PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook:Overrated or Underrated?

GSWFanInLA
06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I know this will draw a lot of controversy since he is very good at his craft which is scoring but people don't like that at the pg position.

0nekhmer
06-17-2012, 10:04 PM
He's a good scorer but forces the issue too much sometimes. I think he's underrated as a passer tho

DLCK
06-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Overrated PG Underrated SG ... where he should play. But again im not sure hed dominate the bigger stronger 2 guards in the league

Cal827
06-17-2012, 10:05 PM
I think underrated. People act like this guy is keeping OKC from being the best team of all time. At his best, he's a bit less scoring but better passing version of Derrick Rose.

Swashcuff
06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
He's neither. He's misunderstood. Most who criticize him really don't understand what he brings to his team. There is a reason why Durant continues to praise him as much as he does for everything he's doing for their team.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 10:12 PM
both.

Baller1
06-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Underrated. Doesn't matter what he does, it's wrong in the majority's eyes.

rocket
06-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Both

D-Will4Prez
06-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Probably overrated by Thunder fans, but the guy has drawn a ton of undeserved criticism lately. I would say severely underrated by most of the league. He passes much better than most people give him credit for, he just doesn't do it as much as he should.

kingkenny01
06-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Just rated i think he is viewed exactly as he should be he is a great player with flaws in being a real point guard, he is boom or bust in helping the teams

dhopisthename
06-17-2012, 10:31 PM
underrated. he takes WAY to much criticism for this teams issues

PraiseTheKing23
06-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Way, way overrated. Second most overrated player in the league behind Jimmy Harden.

Cal827
06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
^ Welcome to PSD, Troll :D

TrueFan420
06-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Way, way overrated. Second most overrated player in the league behind Jimmy Harden.

Can a mod just permanent ban this clown

Mosesmoreno#1
06-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Damn I love Russell, but he needs to stop thinking he's Derrick rose. :)

jam
06-17-2012, 10:50 PM
An embarrassment to the game. Having said that, he's improved a lot.

Fnom11
06-17-2012, 11:18 PM
I think most people on PSD put him where he belongs. The media changes their opinion on him every game though. He's a great player and deserves a lot of blame and recognition.

Game 2 may have been his fault but he played great in game 1 and 3.

MiamiWadeCounty
06-17-2012, 11:19 PM
i think he's rated pretty fairly. he gets his fair share of criticism for sure, but he is also praised for his athleticism and scoring.

koreancabbage
06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
i like Westbrook as a player but he's playing next to greatness and needs to run pick and roll with Durant all day long

Chronz
06-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Underrated, people think its easy to create for others when you play the majority of your time alongside 2 non-shooters and the 3rd being limited to midrange shots. Its not impossible but people need to drop the whole, hes too aggressive angle. He has to be aggressive, hes doesnt really play with lineups where he can defer.

b@llhog24
06-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Underrated. Doesn't matter what he does, it's wrong in the majority's eyes.

Pretty much this.

justinnum1
06-17-2012, 11:47 PM
he just tries to do to much imo

UPRock
06-17-2012, 11:55 PM
He should play SG, where he belongs.

JNoel
06-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Overrated, I've said it all along, while his stock is at a high, try to get a player like Rondo and Ray Allen(sign and trade) to get someone who is actually a team player and get another reliable shooter

BULLSFAN0810
06-18-2012, 06:24 AM
He is a combo guard.. It will take him a few to run the team... The coach when with a player like he, should control him until he is ready ... Ie tony parker and pop, ie Billups larry brown.

He thinks he is Derrick Rose.. He is Drexler to MJ in my oppinion. Not a better dribbler, shooter, or passer, because Rose unlike Westbrook is a natural PG.

Imo if OKC loses, Its because Westbrook isn't a pure Pg. and can't take over to attack CORRECTLY, by involving team mates....

Debar
06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
well if westbrook is overrated then so is rose..if u replace rose with westbrook they would still be the same team. They play the same way

BULLSFAN0810
06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
well if westbrook is overrated then so is rose..if u replace rose with westbrook they would still be the same team. They play the same way

That's illogical...Rose is a actual PG.. West brook its trying to learn to play PG. West brook, when played by Wade is stifled a bit, Wade vs Rose is a no contest.. Reason? Westbrook is less athletic, not as fast, and isn't as good of a scorer, game resembles a SG....And most important.... With all the scoring both can do, Rose can actually run a team better because he is naturally a PG, and had been one most his life.

BULLSFAN0810
06-18-2012, 08:54 AM
He should play SG, where he belongs.

He can't... If he did he will lose what makes him special. He would be mediocre.. He is actually better at pg, he needs to learn to play pg better. Watch when Wade guards him, he gets off, but not like he normally does...which brings me to my second point, I've been saying since 2006, Wade is better at pg..he has the ball in his hand, and he can pass..hard to guard, he will lock down pg he faces, he isn't tall enough anymore, and is a hesitant shooter. At pg he regains his dominance.

YashBoone
06-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Cant stand how people want to nit pick every single little thing.

Russell's Westbrook is what , 22 years old, and has progressively gotten to superstar status and is in the MBA finals..... And for you may Sayers, YES, it has just as much to do with him as it does durant.

No, he isn't a "true" pg but how many point guards in the league are? And for that matter, how many true point guards can do the things that he does?

setman2000
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Here's a good article from the Denver Post yesterday where a Nuggets writer calls Westbrook a "Coach Killer".

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_20875224/mark-kiszla-give-me-ty-lawson-over-russell

King41
06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
overrated ! everytime he pumped up and celebrates himself ... no need

zB_#85
06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Over rated or under rated?

He's neither... he's a clone of Derrick Rose (who is the NBA's darling) so why does he take so much heat? His #'s are pretty much exact same. Assists are the exact same for their careers, both at 6.8. He knows his strengths and he plays to them, he's not perfect but I'd rather have a guy of his mentality than a guy afraid of the big moments. He's a dynamic, scoring point guard. It's not a question of being over rated or under rated, it's just a matter of no one wanting to accept him for what he is and for some reason this guy can't do anything right in the court of public opinion. I feel a little bad for him, I think a guy like D-Wade has way more holes in his game than Westbrook. Westbrook has a more complete game at a younger age, D-Wade has never taken the time to develop a consistent outside game and he's 30 already. Not that Westbrook's outside game is super consistent, but it's already better than Wades. By the time Westy is 30 I expect his outside game to be light years ahead of the 30 y/o D-Wade's.

BULLSFAN0810
06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Over rated or under rated?

He's neither... he's a clone of Derrick Rose (who is the NBA's darling) so why does he take so much heat? His #'s are pretty much exact same. Assists are the exact same for their careers, both at 6.8. He knows his strengths and he plays to them, he's not perfect but I'd rather have a guy of his mentality than a guy afraid of the big moments. He's a dynamic, scoring point guard. It's not a question of being over rated or under rated, it's just a matter of no one wanting to accept him for what he is and for some reason this guy can't do anything right in the court of public opinion. I feel a little bad for him, I think a guy like D-Wade has way more holes in his game than Westbrook. Westbrook has a more complete game at a younger age, D-Wade has never taken the time to develop a consistent outside game and he's 30 already. Not that Westbrook's outside game is super consistent, but it's already better than Wades. By the time Westy is 30 I expect his outside game to be light years ahead of the 30 y/o D-Wade's.

One carries a team, the other shots you out of it...simple as that... Both great, but don't try to say they are the same because they aren't... Similar but not same

zB_#85
06-18-2012, 10:20 PM
One carries a team, the other shots you out of it...simple as that... Both great, but don't try to say they are the same because they aren't... Similar but not same

Says the Bulls fan...

Westbrook / PG / 23 years / 6'3" / 187 lbs

Rose / PG / 23 years / 6'3" / 190 lbs

Westbrook 11-12 season:
23.6 ppg / 5.5 apg / 4.6 rpg / 1.7 spg / 3.6 topg / 46% fg / 32% 3pt / 82% ft

Rose 11-12 season:
21.8 ppg / 7.9 apg / 3.4 rpg / .9 spg / 3.0 topg / 46% fg / 31% 3pt / 81% ft

Westbrook career:
19 ppg / 6.8 apg / 4.7 rpg / 1.6 spg / 3.5 topg / 43% fg / 29% 3pt / 82% ft

Rose career:
21 ppg / 6.8 apg / 3.8 rpg / .9 spg / 2.9 topg / 46% fg / 31% 3pt / 82% ft

I personally give slight edge to Rose, but for all intensive purposes they are the same player. Name me 2 closer players in the NBA. The difference is not great enough that Rose should be so highly praised and Westy so highly criticized is the point that you missed. Also worth noting that Westbrook has missed ZERO games in his career and doesnt have a compromised knee. I would be curious if the numbers don't sway in Westy's favor 4 years from now...

Kashmir13579
06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Dude needs to learn to use his peripherals. For all the good he does he's a loose cannon out there. When he puts his head down to make a play i feel like there is a set outcome every-time. He plays hard but not smart.

We talk about this for a lot of players, but imagine if Westbrook lost a step? Do you think his decline would be more steep than say, uh, Rondo? Russ' aint that good of a shooter..

I see him falling in love with that 16ft pull-up. Next year will be a good time to gauge where he's at.

Bruno
06-18-2012, 10:57 PM
he's appropriately rated. all-star, great player.

gets praised when he plays the game the right way, gets bashed when he doesn't (like all players).