PDA

View Full Version : Thousands rally in Seattle to bring back the Sonics

asandhu23
06-14-2012, 09:29 PM
SEATTLE – Thousands of people, including some Seattle SuperSonics legends, rallied in Occidental Park in downtown Seattle Thursday to drum up support for a new basketball arena and to bring the NBA back to the city.

The rally, led by investor Chris Hansen, began at 4 p.m. at Occidental Park. At least 3,500 people have indicated on the event's Facebook page they will be attending.

Former Sonics Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton and Slick Watts and former Sonics play-by-play announcer Kevin Calabro were expected to be there.

Seattle barber shop: Thunder fan? Get out

Hansen announced Wednesday that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, and Pete and Erik Nordstrom, will be part of the investment group.

For Sonics fans, the rally will be an important milestone.

“We finally have a legitimate arena proposal and an ownership group unmatched,” says an excited Jason Reid, founder of local fan group Sonicsgate. “This is a dream come true. It’s what we’ve been waiting for as fans.”

The rally is expected to wrap up around 6 p.m., just about the time the Oklahoma City Thunder tip off Game 2 of the NBA Finals against the Miami Heat. The Thunder used to be the Sonics before the owners packed up and moved to Oklahoma in 2008. The Thunder lead the best-of-seven series 1-0.

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Bring-back-the-Sonics-rally-downtown-Seattle-159041745.html

and its trending on twitter.

SlimKid
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Awesome.. Hope that city eventually get's a team

tapajafri
06-15-2012, 01:50 AM
send the thunder back where they belong...IN SEATTLE

ChitownBears22
06-15-2012, 01:52 AM
The Thunder moved because those tax payers didn't want the burden of paying for a new stadium. Now they are fine with it because they realized what they last. Stupid.

LTBaByyy
06-15-2012, 01:56 AM
I can't wait for the Sonics vs Thunder rivalry!!!!

DaSeba5
06-15-2012, 01:57 AM
I can't wait for the Sonics vs Thunder rivalry!!!!

This

Slug3
06-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Would the kings move there?

tapajafri
06-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Would the kings move there?

its possible. but that would also be a tragedy. sacramento and seattle both should have teams, two of the best fan bases in the entire nba. the old arco arena from the webber/bibby days would make today's thunder crowd look like child's play. the old arco was ten times louder than okc's crowd.

LTBaByyy
06-15-2012, 02:13 AM
If they move the Kings there it would be the same situation a few years from now in sacremento

Move Charlotte there!!!! Trade #2 pick and Henderson for Harden

And ladies and gentleman you have the best rivalry in sports

Sonics vs Thunder

Harden the #1 guy in Seattle vs Durant

Haha would be funny though

mikekhelxD
06-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Moving the Bobcats to Seattle would be the dumbest and hypocritical of the NBA since you know... it is an expansion team that was created roughly 8 years ago.

Moving the Kings, if there is no chance for them to stay there. But i think the best way is to create another expansion team to satisfy the city and not hurting any other city.

Klivlend
06-15-2012, 03:44 AM
The Thunder moved because those tax payers didn't want the burden of paying for a new stadium. Now they are fine with it because they realized what they last. Stupid.

This is so misguided. Watch the SonicsGate documentary.

ccg34
06-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Great to see some fans care. I'm hoping the NBA will be back in Seattle within a couple years. We will be back. I hate the Thunder. Go Heat.

topdog
06-15-2012, 05:26 AM
As much as I hate to see any city lose its team, it would be nice to see Seattle have a team again and the Kings are the most likely franchise at the moment.

How about a big time franchise trade where the Lakers become the Kings (I know that doesn't solve losing a team in northern California but at least it would be a tie-in), the Kings become the Sonics, Charlotte gets back the Hornets name, NOLA re-assumes Jazz, Minnesota gets Lakers back and Utah becomes the Wolves or Bobcats? Maybe Coyotes... I don't know if there are Wolves there.

Knicks21
06-15-2012, 05:28 AM
If they move the Kings there it would be the same situation a few years from now in sacremento

Sonics vs Thunder

No you don't.

Davidgta1
06-15-2012, 05:56 AM
The thunder should go back there lmao

tyfreaks brotha
06-15-2012, 06:18 AM
As much as I hate to say it... Seattle Kings...

tmacsc2
06-15-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm sure it would be the sonics again. But I herd the maloofs wanna move to anaheim or something like that. I say take the bobcats cause they blow and nobody in charlotte will miss them. Then again I don't want the sonics to blow big dicks....just put a new franchise there?!

ccg34
06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
I would prefer us to come back as an expansion team, but I don't see it happening. The last time I heard they were talking about a contraction. The three teams I wouldn't mind taking would be the Clippers, Bobcats, and the Hawks. I don't see us taking the Clippers though. They make too much money. The Hawks don't have much fans in their city. The Kings would be the team we would most likely get. I would hate to see that happen to Sacramento though. They were very passionate when they had Webber and Bibby.

ccg34
06-15-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm sure it would be the sonics again. But I herd the maloofs wanna move to anaheim or something like that. I say take the bobcats cause they blow and nobody in charlotte will miss them. Then again I don't want the sonics to blow big dicks....just put a new franchise there?!

The team would be renamed the Supersonics again. Seattle owns the colors and team name. I believe the history would be given back too.

Mutombolievable
06-15-2012, 08:32 AM
I would prefer us to come back as an expansion team, but I don't see it happening. The last time I heard they were talking about a contraction. The three teams I wouldn't mind taking would be the Clippers, Bobcats, and the Hawks. I don't see us taking the Clippers though. They make too much money. The Hawks don't have much fans in their city. The Kings would be the team we would most likely get. I would hate to see that happen to Sacramento though. They were very passionate when they had Webber and Bibby.

The Hawks have a contract signed to play in Philips Arena for another 20 some odd years that will be millions and millions and millions to break. You're right, the fans don't always show up but they play in like the 9th biggest market in the NBA. It is tough to see them going anywhere.

theheatles
06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
they need to send this Thunder team back to Seattle and give OKC an expansion team

Sportfan
06-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Send the Warriors there

Mutombolievable
06-15-2012, 09:11 AM
they need to send this Thunder team back to Seattle and give OKC an expansion team

Two wrongs don't make a right.

sweet-d
06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
The team would be renamed the Supersonics again. Seattle owns the colors and team name. I believe the history would be given back too.

No it would be shared.

BranWingss
06-15-2012, 03:00 PM
So would former Seattle Sonic-current OKC Thunder fans root for both the Thunder (still), and the new team? Would be an interesting thing for sure.

iam brett favre
06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
It's trending on twitter?
I bet a team will relocate to Seattle now.

NYKnicksAllDay
06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I doubt expansion happens anytime soon, but I'd love to see teams in Seattle and Vancouver again.

GeekInThePink
06-15-2012, 04:17 PM
As much as I am going to get torn apart for this comment, I feel like Seattle has there chance for a team and I believe a new city deserves one more then them.

bmd1101
06-15-2012, 06:36 PM

You are misinformed.

Robbw241
06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Charlotte has already had their team taken once, take some other dumb team.

NBA_Starter
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Sonics vs Thunder

:no::no::no:

asandhu23
06-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Send the Warriors there

what? Warriors are getting a new arena is San Fran.

NBA_Starter
06-15-2012, 07:44 PM

We won't suck forever, at least not as long as MJ let's Cho continue to make the personnel decisions.

asandhu23
06-15-2012, 07:44 PM
It's trending on twitter?
I bet a team will relocate to Seattle now.

u so funny, Wonka.

BlinkManJan02
06-15-2012, 08:49 PM
That's good to hear about. I really hope they get a team, I definitely feel for them. I would be very sad if the Bucks moved..which could happen, but a city like Seattle and that fan base definitely deserves a team.

Underdogz∞
06-15-2012, 09:01 PM

:laugh2: But I hope they get a new team. I'm all for seeing more teams.