PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays 2010 Draft - The Anti-Moneyball Draft

craigerlee
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
For as long as baseball is played, scouted and debated, they will be known as the Moneyball draft class: Nick Swisher, Joe Blanton, John McCurdy, Ben Fritz, Jeremy Brown, Steve Obenchain and Mark Teahen.

SHOW ME THE 'MONEYBALL'
Find out what's become of the major players and executives portrayed in Hollywood's latest baseball movie.
The Oakland As had seven of the first 39 picks in the 2002 amateur draft; the cache of extra selections resulted from the departures of free agents the franchise could not afford. The strategy the As used to select the seven players out with the scouts, in with the stats was immortalized in Michael Lewis bestselling book and the motion picture starring Brad Pitt.

The revolutionary draft occurred 10 years ago this month.

History has judged it a failure. And the Toronto Blue Jays quietly took note.

Fox Sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/toronto-blue-jays-2010-draft-class-anti-moneyball-approach-062312)

It seems Morosi really likes writing about the Blue Jays, and its not a bad article aside from the fact its hard to call this the Anti-Moneyball draft when we drafted Deck Mcguire who could probably stand in as the poster child for Moneyball drafting. One thing I thought that was interesting is how much the Jays scouts apparently invest in getting to know the player. They cited how the Jays scout really kept in touch with Syndergaard.

Feel free to move this to another thread mods if you feel its not thread worthy.

lexecutioner
06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
great read! really excited on how AA and friends restock our farm with lots of potentials.

jaysforever
06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Morosi can hardly put all this on the 2010 draft. This was a transitional year and AA's first draft. It takes time to build the kind of scouting dept AA wants, which is a full 180 degree turn from what Ricciardi was doing. I think you'll need to look at a series of drafts. Even the 2011 draft was approached differently than the 2010 per AA.

I think you'll see a ton of high ceiling players graduate to the big leagues over the next 10 years from AA's drafts, and that will be the proof of the approach.

lexecutioner
06-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I think this years draft was by far the best draft ive seen from the Jays. If they were able to formally sign Stroman and Dejong (if im not mistaken are the only 2 out of top 10 pick that hasnt sign) this will be an insanely great draft. No one see Alford signing. Nay and Smoral are big question marks. The way they plan when to draft high and when to draft scrubs is genius. Not saying only the Jays did it. But still nice to have that feeling that your team knows what they are doing.

Dol-Fan
06-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Good read, thanks. The last two drafts have been very similar to the 2010 draft. Wonder what the movie will be called...

Twitchy
06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
It's a pretty terrible read because it shows Morosi still has no idea what Moneyball is.

Hasn't AA said that getting one major league guy in a draft a success? The A's got two pretty solid players in Blanton/Swisher and Morosi just dismisses it like it's nothing.

It's an interesting strategy the Jays are using but to call it an anti-Moneyball strategy is pretty stupid. If anything, adding more scouts is a Moneyball strategy, because the Jays are using their resources (scouts) in a way to give them a competitive advantage. And that's all Moneyball really is - not college players, not obp. It's using your resources in the most efficient way to take advantage of something that's undervalued.

Dol-Fan
06-23-2012, 10:49 AM
It's a pretty terrible read because it shows Morosi still has no idea what Moneyball is.

Hasn't AA said that getting one major league guy in a draft a success? The A's got two pretty solid players in Blanton/Swisher and Morosi just dismisses it like it's nothing.

Well when you have 7 picks in the top 39, expectations are raised a bit.

It's an interesting strategy the Jays are using but to call it an anti-Moneyball strategy is pretty stupid. If anything, adding more scouts is a Moneyball strategy, because the Jays are using their resources (scouts) in a way to give them a competitive advantage. And that's all Moneyball really is - not college players, not obp. It's using your resources in the most efficient way to take advantage of something that's undervalued.

True, and I hope that Morosi knows the true meaning of Moneyball, but it wouldn't have been a catchy title to proclaim that the Jays are the "anti-Moneyball as the strategy was used by Billy Beane in the late 90s and early 00s".

I don't think Morosi's oversimplification makes this a bad piece. He still includes some neat information about the Jays' scouting efforts that I didn't know too much about before (i.e., how personal they were with Sanchez and Syndergaard, in particular)

Billyen
06-23-2012, 11:02 AM

I normally don't like to agree with Twitchy but, he's right here. Moneyball is not about HS players or OPB but, whatever you can do better with less.

Even though I strongly feel OBP is the secret ingredient in any winning team. The last Jay's teams to practice this won 2 WS.

alistar
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM

One above average major league player. You can argue Swisher is that, I dont know about Blanton