PDA

View Full Version : How far would the Mavericks have gone if they had last season's team intact?

heyman321
06-18-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm curious to hear opinions about this. It is my belief that the Mavs should have won at least 2 games vs the Thunder this year, if not for a lucky Durant bounce, they would've won game 1, and maybe game 2 if they didn't make some stupid turnovers down the stretch, HOWEVER, there is no doubt they would have lost the series -- they just had no firepower with Terry playing like crap and everyone else even crappier.

I know the stats say that the Mavs team defense was actually BETTER this year than the last, but come on -- with a DPOY manning the center instead of Brendan "I might actually be worse than Erick Dampier" Haywood trying to get a rebound, would've helped the Mavs stop easy layups so much. And Barea would've helped as a second or third option scorer, people underrated the importance of his penetration to the Mav's offensive game last year.

So how would they have done this year if they had exactly last season's team, and none of the additions from this year? That is, Chandler, Barea, Stojakovic, Stevenson, Brewer -- along with a non "I didn't play basketball for two months and stuffed my mouth with cheetos because I won Finals MVP, so I came into training camp hella out of shape" Dirk?

King41
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
hmm with dirk playing like a finals mvp maybe wcf and then loose to the spurs. I#m not sure

Chronz
06-18-2012, 11:42 PM
I still think they were able to maneuver their lineups to offset his loss defensive, but it came at the expense of offense. With him they could play their best offensive players and not worry too much about the defense, and he was a highly efficient player himself. Thats the biggest loss. I still dont think they had another run in them but if Dirk comes back in shape (Which I think he would have if Cuban doesnt punt the title defense) but I really dont see them being a top4 team.

popo85
06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Where's the Barea fan he will say champs

Fresno
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
So how would they have done this year if they had exactly last season's team, and none of the additions from this year? That is, Chandler, Barea, Stojakovic, Stevenson, Brewer -- along with a non "I didn't play basketball for two months and stuffed my mouth with cheetos because I won Finals MVP, so I came into training camp hella out of shape" Dirk?

Is this including a healthy Caron Butler or without him?

If Dallas had kept last season's team together they would be in the NBA Championship again.

justinnum1
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
not sure they get past OKC, so lose inn WCF to OKC

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 11:56 PM
If they were the exact same team they wouldn't be facing OKC, they'd be anywhere from a 3-5 seed.

JordansBulls
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
If they were the exact same team they wouldn't be facing OKC, they'd be anywhere from a 3-5 seed.

True, but would be facing the OKC or LA or SA in round 2 in round 1 since SA = #1 seed, OKC #2 seed, Lakers #3 seed, Dallas #4, Memphis #5

BKLYNpigeon
06-19-2012, 01:27 AM
who cares....

DaSeba5
06-19-2012, 01:31 AM
I think a 2nd round exit. Dirk played out of his mind last year.

b@llhog24
06-19-2012, 01:44 AM

True, but would be facing the OKC or LA or SA in round 2 in round 1 since SA = #1 seed, OKC #2 seed, Lakers #3 seed, Dallas #4, Memphis #5
I honestly think they would have been better than the Lakers. There Depth would have been a great asset in a season like this.

Dade County
06-19-2012, 02:17 AM
If Dallas had the same team as last year...

They would be playing the HEAT in the finals, but the only difference is that Miami wins this time.

setman2000
06-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Who cares - horrible thread.

Six-8-TheWizard
06-19-2012, 02:42 AM
not sure they get past OKC, so lose inn WCF to OKC

This years Mavs, while they did get swept by OKC could just as easily have swept them. I think 3/4 games were like one possession losses. With the same team from last year its definitely conceivable that they would be in the finals right now

310Casper
06-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Who cares....these what if threads are the worst

jetsfan28
06-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Playoffs are too random to actually say how far they would have gotten, but they would have been at best the 3rd best team in the West, and the 5th best team in the NBA. And that's a bit generous, as Peja was completely done, Kidd is a year worse, and Dirk simply may not have been able to match last year's level of play.

Iron24th
06-19-2012, 03:19 AM
^ ^ this

Ebbs
06-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Hard to say definitively but I think a WCF'S outing if they played with heart and had Stevenson, Barea, Butler and Chandler there healthy

MadBomber
06-19-2012, 07:56 AM
I think they could have made a return trip to the final, but knows.

They lost some important pieces last year: Barrea, Chandler, and Peja. This was without a healthy Butler too. Peja was killing people from the outside and Barrea was that spark off the bench while Chandler help play solid defense in the middle. Shame they couldn't maintain that team, would have been nice to see how they would have done this year.

Jarvo
06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Lose to Spurs in the WCF.

JordansBulls
06-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Lose to Spurs in the WCF.

More likely Semifinals since they would probably be a 4 seed.

BlondeBomber41
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
They wouldn't win the championship again, and Mark Cuban recognized that. They got alot of contributions from guys who were on their last legs. Jason Kidd, Peja Stojakovic, Deshawn Stevenson. Dirk had to play out of his freakin mind to carry that team to a championship, he can't be expected to do that all over again with the team being a year older.

BlondeBomber41
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Who cares....these what if threads are the worst

Yeah, lets have more threads about Lebron and Russell Westbrook and Kobe and Kevin Durant. The NBA forum is really lacking those.

I'd say a thread discussing how good the champions could of been if they had stayed together is a much more interesting topic than most of the ******** in the NBA forum.