PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant is the new MJ... Marketing that is...

twin4life
06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
I just saw this last night. I'm not sure if its been posted (I havnt seen it in a thread)

Kevin Durant staring in a movie in which the trailor looks like a "like mike" / "space jam" movie.

Durants biggest fan has no game on the court but when he meets Kevin he gets all Durants basketball ability.

Michael Jordan was in Space Jam at the age of 33 as to Durant is 23. Will Durant be bigger is the marketing/media than MJ when all is said and done?

Thoughts?

twin4life
06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/06/kevin-durant-thunderstruck-movie-trailer

Link

MiamiWadeCounty
06-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Not at this point. For one, his personality isn't polarizing enough. While many loved Jordan, he was a big-time talker and was able to market himself effectively. KD seems very passive and modest, which is nice, but not great for publicity. Guys like Kobe and Lebron have achieved worldwide fame because they are able to draw headlines and attention for good and bad.

twin4life
06-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Not at this point. For one, his personality isn't polarizing enough. While many loved Jordan, he was a big-time talker and was able to market himself effectively. KD seems very passive and modest, which is nice, but not great for publicity. Guys like Kobe and Lebron have achieved worldwide fame because they are able to draw headlines and attention for good and bad.

I agree but the only thing is KD is picking up and is only 23 years old and with movies only comes more media attention and starting in one at such a young age could lead to more smaller roles in his off the court time. Just something to think about

naps
06-18-2012, 02:29 PM
LOL. I love KD but it's not even close. Jordan was a global phenomenon. One of the most polarizing athletes ever. KD is more of a good kid as of now but lacks the charismatic character that is needed for marketing. Jordan had everything, on and off the court. He was by far the most dynamic candidate for fame and business in the history of basketball.

ChicagoJ
06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
For one who was watching the nba during the entire Jordan era I don't see durant being anywhere near what MJ was marketing wise. No player has been before or since. I don't want to over hype it, but everyone knew who Jordan was even people who hated the NBA or even hated sports. He was one of the most famous people in the world for various reasons. The only athlete that has had similar recognizable status to MJ is Tiger woods and he still pales in comparison from a marketing perspective.

Fnom11
06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
My thoughts are this movie probably has horrible acting, a horrible message, but it involves basketball and a star player I like so I may try to watch it if I'm high or something.

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Compared to the other more "animated" stars KD has the personality of a piece of cardboard. Plus Okc is a small market so that doesn't help.

Hardwood Floper
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Compared to the other more "animated" stars KD has the personality of a piece of cardboard. Plus Okc is a small market so that doesn't help.

lmao this

StinkEye
06-18-2012, 05:09 PM

ahahahahaha

8kobe24
06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
If and when Lebron wins this championship, he would be the next MJ...marketing wise that is.:hide:

StinkEye
06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
If and when Lebron wins this championship, he would be the next MJ...marketing wise that is.:hide:

He may be able to win over more casual fans, and other fair-weathered fans - you know, the kind that cheered for Kobe when he was good.

It still wont be quite the same as MJ.

AWC713
06-18-2012, 05:16 PM
MJ completely changed the game form a marketing aspect.

I believe thats one of the reasons people see him as the GOAT. He was all over tv, he changed the shoe game, and he popularized basketball to another level.

Durant will never touch that.

Hardwood Floper
06-18-2012, 05:19 PM
ahahahahaha

Lol that gif for your sig is epic...

8kobe24
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Damn...that's all I gotta say about that.

AIRMAR72
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
For one who was watching the nba during the entire Jordan era I don't see durant being anywhere near what MJ was marketing wise. No player has been before or since. I don't want to over hype it, but everyone knew who Jordan was even people who hated the NBA or even hated sports. He was one of the most famous people in the world for various reasons. The only athlete that has had similar recognizable status to MJ is Tiger woods and he still pales in comparison from a marketing perspective.

well said MJ is the blueprint who is often imitated but NEVER duplicated

8kobe24
06-18-2012, 05:34 PM
He may be able to win over more casual fans, and other fair-weathered fans - you know, the kind that cheered for Kobe when he was good.

It still wont be quite the same as MJ.

Hey now, Kobe was the next MJ up until he boned that white chick in the wrong hole.

StinkEye
06-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey now, Kobe was the next MJ up until he boned that white chick in the wrong hole.

Yeah, his skill would have taken a huge jump had he not gotten jungle fever that one night in Colorado...

Fnom11
06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
KD and Rose seem like they have really similar personalities. Both of which aren't very marketable. I really think if it weren't for the Crazy 8s/Lights being the cheapest NBA player signature shoe it wouldn't of even sold outside of Chicago.

Blazers#1Fan
06-18-2012, 09:12 PM

:clap:

Basketball- MJ
Golf - Woods
Baseball - Griffey Jr
Football - John Elway??? now brady??,Rodgers??

MJ beats all those! those are the players the different leagues promoted the most

LeBron was almost as big as MJ if he would of never left Cleveland and durant isnt even close to that

Redskins10
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
No, because KD isn't a massive douchebag.

BKLYNpigeon
06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Jordan was the pinnacle of sports, the top of the top. we speak of him as a god in the history of sports, in the likes of Pele or Ali. MJ transcended Basketball. KD or Lebron might be better basketball players, but will never be greater. MJ is one of those players that come once in a lifetime.

blams
06-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Football- Peyton Manning. Over Elway, easy.

basketfan4life
06-19-2012, 06:55 AM
One day, i asked my grandmother, she was 65 years old and didn't know reading or writing, do you know any foreign people ?(we are from europe), he tought for a while and said i know 2 foreign people.

I asked who are they?

She said; Michael Jackson and Michael Jordan. That was it, Durant has no chance of achieveing this.

MadBomber
06-19-2012, 08:02 AM
compared to the other more "animated" stars kd has the personality of a piece of cardboard. Plus okc is a small market so that doesn't help.

+1