PDA

View Full Version : The people tearing Kobe apart for "0" assists. Where are you ?

basketfan4life
06-18-2012, 03:32 AM
In a 42 point game. Durant had 25 pts with "0" assists, in a finals game. Why are you not here, ripping him apart too?

Sickening double standards.

(BTW, i don't think the losses had anything to do with their zero assists)

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 03:38 AM
Durant's not his teams primary ball-handler, he also gets most of his shots within the offense.

Steelers23_06
06-18-2012, 03:45 AM
im not saying this as a heat homer. KD IS THE GOLDEN CHILD OF THE NBA. last game he had 6 point in the half. even though he was in foul trouble this would be a HUGE issue if it was lebron or kobe. grant it lebron was the same way before the decision so i aint hating but durant can do no wrong. if thunder win its bc of kd and if they lose the blame goes on the other guy(s)(mainly westbrook). but its gonna be that way until he either fails to win it all a couple more years or has a girl come to his room in denver lol. but if either of those happens he cant do wrong...aka michael jordan.

LakersMaster24
06-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Durant's not his teams primary ball-handler, he also gets most of his shots within the offense.

So pretty much your saying that Durant only score off drawn up plays and catch and shoots? Durant handles the ball just as much as Kobe does.

naps
06-18-2012, 03:46 AM
May be because Westbrook is Thunder's floor general not Durant, also Durant doesn't force shots. But I agree people would rip LeBron apart for this same scenario. Kobe also dealt with it his entire career but most of the time deservedly so.

Ebbs
06-18-2012, 03:51 AM
So pretty much your saying that Durant only score off drawn up plays and catch and shoots? Durant handles the ball just as much as Kobe does.

Lol. That statement is false. Congrats on lying to everyone even yourself.

PurpleJesus
06-18-2012, 03:52 AM
shooting percentage...

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 04:00 AM

If you really think that then that's just sad man. :pity:

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 04:01 AM
im not saying this as a heat homer. KD IS THE GOLDEN CHILD OF THE NBA. last game he had 6 point in the half. even though he was in foul trouble this would be a HUGE issue if it was lebron or kobe. grant it lebron was the same way before the decision so i aint hating but durant can do no wrong. if thunder win its bc of kd and if they lose the blame goes on the other guy(s)(mainly westbrook). but its gonna be that way until he either fails to win it all a couple more years or has a girl come to his room in denver lol. but if either of those happens he cant do wrong...aka michael jordan.

Well this is true.

basketfan4life
06-18-2012, 04:12 AM
shooting percentage...

Kobe that game, 18-33, great for a SG.

YoungOne
06-18-2012, 04:16 AM
that has nothing to do with the amount of assists, but with the willingness to pass the ball rather than taking a bad shot.

ArmLaker
06-18-2012, 05:46 AM
I assume most PSD fans don't watch any Laker games or don't understand the Laker offense. Pass it to Drew, dribble post up waste 10 seconds swing it to Gasol move out 20 ft on the perimeter, pick up your dribble pretend like you're going to shoot and give it back to Kobe with 2 seconds left on the clock with two men in your face

Hawkeye15
06-18-2012, 08:13 AM
In a 42 point game. Durant had 25 pts with "0" assists, in a finals game. Why are you not here, ripping him apart too?

I agree with you dude. Been saying it recently. It amazes me how Durant is completely immune from criticism. It's slowly starting to make me like him less and less.

dalton749
06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
If LeBron had no assists he would get ripped for it too. Was it game 1 that LeBron had none going into the 4th and they wouldn't shut up about it despite him playing most of his minutes at the 4

theheatles
06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
This is funny considering Durant called skip bayless out for skip saying westbrook shoots too much but Durant said Westbrook needs to shoot that much and that I'm a facilitator

dh144498
06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
cause all the hate are coming from kobe-haters aka lebron homers or insecure jordan stans (although IDK what they are insecure about).

xxplayerxx23
06-18-2012, 11:37 AM
KD didnt shoot as much and shot better, Durant also doesnt handle the ball like kobe does, But i think its pretty dumb kobe got ripped for that

hugepatsfan
06-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I agree with you dude. Been saying it recently. It amazes me how Durant is completely immune from criticism. It's slowly starting to make me like him less and less.

It's because he conducts himself in a way that makes people think he's a genuinely nice person. Those aren't the people the general public likes to take down. When people act cocky and like their **** doesn't stink (Kobe, Lebron, etc.) America likes to knowck them off their pedestal. It will always be like that.

KingPosey
06-18-2012, 11:46 AM

This is America, and American sports.

You have to build them ALL the way up, to the pinnacle, before you tear them down.

Hawkeye15
06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
It's because he conducts himself in a way that makes people think he's a genuinely nice person. Those aren't the people the general public likes to take down. When people act cocky and like their **** doesn't stink (Kobe, Lebron, etc.) America likes to knowck them off their pedestal. It will always be like that.

And if Durant fails to lead the Thunder to a championship this year, does it start then? I mean, its neat that he is so nice and all, but don't we have higher expectations from our stars, or does that only apply if the guy is a dick?

torocan
06-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Maybe because Durant is one of the most efficient scorers in the game?

If Kobe was scoring with high efficiency, I doubt anyone would say anything.

The fact is, Kobe is viewed by many as a volume shooter... that means shooting instead of passing even when the shot is awful. Durant generally passes out when he has a poor shot.

It's not a double standard, it's a question of context.

Hawkeye15
06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Part of me gets it. LeBron didn't get any heat when the Spurs swept the Cavs during his first finals, he was a kid, his team had no business on the same court as the Spurs, etc. Durant's team is light years better than that Cavs team, so does he start getting some criticism at all for the few things he doesn't do well, or do we continue to promote him as the golden boy?

torocan
06-18-2012, 11:58 AM
And if Durant fails to lead the Thunder to a championship this year, does it start then? I mean, its neat that he is so nice and all, but don't we have higher expectations from our stars, or does that only apply if the guy is a dick?

23 years old at his first finals. Most folks are going to give him a partial pass considering this year was better than last year for him and for OKC. Lost in the WFC last year but winning it this year is an improvement and that's what fans look for in terms of teams and players.

Experience counts as well.

Kobe/Lebron get more flack because they're experienced thus are held to a higher standard. Westbrook/Durant/Harden are still young players with evolving games.

Just like you don't rip the new guy out of college if he's a superstar but makes the occassional bonehead mistake.

But you sure as hell rip the 10 year employee for making that same mistake.

OKC will get criticism this year if they don't win the Finals, but it won't be anything near the criticism that Lebron/Wade will get simply because this is OKC's first Finals with young players and Miami's 2nd finals with veteran players.

The two themes are simple.

OKC is young players who are improving.
Miami is veterans who need to live up to the hype.

If OKC doesn't win it's a bit of a choke, but not completely unexpected.
If Miami doesn't win it's a significant choke, and there's really no excuses left.

Not a double standard, just context.

Hawkeye15
06-18-2012, 11:59 AM
23 years old at his first finals. Most folks are going to give him a partial pass considering this year was better than last year for him and for OKC. Lost in the WFC last year but winning it this year is an improvement and that's what fans look for in terms of teams and players.

Experience counts as well.

Kobe/Lebron get more flack because they're experienced thus are held to a higher standard. Westbrook/Durant/Harden are still young players with evolving games.

Just like you don't rip the new guy out of college if he's a superstar but makes the occassional bonehead mistake.

But you sure as hell rip the 10 year employee for making that same mistake.

OKC will get criticism this year if they don't win the Finals, but it won't be anything near the criticism that Lebron/Wade will get simply because this is OKC's first Finals with young players and Miami's 2nd finals with veteran players.

The two themes are simple.

OKC is young players who are improving.
Miami is veterans who need to live up to the hype.

If OKC doesn't win it's a bit of a choke, but not completely unexpected.
If Miami doesn't win it's a significant choke, and there's really no excuses left.

Not a double standard, just context.

Yet his PG is ripped routinely...

Double standard.

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe because Durant is one of the most efficient scorers in the game?

If Kobe was scoring with high efficiency, I doubt anyone would say anything.

The fact is, Kobe is viewed by many as a volume shooter... that means shooting instead of passing even when the shot is awful. Durant generally passes out when he has a poor shot.

It's not a double standard, it's a question of context.

It's not for a career question though, it's just for that particular game and Kobe was pretty efficient.

torocan
06-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Yet his PG is ripped routinely...

Double standard.

Westbrook is ripped for several reasons.

1) He's not a pure PG. Some people dislike Westbrook because he doesn't play more like Calderone or Rondo and that comes out in the criticism. For some people a PG should primarily be a facilitator. Being a combo PG opens him up to criticism from people who view the definitive PG model as players like Nash or Rondo.

2) He's not as good a scorer as Durant. Westbrook is constantly compared to Durant in terms of his scoring and that does a disservice to Westbrook. If he was on pretty much any other team except Miami or OKC nobody would say crap because he'd be the #1 scoring option. However, Durant makes him look bad by proximity. It's like being the 2nd prettiest girl at a bar... you're ugly by association.

3) He's a convenient scapegoat. When Durant goes for 32 points and leads a 4th quarter comeback it's hard to say it was his fault, so who can you blame? It's not like you see the Media going after Harden (he's just a 6th man!) or Sefilosha (well, he's just a defender!). He fits into a storyline conveniently even when he puts up 25 points so he gets bashed. It's not fair to Westbrook, but it's the reality.

Wade has a similar problem. Being 2nd bananna to a player as good as Lebron means he takes more bullets. Sometimes justified, sometimes not justified.

So Yes, for Westbrook it is a double standard, but for different reasons.

torocan
06-18-2012, 12:13 PM
It's not for a career question though, it's just for that particular game and Kobe was pretty efficient.

Kobe might very well have been efficient in a particular game and undeserving of that criticism for that single game, but for those who are critical of Kobe's efficiency and reticence to pass it's "just another example" that their criticisms are well founded.

It's kind of like saying,

"Yah, sure he was efficient that game, but it was just a good shooting night Kobe. Most nights it ends up as 30 points on 28 shots and that's killing the Lakers!"

Maybe unfair for that particular game, but might be perfectly fair as a general criticism of his play.

In the case of Durant, he's just efficient all around and passes the ball out often so people won't view a 0 assist game the same way.

History counts as well.

Hawkeye15
06-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Westbrook is ripped for several reasons.

1) He's not a pure PG. Some people dislike Westbrook because he doesn't play more like Calderone or Rondo and that comes out in the criticism. For some people a PG should primarily be a facilitator. Being a combo PG opens him up to criticism from people who view the definitive PG model as players like Nash or Rondo.

2) He's not as good a scorer as Durant. Westbrook is constantly compared to Durant in terms of his scoring and that does a disservice to Westbrook. If he was on pretty much any other team except Miami or OKC nobody would say crap because he'd be the #1 scoring option. However, Durant makes him look bad by proximity. It's like being the 2nd prettiest girl at a bar... you're ugly by association.

3) He's a convenient scapegoat. When Durant goes for 32 points and leads a 4th quarter comeback it's hard to say it was his fault, so who can you blame? It's not like you see the Media going after Harden (he's just a 6th man!) or Sefilosha (well, he's just a defender!). He fits into a storyline conveniently even when he puts up 25 points so he gets bashed. It's not fair to Westbrook, but it's the reality.

Wade has a similar problem. Being 2nd bananna to a player as good as Lebron means he takes more bullets. Sometimes justified, sometimes not justified.

So Yes, for Westbrook it is a double standard, but for different reasons.

I understand all of this, and agree with some of it. My point is, for being heavily regarded as the 2nd best player in the NBA, I never see anyone pick at the few faults Durant has. By his age, LeBron was already getting picked apart. Just find it interesting. I wonder if it starts this year if Durant fails to help win a title.

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Kobe might very well have been efficient in a particular game and undeserving of that criticism for that single game, but for those who are critical of Kobe's efficiency and reticence to pass it's "just another example" that their criticisms are well founded.

It's kind of like saying,

"Yah, sure he was efficient that game, but it was just a good shooting night Kobe. Most nights it ends up as 30 points on 28 shots and that's killing the Lakers!"

Maybe unfair for that particular game, but might be perfectly fair as a general criticism of his play.

In the case of Durant, he's just efficient all around and passes the ball out often so people won't view a 0 assist game the same way.

History counts as well.

No i understand its just to keep the question in its proper perspective there were other posters in this thread who are citing Kobe's perceived chucking history but in reality it was just about this one game. (which Kobe was more efficient than Durant in I might add).

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I understand all of this, and agree with some of it. My point is, for being heavily regarded as the 2nd best player in the NBA, I never see anyone pick at the few faults Durant has. By his age, LeBron was already getting picked apart. Just find it interesting. I wonder if it starts this year if Durant fails to help win a title.

:pray: That way I can actually go back to liking the guy.

JC_
06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I criticize Durant for his dumb fouls on defense. The only reason I criticize that is because he's so efficient on offense that it hurts the team when he's sitting due to foul trouble.

One of the reasons Kobe is criticize'd is he has a couple of the best big men in the NBA who are often very efficient. Not very difficult to pass it down low for an assist.

miller74
06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Lol. That statement is false. Congrats on lying to everyone even yourself.

hahaha

LAKERMANIA
06-18-2012, 12:52 PM

It's the PSD NBA forum... What exactly are you expecting that there be no double standards? Thats INSANE!

Yunqn
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Threads like this should just get deleted once the mods read it..

Kobe and durant have two totally different styles of playing ..

The REASON kd wont get any blame is because he isnt the guy havin the ball the most or taking the most shots on his team.. Its westbrook

Kobe gets blamed because HE's the guy with the ball and hes the guy taking the most shots!!

This thread should be more in comparison with lebron because he would get blamed for not demanding the ball with his greatness over everyone..

THATS WHAT KD SHOULD BE GETTING BLAMED FOR!!!!!

Stinkyoutsider
06-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Because Durant is a fan favorite and has a great image. He's respectful and young. That's why he's getting these passes. He hasn't made the same mistakes Lebron made with the decision and doesn't have the rep Kobe has for putting up shots.

That's the reason imo. And, that's why he'll continue to get away with 0 assist games in the future (at least for a while).

dalton749
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
because the op is a douche and the media want to taste his tears?

albertc86
06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I assume most PSD fans don't watch any Laker games or don't understand the Laker offense. Pass it to Drew, dribble post up waste 10 seconds swing it to Gasol move out 20 ft on the perimeter, pick up your dribble pretend like you're going to shoot and give it back to Kobe with 2 seconds left on the clock with two men in your face

This. Plus, zero assists doesn't mean a player didn't pass the ball; it means their teammate(s) didn't convert when it was passed to them.

Fnom11
06-18-2012, 08:51 PM

Anything above 50% is amazing regardless of position. 45% is usually was Kobe goes for so that a great game for him.

However, Kobe has the ball in his hands every offensive possession, he was basically their primary ball handlers/floor general until recently with the Sessions acquisition. Furthermore, Kobe tends to take a lot of bad and or contested shots whereas Durant doesn't( at least it's minimal).

LeMarcus
06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

However, Kobe has the ball in his hands every offensive possession, he was basically their primary ball handlers/floor general until recently with the Sessions acquisition. Furthermore, Kobe tends to take a lot of bad and or contested shots whereas Durant doesn't( at least it's minimal).

This.

Why wouldn't it be a fair judgement?Kobe's been in the league for 16 seasons now. Long enough for fans to have recognized and been familiarized with Kobe's mindset/game.

Having "0" assists in your first Finals appearance > a 16-year veteran in the playoffs with "0" assists.

Hawkize31
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Here's the problem with the point of this thread: Durant scores efficiently, Kobe does not.

Kevj77
06-19-2012, 12:29 AM
And if Durant fails to lead the Thunder to a championship this year, does it start then? I mean, its neat that he is so nice and all, but don't we have higher expectations from our stars, or does that only apply if the guy is a dick?I don't think so. He has a built in fall guy. Westbrook will take all the hate at least this time for taking too many shots.

greg_ory_2005
06-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Do you please yourself while watching videos of Kobe?

StinkEye
06-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Do you please yourself while watching videos of Kobe?

That is my pleasa!

topdog
06-19-2012, 01:19 AM

You are a sick twisted dude :puke:

Durant doesn't invite criticism by making stupid quotes that the media can pick apart or by shying away from big shots. How can you not like a guy who shoots over 50% as a jumpshooter and acts like it's just another day at the office?

Oh, and he's just 23 and hasn't been annointed anything of anything. He's just KD.

Finally, assist to whom? He'd be criticized if he did pass up good shots and make Thabo, Perkins and Serge shoot. Westbrook is primarily going to get his shot off the dribble and Harden handles the ball aggressively when he's in so Durant really doesn't have many assists to make.

basketfan4life
06-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Here's the problem with the point of this thread: Durant scores efficiently, Kobe does not.

we're talking about that 1 game, Kobe was very efficient on that game and people still found that reason to bash him. Altough he passed it to open shooters 5 or 6 times that game and they couldn't make the open shot.

But a lot of box-score looking Kobe haters bashed him to hell for this.

shep33
06-19-2012, 02:43 AM
I have to admit, I love KD, but he never get criticized ever. I think the difference is Durant being a humble, really nice kid, and Kobe being a ****.

That being said... I love Kobe and Durant lol

MickeyMgl
06-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Durant's not his teams primary ball-handler

Neither is Bryant.

he also gets most of his shots within the offense.

So does Bryant.

MickeyMgl
06-19-2012, 02:54 AM
shooting percentage...

Bryant shot 55%, Durant shot 58%.

Seriously? You think that's the difference?

naps
06-19-2012, 03:19 AM
So does Bryant.

Kobe gets most of his shots within offense? LMFAO!

I honestly don't think you know what that means.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2012, 08:23 AM
You are a sick twisted dude :puke:

Durant doesn't invite criticism by making stupid quotes that the media can pick apart or by shying away from big shots. How can you not like a guy who shoots over 50% as a jumpshooter and acts like it's just another day at the office?

Oh, and he's just 23 and hasn't been annointed anything of anything. He's just KD.

Finally, assist to whom? He'd be criticized if he did pass up good shots and make Thabo, Perkins and Serge shoot. Westbrook is primarily going to get his shot off the dribble and Harden handles the ball aggressively when he's in so Durant really doesn't have many assists to make.

I don't care if he is the pope, when an athlete is widely regarded as a top 3 player in his sport, when he doesn't dominate, its talked about. Except with Durant...

b@llhog24
06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Neither is Bryant.

You're a liar

So does Bryant.

In comparison to Durant? No he doesn't.

koreancabbage
06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
kobe is the system!

lakers24win
06-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Kobe always gets unfaired criticisms even when he plays good while Durant never gets none http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/380297_402262376473004_1201291280_n.jpg

hugepatsfan
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't care if he is the pope, when an athlete is widely regarded as a top 3 player in his sport, when he doesn't dominate, its talked about. Except with Durant...

Not true. The media didn't trash Brady for the SB loss in February.

topdog
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM

I feel like you would be the guy criticising Luke Skywalker for blowing up the Death Star: "Sure, he blew up the Death Star, but they'll just rebuild it. Not to mention, he didn't manage to kill Vader."

Dude! He just learned the force like a couple days ago! What do you expect?!

lol

Btw, Pope Benedict reminds me of Emperor Palpatine.

[This has been my Bill Simmons sort of basketball talk. I hope you enjoyed it]

Hawkeye15
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Not true. The media didn't trash Brady for the SB loss in February.

Its well known that a previous champion is immune to criticism, cmon :)

Hawkeye15
06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I feel like you would be the guy criticising Luke Skywalker for blowing up the Death Star: "Sure, he blew up the Death Star, but they'll just rebuild it. Not to mention, he didn't manage to kill Vader."

Dude! He just learned the force like a couple days ago! What do you expect?!

lol

Btw, Pope Benedict reminds me of Emperor Palpatine.

[This has been my Bill Simmons sort of basketball talk. I hope you enjoyed it]

If Luke doesn't dominate doing it by posting a PER of 28+, then yes, he will hear my roar.

hugepatsfan
06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Its well known that a previous champion is immune to criticism, cmon :)

Unless Lebron is on your team. Ask D-Wade.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Unless Lebron is on your team. Ask D-Wade.

haha

tredigs
06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
KD is posting a 28.7% Playoff Usage% to Kobe's 35.8% Usage%.

KD is posting 63.4% TS% to Kobe's 52.5% TS%.

Kobe's a dominant ball handler as opposed to KD being primarily off the ball; nowhere even close to comparable when it comes to scoring efficiently. And his team lost. Again. Durant has gotten better and better and his team continues to go farther and farther despite being incredibly young still. What don't you get again, exactly?

Meaze_Gibson
06-19-2012, 03:39 PM

But Durant is dominating tho. He's averaging 30 pts on 20 shots. Lol he is shooting 57% from field and 40% from 3 while being guarded by a great defensive team. He is also the leader in this series in 4th quarter points. As a top 3 player when you are shooting and closing that well, you can avoid criticism.

smith&wesson
06-19-2012, 03:44 PM

+1 well said. i def agree with this. .

John Walls Era
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Kobe has better playmaking ability and calls himself a playmaker.

kenzo400
06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Durant is not the NBA golden child. If he was they wouldn't call so many fouls on him early on.

mike44
06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Kobe is a guard and Durant is a forward. Guards usually get more assists, forwards more rebounds. It would be a bigger deal if he got zero rebounds.

RLundi
06-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Homer Alert.