PDA

View Full Version : how does an expansion draft work and how does a new team build its roster?

JoeyBoy718
06-20-2012, 01:52 AM
I was reading about the beginning of the Charlotte Bobcats (don't ask me why) and it made me wonder about how a team comes to be. Now, on Wikipedia it says they acquired young players such as Gerald Wallace in the expansion draft. Wallace was already drafted a few years prior by the Kings so why was he available for the new Bobcats to draft? Also, it says they made a trade with the Clippers to acquire the #2 overall pick to get Emeka Okafer. Wouldn't they already have a high pick being a new team? And what could they possibly have had to trade for the #2 pick? Basically, I'm just curious how it works when a new team is assembled. What draft pick do they get and what players are available to draft in the expansion draft and what free agents are available to sign?

JoeyBoy718
06-20-2012, 02:04 AM
I saw somewhere that each existing team could protect 8 players on their roster and the rest of the players are available for the expansion team to draft. Now, in the actual NBA draft, not the expansion draft, how is it determined which pick the expansion team gets? For example, the Bobcats originally had the #4 pick but traded up for the #2. And the year when the Raptors and Grizzlies came into the league they had the #6 and 7 picks.

bholly
06-20-2012, 02:54 AM
There's more info on the rules here:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q108
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/draft_central_expansion_rules_summary.html

Info on Charlotte's moves and who they picked here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NBA_Expansion_Draft

And an unofficial list of unprotected players from 2004 here:
http://www.insidehoops.com/bobcats-expansion-draft.shtml

Essentially, the expansion team selects under-contract players from other teams to build there roster. The other teams can protect up to 8 players, and the expansion team picks from all the rest. You can't pick FAs, and the teams who get a player taken from them get a trade exception for it.

In 2004, the Bobcats got the Clippers pick by trading away their own picks (the 4th and the 33rd) and agreeing to pick Peja Drobnjak from the Clippers in the expansion draft.

They originally got the 4th pick by being assigned it - they weren't in the 2004 lottery because they didn't have a record from the previous system. What pick they'll get and how that will all work just depends on what the teams all agree on when the expansion team is set up.

JoeyBoy718
06-20-2012, 03:06 AM
There's more info on the rules here:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q108
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/draft_central_expansion_rules_summary.html

Info on Charlotte's moves and who they picked here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NBA_Expansion_Draft

And an unofficial list of unprotected players from 2004 here:
http://www.insidehoops.com/bobcats-expansion-draft.shtml

Essentially, the expansion team selects under-contract players from other teams to build there roster. The other teams can protect up to 8 players, and the expansion team picks from all the rest. You can't pick FAs, and the teams who get a player taken from them get a trade exception for it.

In 2004, the Bobcats got the Clippers pick by trading away their own picks (the 4th and the 33rd) and agreeing to pick Peja Drobnjak from the Clippers in the expansion draft.

They originally got the 4th pick by being assigned it - they weren't in the 2004 lottery because they didn't have a record from the previous system. What pick they'll get and how that will all work just depends on what the teams all agree on when the expansion team is set up.

So they just all agreed that the #4 pick was most reasonable? And in 1995, they all agreed on #6 and 7 for the new teams? And the Raptors agreed that the Grizzlies should pick ahead of them? That's the only part that throws me off. Why wouldn't a new team get the #1 overall pick? Or why not a late lottery pick like #14? Everything else makes good sense to me.

bholly
06-20-2012, 03:49 AM
It's decided by the board of governors, which is made up of reps from the teams and which also approve team sales and rule changes and everything. So essentially, yeah, the teams get together and agree what's most reasonable.
Without being in the meetings it's tough to know their rationale, but I'm guessing they just wanted to balance giving the new team a competitive chance, without giving them too much and screwing over other teams. The team might not survive if it's just awful, but they also don't want to just hand them a superstar. Giving them the #14 isn't really giving them enough - you can't do anything with that. Giving them the #1 could be giving them a Shaq or Duncan or LBJ, which just like that puts them in a better position than teams that have been struggling to rebuild for years, and none of the owners would've liked that. So for the Bobcats they settled on #4.
For the Grizz and Raptors they settled on #6 and #7, and the Grizzlies got to go first by winning a coin toss (which is how they usually split draft ties).

JoeyBoy718
06-20-2012, 04:02 AM
Thanks. That makes sense. I guess the quality of the particular draft class plays a factor too because otherwise why would they feel #4 was most reasonable for one year but #6 and 7 for another year? The level of talent was probably more highly regarded in 1995 than 2004. However, the Bobcats did make out pretty well being able to trade up to the #2 with the limited resources they had because I remember most people being split on who would go #1 that year--Dwight Howard or Emeka Okafer. Imagine if an expansion team could have landed Dwight Howard.

Whomewhome
06-20-2012, 04:06 AM
It is good to be educated, so I would like to know how a contraction would work?

What would happen if the NBA eliminated one team...would all the players become FA?

sunsfan88
06-20-2012, 04:08 AM

How many players can the expansion team pick from the same team? Just one or more?

bholly
06-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Thanks. That makes sense. I guess the quality of the particular draft class plays a factor too because otherwise why would they feel #4 was most reasonable for one year but #6 and 7 for another year? The level of talent was probably more highly regarded in 1995 than 2004. However, the Bobcats did make out pretty well being able to trade up to the #2 with the limited resources they had because I remember most people being split on who would go #1 that year--Dwight Howard or Emeka Okafer. Imagine if an expansion team could have landed Dwight Howard.

The influence of the quality of the draft class is diminished quite a bit by the fact that I'm pretty sure they make these decisions a couple of years beforehand. I did a quick google search earlier and found news stories and forum discussion about the Bobcats getting the #4 from as early as 2002 - 2 years before the draft. It'd take a bit of research to find out the details of when exactly they make the decisions, but it sounds like it's not long after approving the expansion in the first place.

How many players can the expansion team pick from the same team? Just one or more?

Yeah in 2004 it was limited to just one from each team.

It is good to be educated, so I would like to know how a contraction would work?

What would happen if the NBA eliminated one team...would all the players become FA?

From Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:

The league also reserves the right to contract (reduce the number of teams in the league) if necessary. The league needs to provide the players association with written notice of any decision to contract, and the two sides will negotiate to agree on the effects of contraction on the players and the procedures to be followed.
Source: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q108

So I guess they don't bother organizing that stuff until they need it. I think the usual assumption is that there'd be a contraction draft of sorts for the under-contract players.
If they just made everyone FAs, then what happens to the remaining years on the players' contracts? Either the contract gets cancelled - which could screw the player - or someone has to pay it, in which case who?
So I think all the players under contract would remain under contract. There might be a draft with a lottery of some sort, or maybe they'd just make it so teams can claim them sort of like with regular waivers.
I have no idea what they'd do with players that nobody wants. I guess they'd have to void those contracts and split the cost among all the teams? Maybe teams could bid for part of the contract - like with the current amnesty waivers - and then the league as a whole picks up the tab for the rest.

Really, though, with no set rules and no recent precedent, it's impossible to know what they'd do.