PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis measures out with smallest hands at combine

Fresno
06-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Will this prevent him from being a successful post option?

No player his size at 6'10+ has ever measured with such small hands.

His hands are only 8.50 inches wide which are measured with an open hand from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky. His hands are also surpisingly 9 inches in length when measured from base to the tip of the middle finger.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=9

Everybody knows the story of how he grew from a 6'2 guard to a 6'10 big man within a year, but it appears as if he possesses the small hands of a person who is around an average height of 6'0.

This means that Davis can not palm a NBA sized basketball with 1 hand.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Kwame Brown 2.0

Knicks21
06-14-2012, 07:48 AM
thats just plain weird.

Furymaker
06-14-2012, 07:50 AM
lol , im 5'6'' and my hand is also 8.5'' wide , dude is so weird

rapjuicer06
06-14-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm 5'9 and I have an inch longer hand then him. ****ing crazy. This should not mean a damn thing though.

Ezio
06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Barnes out performed mostly every lotto pick.

Jint.
06-14-2012, 07:59 AM
small hands = little gloves

FrenchSunsFan
06-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Davis ll be a bust but Rudy Gobert ll be that Davis is suposed to be.

http://www.hoopsfix.com/2012/06/video-rudy-gobert-creates-a-buzz-at-adidas-eurocamp/

time4change
06-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Yah if I were the top 11 teams I'd pass on him now, let him slide to the Bucks. lol

A man can dream right...

KB24PG16
06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
uh oh kwame knows...

Carey
06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Davis ll be a bust but Rudy Gobert ll be that Davis is suposed to be.

http://www.hoopsfix.com/2012/06/video-rudy-gobert-creates-a-buzz-at-adidas-eurocamp/

Gobert is def intriguing...cant agree on Davis being a bust tho

bigsams50
06-14-2012, 08:35 AM
NO pass on him :pray:

theheatles
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
he will still be an elite defender once he fills out but his offense will be limited...his best case scenario might be marcus camby

DeRaptor95
06-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Bust alert!

JesusNYY_Savior
06-14-2012, 08:53 AM
He has even smaller hands than kwame lol? I thought he wasnt going to live up to the hype before.. Now I reall think he'll bust

uprightciti
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
wait so this dude is a bust cuz he has a small dick?

RowBTrice
06-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Anthony Davis will be a flop. And he lacks common sense. And he's surrounded himself with idiots. If I had the #1 pick, I'd trade it for a bounty.

justinnum1
06-14-2012, 09:21 AM
makes sense, he grew like 8 inches in one year, gues his hands didnt grow tho...as long as he can palm the ball he will be fine

theheatles
06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
now that i think about it, this seems like somebody got some hgh injections

StinkEye
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
that might hurt his offensive development.

HouRealCoach
06-14-2012, 09:46 AM
He was the second coming last week but now he's Kwame 2.0? lol

D.O.N.
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I just measured my hands, and at 8.9 im not able to comfortably palm the ball whit 1 hand.

Of course im not an NBA bigmen... but this would hurt AD badly

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Small hands = jump shooting Center. Patrick Ewing like.

Southsideheat
06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Just means he'll be a better shooter.

jay084
06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Not a big deal (small hands). It is a bit weird though considering his height.

Mishmin
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Small hands = jump shooting Center. Patrick Ewing like.

Beat me to it.^

jiggin
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
He seemed to handle the ball just fine at the college level. Don't the use the same size ball?

Next report will let us all know he has the biggest eyebrow in NBA history, and how that might effect his vision.

BKLYNpigeon
06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Small Hands are Good! he will be able to get a good feel for the ball and shoot with a Higher Percentage. Shaq had HUGE hands, have you seen his FT percentage?

you only really need Big hands if you're a WR in the NFL.

Kashmir13579
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
The next Jared Jeffries...

The Jokemaker
06-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Despite this no way he isn't the #1 pick. He's got that star power and potential New Orleans needs. Hopefully the coaching staff down there recognizes this small hands thing and finds a way to maximize his talents and not try and make him something he's not. And most importantly Davis needs to know his strengths and play to them and not try and become a different kind of player.

LongWayFromHome
06-14-2012, 12:10 PM
He may still grow, his hands may still grow. it was only a few years ago that he grew 7 inches.

This is one different sorta dude man.

sep11ie
06-14-2012, 12:22 PM
small hands = little gloves

Yea, love gloves...

Kobe2324
06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Wow, had no idea, very interesting, being 6"2 myself I have a really hard time palming a ball which always made it hard to finish dunks. Now with him hes much taller and athletic so he can make up for the smaller hands, where it becomes a problem is on thee entry pass in the post while another big is banging with him down low. I do think this is a big problem for a big guy to have, Kwame being the perfect example but I am sure he will have a good career might not be as good of a scorer because of the hands though.

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 12:30 PM
As soon as I read that I thought Kwame Brown... and started laughing like crazy at the office. Imagine if the Cats going the #1 pick and Jordan chose Davis and he became a bust :laugh2:

socalswag24
06-14-2012, 12:30 PM
That why he can be a good shooter. Bug hands make it harder to shoot

blastmasta26
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
He's like the anti Kawhi Leonard.

TheNumber37
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I think he is still the number 1 pick because of his position, but, I don't think he'll end up being one of the top 5 players in the draft.
Marcus Camby style. Drafted after Iverson, but not better than Ray, Maurbury, Kobe, Nash etc.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
my hands are 8", and I can palm a ball easy.

Kobe and Nique had midget hands, didn't bother them a whole lot.

sep11ie
06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
That why he can be a good shooter. Bug hands make it harder to shoot

Yea, ever seen a Praying Mantis try to shoot a basketball?

rapjuicer06
06-14-2012, 12:49 PM

I don't think people realize it doesn't matter how big your hands are to palm a basketball, it matters how strong your fingers are. Small hands don't mean a whole lot in the pro's. It's just very weird for him to have that small of hands

Kashmir13579
06-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Good point.

TheWhiteMamba
06-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Davis = better version of Tyrus Thomas

dee279
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM

His 10 foot long arms might make up for it.

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Small hands = Small peen.

JEDean89
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think people realize it doesn't matter how big your hands are to palm a basketball, it matters how strong your fingers are. Small hands don't mean a whole lot in the pro's. It's just very weird for him to have that small of hands

that is false. hand size does matter when palming a basketball. fingerstrength helps, but your hands need to be at least a certain size to palm it. wtf.

gotoHcarolina52
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
He'll be fine

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=729786&page=3 (http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CondiRice2.jpg)

pd1dish
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
idk, i watched a lot of UK games and it didnt seem to affect him in any way. he will always be a dominant defender no matter what and he has already shown offensive skills at age 18 (now 19). think about what he could be in 3-4 years offensively no matter what sized hands he has. he has a soft touch on his shot.

Kuya_Clive
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
You know what they say about a guy with small hands right? They...they...they be sayin', damn you got some small hands

Matrix3132
06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
idk, i watched a lot of UK games and it didnt seem to affect him in any way. he will always be a dominant defender no matter what and he has already shown offensive skills at age 18 (now 19). think about what he could be in 3-4 years offensively no matter what sized hands he has. he has a soft touch on his shot.

You might be a little young but scouts/analysts said the EXACT same thing about Kwame

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
You know what they say about a guy with small hands right? They...they...they be sayin', damn you got some small hands

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/funny-celebrity-pictures-dealing-with-it-before-it-was-cool.gif

NoahH
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
you know what they say about a guy with small hands right? They...they...they be sayin', damn you got some small hands

+1

Fresno
06-14-2012, 02:49 PM

He doesn't have much offensive skills tho.

He just has freakish speed, lateral agility, etc for a 6'10 player.

Most of the skills he has are based on the fact he's played on the perimeter his whole life up to recentely, which is a lot different from most big men who grow up always being taller than everybody and having to play C from middle school all the way to the NBA.

Fresno
06-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Its not a problem for perimeter players because they handle the ball a lot.

Its a major problem for big men.

Now that these numbers were released, it makes me seeing him fumble the basketball a lot at Kentucky when he'd catch the ball seem like a real issue.

kjoke
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Would be funny if he doens't get picked first because he has small hands

Fresno
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
He may still grow, his hands may still grow. it was only a few years ago that he grew 7 inches.

This is one different sorta dude man.

Davis had a freak growth spurt for his height already.

Im sure he's done growing unless he has a medical condition.

Il Mago50
06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
You know what they say about small hands...

Cant make big shadow puppets

Sinestro
06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Kwame!!

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Its not a problem for perimeter players because they handle the ball a lot.

Its a major problem for big men.

Now that these numbers were released, it makes me seeing him fumble the basketball a lot at Kentucky when he'd catch the ball seem like a real issue.

Point is, they are big enough. I can palm a ball easily, and mine are barely 8".

RC3
06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I think anthony davis will be a bust. I don't see how he can be this hall of fame player.

MassoDio
06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
He has the skinniest hands, but the length of his hands is just fine. I am sure he can still palm a ball. The width of your hands don't determine that.

And as far as the Kwame comparisons...Kwame has bricks for hands, that is his problem, not the size.

Anthony Davis has the same length and width of hand as Harrison Barnes. No one is worried about Barnes being able to palm the ball. And I have seen Barnes pick up the ball with one hand off the dribble to dunk.

Smaller hands on big men also help in the development of a jump shot, and free throws. He may not have as good of a post game, but with slight build, I doubt that was going to be the case anyways. I think this is pretty much a non-issue.

Davis may still turn out to be a bust, but his hand size will have absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

It is interesting though. I guess that is what growing 8 inches that quickly will do. Although his hands could very well grow over the next couple of seasons. Men do not usually stop growing completely until they are around 25.

nolafan33
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
http://balljunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/cache/63709_NpAdvSinglePhoto.jpg

If anything, small hands allow you to shoot better.

Teeboy1487
06-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Point is, they are big enough. I can palm a ball easily, and mine are barely 8".

It's ironic because my hands of 9'' and I can't palm the ball to save my life. I agree. I don't think this matters. Davis will be as good as his development and his work ethic takes him. That's working hard in the gym and working on his game.

MassoDio
06-14-2012, 03:54 PM
It's ironic because my hands of 9'' and I can't palm the ball to save my life.

My hands are about 8.5 inches, and I can palm a ball. Palming a basketball isn't all about length of hand, it is also about strength as well. I play piano and guitar, so the muscles in my hands are strong. I would imagine that Anthony Davis has strong hands as well, since he does almost nothing but play basketball.

homestarunner93
06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
This is a serious problem for his offensive potential. People can say the Combine doesn't matter, but this matters. This is a Kwame Brown-like issue. Luckily for team, he is a near certain impact defender.

numba1CHANGsta
06-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Davis=Bust

GMEN4EVER
06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Lol, this isn't nearly as important as some would make you believe. The Kwame jokes don't add up here. Kwame has bad hands, Davis doesn't. How big or small your hands are doesn't relate directly to how well you can use them. Davis had very good ball control and caught passes well, he shows now signs of having stone hands. He'll be fine.

nolafan33
06-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Kwame having small hands was one of the last reasons he busted. Greg Monroe only has 8.75 inch hands, how has that negatively impacted his career? Derrick Favors is 8.75 as well.

We're talking like an inch being the difference in being a bust and not a bust? If Anthony Davis was 9.50 instead of 8.50 this thread wouldn't even exist.

FrenchSunsFan
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Davis ll be a bust but not cause he have small hands or one big eyebrow.

Fresno
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Kwame having small hands was one of the last reasons he busted. Greg Monroe only has 8.75 inch hands, how has that negatively impacted his career? Derrick Favors is 8.75 as well.

We're talking like an inch being the difference in being a bust and not a bust? If Anthony Davis was 9.50 instead of 8.50 this thread wouldn't even exist.
No, it was the primary reason why he was an ineffective post player because he couldn't handle passes nor finish with 1 hand going to either side. All he could do is get the ball and dunk with both hands at the rim, and that is primarily why he's been a terrible offensive player throughout his career. Anything else he did netted into a turnover because he couldn't control the basketball.

Also you need to actually take a look at that table.

Greg Monroe & Derrick Favors have lengths of their hands at 8.75, but the width of Monroe's hands is 9.50 and Favors width of his hands are 9.25. If you knew anything about measurements you'd realize that the difference in width is huge between Monroe/Favors & Davis. The seperation in 1/2 of an inch in width from tip of thumb to tip of pinky is significant because it is very visisble to notice.

Anthony Davis has long hands, but his hands are abnormally narrow for a player his size. The only 2 players with equally narrow or thinner hands in Damion James & James Anderson each have had their options denied & will be released by their respective teams this summer. Notice the correlation between narrow hands & lack of NBA production in the past few years.

nolafan33
06-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Kwame couldn't handle passes because he had stones for hands.

Fresno
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Lol, this isn't nearly as important as some would make you believe. The Kwame jokes don't add up here. Kwame has bad hands, Davis doesn't. How big or small your hands are doesn't relate directly to how well you can use them. Davis had very good ball control and caught passes well, he shows now signs of having stone hands. He'll be fine.

Yes, it does.

The length of Davis' hands to the tip of his middle finger allow him to be such a great shot blocker to go along with his height, wingspan, athleticism, & most importantly his timing on blocking shots. Just the extra .25 an inch for the middle finger gives you a better chance than someone with smaller hands to get a "fingertip" on a shot going up.

Everybody knows he's going to be a great defensive player.

The problem is simply the width and the fact that it is extremely important on the offensive end for a big man. Post players with large hands have a much better ability to catch the ball with good grib either on rebounds or on alley oops. Davis did not have the ability to dunk a ball with 1 hand which was the case in college, and he rarely showed any low post moves that would show touch around the basket using either hand. Having larger hands helps with touch to be able to effectively finish with a basket off the backboard.

Fresno
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Kwame couldn't handle passes because he had stones for hands.

Kwame couldn't handle passes because he had small hands. Also, he had no touch around the basket because he had small hands. These things people knew about before he was even drafted. It also didn't help that he had no work ethic to try to become a jumpshooter C who stretches a defense out to 10-15 feet instead.

The question is if Anthony Davis will try to become a low post player on offense or if he's going to model his game after someone like Chris Bosh and work on being a jumpshooting big man.

MassoDio
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
No, it was the primary reason why he was an ineffective post player because he couldn't handle passes nor finish with 1 hand going to either side. All he could do is get the ball and dunk with both hands at the rim, and that is primarily why he's been a terrible offensive player throughout his career. Anything else he did netted into a turnover because he couldn't control the basketball.

Also you need to actually take a look at that table.

Greg Monroe & Derrick Favors have lengths of their hands at 8.75, but the width of Monroe's hands is 9.50 and Favors width of his hands are 9.25. If you knew anything about measurements you'd realize that the difference in width is huge between Monroe/Favors & Davis. The seperation in 1/2 of an inch in width from tip of thumb to tip of pinky is significant because it is very visisble to notice.

Anthony Davis has long hands, but his hands are abnormally narrow for a player his size. The only 2 players with equally narrow or thinner hands in Damion James & James Anderson each have had their options denied & will be released by their respective teams this summer. Notice the correlation between narrow hands & lack of NBA production in the past few years.

So that means Barnes is going to bust as well? Cause his and Anthony Davis' hands are the same exact size according to the table you posted.

And Kwame's trouble with his hands are directly related to his not knowing how to use them, and not having soft hands, and not being able to control the ball with his hands. There are plenty of players in the league who have small hands and have learned to control the ball. They are called point guards for the most part.

Having small hands may change his APPROACH to the game, but it does not correlate to whether or not he will be a good basketball player or not.

Kwame has a lack of skill. Including being able to catch and handle the basketball. His inability to catch and handle a basketball have to do with his use of his hands, not the size. Mugsey Bogues has tiny hands, but was a wizard with the basketball in his hands. Same can be said for Spudd Webb.

And before you go to the, "but those are point guards, and Barnes is a Small Forward" argument....

The two examples you gave of guys who didn't have their options picked up, supposedly because of their small hands, are a 6'7 sf, and a 6'6 sg. You are using small players as examples. Plus, like I said, it may change his APPROACH to the game, but it doesn't doom him in any possible way you can think of.

Bottom line, no one measurement will predict whether a player will be good or not. There are no factual based claims to say otherwise. You either develop your game or don't. You either have talent or you don't. Kwame had loads of athletic ability, and no talent at basketball. That is why he failed.

And let me make this clear.....I happen to think Anthony Davis is over-hyped. I see more Marcus Camby in him than Dwight/KG/Duncan, or any one else. I just feel that the size of his hands a re a ridiculous reason to say he will not live up to expectations. His slight frame at a power position is far more likely to cause him to fail than his hand size.

greg_ory_2005
06-14-2012, 05:53 PM
At least give him a chance to play before calling him a bust. :laugh2:

BALLER R
06-14-2012, 06:02 PM

This. It depends on your grip strength not just the size of your hands.

popo85
06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Kwame couldn't handle passes because he had small hands. Also, he had no touch around the basket because he had small hands. These things people knew about before he was even drafted. It also didn't help that he had no work ethic to try to become a jumpshooter C who stretches a defense out to 10-15 feet instead.

The question is if Anthony Davis will try to become a low post player on offense or if he's going to model his game after someone like Chris Bosh and work on being a jumpshooting big man.

Kwame also mentally couldn't handle the pressure of being the 1st pick.

kingsdelez24
06-14-2012, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM

This, and just this

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Kwame Brown 2.0---DUN DUN DUN

ink
06-14-2012, 06:09 PM
At least give him a chance to play before calling him a bust. :laugh2:

Thing is, the hype is so huge with this guy that he is bound to under-achieve, relative to all the buildup. If Camby is one of the benchmarks for Davis to reach that in itself would be a disappointment. Being a Raptors fan you know that Camby was hardly a franchise player, though he was a very good one-dimensional one. I remember being really underwhelmed with Davis' performance in the championship March Madness game, despite all the hysterical hype. He was awful on offence, missing shot after shot after shot. I think broadcasters and writers didn't want to talk much about that because it ruined the hero story they had been building all season. There's a big chance that he will be eclipsed next year by some of the other picks that are being dismissed as also rans right now. Maybe the Bobcats got a break when they missed out on a #1 pick. :shrug: This draft, for whatever reason, started out as being overhyped, then all the hype shifted to Davis, and now we will have to wait and see. Seems that the draft prognoses on this one may be the weakest we've seen in a while.

yojoe792
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Small hands means he has a better chance to be a great shooter. He's not going to have trouble grabbing boards or blocking shots. I think all it means is that he's better suited as a 4

fadedmario
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Unibrow & small hands = crackhead parents

Kwame Brown 2.0

The goods
06-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Kwame Brown!!!!

CityofChaos
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
You know what they say about small hands...

SugeKnight
06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
:laugh: I have bigger hands and Im 5' ****in 9"

Mckphins
06-14-2012, 09:12 PM
My god, people knocking on the guy for having small hands. Gtfo

BKdoubleStacker
06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
lol at those bodyfats

some of those guys would be dead if they were that low

0nekhmer
06-14-2012, 10:48 PM
lmao your big cannot have small hands ffs! if he can't palm a ball, he's gonna get stripped so easily on post ups, wont be able to handle hard passes. I hope he does bust, he's been overhyped for far too long.

RaiderKid318
06-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Lol so many bitter fans in here. People always find a reason to talk down on #1 pick. He will be number one and will be a stud

Mckphins
06-14-2012, 11:21 PM
lmao your big cannot have small hands ffs! if he can't palm a ball, he's gonna get stripped so easily on post ups, wont be able to handle hard passes. I hope he does bust, he's been overhyped for far too long.

Yer cause that's his fault for being overhyped. Give the guy a break. He's played lights out in college and deserves to be number one pick no question. Saying you hope he busts because he's got small hands? Gees get a life. Bitter much

SugeKnight
06-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Ever see that burger king commerial?

ewing
06-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Thing is, the hype is so huge with this guy that he is bound to under-achieve, relative to all the buildup. If Camby is one of the benchmarks for Davis to reach that in itself would be a disappointment. Being a Raptors fan you know that Camby was hardly a franchise player, though he was a very good one-dimensional one. I remember being really underwhelmed with Davis' performance in the championship March Madness game, despite all the hysterical hype. He was awful on offence, missing shot after shot after shot. I think broadcasters and writers didn't want to talk much about that because it ruined the hero story they had been building all season. There's a big chance that he will be eclipsed next year by some of the other picks that are being dismissed as also rans right now. Maybe the Bobcats got a break when they missed out on a #1 pick. :shrug: This draft, for whatever reason, started out as being overhyped, then all the hype shifted to Davis, and now we will have to wait and see. Seems that the draft prognoses on this one may be the weakest we've seen in a while.

I dont love this kid either. This a lot post on his hand size but as clumsy as he looked at times i think he is over hyped. I think if the skill sets bring Camby thats great but thats not how he being billed. I dont see how this kid real difference maker in the nba next year.

loublue22
06-15-2012, 12:29 AM
I dont love this kid either. This a lot post on his hand size but as clumsy as he looked at times i think he is over hyped. I think if the skill sets bring Camby thats great but thats not how he being billed. I dont see how this kid real difference maker in the nba next year.

Davis has NEVER looked clumsy, that's one of the main reasons he's regarded so highly.

Does anyone on this board actually watch basketball? bunch of morons

Fnom11
06-15-2012, 12:35 AM
wait so this dude is a bust cuz he has a small dick?

Essentially

ewing
06-15-2012, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=loublue22;22533192]Davis has NEVER looked clumsy, that's one of the main reasons he's regarded so highly.

Does anyone on this board actually watch basketball? bunch of morons[/QUOTE

He looks clumsy all time. Dude has some amazing quickness but he looks like a guy that grew a foot in a year.

loublue22
06-15-2012, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=loublue22;22533192]Davis has NEVER looked clumsy, that's one of the main reasons he's regarded so highly.

Does anyone on this board actually watch basketball? bunch of morons[/QUOTE

He looks clumsy all time. Dude has some amazing quickness but he looks like a guy that grew a foot in a year.

No he doesn't, his ball control and instincts are amazing, you are talking out of your ***

TmacBryant
06-15-2012, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=ewing;22533273]

No he doesn't, his ball control and instincts are amazing, you are talking out of your ***

small hands = better free throw %? x.x

loublue22
06-15-2012, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=loublue22;22533283]

small hands = better free throw %? x.x

sure, Davis is an excellent FT shooter

ChitownBears22
06-15-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't know how this will translate for him. He is a shooter so it can't hurt I guess.

da ThRONe
06-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Would be funny if he doens't get picked first because he has small hands

I don't think his hand size will be his undoing. I think his lack of offensive skill and questionable post defense will be what prevents him from being anything more than a solid starter.

Korman12
06-15-2012, 02:04 AM
I don't think his hand size will be his undoing. I think his lack of offensive skill and questionable post defense will be what prevents him from being anything more than a solid starter.

His post-defense is supremely elite. His instincts are second-to-none in terms of that, and his offensive skills is still superior (outlet passing, shooting ability) than a majority of big men. He shot 65% from the floor with those hands.

He outperformed everyone post player on the defensive end in college to the point where it seemed almost stupid. Jumping off ship for this is idiotic.

Korman12
06-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Seriously, questioning his post defense? Are you kidding? He's the best post-defensive prospect to come out of college in years.

loublue22
06-15-2012, 02:25 AM
His post-defense is supremely elite. His instincts are second-to-none in terms of that, and his offensive skills is still superior (outlet passing, shooting ability) than a majority of big men. He shot 65% from the floor with those hands.

He outperformed everyone post player on the defensive end in college to the point where it seemed almost stupid. Jumping off ship for this is idiotic.

Questioning his offensive skill is nearly as ridiculous, his skill set is incredible for his size and age

MagicBucsSox
06-15-2012, 03:00 AM

Dude that was vs bums. And smaller ppl. The one guy (Ezeli) his size abused him. Thomas Robinson gave him work but Davis weak side blocked him all game. That's his strength. Weak side help. In the league with guys his size and 20lbs + on him......idk

Becks2307
06-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Kwame Brown didn't go to college and dominate, i don't see the comparison.

Korman12
06-15-2012, 03:45 AM
Dude that was vs bums. And smaller ppl. The one guy (Ezeli) his size abused him. Thomas Robinson gave him work but Davis weak side blocked him all game. That's his strength. Weak side help. In the league with guys his size and 20lbs + on him......idk

Abused him? The Wildcat's one of two losses did come against Vandy, but Kentucky also beat them twice before that last season. Ezeli had five more points in the third game, yes, where he scored 17 (5-9 shooting, 7-10 FT), with 6 rebounds and a block to Davis' 12 points (4-9 shooting, 4-8 FT), with 10 rebounds and 3 blocks. But in the previous two, Davis was the better player.

Combined average stats from previous two meetings:

Ezeli: 14 points, 6 rebounds, 2.5 blocks per game
Davis: 21.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 6.5 blocks per game

Did Ezeli perform better in the other game? Kinda? But if that's the case of "abuse," in which Davis still outperformed Ezeli overall, then that's pretty weak.

And again, you can't use the whole "bums" thing, because if that were the case, then you have to disregard all college player's efforts because they're all playing against that competition. It's not as if Thomas Robinson wasn't playing those types of players, or Harrison Barnes. That's what every prospect is matched up against.

Korman12
06-15-2012, 04:02 AM

He's literally the exact same weight that Garnett was coming into the league.

amos1er
06-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Oh no...Remember Kwame Brown...Stone hands. He was picked first overall in 2001 and no one thought to question his hand size. He used to fumble the ball a ton due to his small hands. Kwame is 6'11 too. Maybe he isn't such a wise first pick after all.

loublue22
06-15-2012, 04:06 AM
Oh no...Remember Kwame Brown...Stone hands. He was picked first overall in 2001 and no one thought to question his hand size. He used to fumble the ball a ton due to his small hands. Kwame is 6'11 too. Maybe he isn't such a wise first pick after all.

:facepalm:

billsftw
06-15-2012, 04:07 AM
Questioning his offensive skill is nearly as ridiculous, his skill set is incredible for his size and age

please just stfu.

amos1er
06-15-2012, 04:10 AM
:facepalm:

Touche!!! :rolleyes:

billsftw
06-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Touche!!! :rolleyes:

he's got a hardone for davis..dunno why

MagicBucsSox
06-15-2012, 04:22 AM
Abused him? The Wildcat's one of two losses did come against Vandy, but Kentucky also beat them twice before that last season. Ezeli had five more points in the third game, yes, where he scored 17 (5-9 shooting, 7-10 FT), with 6 rebounds and a block to Davis' 12 points (4-9 shooting, 4-8 FT), with 10 rebounds and 3 blocks. But in the previous two, Davis was the better player.

Combined average stats from previous two meetings:

Ezeli: 14 points, 6 rebounds, 2.5 blocks per game
Davis: 21.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 6.5 blocks per game

Did Ezeli perform better in the other game? Kinda? But if that's the case of "abuse," in which Davis still outperformed Ezeli overall, then that's pretty weak.

And again, you can't use the whole "bums" thing, because if that were the case, then you have to disregard all college player's efforts because they're all playing against that competition. It's not as if Thomas Robinson wasn't playing those types of players, or Harrison Barnes. That's what every prospect is matched up against.
Stop being about stats, abused him as far as physicality.

Robinson went against pj3, Henson, terrance jones& Davis, destroyed Sullingers draft stock, them mizzou boys like he's performed vs all comers

MagicBucsSox
06-15-2012, 04:25 AM
He's literally the exact same weight that Garnett was coming into the league.

I'm aware of that. But there hasn't been many to become much, I hope the best for the brother, but small hands is a problem, cannot be over looked.

And that guys an idiot questioning his offensive skills. I question him being the defensive presence he was at UK in the nba, that's all

Korman12
06-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Stop being about stats, abused him as far as physicality.

Robinson went against pj3, Henson, terrance jones& Davis, destroyed Sullingers draft stock, them mizzou boys like he's performed vs all comers

It doesn't matter if there was a physical difference if Davis still ended up outperforming him. Hell, Davis best game of the season came against Ezeli when he had 28 points on 10-11 shooting, 11 boards, and 5 blocks.

His thinner frame may make you think he's getting pushed around, but if the numbers say that didn't matter - then it didn't matter. The talent is there.

Korman12
06-15-2012, 04:31 AM
I'm aware of that. But there hasn't been many to become much, I hope the best for the brother, but small hands is a problem, cannot be over looked.

And that guys an idiot questioning his offensive skills. I question him being the defensive presence he was at UK in the nba, that's all

Well I'd tend to think, like everyone else here, is that there's no way he'll average the near 5 blocks per game he did at Kentucky. But with his insane athleticism, high basketball IQ, and unreal instincts, he has the easy potential to be as active a shot blocker as Ibaka, and a better rebounder both offensively and defensively.

Not to say that's his ceiling.

loublue22
06-15-2012, 04:35 AM
please just stfu.

Have you actually watched him play? Or are you just relying on Sportscenter highlights of blocks and dunks.

This narrative that has come up that he is "limited" offensively is just wrong, I don't know any other way to say it. Of course he needs to gain weight, and he will struggle somewhat until he does, but that has nothing to do with his skills.

Please tell me the offensive skills or instincts you believe he lacks.

billsftw
06-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Have you actually watched him play? Or are you just relying on Sportscenter highlights of blocks and dunks.

This narrative that has come up that he is "limited" offensively is just wrong, I don't know any other way to say it. Of course he needs to gain weight, and he will struggle somewhat until he does, but that has nothing to do with his skills.

Please tell me the offensive skills or instincts you believe he lacks.

ok you heard it here first guys: anthony davis is the next hakeem Olajuwan/ Dwight Howard hybrid. There's nothing lacking in his game.

b@llhog24
06-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Bust.

loublue22
06-15-2012, 04:51 AM
ok you heard it here first guys: anthony davis is the next hakeem Olajuwan/ Dwight Howard hybrid. There's nothing lacking in his game.

I didn't say that at all. He's not a center, so that wouldn't make any sense anyway.

And good job not answering the question.

Sssmush
06-15-2012, 05:23 AM
has anybody even checked the story of the OP?

I just looked at some Anthony Davis highlights from college, and the guy seems to have quite large hands, for sure at least decent size hands for his body size.

I mean there is highlight after highlight, and he's scooping one handed rebounds, doing finger-rolls, palming dunks, snatching blocks straight out of the air... wtf?

Sssmush
06-15-2012, 05:27 AM
ok, I looked at the draft stats. I still have my doubts. I feel like this is being drastically overstated somehow. Lots of the players have similar sized hands, also.

Bigbadmoffo
06-15-2012, 06:41 AM
He can't cup the ball I bet. That can make it tough.

Cracka2HI!
06-15-2012, 11:28 PM
This certainly isn't a good thing. I can see him not being successful offensively because of this. He can't even dunk with 1 hand. That will really hamper the rest of his offense around the rim too. He should still be good and athletic enough to be an impact player, but I think this really hurts his upside.

nolafan33
06-15-2012, 11:48 PM
http://talkingsportswithyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/anthony_davis_rips_a_one_hand_dunk_in_kentuckys_wi n_over_louisville_in_the_final_four.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120401011827-uk-louisville-dunk-story-top.jpg

http://media.govolsxtra.com/media/img/photos/2012/03/12/media_7a0aa022d4bc4bb7ae37329ca5e0d4df_t607.jpg

http://ksr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/davis.gif

SA5195
06-15-2012, 11:48 PM
What the hell how is that even possible? :S

tredigs
06-16-2012, 01:18 AM
This certainly isn't a good thing. I can see him not being successful offensively because of this. He can't even dunk with 1 hand. That will really hamper the rest of his offense around the rim too. He should still be good and athletic enough to be an impact player, but I think this really hurts his upside.

? Anthony Davis says otherwise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMr4kBYG42w

If anything smaller/normal hands will help his shooting ability. I see this is as a potential positive for him.

nolafan33
06-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Are his hands really that small anyway?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ant_4.jpg

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ant_2.jpg

Fresno
06-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Are his hands really that small anyway?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ant_4.jpg

http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ant_2.jpg

1. Stop posting pictures. Thats not allowed.

2. His hands are long, but abnormally narrow for a NBA player his size.

Monta is beast
06-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Your allowed to post pictures wtf lol

MassoDio
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
For what it's worth, this is what Jay Bilas said about Anthony Davis.

Anthony Davis, Kentucky Wildcats
Davis is the only player in this draft who is a sure thing. Even if he never develops as an offensive player, his defensive range and ability to impact the game on the defensive end makes him the consensus No. 1 selection. He gracefully covers ground. With his mobility, length, timing and tenacity, Davis can block and change shots from at the rim to 15 feet out.

He doesn't just block shots, he blocks jump shots, and can move his feet to cover the court like no other big man in this class. Davis has a freaky 7-foot-5 wingspan, and his hands are phenomenal. He catches everything, and he is just scratching the surface of how good he can be on the offensive end. As he gets stronger and more mature, Davis will be a star.

Regardless of whether or not you value Bilas' opinion, he watches a lot of college basketball, and it isn't hard to tell if a guy catches everything and has good hands or not.

D-Leethal
06-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Reminds me of when PSD scouts had Durant pegged as a bust because he couldn't lift the 185 lb bench press more than once.

nolafan33
06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
For what it's worth, this is what Jay Bilas said about Anthony Davis.

Regardless of whether or not you value Bilas' opinion, he watches a lot of college basketball, and it isn't hard to tell if a guy catches everything and has good hands or not.

He's going to magically lose that ability in the NBA though.

Blazers#1Fan
06-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Will this prevent him from being a successful post option?

No player his size at 6'10+ has ever measured with such small hands.

His hands are only 8.50 inches wide which are measured with an open hand from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky. His hands are also surpisingly 9 inches in length when measured from base to the tip of the middle finger.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=9

Everybody knows the story of how he grew from a 6'2 guard to a 6'10 big man within a year, but it appears as if he possesses the small hands of a person who is around an average height of 6'0.

This means that Davis can not palm a NBA sized basketball with 1 hand.

crazy im 5'9" and i can palm a nba ball i got big hands for my size though my hands are almost as big as MJ's

so dunking for him wont be very good i guess i think his hands will grow he's still young

just imagine the hornets though he will be a beast

Okafor
Davis
Ariza
Gordon
Rivers or Marshall

rickyk13
06-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I can relate 6'5 with smaller hands than that. I never noticed this season but does he only do 2 handed slams? It should make him a better shooter but when you think hes the same size as durant and hes nowhere near as good of a shooter or ball handler Id say his potential just took quite a hit....needs to develop a jump hook lol

Vinny642
06-18-2012, 05:14 PM
IM fine with the small handsm its all goooooood

8kobe24
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I can relate 6'5 with smaller hands than that. I never noticed this season but does he only do 2 handed slams? It should make him a better shooter but when you think hes the same size as durant and hes nowhere near as good of a shooter or ball handler Id say his potential just took quite a hit....needs to develop a jump hook lol

lol, tru dat, a sweeeeeping hook.

I'm 5'8" and only about 1/2" smaller based on their way of measuring hands. Kwame 2.0, us laker fans can relate to that.

dalton749
06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
i guess he got lucky because if your hand is bigger than your face you have cancer.

felixng2012
06-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Small hands can be good though. Easier to shoot.

Beltrans Mole
06-18-2012, 08:13 PM
i guess he got lucky because if your hand is bigger than your face you have cancer.

lol touche

albertc86
06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Small hands can be good though. Easier to shoot.

How is this true?

Blitzbolt
06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Girls don't really care how big IT is.Its all about how you use it.

.....Wait what are we talking about?

Soccer008
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I have 8.5" hands and have been able to palm a ball since like 7th grade.

Vampirate
10-21-2014, 01:13 AM
So um yeah, that Anthony Davis fellow, really gonna bust huh.

kingsdelez24
10-21-2014, 01:47 AM
I guess he overcompensated with every other physical attribute... eyebrows included

jerellh528
10-21-2014, 01:53 AM
How is this true?

Try shooting a basketball in a hoop, then try shooting like a tennis ball in the hoop. More surface to contact area= more control

MTar786
10-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Try shooting a basketball in a hoop, then try shooting like a tennis ball in the hoop. More surface to contact area= more control

a soccer ball is easier to shoot into a hoop than a bball. a tennis ball is too extreme when ur basing size. thats like saying try shooting a giant beach ball into a hoop

MonroeFAN
10-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Harrison Barnes outperformed everyone.

2-ONE-5
10-21-2014, 08:47 AM
whoever bumped this from 2 years ago has waaaay too much time on their hands

uprightciti
10-21-2014, 09:24 AM
that means he has a tiny ****

Vampirate
10-21-2014, 10:24 AM

That would be me, with the whole Jordan vs Kobe thing going in these forums I decided to look at he differences, one of them was the hand size, this lead from one thing to another and before I knew it this old thread came up.

Goose17
10-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Now I really think he'll bust

:laugh:

I love reading old threads like this.

xbrackattackx
10-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Bust alert!

:laugh:

I love reading old threads like this.

Me too! :D

Robbw241
10-21-2014, 04:42 PM
God the people on this site are so dumb :speechless:

TrueFan420
10-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Maybe or they just got tired of talking about Kobe/Lebron and decided to bump something.