PDA

View Full Version : Tragic story of what happened to Oden and Roy!!

sunsfan88
06-18-2012, 06:43 AM
From Greg Oden’s Report of Findings September 24, 2008:

Based upon the analysis, our recommendation is the following:

• Increase Overall Hamstring Strength
• Increase R hamstring and Glute Strength
• Improve R leg explosiveness
• Increase L Gastroc, Soleus, Glute, Hamstring and Quad Flexibility
•Consider a more efficient shoe designed to lift the entire foot to improve normal leg stride.

In Greg’s case, every exercise or target area needing improvement on his list required slow, yet focused repetitions. If Greg was asked to walk, run, squat or jump, he placed more of the load on his left leg than his weaker right leg. I informed the medical staff that this overload would put Greg at risk for a major acute injury to his left leg. Greg’s imbalance was so distinct that I even advised that staff that if he didn’t improve the weaknesses in the short-term and continue some of the rehab-like exercises for the entire season, his career could be at risk.

And you can believe it or not, but the medical staff laughed off my recommendations. In fact, we spent nearly two hours at dinner with the medical staff questioning my results and looking for reasons to discredit the results rather than search for solutions to keep the team’s multimillion dollar athlete on the court. At one point, one member of the medical staff informed me that Greg suffered from a true anatomical leg length shortness on the right side. As a result of that diagnosis, Greg had been prescribed, by physicians, to wear a heel lift in his right shoe. Well doc, I hate to be the one to tell you again, but the heel lift actually increases the load and the amount of anterior/posterior shear (forward/backward sliding) on Greg’s right knee, contributing to his need to undergo several micro-fracture surgeries.

The results of Greg’s biomechanics assessments created doubt in my mind about the leg length claims. However, I suggested an alternative to a heel lift if they truly believed that a shorter right leg was a contributing factor to his knee injuries. The solution, for an athlete with Greg’s height and leg length, an entire shoe lift (orthopedic shoe on the right side) would reduce the sheer forces in the joint and keep Greg healthy while he continued the rehab.

You can imagine the laughter that filled the restaurant from the table. “No one wears a shoe lift,” one staffer replied. “That’s crazy. Where would we get one?” To which I replied, “Hey Nike is Greg’s shoe sponsor and they are right down the street. I’m sure they could customize a shoe lift for one of their star athletes if it keeps him healthy.” To my knowledge, no shoe lift was ordered for Greg.

http://zigsports.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/greg-oden-brandon-roy-what-what-happened/

^^Says more about that and what happened with Brandon Roy.

Sad to think what could have been if the arrogant Blazers med staff were actually open minded....we may be talking about Portland and Miami in the Finals right now instead of OKC.

thenaj17
06-18-2012, 07:19 AM
It is a shame for their careers but this is hardly substantial evidence to suggest things would have turned out better had Oden had a different shoe...

waveycrockett
06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
This guy is playing monday morning QB. You honestly believe a guys with a bunch of medical degrees from ivy leagues never thought an orthopedic shoe?

sunsfan88
06-18-2012, 09:25 AM
He doesn't say the shoe would fix everything, he just says it would have helped keep Oden healthy while he's recovering.

mark1125
06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Bad luck, bad conditioning, or just inury prone. Maybe all 3, but for someone to jump in at this juncture and say it's because of the shoes is just stupid.

sharqstealth
06-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Players should avoid playing for the Blazers until they improve their medical staff.

da ThRONe
06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I've seen this same info in another thread here.

Say what you want. If I'm hiring someone to use advanced tech to study my star players to try to better understand their injuries I would pay attention.

I see no reason why the right medical instrument wouldn't help a player rehab.

GoPacers33
06-18-2012, 10:32 AM
A former teacher of mine who coached Greg in high school said that he thinks that when Greg got to Portland they gave him some sort of steroid that is supposed to heal injuries faster than expected and that he thought that the steroids actually hurt the injuries more and that now they are weaker cuz of the steroids

sep11ie
06-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Shoe's hurt him? lol

Bos_Sports4Life
06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
A trio of Roy/Aldridge/Oden would have been NASTY

ink
06-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow, it's amazing that all some people got out of that post was that he needed a shoe!! Did you read the first part of the article? Did you check out all the specific rehab instructions the med team ignored? Did you check out the link? Reading comprehension folks.

It's tragic that the medical staff didn't carefully consider the FULL evaluation done on Oden. Seems that before responding they put as much thought into it as people on an internet forum. ;)

King41
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM
^ this

GunFactor187
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
It's ok, send Greg Oden to the Pistons, Arnie Kander is a miracle man. :D

StinkEye
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
They really need to put an axe to that medical team.

Trace
06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
How credible is this? It seems that the only person supporting this claim is Ziegler himself (Even after Penn was fired, Pen was still critical of Ziegler's claims). For a forum that cries conspiracy all the time, you're really not that consistent...I mean this blog post only came out after Oden was waived.

Also:

Charges:
CONSPIRACY
THEFT
ASSIST CRIM SYND/LEAD GANG
FRAUDULENT SCHEMES/ARTIFICES
MONEY LAUNDERING
ILLEGAL CONTROL OF ENTERPRISE
SALE-UNREGISTERED SECURITIES
SALE SECURITIES-UNREGIST AGNT
FRAUD-PURCHASE/SELL SECURITIES

http://www.jailbase.com/en/arrested/az-mcso/2012-01-11/larry-wayne-ziegler-p834055
http://www.azinvestor.gov/News/2010/apr13-10.pdf
http://www.securities.arkansas.gov/!userfiles/60CV-10-933.pdf

/thread

smith&wesson
06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow, it's amazing that all some people got out of that post was that he needed a shoe!! Did you read the first part of the article? Did you check out all the specific rehab instructions the med team ignored? Did you check out the link? Reading comprehension folks.

It's tragic that the medical staff didn't carefully consider the FULL evaluation done on Oden. Seems that before responding they put as much thought into it as people on an internet forum. ;)

sounds like portland really needs a new med staff. heres 2 players that could have benifited from the staff over in phx who are known to rejuvinated older players and their careers.

KingPosey
06-18-2012, 12:51 PM
It is a shame for their careers but this is hardly substantial evidence to suggest things would have turned out better had Oden had a different shoe...

You didnt pick up on what he was saying then. He was actually talking about postural distortions within their bodies and how contractions affect extensions, opposite muscle overload, etc.

Its a whole thing, you kinda missed the point.

KingPosey
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
A former teacher of mine who coached Greg in high school said that he thinks that when Greg got to Portland they gave him some sort of steroid that is supposed to heal injuries faster than expected and that he thought that the steroids actually hurt the injuries more and that now they are weaker cuz of the steroids

Your teacher sounds informed. lol.

Trace
06-18-2012, 01:02 PM
In an interview, Ziegler admits that he has not worked with the any of the players in Portland since conducting the tests (he was explaining his non disclosure agreements). So how is he that certain that he was ignored if he has not had a professional relationship with any of the players/medical staff/management team after the tests were conducted?

He goes on and praises/name drops Tom Penn in a variety of confrontations that he has had with the Portland trainers yet Tom Penn (despite being fired) has dismissed every single one of his accusations.

TylerSL
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
yea it really sucks. Roy was a top 15 player, and Oden could be even better than Howard right now if he had been playing and progressing rather than being hurt. Imagine Portland's future.......

Stinkyoutsider
06-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Oden needed to get more work in the gym and in the weight room. If I was a part of the Blazers medical staff, all I would need to read is the first few paragraphs and then I'd be calling Greg himself and setting up extra strength training for his right leg.

It kind of reminds me about situations where players come back too early or have nagging injuries? A player uses the left leg more because the right leg is weak/injured so soon, the left leg gets injured.

Well, the damage is done though? Oden should probably retire and Roy has bad knees that are chronically bad. Those 2 with Aldridge and a point guard could have gave the Thunder a series this playoffs...

Fnom11
06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Should've played in the Lebron's. Best shoe I've ever played bball in my life.

StinkEye
06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Should've played in the Lebron's. Best shoe I've ever played bball in my life.

I was at my best in grade 12 with these http://www.shoes-4you.com/Nike-Basketball-Shoes/Lebron-James-shoes/Nike-Zoom-LeBron-James-Soldier/Nike-Zoom-LeBron-James-Soldier%28white-black-light-gold%29.html

Blazers#1Fan
06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
A trio of Roy/Aldridge/Oden would have been NASTY

dont remind me hopefully we get Drummond and Lillard

Drummond
LMA
Batum
Matthews
Lillard

KingPosey
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
dont remind me hopefully we get Drummond and Lillard

Drummond
LMA
Batum
Matthews
Lillard

The Guy from the Scooby Doo movie?

sunsfan88
06-20-2012, 05:49 AM
sounds like portland really needs a new med staff. heres 2 players that could have benifited from the staff over in phx who are known to rejuvinated older players and their careers.

:clap:

Whomewhome
06-20-2012, 07:14 AM
It is widely known that Phoenix has by far the best medical team in the NBA. They have a Cryo-Chamber (only team to have one I think).

And is also widely known that Portland has the worst.

Funny! Money doesn't always mean great things. Paul Allen is the second richest owner now and yet still refuses to even audit his medical team.

Heatcheck
06-20-2012, 10:35 AM
This guy is playing monday morning QB. You honestly believe a guys with a bunch of medical degrees from ivy leagues never thought an orthopedic shoe?

Ive seen doctors be dumber and more ignorant than that.

The only thing an ivy league degree proves is your good at studying, doesn't mean your necessarily a good doctor, or have common sense.

blastmasta26
06-20-2012, 10:44 AM
It is widely known that Phoenix has by far the best medical team in the NBA. They have a Cryo-Chamber (only team to have one I think).

And is also widely known that Portland has the worst.

Funny! Money doesn't always mean great things. Paul Allen is the second richest owner now and yet still refuses to even audit his medical team.

I read an article that said 4 teams have cryogenic chambers but Phoenix does have a great training staff.

da ThRONe
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Ive seen doctors be dumber and more ignorant than that.

The only thing an ivy league degree proves is your good at studying, doesn't mean your necessarily a good doctor, or have common sense.

A lot of times doctors get set in their ways and tend to ignore anything they aren't comfortable with.

sunsfan88
07-04-2012, 05:33 AM

Yea looks like they may have a chance after all...

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981449877