PDA

View Full Version : When did you become a Heat fan

Hawkeye15
06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of the notion that everyone on this site joined the second LeBron said, "I do" to coming to Miami.

If you would, tell us when you started following the Heat, and when you made your PSD account.

Furthermore, don't even sweat it if you did make it because LeBron and Bosh joined the team, even in the Wolves forum we had a major influx of users the second Rubio started throwing sick passes. This is simply an experiment. I am so sick of the Heat fan base being called out as fair weather fans, of which every team has.

Ever been to a Lakers game? My best friend in LA said its impossible to get great tickets, because tons of seats are reserved for businesses, with different people showing up for that season ticket every game. Company perks. Yet because they sell out (with arguably half of the people there even caring what the hell is going on), they are legit.

PackinHeat
06-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Let the pissing contest begin.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Let the pissing contest begin.

absolutely not what it is. I am just sick of reading everyone ***** about Heat fans not being here. And furthermore, if they weren't, so the **** what?

PackinHeat
06-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Been following the Heat since: 1992 (age 10)
Joined PSD: 2012

SteBO
06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Hawk, I started following the NBA and the Heat in 1998 (age 6). I did join in December of 2010.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Hawk, I started following the NBA and the Heat in 1998 (age 6). I did join in December of 2010.

you were 6? haha, I started watching in the 1984 finals at age 8, and had minimal idea what was going on. My Dad taught me basketball that summer.

Lord Leoshes
06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
It was 1987, (my senior year) & i was sitting at the lunch cafe across the street from Coral Gables Senior High School hanging out with friend when on the TV it said we were getting our own franchise.
Till then i was a Lakers fan cause of Kareem Abdul Jabbar being a disciple of Bruce Lee.
Yes i was there the 1st game we ever played, & was watching that DEC game against the Clippers when we finally won our 1st game.

J$mo0th_3o5
06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Late 90's. **** you Allan Houston! :mad: PJ, Thunder Dan, J Mash, Voshon Lenard, oh yeah! I went to a couple games at the Miami Arena. So ugly:puke: lol

Kutchie03
06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Marquette has always been my ncaa bball team, and Wade was my favorite player to have ever played there. At age 13, having yet to find a favorite NBA team, I naturally became a Heat fan when he got drafted there.

Slug3
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
I became a fan in 95 when Zo came here. I was a big fan of his. I was 12 at the time and since then I have been a big fan. I joined here because I was interested in what Bosh/Lebron were doing and was always looking up the latest rumors. I happen to come across this page and signed up about a week before Lebron and Bosh decided to join us.

Lazaro305201
06-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Back in mid-2005 when I moved to Miami.

I followed this forum closely for about a year and a half but I had never made an account until Bosh and Lebron came over here.

SteBO
06-21-2012, 03:37 PM
you were 6? haha, I started watching in the 1984 finals at age 8, and had minimal idea what was going on. My Dad taught me basketball that summer.
The first game I watched wasn't a live one though. I watched the taped game of the clincher in the Bulls-Lakers Finals series, where the Bulls won.

gotoHcarolina52
06-21-2012, 04:09 PM
We need not justify the extent of our fandom to anyone.

Lord Leoshes
06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
The first game I watched wasn't a live one though. I watched the taped game of the clincher in the Bulls-Lakers Finals series, where the Bulls won.

:mad:

It was me & 7 of my friends & i was the only one rooting for the Lakers.

I will always hate the bulls the most with the Knicks a close 2nd.

BALLER71
06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
2000 when Eddie Jones became our star player.
People love giving us ****, but I doubt anyone who posts in a forum to talk basketball actually bandwagon'ed once we got the big 3.

Cano4prez
06-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Early 2000s when I moved to Broward I was like 7. I remember my first game was a day game against the 76ers with the likes of the Butler's, Brian Grant, and Jones on the team at the time. And i made my PSD account right after we lost to Boston in the 1st round in 2010 in anticipation of the summer of 2010

mrs rose
06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
SINCE BIRTH... join psd while in iraq to watch for trade rumors. when wade needed help. i think its crazy people say because of a join date thats when they became fans of a certain.. spare me

FlashMacker
06-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Well I joined after LeBron and Bosh signed but I was already a Heat fan. Shaq is my favorite player of all time and the Heat became my favorite team the second he was traded to Miami and they've remained my favorite team ever since.

naps
06-21-2012, 06:27 PM
And what does this PSD join date have anything to do with being a true fan or what not? Is PSD the HOF of basketball fans or something? Do we have to take oath on PSD the moment we become a fan? Jesus, these sick bastards on NBA forum basically most of which are bandwagoners themselves (big city fans and historic franchise fans) just can't stand the Heat being a good team and having 3 of the best on the planet. They are grasping for the last straw to irritate Heat fans.

Hawk, if I was a MOD I would honestly consider closing threads like the one on NBA forum on Barkley's comment. It's full of baits and trolling but I wonder why it's still open. It's not bringing in any good healthy discussion which is the main objective of this forum, right?

FlashMacker
06-21-2012, 06:28 PM
By the way I also have a box set for the 2006 team on DVD. It has every game against Dallas and also against Detroit in the conference finals.

naps
06-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Anyways, I have been a fan of Heat since early 90's when I moved to south florida. I never rooted for any team before that because there was no team where I lived. Been to a plenty of Heat games ever since. My brother was a big Heat fan who had been living here years before I moved here and he's the one who actually got me into the hoops and Heat. And he took me to a lot of games in the Zo and Hardaway era. Then I was able to afford my tickets around 2002 and I became more of a regular on the AAA. So yeah, I eat, live, and breathe HEAT.

BostonMafia
06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Since I was born. Don't let the name confuse u. My grandpa was in the mafia in boston lol. I was born in florida in 1992. Been a heat fan my whole life. I even watched every game when the heat went 15-67, that's how dedicated I am to them. I got the heat logo tattoed on my ribs when the heat won in 06 and a small 06 champions trophy under it. If the heat win the finals (or tonight) im getting another trophy under it!!! :)

BostonMafia
06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
I have been following psd for years but never decide to make an account and post on here lol

emman03
06-21-2012, 07:07 PM
since 03 D-Wade era

heattiltheend94
06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
since 04-05 (age 11) and made my account in 09

unleashthebeast
06-21-2012, 08:04 PM
2002 or 2003 i became a big time fan, and i was only 7 or 8 years old then.

I joined in may 2010 i think, and that was because i was searching the web for trade rumors and FA rumors about the HEAT, and PSD constantly popped up. I followed the posts for a while and then finally decided to join in.

Rain 816
06-21-2012, 08:05 PM
It was the yr my then Fav player Gary Payton came here (i was 18 or 19 yrs old)..but i have been a Wade fan since his Sr yr as Marq....so the Heat was my 2nd team since his rookie yr. After GP left i stayed and will NEVER have another nba team

dnewguy
06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
When Shaq came to Miami....Shaq was my fav back in the day and I was a fan of the Lakers but after all the BS with Kobe ( I hated Kobe even as a Laker fan) I started to root for Shaq and (de facto) Miami.....which introduced me to Wade whom I liked and I stayed with Miami since.

king james
06-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I've been a Heat fan ever since their 1st year in '88. I went to a game for my birthday (14). The Heat was playing the Nuggets at the old Miami Arena. That game went to double overtime and the Heat won something like 148-145. (don't quote me on the score) it was an awesome game and Alex English for the Nuggets went off that game, i think he had about 40pts. I was sitting right behind the basket, good times good stuff.

rex.reyesiii
06-21-2012, 09:01 PM

Hell it was the time I became an NBA fan. I am purely all about Music back then and never paid attention to Sports. ^_^

It was the first time I understood the game, I didn't even know about PG, SG, SF etc positions LOL.

Anyway it was the Year of their first title. I just backread the history etc... and walahhh

Ethix11
06-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Been a fan all my life. I was there when D Wade got his first win as a rookie. Joined during that infamous 15-67 season. Back then, our forum was full of creative ideas and what players could realistically end up on our team. Those were other times. Never actually thought the Heat hochos would consider our posts.

Sick_Monkey1
06-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Well i lived in Two cities Miami and LA... so i only follow teams from those cities.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-21-2012, 09:40 PM
i live in Miami, was on ESPN until it got ridiculous to have normal conversations last year, and heard of this site, and made one last year.

FlashMacker
06-22-2012, 12:51 AM
When Shaq came to Miami....Shaq was my fav back in the day and I was a fan of the Lakers but after all the BS with Kobe ( I hated Kobe even as a Laker fan) I started to root for Shaq and (de facto) Miami.....which introduced me to Wade whom I liked and I stayed with Miami since.

That's exactly how I was too. Shaq is my favorite player of all time so when he came to the Heat they became my favorite team. Shaq and Kobe hated each other so obviously I chose Shaq to root for. Since he got along with Wade I never felt like I had to choose 1 or the other and Miami remained my favorite team.

dhoward#12
06-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I started following the Heat during the 99-00 season, the Hardwaway/Mourning days. Dan Majerle, Clarence Weatherspoon, PJ Brown, Jamal Mashburn etc. Good times.

popo85
06-22-2012, 01:16 AM
You guys shouldn't care about all those when were you a Heat fan threads, trust me if all these fans of other teams got Lebron and Bosh or any combination of 2 stars they wouldn't be saying crap.

AllBall
06-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Became a Heat fan in 96 during the Heat/Knicks rivalries. Sitting and rooting with my dad is what got me into it, was a fan of basketball and Jordan in general before that back then as a kid.

Fnom11
06-22-2012, 01:58 AM
I've been one pretty much my whole live growing up in south Florida. Back in 06 I was only 14 and couldn't really appreciate the NBA as much as I do now because I had basketball of my own to play.I'd watch a majority of their games with my family and stuff but being so young it wasn't really the same as how I feel now. I started to get into it a lot in 09 when Wade was playing like a God and high school ball ended for me. Then the whole Lebron debacle happened and I wanted to read more about it and found this site and have been called a bandwagon fan since. Won Championship; Don't care.

Mambo Kings
06-22-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm a native of South Florida so the Heat have always been special to me, but going back to my youth I was a fan of Pat Riley. When he came to Miami, it was a perfect match - my hometown team with my favorite coach. That was when I really became a Heat superfan. I mean, sure, we pulled for the Heat in the early years, but they were a joke and we knew it. Riley made me proud of my team and not just because they were in the same geographical area.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-22-2012, 02:56 AM
i've been one pretty much my whole live growing up in south florida. Back in 06 i was only 14 and couldn't really appreciate the nba as much as i do now because i had basketball of my own to play.i'd watch a majority of their games with my family and stuff but being so young it wasn't really the same as how i feel now. I started to get into it a lot in 09 when wade was playing like a god and high school ball ended for me. Then the whole lebron debacle happened and i wanted to read more about it and found this site and have been called a bandwagon fan since. Won championship; don't care.

****in awesome meme bro

Jemikz9Clutch
06-22-2012, 03:24 AM
playoffs 2004 when i saw at the tv a replay of wade's game winning shot against baron davis and the hornets. the moment i saw that i told myself, "who's this rookie? he's got clutchness like MJ's" (my exaggeration because he's my first favorite player and i hate kobe for over 9000 level that time). i said that i like this dwyane wade and there it started.

i discovered psd when i was searching for news and rumors on the heat during our painful 15-67 '08 season. then joined psd forums at july 2010 because i felt that it was the right time for me to join in when LBJ and CB signed with the heat, plus with all the excitement.

TylerSL
06-22-2012, 03:36 AM
I started watching the NBA in 2003-2004 when I was 11. I was a Shaq fan at the time and watched him and the Lakers go to the Finals and lose to the Pistons. Shaq had a fallout in LA, and went to Miami. And remember, I was an 11 year old Shaq fan. So I followed him to Miami.

Then in 04-05 I saw Wade for the 1st time and he quickly became my favorite player. But it wasnt just Wade and Shaq, for the 1st time I actually became a fan of a team, the Heat. And remember, I was just 12. Then Miami won in 05-06, it was great. I thought the Heat would win again next year. Then Miami had 2 really tough years, getting swept in the first round in 06-07, and only having a 15 win season in 07-08.

When Riley stepped down and hired Spoelstra I wasnt sure bout the idea, but the Heat got back to winning with Spo. I mean we had got Beasley and Chalmers to help Wade and Haslem and got a 43 win season and almost got to round 2. I actually think Wade was cheated out of the MVP that year. In 09-10, Miami had a great season all around, and IMO could have been an darkhorse in the playoffs had they got the 6 seed rather than the 5 seed.

Then we got Lebron and Bosh, and wow. I know I've wrote a book, but this has been my experience as a Heat fan. Gone from being an 11 year old Shaq fan to a 19 year old Heat fan. I know I'm young, but it feels like I've been a fan of this game forever.

hestar
06-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Late 90's. **** you Allan Houston! :mad: PJ, Thunder Dan, J Mash, Voshon Lenard, oh yeah! I went to a couple games at the Miami Arena. So ugly:puke: lol

mid 90's for me...That Allen Houston play made me punch 3 holes in my wall as a teenager haha..But thankfully I have got to see my team win twice now and got to see 2 of my fav players win (wade & Zo)

_Supreme_
06-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Over 20 years ago, I don't know exactly. Either 1990 or 1991.

When I joined PSD we only had Wade>you, Mikeheat (who is long gone unfortunately) and myself to defend Miami's honour against the barbarian hordes.

Whether or not we have gotten a bunch of bandwagoners since 2010 too, it is very good to see how our fanbase and team forum has grown on this site :clap:

Mr. Baller
06-22-2012, 07:24 AM
2002 at age 8

theheatles
06-22-2012, 08:09 AM
1997 when I was 9, I went to my first Heat game vs the lakers at the old Miami arena in a Tim Hardaway/ Nick Van Exel shoot out in which Timmy hit a go ahead 3 that eventually won it, I remember I started crying when I found out Zo and Shaq were both out and neither were playing but Timmy made it worth my while

That was my 1st taste but I didn't become a serious fan who knew team stats and player backgrounds until 03 when we got Wade and Odom

SteBO
06-22-2012, 08:24 AM
More Heat fans were born last night though, that's for sure :laugh2:

ATX
06-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I grew up a Dolphins fan, and naturally became a Heat fan in the early 90's. Once we got Zo, I became a die hard. I was always a huge fan of his, and was also a Charlotte Hornets fan back in the day. I'll never forget his buzzer beater in 93' that beat Boston to clinch the Hornets first ever playoff series.

fadahway
06-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Fan of Glen Rice, Tim Hardaway and Lebron James:cool:

But support Miami Heat:clap:

WadeCounty
06-22-2012, 09:52 AM
I believe I was 6 or 7 meaning I started following them in 96 or 97 back when they had pj brown (my father hated him, i think he was a worst free throw shooter than shaq), tim hardaway, alonzo, thunder dan.

My friend kingkoopa told me about this website since we would always talk about the heat at the gym, after a year of lurking and reading ridiculous post I just had to make an account to say something on december 2008.

I barely post, but I check PSD every morning/ before I go to sleep i'm just one of the people who appear under "guest" too lazy to sign in. Too many immature people on the NBA forum as well as the heat forum, you can't hold a serious topic without people saying "not thread worthy" or "(insert team name here) forum".

flashwade03
06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
ive been a fan since 03 (im 15)when i saw wade`s dunk on JO i think in the second round of the playoffs if im not mistaken ..i only found out about the PSD year 2009 ..

fadahway
06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
ive been a fan since 03 (im 15)when i saw wade`s dunk on JO i think in the second round of the playoffs if im not mistaken ..i only found out about the PSD year 2009 ..

I found out this year, kinda funny but Im here now!!

TylerSL
06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
More Heat fans were born last night though, that's for sure :laugh2:

I agree

Dade County
06-22-2012, 12:33 PM
early 90's .... I am 29

I really just joined this forum, because my friend told me that people were hating on the HEAT, because of bosh and Lbj.

**** the haters .... Go HEAT!

mikealike305
06-22-2012, 02:57 PM
im 20 and became a heat fan in 03. at the time i was only a dolphin, marlins and canes fan and didnt watch ANY basketball. i had to do a current event in middle school and was looking in the sports section and saw that a new heat player, wade, was doing some good stuff so i thought id give it a try. well, i been hooked ever since. just seeing what wade was able to do on the court kept my eyes glued to the screen

KTheo77
06-22-2012, 06:07 PM
2003 when Wade was drafted. I joined here in 2010 to follow the signing of the Big Three and keep up with news in the organization.

h2r09
06-22-2012, 08:57 PM
been a fan of all miami since i was born. will test my true fan hood of the other miami teams when i leave for tallahassee on tuesday, but my love for the heat and basketball in miami will be forever. just a great team and organization to be a fan of.

Funny enough my earliest heat memory was when i was 7, new years eve of 2000 and i just remember the heat getting their *** handed to them by i believe it was the pacers.

it was hard to be a fan until wade got here for someone my age but I've always lived and died with this team.

got season tickets in 2005 the first year for shaq and saw them lose to the pistons in game 7 but was also their the next year for game 6 when we beat them. i was in europe for the last 4 games of the 2006 finals so i had never seen a heat win in the finals live or in the same country until last year.

heat fans get a ****** rep, a lot of it deserved because whether the die hards on this site want to admit or not, miamians are generally not smart fans. some of the people who sit around me at games are the most annoying and straight up dumb fans. calling things fixed only when calls go against you is stupid and annoying. but all teams have that, and miami also has a lot of extremely passionate fans whose rep gets destroyed by the other fair-weather fans.

btw, I'm sick of people saying this team has so many fair-weather fans. every team has those fans.

but this team is ingrained in my blood and will always be, which is not something i might always say about other miami teams when i leave this city.

was there last night and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. the heat know how to run a business but also an organization.

after that rant, i joined in april of 2010 after wade went off for i think it was 45 against the celtics to keep us alive that year before losing the next game.

dodie53
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
i'm a fan of LBJ,
even named my son James.
when i have another one, i'll name him Nash.

i follow players, not teams.

utl768
06-23-2012, 10:14 AM
2001 after i moved to south florida

Glen20
06-23-2012, 10:57 AM
couple of hours ago.....
i only found out about the NBA just as the heat were about to win

#BORNANDRAISED

kjoke
06-23-2012, 01:10 PM
The year Shaq came, I was 10. Funny because I started watching and didn't even know who shaq was, it just so happened I started watching at that time.

I also remember back in 03 I saw LeBron James, and was like "whose this guy with this ugly *** face mask" :laugh2: