PDA

View Full Version : Rogue NBA Referee Tim Donaghy Wins $1.3M Lawsuit

xabial
06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) A Florida jury has awarded a disgraced former NBA referee $1.3 million in a lawsuit against the company that published his memoir.

Tim Donaghy sued Shawna Vercher and her company, VTi Group, in Pinellas County civil court, saying he hadn't been paid. The now-defunct company published Donaghy's 2010 book about referees and the NBA.
On Friday, a jury found Vercher's company liable for breach of contract. Vercher and her company were also cited by the jury for conspiracy to commit civil theft, civil theft, intentional infliction of emotional distress and tortious interference with business relations.

A court hearing on the judgment will be held in the coming weeks.
Donaghy said in an email that he and his children were "thrilled" with the verdict and that he looked forward to collecting on the judgment.
"My four daughters are thrilled that the truth surrounding the disappearance of the profits of my book Personal Foul is officially on record," Donaghy wrote, noting the jury returned quickly with a verdict in his favor.
"It was a long wait, but it feels terrific knowing that we prevailed and we are moving forward with the truth on our side," he added.
When reached by phone, Vercher said she is limited in what she can talk about because she and her lawyers are planning an appeal...(continued)

Source-http://newsok.com/disgraced-ex-nba-referee-wins-florida-lawsuit/article/feed/395128?custom_click=rss

Amazing. Getting $1.3M For Writing A Book Dedicated to Disgrasing the League. Love It :laugh2:

ManRam
06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Amazing. Getting $1.3M For Writing A Book Dedicated to Disgrasing the League. Love It :laugh2:

Well yeah. He wanted to make money and go down with a fight. Hell, if I were in his situation I'd write as many books as I could and make as many claims as I could. He's got nothing to lose, and people care.

xabial
06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Well yeah. He wanted to make money and go down with a fight. Hell, if I were in his situation I'd write as many books as I could and make as many claims as I could. He's got nothing to lose, and people care.

What's It Take To Be an NBA Ref? If all it takes to Make 1.3M, Is Gambling on Games you ref, getting caught, then writing a book on it, hell sign me up. :laugh2:

Da Knicks
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
lmao

ManRam
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
What's It Take To Be an NBA Ref? If all it takes to Make 1.3M, Is Gambling on Games you ref, getting caught, then writing a book on it, hell sign me up. :laugh2:

That's a big reason why I don't buy into the league-wide conspiracies.

If you're a ref and you were ever told to conspire and you come forward...there is so much personal gain to be rewarded with. If I was ever told by Stern or his cronies to do anything that would alter a game I'd come forward if not then, but definitely after retirement (or firing, like Timmy). What's to lose? Nothing. What's to gain? A **** ton.

beasted86
06-19-2012, 05:02 PM
How about going to jail and getting beat to a puree, possibly more "stuff" that isn't reported... cause that's what happened to Donaghy as well.

But either way it's nice to see him get his money if he was really due to get it. Hate when these people come up with this "your money is caught up in the pipeline" excuses when they are really stealing it.

John Walls Era
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes. Another one for the bad guys.

amos1er
06-19-2012, 05:31 PM

If you're a ref and you were ever told to conspire and you come forward...there is so much personal gain to be rewarded with. If I was ever told by Stern or his cronies to do anything that would alter a game I'd come forward if not then, but definitely after retirement (or firing, like Timmy). What's to lose? Nothing. What's to gain? A **** ton.

Not the best analogy. That could be said about any high profile crime. Donaghy or anyone else that commits a crime never actually wants to be caught. If they do get caught and there are major headlines, their reputation is usually tarnished plus the fact that they usually face some jail time. However, huge headlines equal huge interest which equals huge $$$ potential which they are usually able to capitalize on through a book deal and make at least a few million. i.e OJ Simpson or Henry Hill who the movie Goodfellas was based on. People don't usually like being in the spotlight and having their integrity dragged through the mud. Thats why people usually never willingly come forward or wish to get caught. Its just that when they do, they figure that the damage is already done and they might as well get every penny they can for it. Therefore the fear of coming forward outweighs the financial incentive.

tapajafri
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Tim Donaghy may be a convicted felon, but he's also playing the role of a good guy by his attempts to expose the NBA for what it really is...and that is a sham. It's rigged. Plain and simple. I can't believe Donaghy got in trouble and you still have refs like Dick Bavetta out there. Donaghy hardly did anything compared to the amount of games Dick Bavetta has tainted. That includes many playoff games, an NBA championship that should have gone to Sacramento in 2002, and playoff seedings. Bavetta isn't the only one either, but he's the king of the corrupted officiating. The NBA has absolutely no credibility whatsoever and it's a shame.

amos1er
06-19-2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZHUlSqPJc

fadedmario
06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Tim Donaghy >>>>> NBA

Chronz
06-19-2012, 06:01 PM
He had his choice of quite a few publishers from what I remember him saying, I wonder why he chose this one. Whats hilarious is if Donaghy had kept his word and not broken trust between one of them he could have avoided this whole mess, but since the company is now defunct I guess the only publisher he had to choose from was a company as shady as he is.

Tim Donaghy may be a convicted felon, but he's also playing the role of a good guy by his attempts to expose the NBA for what it really is...and that is a sham. It's rigged. Plain and simple. I can't believe Donaghy got in trouble and you still have refs like Dick Bavetta out there. Donaghy hardly did anything compared to the amount of games Dick Bavetta has tainted. That includes many playoff games, an NBA championship that should have gone to Sacramento in 2002, and playoff seedings. Bavetta isn't the only one either, but he's the king of the corrupted officiating. The NBA has absolutely no credibility whatsoever and it's a shame.

Nah, Donaghy is a lone conspirer with absolutely no credibility. Many of his claims were proven utterly false.

ManRam
06-19-2012, 06:13 PM
How about going to jail and getting beat to a puree, possibly more "stuff" that isn't reported... cause that's what happened to Donaghy as well.

But either way it's nice to see him get his money if he was really due to get it. Hate when these people come up with this "your money is caught up in the pipeline" excuses when they are really stealing it.

Donaghy went to jail because he dealed with the mob and was gambling. Fixing games internally is not a crime as far as I'm aware...so long as you aren't gambling or profiting off of it.

If I came forward and said "Stern used to tell refs to favor stars, force series to go longer and allow certain teams to won"...well...I'm not getting in any legal trouble for that.

D Roses Bulls
06-19-2012, 10:25 PM

I know im not not here as much anymore, but seriously? you didnt watch the 85 draft, you havent noticed Cleveland who lost a super star including a big Market who didnt have a super star win the lottery over the last decade won the draft....... hmmm..... maybe NY didnt win it cause it was too predictable. come on

Chronz
06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
I know im not not here as much anymore, but seriously? you didnt watch the 85 draft, you havent noticed Cleveland who lost a super star including a big Market who didnt have a super star win the lottery over the last decade won the draft....... hmmm..... maybe NY didnt win it cause it was too predictable. come on
Not convinced. Too much risk involved in rigging the lottery, too many obstacles and not enough of a payoff to make it worth going to prison.