PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy People... what do you think? 5 games of 6-7 games?

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I'm just wondering what those who are more suspicious of the NBA having a conspiratorial agenda and using the refs to orchestrate series think about the current scenario. (I myself do not engage in such speculation and can't bring myself to call the NBA rigged at all... I just say the refs are often incredibly bad).

Anyway, as some posters pointed out, no team in the Finals with the 2-3-2 format has ever won all three of the middle games... AND there would seem to be tremendous incentive for the league to send it back to Oklahoma for a monster game 6 with sky rocketing ratings.

BUT...

Others would say that the league and its advertisers have SO MUCH riding on James finally getting certified as a true NBA superstar with the championship "hardware," that the league is likely to pass even on a lucrative and exciting game 6, to just hurry up and get Lebron the ring as soon as possible and sweep the whole sordid mess under the carpet before anybody notices what just happened, to just get "the legend" into the history books as soon as possible, so that the billions spent on advertising with Lebron as the front man will have some value in the long run.

So, which is it, consipiracy people? Will we see OKC get the clear benefit of the doubt from the referees, or will we see the refs just slam the door shut on OKC not allow them even a hint of daylight or fresh air from the opening quarter, paving the way for Miami to hoist the trophy on Thursday?

HesterJordan23
06-21-2012, 12:43 AM
i honestly think if miami cant close out thursday then okc wins it in 7..

Yanks All Day
06-21-2012, 12:53 AM
There's no conspiracy. Yeah, there's superstar calls here and there, but Miami has been the more aggressive team thus far, and they are receiving more calls. I fully expect that to continue in Game 5. OKC looks dejected. Ibaka is nonexistent, Harden is just roaming around and missing jumpers, and KD is underperforming. I don't care what 30 points says, because he's not playing defense or rebounding. If OKC can't match Miami's will to win, then they don't deserve to win the game, let alone the series. I think you'll see Miami come out on fire and step on OKC's throats early, and Miami wins the title at home. KD has to become an assassin, which his personality does not let him do, because Westbrook will not score 43 like that again.

BUT, if I was a conspiracy person, then I'm saying OKC, because Games 6 and 7's ratings would be the highest of all time.

DaSeba5
06-21-2012, 12:55 AM
If OKC wins tomorrow night it will be because they earned it. There's no conspiracy.

AllBall
06-21-2012, 12:59 AM
The conspiracy is there is a tranny in your signature.

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 01:01 AM
If there truly was a conspiracy....wouldn't the NBA benefit from a 7 game series with LeBron winning.. Some could even argue that Durant beating LeBron would be better for the NBA. Would create quite the rivalry.

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 01:21 AM
The conspiracy is there is a tranny in your signature.

That's Leann Tweeden... and she's about as 100% all-woman as you could find on planet earth I think... probably twice the estrogen of J-Lo and a better bod

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 01:23 AM
If there truly was a conspiracy....wouldn't the NBA benefit from a 7 game series with LeBron winning.. Some could even argue that Durant beating LeBron would be better for the NBA. Would create quite the rivalry.

yes I agree... I see multiple scenarios that would be very desirable for the league... and I also see the scenario the Miami faithful or talking about, that OKC just plays bad and knuckles under...

but what if OKC comes out on fire like game 4? Do the refs pull out all the stops to make sure Lebron wins a title NOW, while he has the chance?

Or, conversely, if OKC comes out cold, do the refs carry them a few rounds to set up the epic ratings fest that would be game 6 on Saturday?

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 01:26 AM
yes I agree... I see multiple scenarios that would be very desirable for the league... and I also see the scenario the Miami faithful or talking about, that OKC just plays bad and knuckles under...

but what if OKC comes out on fire like game 4? Do the refs pull out all the stops to make sure Lebron wins now while he has the chance?

Or, conversely, if OKC comes out cold, do the refs carry them a few rounds to set up the epic ratings fest that would be game 6?

I think we saw the power of the refs in 2002. If there was truly a conspiracy, Stern would "will" it to a game 7 and then "kings/Lakers" it for a LBJ title.

Max profit for the NBA in that scenario. Advertising revenue + the most polarizing player on the planet getting a ring = cash for days.

naps
06-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Rigged!

naps
06-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Last year was rigged too until Dallas won it.

Cal827
06-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Last year was rigged too until Dallas won it.

:laugh: ah PSD :facepalm:

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 01:36 AM
I think we saw the power of the refs in 2002. If there was truly a conspiracy, Stern would "will" it to a game 7 and then "kings/Lakers" it for a LBJ title.

Max profit for the NBA in that scenario. Advertising revenue + the most polarizing player on the planet getting a ring = cash for days.

I do gotta say that the whole 2002 "rigged" scenario and the conspiracy theories of the Sacramento fans carry no weight with me.

there may have been, as Donaghy said, a case of game 5 unfairly tilted toward Sacramento, inadvertently or not, and then that Game 6, when Sac played well, LA got some benefit of the doubt to "even it out."

But game 7, that was fair and square. Like I would trust that short legged little rat Donaghy. He's just got that liar face, y'know?

anyway, the plays the sac fans bring up, the Christie Kobe elbow, etc, are just soooooooooo weak. That non-title and the sac fans desperate clinging conspiracty theories about it is one of the most pathetic things about King's fans, even more pathetic than the team is always fixing to move to Vegas or Alaska or whatever.

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 01:38 AM
I do gotta say that the whole 2002 "rigged" scenario and the conspiracy theories of the Sacramento fans carry no weight with me.

there may have been, as Donaghy said, a case of game 5 unfairly tilted toward Sacramento, inadvertently or not, and then that Game 6, when Sac played well, LA got some benefit of the doubt to "even it out."

But game 7, that was fair and square. Like I would trust that short legged little rat Donaghy. He's just got that liar face, y'know?

anyway, the plays the sac fans bring up, the Christie Kobe elbow, etc, are just soooooooooo weak. That non-title is one of the most pathetic things about King's fans, even more pathetic than the team is always fixing to move to Vegas or Alaska or whatever.

All I am saying is that Refs can influence a game. If the conspiracy theories are true then Stern could have them create a 7 game series.

I don't think the league is rigged. I think that reffing is a subjectivly called sport that is based on ones perspective. Since it is so fast mistakes happen and a lot of them. But with todays media everything is scrutinized for hours so it seems like it is worse than it really is.

naps
06-21-2012, 01:39 AM
:laugh: ah PSD :facepalm:

Yea dude. Reminds me of the post-game PSD of last years finals game 1 and game 3. Then starting from game 4 NBA wasn't rigged anymore once the Dallas started taking control over the series. These conspiracy scientists are coming out again...Stephen Hawking shouldn't be alive anymore...more sophisticated brains are all over PSD nowadays.

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 01:50 AM
All I am saying is that Refs can influence a game. If the conspiracy theories are true then Stern could have them create a 7 game series.

I don't think the league is rigged. I think that reffing is a subjectivly called sport that is based on ones perspective. Since it is so fast mistakes happen and a lot of them. But with todays media everything is scrutinized for hours so it seems like it is worse than it really is.

In drastic contrast from our encounter last evening, I agree with you completely. Your posts in this thread are totally in line with my school of thought on the matter.

Well said, Good form!

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 01:52 AM
In drastic contrast from our encounter last evening, I agree with you completely. Your posts in this thread are totally in line with my school of thought on the matter.

Well said, Good form!

I was a little out of line last night. I sitll think the shot will be one that is talked about for a long time, because of all the variable that went into it.

Either way its not a big deal.

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 01:55 AM
I also gotta say the NBA has seen its future and it's cash cow will truly be this Lebron v. Durant story line moving forward.

I really think these two stars are head and shoulders above the rest of the league at this point and the NBA brass would be extremely lucky to see this develop Into a Magic v. Bird style rivalry year in and year out. Which I think is a completely plausible scenario

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 01:58 AM
I was a little out of line last night. I sitll think the shot will be one that is talked about for a long time, because of all the variable that went into it.

Either way its not a big deal.

I agree and I apologize. I dont think you and I are that far off on our opinions on a lot of these things. I found myself agreeing quite a bit with several of your posts in other forums.

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 01:59 AM
I agree and I apologize. I dont think you and I are that far off on our opinions on a lot of these things. I found myself agreeing quite a bit with several of your posts in other forums.

I try to stay level headed, but as the day goes along here at work, I start to get fed up with the rigging, LeBron v Kobe/Jordan, cHEAT theads, ect. So I tend to get sarcastic and snarky.

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 02:04 AM
I try to stay level headed, but as the day goes along here at work, I start to get fed up with the rigging, LeBron v Kobe/Jordan, cHEAT theads, ect. So I tend to get sarcastic and snarky.

I laughed out loud at a comment you made in another forum where you said you'll likely get suspended for weeks when the heat do clinch this title.

It got me thinking man as a true fan you have every right to enjoy the hell out of this run especially with the criticism lebron takes on here. I know if my Knicks ever made a run I'd be telling plenty of ppl on here to go pound sand as well.

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 02:09 AM
I laughed out loud at a comment you made in another forum where you said you'll likely get suspended for weeks when the heat do clinch this title.

It got me thinking man as a true fan you have every right to enjoy the hell out of this run especially with the criticism lebron takes on here. I know if my Knicks ever made a run I'd be telling plenty of ppl on here to go pound sand as well.

Well I just get fed up with all the dumb comments I get because I grew up in Chicago but follow Miami. I have no problem explaining it and most people understand but you have people that just continue to assume I am a bandwagon fan. There was no bandwagon traveling from Jacksonville to Miami on the weekends in 2002 to watch the heat get their *** beat regularly I promise.

That was a great time to live in Florida for me because I got to go to Raymond James to watch the Bucs and Bears play since they were in the same division.

new york blue
06-21-2012, 02:15 AM
The league grosses $4 billion a year. Anyone who thinks they would rig it and risk PR disaster over a game or two has **** for brains.

blams
06-21-2012, 02:17 AM
This should be closed. So stupid. Just LeBron haters.

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Well I just get fed up with all the dumb comments I get because I grew up in Chicago but follow Miami. I have no problem explaining it and most people understand but you have people that just continue to assume I am a bandwagon fan. There was no bandwagon traveling from Jacksonville to Miami on the weekends in 2002 to watch the heat get their *** beat regularly I promise.

That was a great time to live in Florida for me because I got to go to Raymond James to watch the Bucs and Bears play since they were in the same division.

Dude, that's some good stuff right there. I remember some of those lean years for the heat and you had to pay some pretty serious dues after those years that Zo and your Heat went through some epic wars with my Knicks until you were able to pull that coup where you struck gold with wade in the draft and made that epic move for Shaq.

Those were some tough years and i respect Any fan who sticks those hard times out. It makes the good times that much more enjoyable. luckily for Heat fans you had a great front office where my Knicks went thru the same lean years but they extended and carried on for whats the beginning of a 2nd decade now.

I would assume you probably have a shrine to Reilley while I curse Dolan.

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Dude, that's some good stuff right there. I remember some of those lean years for the heat and you had to pay some pretty serious dues after those years that Zo and your Heat went through some epic wars with my Knicks until you were able to pull that coup where you struck gold with wade in the draft and made that epic move for Shaq.

Those were some tough years and i respect Any fan who sticks those hard times out. It makes the good times that much more enjoyable. luckily for Heat fans you had a great front office where my Knicks went thru the same lean years but they extended and carried on for whats the beginning of a 2nd decade now.

I would assume you probably have a shrine to Reilley while I curse Dolan.

I think the Knicks have a decent team now. I do not like Lin or him as a long term solution at PG and think it would be smart for them to pawn him off on a semi-large market team for a couple young role players. There are teams out there more worried about selling tickets then winning games, and he would be perfect for that. Unfortunately you are stuck with Amare and his "meh" contract but maybe Woodson can get him to start playing some defense. Iman hopefully will be back by January (last timetable I saw for him) and he can provide some depth.

Talent is there. Can it all mesh is the question.

amos1er
06-21-2012, 02:26 AM
i'm just wondering what those who are more suspicious of the nba having a conspiratorial agenda and using the refs to orchestrate series think about the current scenario. (i myself do not engage in such speculation and can't bring myself to call the nba rigged at all... I just say the refs are often incredibly bad).

Anyway, as some posters pointed out, no team in the finals with the 2-3-2 format has ever won all three of the middle games... And there would seem to be tremendous incentive for the league to send it back to oklahoma for a monster game 6 with sky rocketing ratings.

But...

others would say that the league and its advertisers have so much riding on james finally getting certified as a true nba superstar with the championship "hardware," that the league is likely to pass even on a lucrative and exciting game 6, to just hurry up and get lebron the ring as soon as possible and sweep the whole sordid mess under the carpet before anybody notices what just happened, to just get "the legend" into the history books as soon as possible, so that the billions spent on advertising with lebron as the front man will have some value in the long run.

so, which is it, consipiracy people? Will we see okc get the clear benefit of the doubt from the referees, or will we see the refs just slam the door shut on okc not allow them even a hint of daylight or fresh air from the opening quarter, paving the way for miami to hoist the trophy on thursday?

bingo!!!

BigBongTheory
06-21-2012, 02:30 AM
The refs want Lebron to win it, face it. Little you can do when 8 people are playing 5.

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 02:30 AM
I think the Knicks have a decent team now. I do not like Lin or him as a long term solution at PG and think it would be smart for them to pawn him off on a semi-large market team for a couple young role players. There are teams out there more worried about selling tickets then winning games, and he would be perfect for that. Unfortunately you are stuck with Amare and his "meh" contract but maybe Woodson can get him to start playing some defense. Iman hopefully will be back by January (last timetable I saw for him) and he can provide some depth.

Talent is there. Can it all mesh is the question.

I totally agree, there are alot of ?????'s with the Knicks roster right now but with D'antoni finally gone I think we will finally see them maximize their potential as a team.

What upset me is that all the hard work Donnie Walsh did to get that team stocked with deep talent and a cap friendly financial situation was undone in one fell swoop by the damage done by that lopsided Melo deal forced by Dolan. Not to mention blowing our amnesty exception which could've been used to get us out from under this horrible Amare contract.

But I agree things have been worse in NY as long as Isaiah isn't sniffing around I'm good!

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 02:32 AM
The refs want Lebron to win it, face it. Little you can do when 8 people are playing 5.

Bedford1892.......this is the type of post that I am talking about. This dude has probably never played or reffed basketball at a competetive level. In turn knows nothing about the actual speed of the game and thinks it is easy to make calls based on slow motion replays that ESPN feeds him. When bodies are flying and the sound of skin being slapped happens everytime in the paint it can get hard to continue to blow that whistle.

Its all about perception.

BigBongTheory
06-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Bedford1892.......this is the type of post that I am talking about. This dude has probably never played or reffed basketball at a competetive level. In turn knows nothing about the actual speed of the game and thinks it is easy to make calls based on slow motion replays that ESPN feeds him. When bodies are flying and the sound of skin being slapped happens everytime in the paint it can get hard to continue to blow that whistle.

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 02:42 AM

It's 100% true. People on here as well as my friends who I watch the games with always base their expertise on the super slow mo replay not considering the difficulty associated with calling a game at full speed with the most athletic, physically imposing players in the world. At full speed a ref could probably have cause to blow the whistle at some point in every offensive-defensive exchange.

People gotta understand that each ref has a different philosophy on the rules and are prone to allowing game tempos and styles of play that appeal to their personal interpretation of how the game should be played and officiated. When you combine these different perspectives onto an officiating squad, it's natural to have some diverse styles of officiating from game to game. Whats important is that the crew officiated a game that is consistent throughout. One game might allow a more physical game with less calls to appeal to bigger more physical players while another game may take on a less physical style of play with more foul calls, appealing to guards and finesse' players. As long as calls are consistent within an individual game, it's the job of the players to read the style of officiating and adjust their games to that style and tempo

ChitownBears22
06-21-2012, 02:44 AM
It's 100% true. People on here as well as my friends who I watch the games with always base their expertise on the super slow mo replay not considering the difficulty associated with calling a game at full speed with the most athletic, physically imposing players in the world. At full speed a ref could probably have cause to blow the whistle at some point in every offensive-defensive exchange.

People gotta understand that each ref has a different philosophy on the rules and are prone to allowing game tempos and styles of play that appeal to their personal interpretation of how the game should be played and officiated. When you combine these different perspectives onto an officiating squad, it's natural to have some diverse styles of officiating from game to game. Whats important is that the crew officiated a game that is consistent throughout. One game might allow a more physical game with less calls to appeal to bigger more physical players while another game may take on a less physical style of play with more foul calls, appealing to guards and finesse' players. As long as calls are consistent within an individual game, it's the job of the players to read the style of officiating and adjust their games to that style and tempo

+1. But it is easier and more comforting to believe it is rigged and there "star calls".

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 02:55 AM
+1. But it is easier and more comforting to believe it is rigged and there "star calls".

Even more concerning is the fact that lebron is held accountable at every turn but no one wants to acknowledge that every one's favorite bearded 6th man has been a complete no show. Not to mention that, although statistically performing well, Durant has looked overwhelmed in big spots and has been completely over matched when gaurded by LBJ.

On top of that, the Thunder supporting cast that was billed as deeper and more versatile than the heats has been out worked, out hustled, and out performed every step of the way. I don't think the heat have been beat to any of those 50/50 loose ball hustle plays all series

The thunder fans need to stop looking at the refs and start blaming the team for the position their in.

BigBongTheory
06-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Lebron and Wade have been getting the "cute pat on the butt" treatment all post-season. They will be remembered as winning the 2012 title, if they didn't win it this year chances are they would pull one of the big three out, Dream Team #2 can't be remembered as a bust, get it out of the way now so people can calm down about Lebron. Lebron needs his rings given to him so he can become comparable to the top-tier greats after his career.

naps
06-21-2012, 03:19 AM
The league grosses $4 billion a year. Anyone who thinks they would rig it and risk PR disaster over a game or two has **** for brains.

Can't ask for that much from a population whose avg age is like 15. Kids grow up with age though. So there's always hope for the future.

This should be closed. So stupid. Just LeBron haters.

We can always let the kids have some time to vent on internet forums. Doesn't hurt if that makes them sleep better to catch 9th grade classes in the morning.

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 04:39 AM
blah blah blah

The hypothetical question was, if the league had a preference, and if it had influence over the refs, which way would the game get pushed?

Toward extending the series for a lucrative 6th game?

Or

Secure a title for Lebron as quick as possible and eliminate the possibility that Miami loses somehow, which would make Lebron a 3 times Finals loser without a ring, with an increasing (though undeserved) reputation as a choker.

Read the question: not asking IF it's rigged. It's a purely hypothetical question.

DudeItsZoltan
06-21-2012, 05:26 AM
The home team has never won all three of the middle games??? Try Detroit 2004 against my Lakers, or Miami 2006 against Dallas. Its been done. As for all this conspiracy crap, didn't the refs help OKC make the Finals. I remember Duncan/Popovich complaining about the refereeing in the WCF. Now they're crying, as are all the haters because they don't wanna see Miami win a title. Get over yourselves. LeBron has ascended finally. I understand if you didn't like the Decision (go take that $3 million back from those kids) or the "not 5, not 6, not 7" parade (can't celebrate the greatest free agent class ever?), but your boiling hatred is pathetic. The better team has won this series. Great teams overcome bad refs, poor teams use it as an excuse ( see 2002 Kings)

Bigbadmoffo
06-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Not sure why ppl would e surprised I mean refs have been caught cheating in the MBA before. It's like roofs in baseball or cheap hits in hockey part of the individual sport you chose to watch. No system is perfect and lebron needs a title so he can represent the nba just like Kobe needed his titles. Stern knows what sells and doesn't care what a few conspiracy theorist say.

Bigbadmoffo
06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
The home team has never won all three of the middle games??? Try Detroit 2004 against my Lakers, or Miami 2006 against Dallas. Its been done. As for all this conspiracy crap, didn't the refs help OKC make the Finals. I remember Duncan/Popovich complaining about the refereeing in the WCF. Now they're crying, as are all the haters because they don't wanna see Miami win a title. Get over yourselves. LeBron has ascended finally. I understand if you didn't like the Decision (go take that $3 million back from those kids) or the "not 5, not 6, not 7" parade (can't celebrate the greatest free agent class ever?), but your boiling hatred is pathetic. The better team has won this series. Great teams overcome bad refs, poor teams use it as an excuse ( see 2002 Kings)

Lebron will always be the most hated superstar in history get over it kid! Cry a little more!

Bigbadmoffo
06-21-2012, 05:55 AM
I love how ppl are like stop crying about hating lebron but then they cry about ppl hating him lol. HypocrAtes

Bigbadmoffo
06-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Can't ask for that much from a population whose avg age is like 15. Kids grow up with age though. So there's always hope for the future.

We can always let the kids have some time to vent on internet forums. Doesn't hurt if that makes them sleep better to catch 9th grade classes in the morning.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/634456-nba-referees-fixing-games-blowing-calls-ruining-the-game-of-basketball

Bigbadmoffo
06-21-2012, 06:47 AM
You where saying? 15 nba refs where caught cheating and where dumb for thinking it could happen lol

mark1125
06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
:facepalm:

C'mon.....you know where this is going. It has been beaten to death.

ghettosean
06-21-2012, 07:10 AM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/634456-nba-referees-fixing-games-blowing-calls-ruining-the-game-of-basketball
This is what I don't get it's happened in the past and people like to troll and say something someone in grade 5 would say like "Can't ask for that much from a population whose avg age is like 15...."

There's proof and a ton of questionable calls in this series alone... Westbrook scores 43 points most of them in the paint and he gets only 3 foul calls (also Durant getting fouled twice at the end of game 2 in plain sight and gets no call)... GTFO!!! Heat fans are too blinded by there team to see these type of things. Instead they act like condescending *******s to everyone else who doesn't think Miami is taking this fair and square. These people need to grow the **** up stop with the insults. It's rigged it's happened before and it's happening now congratulations LBJ Stern is giving you a ring!

bedford1829
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
I love how ppl are like stop crying about hating lebron but then they cry about ppl hating him lol. HypocrAtes

That's a very fair point and observation. Haha

natelpete
06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
If you think there is any conspiracy between the refs/NBA, you are a crazy person.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
The only way to think there could be a conspiracy is if OKC shoots about double the FT's tonight over Miami, which we all know won't happen.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-21-2012, 02:35 PM
This is what I don't get it's happened in the past and people like to troll and say something someone in grade 5 would say like "Can't ask for that much from a population whose avg age is like 15...."

There's proof and a ton of questionable calls in this series alone... Westbrook scores 43 points most of them in the paint and he gets only 3 foul calls (also Durant getting fouled twice at the end of game 2 in plain sight and gets no call)... GTFO!!! Heat fans are too blinded by there team to see these type of things. Instead they act like condescending *******s to everyone else who doesn't think Miami is taking this fair and square. These people need to grow the **** up stop with the insults. It's rigged it's happened before and it's happening now congratulations LBJ Stern is giving you a ring!

IMO, It's not rigged. Stern is not telling them to do anything so he can choose who wins and who loses. Way too much risk involved with that. The refs are just very, VERY biased themselves towards certain players, 2 of which obviously play in Miami.

ManRam
06-21-2012, 02:42 PM
If you believe in conspiracies, game 5 has to be an OKC win.

The 7 people who voted for the second option, well, you aren't thinking about things right.