PDA

View Full Version : Stern "Maybe Olympics should have age limit"

waveycrockett
06-17-2012, 09:24 PM
In his interview with Wilbon at halftime he says an age limit of 23 would be a good idea and would help relive the "burden" of the international stars. Good idea?

xxplayerxx23
06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
how old is durant then Ill answerlol

Sixerlover
06-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I like it. I mean honestly, how many Olympics have we lost since '92? It's clear we're easily the best basketball country in the world. Giving the vets a break and sending young guys is a good idea. I mean do you guys this this roster wouldn't win it all anyway?

Anthony Davis
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
James Harden
Derrick Rose

topdog
06-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I know a lot of international teams/players would not be happy about this, but I think Stern's best argument is the precedent set by soccer.

waveycrockett
06-17-2012, 09:35 PM
I like it. I mean honestly, how many Olympics have we lost since '92? It's clear we're easily the best basketball country in the world. Giving the vets a break and sending young guys is a good idea. I mean do you guys this this roster wouldn't win it all anyway?

Anthony Davis
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
James Harden
Derrick Rose

Its going to hurt international teams more than us. I like the rivalry we now have with Spain and teams like France and Argentina have come a long way. I dont agree with it.

waveycrockett
06-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I know a lot of international teams/players would not be happy about this, but I think Stern's best argument is the precedent set by soccer.

Yeah but soccer has the world cup tho and the Euro cup where the best players from each country and can play together. We dont have that.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Did he mean players under 23 can't play or players over 23 can't play?

topdog
06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah but soccer has the world cup tho and the Euro cup where the best players from each country and can play together. We dont have that.

Which I thought about mentioning, but perhaps basketball just hasn't evolved to that point yet and there is an obvious country where the title essentially is the world cup - the USA and the NBA.

I get that you don't play as countries in the NBA, but you do represent them and you could argue that by moving players onward after 23 you are giving more players a chance to play Olympic Basketball and that is the next stage of basketball's growth.

waveycrockett
06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Did he mean players under 23 can't play or players over 23 can't play?

Over 23 and you cant play

TheNumber37
06-17-2012, 09:45 PM
not a the best idea because he wouldn't be able to send players who have bloomed after age 23. I also like seeing the vets like Billups and Kidd run the show.

rhino17
06-17-2012, 10:02 PM
not a the best idea because he wouldn't be able to send players who have bloomed after age 23. I also like seeing the vets like Billups and Kidd run the show.

soccer does the age 23 thing but you are allowed 3 older players I think

loublue22
06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I think Stern wants to flip the Olympics and FIBA Championships in terms of importance, like they do in soccer. I mean, basically all the older superstars sat out in 2010 and let Durant and Co. take care of business.

I like it the way it is, the Olympics are special and will always get more attention than FIBA, that's where we should send our best team.

AndyfromNeptune
06-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Shouldnt the best players represent each country in each competition no matter what the age !?

TrueFan420
06-17-2012, 10:22 PM
soccer does the age 23 thing but you are allowed 3 older players I think

Yea you can have 3 players over the age limit

D-Will4Prez
06-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Is the idea so that it will be easier for international teams to win? Is Stern tired of the US winning gold? I am a bit confused about this...

AntiG
06-18-2012, 12:09 AM
If they really want to lower our level of performance so to "give the internationals a chance," instead of talking about an age limit, just make it that each player is limited to one Olympic games. There's more than enough top-flight American talent to completely re-load the roster every 4 years.

TylerSL
06-18-2012, 12:35 AM
not a terrible idea. What if somebody like Kobe, Dirk, or Manu get hurt? People would go ape ****. Not saying it needs to be done, but not a bad idea. Although, you could argue, you shouldnt pick and choose who can and cant represent their country.

LA_Raiders
06-18-2012, 12:40 AM
May be he should retire... Corrupt *******...

b@llhog24
06-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Set a higher age limit. 23 is too young.

Becks2307
06-18-2012, 03:53 AM
23 hurts the other teams MUCH MUCH more than it hurts the US.

RiLoc
06-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I get it, but I'd rather see them all play. A lot of international teams who have decent teams, without a lot of depth, would be hurt badly. Spain would lose Calderon, Navarro, Fernandez and the Gasol brothers. Argentina would lose Scola, Delfino, Nocioni and Ginobli. Personally, I would lose interest.

Is the idea so that it will be easier for international teams to win? Is Stern tired of the US winning gold? I am a bit confused about this...I think he's probably tired of executives and other team officials complaining that their star players are risking injury and fatigue to play in international competition.

Ladies Man
06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Stern is worried that his older players might get injured during the Olympics. He doesn't want players to get injured like his recent lock out season. All to save money. Besides, he doesn't make money from the Olympics so why should he care who goes

sixer04fan
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
One thing is clear from this. DAVID STERN HATES AMERICA!

torocan
06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
23 is a stupid age cutoff, especially since they're not recruiting out of high school anymore. It would mean many players would never get the chance to play in the Olympics once let alone twice or more, especially international players who come from the Euro leagues to the NBA and college players who are late bloomers.

The NBA should NOT be dictating if someone can play for their country or not.

Soccer is actually a bad example as they have their annual league championships, the Fiba internationals, as well as the Euro cup ever 4 years, AND the World cup every 4 years, AND the Olympics.

Olympic participation is NOT mandatory AND they do it during the off season.

Players don't have to participate if they don't want to play.

This is aside from the fact that it would completely gut the rosters of several international teams.

Let the individual players decide.

Netslunatic76
06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Its going to hurt international teams more than us. I like the rivalry we now have with Spain and teams like France and Argentina have come a long way. I dont agree with it.

I agree. Their advantage against the US team is that they have great chemistry because they've been playing with the same players every year minus little changes while the US team overhauls their roster ever two years. Lowering the international age to 23 would mean guys like the Gasols, Tony Parker, Dirk, Manu Ginobili, etc couldn't compete for their country's teams.

FrenchSunsFan
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
It's a very bad idea ,that ll be kill the tournament nobody watch the soccer at the OG for that reason , Stern should must be concerned by teams like Mavs who don't let play Beaubois and Mahinmi for their country ( one more time).