PDA

View Full Version : How can we keep Mike Miller?

dnewguy
06-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Last play-offs he showed up even while he was injured, this year, he did the same thing. If we can find a way to keep miller, Battier and cut Curry/Howard/Pittman and get a C...i'll be all for it but it looks like we'll have to cut Mike Miller. :mad:

Mambo Kings
06-22-2012, 02:40 AM
Mike Miller is going to retire. He has been dropping hints for a while and all but confirmed it during the press conference tonight. His body is broken down and he can't play at the level required by full seasons. Tonight, he talked a lot about "doing what's right for the organization" etc. and "not being a liability". And tonight's championship seals the deal. He had the best game of his life, in a closeout to win the championship, and retiring on this performance ensures he's always remembered as a critical piece of the puzzle. The guy could not ask for a better sendoff.

Jemikz9Clutch
06-22-2012, 02:58 AM
Mike Miller is going to retire. He has been dropping hints for a while and all but confirmed it during the press conference tonight. His body is broken down and he can't play at the level required by full seasons. Tonight, he talked a lot about "doing what's right for the organization" etc. and "not being a liability". And tonight's championship seals the deal. He had the best game of his life, in a closeout to win the championship, and retiring on this performance ensures he's always remembered as a critical piece of the puzzle. The guy could not ask for a better sendoff.

sad to see that happen if it does happen. you dont hear from me saying trade him or other heat players in bad games, so seeing one of our players go (buyout/trade/retire) was tough for me. waiving eddie house was tough for me. so if he goes, :cry:. i like him to try to go to the doctors first and see what happens. but if he does retire, thanks for using his talents to help us win the title. his 23 points will always be remembered like UD's 27 points at game 6 '06 finals. like micky arison said, he has the world's greatest timing.

AllBall
06-22-2012, 03:04 AM

I came in here to say the same. He pretty much said we better win it because he didn't think his body could be put through another year. He'd go out on top shooting lights out, fitting way to end his career.

JC_
06-22-2012, 03:07 AM
I came in here to say the same. He pretty much said we better win it because he didn't think his body could be put through another year. He'd go out on top shooting lights out, fitting way to end his career.

Yep. He said he's going to get all the tests done to see what exactly is wrong but it doesn't seem very promising. What a game from him tonight.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Mike Miller played his heart out.
What a performance.
hopefully his doctors clear him and he can be healthy..
if not, i seriously love this dude.

noone in the nba has a prettier stroke that MM.
Draining 3's left right and center.

Thank You for your time with the HEAt, MM.

Lazaro305201
06-22-2012, 03:37 AM
A shame MM couldn't produce like we'd envisioned for all two years. With that said, if he does retire, we need to make a hard push after Ray-Ray, Nash, or Jamal Crawford.

MadBomber
06-22-2012, 03:55 AM
He should retire. He played a remarkable game and should go out as a champion! Just watching him play makes me feel old.

Master Mind
06-22-2012, 05:05 AM
And his replacement will be....(drum roll please) Ray Allen.

Love Miller's heart, way to go out in style. (if he does decides to hang em up)

Jemikz9Clutch
06-22-2012, 05:24 AM
we're gonna miss his hustle plays and surprisingly-out-of-nowhere rebounding skills.

Mr. Baller
06-22-2012, 07:25 AM
I think he retires, man played his heart out every time he stepped on the floor. Glad he came up big last night

theheatles
06-22-2012, 07:48 AM
pittman is going no where for 3 years, he's the pet project of the heat

Juwan howard will prob retire

Curry can go

Mike Miller can stay but if he retires we need to put something together to get javale mcgee

Itchy Buchholz
06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Supposing Mike Miller should retire, what would this do for our books? How much salary cap space would this free up? And a better question is, what is our current cap number looking like?

Rumors also are circulating about James Jones retiring, and one can only assume that Juwan Howard is on his way out, I know these two make marginal salaries, but does this generate any cap space as well?

dhoward#12
06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
If he's indeed retiring what a way to go out:

back-to-back EC Champion, and NBA Finals (winning 1).

Thanks for everything Mike :).

justinnum1
06-22-2012, 11:39 AM
He will talk to doctors, get surgery and see how he feels, his wife said he would be a fool to retire.

AllBall
06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't care what his wife says, its like 90% that he retires at this point.

Even the Boston core of KG, Allen, and Pierce are in a better health standpoint to come back than Miller.

Think about it, it'll be a FULL training camp, FULL 82 game season and a deep playoff run to the Finals again. That will be taxing.

justinnum1
06-22-2012, 12:20 PM
If miller retired and lets say we amnesty joel, i think we would have the full mle to throw at someone.

Cant think of a better way to go out than miller did.

king james
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Fellas we are not going to amnesty anybody on our team for the last time that will not help the team in anyway. I don't know if we could trade MM, JJ, if they r going to retire. If they can and there contracts would come off their books then do it.

justinnum1
06-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Fellas we are not going to amnesty anybody on our team for the last time that will not help the team in anyway. I don't know if we could trade MM, JJ, if they r going to retire. If they can and there contracts would come off their books then do it.

not true...we wouldn't amnesty someone if it didnt do anything for us, but if we can get the full mle then i can see us amnestying someone(mainly joel)

lots of scenarios at play. there is a big difference between the mini mle which is 3yr 9mil and full mle which is 4yr 20mil.

kntresistheheat
06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I think miller retires. He gave all his contribution in a last effort to win his ring and to say good bye to the NBA with a smile.

Thank you miller!

Jemikz9Clutch
06-22-2012, 02:40 PM
what? a JJ retiring rumor? i hope this is false.

MiamiBoy77
06-23-2012, 02:31 PM
What if MM decides to come back, and we just give Terell Harris more PT. Let him play vs lottery teams and have MM sit a lot just to keep him healthy for the playoffs.

justinnum1
06-23-2012, 02:37 PM
if miller did retire we could get a injured players exepmption and get 3.1mil to spend on another guy in addition to our mini mile(pretty sure)

personally, i want him to get his surgeries and return, but i respect any decision he makes, nothing like going out on top.

AllBall
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
if miller did retire we could get a injured players exepmption and get 3.1mil to spend on another guy in addition to our mini mile(pretty sure)

I don't believe that we would get that exemption, remember that it isn't automatic and it is reviewed by the league on a case by case basis.

SteBO
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't believe that we would get that exemption, remember that it isn't automatic and it is reviewed by the league on a case by case basis.
Mike Miller played every game despite the pain. Portland was granted the exception because the guy played 82 games in 3 YEARS. Good chunk of which came after they signed Oden to that extension, as well as suffering a major setback without basketball related activity. Huge difference obviously......

flashwade03
06-23-2012, 10:51 PM
all of a sudden half of the team is considering retirement after winning a title ..must go though .. juwan ,harris,pittman,curry, ..jj and miller pls not now :pray:

Jeff Boyd
06-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Question from a Sixers fan.

Mike Miller and James Jones are crazy for retiring. How can you pass up that money? They should sit on the bench and steal money like Elton Brand does from us.

justinnum1
06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Question from a Sixers fan.

Mike Miller and James Jones are crazy for retiring. How can you pass up that money? They should sit on the bench and steal money like Elton Brand does from us.

they would still get paid, their salaries would just come off miami's salary cap

AllBall
06-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Mike Miller played every game despite the pain. Portland was granted the exception because the guy played 82 games in 3 YEARS. Good chunk of which came after they signed Oden to that extension, as well as suffering a major setback without basketball related activity. Huge difference obviously......

We're not talking about Bird Rights. The league has denied people the disabled player exception even in cases where the player was actually injured. The previous iteration of this FAQ had an example, but they no longer have it there. You can go read more into it if you'd like. The league is not obligated to grant it to us, and they have denied things before for "basketball reasons"....

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61

Rain 816
06-24-2012, 02:10 AM
This thread is funny to me....before game 5 95% of heat fans wanted MM to be cut or traded...lol. just saying:D

flashwade03
06-24-2012, 09:37 AM
This thread is funny to me....before game 5 95% of heat fans wanted MM to be cut or traded...lol. just saying:D

luckily im not 1 of them :D

flashelement
06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
MM needs to sit down for a year, get his body right.

justinnum1
06-28-2012, 03:32 PM
MM needs to sit down for a year, get his body right.

agree, let him take next year off and lets get the injured players exception

we really need that huge tv deal to go through.

daleja424
06-28-2012, 05:58 PM
time to move on from him. He will cost Arison over 40 mil the next 3 years...

he had his moment...now its time to move on from him...

justinnum1
06-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Riley, on keeping Mike Miller, "If Mike Miller can guarantee me a seventh game in the playoffs, then I'll let him sit out all year."

injured players exception!

flashwade03
06-29-2012, 01:42 AM
injured players exception!

wow ! the boss riley finally spoke about miller

Mambo Kings
06-29-2012, 06:24 AM
time to move on from him. He will cost Arison over 40 mil the next 3 years...

he had his moment...now its time to move on from him...

I agree. The guy can barely walk. He did his thing, came up big in the Finals, and he can go out a hero. But his salary vs. what he can provide...yeesh. If he pushes it and tries to come back, I'm going to really sour on him.

beasted86
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Nobody here is a doctor, if he can recover and play, why not keep him?

Is there some other bench SG Miami has on it's roster that is better than Miller that I don't know about? Until we add a better solution via free agency, I'm hoping Miller returns.

justinnum1
06-29-2012, 12:17 PM

Is there some other bench SG Miami has on it's roster that is better than Miller that I don't know about? Until we add a better solution via free agency, I'm hoping Miller returns.

Agreed, i think he takes most of next year off and returns before the playoffs, and miami will file for the injured players exception.

daleja424
06-29-2012, 12:48 PM

he has gotten progressively worse over the last season. He only knows one way to play: all out and hard. I love it as a HEAT fan. But unfortunately, it has become clear in the past several years that his body is breaking down and can no longer handle what his mind tells him to do.

Do not get me wrong... I love MM as a player and if he comes back I will root him on every step of the way. But from a financial standpoint, he will not live up to the 50 million he will cost us moving forward to keep him.

justinnum1
06-29-2012, 01:26 PM
If that huge tv deal goes through, these lux tax problems won be such a problem

daleja424
06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
If that huge tv deal goes through, these lux tax problems won be such a problem

Considering that we will be paying a HUGE tax bill and that there is now more revenue sharing than before... I doubt that the extra money does anything more than keep us afloat somewhere around our current salary level.

YungDaSensai
06-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Please retire miller, go out a champ.... Lifetime front court season tix if you do :)