PDA

View Full Version : Beltran joins 300/300 club

sacgiants1213
06-16-2012, 02:55 AM
With his stolen base in the second inning, Carlos Beltran became just the eighth player in major league history (and first switch hitter) to record both 300 home runs and 300 stolen bases in his career.
Beltran joins Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonds, Andre Dawson, Steve Finley, Willie Mays, Alex Rodriguez and Reggie Sanders as the only players to join the 300/300 club. It's a heck of an accomplishment for Beltran and highlights what an incredibly dynamic player he's been over the course of his career. He finished the night 2-for-4 and is having another tremendous season, hitting .301 with 19 homers, 47 RBI and 7 steals.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/365836/beltran-becomes-1st-switch-hitter-to-300300

Great career so far, and congrats to him for joining this club.

metswon69
06-16-2012, 02:59 AM
http://rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/365836/beltran-becomes-1st-switch-hitter-to-300300

Great career so far, and congrats to him for joining this club.

Great player, the injuries might have stopped him from being close to having HOF numbers by now.

One of the best defensive CF's i ever got to witness as a fan.

Jeffy25
06-16-2012, 03:00 AM
And then he got picked off lol.

And against his old team.

First switch hitter to do so

LASportsFan1996
06-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Great Player & A Great Accomplishment

STL Don
06-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Very grateful the Cardinals signed him after seeing Pujols' go...
He's been great for us and doesn't cost us half as much as it would to have kept Albert.
It was hard at first but honestly, I couldn't be happier with how it has all turned out so far. He's a big part of the reason the Cards have had one of the best offenses this year.

koldjerky
06-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Great player, the injuries might have stopped him from being close to having HOF numbers by now.

Injuries not only stopped him from having close to HOF numbers but also stopped him from going down as arguably the best CFer of all time. Obviously the same (injuries) could be said about Jr as well.

metswon69
06-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Injuries not only stopped him from having close to HOF numbers but also stopped him from going down as arguably the best CFer of all time. Obviously the same (injuries) could be said about Jr as well.

Sadly i think with a lot of Met fans, he'll be remembered for one signature moment.

Him looking at Wainwright's curveball for strike 3 in game 7 of the 2006 NLCS..

The X
06-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Next up on the list for 300/300: Derek Jeter

ManningToTyree
06-16-2012, 10:51 AM
He has had a sensational career. Good for you Carlos!

goldenstater
06-16-2012, 11:07 AM
is anyone you think gonna get to 500/500 like Bonds did? the more i look at that stat the harder i think its gonna be for someone to do. who has a chance to do it? trout? he reminds me of bonds coming up.

Dr Cyanide 28
06-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Sadly i think with a lot of Met fans, he'll be remembered for one signature moment.

Him looking at Wainwright's curveball for strike 3 in game 7 of the 2006 NLCS..

that is one of my favorite moments in baseball history. lol will never forget that. that was an intense game. nothing will top game 6 of the world series this past year for me (I WAS THERE I WAS THERE I WAS THERE) but game 7 of the 2006 nlcs is one i will never forget

06-16-2012, 11:44 AM

Even if healthy I doubt Beltran would have been the best CF of all time.

metswon69
06-16-2012, 11:53 AM
that is one of my favorite moments in baseball history. lol will never forget that. that was an intense game. nothing will top game 6 of the world series this past year for me (I WAS THERE I WAS THERE I WAS THERE) but game 7 of the 2006 nlcs is one i will never forget

Rub salt in the open wound, why don't ya? ;)

Jeffy25
06-16-2012, 01:51 PM
is anyone you think gonna get to 500/500 like Bonds did? the more i look at that stat the harder i think its gonna be for someone to do. who has a chance to do it? trout? he reminds me of bonds coming up.

It's gonna be damn hard, only Bobby of the 300/300 guys stole 400 bases.

Gonna take a very healthy, very great ball player. Like Bonds was.

If he had never done it, I would probably say it would be one of the most difficult accomplishments to reach

Jeffy25
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Next up on the list for 300/300: Derek Jeter

54 homers won't be easy.

I do think Hanley is gonna reach 300/300 though

Ellsbury and Kemp could also do it, maybe even Braun

Sick Of It All
06-16-2012, 01:57 PM
My favorite player in the majors, awesome player and he will do enough in the rest of his career to earn a spot in the HOF.

goldenstater
06-16-2012, 02:17 PM
My favorite player in the majors, awesome player and he will do enough in the rest of his career to earn a spot in the HOF.

im not sure he has enough time left. but i am obsessed with your Tyrion Lannister mack hand Sig!:clap:

Jeffy25
06-16-2012, 02:55 PM
I think Beltran will continue to produce enough to get to the hall of fame. Berkman is a bigger question of current Cards, former Astros that might be hall of famers.

utl768
06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
great player who's career will be defined for looking at strike 3 six years ago

YoungStuna
06-16-2012, 03:51 PM
^No it won't.

Jeffy25
06-16-2012, 04:15 PM

No it won't.

I remember him best for being a total beast in the 04 NL playoffs

Or for being a switch hitting 30/30 caliber good defensive centerfielder for a good long career.

If anyone remembers him for just that, they are ignoring a wonderful career.

Havoc Wreaker
06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Boricuaaaaaaaaaaaaa

**** you Amaro for not signing him and going with the wonders that are Laynce Nix and....I have no idea who else

KingsOfQueens
06-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Do you guys think Beltran is a HOFer?

I think he is. One of the best defensive CFs in the game, a switch hitter that can run and hit. And what he has done for baseball in Puerto Rico can't be ignored.

Only question is...who does he go in as? A Met? Royal?

Sick Of It All
06-16-2012, 07:02 PM
He will go as a Royal, even though he had his best years as a Met.

Jeffy25
06-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Beltran only needs maybe one, maybe two, more seasons like he is doing right now. Then he is easily deserving, or he can limp a few more just slightly above average 2 WAR seasons over the rest of his career.

Basically, two more seasons like 2011, or 3 more seasons like 2005, and he is deserving.

But yes, he will be deserving, and I hope he gets in. Because he does deserve it.

As for cap. He should go in as a Met, despite Mets feelings about him. More value and games played as a Met.

popo85
06-16-2012, 10:52 PM

Agreed.

utl768
06-17-2012, 12:13 AM
No it won't.

I remember him best for being a total beast in the 04 NL playoffs

Or for being a switch hitting 30/30 caliber good defensive centerfielder for a good long career.

If anyone remembers him for just that, they are ignoring a wonderful career.

i loved beltran but most mets fans will never see anything except him looking at 3 curveballs and ending the season

i liked beltran alot and have long since gotten over that but my main issue with beltran is that the effort was lacking way too much for my taste

Sick Of It All
06-17-2012, 12:25 AM
When was the effort lacking?

Just because he made everything look smooth does not mean he was lacking effort, I guess fans need to see a player flail their arms when they run so they can be seen as gritty and showing effort, I guess they need a player to throw his helmet around curse and yell to show they care.

utl768
06-17-2012, 12:41 AM
When was the effort lacking?

Just because he made everything look smooth does not mean he was lacking effort, I guess fans need to see a player flail their arms when they run so they can be seen as gritty and showing effort, I guess they need a player to throw his helmet around curse and yell to show they care.

getting surgery in january and then taking the first 4 months of the season off (when it was clear the team wasnt going to contend) instead of getting cut in october and playing a full year which probably would have helped their chances

dogging it the last half of the 2005 season until the collision with cameron because he was mad at the fans for booing him after he embrassed the team by not running out a play vs the marlins

i still liked beltran alot but he had his moments

Sick Of It All
06-17-2012, 01:04 AM
getting surgery in january and then taking the first 4 months of the season off (when it was clear the team wasnt going to contend) instead of getting cut in october and playing a full year which probably would have helped their chances

dogging it the last half of the 2005 season until the collision with cameron because he was mad at the fans for booing him after he embrassed the team by not running out a play vs the marlins

i still liked beltran alot but he had his moments

LOL

He had bad knees that needed surgery, the Mets were in the wrong there asking to continue to play without him doing anything. The Mets wanted him to do nothing and just rehab and he finally said **** it and had the surgery, he did not do it to take the 1st four months off. If he wanted he could of said **** it the Mets are losing bad, might as well not come back this year and he busted his *** to come back the next year.

Dogging it in 2005?
Do you realize he played with a torn quad that year? He went out there and played hurt instead of going to the DL and then broke his face and came back a week and a half later and you say he was dogging it? gimme a damn break.

This guy gave all he had when he was here, he just was smooth at it and he did not curse or throw things because he is very religious. He was a leader by example and a guy who took many young guys under his wing, but in NY that is not good enough for some fans. They want guys to scream and throw things and act look like running is the hardest thing in the world so fans can see that they are hustling or, they want a guy huff and puff as he runs.

sexicano31
06-17-2012, 01:13 AM

Maybe if your a mets fan.

Its not like he could have actually done anything with the pitch if he swung at it

MetsFanatic19
06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Congrats to him. he deserves it all

MetsFanatic19
06-17-2012, 01:44 AM
he could very well be looking at the 400/400 club if it weren't for injuries

Pinstripe pride
06-18-2012, 08:33 AM
congrats carlos

SenorGato
06-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Probably my favorite player of the 2000's...Just a great all around game.

My jaw dropped a little when I read earlier that he was 300/344 in stolen bases. That's f'n 87% FOR HIS CAREER and this is a player who was stealing 30-40 bases at his best. Back when he was stealing 30+ bases a year he was doing it at a 90% clip. Just a player with great instinct and skills...I'm hoping Albert Almora really is even close to as good as this guy is.