PDA

View Full Version : NBA Superstars Will No Longer Play In Olympics

jmkcool2002
06-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Did you guys hear this story that superstars will no longer be playing in the Olympics?

I hate this move because it's financially great for the NBA but it ruins the US' chances of competing in the future

TopsyTurvy
06-20-2012, 01:51 PM
If I were the IOC, I would tell the NBA to piss off. There's no need to strong arm negotiations for revenue and if the Olympics return to an international game of amateurs I would be perfectly happy.

waveycrockett
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Does the NBA run the Olympics or something? If I'm running the Olympics I'm telling Stern to go to hell. Players play in the Olympics because it's a patriotic thing to do. They dont like seeing the USA get there butts handed to us like we did in 2006

knickfan33
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
good, id rather see college kids playing.

utl768
06-20-2012, 01:58 PM
that blows

olympics were always a really fun thing to watch

Blink
06-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Stern is a joke.

nicegoing
06-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Fake, this guy is just trying to get you to go to his site.

JoeDirt05
06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
usa all the way

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Isn't "superstar" based on opinion? Who's gonna be the spokes person who says wether or not they're not superstar enough, therefor can participate in the olympics?

TopsyTurvy
06-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Fake, this guy is just trying to get you to go to his site.

Huh? I agree -- if that guy's site is yahoo sports and the guy is Adrian Wojnarowski...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-hoping-to-generate-more-revenue-with-world-cup-of-basketball-proposal.html

Stern says the NBA will take time to deliberate how it will proceed in the future, but multiple league and international sources insist there’s little chance the league will ever send its best players to the Summer Olympics beyond the 2012 London Games. The NBA has long wanted to best protect its financial investments in players by better controlling the medical and training staffs used in international competition.

BULLSFAN0810
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm down with this ... Rose hurt... Imo because he played too much ball... I watched him look tired, which imo led to his injury ... Where was his rest? I feel there should be a range in age or years... First and foremost they are employee of the nba, in a sense they are playing for free... So why take that risk ?

Sinestro
06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Should be the players decision

AllBall
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
David Stern is a moron.

That is all.

sunsfan88
06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
So they won't be playing in July?

mgsports
06-20-2012, 08:42 PM
MLB Players and Pitchers should play in it to but they don't anymore so should NFL Players but no NFL Olympic Sport yet.

jrm2054
06-20-2012, 08:53 PM
They cant tell them they cant play unless they start putting it in contracts

ChitownBears22
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
" NBA Superstars Will No Longer Play In Olympics"

Does that mean that Rose can still play?

rocket
06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Stern is a ****ing clown

naps
06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm down with this ... Rose hurt... Imo because he played too much ball... I watched him look tired, which imo led to his injury ... Where was his rest? I feel there should be a range in age or years... First and foremost they are employee of the nba, in a sense they are playing for free... So why take that risk ?

Anyone should be proud to get the opportunity to represent his country in the Olympics. I understand they are professionals but why does everything has to do with money? It's not like they have no money or they are being forced. I am sure Rose can decide not to play and it won't affect team USA to the slightest. Plenty of players are available at the wing.

The goods
06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Does the NBA run the Olympics or something? If I'm running the Olympics I'm telling Stern to go to hell. Players play in the Olympics because it's a patriotic thing to do. They dont like seeing the USA get there butts handed to us like we did in 2006

Pretty much this says it all.

mlisica19
06-20-2012, 09:17 PM
The Olympics and the NBA have to strike a deal. The London games is the next guaranteed Pro ball youll see in the Olympics this summer. And future games are possible but there are talks that nba owners do not want it.

It kind of makes sense,
These owners pay big $$$ for them to help their club win, not for them to gamble their status of health at the Olympics. Also these players are starting to get greedy, wanting to be paid at the Olympics. So they want to drop this sort of Olympic style of pro players.

I personally believe that the Olympics should showcase the best athletes and best teams. Now this does not mean that you put pros together for a month and have them practice (even if they are the best in the NBA) is the best team the USA could put together. A proper team plays together every day for years, thats what this could offer. A person who loves basketball should not really worry about the status of entertainment if pros were not to play. It still will be great basketball...

But I prefer watching the pros at the Olympics, same goes for all sports especially hockey. Owners of all kinds should realize the Olympics is place where your country is meant to shine. But its all greed, from owners and players.

popo85
06-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Good rather see the Laker players be ready for the season and risk any injury.

Whomewhome
06-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Stern needs to retire.

hgtiger32
06-21-2012, 04:02 AM
Talk about the owners being un-Patriotic. Even foreign owners are making money off of something in America. Boo-hoo, let the players do what they want

RiLoc
06-21-2012, 09:28 AM
My favorite quote from Adrian Wojnarowski article (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-hoping-to-generate-more-revenue-with-world-cup-of-basketball-proposal.html):

"The owners would be a lot more comfortable letting star players play internationally if they’re sharing in the revenue," one league source told Yahoo! Sports.

That made me laugh. Mark Cuban's quotes were good too.

I wish owners of smaller companies did that in the real world. "Dear employee, I'd be more comfortable with you using a computer in your time outside of work if I get a cut of the revenue. Ok? Thanks." lol I know it's not the same, but it's funny.

todu82
06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I hope the NBA continues to send its players to the Olympics, always like to see the best athletes in a sport representing their country.

BKLYNpigeon
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
you guys are idiots and know nothing about how the Olympics is a Big Scam.

The Olympics get to use NBA players for FREE and their respective teams takes all the risk. what happens when the player get injured? lets say Lebron injures his ACL in the Olympics and is out a whole season. Can the Heat void his contract??? Nope, they still have to pay him. The NBA a Business, you wouldnt want to rent your best player out for free.

Look at Yao Ming, If he didnt play play for China, he might still have a career.

KingPosey
06-21-2012, 11:28 AM

He had 2 months off right in the middle of the season.

KingPosey
06-21-2012, 11:56 AM
The Olympics USED to be about supporting your country. Now, its all big business. Thats why everyone vies for the chance to host. I promise you its not about patriotism. Countries want the billions in revenue.

KingPosey
06-21-2012, 12:00 PM
The only people with any sense of patriotism are the athletes, who still use the Olympics as a spring board for endorsements.

pd1dish
06-21-2012, 12:09 PM
If I were the IOC, I would tell the NBA to piss off. There's no need to strong arm negotiations for revenue and if the Olympics return to an international game of amateurs I would be perfectly happy.

yeah, well, take away the stars then take away 90% of the viewers. the only reason i get excited for the summer olympics is for the basketball team because its the only time that we get to see the best of the best all play together and actually try (unlike the all-star game). its amazing to see how well they can play together and at such a high level. why take that away? i know i wont watch if its a bunch of guys i dont care about.

BKLYNpigeon
06-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Olympics are a big F-ing scam. its really about Commercial Marketing, making money and selling you a false sense of Patriotism.

heyman321
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
My favorite quote from Adrian Wojnarowski article (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-hoping-to-generate-more-revenue-with-world-cup-of-basketball-proposal.html):

I wish owners of smaller companies did that in the real world. "Dear employee, I'd be more comfortable with you using a computer in your time outside of work if I get a cut of the revenue. Ok? Thanks." lol I know it's not the same, but it's funny.

wtf are you talking about, that's not the same at all. The owners essentially own the players, they are paying them millions of dollars under multi year contracts. If one of the players gets hurt, will the owner be compensated? NO.

TopsyTurvy
06-21-2012, 12:49 PM
yeah, well, take away the stars then take away 90% of the viewers. the only reason i get excited for the summer olympics is for the basketball team because its the only time that we get to see the best of the best all play together and actually try (unlike the all-star game). its amazing to see how well they can play together and at such a high level. why take that away? i know i wont watch if its a bunch of guys i dont care about.

I think you kind of misinterpreted what I said. The point of the article is that the NBA is looking at creating a World Cup of basketball and reserving stars for that in lieu of the Olympics so the NBA executives can enjoy another revenue stream, control star assets, etc. The stars will play internationally (the NBA needs that to grow the sport), just not in the Olympics.

whitemamba33
06-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Regardless of why they are doing it, I've NEVER agreed with pro players taking part in the Olympics. It's supposed to be an amateur competition.

RiLoc
06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
"The owners would be a lot more comfortable letting star players play internationally if they’re sharing in the revenue," one league source told Yahoo! Sports.

I wish owners of smaller companies did that in the real world. "Dear employee, I'd be more comfortable with you using a computer in your time outside of work if I get a cut of the revenue. Ok? Thanks." lol I know it's not the same, but it's funny.wtf are you talking about, that's not the same at all. The owners essentially own the players, they are paying them millions of dollars under multi year contracts. If one of the players gets hurt, will the owner be compensated? NO.Whoaaa, settle down, I didn't say it was the same, I said "it's not the same, but it's funny."

The owners reason for the under-23 rule, albeit vague, has been about players getting hurt and fatigued. However, if the owners pass the under-23 rule then create their own "The World Cup of Basketball", then the reason has nothing to do with player fatigue and injuries, the real reason is transparent, they just wanted the money that currently goes to the Olympics.

It's not surprising, it's not bad business and it would probably make basketball more popular, I just think it's funny.