PDA

View Full Version : Bard says he should/is a reliever now

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Steve Berthiaume ‏@SBerthiaumeESPN
#RedSox from @jtomase: Bard says he's a reliever now.

John Tomase ‏@jtomase
Bard says he's a reliever now.
Retweeted by Buster Olney

Totally agree.

avrpatsfan
06-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Took him long enough

Nomar
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
In an epic battle against denial and gluttony, Bard fends off the urge to embarrass himself every five nights.

Station 13
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Good. Need him back on the team ASAP.

Crucis
06-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Good. Need him back on the team ASAP.

In place of? I wasn't aware that the bullpen was a weak spot for the Sox.

Nomar
06-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Padilla isnt really supposed to be an 8th inning guy

Station 13
06-22-2012, 05:34 PM

You don't want Bard over Albers, Padilla, etc?

Station 13
06-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Exactly. Also Aceves much more valuable as a long man. Bailey also back soon. This should be a better pen than it already is.

Crucis
06-22-2012, 06:39 PM

The question shouldn't be who is or isn't a 7th or 8th inning guy. It should be about who is or isn't pitching well and contributing.

Crucis
06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
You don't want Bard over Albers, Padilla, etc?

My question wasn't who fills what roles. It was who gets cut, DFA'd, sent down to AAA, whatever to make ROOM for Bard on the roster. Why wasn't that question obvious?

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Well sorting through who plays when in the BP is gonna be a lot less disruptive than the "is he a starter or reliever" issue. This club could do with a few less "issues"

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-22-2012, 06:45 PM
My question wasn't who fills what roles. It was who gets cut, DFA'd, sent down to AAA, whatever to make ROOM for Bard on the roster. Why wasn't that question obvious?

I'm glad I'm not sorting it out. The one things i will say though it almost seems an embarassment of riches. We should always have that kinda problem.:)

Crucis
06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm glad I'm not sorting it out. The one things i will say though it almost seems an embarassment of riches. We should always have that kinda problem.:)

True. I don't know if the Sox have any relievers who are a little expendable and have options to send down, as opposed to guys like Bard and Bailey who are really pitchers who really need to be in the pen. I'd hate to see the team have to DFA productive relievers just room for those two. Maybe we'll see a trade in the days ahead, to avoid that scenario.

ccspence8
06-22-2012, 06:53 PM
seemed kind of obvious for him to go back to the pen. I don't see him closing for awhile if at all this year.

Nomar
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM

First of all, Bard is on the 40 man roster. But still, someone would get sent down. Maybe it would be Youk being traded that would open up a spot, even though that would give us one less bench player.

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-22-2012, 06:57 PM
First of all, Bard is on the 40 man roster. But still, someone would get sent down. Maybe it would be Youk being traded that would open up a spot, even though that would give us one less bench player.

finishing up with interleague this weekend will allow us to have one less bench jockeys with the reduced need to hit for the pitcher.

ricomactaco
06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
First of all, I wouldn't bring him back till he earns it. He's pitched like garbage at the AAA level. The guys we have are doing well. If someone steps up and pitches lights out in AAA then give them a shot. Otherwise you gotta earn it

papipapsmanny
06-22-2012, 11:41 PM
glad that ******** project is over, and yes it was stupid from the start

Tragedy
06-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Bring Bard up, let him and Bailey (when healthy) fight for the Closer role, and let Aceves go back to his long reliever spot where he's MUCH more valuable.

Our Bullpen is excellent. Our one truly great gift.

JPBoston
06-23-2012, 03:05 AM
I know I've been negative regarding the players lately... but here's another fun example of it being "Bard's decision". Like he painfully pushes in phrases such as "but I told them for now this is where I want to be, in the bullpen".... There's a lot of "I told them" to Josh Bard, as if he's a guy who's come close to earning that kind of respect.... I'd rather he just shut his mouth an pitch.

goshhhjosh
06-23-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't get why people are in such a rush to bring Bard back up.

Have you taken a look at his Pawtucket stats?

In 6 games:

8.1 IP, 7.56 ERA (yes, I know as a reliever this number can get skewed by a couple of bad outings), 9 hits, 7 Runs, 7 Earned Runs, 1 HR, 2 BB, 12 K's, and a .273 AVG.

He's allowed runs in 4 of his 6 outings. I think I'd personally like to way until there's more consistency out of Bard before wanting him to duke it out for the closer's role. Plus, the Red Sox bullpen has actually improved drastically from the beginning of the year.

I'm all for Bard being a reliever, I just believe it's a little premature to bring him back up to Boston at the moment.

gustofer1
06-23-2012, 02:34 PM
True. I don't know if the Sox have any relievers who are a little expendable and have options to send down, as opposed to guys like Bard and Bailey who are really pitchers who really need to be in the pen. I'd hate to see the team have to DFA productive relievers just room for those two. Maybe we'll see a trade in the days ahead, to avoid that scenario.

What if we could move Daisuke and Aviles to acquire a shortstop? I don't want a rental, but Stephen Drew is probably available. Could be a better long-term solution/bridge than Aviles, although I'm not sure who we'd be "bridging" as Iggy seems to need more than the rest of this year and half a year next year to be ML ready. Or we could keep Aviles and move him to 2b and DL/rest Pedroia as he's clearly not himself. Just an idea, not really gunning for something like this. Do this and move Padilla to the #5, just throwing that out there.

-Lavigne43-
06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
It's a mechanics thing, not starting vs relieving. Hes pitching in the minors as a reliever and has gotten knocked around, I think hes only had one clean outing. With the way the bullpen has been performing, and Bailey returning soon, I think we would have been better off keeping him as a starter in the minors. Other than Mortenson there is no one you want to dump to make room. Our SP depth is terrible right now. All we have is Cook and a bunch of relievers.

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I'll say this....I'd put morales as a starter for now. He has pitched well in both his outings there and we sorta know what we're gonna get when we roll him out.

I'm in the "let Bard get it together before he comes back" camp for now. Even if we were to move Morales to starter I think we can make it till Bailey gets back.

RedSoxtober
06-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Most likely Mortensen moves out. Two very low leverage appearances so far. Doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence from Valentine yet.

Station 13
06-24-2012, 11:05 PM
It is interesting they been using him over 2 inning each time? Extra work to get his mechanics straighten out? Long guy? Doesn't seem to be helping. If he's a reliever, 1 inning and work again the following day. They have not been consistent with that.

Crucis
06-25-2012, 02:36 AM
I'll say this....I'd put morales as a starter for now. He has pitched well in both his outings there and we sorta know what we're gonna get when we roll him out.

I'm in the "let Bard get it together before he comes back" camp for now. Even if we were to move Morales to starter I think we can make it till Bailey gets back.

I imagine that, given his relative success, Morales will stay in the rotation as long as Beckett is on the DL. The real question may be what happens when either Beckett or Buchholz come off the DL ... who stays in the rotation ... Cook or Morales? Personally, I'd favor Morales, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

1_FrozenNetsFan
06-25-2012, 04:33 AM
My guess is it will be the hot pitcher...we'll know when the time is here to make that decision

TragicallyHip
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Took him long enough

This.

More likely than not he just finally figured out that he could make way more money as a solid closer/set-up man than as a back of the rotation starter.

RedSoxtober
06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
The trials of Daniel Bard continued with Triple A Pawtucket. He walked three and threw a wild pitch over 1 2/3 innings against Louisville Sunday, missing badly on several pitchesBoston Globe

RedSoxtober
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
It is interesting they been using him over 2 inning each time? Extra work to get his mechanics straighten out? Long guy? Doesn't seem to be helping. If he's a reliever, 1 inning and work again the following day. They have not been consistent with that.

Meh. I think working 2 innings every other day is fine. I don't think it's as much to prep him as a long reliever as it is to give him more repetitions with relatively normal rest in between.

JPBoston
07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Bard's really struggling in AAA.... just heard on 98.5 that he walked four in one inning last night, and his ERA is even worse then when he was with the big club.

TragicallyHip
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Nothing like taking a big time stopper and ruining him by trying to make him into a starter after that boat had already sailed.

grandsalami
07-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Nothing like taking a big time stopper and ruining him by trying to make him into a starter after that boat had already sailed.

You DO KNOW that Bard was the one who came to the sox with the idea right? but i know it's the MO to always blame the FO

boodgyman5220
07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
i agree. Should have plugged him into the closers role like the plan seemed to be from the get go when he was setting up for papelbon. At this point i just hope he can come back next season and be as effective from the pen as he usually is

TragicallyHip
07-02-2012, 10:40 PM
You DO KNOW that Bard was the one who came to the sox with the idea right? but i know it's the MO to always blame the FO

How could I not know that? That was one of the major plot lines of the offseason.

It is, however, the FO's job to do what's best for the team and manage player expectations.

I was against moving him into a starting capacity when they were discussing it originally and I'm obviously still against it now. I'm sure they wish they could have that one back.

JPBoston
07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
How could I not know that? That was one of the major plot lines of the offseason.

It is, however, the FO's job though to do what's best for the team and manage player expectations.

I was against moving him into a starting capacity when they were discussing it originally and I'm obviously still against it now. I'm sure they wish they could have that one back.

Bingo.

I was against the move as well. And was strongly against people who just assumed if he stunk as a starter, we could just plug him back in deep in the BP.

The story isn't over yet... but obviously, some of these guys are so mentally fragile, you can't keep changing their roles and expect results. And Bard has been an obvious head-case from the start. Hopefully he can turn it around, and soon... the Sox could use his youth and talent.

1_FrozenNetsFan
07-03-2012, 01:08 AM
This thing is ugly. God I hope he somehow recovers mentally...as a RELIEVER!

Station 13
07-03-2012, 01:26 AM
What the heck is he's thinking about as a reliever?

goshhhjosh
07-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Well he had a clean inning last night. No walks and no strikeouts.

His fastball has been topping out at 95 and consistently around 94.

Station 13
07-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Well he had a clean inning last night. No walks and no strikeouts.

His fastball has been topping out at 95 and consistently around 94.

His changeup was around 94 as a reliever.

Him topping at 95 is well below his 'average' of 97.