PDA

View Full Version : Did Losing Game 2 at Home break the Thunder's Mojo?

JordansBulls
06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Did Losing Game 2 at Home break the Thunder's Mojo? They didn't seem to recover from the home loss. In all the other series they managed to come back in the home games and pull off the victory and why they were up 2-0 in the first 2 rounds or tied the series up vs SA. But in this series once they lost at home, they seemed different.

basketfan4life
06-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Again, i told you people before the series started.

my only tought about this series is, if OKC wins both of the first 2 games it's OKC, if not, the series ends in Miami with Miami winning it all. After the first 2 games, i think it's over.

MiamiWadeCounty
06-22-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't think so. If Westbrook, Harden, and Sefolosha made open threes at the end of games 3 and 4 they could have forced overtime.

Pens_fan_21
06-22-2012, 10:58 AM
I think losing 4 in a row broke the Thunder's Mojo - better team won - and no, I don't think it was b/c of experience, I think it was because the Heat were just that much better

Chronz
06-22-2012, 08:27 PM
No, if a team beats you 4 in a row, you never stood a chance to begin with. Especially if you get decimated the final game.

amos1er
06-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Again, i told you people before the series started.

Great prediction!!! We know its at least 50% true, the other 50% is kind of a what if scenario, we would have to go back in time and force the ref to actually call the foul on Lebron at the end of the game and hope KD hits both freethows. Would be interesting to see though.

JC_
06-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I actually do think lack of experience was their downfall. They definately had the talent to win but they just pretty much choked as a team. Knowing what they know now, i'm sure they'll be less likely to slack off on defense during these kind of moments in the future. Miami recognized they were in the finals and played their hearts out and that was the difference.

amos1er
06-22-2012, 08:40 PM
No, if a team beats you 4 in a row, you never stood a chance to begin with. Especially if you get decimated the final game.

So then you don't attribute at least in some part of OKC getting beat 4 in a row to the 2,3,2 format? Surely the regular 2,2,1,1,1 format could have possibly had a different result. Not to say that OKC would have won the series, but they might not have lost 4 in a row as they had won their past 20 straight at home before Miami beat them in game 2. Surely a stats guy like you has to acknowledge that OKC would have lasted longer than 5 games given a different format.

Also, do you believe that momentum shifts are a driving cause of whether or not teams win or lose a series? Accounting for statistical probability alone, the result might have been much different had the Thunder won game 2. I'd say that their odds of winning the series might be a bit better than "never stood a chance" with games one and two under their belt. They would have at least had to have been at worst 60/40 to win it all which is better than no chance statistically speaking of course. Especially given their near flawless home record.

JC_
06-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Great prediction!!! We know its at least 50% true, the other 50% is kind of a what if scenario, we would have to go back in time and force the ref to actually call the foul on Lebron at the end of the game and hope KD hits both freethows. Would be interesting to see though.

If they had blown that whistle early to call a non-shooting foul, Durant probably would have jumped and hit the shot and then the free throw they would have given him to win the game.

amos1er
06-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I actually do think lack of experience was their downfall. They definately had the talent to win but they just pretty much choked as a team. Knowing what they know now, i'm sure they'll be less likely to slack off on defense during these kind of moments in the future. Miami recognized they were in the finals and played their hearts out and that was the difference.

Agreed.

A good amount calls going in Miami's favor might have helped as well, but in the long run, OKC's mental mistakes were to blame for the majority of their loss in 5 games.

They have to learn how to play through bad calls on the road. Seems the more experienced veteran teams a better at doing this. Also, they have to learn the importance of holding home court advantage. Especially in the 2,3,2 format. They can't come out in game 2 of the finals and shoot 1/14 to start a game and let Battier hit open 3 after open 3.

NBA_Starter
06-22-2012, 08:49 PM
I think throwing their best shot at the Heat in Game 4 and still losing was the biggest blow to their mental psyche.

Chronz
06-22-2012, 08:52 PM
So then you don't attribute at least in some part of OKC getting beat 4 in a row to the 2,3,2 format? Surely the regular 2,2,1,1,1 format could have possibly had a different result. Not to say that OKC would have won the series, but they might not have lost 4 in a row as they had won their past 20 straight at home before Miami beat them in game 2. Surely a stats guy like you has to acknowledge that OKC would have lasted longer than 5 games given a different format.

Also, do you believe that momentum shifts are a driving cause of whether or not teams win or lose a series? Accounting for statistical probability alone, the result might have been much different had the Thunder won game 2. I'd say that their odds of winning the series might be a bit better than "never stood a chance" with games one and two under their belt. They would have at least had to have been at worst 60/40 to win it all which is better than no chance statistically speaking of course. Especially given their near flawless home record.
Nah 2-3-2 format favors the team with HCA IMO. Because the only way the lower seeded team can "protect HomeCourt" is if they end a series in 5. Its ridiculously harder to win 3 games in a row much less 4.

amos1er
06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Nah 2-3-2 format favors the team with HCA IMO. Because the only way the lower seeded team can "protect HomeCourt" is if they end a series in 5. Its ridiculously harder to win 3 games in a row much less 4.

Sure I agree with that, but this the OP asked if losing game 2 at home broke the Thunder's mojo or not. In essence, he saying that if they had won game 2, they might have performed better in the middle 3 games of the series. You're saying that the fact that the Thunder lost 4 in a row means that they never stood a chance. I disagree with that statement and feel that they did stand a hell of a chance and I do believe that the Vegas odds on the series would justify that claim. They were extremely close to winning game 2 and if they had, they would have been favorites to win the series going forward. Again, that to me sounds like their odds of winning were better than "never stood a chance".

ChitownBears22
06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
I think being the younger team killed OKC. It was a good learning experience for them and Brooks. They will be back again, not sure how big the window is, but they should be back.

Chronz
06-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Sure I agree with that, but this the OP asked if losing game 2 at home broke the Thunder's mojo or not. In essence, he saying that if they had won game 2, they might have performed better in the middle 3 games of the series. You're saying that the fact that the Thunder lost 4 in a row means that they never stood a chance. I disagree with that statement and feel that they did stand a hell of a chance and I do believe that the Vegas odds on the series would justify that claim. They were extremely close to winning game 2 and if they had, they would have been favorites to win the series going forward. Again, that to me sounds like their odds of winning were better than "never stood a chance".
I stand by my initial statement, that the 2-3-2 format helped them doesnt make them worthy of that doubt.

Arch Stanton
06-23-2012, 04:33 AM

I agree but didn't OKC beat the Spurs 4 in a row after the Spurs won 20 in a row.

koreancabbage
06-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree but didn't OKC beat the Spurs 4 in a row after the Spurs won 20 in a row.

against the same opponent i guess.

but yea, after that comeback by OKC when the Spurs were winning by 20- that broke their spirit lol

4 games nonetheless. OKC > Spurs

ldawg
06-23-2012, 08:15 AM
OKC is a young team. To me it seem like after they won game one some higher up power got scared they would beat Miami. Bad calls started in game two and three and it took the wind out their sail being a young team. Its a repeat of the 2006 finals Miami vs Dallas. Dirk was man handled and Wade made a living at the strike. The nba is rigged on that level its more to it than the eye sees. Politics, gambling and money. Its a star league and Lebron is the bigger star and the refs called it that way.

JordansBulls
06-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I agree with Chronz that the team with HCA is more at an advantage in the 2-3-2 format. No team I can remember has ever won in the finals without winning at least 1 game on the road.

CHILL20
06-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Lots of things caused them to lose this series and I'll tell you this...it had little to do with Miami shutting them down. Seriously now, I've never seen a team drop off like that, they went from playing at a championship caliber level to back-door sweep the Spurs...to playing like they never touched a basketball before. Not only that, but they played like they never had a practice with each other. Horrible offense, horrible passing, looking lost on the court, constant one on one basket ball. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DEFENSE, WOW. They were playing defense like they were the Charlotte Bobcats out there, constantly leaving three-point shooters open ALL night. I think that's the only thing they did consistently. And it was consistently BAD with all kinds of mental mistakes, silly turn-overs and errors all over the place.

Terrible coaching, virtually no adjustments were made. Mark Cuban, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless were talking about this on Sports Center yesterday. Miami realized this and took full advantage of it. They made the simplest of plays and took what the defense gave them..and the defense gave them EVERYTHING. Seriously, Miami must have been in the locker-room laughing at half-time thinking "wow these guys are playing like garbage, they keep letting us do the same things". Miami didn't even play at a championship level to win this, they just had to play good basketball and let the Thunder kill themselves.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli must have been at home watching this getting wasted off their *** screaming to the ceiling "How did we let this terrible team beat us!!??" They did not deserve to be in the finals performing like this. If they were going to play like this they might as well had just gotten stern to give them Lebron's ring so they could take it to a gift-shop and get it wrapped for him. Personally bring it to him and say "Is there anything else you would like King?" That's basically what they did anyway.

Sorry for the long rant, but that was just some horrible basketball to say you're in the finals. I haven't seen a finals series this bad since the Magic played the Lakers in '09.

Oh and I didn't want to go on too much about the officiating, but as the poster above me pointed out...whatever OKC DID do right the refs made sure to suck the life out of them at every turn. Especially in that close-out game. Wow.

Glen20
06-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Lots of things caused them to lose this series and I'll tell you this...it had little to do with Miami shutting them down. Seriously now, I've never seen a team drop off like that, they went from playing at a championship caliber level to back-door sweep the Spurs...to playing like they never touched a basketball before. Not only that, but they played like they never had a practice with each other. Horrible offense, horrible passing, looking lost on the court, constant one on one basket ball. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DEFENSE, WOW. They were playing defense like they were the Charlotte Bobcats out there, constantly leaving three-point shooters open ALL night. I think that's the only thing they did consistently. And it was consistently BAD with all kinds of mental mistakes, silly turn-overs and errors all over the place.

Terrible coaching, virtually no adjustments were made. Mark Cuban, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless were talking about this on Sports Center yesterday. Miami realized this and took full advantage of it. They made the simplest of plays and took what the defense gave them..and the defense gave them EVERYTHING. Seriously, Miami must have been in the locker-room laughing at half-time thinking "wow these guys are playing like garbage, they keep letting us do the same things". Miami didn't even play at a championship level to win this, they just had to play good basketball and let the Thunder kill themselves.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli must have been at home watching this getting wasted off their *** screaming to the ceiling "How did we let this terrible team beat us!!??" They did not deserve to be in the finals performing like this. If they were going to play like this they might as well had just gotten stern to give them Lebron's ring so they could take it to a gift-shop and get it wrapped for him. Personally bring it to him and say "Is there anything else you would like King?" That's basically what they did anyway.

Sorry for the long rant, but that was just some horrible basketball to say you're in the finals. I haven't seen a finals series this bad since the Magic played the Lakers in '09.

Oh and I didn't want to go on too much about the officiating, but as the poster above me pointed out...whatever OKC DID do right the refs made sure to suck the life out of them at every turn. Especially in that close-out game. Wow.

its called inexperience. Sort of reminds me of the Heat last year.

sweet-d
06-23-2012, 10:13 AM
It's also a head coach who doesn't deserve to have his contract renewed. He played Perkins injured when it was apparent that he couldn't play any more. Perkins sucked on both ends of the court this past series and it was obvious the Thunder didn't need him Why couldn't Ibaka start at Center or even play Nazr at center. He actually refused to make any adjustment what kind of idiot does crap like that. Michael Jordan could be a better coach than Scott Brooks.