PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Top 25 Playoff Perforances

ManRam
06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Fun little read.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8068148/nba-playoffs-top-25-performances-ever

I'm not going to quote it because it's long...so click on the link.

Top 5:

1. Magic Johnson, Lakers: 1980 NBA Finals, Game 6
2. Michael Jordan, Bulls: 1997 NBA Finals, Game 5 (flu game)
3. Michael Jordan, Bulls: 1986 Eastern Conference first round, Game 2
4. LeBron James, Cavaliers: 2007 Eastern Conference finals, Game 5
5. James Worthy, Lakers: 1988 NBA Finals, Game 7

MJ is on the list 8 times.
LeBron and Barkley are on it 3 times.
Magic, Wade, Duncan, Kobe, Rondo, Ford, Isiah, Dirk, Shaq, Hakeem, Worthy all on it once.

CB29
06-20-2012, 01:00 PM
The Magic and Michael ones were awesome but for my money that Lebron performance against the pistons was the best one ever...

The magic one gets more importance cause they won the title and same with the flu game... The 63 was the highest score against an extremely dominant celtics team but scoring the last 29/30 points and like 24 in a row i think was just an incredible thing to watch...

Isiah at #15 was an extreemly underrated one too... He almost made you believe that the Pistons were gonna win the title and he was severely hurt too... That one was very close to the flu game performance by MJ.

JordansBulls
06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
to me the ones that eventually led to a title have to be the top ones. But that is just my opinion. To me Lebron's game 6 vs Boston should go up the list if Miami wins the title this year.

ManRam
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
to me the ones that eventually led to a title have to be the top ones. But that is just my opinion. To me Lebron's game 6 vs Boston should go up the list if Miami wins the title this year.

How does something in the future impact how great of an individual effort something was? I don't think it does.

What LeBron did in game 6 is equally as impressive if they win the Finals as it would be if they don't win the Finals. Nothing changes about how great he was.

That logic applies to all cases IMO.

JordansBulls
06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
How does something in the future impact how great of an individual effort something was? I don't think it does.

What LeBron did in game 6 is equally as impressive if they win the Finals as it would be if they don't win the Finals. Nothing changes about how great he was.

That logic applies to all cases IMO.

Because you can say that performance led to a title. And without that performance they don't win a title.

JordansBulls
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Honestly I would rate MJ's 1998 game 6 higher than his 1997 game 5 due to Pippen being injured in that game.

Also people forget in that game 6 in 1980 that Magic had 42/15/7 which was outstanding but Wilkes never gets any credit when he had 37 and 10 the same game.

kdspurman
06-20-2012, 01:27 PM
How Tim's Game 6 from the 2003 Finals is not on the list is beyond me.

21 points, 20 rebounds, 8 blocks, 10 assists.

He actually had 2 more blocks that got credited to D-Rob I think so essentially should've had a quadruple double, but even without that still pretty impressive numbers.

LAKERMANIA
06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm kind of surprised Kobe and Shaq are only on it once...

bears88
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
The 2012 postseason has featured two instant-classic performances: Rajon Rondo's amazing 44-8-10 game and LeBron James' cold-blooded 45-15-5 follow-up to save Miami's season.

To put these games into perspective, we asked our writers to select the best playoff performances ever in the modern era, 1978 to 2012.

Here are our selections for the Top 25:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8068148/nba-playoffs-top-25-performances-ever

natelpete
06-20-2012, 02:59 PM
I can dig it

JordansBulls
06-20-2012, 03:01 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=731681

Sinestro
06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Jordan has a LOT I feel that Shaq should have more

Sinestro
06-20-2012, 03:05 PM
I can't help but feel that Shaq should be on here more than once

ManRam
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM

I was surprised too. I went and started looking at some of his gamelogs...nothing jumped out immediately. Granted, I only looked for a few seconds.

HouRealCoach
06-20-2012, 03:12 PM

I was surprised too. I went and started looking at some of his gamelogs...nothing jumped out immediately. Granted, I only looked for a few seconds.

Every one of h ok s playoff games during that 3peat were video game like monster stats... He should be on here more than once

HouRealCoach
06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
& also Kevin Garnetts game 7 against sacramento was epic and i think it was on his birthday too... special moment

JordansBulls
06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Not sure why some of these of MJ's are here over others of his. 1992 Game 1 vs Portland with 35 in the first half should be on here. 1991 Game 2 vs the Lakers where he made 13 FG's in a row and was 15-18 from the field should be on here. Or even 1992 game 5 @ Portand where he scored 46 on the road to give Chicago the 3-2 lead in the series. Those should be on the list vs some of the ones they put for MJ himself.

LAKERMANIA
06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Not sure why some of these of MJ's are here over others of his. 1992 Game 1 vs Portland with 35 in the first half should be on here. 1991 Game 2 vs the Lakers where he made 13 FG's in a row and was 15-18 from the field should be on here. Or even 1992 game 5 @ Portand where he scored 46 on the road to give Chicago the 3-2 lead in the series. Those should be on the list vs some of the ones they put for MJ himself.

I love MJ and all but I think he's on there enough... Kobe and Shaq both got robbed.. But hey at least ESPN conveniently remembered Lebron's playoff performances..

Bruno
06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
kobes 40-8-8-2-2 on 47% FG, 8/8 FT's in game one of the 2009 NBA finals against the NBAs top ranked defense doesn't crack top 25? interesting.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200906040LAL.html

ChicagoJ
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I would have thought Kobe would have more on there.

BigBlueCrew
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
This isnt all filled with Lebron James from 1 to 25? Haterz!

NYKalltheway
06-20-2012, 05:17 PM
list is quite bad

pd7631
06-20-2012, 05:20 PM
No love for AI in game 1 of the 01' Finals? Terrible list.

Sssmush
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Fun little read.

I'm not going to quote it because it's long...so click on the link.

Top 5:

1. Magic Johnson, Lakers: 1980 NBA Finals, Game 6
2. Michael Jordan, Bulls: 1997 NBA Finals, Game 5 (flu game)
3. Michael Jordan, Bulls: 1986 Eastern Conference first round, Game 2
4. LeBron James, Cavaliers: 2007 Eastern Conference finals, Game 5
5. James Worthy, Lakers: 1988 NBA Finals, Game 7

MJ is on the list 8 times.
LeBron and Barkley are on it 3 times.
Magic, Wade, Duncan, Kobe, Rondo, Ford, Isiah, Dirk, Shaq, Hakeem, Worthy all on it once.

there it is, right at the top of the list. Dwayne Wade, game 3, 2006 Finals.

42 pts on a night with 18 FTs. Legendary...

Sssmush
06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
jeez. I can't help but noticing that all of those (admittedly awesome) individual performances, the player got at LEAST 10 FTs, and usually far closer to 20 or 25 FTs.

lots of 14 of 18 FTs, or 22 of 24 FTs and equalling out to 48 pts.

I think Westbrook's performance honestly has to overshadow most of those performances, at least as far as fans are concerned. I understand their spin, but I think it is having the opposite effect on me...

Actually the Jordan first round 1988 game was the sole exception, where he made 7-7 FTs, on 24-45 shooting, for 55 pts.

Sssmush
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
jeez. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Westbrook didn't just have the equivalent of a 60 pt game in a losing effort...

pretty amazing if not strange...

Sssmush
06-20-2012, 06:07 PM
I looked through that entire list, and there are only SEVEN games where the player scored 20 field goals.

4 Jordan, 1 Lebron, 1 Shaq, and 1 Barkley.

Add Westbrook right near the top of that list, imo, just to be fair.

Sssmush
06-20-2012, 06:12 PM
I mean, Bulls vs Celtics, 1986, Jordan's line is:

22-41 FG, 19-21 FT, 63 pts.

Bird says "that was God disguised as Michael Jordan." What the hell would Bird say about Game 4 of the 2012 Finals? With Wade and Lebron guarding him, instead of freakin' Bird?

Sssmush
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
if I'm not mistaken, the only better FG% on that whole list that's better than what Westbrook did last night is Shaq going 21-31 and scoring 43 pts, and going 1-6 from free throw line.

Shaq > Westbrook... but just BARELY

Wow, we saw history last night. However the league seems to be saying "nothing to see here folks, just keep moving. Nothing to see here."

Andrew32
06-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Pretty random.
I can think of many really, really good performances that were left out.
ESPN and the media in general is pretty terrible in terms of giving out good basketball information and opinions.

Andrew32
06-20-2012, 06:34 PM
kobes 40-8-8-2-2 on 47% FG, 8/8 FT's in game one of the 2009 NBA finals against the NBAs top ranked defense doesn't crack top 25? interesting.
That Magic team was not good at defending perimeter players.
Infact they were terrible at it.

Lebron averaged 38/8/8 against them and Wade absolutely destroyed them in the regular season.

That was a great performance but you have to realize Shaq/Kareem/Hakeem/Jordan had many, many better performances and plenty other ATGreats have had many huge performances.

Not sure if it would or would not be Top 25 I am guessing it wouldn't.

The list is pretty random though its not very accurate if they were going for "best".

Bruno
06-20-2012, 06:42 PM

Lebron averaged 38/8/8 against them and Wade absolutely destroyed them in the regular season.

That was a great performance but you have to realize Shaq/Kareem/Hakeem/Jordan had many, many better performances and plenty other ATGreats have had many huge performances.

Not sure if it would or would not be Top 25 I am guessing it wouldn't.

The list is pretty random though its not very accurate if they were going for "best".

Nice to have you back man. You haven't posted since January, should I be surprised that one of your first posts back is an attempt to downplay what Kobe did against the leagues top ranked defense in game one of the 2009 finals.

we debated this months ago, have you forgotten?

Bruno
06-20-2012, 06:43 PM

go ahead and list them.

knightstemplar
06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Andrew32 is back aka 34dayz aka 32dayz aka JingoWolf aka Brian from the Philippines

Andrew32
06-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice to have you back man. You haven't posted since January, should I be surprised that one of your first posts back is an attempt to downplay what Kobe did against the leagues top ranked defense in game one of the 2009 finals.

we debated this months ago, have you forgotten?

Thanks.
Not trying to downplay it but defensive statistics can be decieving.

That ORL team really didn't have good perimeter defense.
Another good example would be the 01 Spurs who had probably the worst perimeter defense ever for a playoff team (literally) but Duncan/DRob gave them a good defensive rating.

It was still an epic performance by Kobe but ORL didn't really have the tools to defend him.

Bruno
06-20-2012, 06:48 PM

no. you don't become the leagues best defense with terrible defensive perimeter players. perhaps James dominated them because he's a phenomenal talent?

Andrew32
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
no. you don't become the leagues best defense with terrible defensive perimeter players. perhaps James dominated them because he's a phenomenal talent?
No, they had bad perimeter defenders.
I mean... Lewis/Nelson... who were their great perimeter defenders?

Dwights A+ post defense/help defense gave them a good DRating but thats more or less a smoke screen.

Bruno
06-20-2012, 06:58 PM

go ahead and list them.

you're not going to list them Andrew?

Andrew32
06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
you're not going to list them Andrew?

I wasn't trying to argue with you.
I think that game by Kobe was Epic/Amazing.

I do think I could probably list 25 that were better but that would take awhile and I am not really in the mood to do it now.

For now I guess I'll just concede it is and if I have energy later I'll try and make a list and post it here.

:cheers:

More-Than-Most
06-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Iverson against Toronto????

21-32 FG/FGA
8-14 from the 3
52 points
7 assists
4 steals

How was this not up there?

I am not a huge Iverson guy but come on

Bruno
06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks.
you're welcome.

Not trying to downplay it but defensive statistics can be decieving.
yea you are. you don't not post for six months, only to come back to specifically say that Kobes 40-8-8 game isn't in the discussion. although, i'm glad you posted.

on the individual level, i might agree. on the team level? no. they might not be elite, but that doesn't make them terrible. you over-exagerate.

Another good example would be the 01 Spurs who had probably the worst perimeter defense ever for a playoff team (literally) but Duncan/DRob gave them a good defensive rating.

haha, read my blog did you? If you really want to get under my skin, you're going to have to present the numbers.

Here's why your argument is faulty. Wings who dominate games on the offensive end aren't just chucking long distance shots (against 'terrible' defensive wings, from the perimiter). They dominate by attacking the paint (which Robison and Duncan occupy, in this scenario). Bryant and Shaq faced some of the finest help defense all series long. Individuals don't shut down the most elite offensive players, well structured team defenses do (and the 2001 and 2009 Magic were certainly well structured defensive teams that worked together and played effective team defense throughout their given playoff runs).

Mickael Pietrus, being backed up by the length of Lewis, Hedo and Dwight Howard is far from being an abysmal defensive front for Kobe to face off against. Hence, why they were the leagues top defense in 2009.

It was still an epic performance by Kobe but ORL didn't really have the tools to defend him.

The tools?

Did the 1997/1998 Utah Jazz have the 'tools' to defend MJ?

Did the 2000 Pacers have the 'tools' to defend Shaq?

Did the 1994 Warriors have the 'tools' to defend Charles?

You display what you claim to be a nonexistent bias when you say Orlando didn't have the tools to defend kobe; there are countless examples on this top 25 list (four of which i provided) where the defensive team didn't have elite defensive players to defend given great performers. Those performances aren't disqualified because the opposing team didn't have the one-on-one defenders necessary to stop those guys, they aren't disqualified because the team defensive schemes were ineffective in stopping the given super-star.

Do you think a defensive wing combo of Russell/Hornacek is that much better than a Pietrus/Lee combo? Even if you do, there's no denying that the paint being anchored by Howard made up for the difference. Perhaps this helps explain why Orlando lead the league in defensive rating in 2009 with a rating of 101.9, while the 1998 Utah Jazz were 17th out of 29 with a defensive rating of 105.4. One team has average wing defenders with no anchor, the other team has average wing defenders with an anchor. Kobe faced plenty of team defensive help most of the time he attacked the basket:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kobe+dwight+howard+finals&oq=kobe+dwight+howard+finals&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=youtube.12...0.0.0.65751.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0 ...0.0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2y4TjxABKo

By your logic, Jordan in '97 and '98, Shaq in 2000, and Charles in 1994 should all be disqualified, simply because those teams didn't have 'the tools' to defend those guys. The difference between Bryant in 2009 and these four other examples is that the opposing team still managed to be the top ranked defensive team, despite what you refer to as 'terrible wing defenders'. If none of those teams had the tools to stop the offensive players, you'd have to admit that the defensive help in the paint that Bryant faced was the most formidable (unless you think the 97/98 Jazz, the 2000 pacers, or the 1994 Warriors had defensive post players as dominant as Dwight Howard)

Bruno
06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I wasn't trying to argue with you.
I think that game by Kobe was Epic/Amazing.

I do think I could probably list 25 that were better but that would take awhile and I am not really in the mood to do it now.
fair enough. PM me if you do it. although, i doubt you will, or could. you'll just jump to another thread where you put up a couple paragraphs of opinion-bash, only to jump out of that debate once those views are challenged with stats and facts.

gotoHcarolina52
06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Charles Barkley in 1994 first round: 56 points on 23-of-31 shooting (74% from the field; 75% 3s; 77 % FT).

:speechless:

Bruno
06-20-2012, 08:13 PM

i can't help but agree. it doesn't change the game/performance, but the context in which the game is evaluated in changes and becomes more legendary.

Also people forget in that game 6 in 1980 that Magic had 42/15/7 which was outstanding but Wilkes never gets any credit when he had 37 and 10 the same game.
fair enough. i never knew that.

did it upset you to not see MJ at #1

since were both coming from the place that context should be applied when ranking these games, does Magics sky hook game in 1980 not get the extra bump due to it being the first truly great finals play, made by one of two players (pre Jordan) who were largely responsible for making the league go global/world famous? Does it not get the bump for being the first dominant close out performance in the modern era? (post 1980).

How Tim's Game 6 from the 2003 Finals is not on the list is beyond me.

21 points, 20 rebounds, 8 blocks, 10 assists.

He actually had 2 more blocks that got credited to D-Rob I think so essentially should've had a quadruple double, but even without that still pretty impressive numbers.

do you consider that to be his most dominant playoff game?

& also Kevin Garnetts game 7 against sacramento was epic and i think it was on his birthday too... special momentwhat year?

can you rank your top five MJ playoff performances? i'm curious.

list is quite bad
how would you change it?

No love for AI in game 1 of the 01' Finals? Terrible list.

check out the guy below, AIs best might have come against Toronto. he went nuts that game.

I looked through that entire list, and there are only SEVEN games where the player scored 20 field goals.

4 Jordan, 1 Lebron, 1 Shaq, and 1 Barkley.

Add Westbrook right near the top of that list, imo, just to be fair.
westbrook completely shut me up with is performance last night. he mad me look foolish for thinking that James Harden was the better player.

Pretty random.
I can think of many really, really good performances that were left out.
ESPN and the media in general is pretty terrible in terms of giving out good basketball information and opinions.
how would you rank them?

Iverson against Toronto????

21-32 FG/FGA
8-14 from the 3
52 points
7 assists
4 steals

How was this not up there?

I am not a huge Iverson guy but come on
that was crazy.

Bruno
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
i'd like to see them do a top 25 for the finals only.

Bos_Sports4Life
06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Bill Russell doesn't get mentioned?

30 PTS/40 Rebounds in a game 7 in 1962

knightstemplar
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Bill Russell doesn't get mentioned?

30 PTS/40 Rebounds in a game 7 in 1962

* Weak era

kdspurman
06-20-2012, 09:28 PM
do you consider that to be his most dominant playoff game?

I think it's up there for sure, but the one ESPN has on here is as well. He had so many in the 2003 playoffs that stand out specifically. At least worthy of being mentioned, but I think the near quadruple double might be in terms of a stellar offensive outing and dominating defensive performance.

Game 6 vs LA with 37/16/4/2
Game 5 vs NJ with 29/17/4/4

Bos_Sports4Life
06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
* Weak era

It's all relative...

But i guess while your at it, May as well disscount Babe ruth :laugh:

Bruno
06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I think it's up there for sure, but the one ESPN has on here is as well. He had so many in the 2003 playoffs that stand out specifically. At least worthy of being mentioned, but I think the near quadruple double might be in terms of a stellar offensive outing and dominating defensive performance.

Game 6 vs LA with 37/16/4/2
Game 5 vs NJ with 29/17/4/4

man- that game against LA is pretty deadly too. i might give that the bump just because it was likely that he matched up against Shaq frequently?

It's all relative...

how old are you, if you don't mind? I don't need an exact age- but, 30's, 40's 50's 60's?

heyman321
06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
It's all relative...

You should. Those balls were probably pitched at 20 mph back in the day.

nicegoing
06-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Jordan's Flu Game is the only one of those performances to have a shoe named after it.

NYKalltheway
06-20-2012, 10:07 PM
How would I change it? Firstly, it's not my job to come up with these but I disagree with the majority. There are many omissions, specially from the 80s and from the early 90s. If I ever have the time, since I've watched most series from 80 till today in tapes (some I've watched over 3-4 times) I could make a rather objective list.

For example:
Dominique Wilkins and Larry Bird in 1988 has gone down as the most epic battle in NBA Playoffs and both these guys deserve a spot in the Top 10 of all time for that.

StinkEye
06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
How would I change it? Firstly, it's not my job to come up with these but I disagree with the majority. There are many omissions, specially from the 80s and from the early 90s. If I ever have the time, since I've watched most series from 80 till today in tapes (some I've watched over 3-4 times) I could make a rather objective list.

For example:
Dominique Wilkins and Larry Bird in 1988 has gone down as the most epic battle in NBA Playoffs and both these guys deserve a spot in the Top 10 of all time for that.

Epic? **** yeah. I guess it was because it was only the conference semis.

kdspurman
06-20-2012, 10:30 PM
man- that game against LA is pretty deadly too. i might give that the bump just because it was likely that he matched up against Shaq frequently?

I can agree with that, although Shaq did pretty darn good too that game (31/10/3/3). Tim's had some other big games vs LA in the post season, but this one delivered the knock-out punch after 2 years of being denied by them.

Game 5 loss 2002- 34/25/4/2
Game 2 loss 2001- 40/15/3/4

Another one (in a loss) was vs Dallas in 06, Game 7 : 41/15/6/3

Federal Reserve
06-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Allen Iverson's first game against the Lakers in the Finals should go down as the best performance of all time.

naps
06-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Wade's game 3 (42/13) when Heat were already down 0-2 in the finals and were trailing by 13 points 6 minutes to go in the 4th that resulted in the greatest turnaround in NBA finals history is at #25? And performance such as Rondo's that came in a loss in a conference final game 2 was more impressive? Good lord!

JJ_JKidd
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
The Magic and Michael ones were awesome but for my money that Lebron performance against the pistons was the best one ever...

The magic one gets more importance cause they won the title and same with the flu game... The 63 was the highest score against an extremely dominant celtics team but scoring the last 29/30 points and like 24 in a row i think was just an incredible thing to watch...

Isiah at #15 was an extreemly underrated one too... He almost made you believe that the Pistons were gonna win the title and he was severely hurt too... That one was very close to the flu game performance by MJ.

Right right right :facepalm:

Magic as a rookie, started in place of a HOF Center and scored 42 points, 15 boards, 7 assists, made all FTs, and this is all in the FINALS is inferior to Lebron's?

Homers indeed :facepalm:

knightstemplar
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
It's all relative...

It was a weaker era. Just a fact.

Bos_Sports4Life
06-20-2012, 11:12 PM
how old are you, if you don't mind? I don't need an exact age- but, 30's, 40's 50's 60's?

(Just noticed this was for 1978 on)

But, a few things..

I think its foolish by saying weaker era, Russell wasn't some 2012 athlete that took a time machine back 50 yrs to dominate. It's all relative...

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 12:21 AM
* Weak era

Yeah, who was Magic Johnson playing center against in game 6 of the 1981 Finals?

Probably some guy who wouldn't even make it as a second string power forward in today's NBA.

Bruno
06-21-2012, 06:32 PM

For example:
so which game in '88 would you say is the best? for the sake of a list like this

I can agree with that, although Shaq did pretty darn good too that game (31/10/3/3). Tim's had some other big games vs LA in the post season, but this one delivered the knock-out punch after 2 years of being denied by them.

Game 5 loss 2002- 34/25/4/2
Game 2 loss 2001- 40/15/3/4

Another one (in a loss) was vs Dallas in 06, Game 7 : 41/15/6/3

man. but if you had to pick one you're going with the near quad-double?

Allen Iverson's first game against the Lakers in the Finals should go down as the best performance of all time.

it was great, but it wasn't even AIs best.

Wade's game 3 (42/13) when Heat were already down 0-2 in the finals and were trailing by 13 points 6 minutes to go in the 4th that resulted in the greatest turnaround in NBA finals history is at #25? And performance such as Rondo's that came in a loss in a conference final game 2 was more impressive? Good lord!

i agree. wades should be higher.

(Just noticed this was for 1978 on)

But, a few things..

I think its foolish by saying weaker era, Russell wasn't some 2012 athlete that took a time machine back 50 yrs to dominate. It's all relative...
i take it you've watched lots of old tape?

pd7631
06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
so which game in '88 would you say is the best? for the sake of a list like this

man. but if you had to pick one you're going with the near quad-double?

it was great, but it wasn't even AIs best.

i agree. wades should be higher.

i take it you've watched lots of old tape?

Given the magnitude of the game....yes, it was. It was also the 2nd most points scored in an NBA Finals game in the last 27 years. Also add in the fact that it was against arguably one of the greatest teams in NBA history with Shaq at his most dominant, and it is even more impressive.

Bruno
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Given the magnitude of the game....yes, it was. It was also the 2nd most points scored in an NBA Finals game in the last 27 years. Also add in the fact that it was against arguably one of the greatest teams in NBA history with Shaq at his most dominant, and it is even more impressive.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200105160PHI.html
this game was better.

The 2001 Lakers were the 21st ranked defensive team for the 2001 season. Toronto was 14th in defensive ranking.

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Yeah, who was Magic Johnson playing center against in game 6 of the 1981 Finals?

Probably some guy who wouldn't even make it as a second string power forward in today's NBA.

HELLO.

I think I already owned this /thread.

pd7631
06-21-2012, 06:44 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200105160PHI.html
this game was better.

The 2001 Lakers were the 21st ranked defensive team for the 2001 season. Toronto was 14th in defensive ranking.

NBA Finals vs. Eastern Conference Semi-Finals

Sssmush
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
alright, I looked it up, and Philly actually had Daryl Dawkins, who I imagine would compare favorably with Glen Robinson these days, as well as Caldwell Jones. Both of those guys were 6'11" and I have heard their names before, so I am assuming they might be able to start on, say, the Bobcats or the Wizards in the modern era.

JordansBulls
06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
did it upset you to not see MJ at #1

Naw, just it is tough to say something is #1 if a teammate in the same game put up those numbers of 37 and 10 as well.

can you rank your top five MJ playoff performances? i'm curious.

If I put together a list off hand probably something like this.

1. 1991 Game 2 vs the Lakers (33 pts, 15-18 FG and 13 straight)
2. 1998 Game 6 @ the Jazz (45 pts, 2nd best player playing injured and who had 8 points)
3. 1993 Game 4 vs the Suns (55 pts, 33 first half)
4. 1992 Game 1 vs Portland (35 pts 1st half)
5. 1997 Game 5 @ Jazz (Series tied 2-2, 38 pts, Flu)

Honorable Mentions: 1992 Finals Game 5 @ Portland (46 pts, hardly ever gets mentioned), 1993 Game 4 vs Knicks (54 pts), 1993 Game 5 @ Knicks (triple double, scored and 18 points in a row from point 72-90 in that game)

These are games and series we ended up winning because if we lose either of these games we probably don't win the title that season.

_KB24_
06-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Where do you guys rank Kobe's 40 8 8 in the Game 1 of the 09 Finals?

ManRam
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Where do you guys rank Kobe's 40 8 8 in the Game 1 of the 09 Finals?

Somewhere outside the top 25 :shrug:

A great line, for sure. But he wasn't all-time efficient with his scoring (34 shots to get 40 points). The 8 rebounds and 8 assists, paired with 2 steals and only 1 TO help a ton. I just didn't feel like I was witnessing something ultra amazing that game. Maybe it's because you came to expect that from Kobe. IDK. I did witness him dominate us, but it didn't feel like an all-time great to me.

But somewhere in the 20s I think is fine. It certainly wasn't better than his 2001 Game 4. I don't think it was better than any of the games ranked 20-205 in this list...so I think it's an OK omission.