PDA

View Full Version : More Impressive: No-No on LSD or Perfect Game With A Hangover?

DiPasquale7
06-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Dock Ellis pitched a no-no on LSD in 1970. 6 K's, 8 BB's.

"I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters, and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes, I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

David Wells pitched a perfect game with a hangover. 11 K's.

I'd think it would have to be the no-no on LSD but what are your thoughts?

Jeffy25
06-18-2012, 01:44 AM
que?

grandsalami
06-18-2012, 01:50 AM
:D that made me laugh

mikekhelxD
06-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Try acid then go to park and see. Hangover is not that bad.

Ron!n
06-18-2012, 02:20 AM
Well keep in mind Ellis had 8 BBs and I don't know how many batter he hit. 11ks in a perfect game is pretty impressive. But then you have to balance that out with the LSD vs. Hangover.

popo85
06-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Didn't Wells take ecstasy pills the day before?

ugafan
06-18-2012, 02:35 AM
best video ever perhaps?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14

lavell12
06-18-2012, 05:03 AM
I thought this was going to be about Don Larson who was hungover when he threw the perfecto in the World Series. He was not even supposed to pitch but the scheduled pitcher got sick the day of the game.

Halladay
06-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Being able to dress yourself and throw a baseball on LSD is remarkable enough in my books. LSD no-no and its not even close.

FraziersKnicks
06-18-2012, 06:32 AM
best video ever perhaps?

That is amazing :laugh2:

That's actually him narrating it as well.. Pretty cool.

Pinstripe pride
06-18-2012, 08:37 AM
LSD no-no

infernoscurse
06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
screw you , Hangover all the way

Say no to drugs!

ManningToTyree
06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
LSD No-No by far.

Fly
06-18-2012, 10:10 AM
LSD no-no without a doubt.

es0terik
06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Voted for the wrong option lol. So tired, feel like I'm on LSD.

The no-no.

PapaPilo00
06-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Couldn't even imagine pitching in a mlb game with out LSD. At times it looks like the strike zone is huge!

Mr Haha
06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
To be able to stay put on a mound on LSD for 9 innings is an incredible feat in concentration. I'd have been out in the outfield picking flowers.

the_jon
06-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Dock Ellis on LSD. He was on a lot too. How in the hell did he locate anything? He said he couldn't see the glove or the catcher a lot of the time. That must have been trippy as ****.

jlohm1
06-18-2012, 11:53 AM
LSD easily

KingPosey
06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
The LSD no no was awesome, but he let so many people reach base I dont know.

noodle
06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Could you even imagine being on a pitchers mound in front of thousands of people tripping your face off? That in itself would be difficult enough without freaking out...I heard a rumor that John Candelaria pitched a shutout while freebasing crack back in '87, now that's ****ing impressive!

TheIlladelph16
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Being able to dress yourself and throw a baseball on LSD is remarkable enough in my books. LSD no-no and its not even close.

This and its really not close at all. Being hungover sucks and I'm sure it was insanely difficult, but pitching a no-no on LSD is absolutely incredible to me haha

The Ooh Child
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
If someone just took a little bit of LSD, then I think pitching with a hangover would be more difficult, but it sounded like old Dock was really tripping balls, so he obviously wins.

MotownWebGuy
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Say no to drugs!

Alcohol is a legal drug.

Some of my best offensive baseball games and some of my best golf games were on bad hangovers. The pounding head-feeling aided me in keeping my head still.

KingsOfQueens
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
LSD no-no all day.

northsider
06-18-2012, 01:47 PM
LMAO it's not even remotely close. The fact that Doc's head didn't explode from the noise of the crowd or freak out is a feat in itself. I still have a hard time believing that took place but, it obviously did.

If you have ever tripped or taking a hallucinogen period you can appreciate just how insane that is.

Rivera
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
hangover

youd be surprised how focused people get when there on drugs...they get into a zone

they either do remarkable...or really lousy...im sure the dude on lsd was zeroing in on the catchers glove and tried to legit hit it everytime. he knew he was in a ballpark so of course he isnt gonna get freaked out. you dont loose your sight or your location when on drugs, typically you know where you are unless if you just basically od'ed

i cant even get out of bed with a hangover sometimes and im always complainin about a headache

so imo.... perfect game with a hangover > no no on LSD

and before people say " oh i dont know what lsd is" brotha's i know exactly what lsd is and i see people walk the night all the time trippin on lsd

kjoke
06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
This was pretty funny comment

Dock Ellis
Ellis Dock
Ellis D.
LSD

T 980
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I wish Dock Ellis' game was somewhere out there. I'd pay an *** load of money to see it

northsider
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
hangover

youd be surprised how focused people get when there on drugs...they get into a zone

they either do remarkable...or really lousy...im sure the dude on lsd was zeroing in on the catchers glove and tried to legit hit it everytime. he knew he was in a ballpark so of course he isnt gonna get freaked out. you dont loose your sight or your location when on drugs, typically you know where you are unless if you just basically od'ed

i cant even get out of bed with a hangover sometimes and im always complainin about a headache

so imo.... perfect game with a hangover > no no on LSD

and before people say " oh i dont know what lsd is" brotha's i know exactly what lsd is and i see people walk the night all the time trippin on lsd

Uhhh I've known I was in a basement with friends and I still managed to freak out let alone the magnitude and noise levels would be heightened from the drug. Just cause some people can super focus on it really doesn't take anything away from the fact his brain was practically scrambled eggs and he pitched in a professional baseball game. It's insane to say the least.

I would imagine there have been a TON of feats done while a guy was hungover and even more so they prob. happen every year. Where as I would bet my life this is one of the very few times a guy ever stepped foot on a ML field tripping on acid let alone one that functioned and threw a no hitter.

northsider
06-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Also I imagine that wasn't Well's first rodeo of being hungover on the mound or in a game. Just a hunch.

JohnBoy326
06-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm going hangover, I feel like death on a hangover. On LSD I feel like I can do ****ing anything. I tried lighting my hand on fire to prove to my friends I was God, LSD is no joke. Hangover I throw up trying to move so I'm gonna go with hangover, by a long shot.

the_jon
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
If someone just took a little bit of LSD, then I think pitching with a hangover would be more difficult, but it sounded like old Dock was really tripping balls, so he obviously wins.
Yeah there's no way he'd be tripping as much as he said on just 1 or 2 hits (especially if he was used to it) He said he thought Jimi Hendrix was trying to swing his guitar at his pitches lol

haggis
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM

You have no idea what LSD is.

SACNYY
06-18-2012, 03:29 PM
LSD no no

Jeffy25
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I've dealt with many hangovers, some are worse than others, and the degree of them are all varying, depends what you drank, how much, and how long ago, and then your body of course.

As for LSD, never tried it, couldn't answer the question fairly.

CityofTreez
06-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Say no to drugs!

You've never done LSD, so your opinion is Mute!

LSD is incredible, and that man is amazing for accomplishing the feat.

JetLife
06-18-2012, 05:18 PM
The perfect game hungover is much more impressive to me. First of all, it was an infinitely better performance stat wise. Walking 8 guys is crap. Secondly, LSD isn't what the media makes it out to be. You do not hallucinate purple dragons. It actually sharpens your senses. A hangover on the other hand literally saps your strength.

northsider
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
The perfect game hungover is much more impressive to me. First of all, it was an infinitely better performance stat wise. Walking 8 guys is crap. Secondly, LSD isn't what the media makes it out to be. You do not hallucinate purple dragons. It actually sharpens your senses. A hangover on the other hand literally saps your strength.

LMAO and also allows for massive trails, echoing, paranoia, light swallowing stuff.

Not sure what kind of acid you have dropped however it can be VERY intense. Never have I seen a purple dragon or anything but, I know damn well I would've curled into a ball on the mound and cried myself to sleep.

LSD today compared to then is also a whole different ball game as it is rare to actually get good acid. Just cause it sharpens senses doesn't make what he did easy. He himself said he couldn't even see the catchers mit at times.

jbro732
06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
It depends how hard he was tripping. If he had any kind of visuals than thats an insane feat. Either way hangovers = no big deal, so Doc Ellis all the way.

Jeffy25
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
btw

His quote of what he witnessed throughout the game

:laugh2:

onlythisfar41
06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
For anyone out there whos ever tried acid or any other powerful hallucinogen, trust me its the LSD no-no by FAAAAAARRRRR. Your concentration is all over the place as its sensory overload with the things going on around you.

Honestly its overwhelming at times especially as its been dragging on for hours and hours. Its nothing short of amazing what Dock did and there should be a special section in the hall of fame devoted to him and the amazing feat he accomplished on the glorious day.

ChongInc.
06-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I've accomplished a few impressive things wile extremely hung over (mostly hot girl related), but acid makes a few days a write off. Very impressive. I wonder how much he took?

Beltrans Mole
06-18-2012, 08:30 PM
I've never taken LSD and I've been hungover too many times to count, but I'd imagine pitching a no-hitter on LSD is tough. I'd also imagine that many pitchers have had some great performances when they are hungover. Not saying it's unimpressive, but I just can't imagine what being on a major league mound on LSD is like, nevermind not allowing a hit.

runnermjr1296
06-18-2012, 09:12 PM
You ever do LSD??? Believe me its amazing that he could even find the catchers mitt on LSD,,,or it was crappy LSD,but considering the era it was probably good LSD

the_jon
06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
btw

His quote of what he witnessed throughout the game

:laugh2:
"I caught the ball and tagged the base all in one motion and I said 'oooh, I just made a touchdown'"

ChongInc.
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Imagine what the catcher was thinking lmfao!

LongIslandIcedZ
06-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Trick question.

RA Dickey is more impressive

Arch Stanton
06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
The LSD could've focused him a bit more. It's not like Wells was drunk. He was hungover. Hangovers worse.

NYKnicks4511
06-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Not even close, no-no on LSD. The things that go through your mind and the random epiphanies I would come to would just make me want to sit on the mound and build a dirt castle.

NYKnicks4511
06-18-2012, 10:49 PM
The LSD could've focused him a bit more. It's not like Wells was drunk. He was hungover. Hangovers worse.

No.

WOwolfOL
06-18-2012, 10:53 PM
. Anybody who says hangover has either never tripped or had some weak ****.

Ill21
06-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Accomplishing anything on LSD is amazing.

Ill21
06-18-2012, 10:58 PM

Clearly you have never tripped

Arch Stanton
06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Clearly you have never tripped

Clearly! :facepalm:Do you remember the Grateful Dead or Jimmy Hendrix? They were pretty impressive while tripping, and shot up. Granted its music vs sports but that doesn't matter. They were in zone. It's difficult to get in a zone when your hungover.

Arch Stanton
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
No.

Good argument!

Arch Stanton
06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
I used to play Lacrosse and some guys I played with would occassionally eat mushrooms and go off. They were locked in. I'm not suggesting it but it CLEARLY helped them focus. In the same respect it could severely limit them. That's why it's best to not partake.

xabial
06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Do you know what LSD Is? The reason the drug was banned was because people lept to their deaths thinking they could fly. Others scratched themselves to death thinking bugs were crawling out of them. Or put their hands in fire because they thought they could.

Unless your experienced don't do LSD.. yet alone pitch while on it.

So pitching while on LSD would be more impressive

C-ross12
06-19-2012, 05:22 PM
How about a pitcher on Bath salts? How would he do? Would he eat the ball?

pd1dish
06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
LSD no hitter is much more impressive. every single pro player can say theyve played on a hangover, but how many can say they went out there on LSD?

pd1dish
06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
lol at the people saying you can "get into the a zone" while tripping. how about you go actually trip and then come back to me. ill be honest and say ive never done LSD, shrooms, or acid, but i have done DMT and it was absolutely INSANE!! i took a couple hits of that and just got planted on a couch. if a baseball was coming towards me, i would have thought an alien was shooting at me. honestly, i cant believe he didnt freak out on the baseball field.

northsider
06-19-2012, 05:54 PM
lol at the people saying you can "get into the a zone" while tripping. how about you go actually trip and then come back to me. ill be honest and say ive never done LSD, shrooms, or acid, but i have done DMT and it was absolutely INSANE!! i took a couple hits of that and just got planted on a couch. if a baseball was coming towards me, i would have thought an alien was shooting at me. honestly, i cant believe he didnt freak out on the baseball field.

It seems from his stories that he def. didn't have that type of trip either. However guys def. have taking acid or shrooms in order to achieve an sense of enlightenment and are essentially super focusing on good thoughts and inner peace. Some even say they find it while tripping and that they can block out anything remotely negative. Me myself however freaked out when looking at myself in the mirror or when I tried to take a piss and forgot how. Can't even fathom being on a baseball field lol.

It's not that crazy to think it could have a positive affect. With that said though Doc's sounded like he was just tripping his *** off and that in itself is ****ing alarming he didn't just leave the stadium.

Arch Stanton
06-19-2012, 07:50 PM
You have no clue. Wells was basically nothing more than under the weather with his affliction while Ellis was straight up on another planet.

And apparently you do :facepalm:. One guy was juiced up the other was recovering.

Arch Stanton
06-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Do you know what LSD Is? The reason the drug was banned was because people lept to their deaths thinking they could fly. Others scratched themselves to death thinking bugs were crawling out of them. Or put their hands in fire because they thought they could.

Unless your experienced don't do LSD.. yet alone pitch while on it.

So pitching while on LSD would be more impressive

I think you're thinking of Angel Dust or PCP. People have done some incredible things on drugs. Drugs can effect people differently, even LSD. This guy could also be a bit dramatic with his storytelling. I just don't think it's as obvious as some posters seem to think it is.

Spiderman 1nner
06-19-2012, 07:56 PM
As someone who has taken LSD many times in the past I'll tell you that the hangover perfect game is far more impressive. LSD while sometimes can make you a total pile of mush if you start over analyzing everything, also is capable of making you really focused and make everything feel super easy. It heightens your senses and almost makes you feel like you have the ability to predetermine what people are going to say or do. I've played every sport multiple times tripping and there's the trips where you feel like its too intense and you don't have the patience for it and there are the trips where you get in a zone and your brain becomes like a super computer. Doing anything with a hangover just drains the life out of you, especially playing a baseball game in the hot sun, so to go 9 innings and be flawless when you feel sickly and your veins pulsating from the booze is a pretty remarkable feat. It also helps that as the pitcher, you dictate the tempo of the game and aren't waiting on someone else, I'd lose it playing the field tripping lol for the record I am not condoning the use of either

northsider
06-19-2012, 08:07 PM
The difference is he didn't explain a focused trip. He was essentially mush as you just said. This wasn't some sort of enlightened trip, Doc was literally just tripping his *** off and throwing the baseball.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-21-2012, 12:40 AM
LSD no-no easily

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-21-2012, 12:41 AM

Well said lol

jiggin
06-21-2012, 01:15 AM
anyone who is actually questioning which is better has never been on acid...

...its not even close, not even comparable.

iam brett favre
06-21-2012, 01:18 AM
The LSD no-no is literally the most impressive thing I've ever seen in sports. History.

Arch Stanton
06-21-2012, 01:32 AM
anyone who is actually questioning which is better has never been on acid...

...its not even close, not even comparable.

What if you're on the double dipped double dosed Jesus Christ Rick Vaughn acid and Jerry Garcia appears in the sky and tells you to throw 100 mph strikes or else Jesus will strike down on you with lightning bolts made of tapioca pudding.

If this guy took too much acid, then the lights from the stadium, and the fans in the stands would of made him bonkers. But if if he took just the right amount. Just enough to get that edge. It could of given him just that... An edge. He could've been like Hunter S. Thompson but on the diamond not the page. No one knows.

Arch Stanton
06-21-2012, 02:23 AM

So you've never done LSD but you want people to check with you before posting? :facepalm:
You and most are missing the point. Drugs can influence people in different ways. Do we know how much LSD Doc Ellis took? He could've taken a very minimal amount. His story is interesting because he pitched a no hitter. Do we have all the facts from this head case? Or are we just injecting our own experiences or perceived experiences into his story because it's intriguing. It's clearly a conceit to a Hollywood storyline ... 1970's Pirates Pitchers throws no-no on LSD...

Or...

High schooler pisses on electric fence and gets enlarged testies...

Or...

Burgular dressed as tooth fairy steals dollar from 7 yr old then gets cavity..

Or Santa Claus drives a motor cycle in Vietnam...

These all sound more interesting than David Wells Pitched a no hitter while hungover. But does that make it more difficult?

What about Oil Can Boyd who was smoking crack for years in Boston? Isn't he looking for his true Hollywood story? Oh wait he didn't pitch a no hitter?

Arch Stanton
06-21-2012, 03:02 AM
I still say you are WAY off. Sure a few of your friends played hackey sack while high and had a great rally....it wasn't in front of thousands and thousands of people with bright lights blaring down on you and a large amount of people watching your every move. A lot of people wouldn't even go to the liquor store across the street if they where frying balls, while tons of people operate their normal day while being hungover on a daily basis.

(clearing throat sound) Jerry Garcia, Jimmy Hendrix, Trey Anastasio, Do I need to say more? Are you assuming his balls were frying?

keithy19
06-21-2012, 03:16 AM
I went with the LSD.

SportsNY
06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
I've never done acid, but I'd assume it's harder to function on.

Post 100 :dance:

hugepatsfan
06-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Obviously the no-no on LSD.

netsgiantsyanks
06-21-2012, 11:58 AM
best video ever perhaps?

starting pitcher: you, sucka!

DodgerBlue8188
06-21-2012, 12:31 PM
8 walks isn't too impressive.

Arch Stanton
06-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Those guys all did quite a bit of LSD throughout their life by most accounts. Also, artistic performance is not the same as physical performance. Last I checked rock stars are a lot more likely to be performing under the effects of hallucinogens than professional sports stars. LSD kind of goes hand in hand with artistic creativity, while no one can say the same with LSD and professional sports.

Could there be some unique cases where an athlete was somehow mentally aided by being under the influence of mind-expanding hallucinogens? Sure, I believe it's possible. I don't think it is very likely though. Unless we're talking about a small amount of the weakest acid ever compared to the worst hangover in the world, the only logical answer here is "No No on LSD".

That's your opinion. And your making judgement on imaginary facts that support a case you haven't backed up with any type of fact.
Logical is anything but!

Arch Stanton
06-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Once again, you are clueless. My interpretation makes a hell of a lot more sense than yours.

How so? My argument is only that it's not an open-and-shut case.

The X
06-25-2012, 01:43 AM
best video ever perhaps?

Yeah, sure... Now you all comment on it but when I created this awhile back: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=647409