PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the banned Adidas "shackle" sneaker

spreadeagle
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM
pic if you hit the link http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/19/adidas-pulls-new-shackle-sneakers-amid-slavery-claims

Adidas has pulled its new shackle-style sneakers after critics called them racist and reminiscent of slavery.

The purple suede shoes were made in collaboration with fashion designer Jeremy Scott and feature orange plastic leg cuffs.

The JS Roundhouse Mids, first advertised on the company's Facebook page Thursday, have garnered thousands of both positive and negative comments.

"Shoes with shakles? This is so wrong and sad. It is 2012 (sic)," Dee Buck posted on the company's Facebook page Tuesday.

Some called for a boycott of the company.

Adidas said in a statement Monday night that the design "is nothing more than the designer Jeremy Scott's outrageous and unique take on fashion and has nothing to do with slavery."

"Since the shoe debuted on our Facebook page ahead of its market release in August, Adidas has received both favourable and critical feedback."

Scott's previous designs include footwear with panda heads and Mickey Mouse.

"We apologize if people are offended by the design and we are withdrawing our plans to make them available in the marketplace."

War on Want, a U.K.-based charity for international workers rights, said the sneakers are exploitative.

"An odd choice of shoes when you consider that workers making Adidas clothes around the world are paid poverty wages, (and) have little or no job security...," the charity posted on Facebook.

D12 fan
06-19-2012, 06:02 PM
If I was Drose/Dwight I would leave for Nike.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
You were watching PTI, weren't you?

utl768
06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
such an overreaction

btw no one complained when nike released the jordan 20 with the same style

http://5.kicksonfire.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/air-jordan-20-xx-original-og-east-chutney-white-black-02a.jpg

Ray_R
06-19-2012, 06:04 PM
People are to damn soft these days. Everything and anything can be racist.

smiddy012
06-19-2012, 06:08 PM
This isn't necessarily racist, just incredibly stupid on Adidas' part. Someone should be fired at Adidas due to their ignorance. Reminds me of the "chink in the armor" incident.

BigBlueCrew
06-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Whoever thought this design was a good idea is a complete idiot. :facepalm:

D12 fan
06-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Whoever thought this design was a good idea is a complete idiot. :facepalm:

:clap:Finally we agree.

IgglesFanInCO
06-19-2012, 06:13 PM
not even racist.... offensive, possibly, but this is in no way racist in it of itself

I would wear em, those are legit

951sucscock4fun
06-19-2012, 06:15 PM
my thoughts are we fans should stop buying nba memorabilla until the nba is no longer fixed due to david sterns antics

Eagles710
06-19-2012, 06:18 PM
roflmao lmao lmao... i think there funny

smiddy012
06-19-2012, 06:21 PM
my thoughts are we fans should stop buying nba memorabilla until the nba is no longer fixed due to david sterns antics

My thoughts are that people who believe Stern "fixes" the NBA are either over-zealous Laker fans or complete wack-jobs. Claiming the NBA is fixed is along the lines of claiming that the American Government perpetrated the destruction of the WTC or that the moon landing was a hoax. Incredibly stupid theories believed by incredibly stupid people.

pd1dish
06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
in no way is this racist. idk how it has anything to do with slavery. all it reminds me of are prisoners in jail especially since they wear those orange jumpsuits, same color as the shackles on the shoe. this is just and overreaction, but i dont expect anything less in such a politically correct society.

even though i dont think theyre racist, it was a good idea taking them off the shelves. these shoes are hideous and idk what idiot would buy them. the only bigger idiots are the guys that came up with the idea and approved it.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Don't think it was meant to be racist. But the designer obviously should have known the backlash they would have gotten.

AntiG
06-19-2012, 06:25 PM
**** was ********

pd1dish
06-19-2012, 06:25 PM
My thoughts are that people who believe Stern "fixes" the NBA are either over-zealous Laker fans or complete wack-jobs. Claiming the NBA is fixed is along the lines of claiming that the American Government perpetrated the destruction of the WTC or that the moon landing was a hoax. Incredibly stupid theories believed by incredibly stupid people.

dude, the evidence is there that Bush planned 9/11 lol

hell, Osama Bin Laden isnt even real...hes just a character that was made up to be the scapegoat in all this. i also heard he was the actual one responsible for the urinal deuce.

ThunderousDemon
06-19-2012, 06:26 PM
How exactly did they think people would react, such a stupid move by Adidas. :laugh2:

ThunderousDemon
06-19-2012, 06:27 PM
dude, the evidence is there that Bush planned 9/11 lol

hell, Osama Bin Laden isnt even real...hes just a character that was made up to be the scapegoat in all this. i also heard he was the actual one responsible for the urinal deuce.

http://twilight.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/133990821617.jpg

Jarvo
06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm into sneakers and its a ugly *** shoe if they didnt have those shackles on it anyway.

topdog
06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
The racist thing is assuming that only black people wear basketball shoes.

That look like stupid toy cuffs. The shoe itself is fairly nice though (if you're a Toronto/Phoenix fan).

ironman9518
06-19-2012, 06:35 PM
such an overreaction

btw no one complained when nike released the jordan 20 with the same style

http://5.kicksonfire.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/air-jordan-20-xx-original-og-east-chutney-white-black-02a.jpg

That's because the Jordan's don't have shackles on them lol. But yeah these shoes aren't racist they are just ugly as ****

SA5195
06-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Not really racist, could be offensive to some but really why would Adidas come up with this?

Racism/etc aside, these shoes are ****ing ugly.

Monta is beast
06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
I think it's funny cause you no that boost commercial where that white girls like "i don't get a phone"? If the black chick didn't get a phone that commercial would be racist as ****, but since the white chick doesnt get the phone its all good. lol.

RANDOM!

spreadeagle
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
You were watching PTI, weren't you?

my favorite show...but I saw this on twitter this morning too lol

spreadeagle
06-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Did anyone think these are made to be nerd friendly sneakers...so tha bully cant woop ya and snatch em off your feet? think on that one

cheaptrikz
06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
ugly sure, dont think they are racist tho

GoPacers33
06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Lol

Lakeshow24KB
06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Lol

This. There's no better way to describe it haha

eibbor
06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Those shoes make me feel persecuted as a white man since I've been to jail before and my favorite color is orange. So racist.

SportsNY
06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
They look dumb. It's annoying when things or people are called racist these days when in reality they aren't.

Ill21
06-19-2012, 09:14 PM
If I was Drose/Dwight I would leave for Nike.

I thought they both just signed long term contracts.

JWO35
06-19-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't find it racist, but Addias kinda of set their self up for it...the most ridiculous thing about the shoes is, they reportedly was going to cost $200+

asmarks18
06-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Who cares if they might be racist? They're hideous! Anyone who would wear those in the first place would never be taken seriously by me. lol.

Chucky Woods
06-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Last I heard Jews were slaves too.

YashBoone
06-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Stop crying about racism. I'm so sik of this ****.... In that case every a black man says ***** to his boys he should get an *** whooping from kunta kinte ....

Phenomenonsense
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
This **** is so stupid. "Omg slavery." when adidas releases a cool new shoe design, but we glorify (or did) those gladiator sandals which represented the same thing. Dumbasses gonna dumbass.

5ass
06-19-2012, 10:15 PM
those are the worst shoes ive ever seen. How stupid can you be to sell them? Even worse how stupid can u be to buy them?

Odominator
06-19-2012, 10:16 PM
I swear the average age of the PSD posters in this forum must be hella low when a collected bunch are claiming that people are too "damn sensitive" or comparing instances of white and black and presuming that they are equal.

Go back and educate yourselves on the legacies of civil rights and how damn unequal society is for people who aren't white. We all don't start at the same starting point despite what ya'll may think. White people get an automatic boost just for their skin color alone. If you are black, brown, yellow, and every other non-white color, you have to work five-times as hard as most white men and women to compensate for your skin.

Of course, most of you will say 'racism don't exist, racism is over with, its 2012 blah blah.' However, institutional racism is alive and well and it's only getting more covert and hidden.

StinkEye
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
It's only racist if you're racist or a *****.

YashBoone
06-19-2012, 10:27 PM
I swear the average age of the PSD posters in this forum must be hella low when a collected bunch are claiming that people are too "damn sensitive" or comparing instances of white and black and presuming that they are equal.

Go back and educate yourselves on the legacies of civil rights and how damn unequal society is for people who aren't white. We all don't start at the same starting point despite what ya'll may think. White people get an automatic boost just for their skin color alone. If you are black, brown, yellow, and every other non-white color, you have to work five-times as hard as most white men and women to compensate for your skin.

Of course, most of you will say 'racism don't exist, racism is over with, its 2012 blah blah.' However, institutional racism is alive and well and it's only getting more covert and hidden.

Tell that to your own people then cause racism even exists within the black community..... I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I am saying that somethings are just fuxking nonsense.... What would Adidas get out of makin a racist shoe? Their market for bball shoes is probably dominated by black people. And that's not even a racist comment.

Why is it that black people can call each other n I g g a all day long and own it but adidas crosses the line with this shoe.... Go back and ask your ancestors, the ones who were directly effected by slavery, and they would be outraged at yous calling each other the n word..... But that's cool right?

Phenomenonsense
06-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Except the starting point isn't the same for "blacks" versus "whites." When you say those generalized terms you're doing the very thing you condemn "racists" of doing, grouping up a people into a whole based off of a sample size. That's how our brain works, we generalize. We generalize that the ground is solid everywhere and that it won't suddenly collapse beneath our feet because that is the sample size or the data we have collected says.

And what you're saying is somewhat true but it ignores the fundamental element of socioeconomics. Yes, predominantly black people are in the lowest bracket, but everyone there starts from the same starting point. Everyone in America, Europe, or most parts of Asia start from a farther ahead starting point than most people in unindustrialized nations.

The biggest problem is the way "social status" is gathered in the culture of the socioeconomic classes that are so low. Social status is given those who waste money on useless material goods over education, stealing/taking whatever you want, and generally "not giving a ****" only hinders that class.

Jint.
06-19-2012, 10:32 PM
turrible

Odominator
06-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Tell that to your own people then cause racism even exists within the black community..... I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I am saying that somethings are just fuxking nonsense.... What would Adidas get out of makin a racist shoe? Their market for bball shoes is probably dominated by black people. And that's not even a racist comment.

Why is it that black people can call each other n I g g a all day long and own it but adidas crosses the line with this shoe.... Go back and ask your ancestors, the ones who were directly effected by slavery, and they would be outraged at yous calling each other the n word..... But that's cool right?

First of all, im not black. Second, my comment is not directed at the controversial shoes, its about the ignorance of the people in this forum.

Second, just because some blacks utilize the n-term when referring to each other, that does not green light other groups to use them.

YashBoone
06-19-2012, 10:46 PM

First of all, im not black. Second, my comment is not directed at the controversial shoes, its about the ignorance of the people in this forum.

Second, just because some blacks utilize the n-term when referring to each other, that does not green light other groups to use them.

I didn't say anything remotely close to that. What I'm saying is that , in general, most of society won't be offended directly by something like this, but because "someone" says that is effed up, then the debate of bs ensues.....

I want to know really how many people looked at that shoe and said , that's effed up, I'm upset now, my day is ruined, and Adidas should pull the shoe?

Odominator
06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Except the starting point isn't the same for "blacks" versus "whites." When you say those generalized terms you're doing the very thing you condemn "racists" of doing, grouping up a people into a whole based off of a sample size. That's how our brain works, we generalize. We generalize that the ground is solid everywhere and that it won't suddenly collapse beneath our feet because that is the sample size or the data we have collected says.

And what you're saying is somewhat true but it ignores the fundamental element of socioeconomics. Yes, predominantly black people are in the lowest bracket, but everyone there starts from the same starting point. Everyone in America, Europe, or most parts of Asia start from a farther ahead starting point than most people in unindustrialized nations.

The biggest problem is the way "social status" is gathered in the culture of the socioeconomic classes that are so low. Social status is given those who waste money on useless material goods over education, stealing/taking whatever you want, and generally "not giving a ****" only hinders that class.

No, there are endless sociological studies and empirical data that supports my argument on the inequalities between the dominant culture, whites, and the marginalized cultures, people of color. In fact, the following are some peer reviewed journals on the socioeconomic gap between whites and other groups of colors:

Anyon, J. (1980). Social class and the hidden curriculum of work. Journal of Education, 162(1), 67-92.

Bowles, S., & Gintis, H. (1976). Schooling in capitalist America: educational reform and the contradictions of economic life. New York: Basic Books.

Lagana-Riordan, C., & Aguilar, J. (2009). What's missing from No Child Left Behind? A policy analysis from a social work perspective. Children & Schools, 31(3), 135-144.

Borman, K.M., Eitle, T.M., Michael, D., Eitle, D.J., Lee, R., Johnson, L., Cobb-Roberts, D., Dorn, S., & Shircliff, B. (2004). Accountability in a postdesegregation era: The continuing significance of racial segregation in Florida’s schools. American Educational Research Journal, 41(3), 605-631.

Caputo, R.K. (2005). The GED as a predicator of mid-life health and economic well-being. Journal of Poverty, 9(4), 73-97.

Claire, B., & Philliber, S. (1998). Room to grow: Improving services for pregnant and parenting teenagers in school settings. Education and Urban Society, 30(2), 242-260.

Cassel, R. (2001). The person-centered high school in America must be a microcosm of a fully democratic society. (Cover storey). Education, 121(4), 632.

Christle, C, Jolivette, K, & Nelson, M. (2007). School characteristics related to high school dropout rates. Remedial and Special Education, 28(6), 325-339.

And regarding your second comment, I am referring to blacks in the United States and not blacks in Africa. Blacks are overwhelmingly underrepresented in higher education and the upper socioeconomic tiers. It is very difficult for people of color to successfully move upward in social status when they are excluded from quality education and educators. Instead, they attend vastly underperforming schools and perpetuate the cycle of poverty by dropping out, failing, and being unable to perform due to lack of support from quality educators.

Actually, most low income and underpriviliged children and students rely on athletic scholarships so that they can get a free education at a quality university.

It is not about how people spend their money or not knowing what to do when they come across wealth, its about leveling the playing fields and making sure everyone has equal access to basic living needs.

Odominator
06-19-2012, 10:52 PM
I didn't say anything remotely close to that. What I'm saying is that , in general, most of society won't be offended directly by something like this, but because "someone" says that is effed up, then the debate of bs ensues.....

I want to know really how many people looked at that shoe and said , that's effed up, I'm upset now, my day is ruined, and Adidas should pull the shoe?

I wasn't as offended by the shoes as many others, but I can see why it could be offensive. I am more offended by the majority of PSDers who tell others to stop being "so sensitive" and being ignorant by claiming that racism is not prevalent in today's society.

Mrphilly
06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Im sure these shoes were not meant to be racist, blacks are not the only people that have been in shackles. Who were they targeting with these sneakers is my question. Why would anybody want their feet shackled, especially a basketball player.

0nekhmer
06-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Who would even wear that? Lmao those fake possibly plastic chains would get in the way of every movement. This is a fashion nono.

Phenomenonsense
06-19-2012, 11:08 PM
No, there are endless sociological studies and empirical data that supports my argument on the inequalities between the dominant culture, whites, and the marginalized cultures, people of color. In fact, the following are some peer reviewed journals on the socioeconomic gap between whites and other groups of colors:

Anyon, J. (1980). Social class and the hidden curriculum of work. Journal of Education, 162(1), 67-92.

Bowles, S., & Gintis, H. (1976). Schooling in capitalist America: educational reform and the contradictions of economic life. New York: Basic Books.

Lagana-Riordan, C., & Aguilar, J. (2009). What's missing from No Child Left Behind? A policy analysis from a social work perspective. Children & Schools, 31(3), 135-144.

Borman, K.M., Eitle, T.M., Michael, D., Eitle, D.J., Lee, R., Johnson, L., Cobb-Roberts, D., Dorn, S., & Shircliff, B. (2004). Accountability in a postdesegregation era: The continuing significance of racial segregation in Florida’s schools. American Educational Research Journal, 41(3), 605-631.

Caputo, R.K. (2005). The GED as a predicator of mid-life health and economic well-being. Journal of Poverty, 9(4), 73-97.

Claire, B., & Philliber, S. (1998). Room to grow: Improving services for pregnant and parenting teenagers in school settings. Education and Urban Society, 30(2), 242-260.

Cassel, R. (2001). The person-centered high school in America must be a microcosm of a fully democratic society. (Cover storey). Education, 121(4), 632.

Christle, C, Jolivette, K, & Nelson, M. (2007). School characteristics related to high school dropout rates. Remedial and Special Education, 28(6), 325-339.

And regarding your second comment, I am referring to blacks in the United States and not blacks in Africa. Blacks are overwhelmingly underrepresented in higher education and the upper socioeconomic tiers. It is very difficult for people of color to successfully move upward in social status when they are excluded from quality education and educators. Instead, they attend vastly underperforming schools and perpetuate the cycle of poverty by dropping out, failing, and being unable to perform due to lack of support from quality educators.

Actually, most low income and underpriviliged children and students rely on athletic scholarships so that they can get a free education at a quality university.

It is not about how people spend their money or not knowing what to do when they come across wealth, its about leveling the playing fields and making sure everyone has equal access to basic living needs.

You do not see the irony of the discriminatory thoughts you have about those racist whites. How deliciously hilarious. Your articles show correlational (or in other terms garbage) studies, or point out the obvious. Yes SOCIOECONOMIC factors of teenage parents and everyone in that class, that attaches itself to that culture, do not value education as highly, but that is because the culture they come from does not value it. You can see what a culture values by what it spends its money on.

And it is about how people spend their money. You say "culture" as though it is a set standard that is not malleable. People can rise above their culture. People can perpetuate their culture. The culture that does not put value on education will not see people striving to attain that. The culture only perpetuates people not valuing education, which in turn lowers the numbers for school, which cuts funding, and so on. My fiance is going to be a teacher and would never work in detroit because of the culture perpetuated there. I would not allow it. I work with homeless substance abusers as a therapist. I grew up in that culture. It is stupid and it holds its people back. I see everyone in my life who subscribes to that culture sit on their *** not reaching their full potential, having the same level of education I got through highschool, and never doing a damn thing with their lives. They spend their money on the things they really care about: Drugs, idiotic "things," and nothing else. I have spent over 40 thousand myself getting my masters degree in clinical psychology and I have 50 more to pay off in the coming years. They all had the same opportunity.

YashBoone
06-19-2012, 11:09 PM

I wasn't as offended by the shoes as many others, but I can see why it could be offensive. I am more offended by the majority of PSDers who tell others to stop being "so sensitive" and being ignorant by claiming that racism is not prevalent in today's society.

Well sadly that ain't just this forum.
I rember getting into an argument in my law class I college years back when some kid was trying to say that everyone in America is born even and with the same opportunities.

Of course he was the one kid in class that his parents paid for college, he didn't work, and was clueless as to why some of his classmates had to work two jobs

Odominator
06-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Well sadly that ain't just this forum.
I rember getting into an argument in my law class I college years back when some kid was trying to say that everyone in America is born even and with the same opportunities.

Of course he was the one kid in class that his parents paid for college, he didn't work, and was clueless as to why some of his classmates had to work two jobs

I hear that. The ignorant ones are usually the ones who experience a degree of privilege not commonly experienced by people who are marginalized.

theLgndKllr35
06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Seriously? I thought the whole concept behind free enterprise was the fact that if some people thought these were racist, they could choose not to buy them, not prevent others from doing so.

Odominator
06-19-2012, 11:38 PM
You do not see the irony of the discriminatory thoughts you have about those racist whites. How deliciously hilarious. Your articles show correlational (or in other terms garbage) studies, or point out the obvious. Yes SOCIOECONOMIC factors of teenage parents and everyone in that class, that attaches itself to that culture, do not value education as highly, but that is because the culture they come from does not value it. You can see what a culture values by what it spends its money on.

And it is about how people spend their money. You say "culture" as though it is a set standard that is not malleable. People can rise above their culture. People can perpetuate their culture. The culture that does not put value on education will not see people striving to attain that. The culture only perpetuates people not valuing education, which in turn lowers the numbers for school, which cuts funding, and so on. My fiance is going to be a teacher and would never work in detroit because of the culture perpetuated there. I would not allow it. I work with homeless substance abusers as a therapist. I grew up in that culture. It is stupid and it holds its people back. I see everyone in my life who subscribes to that culture sit on their *** not reaching their full potential, having the same level of education I got through highschool, and never doing a damn thing with their lives. They spend their money on the things they really care about: Drugs, idiotic "things," and nothing else. I have spent over 40 thousand myself getting my masters degree in clinical psychology and I have 50 more to pay off in the coming years. They all had the same opportunity.

First of, I would like to say that if this is your viewpoint and you have been working as a therapist serving individuals who live with substance and drug use, then I feel absolutely sympathetic for those individuals. In general, the role of a therapist is to provide support and motivation for positive change and recovery, not confidence-deflating counter-transferrence feelings the therapist may have towards their own clients.

And to say that the peer reviewed "journal articles" written by scholars who have thoroughly studied their field is "garbage," is as you put it, DELICIOUSLY hilarious.

This is like the chicken or the egg argument, which came first? For students of color, going to an underserved and resource-deprived schools is whats demotivating and disempowering. Its not about their culture, its about their social environments. It is hard to provide support for low income students when their parents are working 2 or 3 jobs to support their families.

Its funny that you say I am generalizing a demographic statistic of blacks when you are literally no different by pointing out their collectively "lazy" tendencies.

ry31walsh
06-19-2012, 11:59 PM

Racism is defiantly prevalent but part of it is black people being to sensitive about everything. Being real, white people can't really relate being offended the way blacks do. If you asked the large group of white people if they felt black people were to sensitive about race and take out the white people who were afraid of looking racist a large part like 90% would say they are.

From a white point of view other then thinking hey that's kind of racist and if it was the other way around people would go crazy, you really can't offend a white person. You can sell a brand of horn and put a white guy and call them honkeys. Same thing with crackers, and you would NEVER see a group of white people say this is racist to the point were they recall the product.

I don't see how this can be seen as racist for a number of reasons. One how do shoes connect to black people? How isn't there a certain level of racism by saying hey black people were basketball shoes, there are chains on these shoes so they are racist because you know how black people like shoes?

Again being real these shoes were selling for 200 dollars, looking at the economics of the races chances are more white people would have bought these shoes then black. So again how is that racist?

Also slavery has been around for a long time, if your interested in reading up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery

But most races have been slaves at one point in time. Its a terrible thing but its happened. But going back to the shoes why is this racist against black people? Why wouldn't it be equally racist against Jewish people. And for that matter why wouldn't this be offensive to former prisoners?

And if these shoes are offensive why wouldn't these shoes be to wicans
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=99&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1C1DXCB_enUS393US393&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=CsHgG9yuQ-10mM:&imgrefurl=http://www.cracckicks.com/2011/02/jeremy-scott-adidas-originals-wings-20.html&docid=jD0VhguwfmPtaM&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MSUhx-cUiaE/TU8H1VkVUhI/AAAAAAAAC6o/e1nM7_uGNa8/s1600/jeremy-scott-adidas-js-wings-2.0-flames-shopadidas-01.jpg&w=570&h=500&ei=Z0bhT4OyEurp0gHcrZH7Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=713&vpy=96&dur=14813&hovh=210&hovw=240&tx=144&ty=230&sig=104120066429232596788&page=7&tbnh=140&tbnw=144&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:99,i:109&biw=994&bih=620

Wicans were burned at the steak back in the day feet first.

My point is if your offended by a ORGANGE PLASTIC chain your being way to sesative. Your looking way way to deep into something. Also why wasn't "my pet monster" considered racist?

http://brinklj.blogspot.com/2008/04/my-pet-monster.html

gregd111
06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Racism lol.......

lurkinglionsfan
06-20-2012, 12:02 AM
ok the shoes are sick but i wont be able to buy them because people are offened ! wtf else is new .... so sick of everything being bout race but hey people love to dwell on the past

Fresno
06-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Racism is defiantly prevalent but part of it is black people being to sensitive about everything. Being real, white people can't really relate being offended the way blacks do. If you asked the large group of white people if they felt black people were to sensitive about race and take out the white people who were afraid of looking racist a large part like 90% would say they are.

No, its not about being sensitive. Most Black people do not care one way or another about trivial things like the release of shoes with shackles on them. I've gone 2 days and nobody has even mentioned this, until I come on the internet and hear about some supposed "outage" from the "Black community". What community? Where is this?

The problem is that there is such a massive social seperation between African Americans in all walks of life & the sizable portion of non-Blacks who are the ones most interested by things that are alleged to be racist. Because the media is all about creating controversy, these [prodominately White] people are left to assume that the "Black community" is in outrage. This happens for everything that comes out in which the media claims something done or said is racist to "Black people" and it leaves many people thinking that its a significant issue.

Because every little thing is put out there to allegedly be racist to Black people. When something with an actual negative racial bias occurs like the Trayvon Martin incident or Sean Bell incident, people don't know how to properly react to it without brushing it off like its normal.

If you don't have any relationship with any African Americans then you are left to believe anything you hear or see on TV as being how all Black people feel. Ignorance is why stereotypes exist because people allow the imagery of a handful to represent all people who share any relation to them by the color of skin, sharing of belief in a God, or sexual preference.

So it wouldn't surprise me if you think 90% of White people would say that Blacks are sensitive, simply because they only see & hear what is broadcast to them. Instead of people trying to figure out what "all Black people" think why don't you worry about individual Black people's opinions, espescially the ones who you associate with. That will lead you to better clarity on every situation. If you don't associate with anyone who happens to be Black then why would you be talking about how "all Black people" think.

MrfadeawayJB
06-20-2012, 12:32 AM
It think the shoe would look better without the shackle actually. But yeah, its in no way racist. People need to quit being so sensitive

Fresno
06-20-2012, 12:32 AM
ok the shoes are sick but i wont be able to buy them because people are offened ! wtf else is new .... so sick of everything being bout race but hey people love to dwell on the past

Something like slavery will never be forgotten in America's consciousness.

Because that is the exact root as to why social gaps still exist in 2012.

Fresno
06-20-2012, 12:34 AM
It think the shoe would look better without the shackle actually. But yeah, its in no way racist. People need to quit being so sensitive

Yes, there are some individuals who find this to be sensitive.

People need to learn to equate the opinions of a handful of random people across the country don't represent a larger group. That will fix everything with misconceptions.

UnWantedTheory
06-20-2012, 12:44 AM

From a white point of view other then thinking hey that's kind of racist and if it was the other way around people would go crazy, you really can't offend a white person. You can sell a brand of horn and put a white guy and call them honkeys. Same thing with crackers, and you would NEVER see a group of white people say this is racist to the point were they recall the product.

I don't see how this can be seen as racist for a number of reasons. One how do shoes connect to black people? How isn't there a certain level of racism by saying hey black people were basketball shoes, there are chains on these shoes so they are racist because you know how black people like shoes?

Again being real these shoes were selling for 200 dollars, looking at the economics of the races chances are more white people would have bought these shoes then black. So again how is that racist?

Also slavery has been around for a long time, if your interested in reading up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery

But most races have been slaves at one point in time. Its a terrible thing but its happened. But going back to the shoes why is this racist against black people? Why wouldn't it be equally racist against Jewish people. And for that matter why wouldn't this be offensive to former prisoners?

And if these shoes are offensive why wouldn't these shoes be to wicans
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=99&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1C1DXCB_enUS393US393&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=CsHgG9yuQ-10mM:&imgrefurl=http://www.cracckicks.com/2011/02/jeremy-scott-adidas-originals-wings-20.html&docid=jD0VhguwfmPtaM&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MSUhx-cUiaE/TU8H1VkVUhI/AAAAAAAAC6o/e1nM7_uGNa8/s1600/jeremy-scott-adidas-js-wings-2.0-flames-shopadidas-01.jpg&w=570&h=500&ei=Z0bhT4OyEurp0gHcrZH7Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=713&vpy=96&dur=14813&hovh=210&hovw=240&tx=144&ty=230&sig=104120066429232596788&page=7&tbnh=140&tbnw=144&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:99,i:109&biw=994&bih=620

Wicans were burned at the steak back in the day feet first.

My point is if your offended by a ORGANGE PLASTIC chain your being way to sesative. Your looking way way to deep into something. Also why wasn't "my pet monster" considered racist?

http://brinklj.blogspot.com/2008/04/my-pet-monster.html

You just don't get it do you? It is racist because they say it's racist. By they, I do NOT mean "they." That too would be racist.

With all that BS aside, I think those screaming racism are completely ridiculous. There are many examples of racism or offensive acts in the world but this is not one of them. If you think so, then yes you are being much to sensitive and digging intentionally deep on this. Stop viewing such trivial non sense in a racial light. Racism is an important and prevalent issue, but it tends to go overboard & is taken advantage of far too often over such trivialities. Doing so only intensifies the subject to the point where we take a man's, admittedly ridiculous, "art" to such extremes that the shoes were yanked for no other reason than people love something to ***** about. If we could just stop viewing **** like this in racial terms, or singling out perceived racial aspects of anything & everything, it could go a long way in actually curing the evil that is racism IMO.

GSWFanInLA
06-20-2012, 12:47 AM
I think they look nice as ****..

except for the shackle part. But that's what makes it a Jeremy Scott shoe lol

lurkinglionsfan
06-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Something like slavery will never be forgotten in America's consciousness.

Because that is the exact root as to why social gaps still exist in 2012.

ik but i think people get way to offended over the stupidist stuff when it comes to that and blame us for what happened back then , and to be honest racism isnt only gonna go away if we keep feeding into it ,and imo i think everyone does something or says something racist at one point or another (not mattering on what race they are )

Wolfman01
06-20-2012, 04:37 AM
Adidas is running out of ideas and are trying too hard to be creative. What does the chains suppose to do anyways? Are the chains on the shoes supposely to show "swag" or what? I rather put a monkey instead of the chains at least try to make it not so racism against black people.

SportsAndrew25
06-20-2012, 08:13 AM
I really thought this nonsense with people screaming "RACISM" over things like this would end with the election of Obama. I could have not been any more wrong. :facepalm:

Odominator
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
ik but i think people get way to offended over the stupidist stuff when it comes to that and blame us for what happened back then , and to be honest racism isnt only gonna go away if we keep feeding into it ,and imo i think everyone does something or says something racist at one point or another (not mattering on what race they are )

I hear you on that. Ignorance is a two way street, there are many black folks who are just as ignorant as privileged white folks.

However, white privilege is an ongoing issue and IMO will never fade out. Just because there are anti-discriminatory laws discouraging using race as a determination factor, it does not mean people avoid personal feelings/thoughts about others from certain races in their practices. Racism in today's society is so covert and hidden that people tend to believe that it is a thing of the past, when in reality it is not.

Odominator
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I really thought this nonsense with people screaming "RACISM" over things like this would end with the election of Obama. I could have not been any more wrong. :facepalm:

Just because our president is black? We are supposedly in a democracy, not a monarchy, Obama does not have absolute power, our Congress, a majority of them being non-black, and huge mega-corporation billionaires who fund these congressmen does. Guess you skipped out on government class back in high school.

:facepalm:

Shkelqim
06-20-2012, 11:47 AM
who really cares, what it reminds people of. Anything and everything is offensive to somebody in the world. I hate this American bull ****, Proud to be a foreigner :D

TopsyTurvy
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I understand how people can take offense to these but art can be (and often is) offensive.

If I were Adidas, I would have stood firm next to the designer, weathered the storm, and pointed to ANY NUMBER of objectionable fashion statements.

natelpete
06-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Who the hell would ever wear those?

Nevermind, I can think of a few people.

daleja424
06-20-2012, 12:24 PM
who the hell would wear that in why?

The shoe got more play by being shot down than it would have if no would have complained...

daleja424
06-20-2012, 12:25 PM

no doubt there is a ton of racism still...but lets not delude ourselves into thinking that racism goes in any one direction. Every race deals with its share of discrimmination. EVERY RACE.

Stinkyoutsider
06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Good idea for Adidas to remove and not to manufacture the shoe but I think Adidas has got some cleaning up to do for the company image now. If I was an athlete, I would want to distance myself from Adidas for a while until this blows over...

nicegoing
06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Jeremy Scott is a hack, none of his designs are nice. Only Lil Wayne or Danny Brown would rock these.

tp13baby
06-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Not even closely related to slavery, but i mean if i saw you walking around with those shoes i would laugh because this is straight awful. The design until the shackle is not bad.

kenzo400
06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
This isn't necessarily racist, just incredibly stupid on Adidas' part. Someone should be fired at Adidas due to their ignorance. Reminds me of the "chink in the armor" incident.

+1 lol Common sense should prevail here. Just looking at these shoes you can tell there would be controversy if you release them.

Laces-Out
06-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Uglyyyyyyyyyyyy

Corey
06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Racial sensitivity aside, those shoes are hideous.