they would already have at least a few million, which I am guessing most of the people who come on this site don't. The guy made a bad investment, it happens all the time. Personally, I don't really know why anyone feels like they need to invest in anything once they have made a 100 million dollars. Collecting interest on that seems like a pretty healthy way to live, but then again I have never had that dilemma so I wouldn't know. Could be worse, he could be Mike Tyson who made 300 million in the 80's and 90's which is like 500 million now and it just disappeared into coke, hookers, and Don King.

NYKNYGNYY
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM
he bought boston all of there beer and chicken

06-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Why is anyone on here acting like they would know what to do with 50 million dollars? If everyone was that smart than they would already have at least a few million, which I am guessing most of the people who come on this site don't. The guy made a bad investment, it happens all the time. Personally, I don't really know why anyone feels like they need to invest in anything once they have made a 100 million dollars. Collecting interest on that seems like a pretty healthy way to live, but then again I have never had that dilemma so I wouldn't know. Could be worse, he could be Mike Tyson who made 300 million in the 80's and 90's which is like 500 million now and it just disappeared into coke, hookers, and Don King.

Schilling loves games and this was more of a passion that just a simple investment for him. I'm guessing that he wanted to run this company as his career after baseball. Basically have a career that is not baseball related in anyway.

waveycrockett
06-23-2012, 02:19 PM
And who do you know has done that?

Shaq (filed for bankruptcy), Antoine Walker, Allen Iverson etc.. etc..

Havoc Wreaker
06-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Sucks for him, but Curt Schilling is an *******!

hugepatsfan
06-23-2012, 02:58 PM
**** Curt Shilling. I live in Rhode Island and our ****ing idiot government decided to invest in his BS company.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markbergen/2012/06/22/curt-schilling-and-the-ineptitude-of-rhode-island/

Webslinger
06-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, no one ever said athletes were the greatest minds - that's why they're athletes. If you've saved up 50 million dollars would you risk it on some wild venture like this? Even if you had 50 million and weren't making a dime off the interest alone, you'd still set for life! If I wanted to star a business I might enjoy I might risk a million or two, but not 50!

BlinkManJan02
06-23-2012, 03:37 PM

This is what I was thinking. At least it wasn't ALL mindless spending. I've been reading the comments and he appears to be a diva according to others on here haha. I don't follow baseball too closely so idk what type of dude he is. I do admire that he tried to invest in something though, and didn't buy 5 mansions and a ton of other stuff (he very well could have, but at least he did try to invest and not blow it all).

Nonetheless, definitely no sympathy. Even after the collapse of his video game company and going 'bankrupt', he will still have more money than I ever will haha.

Driven
06-23-2012, 05:49 PM
You make it sound so honorable. Him and his family and their families would have done just fine with the $100MM+ he earned from MLB paychecks. A guy with that kind of money failing in a new business isn't most people's idea of the American dream. He had the dream all wrapped up and then got greedy and short-sighted.
Short-sighted? Sure. Greedy? Maybe.

If I had a **** load of money, I'd put it in business, too. Why not? Yeah, you might fail and lose everything. Or you may not. But if I have an opportunity, I'm not going to just sit on the money and relax. I'd rather work, try to do something new, and make my mark on the world. There's 8 billion of us in the world. I get that he's already famous, but he has an opportunity to do things that no one else can.

I don't think that's greedy.

Fly
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
his video game company went **** up, no surprises here

NYC DRUMMER
06-23-2012, 06:10 PM
that damn curse of the bambino has struck again................................ Who will be the next former red sox player to be stung !!!!!!!!!!!!

scottythegreat1
06-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Its a shame that its gone. Oh! Well. Business has been bad in the high-tech video game world. Development costs have skyrocketed over the years combined with the recession.

I just hope that Grant Kirkhope keeps composing video game music.

DodgerB24
06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I would have just modded games. :shrug:

Az_Dodgers_Fan
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Whats funny is he is A) a multimillionaire, B) a hardcore Republican, and C) took $75,000,000 in public money to start a company in another state. Success or fail, he is such a hypocrite. I seriously think he was banking on his name being attached to the game to make it a success. His ego was damn huge when he played here in Phoenix, helping bring a title to Boston overinflated it.

jlohm1
06-23-2012, 07:53 PM

i feel the same way. i just dont see how/why athletes tend to blow through millions like it's nothing. they make more in a year than most people make their whole lives. when they blow through it, either through bad investments or just blowing it all, i can't and i won't feel sorry for them.

jlohm1
06-23-2012, 07:57 PM

you have a point, but honestly to invest your life savings into 1 businesses that you don't know will take off or not is just as stupid as blowing though it. maybe he should have just invested half before he knew if it would fail or succeed. then this way, he would still have $25 million in the bank.

LOOTERX9
06-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Lets all LOL at Curt Shilling. hahahahah!!!

ewing
06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Dumb white pitchers :pity::pity::pity:

pd7631
06-24-2012, 04:55 AM
And who do you know has done that?

Shaq (filed for bankruptcy), Antoine Walker, Allen Iverson etc.. etc..

AI isn't bankrupt, nor has he ever filed for bankruptcy. Get your facts straight before you come on here and spew that garbage, *******.

waveycrockett
06-24-2012, 09:17 AM
AI isn't bankrupt, nor has he ever filed for bankruptcy. Get your facts straight before you come on here and spew that garbage, *******.

lmao your mad your boy is broke that's why he needs to play in 3rd world countries to pay his bills.

1-800-STFU
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM

lol AI's mama is angry with you now you're in trouble.

UaWilcat23
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
yeah i was watching baseball tonight and he said that

UaWilcat23
06-24-2012, 04:48 PM

He is broke. He currently owns a Georgia jewelry store $859000. He said Shaq filed for bankruptcy, he never said AI filed. Also you provided us with no facts lol.

metsbulls1025
06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
The game actually sold pretty well. 1.2 million copies I believe. 90 percent of the industry would love to do those numbers. The problem was the game was so big he needed to sell around 3 million copies to break even.

What he did wrong was he went way to big out the gate. He put an all star team together to make the game spent way to much money.

The one positive thing from all this is Epic picked up most of the employees who lost their jobs.

Jeffy25
06-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Did you know that Curt Schilling had the greatest strike percentage of any starter in baseball history with at least 500 innings as a starter.

almost 70%

Jeffy25
06-24-2012, 11:09 PM
From wikipedia

In January 2008, Schilling announced that he would be focusing on an MMORPG project after his retirement. Comic book creator Todd MacFarlane and fantasy author R.A. Salvatore were working with Schilling on the project.[60] The new game was developed under the code-name Copernicus, with a single-player RPG set in the same setting titled Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning by 38 Studios released in February 2012. Executives from 38 Studios introduced the game at the Comic-Con 2010 convention in San Diego.[61]
In July 2010, the Rhode Island Board of Economic Development approved a $75 million guaranteed loan to 38 Studios. 38 Studios promised to bring 450 jobs to the state by the end of 2012. In May 2012, 38 Studios defaulted on its loan from the state of Rhode Island and failed to meet payroll obligations to its employees. 38 Studios and its subsidiary, Big Huge Games, then laid off their staffs[62] with a mass email.[63] Some of the laid-off employees may have second mortgages because the company had not actually sold homes for them as part of a relocation package.[64] Some have accused Schilling of hypocrisy based on the conflict between his professed views on "big government" and the studio's relationship with "big government".[65]

SportsNY
06-25-2012, 12:23 AM
It just baffles me how more and more pro athletes go broke.

pd7631
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
He is broke. He currently owns a Georgia jewelry store $859000. He said Shaq filed for bankruptcy, he never said AI filed. Also you provided us with no facts lol.

Oh really?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/allen-iverson-isn-t-broke-definition-231239875.html

But Allen Iverson not being broke isn't much of a story, so the media didn't really give it the same coverage as the original FALSE story claiming that he was broke. The result......ill informed people such as yourself go on thinking something that's not true.

R. Johnson#3
06-25-2012, 06:17 AM
At first glance I thought this thread was "Curt Schilling is a Joke".

Pinstripe pride
06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
at least he didnt go broke most atheletes conventional methid................drugs

bagwell368
06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Schilling was a great pitcher that deserves to be in the HOF.

Schilling is a grade A *******/insufferable jerk from the two times I met him to many of his public utterances.

Schilling is in a lot of hot water. Some conservative guy or group will end up footing his bills at least to live. But the days of Schilling flying high and talking of public office? So sorry, all done.

bagwell368
06-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Whats funny is he is A) a multimillionaire, B) a hardcore Republican, and C) took $75,000,000 in public money to start a company in another state. Success or fail, he is such a hypocrite. I seriously think he was banking on his name being attached to the game to make it a success. His ego was damn huge when he played here in Phoenix, helping bring a title to Boston overinflated it.

He's more Libertarian than Republican, and with all the pros and cons of that mindset.

utl768
06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
anyone who can squander that much money is ********

Jeffy25
06-25-2012, 01:27 PM

fwiw, that 75 million is a loan, not a gift and he is very Libertarian. I don't think he is very Republican at all.

JordansBulls
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Yep

BKLYNpigeon
06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
who cares. its just money. he can make it back doing other things.

BKLYNpigeon
06-25-2012, 02:11 PM
anyone who can squander that much money is ********

this is what people with no money say.

BKLYNpigeon
06-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Its easy to make money, Its Hard to do what you want to do.

Skeem3227
06-25-2012, 04:47 PM
"Schilling is a Libertarian"--That's why he appeared with G.W. Bush and John McCain at campaign rallies and endorsed Republican Scott Brown for the Massachusetts senate seat. Oh, yeah, he griped about government bailouts in early 2009, but what does he do when his business is failing? Ask the government for a bailout.

thefeckcampaign
06-25-2012, 06:16 PM
"Schilling is a Libertarian"--That's why he appeared with G.W. Bush and John McCain at campaign rallies and endorsed Republican Scott Brown for the Massachusetts senate seat. Oh, yeah, he griped about government bailouts in early 2009, but what does he do when his business is failing? Ask the government for a bailout.Of course! :)

Jeffy25
06-25-2012, 06:18 PM
"Schilling is a Libertarian"--That's why he appeared with G.W. Bush and John McCain at campaign rallies and endorsed Republican Scott Brown for the Massachusetts senate seat. Oh, yeah, he griped about government bailouts in early 2009, but what does he do when his business is failing? Ask the government for a bailout.

You do realize that the grant his company received is nothing like a bailout in any way, right?

If you are going to call him a hypocrite, you might take the time to learn what a grant is and how it works. It's a loan, a federal loan. Which comes with huge stipulations to get.

It's like a college kid getting FAFSA to pay for school. It's a gov't loan to bring jobs to a community that the company has to pay back.

DaBear
06-25-2012, 06:25 PM
I have no pity for stupid people like Curt Schilling. You were fortunate enough to make millions of dollars because you're good at throwing a baseball, and now you run to the government to bail you out when you made the dumbest decision of your life putting tons of money into a risky business. Tough.

rkelly7
06-25-2012, 07:09 PM
This quote makes me giggle now.

"I'll wager one million dollars to the charity of anyone's choice, versus the same amount to ALS. If the blood on the sock is fake, I'll donate a million dollars to that person's charity; if not, they donate that amount to ALS. Any takers?"
-- Curt Schilling

Still wanna take that bet Curt? You better be dang positive! Like, HIV positive to take that bet! ;)

runnermjr1296
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm living paycheck to hoping for next paycheck,I'm sure he's doing better than most of us here

paperstacks1980
06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted but i jst heard about it today - Schilling lost $50 MILLION on his video gaming company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLfSO...layer_embedded

Jeffy25
06-30-2012, 01:11 PM
already had this thread

Cayman Fan
06-30-2012, 01:26 PM
He is such a idiot...and he blames the Gov for part of his problems...and not being able to raise more capital...what planet does he live on...who would have given him more money..imagine it was a Dem governor?? Since he is such a big Republican backer.

Phantom Dreamer
08-25-2015, 06:23 PM
ESPN finally pulled Schilling off the air following a deleted tweet where he compared Muslims with Nazis.

Zmaster52
08-25-2015, 06:27 PM
ESPN finally pulled Schilling off the air following a deleted tweet where he compared Muslims with Nazis.

Any idea what the tweet said?

If it's as bad as it seems then I hope the cancer gets to him

Zmaster52
08-25-2015, 06:48 PM
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/25/9206753/curt-schilling-muslims-nazis

"It's said that 5-10% of Muslims are Extremists

*insert picture of Hitler*

In 1940, only 7% of Germans were Nazi's, how'd that go?"

Then Schilling commented "The Math is staggering when you get to true numbers"

Yep, hope the cancer eats him alive.

spliff(TONE)
08-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Yeah, stupid people definitely deserve to get nasty diseases and die.

flea
08-25-2015, 07:01 PM

There is no greater sin than holding a wrong opinion. Hope his progeny suffers too! HAHA that'll show 'em.

Silent
08-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Dude need to just do his job and shut his broke *** up

Zmaster52
08-25-2015, 07:08 PM

Yeah, they do.

spliff(TONE)
08-25-2015, 07:18 PM
That's what I said. No need to parrot me parroting you.

spliff(TONE)
08-25-2015, 07:19 PM
I really dislike Schilling too FWIW. That began years ago though.

Zmaster52
08-25-2015, 07:24 PM
I really dislike Schilling too FWIW. That began years ago though.

My bad. I get the impression you're incredibly sarcastic

spliff(TONE)
08-25-2015, 07:31 PM
I am. I hate Schilling but sure don't wish disease and death upon him.

Gotcha.

Qwertys
08-25-2015, 11:16 PM

What you just said is practically worse than what Shilling said. Pretty disturbing that you would wish death on someone for having a different opinion than yours.

atarisound
08-25-2015, 11:25 PM

wait, whats wrong with the quote?

CityofTreez
08-25-2015, 11:31 PM
He angers the Muslim community, and they want his head!
Sounds familiar...

Randy West
08-26-2015, 12:13 AM
Man this guy and athletes in general and their financial planners or lack of. If you have 50 mil you don't dump 50 mil into something you get a loan for a lesser amount and dump that into the investment or business.

You don't dump the capital that makes millions in interest, you get a small business loan against that capital and dump it into the business.

Curt if you read this pm me and I'll teach you how you can protect whatever you have left

nessythegreat
08-26-2015, 12:15 AM
What was wrong with what he said? He was just stating facts. I do not understand how he can get in trouble for that.

Halladay
08-26-2015, 12:38 AM
What was wrong with what he said? He was just stating facts. I do not understand how he can get in trouble for that.
Fact:Muslims are not Nazis.

nessythegreat
08-26-2015, 01:29 AM
When did he say that Muslims are Nazis?

Midnightbottle
08-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Cause in today's world everything and anything gets you in trouble.

Jeffy25
08-26-2015, 03:39 AM

Honestly....the last thing you said in your post, is worse than anything Schilling said here.

Schilling is an idiot, no question. Remarkably under-rated pitcher too....it's kind of funny how that works really.

But you wish his cancer would eat him alive?

And fwiw, yeah...there are a portion of Muslims that are extremists. Same with Nazi's and any terrorists groups. There are extremists in all groups. He relayed some information he felt like sharing. Was he wrong? Was it relevant to what he was discussing? Should he only talk about baseball?

I don't have any issues with what he said if all he said is what you quoted here (I didn't read any links about this).

Zmaster52
08-26-2015, 05:30 AM
5-10% of the Muslim population would equate to roughly 100-200 million people btw

After he made the tweet he commented that he didn't regret what he was saying at all and that it was a higher percentage. Sorry my people got through a lot of **** and quite frankly I'm sick of bigoted redneck America acting superior and pretty much lumping everybody together

Whatever. What I said is considered horrible but he's ultra conservative which almost always equates (and the tweet shows) he's racist. I'll withdraw that comment and just say that since he got cancer and went broke, karma probably exists.

Jeffy25
08-26-2015, 06:05 AM
5-10% of the Muslim population would equate to roughly 100-200 million people btw

After he made the tweet he commented that he didn't regret what he was saying at all and that it was a higher percentage. Sorry my people got through a lot of **** and quite frankly I'm sick of bigoted redneck America acting superior and pretty much lumping everybody together

Whatever. What I said is considered horrible but he's ultra conservative which almost always equates (and the tweet shows) he's racist. I'll withdraw that comment and just say that since he got cancer and went broke, karma probably exists.

I understand that the percentage of Muslims that could become radical to be far lower, that it's somewhere in the 0.1-1% range....however, that's still a large number.

Yes, to say 10, 20, or 30% of Muslims are extremists is just misinformed. 1. It doesn't mean they will do anything even if they would be considered extreme. 2. Being radical just means they could become extreme.

But Schilling was just making a simple point, not a large percentage of Germans were Nazi's either. It doesn't take a large percentage of a population to rise up and create issues.

Here is something for viewing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3NzkAOo3s

She is saying it's 15-25% of Muslims, but I haven't actually seen that data properly supported, I would estimate that it is lower, but that's for a different discussion.

And the statistics on terrorists attacks fwiw, 95% are carried out by Muslims (worldwide)
http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Muslim_Statistics_-_Terrorism

Obviously, the vast majority of Muslism are peaceful, happy people. I don't think anybody could ever deny that.

PhillyFaninLA
08-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Maybe he should auction off that sock with the ketchup stains... :shrug:

Wow, you don't actually believe its ketchup....if you do....get a friggin' clue and don't let your blind Yankee fandom miss the obvious.

I really hope your kidding...if not then....................

GottaBelieve
08-26-2015, 07:21 AM
"Broke" people should probably keep bigoted views to themselves and off twitter.

Jimmy the Greek lost his much more prolific career over a far less offensive statement.

Victory Faust
08-26-2015, 09:11 AM

As someone who has friends and family from the south, I can tell you I'm sick of "bigoted America" feeling the constant need to hurl slurs like redneck, trailer trash, etc. You either feel people should be treated with respect, or you don't. You can't tiptoe around bending over backward to avoid insulting one group, and then in the very next sentence, you insult another group. Or do some people's sensitivities "matter" more to you than others?

Jeffy25
08-26-2015, 09:21 AM
As someone who has friends and family from the south, I can tell you I'm sick of "bigoted America" feeling the constant need to hurl slurs like redneck, trailer trash, etc. You either feel people should be treated with respect, or you don't. You can't tiptoe around bending over backward to avoid insulting one group, and then in the very next sentence, you insult another group. Or do some people's sensitivities "matter" more to you than others?

:clap:

Zmaster52
08-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Calling somebody a redneck isn't going to have the same effect as calling a black person a ****** or a Muslim a terrorist.

Institutional racism is very much real and considering how white people or white southerners have never been prejudiced against or mistreated by society or government,

Yeah. Some peoples sensitivities matter more in this retrospect.

spliff(TONE)
08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Wow, you don't actually believe its ketchup....if you do....get a friggin' clue and don't let your blind Yankee fandom miss the obvious.

I really hope your kidding...if not then....................
Seriously. Everyone knows it was actually BBQ sauce.

blams
08-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Racists and bigots don't deserve respect, period.

Gibby23
08-26-2015, 11:18 AM
You do realize that the grant his company received is nothing like a bailout in any way, right?

If you are going to call him a hypocrite, you might take the time to learn what a grant is and how it works. It's a loan, a federal loan. Which comes with huge stipulations to get.

It's like a college kid getting FAFSA to pay for school. It's a gov't loan to bring jobs to a community that the company has to pay back.

Do you know what a grant is? You don't pay those back as long as you meet the purpose and stipulations. A grant is not a loan.

pacofunk64
08-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I get what Curt was trying to say. Unfortunately each culture has bad people which represent a small % of that culture. A lot of blacks are sterotyped into being uneducated, gang bangin thugs. Same with Muslims now, they are all being looked at as terrorists because of some ****ing cowards. It sucks that we all have to live in this world like this.

atarisound
08-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Fact: That's not what he said.

MJL80
08-26-2015, 12:27 PM
The fact that Curt Schilling is actually on Twitter is the sad thing, grow up

spliff(TONE)
08-26-2015, 12:49 PM
I get what Curt was trying to say. Unfortunately each culture has bad people which represent a small % of that culture. A lot of blacks are sterotyped into being uneducated, gang bangin thugs. Same with Muslims now, they are all being looked at as terrorists because of some ****ing cowards. It sucks that we all have to live in this world like this.
Suicide is a viable alternative.

Halladay
08-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Fact: That's not what he said.
My bad, guess I misunderstood the part where he compared an entire religion to that of Nazis Germany.

nessythegreat
08-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Calling somebody a redneck isn't going to have the same effect as calling a black person a ****** or a Muslim a terrorist.

Institutional racism is very much real and considering how white people or white southerners have never been prejudiced against or mistreated by society or government,

Since when is a Muslim a race? Seems pretty bigoted to me.

Zmaster52
08-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Since when is a Muslim a race? Seems pretty bigoted to me.

Lol

Pittz
08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
He angers the Muslim community, and they want his head!
Sounds familiar...

:laugh2:

Jeffy25
08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Do you know what a grant is? You don't pay those back as long as you meet the purpose and stipulations. A grant is not a loan.

If you don't reach those stipulations....it's not a bailout like he said.

nessythegreat
08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Lol
So you see only Arab people as Muslims? Because that's the only way someone could say that it is racist to be against/or say something bad about Muslims. When in fact the majority of Muslims are Asian. That's why what you said seems pretty bigoted to me.

Cubs420
08-26-2015, 04:35 PM

I am white and have been the subject of prejudice many times...You are pathetic.

also love how you throw words like Redneck and white trash around but when someone says something about another race you freak out...

Typical anti-white hypocrite.

Gibby23
08-26-2015, 04:40 PM
If you don't reach those stipulations....it's not a bailout like he said.

Still not a loan you repay, like you stated.

You wrote:

It's a gov't loan to bring jobs to a community that the company has to pay back.

You must meet stipulations, sure, but the government lets a bunch of stipulations fall through the cracks and rarely enforces the recall of grant monies. But in no way is it close to any kind of loan. Loans and grants are two separate things.

Victory Faust
08-26-2015, 07:25 PM

No. They don't. As someone who has friends with little children who live in trailer parks, it pisses me off to hear people (who claim to be about equality and inclusion) make disparaging remarks about "trailer trash."

Those little kids deserve to be belittled because their skin is white? No. They don't.

And, by the way, I grew up as a minority in Detroit's inner city. In middle school they had a fun little tradition called "honkey Friday." Black teachers and administrators routinely and openly showed preference to black students. I once failed a music assignment because I didn't know the words to a soul song (it was a music exercise, not pop culture).

People are people, and many times thy wil be prejudiced against others.

So your contention that whites or southerners have never experienced discrimination is, frankly, stupid

C-ross12
08-26-2015, 08:10 PM
This should probably go in the politics thread. Schilling is correct in saying that radical Islam is quite worrisome. The Nazi comparison is quite off though. Germany had tons of resources and mobilized through Europe. ISIS ( the main radical faction) isn't even close to that kind of scope. In terms of mindsets, they may be somewhat similar if that's what hes trying to say. I will say this though, poll numbers do suggest that radical Islam terrorist are more acceptable among mainstream Muslims then just "1%". I really do believe this is a bigger issue then "99% of Muslims are peaceful."

coakland
08-27-2015, 02:15 AM
My bad, guess I misunderstood the part where he compared an entire religion to that of Nazis Germany.

Oh we must be seeing different pictures. Cause the one I see is comparing Radical Extremists to Nazis. Which is true.
I don't know what you're looking at

TRIUMPHATOR
08-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Suicide is a viable alternative.

This is an open forum, you have no idea what anyone is going through including those that are reading your absurd post. Comments like this are unacceptable.

Suicide is NEVER an option

spliff(TONE)
08-27-2015, 01:43 PM
That's a lie.

TheIlladelph16
08-27-2015, 02:27 PM
No. They don't. As someone who has friends with little children who live in trailer parks, it pisses me off to hear people (who claim to be about equality and inclusion) make disparaging remarks about "trailer trash."

Those little kids deserve to be belittled because their skin is white? No. They don't.

And, by the way, I grew up as a minority in Detroit's inner city. In middle school they had a fun little tradition called "honkey Friday." Black teachers and administrators routinely and openly showed preference to black students. I once failed a music assignment because I didn't know the words to a soul song (it was a music exercise, not pop culture).

People are people, and many times thy wil be prejudiced against others.

So your contention that whites or southerners have never experienced discrimination is, frankly, stupid

The trainer trash thing isn't because their skin color is white. It's because they're poor rednecks. There are poor rednecks of all colors, shapes and sizes. Certainly, the children don't deserve the scorn, but they don't receive it for the reasons you are stating Faust.

spliff(TONE)
08-27-2015, 02:42 PM
The trainer trash thing isn't because their skin color is white. It's because they're poor rednecks. There are poor rednecks of all colors, shapes and sizes. Certainly, the children don't deserve the scorn, but they don't receive it for the reasons you are stating Faust.
I've never once heard of someone referring to anything but white people when using terms like redneck or trailer trash.

TRIUMPHATOR
08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Can a mod please close this thread.

This forum has turned into who can say the most asinine thing.

Yes Schilling was wrong in his statement fundamentally. But to think ISIS is joke, regardless of opinionated percentages of radicalism, is to put your head in the sand. To refer to "them" as a race is the first sign of stupidity. To refer to anyone that lives in a trailer is trash puts you beneath the moral line you may be trying to defend as many dont have the choice. A person who is white from the south shouldn't be called a redneck or trailer trash, just as a black person in the same neighborhood shouldn't be called N****r. Opressive or condescending remarks are only accepted when they don't refer YOU.

Smarten up posters!

TheIlladelph16
08-27-2015, 02:59 PM
I've never once heard of someone referring to anything but white people when using terms like redneck or trailer trash.

Well I certainly have heard it directed elsewhere, but I would say the term is predominantly used towards poor white folks if I had to guess.

elements1985
08-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Yeah, way to be the bigger man. Sounds like you're not exactly playing with a full deck. You do realize Europe is trying to stave off Sharia law, right? Ever watch the news?

This controversy is exactly why you don't post contentious ideas in 140 characters -- Schilling chose the wrong forum to voice his politics. The guy never learns.

But the point is valid and historically true: hungry and determined minority groups have the capacity to overtake and usurp the apathetic majority (saying only 7% of Germans were Nazi's, BTW, shows a tacit understanding that not all Muslims are extremist). I don't see the racism.

There are definitive parallels between radical Islam and Nazism (some direct links, others more subtle). But the key difference is Nazism germinated in a well-educated, technologically advanced society (albeit still reeling in from the loss of WWI and Depression...but National Socialism wasn't 3rd world phenomenon like radical Islam). That's why I don't like the link.

But the minority-majority point is valid by Schilling (just don't be a dope and say it on Twitter).

Dugmet
08-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Ever watch someone die of cancer?

flips333
08-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Good.

RedRocket44
08-28-2015, 12:51 PM

Game companies are closing left and right the last 10 year with cost rising to make HD games. Pretty foolish to enter the industry.

Have to wonder if he had a financial adviser or anyone looking out for him. What the hell does Schilling know about video games? Seems like about the riskiest business venture you could possibly get into.

otatop
08-28-2015, 02:37 PM
I am white and have been the subject of prejudice many times...You are pathetic.
You didn't bold the part of the quote that mattered, the part that says "or mistreated by society or government".

Everyone is prejudiced against at some point, but white people have never been relegated to using separate bathrooms, schools, bus seats, etc in the US.

RedRocket44
08-28-2015, 03:06 PM

You sort of answered your own question (first sentence).

Just because somebody doesn't have millions of dollars doesn't mean they aren't "smart". This is a case of quite the opposite. The guy threw a baseball for a living, and made over 100M before taxes doing so, you don't exactly need to have an IQ of 120+ to do that. He sunk every penny he made into starting a video game company. There's lots of examples of rich athletes, musicians, etc that have blown all kinds of money on stupid things, largely because they aren't smart people to begin with.

There's a difference between making a bad investment and basically sinking every penny you have into something you know nothing about in the form of your own company. It's not even like he financed a promising up and coming video game company by buying stock, he literally started his own studio and it failed... with pretty much every penny he owned. BR has his career earnings at just over 114M. After taxes, agent fees and money he spent throughout his career 50M sounds just about right, so yeah, he basically blew his career earnings. I'm sure he hired people knowledgeable in the industry to basically run the company, but it probably failed because he was in over his head and didn't know what he was doing in the first place, and he probably surrounded himself with the wrong people.

spliff(TONE)
08-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Why is anyone on here acting like they would know what to do with 50 million dollars? If everyone was that smart than they would already have at least a few million
Completely asinine statement.

Dugmet
08-30-2015, 12:04 AM
He isnt broke as in penniless. He probably draws over $100k / year from his MLB pension. I believe pensions are protected from lawsuits, etc.

Paulie6986
09-01-2015, 04:21 AM
Yeah, way to be the bigger man. Sounds like you're not exactly playing with a full deck. You do realize Europe is trying to stave off Sharia law, right? Ever watch the news?

This controversy is exactly why you don't post contentious ideas in 140 characters -- Schilling chose the wrong forum to voice his politics. The guy never learns.

But the point is valid and historically true: hungry and determined minority groups have the capacity to overtake and usurp the apathetic majority (saying only 7% of Germans were Nazi's, BTW, shows a tacit understanding that not all Muslims are extremist). I don't see the racism.

There are definitive parallels between radical Islam and Nazism (some direct links, others more subtle). But the key difference is Nazism germinated in a well-educated, technologically advanced society (albeit still reeling in from the loss of WWI and Depression...but National Socialism wasn't 3rd world phenomenon like radical Islam). That's why I don't like the link.

But the minority-majority point is valid by Schilling (just don't be a dope and say it on Twitter).

Great take elements1985. I agree 100% with you. Schilling pointed out real world facts. Nothing less.

Check this out.....http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2014/11/20/the-fearless-woman-who-gave-an-answer-that-no-muslim-on-earth-could-argue-with/

jwblue
09-02-2015, 06:01 PM
I never understand how people with ton's of dough don't just sit on it. How much money do people need?

Didn't Dykstra lose $40M? I even liked Dykstra as a player.

Phantom Dreamer
04-20-2016, 09:32 PM
ESPN finally fired this creep. I am sure he will blame everyone but himself, as per usual.

gaughan333
04-20-2016, 09:52 PM
espn sucks

lakerfan85
04-20-2016, 10:53 PM
They need to fire that chick from Sunday night baseball..

Jack the Ripper
04-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Agreed that ESPN sucks. If I wasn't forced to watch specific sports/events on ESPN because they are the only channel covering it or allowing it to be covered, I would never watch their programming.

gaughan333
04-20-2016, 10:59 PM

I can't stand her. She makes Aaron Boone sound passable. If she'd stop trying to compare MLB to her softabll experience it'd be more tolerable. They are just completely different sports

One Nut Kruk
04-20-2016, 11:17 PM

She's horrendous

fingerbang
04-20-2016, 11:19 PM
Agreed that ESPN sucks. If I wasn't forced to watch specific sports/events on ESPN because they are the only channel covering it or allowing it to be covered, I would never watch their programming.

It amazes me that a network that covers grown men playing children's games for some reason decided they needed to be the leaders of the political correctness movement. I don't know of any network that polices their employees opinions quite like espn.

ciaban
04-20-2016, 11:34 PM
I never understand how people with ton's of dough don't just sit on it. How much money do people need?

Didn't Dykstra lose $40M? I even liked Dykstra as a player.

He made like 36 mill as a player, but these guys all have to pay taxes, Grienke isn't going to see 200 million. He's getting like 100 million.

rhino17
04-21-2016, 12:02 AM
espn sucks

ESPn Sucks for a lot of reasons

firing a Loser like Schilling isn't one of them

gaughan333
04-21-2016, 12:03 AM
It amazes me that a network that covers grown men playing children's games for some reason decided they needed to be the leaders of the political correctness movement. I don't know of any network that polices their employees opinions quite like espn.

They're on the front lines of of the social justice warrior corps. man

gaughan333
04-21-2016, 12:05 AM
She's horrendous

And yet, she's still better than Harold Reynolds, somehow

turnaround3
04-21-2016, 07:57 AM
I genuinely don't even find Mendoza to be that bad. Is she Vin Scully? No. But there are so many worse and less knowledgeable personalities on ESPN. That ogre she sits next to on SNB, for instance.

ClayK
04-21-2016, 10:35 AM
I don't think Mendoza is that bad ... the guy that annoys me is Rick Sutcliffe, but not really for any good reason. I just don't care for his style.

As for Schilling, good riddance. A steroid-using Neanderthal isn't necessary, given the other options.

Sofnr
04-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Call ESPN SJW's if u wish but the truth is it's all about money. They are trying to appeal to as many demographics and groups as possible. Because of this they would prefer their personalities not be constantly spouting stuff on social media about groups of people they don't like. Schilling was given a ton of chances. He was allowed to think whatever he wanted. All he had to do was not voice those opinions to the world while he was working for the company. He just couldn't handle it. I can't imagine how many times he's been warned about this by now. Good Riddance. Now he can start his own podcast or something and talk about baseball and everybody he dislikes.

Havoc Wreaker
04-21-2016, 11:54 AM
**** Schilling.

Chazm
04-21-2016, 02:11 PM
He isnt broke as in penniless. He probably draws over $100k / year from his MLB pension. I believe pensions are protected from lawsuits, etc.

I'm assuming they have it paying him from an annuity. Annuities have protection from creditors so he'll always get that money.

Dugmet
04-21-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm assuming they have it paying him from an annuity. Annuities have protection from creditors so he'll always get that money.

I'm just going of of what they said about OJ Simpson's retirement income from the NFL and how Fred Goldman couldn't collect from it with the civil lawsuit.

Midnightbottle
04-21-2016, 03:13 PM
I don't think Mendoza is that bad ... the guy that annoys me is Rick Sutcliffe, but not really for any good reason. I just don't care for his style.

As for Schilling, good riddance. A steroid-using Neanderthal isn't necessary, given the other options.
Schilling never did steroids

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Schilling is the guy who says things that everyone is thinking and is sort of true, but its just like... why say it? And why say it in an offensive manner? Nothing good can possibly come of it. You know what he's trying to say, but he's coming off as a jerk by saying it in the way he is saying it. The guy is missing that part of the brain that makes you think twice about saying something because you know it just won't end well.

What an idiot.

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Having said that, I do think Caitlyn Jenner should use the women's bathroom. I think it would be really messed up to see her/him peeing in the urinal next to me. I don't see what the big deal is. Use the women's bathroom. Don't know why some people have an issue with that. Are they really worried about little girls getting raped in the bathroom? As if that is the only way to commit that sort of crime and that men are going to start dressing as women to rape little girls in the bathroom. Give me a break. Such an irrational fear when you really think about it.

Sofnr
04-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Having said that, I do think Caitlyn Jenner should use the women's bathroom. I think it would be really messed up to see her/him peeing in the urinal next to me. I don't see what the big deal is. Use the women's bathroom. Don't know why some people have an issue with that. Are they really worried about little girls getting raped in the bathroom? As if that is the only way to commit that sort of crime and that men are going to start dressing as women to rape little girls in the bathroom. Give me a break. Such an irrational fear when you really think about it.

I don't even care about the transgender issue much. I can see where both sides are coming from. Personally i'm mostly with you. I don't see many cases where people are trying to abuse the idea. I think it's mostly irrational fear. But Schilling was already on his last leg over there. His employer told him to knock it off on several occasions, he was suspended, and then he comes back with this. He's got the right to voice his opinion. But ESPN has no obligation to keep employing him.

Hopper15
04-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Schilling is an egotistical prick. Should have been fired a long time ago.

CityofTreez
04-21-2016, 06:07 PM
His palace was a mound, and his seat was a bloody sock.
Chalk it up to the bloody gods!
Another toehead to laugh at while I stretch out the legs.

ShinobiNYC
04-21-2016, 07:02 PM
I agree 100% with his statement but that's not the cool or smart thing to say if you work for a Disney company (ESPN belongs to Disney).

Sucks for him and for freedom of speech overall, but he should know better.

rhino17
04-22-2016, 01:29 AM
Sucks for him and for freedom of speech overall

What???

He works for a private company, freedom of speech has ZERO involvement in that scenario.

GHGHCP
04-22-2016, 01:54 AM
I agree 100% with his statement but that's not the cool or smart thing to say if you work for a Disney company (ESPN belongs to Disney).

He is free to say whatever he wants for the most part. It is his right to do so. However he does not have the right to work for ESPN which is a private company with their own policies to uphold.

He is an idiot, a bigot and a political wonk. He'd be perfect as a GOP running mate come November.

numba1CHANGsta
04-22-2016, 02:27 AM
This guy went from helping the Red Sox break the curse to a cancer survivor to being broke to not knowing how to filter his opinions on social media to now being fired from ESPN and probably won't ever be back. What's next for this guy? My guess politics probably be Trump's running mate or something lol

The20thK
04-22-2016, 04:45 AM
So could I fire someone for voicing support of LBGT?

Sofnr
04-22-2016, 05:38 AM

You sure could. If you employ people who are causing your customer base to have negative reactions. From past history i don't think u employ people. I'm sure of it :) If u are catering to a group that hates lesbians and gays and you have an employee that constantly insults groups that dislikes lesbians and gays then i'd say firing him when be in ur best interest. Go with what makes u money. It's pretty simple. The difference is that ESPN, while being a horrible company all around, makes being open to all groups a huge thing. So they tend to get rid of people who have insulted every group possible over the past 3 years. Ur still welcome to do what u want. As Schilling is still welcome to spout his opinions. He's not obligated to ESPN employment.

thefeckcampaign
04-22-2016, 07:31 AM

It doesn't bother me one way or another what bathroom a transsexual uses, but if they want to make everyone one comfortable, he or she could simply use a family bathroom. I've also been in a club where it had a simply a unisex bathroom. Each stall was basically a very small room, with a normal door. You would then step out and everyone used the same sinks.

Dugmet
04-22-2016, 07:45 AM

I'm not sure, but I think most every state in the union abides by "At-Will" employment policies. At will means that an employer can fire any employee for any reason and that the employer does not need to disclose a reason for the dismissal. The only exception would be if the dismissal violated discrimination statutes.

Many people are surprised to learn, whether from an employment contract or employee handbook, that they are an "at-will employee". But what does being an at-will employee mean? Being an at-will employee means that your employer can terminate your employment at any time, for any cause - with or without notice. An employer has every right to walk up to an at-will employee and say, "I don't like that your favorite color is purple. You're fired." There are very few, if any, remedies for you, unless your employer did something to violate your employee rights or broke labor laws. - See more at: http://employment.findlaw.com/hiring-process/at-will-employee-faq-s.html#sthash.fOFw4G8V.dpuf

Chazm
04-22-2016, 09:54 AM

I'm just going of of what they said about OJ Simpson's retirement income from the NFL and how Fred Goldman couldn't collect from it with the civil lawsuit.

Yeah his pension was in an annuity and he had homes in FL that can't be taken away.

TheIlladelph16
04-22-2016, 10:17 AM

Freedom of Speech prevents the government from imprisoning and prosecuting you for your speech, with obvious exceptions. It has literally nothing to do with people saying stupid stuff and getting fired for it.

I feel like this needs to be explained every time an issue like this comes up because people seem to have no clue what Freedom of Speech actually grants you as a citizen.

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-22-2016, 11:49 AM
It doesn't bother me one way or another what bathroom a transsexual uses, but if they want to make everyone one comfortable, he or she could simply use a family bathroom. I've also been in a club where it had a simply a unisex bathroom. Each stall was basically a very small room, with a normal door. You would then step out and everyone used the same sinks.

Lol not every place has a family bathroom.

thefeckcampaign
04-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Lol not every place has a family bathroom.

You don't think I do not know that? :rolleyes:

The20thK
04-22-2016, 02:48 PM

I'm not sure, but I think most every state in the union abides by "At-Will" employment policies. At will means that an employer can fire any employee for any reason and that the employer does not need to disclose a reason for the dismissal. The only exception would be if the dismissal violated discrimination statutes.

Many people are surprised to learn, whether from an employment contract or employee handbook, that they are an "at-will employee". But what does being an at-will employee mean? Being an at-will employee means that your employer can terminate your employment at any time, for any cause - with or without notice. An employer has every right to walk up to an at-will employee and say, "I don't like that your favorite color is purple. You're fired." There are very few, if any, remedies for you, unless your employer did something to violate your employee rights or broke labor laws. - See more at: http://employment.findlaw.com/hiring-process/at-will-employee-faq-s.html#sthash.fOFw4G8V.dpuf

But could I fire them and use their support of the LBGT community as the reason for termination?

Seems like there would be a huge lawsuit if someone did that.

RamOG
04-22-2016, 02:55 PM
If I was a celebrity that held vastly different views from those of my constituents or fans, I would either use a secondary (unverified) social account to express those views or...heaven forbid, keep my trap shut.

ShinobiNYC
04-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Freedom of Speech prevents the government from imprisoning and prosecuting you for your speech, with obvious exceptions. It has literally nothing to do with people saying stupid stuff and getting fired for it.

I feel like this needs to be explained every time an issue like this comes up because people seem to have no clue what Freedom of Speech actually grants you as a citizen.

I mean he shared his religious and political views about something he feels passionate about, a lot of people share his view it's not like he said something absurd or anything. But whatever, that's the society we live in now and I understand it.

That's why I said it was dumb from his part.

TheIlladelph16
04-22-2016, 04:58 PM
I mean he shared his religious and political views about something he feels passionate about, a lot of people share his view it's not like he said something absurd or anything. But whatever, that's the society we live in now and I understand it.

That's why I said it was dumb from his part.

Curt is absolutely allowed to share his (frankly backwards imo) views to his heart's content. If he's going to do it publicly on social media, he just has to understand that he will face repercussions for it. He got away with soooooo much more than basically anyone at ESPN that had been fired for similar issues too. Bill Simmons for example got fired for daring to go after Goodell publicly over his actions as Commissioner, while Curt has been disparaging whole swaths of people publicly over and over again after several warnings.

My point is that this really isn't a "Freedom of Speech" issue, which many, many people attribute situations like this to incorrectly. If the government arrests you for saying "Eff the government etc." then that would be a violation of that person's freedom of speech. Private employers, schools, and other institutions don't have to abide by freedom of speech, particularly public facing ones where their employees represent their brand. It's why kids can't say whatever they want to their teachers or I can't just say what I want to my boss or my clients.

alkalinesolo
04-22-2016, 05:25 PM

It is crazy how many people think 'Freedom of Speech' means that you can say whatever you want, whenever you want with no consequences whatsoever.

The Bill of Rights has always been a list of rules for the government to follow. ESPN is not bound by the Bill of Rights whatsoever.

SfgiantsJD3
04-22-2016, 07:14 PM
It is crazy how many people think 'Freedom of Speech' means that you can say whatever you want, whenever you want with no consequences whatsoever.

The Bill of Rights has always been a list of rules for the government to follow. ESPN is not bound by the Bill of Rights whatsoever.

The bill of rights was intended to protect the citizens from the government based on the abuses of power over hundreds of years prior to coming to the new world.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

fingerbang
04-22-2016, 07:25 PM
It's crazy that people rush to defend the idea that your boss should be able to fire you for expressing your political views on freakin social media.

Do you guys like red light camera tickets too?

gaughan333
04-22-2016, 09:33 PM

Freedom of speech is actually an idea. The First Amendment is what makes it illegal for the Government to hinder it.