PDA

View Full Version : Players Union Wins Bird Rights Grievance

KNICKS R BACK
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Mike Francesca of WFAN660AM in new york just announced it, and it is circulating on twitter! this means the knicks can retain jeremy lin and novak while still keeping their mid level exception and bi annual exception! therefore they can possibly make some significant moves in free agency to add another couple of key pieces! ill post links to tweets in a minute

justinnum1
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Wow. Huge win for the Knicks.

godolphins
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Huge win for the Knicks (and others) today, as NBPA announces decision that allows NY's Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, Clippers' Chauncey Billups, Portland's JJ Hickson to retain their respective Bird Rights in free agency despite being claimed off waivers. For the Knicks, it allows them to sign Lin to whatever contract necessary without having to use the midlevel exception that can now be used on a different player.

The release...

New York, NY—June 22, 2012-- Arbitrator Kenneth Dam today affirmed the National Basketball Players Association’s position that players claimed off waivers retain their valuable “Bird” and “Early Bird” rights when they become free agents. As a result of the arbitrator’s decision, Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak of the New York Knicks will enter the 2012-13 free agency period with “Early Bird” rights, and Chauncey Billups of the Los Angeles Clippers and J.J. Hickson of the Portland Trailblazers will enter the 2012-13 free agency period with full “Bird” rights. Future players claimed off waivers will likewise benefit from today’s ruling.

“Bird and Early Bird rights are the lynchpin of our Soft Cap system, and we’re pleased that Professor Dam recognized that a player does not forfeit these important rights unless he makes an affirmative decision to sign with a new team as a free agent,” NBPA Executive Director Billy Hunter said. “Players fought hard for a Collective Bargaining Agreement that allows maximum flexibility for free agent players while also permitting teams to retain their core free agents, and today’s decision affirms both of these important principles.”
http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/c4a28b58-b90b-4a1a-ae90-2c290b0ee9b3/?source=twitter

KNICKS R BACK
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
thanx for posting that link godolphins

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 03:11 PM
There is a god~

KNICKS R BACK
06-22-2012, 03:12 PM
so who do you guys think the knicks land with the Mid-Level-Exception and the bi-annual excpetion respectively? Me personally im hoping for Steve Nash with the MLE and Kenyon Martin with the Bi-Annual

nyfinest4life
06-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Woww hugeee news for the knicks. the knicks could now sign lil n nivak without it counting against the Cap n they will still had the midlevel exception plus a couple other exceptions. Possibly Steve Nash?? such great news for the knicks. Amazing day for the knicks

TylerSL
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
wow, happy for the Knicks.

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
i wonder if allen will come, I also would love to keep fields!

utl768
06-22-2012, 03:17 PM
huge break for the knicks

theyll probably land ray allen now

KNICKS R BACK
06-22-2012, 03:17 PM
yeah i love landry fields, new york fans need to be more patient with him...he does all the little things that dont show up on the statsheet...granted he needs to get his jumper back but hes a very solid role player

godolphins
06-22-2012, 03:18 PM
so who do you guys think the knicks land with the Mid-Level-Exception and the bi-annual excpetion respectively? Me personally im hoping for Steve Nash with the MLE and Kenyon Martin with the Bi-Annual

^^You're welcome

Do you guys qualify for the Bi-annual exception?

I can see you guys getting Ray Allen for the MLE. I have a feeling that Nash will re-sign with the Suns.

ManRam
06-22-2012, 03:18 PM
How can they make significant moves in FA? After they re-sign those two they'll be way over the cap.

All they'll have is the tax-payer MLE...which is worth like 3 million bucks...

llemon
06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
How can they make significant moves in FA? After they re-sign those two they'll be way over the cap.

Not if they use the MLE first.

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM

I think they get the full MLE, and the bi. I think allen will come and we can get a big with the bi

NYsFinest
06-22-2012, 03:22 PM

Use MLE and then sign Novak and Lin once over the cap. This is unbelievable news for the Knicks. Had they lost, they would have lost Novak and had only vet mins to spend after resigning Lin. Now they have an MLE and Bi to spend on a solid rotation players (Allen?), then get to go over the cap for Lin and Novak.

$KnicksAndKobe$
06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Great news for the Knicks and the East. Hopefully this means the Heat will get some sort of challenge in the Eastern conference.

ManRam
06-22-2012, 03:24 PM

OK. Yeah...I guess that's true.

It will be interesting to see what that $5M will get them...

godolphins
06-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Chris Mannix

NBA announces it will appeal the arbitration ruling in the Jeremy Lin/Steve Novak case.

nyfinest4life
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Lin n Novak

ManRam
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
It's good that the Knicks get Lin and Novak back (assuming they actually do). Now wait for them to use the MLE to keep JR Smith!

Another loss for the league. I'm glad they didn't stick to their guns before the season, because we got a season, but so much of what Stern and many of the owners wanted, they didn't get. Including this. I kinda wish they did get more. There really was nothing done to help "competitive balance" out.

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
It's good that the Knicks get Lin and Novak back (assuming they actually do). Now wait for them to use the MLE to keep JR Smith!

:cry: I like jr and think he will be good but Hopefully he either takes his slight raise or leaves I dont want him for the MLE

ElFuturoDeESPN
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Big news for the Blazers too, potentially.

JJ Hickson :drool:

thephoenixson28
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
How does this work, with a salary cap.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT
Breaking: NBA intends to appeal arbitrator's ruling in Lin/bird rights case. This isn't over yet.

97NYer
06-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Knicks are barely over the cap, nowhere near the luxury tax. We have the full MLE and the bi-annual. I think with this happening that JR will most likely now opt out and sign for the Mid Level, leaving us with the bi-annual and maybe Lamar Odom.

Slug3
06-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Question. I see some are saying they will sign players with the MLE first and then sign Novak and Lin, but dont they still count towards the cap unless they renounce them or something like that? I remember reading that $21 million would still count towards KG on Boston unless they resign him for lower or renounce his rights. If this is different please let me know cause I want to know as well.

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
everybody is now confusing me could someone explain the whole sitatuion Please

llemon
06-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Knicks are barely over the cap, nowhere near the luxury tax. We have the full MLE and the bi-annual. I think with this happening that JR will most likely now opt out and sign for the Mid Level, leaving us with the bi-annual and maybe Lamar Odom.

If Novak & Lin get offer sheets right out of the gate, there could be problems with the other exceptions.

Giraffes Rule
06-22-2012, 03:43 PM

Don't you have to exercise bird rights before using the MLE or signing other free agents?

D12 fan
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
everybody is now confusing me could someone explain the whole sitatuion Please

It's the New York Knicks,that franchise has always been confusing.:p

NYKnicksAllDay
This is good news for the Clippers, too. It gives Billups his bird rights, too.

flatbush knicks
:clap::hi5::cheers::dance::dance::win::clap:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Don't you have to exercise bird rights before using the MLE or signing other free agents?

Yeah I thought if you sign a player who you didn't have bird rights to, all players that you have Bird rights to goes away.

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Reminds me of the situation with dwight :D

D12 fan
06-22-2012, 03:53 PM
:clap::hi5::cheers::dance::dance::win::clap:

This guy is back.

llemon
06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah I thought if you sign a player who you didn't have bird rights to, all players that you have Bird rights to goes away.

So if Nets sign a FA, they lose Bird Rights to Deron, Crash & Lopez?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
So if Nets sign a FA, they lose Bird Rights to Deron, Crash & Lopez?

Well, if they're over the cap from my understanding then yes they are:shrug: Should have been more specific.

NYSPORTSALLDAY
06-22-2012, 04:13 PM

Ha I can't argue with this

NYman15
06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Great news for the Knicks.

From what I understand, the whole issue with the mini MLE vs the full MLE is if the Knicks re-sign Novak and Lin and then use the full MLE they'd possibly be forced into a hard cap situation where for the next year they'd pretty much be stuck with the team they have and not be able to make many moves while if they use the mini MLE it would give the Knicks some more flexibility to work with. That's my understanding of it.

colinskik
06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Who out there wants to explain the ramifications of this in clear English? (Must show your work.)

llemon
06-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, if they're over the cap from my understanding then yes they are:shrug: Should have been more specific.

It is my understanding that until Lin & Novak sign contracts, they are only capholds on the Knicks capspace. All Bird Rights allow a team to go over the cap to sign them.

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 04:23 PM
So wait, the knicks can now go out and sign Steve nash for the MLE, then Sign ray allen to the bi annual, then go back to lin and novak and sign them for whatever do to the bird rights?

llemon
06-22-2012, 04:24 PM
So wait, the knicks can now go out and sign Steve nash for the MLE, then Sign ray allen to the bi annual, then go back to lin and novak and sign them for whatever do to the bird rights?

I believe so

smood999
06-22-2012, 04:26 PM
As of July 1 the Knicks will be well under the luxury tax. That is why they have the full MLE and not the 3ME...Larry Coon was tweeting however that the Knicks may opt to use only 3 mil of the full MLE to avoid being stuck under the hard cap rules for the season...which would give them very little wiggle room as far as trades etc.

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
This guy is back.

you know what not even you the biggest troll on psd can bother me today forget d12 now the knicks can go after nash and have the best pg tandem in the league :clap::dance: go knicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meloman1592
06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
I think we get ONE of nash, odom or allen. Not more than one..let's be real now

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
im good with nash and maybe crawford or another good sg cuz shump is out til midseason next year

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Good luck with that seeing that...

However, as ESPN salary cap guru Larry Coon pointed out on twitter, donít look for the Knicks to use their entire $5 million mid-level exception to go after these free agents. If the Knicks re-sign Lin then go over $3 million (the mini mid-level) for a free agent they will trigger a $74 million hard salary cap on themselves that they cannot exceed for any reason. Thatís the new rules in this CBA (you get the cap when you use a non-taxpayer exception and it makes you a tax payer). Trigger that hard cap and the Knicks cannot even bring in a player on a veteran minimum deal if it takes them over te $. New York would want no part of that scenario that strips them of their flexibility to adjust the roster in season, so look for them to try to lure a free agent with $3 million.

Also Ray would easily get more than the BLE or even the MLE from other teams.

jesusr77
06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
So now the NBA will appeal? How long will that take?

xxplayerxx23
06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Good luck with that seeing that...

Also Ray would easily get more than the BLE or even the MLE from other teams.

It was just an example I would have a heartattack if that happened lol

RLundi
06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Double post.

RLundi
06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
It's not set in stone by any means. The NBA will appeal, but I hope they don't win. It'd be awesome to see the Knicks a powerhouse again.

If Stat can at least provide 18 and 8, him along with Melo, Nash and Ray Ray for example would be :drool:

waveycrockett
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I think we get ONE of nash, odom or allen. Not more than one..let's be real now

Nash isn't going to be playing for $3 Million next season. That Is what the Knicks have to offer.

Kashmir13579
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Because Lin and Novak won't count against the cap i believe.

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
It's not set in stone by any means. The NBA will appeal, but I hope they don't win. It'd be awesome to see the Knicks a powerhouse again.

If Stat can at least provide 18 and 8, him along with Melo, Nash and Ray Ray for example would be :drool:
thats what he averaged this year:facepalm:

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 05:21 PM
lmao the knicks get good news and haters still hate ther are moves we can make to free up the extra money we need to sign nash and resign our own players

waveycrockett
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
thats what he averaged this year:facepalm:

He is declining every year. How is it not realistic he could average less?

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 05:23 PM
He is declining every year. How is it not realistic he could average less?
yea you right son with nash feeding him the ball his numbers will go down:facepalm:

llemon
06-22-2012, 05:27 PM
lmao the knicks get good news and haters still hate ther are moves we can make to free up the extra money we need to sign nash and resign our own players

Of course Knick haters will hate more if Knicks get good news.

That's only logical.

waveycrockett
06-22-2012, 05:28 PM
yea you right son with nash feeding him the ball his numbers will go down:facepalm:

That a leap. Obviously if Nash decides to take a HUGE paycut then yeah...

Punk
06-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Great news for us, bad news for me considering I wanted Billups back.

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 05:33 PM
That a leap. Obviously if Nash decides to take a HUGE paycut then yeah...
huge paycut what are you talking about nobody that is a contender can offer him more then the full mle:facepalm: this should be good news for you nets fans it kinda takes d12 coming to the knicks out of the picture why so bitter today:D

Punk
06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
huge paycut what are you talking about nobody that is a contender can offer him more then the full mle:facepalm: this should be good news for you nets fans it kinda takes d12 coming to the knicks out of the picture why so bitter today:D

The Division is pretty much ours now.
So, it's a bitter day for Nets, Sixers Nd Raptor fans.

I do still would like to see a Knicks/Nets rivalry within the Atlantic division.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Great news for the Knicks, and all the other teams. Mostly the Knicks though haha. I'm not betting the house on the Knicks signing Nash though. Regardless, to continue getting better and trying to compete with the Heat and the Bulls the Knicks really needed to win this case.

EastNYLos
06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
this is really good news for us!

ChiSportsDaily
06-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know, I've been trying to find anything in the new CBA that justifies this. Don't count out the NBA yet:

32. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?

The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (or two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:

When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team has full Bird rights following the third season.

The first season of the three-year tenure doesn't have to be a full season. If a player signs midseason in year one, then plays for two additional full seasons, his team will have full Bird rights following the third season.

The player must complete his contract immediately prior to becoming a free agent, which essentially means he can't have been waived. If he signs a series of contracts, then this only applies to the last contract. If a team signs a player and waives him after one game, signs and waives him after one game again the next year, and in the third year signs him and keeps him the entire season (assuming he didn't sign elsewhere during those three seasons), then they will have full Bird rights following the third season.

The same is true for Early Bird rights. For example John Lucas III signed a one-year contract with the Chicago Bulls for 2010-11, but waived him in October, 2010. They signed him again to a non-guaranteed contract in November 2010, but waived him again in January 2011 (just before the leaugewide contract guarantee date). They signed him again in March 2011 to a two-year contract (with a team option for 2011-12, which the Bulls picked-up). Despite having three contracts and being waived twice over a two-year period, the Bulls have Early Bird rights to Lucas in 2012.

Once Bird rights are established, they don't go away unless the player is renounced or signs with another NBA team. This means teams retain Bird rights to many players who have long since retired, and could still use those Bird rights to re-sign such a player if that player attempts a comeback (but not for a sign-and-trade transaction -- see question number 99 for details).

If the player is out of the NBA for at least one season before re-signing, the clock resets when he re-signs with his prior team. This is because Bird rights are established on the basis of the immediately preceding three (or two) seasons when a player becomes a free agent. For example, if a team had Larry Bird rights to a free agent in 2011 and that player signed overseas for 2011-12, then the team still has full Bird rights if the player returns to the NBA in 2012 (because when the player became a free agent in 2012 they had full Bird rights, and those rights didn't go away when the player signed outside the NBA). However, if that player signs a one-year contract with his previous NBA team for 2012-13 then the clock resets, and the team will have only Non-Bird rights in 2013 -- because the player becomes a free agent again in 2013, so his Bird status is re-evaluated on the basis of the 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons. Since the player did not play for the team in 2011-12, the one-year version of Bird rights (non-Bird) is awarded.

The clock resets when the player signs with a different NBA team as a free agent. An interesting case occurred in the 2008-09 season with Antonio McDyess, who had played exclusively for the Pistons since the 2004-05 season. In 2008-09 the Pistons traded him to the Nuggets, the Nuggets waived him, and he re-signed with the Pistons. Even though he only signed contracts with the Pistons and he completed his last contract without being waived, his Bird clock reset when he re-signed with the Pistons because he changed teams as a free agent.

If a player is waived and is claimed by another team before he clears waivers, then his Bird clock resets. This includes players waived and later claimed through the Amnesty provision (see question number 67).

If a player is selected in an expansion draft, then his Bird clock resets.
10-Day contracts (see question number 77) don't count toward Bird rights.

If a team renounces a player (see question number 40), they can't use the Bird exception to re-sign him for one year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32

I don't know, maybe the actual text, which I can't find, has a loophole that's not discussed.

waveycrockett
06-22-2012, 05:56 PM

ughh Suns, his home for the last decade, will offer him whatever he wants

Dallas, 2011 champions, can offer him whatever he wants

Pacers, the 4th best team in the East last year, can offer him whatever he wants

The HEAT, can offer him whatever the Knicks can.

Lets stop this whole Nash to the Knicks talk. It was viable when D'Antoni was there but they scrapped that system for Melo-ball. He will not play there for $3 Million.

GiantsSwaGG
06-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Nets won't get D Will and crash so we won't need Nash to thrash tne Nets!

flatbush knicks
06-22-2012, 06:04 PM
ughh Suns, his home for the last decade, will offer him whatever he wants

Dallas, 2011 champions, can offer him whatever he wants

Pacers, the 4th best team in the East last year, can offer him whatever he wants

The HEAT, can offer him whatever the Knicks can.

Lets stop this whole Nash to the Knicks talk. It was viable when D'Antoni was there but they scrapped that system for Melo-ball. He will not play there for $3 Million.

i forgot about the mavs but the knicks will have the full mle to sign nash if we don't resign novak the pacers are a possibility i don't see him going to mia espeacially cuz they can only offer him about 3 mill or whatever we can also trade a couple of players for a 2nd rounder to free up the extra money needed to pay nash the full mle by no means is it a lock but because of today we are definetly the favorites to land him now also the mavs suck after they lost chandler and are not any closer to a championship then my knicks if he wanted the suns he would of already resigned he's gone

ThunderZubb
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
You wonder fans hate Miami HEAT TEAM AND IT'S FANS BECAUSE STUPID THREADS LIKE THIS COMPARING LEBRON TO MICHAEL JORDAN OR SAYING LEBRON WILL BE THE BEST PLAYER ALL TIME IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS GIMMIE ME A BREAK SERIOUSLY. IT IS MOSTLY MIAMI HEAT FANS WHO ARE 16 Years old or younger. HAHA WHAT A JOKE HAVE YOU JOBBERS WATCHED MICHAEL JORDAN PLAY AGAINST THE BAD BOYS IN HIS PRIME. YOU KNOW HOW HE GOT HIT BADLY BY BAD BOYS PISTONS TRUST ME DEREK FISHER FOUL WAS NOT A FRAGANT AND I AM TELLING LEBRON WOULD NOT SURVIVE IN THE 90 ERA. CHARLIE OAKLEY, DENNIS RODMAN, BILL LIAMBEER, ANTHONY MASON AND ETC WOULD OF ATE LEBRON ALIVE PLUS HE HAS NO ****ING HEART.

LEBRON CANNOT HOLD MICHAEL JORDAN JOCKSTRAP

WAYNEBO
06-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Great news for my Knicks! BTW, to the couple of Heat fans in this thread, congratulations on your team being the Champs!!! Great series and happy to see Lebron get his ring...Hoping he only gets one though ;)