PDA

View Full Version : Is This It For The Nationals Sucking?

xabial
06-15-2012, 04:44 PM
For as Long As I have remembered The Nationals were always a sub-par Team. They Only Made the News when their Rich owner Overpaid greatly For Free Agents Like Jaysen Werth. They were so bad they received Back To Back #1 Picks in consecutive Drafts and Lucky For them Both Picks were Home-Runs. (They Drafted Stephen Strasburg, and Bryce Harper In 2009, and 2010 Respectively. WOW..)

Then They Paid A Hefty Price By Trading Brad Peacock, A.J. Cole, Lefty Tommy Milone — plus catching prospect Derek Norris For Gio Gonzalez.

(Peacock, Cole and Norris ranked third, fourth and ninth, respectively, in Baseball America’s list of the Nationals’ top prospects at the time) EVEN if the Prospects received For Gio are sucking Right Now, at the Time It was considered a Kings Ransom Paid.

The Nationals eventually Locked Up Gio Gonzalez to a reasonable five-year, $42 million extension -- with Team options for the 2017 and '18 seasons.

They then Signed Built around that Off-season By Surprisingly Signing Edwin Jackson as a one-year stop-gap, for them For Him to Build Up His Market Value, in addition to Jordan Zimmerman.

The Nationals Have Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper Locked Up For the Considerable Future, since their MLB call-ups were recent.

Currently This Season Gio Gonzalez has a 8-2 Record with a 2.35 ERA, and Stephen Strasburg Has a 8-1 Record with a 2.45 ERA and 100 Strikeouts.

Bryce Harper Is Currently Hitting .303 With 7 Home Runs, and getting on Base at a .384 chip.

Is It Safe To Assume The Nationals Won't Suck For a Long, Long Time?'

I Guess what I'm asking you is, Do You think The Nationals Lock Up Harper, and Strasburg when they Hit Free Agency in 2018, and 2017, and The Team Won't Have A Losing Record (Barring Injuries), For The Considerable Future.

What Does the Nationals Future Look Like For You? I'm going to go on a Limb and say They Have Respectable records For The Next 12-15 Years, as Long As The Owner Opens Up His Pockets, (And He Should Because He Spent $126M On Jason Werth IMO), To Lock Up Strasburg, and Harper until they Retire.

Wow The Nationals are actually good .. It actually feels wierd Lol.

Carlznerson
06-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm a diehard Nats and O's fan but it has been what 60 games? If they both can keep up this pace say another 60 games from now then yes.

Jeffy25
06-15-2012, 04:57 PM
The Nats should regress just a little bit, but they are only 2 games over their Pythagorean record

As for their future, I think it's a fairly safe future for the next couple of seasons.

metswon69
06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
The Nats are done sucking for the near future barring some hellacious injuries to their core players.

Their SP and bullpen are very good, they have an excellent manager, and if they can their guys fully healthy they can hit with anyone in that division.

Who knows what next year brings but for the foreseeable future they look like a team to be reckoning with.

Btw, this year looks like a 90 to 95 win team imho.

SACNYY
06-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I wish they never became the Nats. The Expo's were a pretty cool team. I loved the uniforms they had before the move.

Mitchell133
06-15-2012, 05:35 PM
They just steamrolled their way through Toronto. REALLY impressive.

J.Twiggy
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Who knows for sure we have had some major injurys and we are still in first place but once we get Werth and Storen back we could go on a run and make the playoffs.

utl768
06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
theyll be pretty good for a couple of years but the lack of a salary cap will ruin the team in 6 years once harper and strasburg are FA's

without money you dont sustain success in baseball

netsgiantsyanks
06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
i envision the yankees sweeping them and losing all confidence and sucking again.

(lol jk, it would be nice, the yankees sweeping them part)

Carlznerson
06-15-2012, 06:04 PM
theyll be pretty good for a couple of years but the lack of a salary cap will ruin the team in 6 years once harper and strasburg are FA's

without money you dont sustain success in baseball

The Nats will find a way to keep both. They have a very baseball savy front office with good relationships with especially Boras.

HickCaesar
06-15-2012, 06:22 PM
The Nats will find a way to keep both. They have a very baseball savy front office with good relationships with especially Boras.

Boras doesn't give discounts. What they have though, is a very rich owner.

When you have money and two number one picks who turn out to be absolute studs, you're gonna be good. Helps that they have a smart FO too, (well, except for that Werth deal). They will be good for a while.

popo85
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
That NL is a good division ATL has some great young talent as well and the Mets pitching been good. Nats have an ace, a good 2 number to in the rotation and the rest of the rotation is stacked. With a healthy Zimmerman next to Harper they will contend for years to come...

gmanthree15
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
They should be very good for the next few years. Thank god the Worth contract should tie their hands a little bit. Without that deal they probably could have been players for Hamilton or Hamels this winter.

metswon69
06-15-2012, 07:14 PM

When you have money and two number one picks who turn out to be absolute studs, you're gonna be good. Helps that they have a smart FO too, (well, except for that Werth deal). They will be good for a while.

Yeah, people are making it like Washington D.C. is a small market, this isn't the Oakland A's or the Pittsburgh Pirates we are talking about here.

Ted Lerner, who 90% of the team's shares is worth 3.3 billion dollars and is one of the 500 richest people in the world.

The Nats should be able to lock up both guys when their original contracts are over or nearly over. Zimmerman and Werth will be near the end of their contracts by then.

metswon69
06-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Yeah, people are making it like Washington D.C. is a small market, this isn't the Oakland A's or the Pittsburgh Pirates we are talking about here.

Ted Lerner, who 90% of the team's shares is worth 3.3 billion dollars and is one of the 500 richest people in the world.

The Nats should be able to lock up both guys when their original contracts are over or nearly over. Zimmerman and Werth will be near the end of their contracts by then.

metswon69
06-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Ted Lerner, who owns 90% of the team's shares is worth 3.3 billion dollars and is one of the 500 richest people in the world.

The Nats should be able to lock up both guys when their original contracts are over or nearly over. Zimmerman and Werth will be near the end of their contracts by then anyway so payroll shouldn't be a huge issue.

utl768
06-15-2012, 07:28 PM

if they both stay healthy they have zero chance to stay with the nationals especially with that albatross of a contract they gave to zimmerman

theLgndKllr35
06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Jaysen? Seriously?

I understand when people **** up his name "Jason", I really do, but when you spell it with the y and STILL get it wrong, literally all hope is lost. It's like you're going out of your way and putting extra effort into stupidity.

Carlznerson
06-15-2012, 07:56 PM
if they both stay healthy they have zero chance to stay with the nationals especially with that albatross of a contract they gave to zimmerman

You're funny.

xabial
06-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Jaysen? Seriously?

I understand when people **** up his name "Jason", I really do, but when you spell it with the y and STILL get it wrong, literally all hope is lost. It's like you're going out of your way and putting extra effort into stupidity.

Did You See How Long My Original Post Was? A lot of Effort was Put In Posting It. There may be one or two Spelling Mistakes, That I may Have Missed. I was typing it really fast, and wrote It Like It was Spelled Out ("Jay-son"). I know how to spell Jason. **** Of.

Its amazing How Many People Miss The Main Idea and the Effort One Puts Into making a Post because of One Misspelled word and because of their Language Fetish.

Its Not Your Fault Though. If You really hate it when people mispronounce words You Can Take That Passion You Have, That Knowledge and actually Use It. (http://www.myenglishpages.com/forum/forum_files/forum_index.php)

metswon69
06-15-2012, 09:22 PM

Werth's contract is an albatross, when healthy Zimmerman is a top 5 third baseman in MLB.

utl768
06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Werth's contract is an albatross, when healthy Zimmerman is a top 5 third baseman in MLB.

:facepalm:

metswon69
06-15-2012, 09:55 PM

How is he not a top 5 3rd baseman when healthy?

Look at his stats from 2006-2010 before he got hurt last year.

Fly
06-15-2012, 10:22 PM

What are you talking about?

2006: .287/.351/.471/wOBA: .348, 4.4 WAR
2007: .266/.330/.458/wOBA: .340, 5.3 WAR
2008: .283/.333/.442/wOBA: .336, 2.5 WAR (missed 50 games)
2009: .292/.364/.525/wOBA: .377, 7.3 WAR
2010: .307/.388/.510/wOBA: .389, 7.2 WAR
2011: .289/.355/.443/wOBA: .347, 2.5 WAR (missed 60 games)

Add in a career 16.9 K% and a 9.2 BB%, plus a career 10.3 UZR/150, he is definitely a top 5 third-baseman in the league. If he isn't tell me 5 guys you'd take over him?