PDA

View Full Version : Will ratings plummet if Heat win Finals?

bosox_mattyice3
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
If the Heat end up taking the series from the Thunder, what will ratings be like for next years NBA finals?

I have a feeling a lot of people watching only to watch the Heat fail. So by the Heat winning will peoples attention be turned away for not caring anymore?

Also with the Heat winning does this take a lot of fans out of the game as well? I personally could care less, but just an open discussion on how you think ratings and viewers will pan out if the Heat win.

Granted we dont know what the finals will be next year, but we all know the ratings were down majorly before the Heat.

JordansBulls
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
If the Heat end up taking the series from the Thunder, what will ratings be like for next years NBA finals?

I have a feeling a lot of people watching only to watch the Heat fail. So by the Heat winning will peoples attention be turned away for not caring anymore?

Also with the Heat winning does this take a lot of fans out of the game as well? I personally could care less, but just an open discussion on how you think ratings and viewers will pan out if the Heat win.

Granted we dont know what the finals will be next year, but we all know the ratings were down majorly before the Heat.

Honestly I would think Game 5 ratings won't be as high as the other games now because many feel the Heat will win.

310Casper
06-20-2012, 12:53 PM
After 2 decades of watching the nba, this is one of the most rigged series I've watched.

Wade cries after every single play, its made me hate him 100x more.
And the calls have favored miami wayyyyy too much for it to be blatantly obvious who the league wants to win.

Just like barry bonds had an asterisk next to his home run title, this miami championship will always have an asterisk next to it in the eyes of most nba fans. Lebron will still be truly ring-less until he earns it the right way.

Miami should voluntarily surrender this championship if they have any respect left in them.

zB_#85
06-20-2012, 12:56 PM

this could happen. I think alot of people are tuning in to see the Heat fail. I was at a bar the other day watching the game and it was amazing how many people who really aren't huge basketball fans were cheering against the heat (in particular LeBron).

I will cancel my NBA league pass if they win. Sounds childish I know, but I pay good money for that and I don't want to give my money to the league as long as they are champs. I am entitled to that opinion. No apparel purchases, no league pass.

It's not so much that I hate LeBron (though I do), it's the whole idea of the Heat I don't like. Teaming up to take the easy way out, the decision, the pep rally that they declared themselves champions before they played a single game, their cockiness against Dallas last year (mocking Dirk when he was sick), they just rub me wrong. I also hate the fact that they really aren't that good at basketball. What I mean by that is that they can't shoot very well outside of 18 feet (I've never seen 2 superstars take more airballs), they aren't coached very well, and the pieces just don't fit. Their chemistry isn't that great, they go through stretches that they are VERY BAD in the halfcourt. In transition they are second to none, but it's not just a track meet, it's basketball. They will win this title strictly off of athletisicsm. Good for them and congrats to their fans, but that's not what I like. I'd rather see work ethic, teamwork, and the humble guy (Durant) prevail. If Miami had Boston's work ethic and coaching they would go 82-0. That's why I don't like them, they are too cocky and reliant on their athleticism to put in the work of a Boston, OKC, or San Antonio. I would have rather seen the more deserving teams win.

TylerSL
06-20-2012, 12:58 PM
After 2 decades of watching the nba, this is one of the most rigged series I've watched.

And the calls have favored miami wayyyyy too much for it to be blatantly obvious who the league wants to win.

Just like barry bonds had an asterisk next to his home run title, this miami championship will always have an asterisk next to it in the eyes of most nba fans. Lebron will still be truly ring-less until he earns it the right way.

Miami should voluntarily surrender this championship if they have any respect left in them.

this will only have an asterisk because to some fans because they cant accept the fact that Miami wins. Cry more..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

justinnum1
06-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Honestly I would think Game 5 ratings won't be as high as the other games now because many feel the Heat will win.

Which is one of the reasons i think all the epsn analysts are saying that all the pressure is on miami and wade, and if it gets back to OKC, the thunder would be favorites in game 6 and 7.

TylerSL
06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
but to the point of the thread. No, people will still watch. They will do exactly what that crybaby who said "Miami should surrender the title" is doing. They will try to say **** like "lets see if Lebron can win the right way", or they will say, "Yea Rose was out for Chicago, Dwight out for Orlando, both Green and Bradley out for Boston, Miami was handed the East. Lets see if they can win it next year."

daleja424
06-20-2012, 01:03 PM
this could happen. I think alot of people are tuning in to see the Heat fail. I was at a bar the other day watching the game and it was amazing how many people who really aren't huge basketball fans were cheering against the heat (in particular LeBron).

I will cancel my NBA league pass if they win. Sounds childish I know, but I pay good money for that and I don't want to give my money to the league as long as they are champs. I am entitled to that opinion. No apparel purchases, no league pass.

It's not so much that I hate LeBron (though I do), it's the whole idea of the Heat I don't like. Teaming up to take the easy way out, the decision, the pep rally that they declared themselves champions before they played a single game, their cockiness against Dallas last year (mocking Dirk when he was sick), they just rub me wrong. I also hate the fact that they really aren't that good at basketball. What I mean by that is that they can't shoot very well outside of 18 feet (I've never seen 2 superstars take more airballs), they aren't coached very well, and the pieces just don't fit. Their chemistry isn't that great, they go through stretches that they are VERY BAD in the halfcourt. In transition they are second to none, but it's not just a track meet, it's basketball. They will win this title strictly off of athletisicsm. Good for them and congrats to their fans, but that's not what I like. I'd rather see work ethic, teamwork, and the humble guy (Durant) prevail. If Miami had Boston's work ethic and coaching they would go 82-0. That's why I don't like them, they are too cocky and reliant on their athleticism to put in the work of a Boston, OKC, or San Antonio. I would have rather seen the more deserving teams win.

NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE... worked harder than lebron and the HEAT since last year finals. Lebron was in the gym working on post moves hour after hour, day after day. You wanna talk about Cocky? Go watch Russ Westbrook and Serge Ibaka...

You can try to rationalize your hatred all you want... but Miami HAS played extremely intelligent TEAM basketball on both ends of the court. And if you see differently, I would encourage you to let go of your anger bc you are missing some very special basketball.

ackar

Wait.... what??? DERP DERP DERP...Uh NO!

felixng2012
No they will keep watching to see if the Heat will lose next year.

BKLYNpigeon
06-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Euro Cup > NBA Finals.

CB29
06-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah i think so.. A lot of non regular fans are lebron haters so i think its a safe bet

ackar
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Not a Heat fan but i kinda of hope they win...so next when the Bulls knock them off it be all the more sweeter!!!

daleja424
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
anyways... people may stop watching... and that is their perogative... but it really speaks to how pathetic some peoples lives are.

There are three reasons to tune in to the Finals:
1. You are a HEAT fan
2. You are a Thunder fan
3. You are a fan of basketball

If any of those apply to you, then you will still watch game 5. If those don't apply and you are only watching b/c it makes your life feel better when the HEAT fail at something... GROW UP and dont let the door hit you on your way out.

Those are the true bandwagoners. For every 1 person that became a new HEAT fan b/c of the decision there are 4 more than jumped on the hate Lebron bandwagon. Funny how we never talk about THAT bandwagon...

BKLYNpigeon
06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=ackar;22589136]Not a Heat fan but i kinda of hope they win...so next when the Bulls knock them off it be all the more sweeter!!![/QUOTE

Its going to be another your for Rose to come back healthy, so its going to be awhile.

Lo Porto
06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I think it's kind of funny how somebody hates Miami because Wade complains too much. Have you seen Westbrook in this series? The guy complains and throws more tantrums than anybody I've ever seen.

Seems like a lot of people just want to have somebody to hate. Miami made it easy when they joined forces, but what LeBron is doing right now deserves respect. Wade and Bosh are not that good. LeBron is playing incredible basketball love him or hate him.

bucketss
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM

bwhahhahaha, fact of the matter is this series isn't even close to being rigged, but its just killing you inside that miami is so close i can smell the desperation from here this title WIL NOT have an asterisk don't say "most nba fans" just most haters including yourself. You guys are just getting incredibly desperate at this point ahhaha this is so rich im loving it!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM

LOLzzzzzzzzzz.

Big Zo
06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
People didn't stop watching when the Lakers and Celtics won a billion championships between themselves. The NBA has always been about dynasties, and if people didn't get bored with those two, they shouldn't get bored now.

zB_#85
06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE... worked harder than lebron and the HEAT since last year finals. Lebron was in the gym working on post moves hour after hour, day after day. You wanna talk about Cocky? Go watch Russ Westbrook and Serge Ibaka...

You can try to rationalize your hatred all you want... but Miami HAS played extremely intelligent TEAM basketball on both ends of the court. And if you see differently, I would encourage you to let go of your anger bc you are missing some very special basketball.

haha I'm not saying that they didn't work. They're paid millions per year to work so they damn well better but I don't think they play the right way like Boston/OKC/SAS. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to prefer a certain style of play. I also don't have to rationalize my dislike of that team to anyone. I have reasons I don't like them and that's that. Just like you do have reasons you like them. I said in my post "good for them and their fans if they win" but it still won't make me like them. I'm not missing any "special" basketball, I'm watching every game.

I'll watch next year too, but what I said in reference to the OP's question on how the Heat's winning will affect how fans watch and react is that I will not give the NBA any revenue through my usual habits of purchasing league pass and buying 3-5 jerseys every year. Whether it sounds stupid or not that's my decision and that is how the Heat winning will affect my habits as an NBA fan which is what this thread is about. I don't bash you for being a Heat fan and try to talk you out of it so don't do it to me for disliking them. At least I listed reasons unlike some others who hate them just to hate them (the bandwagoners you speak of)...

Da Knicks
anyways... people may stop watching... and that is their perogative... but it really speaks to how pathetic some peoples lives are.

There are three reasons to tune in to the Finals:
1. You are a HEAT fan
2. You are a Thunder fan
3. You are a fan of basketball

If any of those apply to you, then you will still watch game 5. If those don't apply and you are only watching b/c it makes your life feel better when the HEAT fail at something... GROW UP and dont let the door hit you on your way out.

Those are the true bandwagoners. For every 1 person that became a new HEAT fan b/c of the decision there are 4 more than jumped on the hate Lebron bandwagon. Funny how we never talk about THAT bandwagon...

I used to coach when i had the chance now im way to busy to put the full effort a coach needs to teach kids the right way to play. I like teaching kids to play half court basketball and for my bigs to play back to the basket. Like for my wings to be automatic from mid range and when the three presents itself if wide open to have full confidence in knocking it down. These finals go against almost everything I preach so i pass on watching and i tell my nephews to treat it more like entertainment (wwe) than a real game. Dont want them to get confused on what i still teach them.

utl768

:facepalm:

zB_#85
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
i used to coach when i had the chance now im way to busy to put the full effort a coach needs to teach kids the right way to play. i like teaching kids to play half court basketball and for my bigs to play back to the basket. Like for my wings to be automatic from mid range and when the three presents itself if wide open to have full confidence in knocking it down. These finals go against almost everything i preach so i pass on watching and i tell my nephews to treat it more like entertainment (wwe) than a real game. Dont want them to get confused on what i still teach them.

thank you!!!

bucketss
06-20-2012, 01:23 PM
:facepalm: <----- im not face palming, im covering my noise because it reeks of desperation in here, the smell can be described as a mix of sweat,tears, and diarrhea

torocan
06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
It's not so much about the Heat winning the finals that will reduce how much basketball I watch next year, it's more about the superstar calls that make me want to watch less basketball.

I liked to watch the Clippers early in the season. Then the superstar calls for Griffin started getting so annoying I couldn't stand to watch the games anymore.

I'll watch plenty of Knicks games next year. I'll probably watch the odd Bulls game (depending on who they get for a PG).

I'll keep watching OKC simply because I like seeing young players develop.

As for watching the Heat? I'll turn on the games now and then, but I'll turn them off when the officiating starts to turn my stomache too much.

The tragedy of the whole officiating thing is I really do enjoy watching Wade and Lebron play when they shut up and play the game. They're stupendous generational athletes.

The referees are turning me off the NBA... one game at a time.

bucketss
06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
It's not so much about the Heat winning the finals that will reduce how much basketball I watch next year, it's more about the superstar calls that make me want to watch less basketball.

I liked to watch the Clippers early in the season. Then the superstar calls for Griffin started getting so annoying I couldn't stand to watch the games anymore.

I'll watch plenty of Knicks games next year. I'll probably watch the odd Bulls game (depending on who they get for a PG).

I'll keep watching OKC simply because I like seeing young players develop.

As for watching the Heat? I'll turn on the games now and then, but I'll turn them off when the officiating starts to turn my stomache too much.

The tragedy of the whole officiating thing is I really do enjoy watching Wade and Lebron play when they shut up and play the game. They're stupendous generational athletes.

The referees are turning me off the NBA... one game at a time.

same griffin that gets the most hits without a call i've seen the past two seasons? i think he's also leading the league with flagarent fouls committed on him, still only averages 7 ft attempts a game:facepalm:

JordansBulls
06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Wade and Bosh are not that good.

utl768
06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
itll go down because alot of the people who are watching are heat haters and if the heat win the title they will all be too butthurt to continue watching

bucketss
06-20-2012, 01:31 PM

:clap:

bucketss
06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
itll go down because alot of the people who are watching are heat haters and if the heat win the title they will all be too butthurt to continue watching

LOL true, just read through this thread the desperation levels are going through the roof

torocan
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
same griffin that gets the most hits without a call i've seen the past two seasons? i think he's also leading the league with flagarent fouls committed on him, still only averages 7 ft attempts a game:facepalm:

Actually both sides of it annoy me.

That he can stare down the refs and hang on the rim and not get techs, and that he gets plowed on contact and doesn't get foul calls.

Inconsistent reffing in general makes me want to change the channel.

bucketss
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Actually both sides of it annoy me.

That he can stare down the refs and hang on the rim and not get techs, and that he gets plowed on contact and doesn't get foul calls.

Inconsistent reffing in general makes me want to change the channel.

was their a point in time where the refs were ever consistent?

LA_Raiders
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
euro cup > nba finals.

x2

bucketss
06-20-2012, 01:44 PM
x2

hey you're the guy who always comes into threads with "lechoke" comments, i got a few new ones for you. lechamp, LEring, Lebling, Lebeast:D

:dance:

torocan
06-20-2012, 01:46 PM
was their a point in time where the refs were ever consistent?

Yes... when there's 2 middling/bad teams playing they tend to call it very evenly.

It's when you get superstars and vets/rookies that you see alot of lopside foul calls.

daleja424
06-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I used to coach when i had the chance now im way to busy to put the full effort a coach needs to teach kids the right way to play. I like teaching kids to play half court basketball and for my bigs to play back to the basket. Like for my wings to be automatic from mid range and when the three presents itself if wide open to have full confidence in knocking it down. These finals go against almost everything I preach so i pass on watching and i tell my nephews to treat it more like entertainment (wwe) than a real game. Dont want them to get confused on what i still teach them.

I swear some people dont even watch they just assume that the HEAT is all flash and hero ball.

The HEAT are the exact opposite this year. The HEAT play inside out with Wade, Bosh, or James in the post. They move without the ball. They swing the ball for open jumpshots. The team has 4 knock down perimeter shooters. And this team plays top notch team defense.

The HEAT do almost everything the RIGHT way...in fact they usually struggle when they go away from playing team ball.

Yes, they do mix in some fastbreaks and highlights too...but you cannot hold their athleticism against them.

To think that some people are actually saying OKC plays mroe fundamental basketball... LMFAO!!!! OKC is all about ball stopping and one-on-one basketball. Watch the game people.... :facepalm:

goose14741
06-20-2012, 01:54 PM
They would never of won, if they do, if this year was a full season. Theyre youth and the thunders youth and energy brought them to where they are. Older better teams oulsnt handle the schedule.

IgglesFanInCO
06-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes... when there's 2 middling/bad teams playing they tend to call it very evenly.

It's when you get superstars and vets/rookies that you see alot of lopside foul calls.

No, the reffing is just terrible in the NBA, even the teams with no superstars have games where bad calls win them a game or lose them a game

But thats how it is, its not rigged, its just inconsistent, the better team might not win every game, but the better team will win every series

Blitzbolt
06-20-2012, 02:01 PM
FACT any game with the Heat will have good ratings because they have 3 super stars.

GREATNESS ONE
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
:yawn:

natelpete
06-20-2012, 02:28 PM

worst. post. ever.

avrpatsfan
06-20-2012, 02:37 PM

How are Westbrook and Ibaka cocky?

mjm07
06-20-2012, 02:43 PM
This thread is hilarious. The comments by the HEAT haters have become atrociously pathetic at this point. Ya'll will find anything and everything to tarnish what the HEAT have been working to accomplish.

To answer the OP's question, even if the HEAT win this yr and get to the finals again next yr rating will always be sky high b/c of the attention the HEAT get. Nothing will change that until LBJ/Wade/Bosh are not with the HEAT. Matter fact, one could argue that ratings will go down if the HEAT are not in it.

Master Mind
06-20-2012, 02:45 PM
It's absolutely hilarious how the detractors are behaving. Asterisk? Was that guy serious? And to compare it to Barry Bonds is "soil your pants" funny. Look I understand if you didn't like a player because they're too good ala Michael Jordan but the way some are reacting to Lebron's every move is on another level, like he sharted in your grits or something geez. But of course people will continue to watch because almost every team will make moves to not only combat the Heat but also a young Thunder team. So no the ratings won't drop.

Dade County
06-20-2012, 02:54 PM

NBA = Entertainment, I guess you are not entertained.... I AM :D

king4day
06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't think so. I expect a Bird/Magic type rivalry with Lebron and Durant. Both teams will meet in the finals multiple times and they will trade off rings. Great rivalries help with ratings.

mark1125
06-20-2012, 03:03 PM
I hate the Heat as much as anyone and their fanbase even more. However, people can whine all they want and say they won't watch the NBA anymore. When the draft is over and pre season approaches, everyone of theose people will be back in front of their TV's and on PSD to watch and discuss basketball.

I will continue to think Wade is a ho and Bron is a diva, but I won't let my disdain for all things Miami ruin my love for the game. I will tip my cap to them and move on.

jam
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't think so. I expect a Bird/Magic type rivalry with Lebron and Durant. Both teams will meet in the finals multiple times and they will trade off rings. Great rivalries help with ratings.

It could go that way. Bird/Magic met 3X in the finals. Not much in the east to challenge the heat for now, and there's a lot of reason to believe OKC will continue to improve significantly from year to year.

But, there's always plenty of action in the offseasons.

As to the OP, I'm 50/50 as far as watching G5. I don't like missing out on social events or even gym time; I've been willing to do so with the finals, but I haven't been watching closely. Too much 1 on 1, too much ugly basketball.

The NBA has always been an entertainment/exhibition league, but like WWE, I find it increasingly difficult to justify multi-3 hour blocks every week to just sitting and watching low-grade basketball.

Jarvo
06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Not a Heat fan but i kinda of hope they win...so next when the Bulls knock them off it be all the more sweeter!!!

:laugh: You do know IF the Heat win they're going to get better with more players taking less to join them. And is Rose even 100%?

Chronz
06-20-2012, 04:02 PM

You should give credit to Tikitaha, the man whos sig youve stolen.

And Ive seen far worse reffed games. No shame in winning if the team your playing chokes anyways.

PleaseBeNice
06-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I havent read all the responses in this thread but of the few I have actually read, it's pathetic. For those of you clamoring about the Bulls taking out the Heat next year, get real. Last year the Heat easily discarded of the Bulls, when, yes, they were fully healthy. SO what in your right mind makes you think the Bulls will do anything to them next year? I have a couple of reasons the bulls wont do **** against the Heat. 1) Rose will be lucky to play at all next season, and if he does, he will NOT be at 100%. 2) As I said earlier, the Bulls couldnt beat the heat in the playoffs last year at 100% health so what makes you think that they could beat the heat next year (or the year after that) if rose is healthy? Miami would just be coming off a championship and lebron will have the thirst for another ring. thats all i have to say to bulls fans regarding that.

another thing i want to address are the people whining and complaining about the "lack" of fundamentals in these finals...really? thats what you're complaining about? You really have to find something to complain about?

And an asterisk? That is complete BS. If your excuse is because of the 66 game season, every team had to deal with that so throw that out. if your excuse is injured players, bosh basically missed a whole series, so throw that excuse out too. and last but certainly not least, if youre going to complain about the heat teaming up, get over it. every championship team had multiple all stars. if you're butthurt about a celebration FOR FANS, seriously grow up.

RLundi
06-20-2012, 04:06 PM
God, people are so butthurt. Honestly, it's really very pathetic. :pity:

310Casper
06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Jordan: 6
Kobe: 5
Shaq: 4
Wade: 2
Dirk: 1
Adam Morrison: 1
Lebron: 1*

Barry Bonds: 762*

Pacquiao: 1 loss*

PleaseBeNice
06-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Why? Seriously.

Swift n Sil3nt
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM

It depends. If we see the NBA of the old and not this superstar driven league (which it currently is), then the NBA could have very high ratings. Although people watch to see the Heat fail, maybe the normal fan will go back to rooting for good basketball rather than the team's failure.

To be honest tho, good tv ratings start with two things:
1. Eliminating Flopping
2. Better Officiating: Eliminate the ticky-tacky fouls, and really enforce the harder fouls. It needs to be called more evenly, both ways. One team (although a drive to the basket team should not have 45 free throws vs. 15). Teams drive because they know they will get fouled. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If that happens, it will be fun to watch. I am just sick of the NBA turning into a foul driven league. It is not fun to watch when the games slow down to an unwatchable pace or when one team clearly gets the benefit of the doubt. It eliminates the true beauty and flow of the game.

MagicHero3
06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
the NBA is just not the same anymore. flopping, driving to the basket and getting "superstar" treatment if someone breaths on u, complaining to the refs EVERY play... Media stewing up stories that are simply not true and purely based on speculation... i think its not heading in a good direction. Stern needs to GO.

Chronz
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Why would you stress midrange shooting? Your coaching is outdated bro, its gone extinct in the NBA for a reason. As a team the worst thing you can do is stress the lowest% shot in basketball. Are you still teaching your kids to handcheck too?

dalton749
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
people are pathetic
as a raps fan if i can cheer on miami to win with bosh going there then certainly everyone else(unless they were actually a cavs fan) should shut up and and not be upset because miami is better than their team

justinnum1
06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
lol

Chronz
06-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Actually it read like this

Kobe: 5**
Shaq: 4*
Wade: 2**
Dirk: 1*

dunkin
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM
chalmers takes over the game :)

movieluver77
06-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes, people are crazy when they talk about putting asterisks next to this Heat championship--they will win--but I think the question of whether there will be a ratings plummet is a legitimate one.

I think it is tough to question that there will be a big ratings drop and that the Heat victory is bad for the NBA popularity but the question is whether it will be a "plummet."

To me there are several legitimate factors pointing to a likely drop:
1. I believe any ratings increase from post-Decision will disappear. What will happen to the pre-Decision fans may be debatable but I think it is hard to deny that any fans gaining interest because of the Decision will stop watching now that the Heat are going to get a championship. LeBron's play will silence critics but I don't think it can win fans; on the contrary, the better he plays I think the more the haters hate.
2. The Heat have almost no competition. Rose is out and even if he made a 100% comeback it is not certain they would be that competition that is needed for the popularity of the sport. The Celtics are clearly too old. The Lakers are no longer what they were. Howard now has back problems and who knows where he goes and wherever that is it isn't likely to be serious competition for the Heat. (I think that is much of the reason Howard backed off on the trade demand; he realized there is no better place to go.) The Spurs seem to be too old. That only leaves the Thunder but I don't think they can keep all of their key players.
3. The officiating has been a turn off. Numerous times even the TV commentators would look at the replay several times and say, "That wasn't a foul" or "They don't normally call that" or other things like that. I am not crying conspiracy or calling for an asterisk but these calls make a huge difference and it is annoying. Momentum is huge in basketball, especially when you are playing an away game and you are a young and emotional team. You get things going and then you have a phantom foul or a bad goaltending call and there goes the momentum. Now that football has replay implemented it is tough to watch a sport where the refs can shape the outcome to this degree.

RaiderLakersA's
06-20-2012, 04:45 PM

True. I, for one, have already told the wife that we're going to have 2 date nights this week, instead of the usual 1. Whatever she'd like to do on Thursday is what we'll be doing. I doubt it will be watching the Heat-Thunder game, as she can't stand LeBron or the NBA in general.

jmoney23
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
I think ratings as a whole could decline quite a bit over the next season or two as a result of the playoffs/draft lottery. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and while some are more ludacris than others, the NBA has had a lot of unfortunate things happen over a very short period of time that has really turned fans off from the sport. There was the whole lockout issue and how everything was handled with that. There was the whole "rigged" issue with the lottery, and while the NBA has way too much to lose to pull crap like that, it is pretty strange that the Hornets won while they were still under control of the league. There was also the issues around David Stern putting a veto on the Chris Paul trade. Plus, the whole issues with Wade and LeBron crying on the slightest of bumps, the flopping issues league-wide, the poor officiating, and the fact that commentators for some major sports outlets show complete bias for certain teams on a frequent basis, and there is definitely a lot of negativity around the NBA.

I personally have become disinterested for the most part in the East since halfway through the Heat-Pacers series, since I pretty much knew the Heat were going to win the title from that point on. I really just cannot watch the NBA cater to its stars anymore, I cannot watch Wade and LeBron cry like toddlers to the refs all the time, and I cannot watch anymore flops. Plus, when piss-poor commentators make comments that show they are clearly favoring one team over another, it's unbearable. A lot of people in the U.S. favour college basketball/football over the pros to begin with, and while a lot of college football fans are NFL fans, the same cannot be said generally (or so it appears) with the NBA. Plus, Stern has become a joke too. I think the NBA really needs to re-brand or change things up, or people will really start to become disinterested in the same old BS.

cubbies7177
06-20-2012, 04:58 PM

alright dude...

how do you know that lebron has worked the "hardest?" did you spend time at the gym with him? did you watch him slave for hours on his body? russell westbrook, KD, and rose all train together during the summers, and i'm pretty sure they train pretty hard because all of them have made huge jumps in ability from the few seasons they've been in the league

everyone came down on me when i made statements about stern rigging the lottery without proof (it's still laughable that some people won't even consider the fact that it could be rigged because stern came out in public and said it wasnt rigged...), so just the same, you have NO PROOF OR BASIS WHATSOEVER FOR YOUR STATEMENTS. If anything, it could have been equally possible that he didn't work that hard and just started listening to the right people. everyone knew lebron had this ability, everyone knew he was going to get those calls, all he had to find out was shot selection. i couldve told him that 3 years ago on the cavs.

TheIlladelph16
06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Actually it read like this

Kobe: 5**
Shaq: 4*
Wade: 2**
Dirk: 1*

I like to call him Adam "The People's Champ" Morrison haha

In all seriousness though, there won't be an asterisks with this title nor should there be. I don't know what that guy is thinking.

movieluver77
06-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Chris Paul thing. I am a Lakers fan so that one really hurt. I think the lottery/ref conspiracy paranoia are crazy but there is no way around what happened with Chris Paul, Stern clearly interferred. That was just wrong! The irony is that if Paul was enough for the Lakers to get the championship, the ratings would have been through the roof and would have gotten even higher next year as either the Heat would have made some moves or that would be the last shot for their Big Three.

Badluck33
06-20-2012, 05:07 PM
how come OKC aren't getting calls?

justinnum1
06-20-2012, 05:09 PM
how come OKC aren't getting calls?

They are a jump shooting team, they are getting calls, but you cant expect them to get as many calls as miami who attacks the rim a lot mor

movieluver77
06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
I personally have become disinterested for the most part in the East since halfway through the Heat-Pacers series, since I pretty much knew the Heat were going to win the title from that point on. I really just cannot watch the NBA cater to its stars anymore, I cannot watch Wade and LeBron cry like toddlers to the refs all the time, and I cannot watch anymore flops. Plus, when piss-poor commentators make comments that show they are clearly favoring one team over another, it's unbearable.

Yeah, when the commentators are making jokes about the foul calls it is pretty bad. There was that "foul" they at first called on Durant. They watched the replays and there was nothing that could even be mistaken for a foul. So the refs switched the "foul" onto Westbrook. So they watched the replay again looking at Westbrook and he didn't even come close to even touching the Heat player. So then they joked that they need to switch the "foul" onto one of the Thunder players on the bench.

ChicagoJ
06-20-2012, 05:25 PM
I agree that some fans won't tune in because most people think the heat will win and many people are rooting against them. But, if it goes to game 6 I bet the ratings are decent again.

Da Knicks
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Why would you stress midrange shooting? Your coaching is outdated bro, its gone extinct in the NBA for a reason. As a team the worst thing you can do is stress the lowest% shot in basketball. Are you still teaching your kids to handcheck too?

lmao how do you space the court so your bigs can operate? lol I used to respect your knowledge please tell me someone hacked your account! If you want your guards to have a long career they have to be able to knock down the midrange. Attacking the basket is a must for a guard but in order to prolong careers they have to be able to shoot...:facepalm:

Mr.ATLHawks
06-20-2012, 05:35 PM

Some people ju7st cant be happy for other people it seems. Heat are getting calls? So you're saying the HOME team is getting better calls then the AWAY team? What? I've never in my life heard about that happening...:eyebrow:

Seriously...All the calls in the world and yet OKC is still in position to win the game at the end. Why wasnt last years Finals "rigged"? What does the NBA have to gain by letting the Dallas Mavericks win a championship? Wouldn't the nBA allow a small market team to win if they were concerned about the health of the league and rigging games?? I'm tired of these conspiracy theories. Yes there have been some horrible calls, on both sides. Miami goes for the contact while OKC avoids it. Pure and simple. Pierce got calls last series...why b/c he looks for contact. Yes the officiating has been bad....but guess what..It is ALWAYS bad, and has been for some time now. So kill those conspiracy theories and either tune in or tune out

StinkEye
06-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Euro Cup > NBA Finals.

soccer lol

NY007
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
In case you havn't noticed more and more people are getting turned off by the NBA either way.

Redskins10
06-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Lakers fan, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo

popsumati
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
stop the hate,

jailedgiantsfan
06-20-2012, 05:59 PM
i realize the extreme hatred for lebron but why do people ***** and moan about them "teaming" up to win a championship. Boston did the same **** but i dont see anyone *****ing and moaning about that.

popsumati
06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I swear some people dont even watch they just assume that the HEAT is all flash and hero ball.

The HEAT are the exact opposite this year. The HEAT play inside out with Wade, Bosh, or James in the post. They move without the ball. They swing the ball for open jumpshots. The team has 4 knock down perimeter shooters. And this team plays top notch team defense.

The HEAT do almost everything the RIGHT way...in fact they usually struggle when they go away from playing team ball.

Yes, they do mix in some fastbreaks and highlights too...but you cannot hold their athleticism against them.

To think that some people are actually saying OKC plays mroe fundamental basketball... LMFAO!!!! OKC is all about ball stopping and one-on-one basketball. Watch the game people.... :facepalm:

HAters, listen to this man and watch the damn game!

Ethix11
06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
LeBron knew the backlash he would receive when going to the Heat. But he didn't care because everyone who had a problem with it would just show their true colors while LeBron would be too busy compiling championships. If LeBron can't be cocky, then who can? Anyway, they got alot better this post season alone so there's still plenty of time to get worked up over nothing.

C_Mund
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I haven't been a fan of the Heat since 'Zo forced a buy-out from the Raptors and signed with Miami and won.
With that being said, I rooted hard for Lebron until he signed with the Heat, so I can't really go against him in a basketball sense. I still don't like them though.

To be honest, if I stop watching basketball next year it's because all of the players are turning into hipster tool-sheds with fake glasses. Seriously, take off the fake glasses.

movieluver77
06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Evidence that NBA popularity will drop if the Heat win...

The absurd media-generated Ibaka incident where they twisted the words of both Ibaka and LeBron to try to create something from nothing. After the Heat win there will be a round or two of LeBron is great stories--yawn. This will be followed by a few reaches to generate something from nothing. Then what? Heat win, Heat win, Heat win--yawn.

The league "won" and got a system where it will be hard to put superstars together on one team, but the problem is the Heat were already in place. Now there is one Super Team with nobody to challenge them--boring.

NY007
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
They are a jump shooting team, they are getting calls, but you cant expect them to get as many calls as miami who attacks the rim a lot mor

No your being handed the series just like every other series, it's pathetic that you Miami fans don't see it.

justinnum1
06-20-2012, 10:04 PM
No your being handed the series just like every other series, it's pathetic that you Miami fans don't see it.

wait for it, wait for it... (http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/2/2d/Trollface_HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png)

NY007
06-20-2012, 10:05 PM
i realize the extreme hatred for lebron but why do people ***** and moan about them "teaming" up to win a championship. Boston did the same **** but i dont see anyone *****ing and moaning about that.

Wrong, they were brought together by trades and pierce was already there. What the heat did was straight up ****ed up and sneaky

FreakaNashur
06-20-2012, 10:39 PM
You have got to be kidding me.

bucketss
06-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Wrong, they were brought together by trades and pierce was already there. What the heat did was straight up ****ed up and sneaky

last time i checked clearing cap was not illegal last time i checked signing free agents was okay, are bosh and lebron your property or something its like your kid disobeyed your orders and married the hipster down the block. They did nothing wrong but your contaminated mind will never get it.

The Flash
06-20-2012, 11:03 PM

Like The Knicks weren't trying to get Lebron and wade or Lebron and Bosh

mania03
06-20-2012, 11:09 PM
haha I'm not saying that they didn't work. They're paid millions per year to work so they damn well better but I don't think they play the right way like Boston/OKC/SAS. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to prefer a certain style of play. I also don't have to rationalize my dislike of that team to anyone. I have reasons I don't like them and that's that. Just like you do have reasons you like them. I said in my post "good for them and their fans if they win" but it still won't make me like them. I'm not missing any "special" basketball, I'm watching every game.

I'll watch next year too, but what I said in reference to the OP's question on how the Heat's winning will affect how fans watch and react is that I will not give the NBA any revenue through my usual habits of purchasing league pass and buying 3-5 jerseys every year. Whether it sounds stupid or not that's my decision and that is how the Heat winning will affect my habits as an NBA fan which is what this thread is about. I don't bash you for being a Heat fan and try to talk you out of it so don't do it to me for disliking them. At least I listed reasons unlike some others who hate them just to hate them (the bandwagoners you speak of)...

Good for you - doubt anyone cares if you will buy it or not. Simple fact is that the Heat dominated this series when the world was thinking the opposite would happen. A lot of people are just angry that the HEAT are about to win a title. Whether you like or not it is what it is and Im enjoying every second and just smh at all them haters haha .