PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats Name Mike Dunlap Coach

black1605
06-18-2012, 09:15 PM
CHARLOTTE OBSERVER EXCLUSIVE: St. John’s assistant Mike Dunlap has been has accepted the head coach of the Charlotte ‪#Bobcats‬.

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell

I'm sick to my stomach.

Official article on it's way, I'll post it here.

Adding random findings in the OP:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA People I respect in NBA always believed Dunlap had chops to be a head coach. Just didn't think it would be a leap from Steve Lavin's bench.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Dunlap's considered an excellent X's and O's coach on college level, well-respected in profession. Still, a huge gamble for Michael Jordan.

St. John’s assistant coach Mike Dunlap is among those candidates being interviewed for the vacant head coaching position with the Charlotte Bobcats, Chris Broussard of ESPN is reporting.

Dunlap, who joined Steve Lavin’s staff in Queens when Lavin was hired in May of 2010, is considered a high-level assistant and filled in as the head coach for the majority of this past season, as Lavin recovered from prostate cancer surgery.

“I enthusiastically support Mike in the process,” Lavin said in a tweet on Tuesday afternoon. “As a head coach, I encourage all of my assistants to aspire to become head coaches.”

He also called the interest “a compliment to the program.”

With a depleted and historically young roster in 2011-12, St. John’s finished 13-19, including 6-12 in the Big East.

Freshman Moe Harkless led the way for the Red Storm with 15.3 points and 8.6 rebounds per game. He has entered the NBA draft.

Dunlap has spent time in the NBA as an assistant with the Denver Nuggets under coach George Karl from 2006 to 2008.

At the collegiate level, Dunlap has been an assistant at Loyola Marymount, Southern California, Arizona, Oregon, and St. John’s, and a head coach at California Lutheran and Metropolitan State.

During his time at Metro State, he amassed a record of 248-50 and made three Division II title game appearances.

According to Broussard’s report, the Bobcats will also be interviewing Cleveland Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts.

Charlotte finished the regular season with a record of 7-59 this past season and have the best odds of landing the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft.

ChitownBears22
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow that is a far drop from Jerry Sloan.

TylerSL
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
wow, over Brian Shaw?

gatkins11
06-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Who?!?

49GiantWarriors
06-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Yesssss!!!!! Does that mean the Warriors get to keep Malone?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
MJ being MJ:laugh2:

black1605
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
wow, over Brian Shaw?

I would imagine Shaw is the one who made that decision, not the Bobcats.

I'm speechless. I hope this was a guy they wanted, and not a guy they were stuck with.

TylerSL
06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
I would imagine Shaw is the one who made that decision, not the Bobcats.

I'm speechless. I hope this was a guy they wanted, and not a guy they were stuck with.

really, I mean, I feel for you guys. Not a hot start to the offseason, I mean not getting the #1 pick, and now this.....

Edit. I've been reading up on this guy, and he doesnt seem like a terrible choice. Hope it works out for the Bobcats. God knows how much they need him to work out.

black1605
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
During his time at Metro State, he amassed a record of 248-50 and made three Division II title game appearances.

Any Nuggets fan have any insight?

gotoHcarolina52
06-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Coaching Experience

1980-85 - Loyola Marymount University, Assistant Coach
1985-86 - University of Iowa, Graduate Assistant
1986-89 - University of Southern California, Assistant Coach
1989-94 - California Lutheran University, Head Coach
1994-97 - Adelaide 36ers, Head Coach
1997-06 - Metropolitan State College of Denver, Head Coach
2006-08 - Denver Nuggets, Assistant Coach
2008-09 - University of Arizona, Associate Head Coach
2009-10 - University of Oregon, Associate Head Coach
2010-present - St. John's University, Assistant Coach

Playing Experience

Pierce College (1976-78)
Loyola Marymount University (1979-80)

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dunlap_mike00.html

Fresno
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Great hire.

Don't mind his current job working for his friend Steve Lavin at St.Johns, Dunlap is widely respected for his X's and O's on each level and ability to relate to players.

People have seem to forgotten that he was the guy who George Karl went to to keep his volatile Nuggets locker room in check. Yes, Mike Dunlap earned the respect of Iverson, Melo, Kenyon Martin, & JR Smith. He was George Karl's go-to assistant for handling players because of his ability to relate to them and teach them.

I remembered this about him when he went down to the college ranks.

Jumba
06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
He was an okay Assistant in Oregon... :shrug:

ChitownBears22
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I will hold off judgement on him. I am just confused by the hire when it is still not officially the offseason and there are still big names out there. I am guessing the big names said no, just a guess though. Hopefully Jordan knows what he is doing.

LTBaByyy
06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Michael Jordan is the worst owner ever.

Doesn't want to pay big bucks for a coach and gets a college assistant?

Releases and trades all his best players and gets nothing in return

Fresno
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM

Not a Nuggets fan but an Arizona Wildcats fan.

When Coach Olson stepped away, it was Mike Dunlap who handled all of the X's and O's and player management for the team. The plays he had guys running and the way he was talking in the huddle were as if he had been a major D1 coach for 10-20 years. :laugh2: Although, he didn't spend a longer time at UA when they went to look for a new HC he left a favorable impression on everyone there.

Also George Karl says this about him:

Karl was equally impressed, saying: “He’s the most intelligent person that has a love for the game of basketball that I’ve ever been around. His ability to analyze and articulate and figure out the problems of day-to-day basketball was incredible for me.”

As I said above, he was George Karl's guy to deal with the players in the locker room and get them to buy into the team approach. He grabbed a then knuckleheaded Carmelo Anthony and the other guys and was with them on a daily basis. I knew he would eventually get a D1 HC job, and possibly end up back in the NBA as a HC. So I'm not as nearly surprised as you.

black1605
06-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Darin Gantt ‏@daringantt If Jordan had a track record of savvy moves, Mike Dunlap would be hailed as outside the box. But since he doesn't, Dunlap's a cheap unknown.

Keep up the mindless rhetoric.

black1605
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Not a Nuggets fan but an Arizona Wildcats fan.

When Coach Olson stepped away, it was Mike Dunlap who handled all of the X's and O's and player management for the team. The plays he had guys running and the way he was talking in the huddle were as if he had been a major D1 coach for 10-20 years. :laugh2: Although, he didn't spend a longer time at UA when they went to look for a new HC he left a favorable impression on everyone there.

Also George Karl says this about him:

As I said above, he was George Karl's guy to deal with the players in the locker room and get them to buy into the team approach. He grabbed a then knuckleheaded Carmelo Anthony and the other guys and was with them on a daily basis. I knew he would eventually get a D1 HC job, and possibly end up back in the NBA as a HC. So I'm not as nearly surprised as you.

Thanks for the info.

I really liked reading this:

"The Observer’s source, who asked for anonymity because Dunlap’s hire isn’t official, said Dunlap impressed the front office with his high energy and collaborative approach. Also, he wants to run an up-tempo offense and attacking defense that figures to fit some of the Bobcats’ younger personnel."

Still don't know much about the guy, but trying to be an optimist.

JordansBulls
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Good move. This certainly will help the Bulls out.

Fresno
06-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Mike Dunlap coached a 6 man St.Johns team all of last season.

He has NBA experience with the Nuggets dealing with and reaching immature players at the time and that left an impression on guys like Rich Cho & Rod Higgins who were in the Northwest division at the same time.

Dunlap is not anywhere near the reach you're making him out to be for a 9-63 basketball team who needs a HC who can deal with a young, bad team.

Why else do you think the other finalist was Quinn Synder, a former college HC.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Woohoo lets go Johnnies

Now draft Harkless at 2

idrinkpepsi
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Big risk here for Michael.

Fresno
06-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Keep up the mindless rhetoric.

Exactly.

Jordan is the owner but he has guys like Rich Cho & Rod Higgins to help make basketball decisions and they were the ones who recommended interviewing Dunlap about a month ago.

The truth is they need someone who can do a lot of player development with young guys for the next 2 seasons for a bad team to get them going with a high risk of the team being so bad that you get fired.

Not everybody wants to go into seemingly a Lose-Lose situation as a Head Coach.

knicks4life33
06-18-2012, 09:53 PM
After this hire IM thinking Patrick Ewing will never be a hed coach in the NBA! You get passed up bye the charlotte bob cats for ''MIKE DUNLAP"" who the hell is this guy

IndiansFan337
06-18-2012, 09:58 PM
wow, over Brian Shaw?

I have a feeling Brian Shaw turned them down, not the other way around. He knows he can land a better job.

If I were him though, I would be very leery of taking that Orlando job. I know he's a frontrunner for it, but that is a death job if/when Howard departs they will be in for a long rebuilding project because of all those bad long term contracts still on the books.

black1605
06-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Reading Karl's thoughts on Dunlap makes me feel a lot better.

“Mike Dunlap absolutely elevates every player and team he comes in contact with,’’ Karl said. “He takes you from good to great. Name every top-level, elite coach in the game – the only difference between Mike and them is their addresses…There is absolutely no one better.’’

WickedBadMan
06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Meh, honestly strikes me as a perfect hire for this team.

High risk, high reward.

No coach who has been paying his dues and is in line for a head coaching job soon is going to risk taking a job with the worst team ever and ruin his career.

They grabbed a guy who had a while to go still under normal circumstances, and if he turns it around he can make a name for himself.

black1605
06-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Meh, honestly strikes me as a perfect hire for this team.

High risk, high reward.

No coach who has been paying his dues and is in line for a head coaching job soon is going to risk taking a job with the worst team ever and ruin his career.

They grabbed a guy who had a while to go still under normal circumstances, and if he turns it around he can make a name for himself.

Agreed. Dunlap will give this job his all, without question. Hopefully he gets the best out of the players we have, and has input on the draft.

Fresno
06-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Agreed. Dunlap will give this job his all, without question. Hopefully he gets the best out of the players we have, and has input on the draft.

True.

Any more than 9 wins next season is going to be an improvement for that team while they try to rebuild.

I think the addition of Dunlap means Kemba Walker is poised for a MIP next season. Mike Dunlap was great with dealing with scoring guards and when you look at his background he's gotten good seasons out of Nic Wise, Tijuan Porter, & DeAngelo Harrison.

black1605
06-18-2012, 10:22 PM
True.

Any more than 9 wins next season is going to be an improvement for that team while they try to rebuild.

I think the addition of Dunlap means Kemba Walker is poised for a MIP next season. Mike Dunlap was great with dealing with scoring guards and when you look at his background he's gotten good seasons out of Nic Wise, Tijuan Porter, & DeAngelo Harrison.

Seven wins actually. :(

I read on the Bobcats board I go to that he is the first college assistant ever hired by an NBA team to be head coach. No source, but sounds accurate.

homestarunner93
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Ugh, this is annoying. Bobcats go cheap yet again.

black1605
06-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard
Well-respected, longtime NBA assistant Tim Grgurich may join Mike Dunlap's staff in Charlotte, sources say.

Not familiar with him, but reading up on Grgurich a little, and he sounds like a great piece to have on a coaching staff.

He has served as an assistant coach for several NBA teams including extended stays with the Seattle SuperSonics, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Denver Nuggets, and was the highest paid assistant in the NBA for several seasons being sought after for his trusted knowledge of the game.[3]
For the 2010-11 season he was hired as an assistant coach/consultant by fellow Pittsburgher and owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban.

Gymman
06-18-2012, 10:31 PM
This sucks
How can we as bobcat fans keep pulling n hoping we are going to get better but we get no signs it's bad!!!!

TheCooLKid2020
06-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Being from Colorado and actually meeting Dunlap, I can say that he is one of the great basketball minds. I met him when i was in High school about 5 or 6 years ago when we played a tournament at Metro state. He runs intense practices and actually test players pulses during practice to see if they are going hard enough. I think this is a great hire. i think name recognition is what people want all the time. So just because you don't know anything about this guy shouldn't make it in your mind a bad hire. He is a fantastic coach and I hope it works out.

LTBaByyy
06-18-2012, 10:38 PM
I am positive Bobcats will take Harkless at #2 now

black1605
06-18-2012, 10:39 PM

I'd be happy to take a sig bet if you're the least bit serious.

Theyhateme459
06-18-2012, 10:41 PM
I'll take it, no complaints. Should be invested in rebuilding this team over the next couple of years to prove himself as a coach. Seems like a good hire considering the situation.

Rather this than another recycled NBA Coach.

Lakersfan2483
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Exactly why MJ has NO business making important decisions on this level.......Wow. He passed on Jerry Sloan, Brian Shaw, Pat Ewing, etc... for an unknown.

black1605
06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Exactly why MJ has NO business making important decisions on this level.......Wow. He passed on Jerry Sloan, Brian Shaw, Pat Ewing, etc... for an unknown.

All signs point to this being Cho's guy, and I trust Cho. Plus, there's nothing that says we passed on Sloan or Shaw, and I'm glad we didn't take Ewing.

People who are familiar with Dunlap love the hire, people who haven't heard of him hate it. It's funny how that works.

JJ_JKidd
06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Thought it was Mike Dunlapy (Dunleavy) :confused:

aussie
06-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Jordan on a budget

homestarunner93
06-18-2012, 10:58 PM

You're a joke dude. Every time you post on anything pertaining to the Bobcats, you just end up making yourself look bad.

tp13baby
06-18-2012, 11:07 PM

i watched a couple of his games. I didn't know he was the coach. ha I have alot of people i played against play for him. When I watched, and what i've heard. He loves his athletic bigs. Big defensive guy, no D-2 team was better defensively than Metro in his days. Sad i didn't know Dunlap was Metros coach.

KobeOwnSU
06-18-2012, 11:27 PM
PSD logic:

99% of PSD doesn't know his name = bad hire

black1605
06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
PSD logic:

99% of PSD doesn't know his name = bad hire

Pretty much.

Tmath
06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
To be fair, the Bobcats are probably going to suck for the next couple years at least so no need to get a good coach right now.

PraiseTheKing23
06-18-2012, 11:48 PM
LOL Bobcats, I wish they could be relegated to the D-League already.

xxplayerxx23
06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
I liked what he did at SJohns, Not sure this is the best move, but it isnt bad. Just because you dont know who he is doesnt mean he is going to be a horrible hire. Do the bobcats have cap space?

black1605
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
I liked what he did at SJohns, Not sure this is the best move, but it isnt bad. Just because you dont know who he is doesnt mean he is going to be a horrible hire. Do the bobcats have cap space?

Lots after next season.

xxplayerxx23
06-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Lots after next season.

well thats good news,Prob one more really bad year, get another top draft pick to go along with this years, then you go throw money at some free agents

LTBaByyy
06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
To be fair, the Bobcats are probably going to suck for the next couple decades at least so no need to get a good coach right now.

Fixed.

Anyone who thinks they have a great future in the NBA is losing it

Lets be real, I don't see that team making the playoffs (Unless a #1 pick in a one in a million elite draft comes their way) for the next 10 years

Michael Jordan doesn't like to spend any money at all (Coaches or Players)

They draft bad, looking at all the draft picks they have made since the expansion was created

All Stars or Young Stars wont go there in Free Agency

Their season tickets are buy one get the next season free

I feel bad for Bobcats fans.

LTBaByyy
06-19-2012, 01:07 AM
I would move the team to Seattle and make them the Sonics just so you get profit from every game being sold out in that city

black1605
06-19-2012, 01:08 AM
The best trolls use caps-lock.

popo85
06-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Pierce college alum i went there for some courses, otherwise a weak move GOAT.

homestarunner93
06-19-2012, 01:15 AM
I would move the team to Seattle and make them the Sonics just so you get profit from every game being sold out in that city

Right, because the Sonics sold out every game in Seattle...they just took the team away from them to be big meanies. The Charlotte Hornets had some of the best attendance in all of basketball before George Shinn ****ed up. The Bobcats could contend in 5 years or so, you never know. I wish you would stop showing your ignorance when it comes to the Bobcats.

Whomewhome
06-19-2012, 01:53 AM
WOW I am shocked! IS MJ intentionally trying to ruin this team?

Raps18-19 Champ
06-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Why not give him a chance before saying it's a bad hire and stoning MJ to death?

Dunlap is some sort of bum because none of you know him. If he has a really bad track record and you know that, then talk. Outside of that, give the man a chance.

LTBaByyy
06-19-2012, 02:11 AM
WOW I am shocked! IS MJ intentionally trying to ruin this team?

As much hard work he put in being the greatest of all time player

He is putting that same work ethic to being the worst owner of all time

Makes me love Mark Cuban so much

KingOfSanJose
06-19-2012, 02:13 AM
People should lay off the bobcats, this could turn out to be a horrible hire but it also could turn out to be a terrific hire, you never know.

Whomewhome
06-19-2012, 09:27 AM
As much hard work he put in being the greatest of all time player

He is putting that same work ethic to being the worst owner of all time

Makes me love Mark Cuban so much
Some people are meant to play
Some people are meant to manage
Some people can do both

Magic and MJ need to stay away from management and ownership.

Whomewhome
06-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Why not give him a chance before saying it's a bad hire and stoning MJ to death?

Dunlap is some sort of bum because none of you know him. If he has a really bad track record and you know that, then talk. Outside of that, give the man a chance.
I think people are upset because they went from Sloan to Dunlap! That's a big slope and no matter what chance he gets odds of him being Sloan caliber coach are slim to none.

Holydiver
06-19-2012, 11:46 AM
I thought these comments at espn were funny

capiscono
Anytime you get a chance to sign an assistant coach from the 10th best Big East team in the conference you just have to do it.

Spiralb
MJ is the ultimate competitor. He lost out on the #1 pick this year but he's going to fight even harder to get it next year!!!

DenButsu
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell

I'm sick to my stomach.

Why?

He's really well respected by all corners of the Nuggets organization, including George Karl, who he worked under:

George Karl ‏@CoachKarl22
Great hire by Bobcats! Mike Dunlap is one of the most creative defensive minds I've ever worked with. Welcome back to the NBA!

Another current NBA head coach who worked under Karl is having just a little bit of success these days, by the way. :cool:

I understand Bobcats fans probably wanted a "superstar" coach who on the face of things would be a game changer. But Dunlap is really great at developing young talent, which is a real need for that team right now, and as Karl said, he's a fantastic defensive coach.

So why not give him a chance before busting out the tar and feathers?

superior
06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Fixed.

Anyone who thinks they have a great future in the NBA is losing it

Lets be real, I don't see that team making the playoffs (Unless a #1 pick in a one in a million elite draft comes their way) for the next 10 years

Michael Jordan doesn't like to spend any money at all (Coaches or Players)

They draft bad, looking at all the draft picks they have made since the expansion was created

All Stars or Young Stars wont go there in Free Agency

Their season tickets are buy one get the next season free

I feel bad for Bobcats fans.

OKC went 23-59 in the 08-09 season WITH Durant, now it's the 2011-2012 season and you're watching them play for the CHAMPIONSHIP, anything can happen, STFU

And I like how you failed to mention that we got fukked out of the 1st pick, Which would have got us Anthony Davis and everybody would be singing a different song about Charlotte. We take T-Rob and we suck again next year we get Shabazz, So you're telling me that no good free agents would come to a team with Kemba, Shabazz, T-Rob and Bismack, with the owner being the most respected basketball player to ever play the game??? you're a fool... you're probably like 8 years old, go clean your room before I tell your mommy.

DenButsu
06-19-2012, 12:08 PM
And I have to add that it's pretty damn funny all the bashing going on in this thread by people who have absolutely no idea who Dunlap is.

Your ignorance does not imply his incompetence.

JDM
06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
The more I read about Dunlap, the more I like him. He seems like the person Cho was looking for- a great teacher and motivator. He fits our young team perfectly. Welcome to Charlotte!

black1605
06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Why?

He's really well respected by all corners of the Nuggets organization, including George Karl, who he worked under:

That was just my initial reaction. As you can see if you read my other posts through the thread, I liked the hire more as I read more about Dunlap and how well respected he is across the board.

He sounds like a great fit for us, and he's already starting to put together a more than capable staff.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
I hope he brings some of that St. Johns coaching clothing style to the NBA.

mngopher35
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Never really heard of him, but from what ive read so far looks like a decent hire. Hes supposed to be good with young players, x's and o's, and defense. When your rebuilding like the bobcats are a high risk high reward coach who is great with young guys (and has the backing of karl) seems like a perfect fit

black1605
06-19-2012, 01:29 PM
One of Dunlap's disciples in the NBA who has worked with him said Monday night upon learning the Bobcats hired him: "He has the most organized approach to player development ever. He makes players better. He's brutally honest and extremely loyal. He will not stop working. He gets through obstacles with unbelievable problem-solving lenses. He's very thorough.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/8071050/college-coaches-rave-mike-dunlap-college-basketball

Great to read this.

JDM
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Geez, that sounds like Cho but in the form of a coach. I like it!

DenButsu
06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
That was just my initial reaction. As you can see if you read my other posts through the thread, I liked the hire more as I read more about Dunlap and how well respected he is across the board.

He sounds like a great fit for us, and he's already starting to put together a more than capable staff.

Okay, sorry I didn't read every post in the thread, but skimming through it seemed the overall reaction was pretty negative, but I'm glad you're better with it now. I do think he'll be a good fit.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I think people are upset because they went from Sloan to Dunlap! That's a big slope and no matter what chance he gets odds of him being Sloan caliber coach are slim to none.

Unless they were a former NBA player who was given a coaching job because they use to be in the NBA, even the best of coaches had to start off somewhere. At one point, Thibodeau was an assistant at Harvard before jumping to the NBA. Guess Thibodeaus's nothing but a bum because he was an assistant in college. Popovich was the head coach of the Pomona-Pitzer before jumping to the NBA. Guess he's a bum too.

Sloan is 70 and the Bobcats are going to be rebuilding for a while. Sloan literally can't do ANYTHING for the Bobcats longterm.

It seems like people just seem to say, "Sloan has a name so he MUST be better than some no name guy despite me not knowing anything about who Dunlap is and what the Bobcats situation is".

I'm not saying Dunlap is going to be the next Popovich or Tibodeau, but he's definitely a better option than Sloan long-term.

DenButsu
06-19-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/nuggets/features/george-karl-believes-mike-dunlap-right-fit-bobcats

http://www.nba.com/nuggets/video/patrick-mutombo-mike-dunlap