PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a chance on Manny Ramirez

Shark
06-16-2012, 12:25 PM
"The A's treated me amazingly during all this time, but sadly didn't have space for me and this is something I can't control," Ramirez told ESPNDeportes.com's Enrique Rojas by phone. "I'm going home to continue my training hoping to get the chance to play again. I'll be waiting for that call and if God believes (playing) is the best for me, then it'll happen. If not, I'll understand.

"It was an amazing experience. I was given tremendous treatment by Oakland's major league and Triple-A staff. I'll always have them in my heart. I was ready to play, but Oakland didn't have a space in its roster. I understand."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8058865/oakland-athletics-give-release-slugger-manny-ramirez

Manny was released by the A's. Should the Jays take a chance with him as our DH? Edwin obviously occupies that position but he has shown he can play 1b for us. Thoughts?

Jamiecballer
06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
i don't think so. vlad made way more sense so i don't see them pursuing this.

Sanyo
06-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I think the Jays have a bigger need than at DH at this point...

2009mvp
06-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Whoa, classy exit interview. Kind of the polar opposite of Vlad's. Signing him closes a lot of doors for the Jays which probably makes it a bad idea though.

statquo
06-16-2012, 12:55 PM
**** no.

damadmonk
06-16-2012, 01:17 PM
The thing with Manny compared to Vlad (at least to me) and anybody other internal option (Gomes, Cooper, Lind etc) is that I feel that during the stretch drive, he could carry our team. At worse, he's never had a season with an OBP at .377. Nobody on our team is above .354.

For the minimum do you risk it? He's got ties with Farrell. So he would be the good Manny.

I'm in. As long as EE back is good to play 1st base. For a .500 team not looking at paying top dollar for a star (FA or trade), he's our best option available for a minimum gamble.

2009mvp
06-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Carry them to what though? I would think the flexibility to get JPA/TDA/Lind/Snider/Thames/Cooper/Gomes extra ABs is more valuable to this particular team than whatever Manny's upside is at this point. I'd love to see him to be honest, but with the pitching staff looking the way it is logically it just doesn't make much sense.

GNick
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I would say by his numbers in Sacramento Manny is done. Time to get the at bats to more intriging prospect

damadmonk
06-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Carry them to what though? I would think the flexibility to get JPA/TDA/Lind/Snider/Thames/Cooper/Gomes extra ABs is more valuable to this particular team than whatever Manny's upside is at this point. I'd love to see him to be honest, but with the pitching staff looking the way it is logically it just doesn't make much sense.

I would say by his numbers in Sacramento Manny is done. Time to get the at bats to more intriging prospect

I understand what both are you are saying. But what are we trying to do? Are we still trying to win or are we in development?

I agree that our pitching staff is injuried. We have arms to pitch. I don't think AA is gonna over pay for starting pitching anytime soon.

If we are in win mode, what is the cost to have him for a month or so before the trading deadline? I believe Manny could carry us to a "if we can't out pitch them, we out hit them mode" down the stretch.

What do we have to lose? Who is more of an intriging prospect? A sample size of <70 AB's in AAA is a little small for me to say Manny is done. BA of .302 and a OBP .349 isn't that bad at AAA is it?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ramire002man

For the risk/reward and our situation, if I had to bet on somebody that is available to us at minimum cost that would give us the best chance to make the playoffs immediately; it is Manny.

Sanyo
06-16-2012, 02:13 PM
^ Jays are definitely in development now -- Yanks are starting to take off and Rays are very unlikely to fall -- with 3 of your starters out, its tough to compete. I will say give it two or three weeks and see the severity of Hutch and Morrow's injuries but if they are out more than the 15 days required on the dl, this season is a write off and its time to sell off assets like Edwin and KJ (if they can't re-sign him for 3 or 4 more years).

mtf
06-16-2012, 03:03 PM
I didn't see the reason for signing Guerrero and I think the same non-reasons apply to Ramirez. I'd much rather see someone like Travis Snider get a shot to play everyday.

idrinkpepsi
06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Jays aren't going anywhere this year, we need to give Snider at bats instead of sticking someone like Manny out there.

1hardcore
06-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Nope!

Sanyo
06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
What's the point? Let's see if Cooper or Gomes break out -- a lot more value doing that then giving Manny a chance.

Krylian
06-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Go away, Manny.

Toxeryll
06-17-2012, 02:33 AM
I understand what both are you are saying. But what are we trying to do? Are we still trying to win or are we in development?

I agree that our pitching staff is injuried. We have arms to pitch. I don't think AA is gonna over pay for starting pitching anytime soon.

If we are in win mode, what is the cost to have him for a month or so before the trading deadline? I believe Manny could carry us to a "if we can't out pitch them, we out hit them mode" down the stretch.

What do we have to lose? Who is more of an intriging prospect? A sample size of <70 AB's in AAA is a little small for me to say Manny is done. BA of .302 and a OBP .349 isn't that bad at AAA is it?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ramire002man

For the risk/reward and our situation, if I had to bet on somebody that is available to us at minimum cost that would give us the best chance to make the playoffs immediately; it is Manny.

a .349 SLG is awful especially in a league like PCL. hes done, he wont help us get to the playoffs

damadmonk
06-17-2012, 05:03 AM
a .349 SLG is awful especially in a league like PCL. hes done, he wont help us get to the playoffs

63 AB sample size doesn't mean jack.

A OBP of no season less than .377 isn't gonna help this team?

mtf
06-17-2012, 05:21 AM
63 AB sample size doesn't mean jack.

The same sample size was being used to show his OBP this season in the PCL was good, and evidence to support the argument that he should be picked up. That's who he was responding to.

A OBP of no season less than .377 isn't gonna help this team?

By that logic, why not just go sign a 47 year old Barry Bonds. His past numbers are exceptional, but there's nothing to support that he can still do it in his old age.

Manny Ramirez is 40 years old and even if he was still league average, or slightly above it, this isn't a playoff team with or without him. Why is everyone clamoring for big names and former glory? Wouldn't those plate appearances be better served getting a younger player some experience?

The playoffs just aren't in the cards for the Jays this year. Now is the time to start seeing what they have with some of their prospects, and seeing what other assets for the future they can bring in by becoming sellers at the deadline.

damadmonk
06-17-2012, 06:30 AM
The same sample size was being used to show his OBP this season in the PCL was good, and evidence to support the argument that he should be picked up. That's who he was responding to.

By that logic, why not just go sign a 47 year old Barry Bonds. His past numbers are exceptional, but there's nothing to support that he can still do it in his old age.

Manny Ramirez is 40 years old and even if he was still league average, or slightly above it, this isn't a playoff team with or without him. Why is everyone clamoring for big names and former glory? Wouldn't those plate appearances be better served getting a younger player some experience?

The playoffs just aren't in the cards for the Jays this year. Now is the time to start seeing what they have with some of their prospects, and seeing what other assets for the future they can bring in by becoming sellers at the deadline.

I just don't want to throw it in. I really do hope somebody steps up sooner or later. Three games back in the wild card is too close for me to say that we don't have the cards to make the playoffs. I would like to have Manny as my wild card in my hand.

wamco
06-17-2012, 07:35 AM
let someone else sign him

Valleyfella
06-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Definitely not. They were .500 before Morrow, Drabek and Hutch got injured. Manny isn't going to save the season. Let the young guys play for now, trade a few veterans in July, call up the prospects and let them play, too. They need to get a sense of what all this youth can do.

mtf
06-17-2012, 08:38 AM
I just don't want to throw it in. I really do hope somebody steps up sooner or later. Three games back in the wild card is too close for me to say that we don't have the cards to make the playoffs. I would like to have Manny as my wild card in my hand.

While realistically, you're right that the standings are seemingly close if you just look at the Jays relative to those who currently hold those wild cards. That's ignoring the fact that they have to contend with the Angels, the Tigers, the Rays, and likely the Red Sox and possibly even the Indians, White Sox and Orioles. Most of those teams are far more equipped than the Blue Jays to maintain a pace for a 90 win season.

Aside from that, as I stated previously, there's no real evidence to support that Manny Ramirez can still be a strong contributor. You quoted stats from earlier in his life & career (while he was juicing by the way). Why not just bring back Barry Bonds and sign him at age 47 if all you're looking for is a big name with a nice career chart of numbers on baseball-reference.

H-MYK
06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
I can't stand Ramirez, so no

StayOnBoard
06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Definitely not.... if we sign him and he's cut, we'll have to read through 10 pages of "omg the Jays mgmt ****s up everything - why not give him a shot" posts which I really have no interest in.

wagnall
06-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Never, No, Not, I want to see Snider get here and play LF for the rest of the year so either he makes it or we look elsewhere. But signing Ram. does nothing for us but take away bats from guys who actually have a chance of making this club better.

AA09-?
06-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Manny must need the $$$.