PDA

View Full Version : Garnett considering options, may retire...

asandhu23
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
MIAMI – He’s only spent five seasons in green and white, but it’s hard to envision Kevin Garnett in another jersey.

He’s become synonymous with the Celtics since the Big 3 was formed and he joined forces with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo to form one of the league’s most formidable units.

So to hear that Garnett is considering all of his options, including playing elsewhere and even potentially retiring, is a bit of a shock. He played so well during the Celtics’ run to the Eastern Conference finals that I can’t see any reason for him to make his 17th season in the league his last.

It’s obvious he has more to give the game, be it in Boston or somewhere else. But Celtics boss Danny Ainge told ESPNBoston.com that Garnett retiring is one of several options being considered:

Despite a strong finish to his 17th season in the league, the 36-year-old Garnett is pondering retirement and needs time to make a decision about his basketball future.

“Kevin and I had a good conversation last week and the conversation was mostly on how he needs time before he makes that decision,” Ainge said during an in-studio appearance Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio WEEI-93.7 FM. “I think we’ll talk within the next week, but I’m not so sure that’s a decision day for him. He may want to wait and see what sort of team we have. I’m not sure.

“I know that he wants to come back. I know he likes Boston, and I know he loves playing for (coach) Doc (Rivers). He loves everything about the team and the city and so forth. I think that his decision will be, ‘Do I really want to play? Or do I not want to play.’ “

If Garnett needs additional time for a decision, it puts Boston in a tough spot with both the NBA draft approaching later this month and cap space tied up in holds for Garnett and Ray Allen when free agency opens in early July.

“It is complicated and the timing is complicated. Juggling all these different scenarios is difficult,” Ainge said. “But the reality is that, on July 1, Kevin Garnett is on our books for $21 million until we either sign him to a new contract, or renounce him, which means we can’t re-sign him. Otherwise, it really limits our cap space.”

Ainge admitted that renouncing Garnett — or any of Boston’s big-name free agents such as Allen, Brandon Bass, or Jeff Green — is unlikely. Ainge hinted that re-signing the team’s own free agents, particularly with a slim pool of available bodies on the open market, might be the team’s best approach this offseason.

With all of those decisions pending in Boston, it might be difficult for the Celtics to make it work without sacrificing another piece for the long-term future.

But the bigger concern here is that Garnett is contemplating calling it a career. That would be a devastating blow to the league to lose era-defining talents like Shaquille O’Neal and Garnett in back-to-back years.

KG has more basketball left in him!

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/06/21/report-garnett-considering-all-options-including-retirement/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Mr_Amaziing
06-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I would like to see him in Minnesota

Pg- Rubio
Sg-?
Sf- Beasley / Williams
Pf- Love
C- Garnett

TheWhiteMamba
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Kg to Miami.

Chalmers
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
KG

StarvingKnick22
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
:facepalm: this was already made a thread. please close

Lakers + Giants
06-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Come to LA now we can trade Pau or Bynum.

daboywonder2002
06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
he may as well retire. he has his ring. i love watching boston play. but its clear that them and miami are on 2 diff levels. even if there was a game 7. just curious though. will garnett go in the hall as a celtic or as a twolf? i know he won ships with boston. but minnesota is where he became a man

popo85
06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
After such a great playoff performance he still has alot of game.

thephoenixson28
06-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Kg and Allen to phx. 2 more years with nash.

Sadds The Gr8
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Hope he doesn't retire. Been one of my fave players since he was in Minny, and he has a lot of game left

Ryan328
06-22-2012, 07:12 PM
I fully expect KG to be back in Boston

amos1er
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Looks like KG is jockeying for the best offer possible $$$ wise.

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
kg retire is he crazy i for one thaught he was done but he proved me wrong dude still has a good 2 years left in him

kingsdelez24
06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
You wonder fans hate Miami HEAT TEAM AND IT'S FANS BECAUSE STUPID THREADS LIKE THIS COMPARING LEBRON TO MICHAEL JORDAN OR SAYING LEBRON WILL BE THE BEST PLAYER ALL TIME IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS GIMMIE ME A BREAK SERIOUSLY. IT IS MOSTLY MIAMI HEAT FANS WHO ARE 16 Years old or younger. HAHA WHAT A JOKE HAVE YOU JOBBERS WATCHED MICHAEL JORDAN PLAY AGAINST THE BAD BOYS IN HIS PRIME. YOU KNOW HOW HE GOT HIT BADLY BY BAD BOYS PISTONS TRUST ME DEREK FISHER FOUL WAS NOT A FRAGANT AND I AM TELLING LEBRON WOULD NOT SURVIVE IN THE 90 ERA. CHARLIE OAKLEY, DENNIS RODMAN, BILL LIAMBEER, ANTHONY MASON AND ETC WOULD OF ATE LEBRON ALIVE PLUS HE HAS NO ****ING HEART.

LEBRON CANNOT HOLD MICHAEL JORDAN JOCKSTRAP

You sound like cousins-evans duo

Losoway
06-24-2012, 02:20 AM
so kg is gonna retire because the celtics cant afford him??

just come to the heat we can use you :)

thekmp211
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
lol. he isn't mulling retirement. it's all about the benjamins. KG needs to do boston right and re-sign on the cheap. i'd understand if he didn't, but it would make me lose some respect for him. dude made his keesh.

also i love how ainge plays the media.

Mr.B
06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
After DWill signs in Dallas both KG and Jason Kidd will sign 1 year deals to play for the Mavs.

justinnum1
06-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Kg to Miami.

Chalmers
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
KG

I think kg hates Miami. Allen will come probably

YoungOne
06-24-2012, 03:32 PM
what else he is supposed to say?