PDA

View Full Version : What do people think Derrick Williams' trade value is?

RandyRandy
06-17-2012, 02:42 PM
He had a very inconsistant rookie year in a Timberwolves uniform but showed flashes of brilliance in certain games. The wolves were in a tough stop when they drafted him, almost being forced to take him at two because he was by far the best player available, MN would have been better off if there was a shooting guard or center worth taking at that spot. They are also in a tough spot now because he is more of a power forward rather than small forward at this point, while playing behind one of the best power forwards in the league in Kevin Love.

What do people think his trade value would be? The Wolves will at least entertain the idea and see what's out there.

Would a Derrick Williams + 18th pick to Philly for Iggy + filler work?
Sixers are looking to trade Iggy and would receive a forward with tons of potential while the Wolves get a proven perimeter player who is a good defender. Thoughts?

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Derrick Williams, Wes Johnson, Pekovic, Minnesota 1st rder, Lakers 1st rder to Brooklyn

Pau Gasol + Jordan Hill to Minnesota

Deron Williams + Michael Beasley to LA

That's his trade value. Nets lose 2010 #2 pick Derrick Favors to get Deron Williams, and then trade back Deron Williams for 2011 #2 pick Derrick Williams.

Nets redeem themselves plus get a few 1st rounders

Wolves get Gasol to go with Rubio and Love

Lakers get the players they've been wanting for a long time.

SugeKnight
06-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I think the op had a good trade. I didn't watch that many wolves games this year though, so Im just basing it off him being the #2 pick last year.

greg_ory_2005
06-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I didn't see much of him, but I like his game. Versatile offensive player, don't know much about his defense though.

allvalleychamp
06-17-2012, 03:00 PM
id send GS 7, 53 and D. Wright for him

koetravis
06-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Derrick Williams, Wes Johnson, Pekovic, Minnesota 1st rder, Lakers 1st rder to Brooklyn

That's his trade value. Nets lose 2010 #2 pick Derrick Favors to get Deron Williams, and then trade back Deron Williams for 2011 #2 pick Derrick Williams.

This is one of the stupidest trades I have ever seen.

Yunqn
06-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Ill do a Loul deng & 29th for derrick williams & 18th..

I think derrick has crazy potiential and luol has a crazy contract.. I love luol but not at that price and the bulls need to gve derrick rose a young growing partner..

Idnt seethe bulls paying over tax dollarthis season for a washed up season wihtout d rose..

2-ONE-5
06-17-2012, 03:08 PM
He had a very inconsistant rookie year in a Timberwolves uniform but showed flashes of brilliance in certain games. The wolves were in a tough stop when they drafted him, almost being forced to take him at two because he was by far the best player available, MN would have been better off if there was a shooting guard or center worth taking at that spot. They are also in a tough spot now because he is more of a power forward rather than small forward at this point, while playing behind one of the best power forwards in the league in Kevin Love.

What do people think his trade value would be? The Wolves will at least entertain the idea and see what's out there.

Sixers are looking to trade Iggy and would receive a forward with tons of potential while the Wolves get a proven perimeter player who is a good defender. Thoughts?

no thanks

joeyc77
06-17-2012, 03:08 PM

It's close...I would say #18, D Williams, plus a future lottery protected 1st for Iggy...plus whatever contracts Minny has to throw in to make it work.

justinnum1
06-17-2012, 03:11 PM

I dont know if williams if enough of a low post presence for philly to want him.

how about lou williams and iggy to lakers for pau and artest.

Chucky Woods
06-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Luol is overpaid and overrated.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I think the OP is my dupe.

Seriously though, I think Willams/#18 for Iggy is a good deal in principal, for both teams. Williams was very inconsistent, but when he was shooting the ball with confidence, he showed that he could be a serious scorer at some point. He rebounds fairly well, its always tough to evaluate a rebounder when they are next to an all time great one, but Williams long term is much more suited for PF.

He is supposedly trying to cut 10-15 lbs this summer, and work exclusively on his perimeter game to slide to SF, something I think is not great for his development, but he is trying none the less. He is the Wolves best asset outside their untouchables in Love/Rubio, and I think the Wolves will indeed explore moving him. If I were Kahn, I wouldn't trade him for anything outside getting a top 5 pick in this draft, or a proven wing starter still on the right side of 30.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I think either Ridnour or Barea would need to be added to the Williams/#18 to get Iggy.

TheIlladelph16
06-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Iggy's trade value has never been higher so I don't think the Sixers would do that. I don't really know what his trade value is after one season. It's very tough to tell with only one season under his belt.

Give him another year with Rubio before discussing trading him.

TheIlladelph16
06-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I dont know if williams if enough of a low post presence for philly to want him.

how about lou williams and iggy to lakers for pau and artest.

Lou Will is a free agent so unless its a sign and trade that wouldn't work. Although I really don't know what the new rules are for sign and trades regarding the new CBA. I really don't want Artest for a million reasons, and Pau is on the wrong side of 30 for acquiring two players 27 and under.

netsgiantsyanks
06-17-2012, 03:20 PM

this'll never happen, never.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Iggy's trade value has never been higher so I don't think the Sixers would do that. I don't really know what his trade value is after one season. It's very tough to tell with only one season under his belt.

Give him another year with Rubio before discussing trading him.

Is Iggy's trade value as high as his level of play suggests it should be? I don't think so. Not with Philly making it obvious they are shopping him.

John Walls Era
06-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Athletic Tweener with upside.

Chronz
06-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Is he any better than Beasley? Didnt Miami have to beg people to take him off their hands. I dont think now is the time to shop him, most teams will try to buy low. Rookie year and a lockout cant help his situation. Y2 can only help his value, no way he struggles as much this time.

MrfadeawayJB
06-17-2012, 05:04 PM
I think its still relatively high but it has dropped since he was drafted. It could climb right back up there though if he proves he can play on a consistent basis. Dont know if he will get the opportunity though with K-Love there

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Is he any better than Beasley? Didnt Miami have to beg people to take him off their hands. I dont think now is the time to shop him, most teams will try to buy low. Rookie year and a lockout cant help his situation. Y2 can only help his value, no way he struggles as much this time.

He will be better than Beasley, yes. He works a lot harder off the ball, is much more physical, and isn't the complete ball stopper Beasley is.

That is my issue with trading him now dude. I think he will be much improved year 2. He is the anti-Beasley from the perspective that he wasn't highly recruited, wasn't a big name, and didn't have people kissing his butt from age 15, so he developed a work ethic, unlike Beasley.

SeoulBeatz
06-17-2012, 05:06 PM

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat and I think it would work out beautifully for both teams.

Ty Fast
06-17-2012, 05:10 PM

This is one of the stupidest trades I have ever seen.

great trade for la

Ty Fast
06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
he is a good player. he only played 20 mins a game. i dont know why they didnt play him more.

John Walls Era
06-17-2012, 05:16 PM

No not now, but he will be.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
he is a good player. he only played 20 mins a game. i dont know why they didnt play him more.

Because he shot inconsistently, had problems guarding opposing SF's, and the Wolves have a decent PF ahead of him.

John Walls Era
06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Why did the Wolves draft him again? Wouldn't Kanter have been a better pick if they're just going to develop the 2nd pick. Hindsight is a *****, but trade down for Kawhi Leonard or Iman Shumpert.

Silent
06-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Luol is overpaid and overrated.

Yep a guy that play Elite D and gives u 17 a nite is overrated:facepalm:

iamsteel
06-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Of course he was inconsistent. He was a rookie. Tell me one rookie that's ever been consistent. With him trimming some weight, he will be more able to keep up with guarding the SF position. I expect a breakout year for him next year, and I think he will be better than Iggy eventually. I really hope the wolves hold on to him or it will come back to bite them.

SeoulBeatz
06-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Why did the Wolves draft him again? Wouldn't Kanter have been a better pick if they're just going to develop the 2nd pick. Hindsight is a *****, but trade down for Kawhi Leonard or Iman Shumpert.

Shump and Kawhi had excellent rookie campaigns, but I still think D Will has a significantly higher ceiling than those two.

topdog
06-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Shump and Kawhi had excellent rookie campaigns, but I still think D Will has a significantly higher ceiling than those two.

People have to factor in roles as well. It's easier for a role player to adjust to the NBA than to go from being a college star to a bench player. The Wolves were kind of a unique situation in that they were the worst team in the NBA, but had 1 star and another that arrived this year so it's not the usual "here you go #2 pick, this is your team now."

It wasn't a great draft overall though (Kemba? Jimmer? Biyombo?), but Williams would probably still be somewhere in the 2-7 range in this draft.

PurpleJesus
06-17-2012, 06:03 PM
outside of Love and Rubio, who Kahn said will not be traded, Derrick Williams along with Pekovic probably hold the most trade value on the Wolves roster, and it is rumored that Kahn is looking to make some moves to have a more complete roster, so I think there is a good chance that Williams does get moved.

SeoulBeatz
06-17-2012, 06:04 PM
People have to factor in roles as well. It's easier for a role player to adjust to the NBA than to go from being a college star to a bench player. The Wolves were kind of a unique situation in that they were the worst team in the NBA, but had 1 star and another that arrived this year so it's not the usual "here you go #2 pick, this is your team now."

It wasn't a great draft overall though (Kemba? Jimmer? Biyombo?), but Williams would probably still be somewhere in the 2-7 range in this draft.

agreed.

i know all too well that you can't judge a player after ONE season.

Wolfman01
06-17-2012, 09:40 PM

Typical Lakers' fan always make trade that are not fair for other teams and always make their own team look like team USA. By the way Deron Williams has option out of his contract which means he'll become a unrestricted free agent. The Nets will no longer has Deron Williams rights. Deron Williams can choose which ever team he wants to go to. After all the Nets gave up a lot just to get Deron Williams. What makes you think they will like the idea of trading him? Oh yeah Jordan Hill is a unrestricted free agent which the Lakers no longer has his right to trade him.

Greet
06-17-2012, 10:27 PM

I think it's a bit early to call Rubio a star.

iamsteel
06-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I think a trade of Beasley (sign n trade) + Williams for Iggy would be fair

Hawkeye15
06-17-2012, 11:13 PM
I think it's a bit early to call Rubio a star.

yes it is.

yaswaggin
06-18-2012, 09:37 PM
I think a trade of Beasley (sign n trade) + Williams for Iggy would be fair

Nah t wolves would give up too much

popo85
06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Reminds me a bit of Evan Turner but Turner the better overall offensive game and Williams a better rebounder.

AP=MVP
06-19-2012, 04:23 PM

This then sign Courtney Lee. Rubio, Lee, and Iggy would provide some amazing perimeter D, and Love is getting better defensively and Pekovic is solid.

Rubio / Ridnour
C. Lee / Webster
Iggy / Wes Johnson
Love
Pekovic