PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe overpaid?

dnewguy
06-17-2012, 04:01 PM
In 2011-12, NBA teams paid $1.9 billion for 990 regular season wins. This means that the cost per win was $1.946 million. Given the cost of each win and knowing both how many victories each player produced and his salary allows us to see which players were overpaid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant--dirk-nowitzki-among-nba-s-most-overpaid-.html

The yahoo article had Kobe at #2 of most overpaid, and Rashaad lewis as #1. Many of us will agree that Joe Johnson and Lewis are overpaid but is Kobe overpaid? The yahoo assessment is skewed because they are judging by wins but in reality, there are only a few players that can put people in the sits everywhere they go and that includes Kobe. Kobe's value goes beyond wins IMO, he is actually underpaid considering he puts people on the sits, he helps sell nba merchandise and also he's the face of NBA in China.

Your thoughts..............

Wade>You
06-17-2012, 04:03 PM
In the free market, no.

In today's NBA, good luck trying to build a team around him that can win a title.

If I were the Lakers, I'd amnesty him and try to re-sign him the next chance they get. (obv have to wait a season before they can do that)

kozelkid
06-17-2012, 04:08 PM
In the free market, no.

In today's NBA, good luck trying to build a team around him that can win a title.

If I were the Lakers, I'd amnesty him and try to re-sign him the next chance they get. (obv have to wait a season before they can do that)

Do you honestly believe Kobe would ever consider coming back if they amnestied him? Get real.

With that said, I agree with your assessment as far as your value of Kobe. I think amnestying him is not a bad idea. Moreover, doing it if they can also get Howard to agree to sign an extension and start building around him. Although, I do think Kobe's worth makes him still possible to be traded. Unfortunately, the backlash that that team would get for amnestying or even dealing Kobe would be way too much to do it.

To answer this thread, I'd say Kobe was underpaid like virtually every other superstar player before the new CBA. Now he's overpaid though with all the new limitations put.

jp611
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah he's overpaid but if I was a lakers fan id gladly endure some non-championship seasons after bringing 5 rings

Rivera
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
No

He still produces, hes box office, he sells a crap load of merch, people still go to LAL games to see kobe play

The lakers make far more revenue off kobe then what they are paying for kobe so just because of that he isnt over paid

netsgiantsyanks
06-17-2012, 04:11 PM
amnestying kobe will result in riots, as will trading him.

Ebbs
06-17-2012, 04:13 PM
In the free market, no.

:laugh:

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Of course he is overpaid, but that happens when you are a superstar in a big market that has helped bring them championships. No player is worth over half a 15 man roster's salary cap. In a business sense, it is easier to make an argument that he is not overpaid since he probably generates more than his salary for his team, and the NBA. But when you look at how it helps the product, ie, the Lakers, Kobe's contract has for sure become an issue.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
No

He still produces, hes box office, he sells a crap load of merch, people still go to LAL games to see kobe play

The lakers make far more revenue off kobe then what they are paying for kobe so just because of that he isnt over paid

There's no question that he is the #1 source of revenue for the Lakers fan base for winning purposes under a salary cap he is definitely overpaid.

For the 2012-13 season his salary will be: $27,489,000
For the 2013-14 season his salary will be: $30,453,000

Kevin Durant in that two year time span? $36.2 million
Lebron James in that two year time span? $36.5 million

Yes, he is overpaid

justinnum1
06-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Of course. Goes right back to the whole loyalty thing. Does he deserve what he is being paid? Depends how you look at it, on the court?, no, but for what he has done for the franchise?, yes.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-17-2012, 04:18 PM
no to Marketing standards.

yes according to NBA salary cap.

Rivera
06-17-2012, 04:25 PM
There's no question that he is the #1 source of revenue for the Lakers fan base but winning purposes as a TEAM he is definitely overpaid.

For the 2012-13 season his salary will be: $27,489,000
For the 2013-14 season his salary will be: $30,453,000

Kevin Durant in that two year time span? $36.2 million
Lebron James in that two year time span? $36.5 million

Yes, he is overpaid

Well those2 is a bad comparison considering kobes on his what? 3? 4? 5? Contract. The longer in the league the more your gonna make its simple. When kd/lbj hit 30+ and get maxes they will recieve the pay kobe recieves. When shaq was on his lst conract with LA/miami that he was making 30 mil plus because of the cba and how many times he re uped his deal is a better comparison considering shaq was leaving his prime

Durants on his 2nd contract and lbj is on his 4th...when lbj finishes his curret contract and IF he decides to re up with miami he will make the figures kobe is making

This is a very simple thread

If your a FAN: of course kobe is overpaid he takes up (i want to say) more than half of he cap all fans want to win so of course FANS wont want to spend half there cap on one player when making a 12 man roster

If your a BUSINESS: kobe isnt overpaid because hes there #1 source of revenue and he makes more for the lakers than what the lakers are currently paying for him. When your revenue exceeds expenses then you doing a great job of running your BUSINESS and kobe isnt overpaid because hes worth more as far as merch/box office goes than his current contracts

Its really that simple

Fan point of view: of course kobe is overpai

Businss point of view: kobe isnt overpaid becase hes the business #1 source of income and he generates more money than his contract. So hes not over paid

Blazers#1Fan
In the free market, no.

if they amnestyed him he'd retire before he could come back to the Lakers its more then 1 year why do you think Brandon Roy cant come back to portland for 3 years it could be more then that though

koreancabbage
all basketball players are overpaid.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-17-2012, 04:26 PM
:dance: Amnesty Kobe! :dance:

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 04:32 PM

You said it way better than I did haha, but this is exactly what I mean.

amos1er
06-17-2012, 04:45 PM
:dance: Amnesty Kobe! :dance:

Is Kobe overpaid? Yes for sure.

Is Kobe the hardest working player in basketball? Yes.

You just don't amnesty a guy who has brought over five championships to your team. Kobe is still one of the biggest, if not the biggest, draws in basketball.

Now, maybe he could restructure his contract and give the Lakers a better chance to win. I'm sure that when Kobe got that deal, he couldn't have imagined that all the other ***** *** owners would target the Lakers as hard as they did in the new CBA negotiations.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Is Kobe overpaid? Yes for sure.

Is Kobe the hardest working player in basketball? Yes.

You just don't amnesty a guy who has brought over five championships to your team. Kobe is still one of the biggest, if not the biggest, draws in basketball.

Now, maybe he could restructure his contract and give the Lakers a better chance to win. I'm sure that when Kobe got that deal, he couldn't have imagined that all the other ***** *** owners would target the Lakers as hard as they did in the new CBA negotiations.

First of all, this is my way to mock those that we should amnesty Kobe.

Second, for the upteenth time, you can't restructure a player's contract under the new CBA. This gets brought up every single day ad nauseum in the Lakers forum, so you should know better to propose that again after this has already been established.

Dade County
06-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I voted YES, because of his physical condition...

He's contract is hurting the Lakers right now, if they could trade him they probably would, but Kobe has a no trade clause.

But some Laker fans just have to face it, their team is going to have to rebuild; no more cheat trades. The Lakers are still going to be respectable in Kobe last years in the league, just no more trips to the finals.

amos1er
06-17-2012, 04:55 PM
First of all, this is my way to mock those that we should amnesty Kobe.

Second, for the upteenth time, you can't restructure a player's contract under the new CBA. This gets brought up every single day ad nauseum in the Lakers forum, so you should know better to propose that again after this has already been established.

A guy can dream. :D

Either way, Jimmy is just going to have to shell out the cash to make some **** happen. Kobe has made the Buss's a lot of money over the years, and Jimbacco should not cheat Kobe for the last two years of his contract. I know that the revenue sharing is complete bull ****, but Jimmy is just going to have to suck it up because the Mamba has done to much to have to waste the last two years of his contact under the incompetent and cheap *** rule of Jimmy "Fredo" Buss.

SteveNash
06-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Underpaid. This guy is saying Kobe deserves MLE money? What a joke, stat dorks lose again.

fishedz
06-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Another PSD lulz thread...

If your a Laker fan...5 rings...hell no he isn't overpaid

Everyone else will hate... It's sports, and the best atheltes in the game get paid the most...especially when your in LA. Any owner in the NBA would pay that...if they knew it would bring championships.

championships
06-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Of course he is. No player should be paid that much.

amos1er
06-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I voted YES, because of his physical condition...

He's contract is hurting the Lakers right now, if they could trade him they probably would, but Kobe has a no trade clause.

But some Laker fans just have to face it, their team is going to have to rebuild; no more cheat trades. The Lakers are still going to be respectable in Kobe last years in the league, just no more trips to the finals.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: This coming from a Miami fan.

Don't understand how the Pau trade was a "cheat trade" anyways. If you really want to call out a bs trade look more into the KG trade or the Perkins trade.

Boston got KG for basically nothing. Jefferson was decent, but I would take Marc Gasol over him for sure and Minny was worse off after, they just got lucky to get Kevin Love. Still not a playoff team though. Boston handing Perkins to OKC was always a bit fishy to me too. Gave up the big 3's last two year run for nothing. But hey, Durant sure benefited from it and so did the NBA.

Memphis is now a playoff team and Marc Gasol an All-Star. Seemed like the Lakers were the only ones to actually give a fair trade out of the deal.

Funny how no one ever calls out those trades, only the Lakers. Mainly because people are just jealous that the Lakers got 2 more championships out of it and have won more in the last 20 years than anyone has. So you can only call out the people who capitalize and are able to win?

Chronz
06-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Well those2 is a bad comparison considering kobes on his what? 3? 4? 5? Contract. The longer in the league the more your gonna make its simple. When kd/lbj hit 30+ and get maxes they will recieve the pay kobe recieves. When shaq was on his lst conract with LA/miami that he was making 30 mil plus because of the cba and how many times he re uped his deal is a better comparison considering shaq was leaving his prime
Yea but Shaq also took a paycut (annually) to get Miami more help when his Laker contract was over.

Durants on his 2nd contract and lbj is on his 4th...when lbj finishes his curret contract and IF he decides to re up with miami he will make the figures kobe is making

How do you know? Bron could have taken more money but he still took a paycut. Just like Duncan did with SAS. Also CBA is different now and he may need to take a paycut like he did the first time.

ThunderousDemon
06-17-2012, 05:32 PM
In the free market, no.

Is that you Crooner?

Bruno
06-17-2012, 05:32 PM
he's not over paid. but he takes up too much of the cap.

kobebabe
06-17-2012, 05:48 PM
In the free market, no.

:badidea:

JerseyPalahniuk
06-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Actually, no. If lebron chooses to take the player option of the last year of his contract (2015/16) will have a salary of $22.1. Still far less than the $30 mil of kobe. I agree from a business standpoint the salary is nothing but if they are trying to build a contender than he will be eating up over half the salary. That $8 million dollar difference can get you a very good starting caliber player (or added to another star FA's contract)

lakersiznumber1
06-17-2012, 05:58 PM
how is kobe overpaid? first off he signed his contract before the new cba so u cant look at his pay roll as over paid. He brought 5 championships 2 la and still counting. Half lakers fans are only fans because of kobe he brings in millions of dollars to the organizations so hows he overpaid? If kobe was 25 and in his prime he would not make the money hes making now u cant judge guys who sign b4 the cba and stop posting random **** its a dumb convo 2 bring up

1. Kobe Bryant LA Lakers
$25,244,000
2. Rashard Lewis Washington
$22,152,000
3. Tim Duncan San Antonio
$21,300,000
4. Kevin Garnett Boston
$21,200,000
5. Gilbert Arenas Orlando / Memphis
$19,569,308
6. Dirk Nowitzki Dallas
$19,092,873
7. Pau Gasol LA Lakers
$18,714,150
8. Carmelo Anthony New York

$18,520,000
9. Amare Stoudemire New York

$18,217,705
10. Joe Johnson Atlanta
$18,038,573

you can argue that for any of these players but they all sign b4 the cba.which 1 of these players deserve to make more money than kobe none of them

NetsPaint
06-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Of course he is overpaid, but that happens when you are a superstar in a big market that has helped bring them championships. No player is worth over half a 15 man roster's salary cap. In a business sense, it is easier to make an argument that he is not overpaid since he probably generates more than his salary for his team, and the NBA. But when you look at how it helps the product, ie, the Lakers, Kobe's contract has for sure become an issue.
Agreed.

tredigs
06-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Kobe is massively UNDER-paid due to the fact that there's no free market. His revenue draw for the team from a marketing standpoint is monstrous. Think he's big here? Good luck finding a kid in China who doesn't know Kobe, and every fan who can is buying his gear.

The author of this article is using a stats based "win" system to try to compute his worth to the team? It's stupid and amateur. I see what he's going for with the article, and statistically he's probably close to correct, but there's a lot more dynamics to a player like Kobe's value then just wins produced.

Open market at the time of his last contract? Bidding on Kobe would START at 50 million per year.

Bruno
06-17-2012, 06:11 PM
and- kobe isn't more overpaid than J. Johnson, anyway you look at it.

xxplayerxx23
06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Most basketball players are overpaied, Kobe with the cap is very overpaied,

LA_Raiders
06-17-2012, 06:21 PM
lol, he is a money making machine for LA...

NetsPaint
06-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Kobe is massively UNDER-paid due to the fact that there's no free market. His revenue draw for the team from a marketing standpoint is monstrous. Think he's big here? Good luck finding a kid in China who doesn't know Kobe, and every fan who can is buying his gear.

The author of this article is using a stats based "win" system to try to compute his worth to the team? It's stupid and amateur. I see what he's going for with the article, and statistically he's probably close to correct, but there's a lot more dynamics to a player like Kobe's value then just wins produced.

Open market at the time of his last contract? Bidding on Kobe would START at 50 million per year.
It's not stupid and amatuer. It obviously would be if a GM amnestied or traded him because of the revenue and championships factor. We SHOULD discuss the basketball aspect as a different topic.

I think he's maybe underrated as a player, but as Hawkeye said, no player is worth that much as a player because of injuries, cap, etc.

tredigs
06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Most basketball players are overpaied, Kobe with the cap is very overpaied,

You realize that by definition of what a "salary CAP" is, what you said is the exact opposite of the truth, right?

Lil Rhody
06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Is there any athlete that's not over paid?

heyman321
06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Is there any athlete that's not over paid?

Yeah Lebron and Kobe.

Driven
06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Great post. Dead on.

tredigs
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
It's not stupid and amatuer. It obviously would be if a GM amnestied or traded him because of the revenue and championships factor. We SHOULD discuss the basketball aspect as a different topic.

I think he's maybe underrated as a player, but as Hawkeye said, no player is worth that much as a player because of injuries, cap, etc.

Of course it is. Injuries are another issue altogether, but assuming standard health (which he's had), KOBE is a transcendent star who has a pull that's strong enough to determine whether or not you go to a game (home and away), buy season tickets or purchase an NBA package. If Kobe, Lebron, KD, Wade, Rose and Howard were not playing next season, all of these sales would drop HUGELY. It's a star driven league more than any other, and he's the #1 star in the entire world. There is literally no other player that has his pull or the propensity to actually create new NBA fans who otherwise wouldn't care about the sport (tough to put a value on how much that is worth).

When it comes to building the best team possible to compete for a title is Kobe overpaid? Yeah, probably a bit. But that has nothing to do with the fact that he is massively, massively underpaid as far as his actual $ value to the team is concerned.

You're picking the wrong player. Stick with Rashard Lewis.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM

We can only make our opinions based on the market in which he is employed however. As put before, he isn't overpaid at all in the sense of what he brings his organization and business frame monetarily, he is simply overpaid inside it's own design structure.

tredigs
06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
We can only make our opinions based on the market in which he is employed however. As put before, he isn't overpaid at all in the sense of what he brings his organization and business frame monetarily, he is simply overpaid inside it's own design structure.

If the goal is to simply win basketball games, yes - slightly - agreed. But there's no way to get Kobe for less than the max, so by that standard he's still not. And if it's to have one of the ultra elite ~25 most marketable athletes in the world and make exorbitant amounts of money from him, then anything less than 50 million is probably underpaid.

But yeah, being that the NBA has a socialist system rather than capitalist the lucky owners that score a guy like Kobe (well, he's still THE most marketable worldwide, so he's in his own boat) are doing backflips. Jerry Buss himself said Kobe's worth 70 million a year, and I'd say that's probably a conservative estimate. That's not accounting for all the extra ticket sales he drives in away cities for their teams either (does not help the owner, but it goes to show his value).

THE MTL
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Kobe brings so much value to that franchise that he is actually underpaid. Most NBA superstars are underpaid.

For example, when Lebron James signed with the Heat the value of that franchise nearly doubled and ticket prices doubled as well, therefore James is worth somewhere in the 50 million dollar range considering all the value he brought that franchise.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
If the goal is to simply win basketball games, yes - slightly - agreed. But there's no way to get Kobe for less than the max, so by that standard he's still not. And if it's to have one of the ultra elite ~25 most marketable athletes in the world and make exorbitant amounts of money from him, then anything less than 50 million is probably underpaid.

But yeah, being that the NBA has a socialist system rather than capitalist the lucky owners that score a guy like Kobe (well, he's still THE most marketable worldwide, so he's in his own boat) are doing backflips. Jerry Buss himself said Kobe's worth 70 million a year, and I'd say that's probably a conservative estimate. That's not accounting for all the extra ticket sales he drives in away cities for their teams either (does not help the owner, but it goes to show his value).

Funny enough, I think capitalism is the best way to go in a global/country/state market. But in such a small model (32 teams), you simply can't have the 3-4 teams that are capable of spending endless amounts of money do so, and freeze out all other markets. It wouldn't make for a good product, and I think people would get really sick of seeing the same teams dominate forever. It would turn away drones of fans in middle America.

But again, we can only judge on the system in place. Therefore, he is both underpaid and overpaid.

SteveNash
06-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Say the lockout voided all contracts and under the new CBA, players would be paid based on wins produced. These guys would have the biggest contracts right now:

1 Chris Paul
2 Dwight Howard
3 Kevin Love
4 LeBron James
5 Dwyane Wade
6 Pau Gasol
7 Steve Nash
8 Landry Fields
9 Rajon Rondo
10 Ray Allen

:rolleyes:

seikou8
06-17-2012, 07:22 PM
evryone get overpaid in all sports its what happens teams get scared and overpay like kobe, lewis stat,melo,joe johson ,boozer david lee, kevin garnett ,turkgolo offthe top of my head

momoneyyyy
06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
why is dirk on that list of over paid?

seikou8
06-17-2012, 07:30 PM

thats just stupid:facepalm:

tredigs
06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Funny enough, I think capitalism is the best way to go in a global/country/state market. But in such a small model (32 teams), you simply can't have the 3-4 teams that are capable of spending endless amounts of money do so, and freeze out all other markets. It wouldn't make for a good product, and I think people would get really sick of seeing the same teams dominate forever. It would turn away drones of fans in middle America.

But again, we can only judge on the system in place. Therefore, he is both underpaid and overpaid.

Completely agree with the first paragraph. I think the model's fine, although I'd like it better if a player could be amnestied at any point and receive a percentage rather than the entirety of the contract. It would keep them all sharp and offer more flexibility. It's too bad something like that wasn't agreed to by the players union.

But still, even at this point you CAN NOT get Kobe for less than a max deal, so I don't understand how he's overpaid. We can't just pretend like the NBA is JUST a game and not a business. And within the confines of the NBA labor agreement, he is paid exactly what he would be if he was a free agent (minus the bonus LA was able to secure obviously). Now, if Rashard Lewis was a free agent he would die for a MLE - HE is overpaid.

tredigs
06-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Basically all I'm saying is that you literally could not have come up with a worse name to drop than Kobe Bryant if we're talking 'NBA athletes being overpaid'.

Deeper bench options, especially those without upside? Yes, massively overpaid. Nobody pays to see them and they have virtually no impact on the game. But they're all millionaires. 200-250k would probably be a more appropriate salary (it's still almost impossibly hard to reach their level and if paid less they'd likely leave to play oversees).

SteveNash
06-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Because Shawn Marion, Jason Kidd, Brandan Wright, Jason Terry, Brendan Haywood, Vince Carter, and Delonte West are all better than him.*

*According to WP

tredigs
06-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Because Shawn Marion, Jason Kidd, Brandan Wright, Jason Terry, Brendan Haywood, Vince Carter, and Delonte West are all better than him.*

*According to WP

Another good point. Does not help that wins produced is a horribly flawed stat (based on possessions and awarding way too much weight on rebounding as a result) who the creator touts as a "95% indicator of winning".

felixng2012
06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes.

LAKERMANIA
06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes he is.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Basically all I'm saying is that you literally could not have come up with a worse name to drop than Kobe Bryant if we're talking 'NBA athletes being overpaid'.

LeBron James.

:)

Eg714
06-17-2012, 08:30 PM
He's overpaid but he's earned it. So I guess I would say he's not overpaid cuz he's paid on his past achievements that he earned.

OaklandsFinest
06-17-2012, 09:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant--dirk-nowitzki-among-nba-s-most-overpaid-.html

The yahoo article had Kobe at #2 of most overpaid, and Rashaad lewis as #1. Many of us will agree that Joe Johnson and Lewis are overpaid but is Kobe overpaid? The yahoo assessment is skewed because they are judging by wins but in reality, there are only a few players that can put people in the sits everywhere they go and that includes Kobe. Kobe's value goes beyond wins IMO, he is actually underpaid considering he puts people on the sits, he helps sell nba merchandise and also he's the face of NBA in China.

Your thoughts..............

Duh...... Kobe's contract is going to prevent this team from staying relevant seamlessly. I actually think either moving Kobe for Deron Williams, or moving Bynum for Okafor and the number one pick, is LA's best options financially. Kobe does bring more money to the franchise such as merchandising and **** but he ties up more than half of LA's salary cap space. For the price of Kobe you could have Lebron, and Bosh. Not to say Kobe isn't a great player, he's just not worth half a team's salary cap...

rickshaw
06-17-2012, 09:17 PM

Basically all that needs to be said.

eibbor
06-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Nope

CaliDevil71
06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
They are all overpaid!

MintBerryCrunch
06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
He makes hundreds of millions of dollars for LA, Staples Center, and the Lakers.

No. I wish he was paid less for salary cap purposes, but no .

MintBerryCrunch
06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
They are all overpaid!

Lolwut

PrettyBoyJ
06-17-2012, 09:52 PM
if anything he is under paid what kobe brings to the laker as far as revenue exceeds what the lakers pay him