PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a DH?

UaWilcat23
06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
I want there to be a DH in both leagues.

06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't. I'd prefer to keep it the way it is or get rid of it all together.

Jeffy25
06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Nope, NL doesn't want it.

Every time we have this discussion, it's the same results. If you grew up a fan of an NL team, you don't want it. If you grew up a fan of an AL team, you want it.

I don't want it. But it's far more likely to be coming to the NL then to be removed from the AL.

And to think, it was only a publicity stunt to get fans to the ballparks.

sexicano31
06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I honestly dont care. It doesnt add to terribly much to the game, besides potentially lengthening some players careers

miller74
06-18-2012, 04:38 PM
As pathetic as it is to watch a pitcher hit, and its pathetic, like 6 yr old tee ball pathetic. They need to adapt the same set of rules in each league, especially if there is going to be interleague all yr when the astros come over to the AL.
AL fan i would hope for DH but i wouldnt be against pitchers hitting aslong as they continue to work on it through the minors. i shouldnt be sitting there watching an MLB game and seriously have to wonder if i can hit better than the guy on TV.

metsfaninSTL
06-18-2012, 04:49 PM
There should be no DH in AL

sexicano31
06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
As pathetic as it is to watch a pitcher hit, and its pathetic, like 6 yr old tee ball pathetic. They need to adapt the same set of rules in each league, especially if there is going to be interleague all yr when the astros come over to the AL.
AL fan i would hope for DH but i wouldnt be against pitchers hitting aslong as they continue to work on it through the minors. i shouldnt be sitting there watching an MLB game and seriously have to wonder if i can hit better than the guy on TV.
You wonder that? Because you cant

stipe1280
06-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes, I want both leagues to use a DH and yes, it's needed in both leagues.

With Houston moving to the AL next season, both leagues will now have 15 teams, meaning there will be more ongoing interleague games throughout the season. That said, the rules need to be the same in both NL and AL so that both teams will have equality.

As for adding the DH (as opposed to doing away with it), there are several reasons for having it in my mind:

1) It's getting to a point where, in the early stages of players "careers", you are seeing more specialized positions. Either you pitch or you hit. Some specialization has already taken place amongst pitchers, as is, with starters as opposed to relievers as opposed to setups and closers. That said, most players aren't the rounded baseball players that some of the greats of yesteryear were because they're being taught to focus on certain strengths they have.

*A point that goes along with this one has to do with injuries. How many pitchers do we have to watch hurt themselves trying to swing a bat?

2) I know some will disagree, but there's nothing more boring than watching a lifetime .175 hitter hit. Lets face it, the pitcher is usually a sure out. Yes, I know you have strategists (Tony LaRussa comes to mind) that like to use this to their advantage, but as a fan, I'd much rather see a .280-.300 hitting DH put the pressure on a pitcher to make good pitches.

3) Who doesn't want to watch David Ortiz hit? The guy can't field and because of that he has no business being in the field, but he still makes his team better with his bat.

I get that it's controversial and that some people don't like change. Personally, I like the tradition of the game, but to me, that was thrown out the window when Selig decided to put 15 teams in each league (amongst other things he's done). As is, if you're going to have a league the way it's being set up, it needs to be fair and balanced and you can only achieve that by having both leagues play by the same rules. Want to add 2 more teams so there is an even number of teams in each league and keep the AL with a DH and NL without one? I'd be all for that.

hoggin88
06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
You know, I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and for years I have defended the pitchers hitting, but at this point I really wouldn't care if the DH was implemented.

06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
The AL is doing it right. Pitchers get paid to pitch not hit like 10 year old girls.

utl768
06-18-2012, 05:11 PM
when piazza played i wanted it but now i hate the DH

stupidest rule ever

metswon69
06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
It's a stupid argument like Jeffy said...

The DH sucks in my opinion but to each their own.

06-18-2012, 05:13 PM

I agree it is stupid. NL should just adapt or die.

metswon69
06-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree it is stupid. NL should just adapt or die.

Nah!

I like the game with more strategy, bunting, hit and run etc etc.

It makes the game more interesting, cerebral, and exciting than playing a guy who can't field just so you can add 30 more homers to your lineup.

The NL game is a better game imo but it's a worthless argument.

jbro732
06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
I would like to see each league adapt to one set of rules or get rid of inter league play all-together.

MetsFanatic19
06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
there's gonna be much more DH next year for NL teams so it evens out a little more

LASportsFan1996
06-18-2012, 06:13 PM
**** The DH, Keep It In The Junior Circuit...

VRP723
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
I want a DH in the NL, really badly

metsfaninSTL
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
The AL is doing it right. Pitchers get paid to pitch not hit like 10 year old girls.

1B get paid to play 1B, 2B get paid to play 2B, SS get paid to play SS and so on... so should every position have its own DH. No that is stupid. Pitchers are players and all players should have to bat.

thefeckcampaign
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Start your own league then.

TylerSL
06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't. I'd prefer to keep it the way it is or get rid of it all together.

This. Scrap DH all together. It ruins half the strategy of the game IMO.

DodgerB24
06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I hate the DH.

06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
1B get paid to play 1B, 2B get paid to play 2B, SS get paid to play SS and so on... so should every position have its own DH. No that is stupid. Pitchers are players and all players should have to bat.

All those players get paid to hit and play their position. No one signs pitchers for their ability to hit.

Jeffy25
06-18-2012, 07:21 PM

The DH sucks in my opinion but to each their own.

Yup, it's a complete opinion based question....I don't want it. If we did have it, it wouldn't be the end of the world to me either. And I couldn't really argue against it because it's so subjective. :)

popo85
06-18-2012, 07:45 PM

I agree, plus there's been so many shut outs of late the league is lacking on the offensive side.

NYMETS2889
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
i enjoy watching pitchers hit-and seeing a pitcher who has the ability to handle the bat is just a joy to watch

06-18-2012, 08:04 PM

Every time we have this discussion, it's the same results. If you grew up a fan of an NL team, you don't want it. If you grew up a fan of an AL team, you want it.

I don't want it. But it's far more likely to be coming to the NL then to be removed from the AL.

There's a few stragglers either way. SOme NL guys that want it and some AL guys that would like to see the pitcher bat. The only place I want the DH permanently should be the All-Star game. No reason the pitchers should be in the lineup there because they'll probably never hit even if they're good.

mtf
06-18-2012, 08:06 PM
I would prefer DH in both leagues, but more importantly I just want both leagues to just use the same rules. Either both league uses the DH, or both eliminate it.

FortDetroit
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I'll never understand fans wanting to see a near sure out come to the plate and flail around like a girl. That's really entertaining.

mtf
06-18-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll never understand fans wanting to see a near sure out come to the plate and flail around like a girl. That's really entertaining.

Most of the reason is that those fans are either traditionalists who don't like any change to the game. These same people opposed bringing in a wild card years ago, and going to an 8 team playoff format instead of 4, but few of them would now argue about going back to 4. They would be fine with this change too, it'd just take 4-5 years to let it sit in for them and then they likely wouldn't want to go back.

VRP723
06-19-2012, 02:30 AM

Yep.

Not to mention that it's an unfair advantage for AL teams to be able to offer long term contracts to star caliber hitters knowing that they have a place to put them if they eventually can't field their position because of age.

Also it would create jobs, guys like Vlad and Manny would probably be on rosters.

It'll happen eventually, I'm pretty sure of it, and I can't wait.

t327
06-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Not a fan of the DH.

Be an athlete. Baseball pitchers grew up hitting. DH's grew up playing in the field.

Jeffy25
06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Yep.

Not to mention that it's an unfair advantage for AL teams to be able to offer long term contracts to star caliber hitters knowing that they have a place to put them if they eventually can't field their position because of age.

Also it would create jobs, guys like Vlad and Manny would probably be on rosters.

It'll happen eventually, I'm pretty sure of it, and I can't wait.

Personally, I find it pretty awesome when you have someone like Mike Leake or Dontrelle Willis or Adam Wainwright help themselves out and contribute.

To me, it's about 9 guys vs 9 guys.

It's gonna come to the NL at some point, I too am pretty sure of it. And I like seeing big offenses, and hell the Cards current lineup could really use the DH since we have so many aging corner outfielders that can hit but can't field any way. But I just like the raw pureness that was as a kid....9 guys vs 9 guys on the field. If you want to sub someone in, go ahead, but then that guy is out of the game. I like that basicness. I feel like the DH might as well just be 9 hitters vs 9 fielders. Construct your team with 9 DH's. The 9 best hitters, and then the 9 best defensive players play defense. If you can do both, go ahead. But like it is in football, all speciality positions.

koldjerky
06-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Either in both or in none. I've been pretty much against it but I'm leaning towards actually wanting it in the NL.

mtf
06-19-2012, 06:55 AM
I feel like the DH might as well just be 9 hitters vs 9 fielders. Construct your team with 9 DH's. The 9 best hitters, and then the 9 best defensive players play defense. If you can do both, go ahead. But like it is in football, all speciality positions.

That's an interesting perspective, although there are no pitchers who make the all-star teams because of their offensive contributions. The same thing cannot be said of other positions, even catchers and second-basemen.

Jeffy25
06-19-2012, 07:02 AM
That's an interesting perspective, although there are no pitchers who make the all-star teams because of their offensive contributions. The same thing cannot be said of other positions, even catchers and second-basemen.

Well if you had speciality positions, then that wouldn't be a problem :)

mtf
06-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Well if you had speciality positions, then that wouldn't be a problem :)

I'm not sure what problem you're referring to.

Mitchell133
06-19-2012, 07:37 AM

You pretty much nailed it, but believe me this idea that "NL baseball is more interesting" is a joke. I hate it.

Pinstripe pride
06-19-2012, 07:49 AM
the AL should get rid of the DH if anything

mariner4life
06-19-2012, 08:30 AM
The N.L. already has a D.H. It is called 1st base! We don't need 2 DHs! lol
The most strategic move a manager has to make is the decision when to take the pitcher out. With the pitcher leading off the next inning do you try and squeeze one more out? Do you pinch hit for him in the 6th inning when your losing even though he's pitching a gem?
So many more big decisions in the N.L. and far more strategic.

People don't like to see pitchers bat? Too bad! I don't like to see David Ortiz run the bases so should we have someone run to first for him?

NYflightboy
06-19-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't care either way but I do think it should be the same in both leagues. AL teams a huge advantage when they play in their home ballparks.

BUMS IN QUEENS
06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't mind the DH so much if they just amended the rules on it. A DH should still have to play the field a set number of times. I hate that you can just trot out some slugger every day with no other baseball skills whatsoever. The spirit of the game is lost in that, and it makes 1 spot in the lineup 100% offensive, just as the pitcher's spot is almost 100% defensive.

Maybe a 5 game at DH, 5 game in the field rule or something. Meaning once you pay 5 straight games at DH, you have to play 5 straight games in the field before you can DH again.

PapaPilo00
06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
The N.L. already has a D.H. It is called 1st base! We don't need 2 DHs! lol
The most strategic move a manager has to make is the decision when to take the pitcher out. With the pitcher leading off the next inning do you try and squeeze one more out? Do you pinch hit for him in the 6th inning when your losing even though he's pitching a gem?
So many more big decisions in the N.L. and far more strategic.

People don't like to see pitchers bat? Too bad! I don't like to see David Ortiz run the bases so should we have someone run to first for him?

I personally believe in the strategy of the game and agree with your statement completely. I also love seeing a pitcher get a base hit and help himself out or even a homerun. And you can't tell me when you see or hear about a pitcher hit a homerun, that you don't smile a little bit inside :jumpy:

NYMets0507
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
In the NL, there's a lot more strategy. It makes it more interesting to watch.

Call me crazy, but whenever I watch an inter league game where the DH is in the lineup, I get bored. It's not as fun to watch.

Part of baseball is defense. If you have a guy on your team who can't play defense, but can only hit, then he shouldn't be in the MLB.

miller74
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes strategy but do i really need to see a manager scramble to hid a guy in the lineup that hits like a 6 yr old?
This is suppose to be the best of the best.

Maybe NHL should implement a rule where goalies have to shot in the shootout? So that way we can all watch the goalies make a complete idiot of themselves

getfoul
06-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Call me crazy, but whenever I watch an inter league game where the DH is in the lineup, I get bored. It's not as fun to watch.

Part of baseball is defense. If you have a guy on your team who can't play defense, but can only hit, then he shouldn't be in the MLB.

To each their own, but I find pitchers hitting boring as hell.

I will agree that a baseball player should be able to field a position, but the days of a fulltime DH are all but over. It gives guys a half day off.

As an industry, I think MLB would be better off adding the DH to the NL. The fans would get over it after a while.

miller74
06-19-2012, 03:03 PM

So how about having a guy on ur team that can play defense and cant hit at all, whats the fun in that?

PapaPilo00
06-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes strategy but do i really need to see a manager scramble to hid a guy in the lineup that hits like a 6 yr old?
This is suppose to be the best of the best.

Maybe NHL should implement a rule where goalies have to shot in the shootout? So that way we can all watch the goalies make a complete idiot of themselves

I grew up with baseball in the NL. I love the fact that its not one dimentional. And yes pitchers don't hit as well as a DH obviously but you are solely looking at that instance of not having a DH. Having the pitchers spot opens up pinch hitters, double switches, sac bunts, more specialized relief pitching assignments.

So yeah you will probably get a few silly swings (see below for evidence), but you gain a more interesting game.

As for the NHL, that scenario has no simularities to MLB or the discussion we are having because NHL players aren't designated an sole offensive opportunity like the AB does for the MLB.

EDIT: NHL is continuous is what I meant to say and baseball is not.

NYMets0507
06-19-2012, 03:42 PM
So how about having a guy on ur team that can play defense and cant hit at all, whats the fun in that?

I think to be a MLB player, you need to not only hit, but to field as well. I do think that if you can't hit either, you shouldn't be in the Majors.

To answer your question, I prefer a close, low-scoring game, like 2-1, 3-2, or 4-3. I hate the high scoring games. In a close game, I want defensive players on the field, someone who can cover large portions on the field and will basically guarantee to make the out. You can't blow out your opponent every night, as good as an offensive lineup you have. The pitchers, especially in the last few years, have greatly improved.

I might not make much sense, but having the pitcher make a sacrifice bunt, to move the runner(s) up to scoring position for the top of the lineup to bring them home is fascinating. You don't see tactical moves like that in the AL.

b1e9a8r5s
06-19-2012, 04:00 PM
The union will never give up the DH in the AL. Eventually the NL execs are going to realize that they can't justify giving out the same contracts that the AL execs can because they dont have the DH as a security blanket. Both leagues will have a DH at some point.

PapaPilo00
06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
The union will never give up the DH in the AL. Eventually the NL execs are going to realize that they can't justify giving out the same contracts that the AL execs can because they the DH as a security blanket. Both leagues will have a DH at some point.

Okay... maybe so, but the question is should there be a DH not will there be one.

b1e9a8r5s
06-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Okay... maybe so, but the question is should there be a DH not will there be one.

Well I would say yes there should be. But, I largely agree it's a preference thing (I'm a White Sox fan).

PapaPilo00
06-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Well I would say yes there should be. But, I largely agree it's a preference thing (I'm a White Sox fan).

Yeah it really depends on what city you grew up in to be honest, I mean both sides have good points but it doesn't matter because its how we have baseball instilled in our minds lol

mgsports
06-20-2012, 09:32 AM
DH and Pitcher in the same Lineup.

2009mvp
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I think to be a MLB player, you need to not only hit, but to field as well. I do think that if you can't hit either, you shouldn't be in the Majors.

To answer your question, I prefer a close, low-scoring game, like 2-1, 3-2, or 4-3. I hate the high scoring games. In a close game, I want defensive players on the field, someone who can cover large portions on the field and will basically guarantee to make the out. You can't blow out your opponent every night, as good as an offensive lineup you have. The pitchers, especially in the last few years, have greatly improved.

I might not make much sense, but having the pitcher make a sacrifice bunt, to move the runner(s) up to scoring position for the top of the lineup to bring them home is fascinating. You don't see tactical moves like that in the AL.

I love when NL fans say this **** as if it's gospel. Do me a favor and say hi to Jim Thome, Jason Giambi et al when they pass through your NL park, K?

NYMets0507
06-20-2012, 12:01 PM
I love when NL fans say this **** as if it's gospel. Do me a favor and say hi to Jim Thome, Jason Giambi et al when they pass through your NL park, K?

I'd love to, considering the fact that Jason Giambi's career fielding % is .991 and Jim Thome's is .988, including .994 at 1B.

2009mvp
06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd love to, considering the fact that Jason Giambi's career fielding % is .991 and Jim Thome's is .988, including .994 at 1B.

A) It's 2012
B) David Ortiz's is .990. What does that tell you? It's almost as if fielding percentage is totally useless or something.

NYMets0507
06-20-2012, 12:13 PM
A) It's 2012
B) David Ortiz's is .990. What does that tell you? It's almost as if fielding percentage is totally useless or something.

Ok then. In 2012, Giambi has a 1.000 Thome has a .974, which I will admit is not good. However, the fact shows that Giambi can still field, and while Thome has taken a drop, his career numbers show he's a decent fielder as well.

1-800-STFU
06-20-2012, 12:16 PM
^^Oh boy here we go

There is very little strategy in baseball to begin with. It's an individual game disguised as a team game.

The little strategy added of having a pitcher bat doesn't really add anything, at all. A 12yr old with basic knowledge knows the "strategy" of baseball.

Kinglorious
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
I think DH should stay in AL and pitchers should continue to hit in NL. It ensures that the two leagues remain unique; otherwise what's the point of having two different leagues that barely play each other to begin with? You might as well adopt the NBA or NHL's style and make it one league, with an East-West thing going on, and that would suck.

NYMets0507
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
^^Oh boy here we go

There is very little strategy in baseball to begin with. It's an individual game disguised as a team game.

The little strategy added of having a pitcher bat doesn't really add anything, at all. A 12yr old with basic knowledge knows the "strategy" of baseball.

Maybe this was because I was brought up watching the NL. All I am saying is NL baseball is more tactical and it's more enjoyable to watch. I don't like the DH. To each his own, I guess.

2009mvp
06-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Ok then. In 2012, Giambi has a 1.000 Thome has a .974, which I will admit is not good. However, the fact shows that Giambi can still field, and while Thome has taken a drop, his career numbers show he's a decent fielder as well.

Are you really missing the point that badly? Like, really???

metswon69
06-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Can we just agree to disagree?

Most NL fans are going to side against the DH, most AL fans are going to side with it.

It's really a moot point, because all AL fans do is bash "the weak pitcher hitting" and "strategy in the NL is overrated" (when it isn't) and all NL fans are going to do is say the "DH sucks because its untraditional" and that "Guys who play in the game should play the field too"

It's a trollers argument, please people let it go.

PapaPilo00
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
^I hate trolls, bridges with trolls under them and the DH haha. But I agree, there is no right answer and no way to change opinions.

ShockerArt
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
I just want both leagues to play by the same rules. I don't really care if that means no DH or both use the DH.

06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I just want both leagues to play by the same rules. I don't really care if that means no DH or both use the DH.
Why? I kinda like that both leagues are unique, and with interleague play, it's a change for the visiting team. The only difference is a fat aging veteran (in most cases) sits on the bench all day besides hitting in one and a pitcher hits in the other. 9 players bat and 9 players field.

PapaPilo00
06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Why? I kinda like that both leagues are unique, and with interleague play, it's a change for the visiting team. The only difference is a fat aging veteran (in most cases) sits on the bench all day besides hitting in one and a pitcher hits in the other. 9 players bat and 9 players field.

It gives the fat aging veteran a month to rest their tootsies!

AsfanSince99
06-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I always fast forward Kurt Suzuki's at bats because he hits like a pitcher, so why would I want to see a pitcher hit in a game? Pitchers are already dominating the game, the DH is over due in the NL.

Canterbury
06-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Change it so that DH leaves whenever the pitcher leaves.

The first half of a game would be AL-style, and the second half would be NL-style.

C-ross12
06-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Seems like we can always count on this topic comming up at least once every 4 months or so. Its literally been beat to death.

SportsNY
06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I want there to be a DH in both leagues.

I want there to be no DH in both leagues.

metswon69
06-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Seems like we can always count on this topic comming up at least once every 4 months or so. Its literally been beat to death.

Sadly its gonna be worse and come up even more next year when there are interleague games everyday of the season.

Someone is gonna complain that this team has this unfair advantage in September and how does MLB let interleague games determine a pennant race so late in the year with no uniform rule on the DH.

It's gonna be hell because people are going to be screaming about who plays who where and when and how the DH or no DH affected the outcome of pivotal games.

Just wait if you think it's beat to death already :facepalm:

Tragedy
06-21-2012, 01:27 AM
AL fans will always want the DH and NL fans will always want the Pitcher.

As an AL fan, no doubt I want the DH. I enjoy watching offense. NL fans say there is "strategy" but other than a stupid double switch, there isn't much strategy. Most pitchers are crap at bunting, and if they're attempting to swing, it's usually laughable to watch.

This is the pros, and I want to see the best of the best.

dballss
06-21-2012, 02:58 AM
whats the history of pitchers batting average, like .125?...to me watching pitchers bat is kinda a joke, they mostly just sacrifice or strike out, if pitchers could actually bat consistently even with below avg numbers like a .175-.225 avg it might be okay...one thing is for sure, either both leagues DH or both leagues dont...this split is just stupid

gattaca
06-21-2012, 03:14 AM
I don't care if there is a DH or not, but I think that both leagues should be the same ie: both have a DH or neither do

gattaca
06-21-2012, 03:16 AM

do you know what "literally" means?

todu82
06-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I think they should get rid of the DH altogether, have the pitchers hit in both leagues.

AsfanSince99
06-21-2012, 04:32 PM
For those of you advocating for the pitcher, then let your pitcher hit when you go to AL parks.

Twitchy
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
I'd rather see Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Jason Giambi, David Ortiz, Adam Dunn and guys like that come to the plate and have an opportunity to play instead of having a pitcher come to the plate who is averaging a 290 OPS.

Yes, you read that right, pitchers are posting a 290 OPS as an average across Major League Baseball. If we ignore the AL, it jumps up all the way to a triple slash line of 129/162/162. Good enough for a 324 (or if we generously round up) a 325 OPS for pitchers in the National League.

That's not exciting, that's not strategic, and it's a waste of everybody's time. I don't want my hitters to pitch, and I don't want my pitchers to hit.

06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I'd rather see Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Jason Giambi, David Ortiz, Adam Dunn and guys like that come to the plate and have an opportunity to play instead of having a pitcher come to the plate who is averaging a 290 OPS.

Yes, you read that right, pitchers are posting a 290 OPS as an average across Major League Baseball. If we ignore the AL, it jumps up all the way to a triple slash line of 129/162/162. Good enough for a 324 (or if we generously round up) a 325 OPS for pitchers in the National League.

That's not exciting, that's not strategic, and it's a waste of everybody's time. I don't want my hitters to pitch, and I don't want my pitchers to hit.

:clap:

theslick1
06-21-2012, 06:55 PM

I'm theslick1 and I approve this message.

NatSkinCapWiz
06-27-2012, 06:15 PM
NL's getting beat up in IL play because they do not waste salary on a "9th Man".

I've always hated the DH because I am a fan of the hitting pitcher. What's sweeter than watching a pitcher take one deep? What they need to do is even it up by having the first half of the season DH free in both leagues. After the All-Star break, bring in the DH in both leagues.

Whatever the case, we need a change...

What would you do?

2009mvp
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Oh please. The NL gets beat up in interleague play because the teams are inferior. Period.

d79cheese
06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
With the year round IL coming up next year, something is going to have to be done one way or the other soon

Yankees90.
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
No. Im a Yankees fan first and foremost. But my National League team is the Mets (because i can :D) I watch them for 2 reason: 1.) They're New York 2.) Because National League does not have a DH. Dont get me wrong, i like American League better, but i also like to watch different styles of baseball being played.

Jeffy25
06-27-2012, 06:26 PM
too many DH threads :exhausted:

YoungStuna
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
I really want there to be a DH. It's opens up a spot for a masher with no position or a fantastic defender with a little bat. Plus you don't have to see the pitcher kill the inning every time.

Especially in this post-steroid era it would be nice to have some more offense.

keymax
06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Oh please. The NL gets beat up in interleague play because the teams are inferior. Period.

No they are a whopping 200 games under .500 because of the DH in interleague history.

And in NL parks AL teams went 72 - 54 this year, couldn't find the all time stats.
The AL is just the better league, this will probably change again at some time, but right now the AL clearly is the superior league.

Lakers + Giants
06-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I'd rather have the DH spot taken away from the DL than having the NL add it.

NatSkinCapWiz
06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
My fault! I searched but I could not find another thread like this. Thanks for the merge.

I couldn't agree more with the guy who said something needs to change if we're going to the IL play all year round. I'm not against the DH but I want some sort of balance in batting rosters.

DieHardCubFan
06-27-2012, 08:08 PM
I think that NL needs a DH. The pitcher batting is a waste of an out.

%%%%
06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I like the status-quo. Leave the DH in the AL; leave the pitchers batting in the NL.

Normally, those who support the DH have a favorite team in the AL; those who oppose the DH have a favorite team in the NL.

However, if they had to change it, I lean to putting the DH in both leagues. The DH is necessary for players to continue hitting later in their career and reach significant milestones.

bagwell368
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
The players union will not allow the DH to be removed - so add it to the AL. The much vaunted "strategy" advantage in the NL is so hard a 15 year old could to it. It also seems to be leading to the NL to being the inferior league head to head since they have an extra scrub hitter/utility player and the AL has an extra quality hitter.

DH's are used in Little League and up around the country. Shame the retrograde NL has to spoil it, and give us incompetent hitters to watch, and expose their pitchers to extra injury risks too.

SouthSideRookie
06-28-2012, 01:47 AM

That's like saying I want my starting 5 in the NBA to average 20 ppg each.

For those saying there's really not much strategy involved have completely lost it, even managers who have managed in both leagues have admitted managing in the NL is alot more challenging because of the strategic aspect.