PDA

View Full Version : Chris Palmer: "The Dream Team Would Lose To Todays Players Badly"

Pages : [1] 2

MetroMan
06-14-2012, 01:35 AM
ESPNChrisPalmer chris palmer
Not disparaging the Dream Team. They changed basketball by globalizing the game. But they would lose today.

OK, KG and Timmy, you can play too. Need you to guard the ringless Barkley and Malone.

The advancements in skill and athleticism can't be ignored. Too much for '92 to overcome.

Dream Team can't guard speed. And there's no Easter Bunny. Sorry you're finding out like this.

Jordan on Kobe. Pippen on LeBron. Who guards KD, Rose, Westbrook?

Dream Team had lots of subpar defenders: Mullin, Bird (back), Drexler, Laettner.

Defensive core of Kobe, LeBron, Wade is simply the best ever.

The speed alone would overwhelm the 30-something Dream Team.

Respect to the Dream Team. But Kobe, LeBron, Durant, Wade, Howard, CP3, Westbrook, Rondo would run them off the floor.

Baller1
06-14-2012, 01:42 AM
In all honesty, trying to compare different generations is completely pointless. He makes valid points, but again, it's pointless.

Joshtd1
06-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Not going to really choose one side over another, but I think it would be a pretty close match. Stockton is one of the best ever PG's. Magic aka the best PG ever. You have the best SG ever in Jordan. Pippen and Bird is an amazing SF combo. Have great scorers in Drexler and Mullins who would light it up outside. Barkley and Malone who are considered 2 of the top 5 PF ever. Robinson who is a monster.

I would imagine that team playing a lot of zone against the redeem team since shooting isn't a huge strength of theirs. However the redeem team has greats them self, and guys who have chance to be top 5 at their position as well.

Would be extremely great to watch.

Davidgta1
06-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Dream team would of raped the redeem team or any other team for that matter.

NYMetros
06-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Respect to the Dream Team. But Kobe, LeBron, Durant, Wade, Howard, CP3, Westbrook, Rondo would run them off the floor.

20 years from now people will say the exact same thing about these guy.

Sinestro
06-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Chris Palmer is the most idiotic ESPN analyst, and thats saying a lot, the Dream team could compete today easily

b@llhog24
06-14-2012, 01:49 AM
He's right people just want to go on believing that the dream team was unbeatable.

Mr_Jones
06-14-2012, 01:52 AM
He's right people just want to go on believing that the dream team was unbeatable.

Just because they were the first of their kind.

Kind of ridiculous, if you ask me. Not God, or Andy can tell me otherwise! **** ANDY! HES SUCH A *****!

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 01:53 AM
He's 100% correct I love MJ but he's litterally the only player who belongs on the same court with the great players of today. It's like comparing terminator models lol.

Odominator
06-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Really? Do people remember how fast and quick Sir Charles was back in 92? Easy for people to say this now looking back 20 years and forgetting how skilled and athletic the Dream Team was.

Palmer is a BON-A-FIDE idiot.

Joshtd1
06-14-2012, 02:01 AM
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2008MSNTRoster.html

Pretty sure the 92 dream team would be able to beat that redeem team from 2008 quite easily.

popo85
06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Bspn

RB#20
06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
You 18 year olds that are posting are ****ing retards if you think today's players could compete. Dream Team 95-42 against the guys of today. Sorry but the concept of playing good Defense in today's NBA is taking a charge. Most of the guys wouldn't know what to do if the league were defensive minded. Look what happened after Jordan retired. Only a handful of players could score through good Defense.

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Dream team >>>>>>>>>>>>>

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 02:03 AM
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2008MSNTRoster.html

Pretty sure the 92 dream team would be able to beat that redeem team from 2008 quite easily.

You guys are bugggin'. If there was a squad like the '08 Spanish team in existence in '92 they would not be known as the DREAM TEAM. They were balling against international squads that would probably lose to some High School teams back then.

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2012, 02:05 AM
LOL he rips on Barkley and Malone for being ringless then sucks Lebrons nuts 2 seconds later. what a stupid *** argument

Odominator
06-14-2012, 02:06 AM
You 18 year olds that are posting are ****ing retards if you think today's players could compete. Dream Team 95-42 against the guys of today. Sorry but the concept of playing good Defense in today's NBA is taking a charge. Most of the guys wouldn't know what to do if the league were defensive minded. Look what happened after Jordan retired. Only a handful of players could score through good Defense.

Sadly todays generation is caught up with outrageous athleticism and lack of basketball fundamentals. Therefore, Redeem Team and current generation will get smashed by the Dream Team.

ThunderousDemon
06-14-2012, 02:07 AM
LOL he rips on Barkley and Malone for being ringless then sucks Lebrons nuts 2 seconds later. what a stupid *** argument

He's a ***********************.

Odominator
06-14-2012, 02:09 AM
You guys are bugggin'. If there was a squad like the '08 Spanish team in existence in '92 they would not be known as the DREAM TEAM. They were balling against international squads that would probably lose to some High School teams back then.

The reason why the Dream Team was assembled was because the international scene was catching up to our collegiate level athletes, which finished with a Bronze in the prior olympic games.

Chronz
06-14-2012, 02:09 AM
If Dream Team puts out its best lineup rather than trying to play the old guys they can win. They own this generations bigs, when you have guys like D-Rob and Ewing anchoring the paint you can get by with having Magic suck at defending quickness.

Becks2307
06-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Pippen would have given lebron hell, more so than any current player in the NBA. and Kobe was not trying to see Jordan on him.

yojoe792
06-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Absolutely not. Where doesn't the Dream Team match up???? You're telling me David Robinson and Patrick Ewing wouldn't be dominant centers in today's game? You're telling me Chris Paul would outplay Magic Johnson?? Take a look at Magic Johnson videos on Youtube and tell me he wouldn't outplay the crap out of CP3.

Michael Jordan? Is Kobe or Lebron gonna completely shut him down?

Sure, they'd have a little trouble with the athleticism of guys like Rose and Lebron, but they've got some of the best defenders of all-time on that team. To say they'd get destroyed is turrible.

ZebraCity916
06-14-2012, 02:14 AM
:laugh:

What a joke!!!

This guy will never have credibility in my book!!!

mdm692
06-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Obviously if they are playing under todays rules then yeah. If it's the 90's rules everybody on todays roster would be too worried flopping and crying while barkely and malone throw elbows and punches left and right. The only players from today who can hang with the 90's players are nash, kobe, kd and kg everybody else would be too worried about that whistle.

Chronz
06-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Absolutely not. Where doesn't the Dream Team match up???? You're telling me David Robinson and Patrick Ewing wouldn't be dominant centers in today's game? You're telling me Chris Paul would outplay Magic Johnson?? Take a look at Magic Johnson videos on Youtube and tell me he wouldn't outplay the crap out of CP3.

Michael Jordan? Is Kobe or Lebron gonna completely shut him down?

Sure, they'd have a little trouble with the athleticism of guys like Rose and Lebron, but they've got some of the best defenders of all-time on that team. To say they'd get destroyed is turrible.

You sound like youve never seen Magic get abused by smaller PG's. I dont think an older Magic would outplay the crap out of CP3, he may outplay him but your exaggerating. The real difference would be in the bigman department.

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 02:22 AM
The reason why the Dream Team was assembled was because the international scene was catching up to our collegiate level athletes, which finished with a Bronze in the prior olympic games.

Are you really comparing the international basketball scene in '92 to what it is today?

Raps18-19 Champ
06-14-2012, 02:22 AM
I wouldn't sad badly. But the Dream Team's main players were of older age compared to the prime players the Redeem team has. Can Magic, Bird and Jordan in their 30's keep up with Lebron, Durant and Wade? I think I'd be close with a lot of leeway for either side, but I can see why one would argue a bigger edge in the comparison.

Odominator
06-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Are you really comparing the international basketball scene in '92 to what it is today?

Nope, but saying that the international competition was no better than our high school level athletes is absurd. If this is your only argument that the Redeem Team can beat the Dream team, then you are in trouble.

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 02:27 AM
If Dream Team puts out its best lineup rather than trying to play the old guys they can win. They own this generations bigs, when you have guys like D-Rob and Ewing anchoring the paint you can get by with having Magic suck at defending quickness.
At worse the defensive ability of Dwight and Chandler would neutralize D-Rob and Ewing. And the dream team did not play thru either of those guys so it's irrelevant. And was someone actually saying that the '92 version of Magic is outplaying CP3? In what world is that matchup happening? You realize that Isiah used to kill Magic? Imagine what guys like Rose, CP3, Westbrook could do.

cubfan23
06-14-2012, 02:29 AM
haha this was funny...only way todays team would win is if they had todays refs calling the game because they ***** and moan about every call and would get it. If the refs from when real basketball was played (90's) then they would get blown out even more...The one thing I would ask tho is who would guard Durant?

cubfan23
06-14-2012, 02:31 AM
Obviously if they are playing under todays rules then yeah. If it's the 90's rules everybody on todays roster would be too worried flopping and crying while barkely and malone throw elbows and punches left and right. The only players from today who can hang with the 90's players are nash, kobe, kd and kg everybody else would be too worried about that whistle.

Rose?

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Nope, but saying that the international competition was no better than our high school level athletes is absurd. If this is your only argument that the Redeem Team can beat the Dream team, then you are in trouble.

In trouble how? It's fact the international scene is a billion times better now than it was then and that goes for the national scene as well. College scouts say all the time now the depth and level of talent in the states is like it never was before.

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 02:35 AM
The one thing I would ask tho is who would guard Durant?

Better question is who is guarding Rose?? Stockton? Magic?

Odominator
06-14-2012, 02:36 AM
In trouble how? It's fact the international scene is a billion times better now than it was then and that goes for the national scene as well. College scouts say all the time now the depth and level of talent in the states is like it never was before.

So:

Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol
Rudy Fernandez
Ricky Rubio
Jose Calderon

is a "biillion times" better than

Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
David Robinson

Really? Maybe these scouts your talking about have, like you, forgotten the level of talent that existed in the NBA in the late 80s and early 90s. I, for one, would gladly take the athleticism and skill of basketball during those era than just pure athleticism of the current era.

topdog
06-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Redeem may be faster and more athletic, but Dream is more skilled and balanced. The Dream Team gets a bit overblown, but I do think they could beat the Redeem Team.

waveycrockett
06-14-2012, 02:41 AM
So:

Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol
Rudy Fernandez
Ricky Rubio
Jose Calderon

is a "biillion times" better than

Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
David Robinson

Really? Maybe these scouts your talking about have, like you, forgotten the level of talent that existed in the NBA in the late 80s and early 90s. I, for one, would gladly take the athleticism and skill of basketball during those era than just pure athleticism of the current era.

Where is your reading comprehension? Seriously? I said the international scene today is a billion times better.

Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol
Rudy Fernandez
Ricky Rubio
Jose Calderon

is a BILLION times better than

whoever the hell played for Spain in '92

smood999
06-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Some of you guys are really underestimating the athleticism/size advantage. Today's players are bigger, faster, stronger and just more athletic at each position. To ignore that there wouldn't be mismatches or that there are players in today's game that are unlike anything throughout NBA history is ridiculous.

There's never been a player like LeBron at his size and the things he can do...you can even go to KG when he came out of high school and say he changed the PF position. There weren't really any 6'11 perimeter players like Durant back then....and I haven't even mentioned the new age PG's...you think Magic/Stockton could guard Rose or Westbrook?

There are two clear advantages that the Dream Team would have...1) Michael Jordan 2) their bigs (centers)...other than that it's one big mismatch for the Dream Team and it's not cause the players now are just bigger and more athletic..they do have the skill to go along with it.

Think of the NFL...players are bigger faster stronger now than ever before...no one would think it would be far-fetched that if we could go back into time players now would be a whole different beast than what players back then had to go against. The same for the NBA...some were quick to insist that Pippen would be able to guard LeBron. Well, did Pippen ever have to go against anyone like LeBron? Think about the SF position in the 90's and how it's evolved since...

It's not that this generation has better players...it's more past generations didn't have to deal with this combination of skill size and athleticism. It's not crazy to think that the players now would win. I don't think it would be domination like Palmer insists...but if they were to play 10 games I'd have to bet on these new guys winning 6-4...and yes I am old enough to have watched the Dream Team members play..

BigEric
06-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Even though its impossible id love to see all the 90s guys in their primes vs todays talent (in their primes too).

Pg-Lebron vs Magic
Sg- Kobe vs Jordan
Sf- Durant vs Pippen
Pf- Duncan vs Bird
C- Howard vs Hakeem

Benches- Stockton vs Nash
Drexler vs Wade
Barkley vs Carmelo
Mullin vs McGrady
David Robinson vs Garnett
Ewing vs Bynum
Reggie vs Ray Allen
Isiah Thomas vs Paul
Richmond vs Pierce
Kemp vs Griffin
Dominique vs Vince

I can go on and on with the comparisons. I mean the second post was spot on. You'd NEVER know the outcome for obvious reasons. I don't think a prime Jordan or Lebron can be stopped. Jordan for the obvious reasons... he's Jordan. Lebron (as much turmoil surrounds him) is just ******** physically. 6'8" 250 isn't supposed to do what he does. It'd be a GREAT game.

MagicBucsSox
06-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Lmao I'd love to see Stockton guard rose/Russ/cp3/rondo/deron. Today's players would crush the and Im29, I saw that dream team.

Just like that '92 team would crush Olympians before them

Odominator
06-14-2012, 03:02 AM
Where is your reading comprehension? Seriously? I said the international scene today is a billion times better.

Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol
Rudy Fernandez
Ricky Rubio
Jose Calderon

is a BILLION times better than

whoever the hell played for Spain in '92

No, I understand you, but by saying the current international game is a billion times better is just as good as saying that this Spanish squad, who is seen by many as the best international team outside of the U.S., can give the Dream Team competition.

That is absolutely absurd. Most of your arguments have been so grossly exaggerated that it makes you sound like you have never seen the actual Dream Team play. I am pretty sure you just watched that NBA TV special and have subsequently jumped on these boards to make claim that the Dream Team cannot hold a candle to your beloved Redeem Team.

My only advice for you is read the consensus building in this thread, sounds to me like you are one of the very very few people here, among many pre- adolescent teens, who actually believe that the Redeem team, or even the current best international team, can defeat the Dream Team.

Odominator
06-14-2012, 03:06 AM
Some of you guys are really underestimating the athleticism/size advantage. Today's players are bigger, faster, stronger and just more athletic at each position. To ignore that there wouldn't be mismatches or that there are players in today's game that are unlike anything throughout NBA history is ridiculous.

There's never been a player like LeBron at his size and the things he can do...you can even go to KG when he came out of high school and say he changed the PF position. There weren't really any 6'11 perimeter players like Durant back then....and I haven't even mentioned the new age PG's...you think Magic/Stockton could guard Rose or Westbrook?

There are two clear advantages that the Dream Team would have...1) Michael Jordan 2) their bigs (centers)...other than that it's one big mismatch for the Dream Team and it's not cause the players now are just bigger and more athletic..they do have the skill to go along with it.

Think of the NFL...players are bigger faster stronger now than ever before...no one would think it would be far-fetched that if we could go back into time players now would be a whole different beast than what players back then had to go against. The same for the NBA...some were quick to insist that Pippen would be able to guard LeBron. Well, did Pippen ever have to go against anyone like LeBron? Think about the SF position in the 90's and how it's evolved since...

It's not that this generation has better players...it's more past generations didn't have to deal with this combination of skill size and athleticism. It's not crazy to think that the players now would win. I don't think it would be domination like Palmer insists...but if they were to play 10 games I'd have to bet on these new guys winning 6-4...and yes I am old enough to have watched the Dream Team members play..

I agree, their disadvantage would be at their speed, size, and athleticism. I mean, 20 years of improved sports medicine, physical training and therapy will create sculpted beasts like we have in todays sports.

However, the huge disadvantage in the game today is the overwhelming reliance on those same athletic abilities and less skill as basketball players. How many freaks we have seen got drafted only to become complete one-dimensional busts in the NBA today?

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-14-2012, 03:06 AM
Our bigs of today like Howard and Bosh would get mentally outta whack if they were being punked by guys like Sir Charles, Ewing, The Admiral and the Mailman. That's the truth.

Prime MJ > Prime Kobe and Pippen would make LeBron shoot jump shots all day (LeBron's weakness). Durant would give Pippen some fits defensively.

The PGs of today would be stellar, but they would have to work hard on the defensive end in the open court and in the halfcourt with Magic and his bulletpasses.

Because of the PF and C spots, and because Magic and Stockton would school the PGs of today and just make them look laughable, I give the edge to the Original Dream Team.

The 2 and 3 spots are a wash.

Showtime Steve
06-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Valid....but a bit unfair with respect to the elders. Level of competition was easier back then. But its apples to oranges. Eventually there will be a team better than the "redeem team" by his points. So just respect what it is indvidually and enjoy it.

Trace
06-14-2012, 03:21 AM
???
Stockton wasn't a bad defender. It's not like Rose, Westbrook and co. would absolutely tear him apart and if so, there's always Robinson and Ewing patrolling the paint.

MJ/Pippen were just as athletic if not more athletic than the elite players of today.

Barkley in his prime was VERY athletic. Although I could see KG/Duncan giving Barkley and Malone trouble with their length.

David Robinson and Ewing would absolutely destroy Chandler and Howard.

The only position where they actually stand a chance is PF. Stockton and Magic's creativity along with their superior bigs and MJ/Pippen as wings would absolutely demolish any current team USA roster.

majmarcus
06-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Pippen would have given lebron hell, more so than any current player in the NBA. and Kobe was not trying to see Jordan on him.

Man, u act like Kobe dont even belong on the same floor with 23 & would *****up about the challenge. Regardless of who would get the best of. They both would go hard at eachother. Smh...

Trace
06-14-2012, 03:25 AM

If Stockton can hold his ground against Isiah Thomas and Kevin Johnson, I'm sure he can handle Westbrook/Rose.

BoomDizzle33
So rose and westbrook can contain a 6'9" pg and one of the greatest facilitators of all time. The youths speed would be handled with size n man strength...oh yea n I almost forgot Michael effin Jordan.

MJ-BULLS
Our bigs of today like Howard and Bosh would get mentally outta whack if they were being punked by guys like Sir Charles, Ewing, The Admiral and the Mailman. That's the truth.

Prime MJ > Prime Kobe and Pippen would make LeBron shoot jump shots all day (LeBron's weakness). Durant would give Pippen some fits defensively.

The PGs of today would be stellar, but they would have to work hard on the defensive end in the open court and in the halfcourt with Magic and his bulletpasses.

Because of the PF and C spots, and because Magic and Stockton would school the PGs of today and just make them look laughable, I give the edge to the Original Dream Team.

good post. im taking the dream team.

BoomDizzle33
06-14-2012, 03:27 AM
If Stockton can hold his ground against Isiah Thomas and Kevin Johnson, I'm sure he can handle Westbrook/Rose.

Truth

Patman
06-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Todays PGs would run circles around Magic at this state in his career.

It all depends if the Dream Team would play Bird and Magic for extended Minutes, yes they were amazing players but both were close to retirement and would get burned by the speed of their opponents. It would probably be a pretty competitive game.

I'm not a big fan of ranking players from different Eras, because the game changed so much over the years.

Trace
06-14-2012, 03:35 AM
The only constant is Mike K, so at least we have that. lol

We also have players who were also fortunate enough to play in later generations so we can sort of base their performances relative to the current generation of players.

ex. Duncan absolutely wrecking Malone in his rookie season.

BoomDizzle33
06-14-2012, 03:37 AM
[QUOTE=Patman;22522269]Todays PGs would run circles around Magic at this state in his career.

It all depends if the Dream Team would play Bird and Magic for extended Minutes, yes they were amazing players but both were close to retirement and would get burned by the speed of their opponents. It would probably be a pretty competitive game.

I'm not a big fan of ranking players from different Eras, because the game changed so much over the years.[/QUOTE

So those super fast collapse a defense point guards can handle someone posting them up with at least six inches on them...with Impeccable passing skills. Magic would handle his own n more. Especially with DRob holding the paint down.

knickfan33
06-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Dumbest thing i have ever heard....
It wouldn't even be a game, the toughness and desire of th players from the dream team alone, would win that game....

I cant believe there are people out there that think a team that consist of mj, stockton, bird, barkley, d.robinson, ewing, magic, malone, drexler, mullen and laetner would lose to a group of these soft *** babied athletes we have today.

Chris palmer you have officially REPLACED brousiard as the dumbest analyst ever.

AKA TheMamba
06-14-2012, 04:11 AM
in one word... NO!!!! Just trying to draw Buzz....

SirSkyHook
06-14-2012, 04:11 AM
20 years from now people will say the exact same thing about these guy.

Lol, this is so true. Every generations gets faster and stronger and taller. Look who's in the finals now a 6'9" 260lbs combo guard posing as a small forward and a 6'10"/6'11" legit great shooting guard lol what?!?!?

thenaj17
06-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Anyone completely dismissing todays players needs their brains checking and likewise if they think the Dream Team would get destroyed. Both teams have different qualities.

I'm pretty sure once upon a time, athletes didn't think 100m would ever be run in under 10s. Then when Carl Lewis had the world record, that wasn't going to be beaten. Now look at it under 9.7s. That's just nature.

The only difference is that 100m sprint is tangible evidence and cannot be warped by personal opinion or bias.

Eg714
06-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Dwight
Lebron
Durant
Kobe
Paul

I think that team would give the dream team a run for there money.

smood999
06-14-2012, 05:30 AM

Isiah was quick...these guys are quick as well, bigger and more explosive...do you not see where the mismatch is? They could get by him and overpower him.....Isiah wasn't overpowering anyone neither was KJ and neither had that explosiveness...so it's exactly like is said...the Dream Team players never faced players with the size and athleticism like the players of today...it's a different beast

rocket
06-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Man can you predict the future? Don't ****ing act like you know what the outcome of the game would be like.

smood999
06-14-2012, 06:33 AM
The only constant is Mike K, so at least we have that. lol

We also have players who were also fortunate enough to play in later generations so we can sort of base their performances relative to the current generation of players.

ex. Duncan absolutely wrecking Malone in his rookie season.

exactly..how many 7 footers were able to play the PF position then? that led to Amare coming in and giving Duncan all he can handle during those playoff matchups...it doesn't necessarily mean better (Duncan>Malone however)...just problematic (ie. Duncan Amare)..idk why people can't wrap their heads around it...

who could stay in front of Iverson when he came in? But these guys had to deal with Isiah..right? Iverson was more athletic that Isiah ever was...that's the difference...and Iverson's crop of guards (Marbury, Francis, Davis) has evolved into the PG's we have today (Westbrook, Rose, Wall)...how wouldn't that create problems for the Dream Team guys? Now we're strictly limiting it to the best as well...even Rondo (he has freakish length) would give them issues...it's all mismatch advantages that go to today's players...

we say it every other game today...this team is too fast, too athletic, too big...why can't the same be said going against the Dream Team? It is in no way a slight to how great the Dream Team members were...

Athleticism and size are also one of the biggest knocks on foreign players and great college players transitioning to the NBA...it's almost the first thing that gets questioned no matter how skilled the player...can they keep up? Will they be over matched? etc...it's the nature of the game and sports in general and the athletes of today for the most part are always better than the athletes of yesterday...

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 08:17 AM
I disagree with Palmer on this one, big time.

Becks2307
06-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Man, u act like Kobe dont even belong on the same floor with 23 & would *****up about the challenge. Regardless of who would get the best of. They both would go hard at eachother. Smh...

It says "Todays players"

If you are talking about a 2012 Kobe vs a 1992 Jordan - there is no competition.

theheatles
06-14-2012, 08:28 AM
this chris palmer guy tells it like it is, and the best part is he is absolutely right

NYKnicks4511
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Really? Do people remember how fast and quick Sir Charles was back in 92? Easy for people to say this now looking back 20 years and forgetting how skilled and athletic the Dream Team was.

Palmer is a BON-A-FIDE idiot.

Palmer is ********, the Dream Team had Ewing who would destroy Dwight in the post, and Robinson who was a beast back in the day coming off the bench with Stockton and Malone running the greatest PnR of all time. Magic and Jordan are simply the greatest 1 and 2 of all time, and Pippen would terrorize LeBron on the perimeter with his length. What a joke of an 'analyst'. The Dream Team would win this matchup handily, although there is simply no point to compare the eras.

ewing
06-14-2012, 09:06 AM
He's 100% correct I love MJ but he's litterally the only player who belongs on the same court with the great players of today. It's like comparing terminator models lol.

Ewing and Robinson would be the 2 best centers in the NBA, Magic was a 6'10 pure PG, and Scottie was the same type of super versitle defender that Bron is. Scottie and Micheal could check Zeke. This guy acts like in 20 years human developement has made it so Russel Westbrook makes Isiah look like Dereck Fisher. Its not true. Its just stupid

In reality the talent pool in the NBA is FINALLY starting to look like what it once was and thats a very good thing.

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
this chris palmer guy tells it like it is, and the best part is he is absolutely right

LeBron nut hugging reaches new levels of insanity. They are bigger (wider) today but who says the 1992 guys would not be bigger too? Fact is the 1992 guys all are HOF players. They even left off the second best PG ever in Isaiah Thomas.

The other fact is those player knew how to play. They were all smarter players for the most part. They also had better fundamentals starting with Free Throw Shooting.

And to the kids who sit around thinking Chris Palmer is right let me put it this way "the best player of your generation" (LeBron) is not even the best player in any of his own NBA Finals appearances.

Palmer is simply nut hugging today's under 30 crowd with what they want to hear but fact is the actual floor product in worse today than in 1992. Chalk it up to AAU mentality, poor coaching, coddling from a young age, and not playing college ball.

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
This is like the guys who say "never been a player like Durant."

Yet I can name a few who are very similar starting with Dominique Wilkins.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 09:21 AM
LeBron nut hugging reaches new levels of insanity. They are bigger (wider) today but who says the 1992 guys would not be bigger too? Fact is the 1992 guys all are HOF players. They even left off the second best PG ever in Isaiah Thomas.
The other fact is those player knew how to play. They were all smarter players for the most part. They also had better fundamentals starting with Free Throw Shooting.

And to the kids who sit around thinking Chris Palmer is right let me put it this way "the best player of your generation" (LeBron) is not even the best player in any of his own NBA Finals appearances.

Palmer is simply nut hugging today's under 30 crowd with what they want to hear but fact is the actual floor product in worse today than in 1992. Chalk it up to AAU mentality, poor coaching, coddling from a young age, and not playing college ball.

rhetorical question, but you have to be joking?

Also, your pure hatred of LeBron has made you so transparent. Never let hatred for a player completely skew how you evaluate.

Robbw241
06-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't think it would be a blow out either way, actually a really good game

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
rhetorical question, but you have to be joking?

Also, your pure hatred of LeBron has made you so transparent. Never let hatred for a player completely skew how you evaluate.

So who was a better PG than Isaiah? Put aside Magic.

And in terms of blind, none more than you and those bad PER stats.

effen5
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Redeem team and it's not even close. First the redeem team was a lot more physical than these players in this era, this would get so frustrated because the redeem team unlike this era plays hard nose defense. Two, this era might be more athletic but they really lack fundamentals. Three, Michael Jordan.

justinnum1
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
palmer is an idiot, he said something even dumber like 2 weeks ago but i forget

effen5
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM

Stockton

JordansBulls
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
So the Dream Team who had Magic not playing the year and Bird with a bad back is going to lose to today's players who have Rose with a torn ACL and Dwight who has back surgery? And lose to old *** Duncan and Garnett??

And if you say Duncan and Garnett are in there primes then you gotta do the same for the Dream Team and have Bird in his prime.

ManRam
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't think it's at all crazy to suggest that a team of today's best could hang with a team of that era's best. I think saying that they'd win with such conviction is just his attempt to be Skip Bayless. Chris Palmer is a hack. His tweets are so incredibly stupid. The idea of this isn't bad, what's bad is how he went about "arguing" it. He went for the shock factor over the intelligence factor.

JordansBulls
06-14-2012, 09:29 AM

So why is Dwight the only big size player in the league while the 90's had tons if the guys today are bigger, faster and stronger?

RowBTrice
06-14-2012, 09:31 AM
I disagree. Jordan would not allow the Dream Team to lose to anyone. Guarantee it.

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't think it would be a blow out either way, actually a really good game

I agree but if a series, 1992 team would probably win in 6. I laugh at the today's guys would run the 1992 team off the court.

Looking at Miami play transition D (or any other team today), I could see Magic Johnson with 35 assists and Barkley/Jordan with 10 dunks apiece. Or Karl Malone who could really run in the open court too. Or Clyde.

LOL, they also left Hakeem off that team along with Isaiah. And Hakeem was better than Patrick or the Admiral. Seriously, Palmer is a first class ******** troll for that tweet.

Just watching Westbrook try to finish a dunk in the open court ad I cringed at the footwork. Clyde Drexler flushes it. And Westbrook is a great athlete.

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Stockton

Stockton was not better than Isaiah. No f'ing way. Love John but not even close.

dodie53
06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
92 dream team >>>>>>

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:39 AM
So the Dream Team who had Magic not playing the year and Bird with a bad back is going to lose to today's players who have Rose with a torn ACL and Dwight who has back surgery? And lose to old *** Duncan and Garnett??

And if you say Duncan and Garnett are in there primes then you gotta do the same for the Dream Team and have Bird in his prime.

They are insane to think so.

Only match up advantage I could see if Tim Duncan in his prime versus Malone or Barkely.

Ewing/Robinson better than D12 and Bynum
KG and Duncan better than Barkley and Malone
Bird / Pippen better than LeBron and Melo
Jordan / Drexler / Mullin>>>>>>>>>> Kobe and Wade and whoever
Magic >>>>>>>>>> Rose or whoever plus his mother.

khaleesi
06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Magic
Oscar
Isaiah
then starting talking Stockton, Cousy and the like.

ewing
06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
This is like the guys who say "never been a player like Durant."

Yet I can name a few who are very similar starting with Dominique Wilkins.

I dont know if there ever has been a player like Durrant but all that means is that he is a great player with a unique combonation of skill and size. It hardly the first time i've seen a player that is rare and who u might not see another like for a while. I still haven't seen another Magic

kntresistheheat
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Is this guy serious? The dream team would murder these players of today! The dream team had a higher IQ, Team ball, passes the ball, aggressive defense, speed, and the will to win!

aztr0
06-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Who is Chris Palmer?

Fever45
06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
I completely disagree. I think if you have the DT with the calls they have in today's game, it would be a potential blow out. Could you imagine guys like Jordan going to the line as frequently as it happens these days?

dh144498
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
:facepalm: does anyone even take this guy seriously? :shrug:

Lo Porto
06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I think players of today are better than players of the past, but that Dream Team was a special mix of special talents.

-Karl Malone was a player that could play in any era. He never played above the rim, but he could run the floor, had KG type range, could rebound as well as anybody, etc. Same with Barkley.
-Stockton would excel in any era because he could pass like Rondo, faster than most and hit any open shot.
-Magic was a beast who probably would have played SG against guys in this era though.
- Jordan is a top 5 player all time. He wouldn't be as dominant today, but he'd still be great.
- Pippen, according to Phil Jackson, is the best perimeter defender of all time. That would translate.
- There's always a place for a guy like Bird. Did you not see Dirk last season?
- Ewing and Robinson were big, could rebound and had range. Their shooting would get Howard out of the lane.
- Mullin would hurt because his athleticism, but his shooting would be used. If Mike Miller can get time on the Heat, how wouldn't a much better Chris Mullin play for a Dream Team as a shooter?
- Drexler would still be a good player by today's standards.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 11:04 AM

And in terms of blind, none more than you and those bad PER stats.

Magic
Stockton
Oscar
Nash

Paul will pass him possibly

You don't possess the knowledge to combat advanced stats, so I have stopped caring about your opinions regarding them. You should know that by now.

I still think it's funny that some are so upset Thomas was left off the team. Besides the fact that he royally pissed off MJ/Bird/Magic at that point, there were clearly 2 better PG's available.

ewing
06-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I think everyone should be happy that the talent pool in the NBA is finally starting to catch up to where it once was. That said its still hasnt reached the golden era.

I think its time disspell some of the myths u youngsters are swallowing.

First todays players are bigger. Let look at this by position

PG Magic.... no one is bigger.

SG Micheal and Cylde 6'6 and 6'7 again bigger or as big as Kobe and anyone else you can find at the 2 unless you move KD there

SF Scottie and Bird 6'8 and 6'10- again your not much getting bigger at the SF

PF Malone and Chuck 6'9 and made of cement and 6'4 . Well chuck is undersized

Center Pat and D Rob

OK so they are not smaller. If anything they are bigger!

OK so they must not be athletic enough

Again let look at it by spot

PG Magic and Stockton definately have a speed disadvantage (sometimes the best PG in the league isnt the fastest.... i also remember KJ and Isiah and they are comparable to the roses and westbrooks). Still the top PGs of today are definately faster then the Dream teams PGs.

SG Micheal and Cylde are more athletic then any combonation of elite 2 guards in todays league

SF Scottie and Larry- they are not as athletic as LBJ and Durrant

PF Malone and Chuck are more athletic any combonation of elite PFs in todays league. Btw Shawn Kemp was just starting to come into his own arround this time as well. Blake is the only PF in the league that has Kemp/Barkley type athletism.

C Ewing and D Rob- D12 is a great athlete but the center position pales in every regard to what it was in that era.

Elite players today on the whole are neither bigger nor more athletic then they are were in 1992

The fact that KD is 6'11 and can play the 2 doesnt change that. Magic was 6'10 a pure PG. The fact that LBJ is a total freak doesnt change that. So was chuck. Those guys are anomalies in every era of basketball that has existed to date

ewing
06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Magic
Stockton
Oscar
Nash

Paul will pass him possibly

You don't possess the knowledge to combat advanced stats, so I have stopped caring about your opinions regarding them. You should know that by now.

I still think it's funny that some are so upset Thomas was left off the team. Besides the fact that he royally pissed off MJ/Bird/Magic at that point, there were clearly 2 better PG's available.

Its agruable that there were 2 better PGs. Some might have even said KJ was right there with the guys who werent Magic. Still the dream team was an honor. When there was a question the right thing to do was give the spot to the player with the best pedigree. if it werent for Isiah's being an ******* i think his titles should have made him the choice.

fadedmario
06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
This guy is CRAZY. Players of today are as soft as kittens.

IndyRealist
06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Sigh, in the 90's teams were actually allowed to play defense, and foul hard. NBA players these days are cupcakes by comparison. MJ would average 50ppg in today's NBA. Can you imagine trying to guard Magic without handchecking?

It's a silly argument that gets replayed every few years by so-called "journalists" trying to get exposure.

BullySixChicago
06-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Not disparaging the Dream Team. They changed basketball by globalizing the game. But they would lose today.

OK, KG and Timmy, you can play too. Need you to guard the ringless Barkley and Malone.

The advancements in skill and athleticism can't be ignored. Too much for '92 to overcome.

Dream Team can't guard speed. And there's no Easter Bunny. Sorry you're finding out like this.

Dream Team had lots of subpar defenders: Mullin, Bird (back), Drexler, Laettner.

Check your milk it has something in it

KingPosey
06-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Hahaha players today would get lit the **** up by those players, no doubt in my mind.

MadBomber
06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
92 Dream Team....All day, everyday!

KingPosey
06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Just with Clyde, Jordan, Malone, Pippen, and D Rob you can see players arent more athletic or bigger. Those guys were all freak bodies that easily hold up with players today.

Also.... Jordan. End of argument.

MadBomber
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM

As Rick James would say "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"

Kobe2324
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
crazy talk! dream team would beat any team now, only dif would be margin of victory maybe a little less but thats about it.

pd1dish
06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
if they were in this era of basketball (or athletics in general) and had all the technological advances in how players train and use supplements, then they would have been even more amazing.

and would it be played by old rules or new rules? that would be the big difference. if there was no hand-check foul, then guys like Wade and Rose, who are small guys that fly at the rim with no regard for their bodies, would have no chance. also, the bigs back then would plant you on your *** for coming into the paint, and there was no flagrant foul...it was a personal foul. even a guy like Rondo would struggle because he takes advantage of his quickness to penetrate the D and then make a pass. if he cant get past his defender, then no need for help defense, and no open guy. i think the physicality that this generation of players lacks would hurt them.

however, if it were to be played under the current rules, then i think the current players would win. the hand-check rule would allow all these physical specimens get the basket at will against the Dream Team. plus, any real toughness shown gets you T'd up

Oldmantrash
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM

It embarrasses me that you are a Nets fan.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Chronz
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
At worse the defensive ability of Dwight and Chandler would neutralize D-Rob and Ewing. And the dream team did not play thru either of those guys so it's irrelevant. And was someone actually saying that the '92 version of Magic is outplaying CP3? In what world is that matchup happening? You realize that Isiah used to kill Magic? Imagine what guys like Rose, CP3, Westbrook could do.
How can Tyson Chandler neutralize either of those bigs when A) he wasnt as good defensively, B) wasnt anywhere near them offensively?
'

blastmasta26
06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
In all honesty, trying to compare different generations is completely pointless. He makes valid points, but again, it's pointless.
This.

KingPosey
06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
The gap isnt even great enough to really point at huge physical gains. Guys that played in the ****ing mid to late 90s are pretty contemporary.

Da Knicks
06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
The dream team would go zone on redeem team so for the redeem team to have a chance to win the lineup would have to be-

pg. Williams
sg. Bryant
sf. Durant
pf. Melo
c. Howard

Im pretty sure we will see this lineup alot these olympics, with Chandler being the center since Howard wont play. No illegal defense would be the key factor since redeem team has too many players with shaky mid-range jumpers...

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Its agruable that there were 2 better PGs. Some might have even said KJ was right there with the guys who werent Magic. Still the dream team was an honor. When there was a question the right thing to do was give the spot to the player with the best pedigree. if it werent for Isiah's being an ******* i think his titles should have made him the choice.

yes, his history would have gotten him on, like it did Bird (much better player, but he was not the legendary Bird in 1992), but with Stockton taking over his spot as #2 behind Magic, and Stockton being a much better passer and a better 3 point shooter, there was no need for Thomas and his antics. His game was not good enough to overlook his actions and words.

fadedmario
06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
yes, his history would have gotten him on, like it did Bird (much better player, but he was not the legendary Bird in 1992), but with Stockton taking over his spot as #2 behind Magic, and Stockton being a much better passer and a better 3 point shooter, there was no need for Thomas and his antics. His game was not good enough to overlook his actions and words.

:yawn: - Let it go.

YoungOne
06-14-2012, 11:59 AM
the athleticism may be better, but I dont think the skill level is better.

jp611
06-14-2012, 11:59 AM
This guy is really an idiot

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
The level of ignorance in this thread is astounding :laugh2:

rapjuicer06
06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Dream team would win. Dwight Howard is a PF back in 92' and he'd be the teams best Center. Robinson and Ewing would making Dwight their *****. Hell, Malone with make Dwight his *****. Barkley is the only player that is undersized/out matched on the team, but he was sooooo damn athletic and had a very high bball IQ as well for how stupid he is.

Rose/Westbrook have problems when they go up against shot blockers standing in the paint (Dwight Howard)...now get D-Rob and Ewing in there, those two are going to struggle and Magic isn't going to have to play as hard since Rose and Westbrook aren't very good shooters. Magic would KILL Rose and Westbrook on the offensive end of the ball, and if they were to switch it up and put Lebron on Magic...then well you still have a huge mismatch on Pippen.

Lebron struggles against the undersized Iggy. What's he going to do against the best perimeter defender of all time? Whats Kobe going to do against Jordan?

The Redeem Team wouldn't know how to score, and if you can't score, you can't win. They are the superior athletes, but the Dream Team is the FAR superior defenders and shooters.

In the end, the difference in Bigs is too much and the Dream Team would walk all over the Redeem team.

2 true facilitators (Magic, Stockton), 2 true centers (D-Rob, Ewing), 6 true defenders (Jordan, Pippen, Malone, D-Rob, Ewing, Barkley)...and the greatest player of all time JORDAN

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM

his points are terrible.

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
his points are terrible.

Agreed. He said who would guard KD, Rose and Westbrook when Pip and MJ are on LBJ and Kobe... what? So they are going to throw out a lineup of those 5 perimeter players or something :confused:

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
:yawn: - Let it go.

dude, you know I love you, but you need to follow your own advice. Not only did Thomas piss off a lot of people, many of which were putting that team together, he simply wasn't as good as Magic or Stockton at that point, and wasn't the right fit.

RaiderLakersA's
06-14-2012, 12:09 PM

I agree with this. Although, I also agree with Chris Palmer to some extent.

Now if you're talking about Magic and Bird both healthy and in their primes, that's another story.

Swashcuff
I am a huge Allen Iverson fan and even I can admit that speed alone isn't going to win these guys the game. That's absolutely ridiculous just as comparing eras and giving an advanced era the edge simply because of their advancements. That's beyond foolish. I mean seriously do these retards even think before the tweet? :pity:

sep11ie
What rules will they play by?

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I agree with this. Although, I also agree with Chris Palmer to some extent.

Now if you're talking about Magic and Bird both healthy and in their primes, that's another story.

What do you agree with?

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
the timing is funny as well. That was peak Jordan, against a declining Kobe and Wade.

That is bad, bad news for the youngens.

They have actual 2-way centers, and arguably the two best distributing PG's in history, to go along with all those specialists (shooting, defense).

The Dream Team would whoop the modern team.

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
What rules will they play by?

Well since he's basing everything on the advantages today's players have (athleticism and skill <<-- :crazy: ) I'm guessing they'd play by today's rules as well.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
I will say, this thread shows the average age of this site.

sammid21
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
The Dream team had competitors, but were also very disiplined and relied on a combo of fundamentals, skill, and athleticism. Nowadays players just rely on athleticism. Even with todays rules, they will still dominate. Although they will lose badly in flopping and complaining

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
the timing is funny as well. That was peak Jordan, against a declining Kobe and Wade.

That is bad, bad news for the youngens.

They have actual 2-way centers, and arguably the two best distributing PG's in history, to go along with all those specialists (shooting, defense).

The Dream Team would whoop the modern team.

But but but Hawkeye15 today's players are so much faster than those players on the dream team. They would absolutely run circles around them right?

rapjuicer06
06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
But but but Hawkeye15 today's players are so much faster than those players on the dream team. They would absolutely run circles around them right?

They can run cirlces all they want, they still wouldn't be able to put the ball in the hoop. Having a team with one shooter in Durant and everyone else is slashers and drivers...that leads to one crowded paint area protected by two outstanding defensive centers

TheWhiteMamba
06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Palmer is such a joke. The Dream would have no problems beating the best starting 5 of today in no more then 5 games if it were a best of 7. Someone please tell me how Rose or Westbrook is gonna guard Magic? Hell even the Dream Team's bench would give a fight to the young guys today.

BUCSFORLIFE123
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
obviously skills and athleticism evolve over time, whos gonna argue that babe ruth was actually better than albert pujols talent wise?

the fact is the dream team was a lot more dominant than 08s and soon to be this years olympic team , theres no denying that

Purple&Gold24
06-14-2012, 01:19 PM
lol this is actually true and i actually agree with this dude for once....
sorry fellas....but its true.

TheWhiteMamba
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Also who would back up Dwight, Bynum? Lol. Barkley would slap him and make him quit.

fadedmario
06-14-2012, 01:39 PM

I'm right there with you. I grew up in the 1980's. - I remember when Jordan was a rookie.

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I have a question to all who say the Dream team would lose.. lets say for hypothetical reasons we flip the switch. Take today's players and place them in the 80s but take away the advantages of their superior athletic ability and place those players in today's league and give them the superior athleticism.

Basically what I'm saying is take away Rose's and Westbrook's supreme speed and athleticism and give it to Magic who would win?

If you change your answer can you not see how baseless such a reasoning is? There is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more to the game of basketball than just athleticism.

TmacBryant
06-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I think the Dream Team would win, but the Redeem Team could have a punchers chance.

I think the only players that would be effective would be Kobe, KG, Durant, and maybe D rose.

The reason I add Rose in there is because I really don't know if Magic could completely stop D rose, on the other hand I know for sure D rose would not be able to contain Magic on defense at all.

BKLYNpigeon
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
of course he would say that.

If Chris Palmer said the dream team would beat the redeem team would you guys even care or would be blogging about it?

BKLYNpigeon
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
The Dream Team would lose unless they had Isiah Thomas. lol.

mdm692
06-14-2012, 01:59 PM

No it shows the incompetence and lack of knowledge. Im 22 and started watching bball in the early 2000's and even I know todays stars couldn't stand a chance. Few of todays stars would actually try to compete instead of argue with the ref all game. I can see a line up of nash, kobe, rose, kg and kd actually try to focus on competing as opposed to focusing on the refs. Other than that though the dream team will eat the redeem and dream team 2.

jaizari06
06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
So what happens if BOTH teams are in their primes??? DREAM TEAM BLOWOUT

MJ-BULLS
06-14-2012, 02:10 PM

great post hawk.

ewing
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I have a question to all who say the Dream team would lose.. lets say for hypothetical reasons we flip the switch. Take today's players and place them in the 80s but take away the advantages of their superior athletic ability and place those players in today's league and give them the superior athleticism.

Basically what I'm saying is take away Rose's and Westbrook's supreme speed and athleticism and give it to Magic who would win?

If you change your answer can you not see how baseless such a reasoning is? There is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more to the game of basketball than just athleticism.

Just b/c Westbrook and Rose are way faster then Magic and Stockton doesnt mean today elite players are way more athletic. You guys are totally cherry picking match ups then applying the outcome like its something that holds true overall. It doesn't.

Pick 2 elite SGs from todays game. Guess what? Your 2 guys are not as athletic as Jordan and Cylde

Same goes at PF (Barkley, Malone, Kemp,) and i think center too (R Rob, Ewing, Dream etc).

If thats the case how are todays players soooooo superior athleticly?

MintBerryCrunch
06-14-2012, 02:13 PM
If you think the Dream Team can beat today's All-Stars.. You're living a lie haha

No. Chance.

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Just b/c Westbrook and Rose are way faster then Magic and Stockton doesnt mean today elite players are way more athletic. You guys are totally cherry picking match ups then applying the outcome like its something that holds true overall. It doesn't.

Pick 2 elite SGs from todays game. Guess what? Your 2 guys are not as athletic as Jordan and Cylde

Same goes at PF (Barkley, Malone, Kemp,) and i think center too (R Rob, Ewing, Dream etc).

If thats the case how are todays players soooooo superior athleticly?

Dude what are you talking about? Most people who chose the dream team to lose chose that because of the fact that today's players are more athletic. The only position where I actually see a sizable gap in athleticism is at the PG. No one is cherrypicking I'm going with what was said by Palmer and those that agree with him.

I think you're really confused as to what I am saying.

ewing
06-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Dude what are you talking about? Most people who chose the dream team to lose chose that because of the fact that today's players are more athletic. The only position where I actually see a sizable gap in athleticism is at the PG. No one is cherrypicking I'm going with what was said by Palmer and those that agree with him.

I think you're really confused as to what I am saying.

write what you mean then. Its not a fact that todays players are more athletic.

Anyway, i still want to know from you guys that say today guys are so much more athletic how the early 90's NBA seems to have more athletic elite players at most spots (SG, PF, and Center)?

PJAF
06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Not even close. Dream team is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better!!!!!!!!!!

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
write what you mean then. Its not a fact that todays players are more athletic.

Anyway, i still want to know from you guys that say today guys are so much more athletic how the early 90's NBA seems to have more athletic elite players at most spots (SG, PF, and Center)?

Dude it has been proven medically and scientifically that as time has gone on athletes have gotten faster and stronger. Its based on any wide number of factors and if you don't want to do your research on that compare the amount of super athletic players in the league today to any era pre 00s.

Chris Palmer SAID it in his reasons and other posters AGREED. What are you telling me about write what I mean. Its common knowledge that today's athletes have benefited greatly from the advancements in technology as it relates to health, health conservation, athletic wear etc and its a huge reason why today's athletes are seen as being more athletic.

You seem not to be able to comprehend that this isn't my argument. This is the argument of Palmer and those that defends today's players.

ChicagoJ
06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
The 90s NBA had many players far and above the players of today in terms of talent. It's not even close really.

TheNumber37
06-14-2012, 02:33 PM
He's basing it all on the ages and of injuries of the players. In that case, Rose nor Howard would be playing.
Also, he's going off the idea that they'd be play Olympic style basketball.
If both teams had ALL of their respective players in their PRIMES and HEALTHY, The Dream team would beat the redeem team in a best of 7 series.
Especially if Spolestra is coaching the redeemers.

Sinestro
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Today's players rely too much on driving to the lane, the only shooters the Redeem team has is Durant and Kobe

Chucky Woods
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM

Respect to the Dream Team. But Kobe, LeBron, Durant, Wade, Howard, CP3, Westbrook, Rondo would run them off the floor.He don't play defense.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
No it shows the incompetence and lack of knowledge. Im 22 and started watching bball in the early 2000's and even I know todays stars couldn't stand a chance. Few of todays stars would actually try to compete instead of argue with the ref all game. I can see a line up of nash, kobe, rose, kg and kd actually try to focus on competing as opposed to focusing on the refs. Other than that though the dream team will eat the redeem and dream team 2.

It's both. But most people don't bother watching sports to an educated level from before they were born. So a lot of users here have only seen highlights, or partials from the older players careers. They don't have a frame of reference.

Fact is, you are catching the GOAT in his peak, shooters galore, 2-way centers which don't exist anymore, fierce perimeter/interior defenders, and veteran experience up and down the line. It would be too much for the current team.

ewing
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Dude it has been proven medically and scientifically that as time has gone on athletes have gotten faster and stronger. Its based on any wide number of factors and if you don't want to do your research on that compare the amount of super athletic players in the league today to any era pre 00s.

Chris Palmer SAID it in his reasons and other posters AGREED. What are you telling me about write what I mean. Its common knowledge that today's athletes have benefited greatly from the advancements in technology as it relates to health, health conservation, athletic wear etc and its a huge reason why today's athletes are seen as being more athletic.

You seem not to be able to comprehend that this isn't my argument. This is the argument of Palmer and those that defends today's players.

and i'm telling you that you are wrong. I think it is defintely possible that in the past 20 years overall athletism through out the league has increased. IDK but that is not the current discussion. Also, why dont you actually compare the elite players in question athleticly instead of regurgitating non sense. Medically proven????? How they hell could it be medically proven

If you or anyone else with your opinion were to compare these players position by position i think the only conclusion you can reach is that athletism among elite NBA players has NOT change dramaticly in the 20 years. Again:

Jordan and Cylde are bigger and more athletic then Kobe and Wade

Barkley and Kemp are clearly more athletic then any top PF in the league except Blake

Dream and D Rob are clearly more athletic then any top center in the league except D12

If you agree you cant say that the current NBA stars have a big athletic advantage over NBA stars of the early 1990s. There stars are less athletic at 3 spots

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
and i'm telling you that you are wrong. I think it is defintely possible that in the past 20 years overall athletism through out the league has increased. IDK but that is not the current discussion. Also, why dont you actually compare the elite players in question athleticly instead of regurgitating non sense. Medically proven?????

If you or anyone else with your opinion were to compare these players position by position i think the only conclusion you can reach is that athletism among elite NBA players has NOT change dramaticly in the 20 years. Again:

Jordan and Cylde are bigger and more athletic then Kobe and Wade

Barkley and Kemp are clearly more athletic then any top PF in the league except Blake

Dream and D Rob are clearly more athletic then any top center in the league except D12

If you agree you cant say that the current NBA stars have a big athletic advantage over NBA stars of the early 1990s.

Dude really?

Read what Chris Palmer said. Now read what I have said. If you still can't get it then I honestly think there is no helping this argument.

NJBASEBALL22
06-14-2012, 02:48 PM
We'll put it this way. Larry Bird in his declining phases, is a SF but would probably play PF in international play, was a better passer than anyone on the current team except Kidd and LeBron and is a better shooter than anyone on the current team (except maybe, MAYBE Durant if he plays on it).

Jordan after 30 was still a better defender than anyone on the current team except maybe CP3 when CP3 is absolutely 100% healthy and a better scorer and creator than anyone one the current team. KD, Kobe, LeBron, Wade come close scoring but not on the same level at creating except LeBron.

The only player that can match Pippen defensively is LeBron if he 100% focuses on D.

Magic/Stockton = Kidd/Deron/CP3 Slightest edge dream team
Jordan/Drexler > Kobe/Wade Jordan isn't at his peak but neither was Kobe
Pippen/Bird = LeBron/Melo Slight edge Current stars just b/c Lebron is so good can play 1-4
Barkley/Malone >>> Bosh/Boozer dream team rips them
Robinson/Ewing >> Howard dream team rips them

kingmatsundin
06-14-2012, 02:56 PM
If it was old school reffing then The original dream team would win easily, too many soft calls in today's NBA you can't even breathe on the guy without getting a foul.

ewing
06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Dude really?

Read what Chris Palmer said. Now read what I have said. If you still can't get it then I honestly think there is no helping this argument.

Take today's players and place them in the 80s but take away the advantages of their superior athletic ability and place those players in today's league and give them the superior athleticism

Your words. I assume you meant 90's b/c thats the era we are comparing

The fact that today's players are more athletic

again your words.

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Take today's players and place them in the 80s but take away the advantages of their superior athletic ability and place those players in today's league and give them the superior athleticism

Your words. I assume you meant 90's b/c thats the era we are comparing

1 every member of the dream team with the exception of Leathner started their professional careers in the 80s. That's when they started their career which is what's most important.

Did you not see where I said

The fact that today's players are more athletic

again your words.

And its a proven fact that they are. I don't know what you're trying to dispute. The players in the NBA are more athletic than ever before in league history.

If you want to compare on an individual basis in this argument then fine do so at worst its a wash. One can easily argue that Dwight is more athletic than Ewing and just as or maybe even a bit more than Robinson that KG is (or at least was) more athletic than Chuck or Malone and that Kobe and Wade are right up there with MJ and Drexler. The you consider how much LeBron blows Pippen/Bird out and Rose and Westbrook blow Stock and Magic away. Then when you look further down the bench there really isn't much of a case there.

Now take a gander at Palmer's argument where he says the Dream Team can't guard speed (which is why I spoke of Rose and Westbrook vs Magic earlier)... that is the essence of the point in which I am making. You don't understand this however.

the avenger
06-14-2012, 03:21 PM
This

i think everyone should be happy that the talent pool in the nba is finally starting to catch up to where it once was. That said its still hasnt reached the golden era.

I think its time disspell some of the myths u youngsters are swallowing.

first todays players are bigger. Let look at this by position

pg magic.... No one is bigger.

Sg micheal and cylde 6'6 and 6'7 again bigger or as big as kobe and anyone else you can find at the 2 unless you move kd there

sf scottie and bird 6'8 and 6'10- again your not much getting bigger at the sf

pf malone and chuck 6'9 and made of cement and 6'4 . Well chuck is undersized

center pat and d rob

ok so they are not smaller. If anything they are bigger!

ok so they must not be athletic enough

again let look at it by spot

pg magic and stockton definately have a speed disadvantage (sometimes the best pg in the league isnt the fastest.... I also remember kj and isiah and they are comparable to the roses and westbrooks). Still the top pgs of today are definately faster then the dream teams pgs.

Sg micheal and cylde are more athletic then any combonation of elite 2 guards in todays league

sf scottie and larry- they are not as athletic as lbj and durrant

pf malone and chuck are more athletic any combonation of elite pfs in todays league. Btw shawn kemp was just starting to come into his own arround this time as well. Blake is the only pf in the league that has kemp/barkley type athletism.

C ewing and d rob- d12 is a great athlete but the center position pales in every regard to what it was in that era.

elite players today on the whole are neither bigger nor more athletic then they are were in 1992

the fact that kd is 6'11 and can play the 2 doesnt change that. Magic was 6'10 a pure pg. The fact that lbj is a total freak doesnt change that. So was chuck. Those guys are anomalies in every era of basketball that has existed to date

avrpatsfan
06-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm below the age of 25 and I think the dream team would easily beat the redeem team. Sure, the redeem team has Lebron, Wade, and Kobe, but the dream team had Jordan in his prime, Pippen, Magic Johnson, Stockton, ect. It's really not that close.

valade16
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Michael at the age of 40 averaged 20 ppg in 2002. To act like it was impossible for guys back then to play now is hilarious. KG is still going strong with is play now and he was from the 90s too.

Is Steve Nash anymore athletic than Stockton? Then how is he able to be one of, if not the best PG in the game yet Stockton wouldn't be able to hang?

Sssmush
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
The Dream Team was more like a giant ego team.

Like "once the pros play, the USA will win by 100 every game."

Then there was the post dream teams, which lost, and then the post-post dream teams led by coach K and the new basketball USA, which developed a cohesive system and has once again been able to beat all the international teams, win the WCs and the Olympic Gold.

Now, on top of all that improved coaching and teamwork, you have a crop of incredible talent, led by Kobe, Durant and Lebron, and including Wade, Westbrook, DH12, Kevin Love, Duncan and Rondo. Which, when you stack it up, Magic, Pippen and Jordan don't seem all that immortal.

I would love to see these teams play. (obviously everyone would). What would be great would be to have 3 seven game series, one with international rules, one with 1990's NBA rules, and one with 2012 NBA rules.

I think the international rules and the 2012 rules, the "redeem team" clearly wins, maybe even sweeps. The 1990's rules... not sure, be interesting to see. Maybe redeem team wiins all three?

ewing
06-14-2012, 03:41 PM
1 every member of the dream team with the exception of Leathner started their professional careers in the 80s. That's when they started their career which is what's most important.

And its a proven fact that they are. I don't know what you're trying to dispute. The players in the NBA are more athletic than ever before in league history.

If you want to compare on an individual basis in this argument then fine do so at worst its a wash. One can easily argue that Dwight is more athletic than Ewing and just as or maybe even a bit more than Robinson that KG is (or at least was) more athletic than Chuck or Malone and that Kobe and Wade are right up there with MJ and Drexler. The you consider how much LeBron blows Pippen/Bird out and Rose and Westbrook blow Stock and Magic away. Then when you look further down the bench there really isn't much of a case there.

Now take a gander at Palmer's argument where he says the Dream Team can't guard speed (which is why I spoke of Rose and Westbrook vs Magic earlier)... that is the essence of the point in which I am making. You don't understand this however.

Proven by who? Show me the medical study you are refering to at compares the athletism of elite NBA players in the early 1990s to elite NBA players in 2012. It doesnt exist. The only way to do it is to look at the players. Lets look at the most athletic stars at each spot

PG Rose and Westbrook vs KJ and Isiah

I think Rose and Westbrook win but KJ is defaintely right there with them and Isiah is no slouch

SG Micheal and Cydle vs Kobe and Wade

All these guys are in the same ball park but i defaintely think Micheal is the most athletic and over all the old guys get the edge.

SF Bron and Melo (does anyone else qualify as a true star) vs Pippen and Dominique

I guess i give it too Bron and Melo b/c Bron is the most phyically gifted player i've ever seen but its pretty close aint it

PF Barkley and Kemp vs Blake and J Smooth

I gotta go old school

Centers David Robinson and Dream vs D12 and ?

Sorry D12 your a freak but your the only true center who is freak and has any game in the league. Again gotta go old guys.

Your only agruement is that something which has never been studied is proven. Thats redic

ewing
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Michael at the age of 40 averaged 20 ppg in 2002. To act like it was impossible for guys back then to play now is hilarious. KG is still going strong with is play now and he was from the 90s too.

Is Steve Nash anymore athletic than Stockton? Then how is he able to be one of, if not the best PG in the game yet Stockton wouldn't be able to hang?

Yep

king2218
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Forget the position comparison. MJ would not allow the redeem team to beat him. People forget the deadly jumper he had. He would four more championships AFTER the dream team journey so he still had plenty of game (i.e. scoring 55 pts his first game back from retirement). If the dream team played with today's rules, MJ; Barkley; Drexler would shoot 20+ free throws a game each.

FrenchSunsFan
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM
The 1992 dream wasn't the best team the USA could haved in 1992 , you just let Laettner and take the number 1 of the 1992 draft who was Shaquile O'Neal and now I can answer at all your questions.

Who can stop KD, LBJ, D12 and co... Shaq
Who can stop the young Shaq ... the US Air Force

JasonJohnHorn
06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
This might be true, but only because some members of the Dream Team weren't in their prime when they were on the roster. You are comparing a Bird, who is hobbled with back injuries to Durant, who is young and healthy. Put them both in their prime, and now we are talking. And I'm sorry, but even at his age, Magic would have had such a size advantage over ever PG in the league today that the match-up would be a joke. And Stockton would be backing him up? I'm sorry, but no way is Rondo going to run Stockton off the court.

And Barkley and Malone vs. KG and Duncan, that would be a great match-up, but KG and Duncan of TODAY would lose to Barkley and Malone at the time of the dream team. Put all four in their primes and now we are talking. But Barkley and Malone were both better scorers than KG and Duncan, and perhaps better rebounders as well.

This sounds like the guy is just trying to stir up some publicity.

FrenchSunsFan
06-14-2012, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=ewing;22526187]Proven by who? Show me the medical study you are refering to at compares the athletism of elite NBA players in the early 1990s to elite NBA players in 2012. It doesnt exist. The only way to do it is to look at the players. Lets look at the most athletic stars at each spot

I have someone in the 90's who can easily rivalised athletically with Westbrook and Rose.

Robert Pack aka Pacman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFT1rGfCT5E

JasonJohnHorn
06-14-2012, 04:11 PM
. scoring 55 pts his first game back from retirement). .

He actually only scored 17 or 19 points in his first game back after his first retirement... it was his FIFTH game back that he scored 55.

Swashcuff
06-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Proven by who? Show me the medical study you are refering to at compares the athletism of elite NBA players in the early 1990s to elite NBA players in 2012. It doesnt exist. The only way to do it is to look at the players. Lets look at the most athletic stars at each spot

Its all over the web if you want you can do some digging yourself and probably start at athleticprogression.com

I think Rose and Westbrook win but KJ is defaintely right there with them and Isiah is no slouch

Quite easily Westbrook and Rose.

SG Micheal and Cydle vs Kobe and Wade

All these guys are in the same ball park but i defaintely think Micheal is the most athletic and over all the old guys get the edge.

No gripe there.

SF Bron and Melo (does anyone else qualify as a true star) vs Pippen and Dominique

I guess i give it too Bron and Melo b/c Bron is the most phyically gifted player i've ever seen but its pretty close aint it

Did you seriously just ask if anyone else qualifies as a true star? Either way its quite handily today's players

PF Barkley and Kemp vs Blake and J Smooth

I gotta go old school

That would be fine but in this particular comparison even Chuck would admit that Blake is more athletic than both him and Kemp.

Centers David Robinson and Dream vs D12 and ?

Sorry D12 your a freak but your the only true center who is freak and has any game in the league. Again gotta go old guys.

So being the only true one means he isn't more athletic? :confused:

Your only agruement is that something which has never been studied is proven. Thats redic

Something that has never been studied? :laugh2:

Have you just started watching sports? Or are you now the one cherrypicking?

ewing
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Its all over the web if you want you can do some digging yourself and probably start at athleticprogression.com

Quite easily Westbrook and Rose.

No gripe there.

Did you seriously just ask if anyone else qualifies as a true star? Either way its quite handily today's players

That would be fine but in this particular comparison even Chuck would admit that Blake is more athletic than both him and Kemp.

So being the only true one means he isn't more athletic? :confused:

Something that has never been studied? :laugh2:

Have you just started watching sports? Or are you now the one cherrypicking?

Stop telling me to prove your agruement. Just b/c athletes have gotten more athletic over time does not mean that NBA stars have increased in athletism significantly from the earily 1990 to now. I continue to give my agruement. Now ill respond to your gripes with my agruement while i wait for you to produce the medical journals.

PG- i gave you

SF- I disagree with you todays stars do not win it quite handily. LBJ is the most athletic but Nique is 2 and Pip is 3rd. Still i give it to todays stars

PF. Its agruable that Blake is more athletic then Kemp and Chuck but Kemp and Chuck are significantly more atheltic then any other star PF in todays league. Again i give the edge to the old guys

C Dream and D Rob vs Dwight and anyone. Dwight might be the most athletic. I honestly dont know if he is. He is definately the most powerful but Dream and Robinson are so much more athletic then any other pretend center you could put next to Howard that if we are comparing the top two you have to give it to the old guys.

Again i believe its debatable which generation has more athletic stars and so long as it debatable your wrong

LAKERMANIA
06-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Dream Team would beat the redeem team..

A better matchup would be the Dream Team vs. the 2012 team..

Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Durant
Love
Bynum?
D12?
Paul
Rondo

vs

Jordan
Magic
Bird
Barkley
Malone
Stockton
Mullin

I'd go with the 2012 team on that matchup... Although the dream team has prime Jordan... :hide:

BklynKnicks3
06-14-2012, 04:37 PM
it would be a blow out to much speed atheltic ability

THE MTL
06-14-2012, 04:40 PM
The Redeem Team has SUPER CHEMISTRY and the Dream Team was just simply great. I think that they might possibly beat the Dream Team simply for that reason.

Trace
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Just because more players are able to reach their biological potential it doesn't mean that they're necessarily more athletic than the players before them. It just simply means that the players are just more athletic overall. It's not like you're pitting the entire league against the league of yesterday. You're pitting the top 10 or so players of today versus the top 10 or so players of yesterday. As well, at the certain point the edge gained in athleticism reaches a diminishing point where the difference between the two sides would be negligible.

Secondly, the olympic court is smaller and allows for more contact. This almost mitigates any advantage (Which isn't that much since Rose/Westbrook aren't significantly faster than KJ/Thomas) the PGs of today would have had with their speed. The Redeem team would be at a disadvantage due to their inability to shoot the ball and even if they were able to get it in the paint, there will be either DRob/Ewing hovering over them.

Thirdly, it doesn't matter if Howard/Griffin are more athletic than the bigs of old. How many post moves does they have? Without any versatility, how are you going to score the ball against some of the best interior defenders this league has ever seen?What's their FT percentage? If the game is on the line, how do you rationalize putting them on the court without having the hack a Shaq strategy pulled on them?

RLundi
06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
People are naturally idiots, of the 'what have you done for me lately' crowd.

Oh how soon they forget.

KingPosey
06-14-2012, 04:50 PM

You MIGHT be right. But I need some proof. Show me one thing of proven evidence and you have me.

blahblahyoutoo
06-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I agree but if a series, 1992 team would probably win in 6. I laugh at the today's guys would run the 1992 team off the court.

Looking at Miami play transition D (or any other team today), I could see Magic Johnson with 35 assists and Barkley/Jordan with 10 dunks apiece. Or Karl Malone who could really run in the open court too. Or Clyde.

LOL, they also left Hakeem off that team along with Isaiah. And Hakeem was better than Patrick or the Admiral. Seriously, Palmer is a first class ******** troll for that tweet.

Just watching Westbrook try to finish a dunk in the open court ad I cringed at the footwork. Clyde Drexler flushes it. And Westbrook is a great athlete.
isn't hakeem african?
that's why he's not on the USA dream team.

RLundi
06-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Why do you always feel the need to mention nuts in all of your posts? Are the penises of NBA players constantly on your mind?

You've proven yourself to be a lowly LeBron hater and therefore your opinion will never be taken seriously. Even if what you're saying is logical, you're the forum village idiot so you automatically lose credibility.

THE_LOGO
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I feel bad for those of you that never saw Magic play, only highlights. By himself, he would pick this team apart with one hand and sitting on a stool. No, he was not on his decline in 92. He was still in the prime of his career but pushed out by the likes of Malone due to his HIV. The only person that was on his decline in that 92 squad was Bird. You can have all the athleticism you want but if you don't have "IT" you won't win squat. For those arguing that today's players would win, let me be the first to remind you that prior to Kobe joining the squad, they couldn't win gold. And then you're putting them up against the best team ever assembled?

By the way, only three players from this generation could possibly hope to get a spot on the OG dream team: Kobe, KD, Lebron.

smood999
06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
So why is Dwight the only big size player in the league while the 90's had tons if the guys today are bigger, faster and stronger?

The rest of my post clearly states with the exception of the center position...every other position is bigger faster and stronger today..

JerseyPalahniuk
06-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Dream Team would beat the redeem team..

A better matchup would be the Dream Team vs. the 2012 team..

Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Durant
Love
Bynum?
D12?
Paul
Rondo

vs

Jordan
Magic
Bird
Barkley
Malone
Stockton
Mullin

I'd go with the 2012 team on that matchup... Although the dream team has prime Jordan... :hide:

Yeah I would too if you don't play Pippin, Ewing, Robinson, Drexler...

ewing
06-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Just because more players are able to reach their biological potential it doesn't mean that they're necessarily more athletic than the players before them. It just simply means that the players are just more athletic overall. It's not like you're pitting the entire league against the league of yesterday. You're pitting the top 10 or so players of today versus the top 10 or so players of yesterday. As well, at the certain point the edge gained in athleticism reaches a diminishing point where the difference between the two sides would be negligible.

Secondly, the olympic court is smaller and allows for more contact. This almost mitigates any advantage (Which isn't that much since Rose/Westbrook aren't significantly faster than KJ/Thomas) the PGs of today would have had with their speed. The Redeem team would be at a disadvantage due to their inability to shoot the ball and even if they were able to get it in the paint, there will be either DRob/Ewing hovering over them.

Thirdly, it doesn't matter if Howard/Griffin are more athletic than the bigs of old. How many post moves does they have? Without any versatility, how are you going to score the ball against some of the best interior defenders this league has ever seen?What's their FT percentage? If the game is on the line, how do you rationalize putting them on the court without having the hack a Shaq strategy pulled on them?

Thank you and as i've stated repeatedly in this thread the stars from this particular era we are comparing to today are more athletic at SG and C without dispute. I also think they are more athletic at PF. How can the game have evolved that much athletically at the top when Micheal is more athletic then any elite shooting guard that can be offered, Nique is the 2nd most athletic elite SF, Barkley and Kemp and the 2nd and 3rd athletic elite PF, and Dream and D Rob are at worst the 2nd and 3rd most athletic elite centers?

The only possible evolution i see in term of athleticism is that elite PGs are more powerful. Other then Magic the top PGs were pretty slight. I doubt science influenced that position more then the other so that is either a anomaly or the result of other factor (the evolution of the combo guard maybe)

smood999
06-14-2012, 05:58 PM

The point is not taking away their athleticism...not many ppl here have argued that the players now are more skilled or the better basketball players period...But to ignore that athleticism and size combined with skill doesn't give some sort of advantage or make up the slight gap in skill since we are comparing the best of one era to the best in another...

How do we criticize players all the time for not being athletic enough...or say that team gives so and so team problems because of their youth and athleticism or any other argument that ppl make daily when assessing sports pertaining to a team/players lack of athleticism, but cannot use the same argument against the Dream Team members? Why are they exempt from that?

If athleticism wasn't such a big deal why do many careers begin to decline when the players athleticism declines? Are they less skilled or just less athletic? Some players are able to carve out a role and be successful in the league just cause of their athleticism. Some elite rookies coming into the league are successful based on their athleticism and then ppl always say when he develops more skill it'll be scary etc. You are underestimating how involved the athleticism aspect is. We're not talking about players with no skill either...many of these guys would be in their primes and have the perfect blend of skill and athleticism...Bird and Magic were at the end of their careers at this point..

How do we know how they'd fair against these players when they were never matched up with players like this before?

Again, I don't agree that it would be a blow out...but I'm not going to dismiss the notion that the players today might win. Fact is length, speed, strength, etc...are all major aspects of the game as well as skill itself...

smood999
06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=ewing;22526187]Proven by who? Show me the medical study you are refering to at compares the athletism of elite NBA players in the early 1990s to elite NBA players in 2012. It doesnt exist. The only way to do it is to look at the players. Lets look at the most athletic stars at each spot

I have someone in the 90's who can easily rivalised athletically with Westbrook and Rose.

Robert Pack aka Pacman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFT1rGfCT5E

really Robert Pack?! Robert Pack was 5'11"?! I'm guessing 170...and nowhere near as skilled as Westbrook or Rose?!

You're missing that it's the combination of size, athleticism and skill...the skill advantage may very well go to the Dream Team...however, with Magic and Bird at the end of their careers the overall skill may be closer than ppl think...the size and athleticism advantage is a bigger gap favoring the players now...

think less of who were flat out the better players (my opinion the Dream Team) and think matchups the same way that you would think when you compared 2 teams of the same era going head to head...it's more of a matchup issue than the players now being better...matchups are a big part of the game in itself..lesser teams win at times just purely on matchups..

RB#20
06-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't sad badly. But the Dream Team's main players were of older age compared to the prime players the Redeem team has. Can Magic, Bird and Jordan in their 30's keep up with Lebron, Durant and Wade? I think I'd be close with a lot of leeway for either side, but I can see why one would argue a bigger edge in the comparison.

2 out of the 3 men that you referenced almost lost to a Celtics' team who's average age is 50 1/2 and you're wondering if a 30 y/o MJ/Legend/Magic trio can keep up? :facepalm:

RB#20
06-14-2012, 09:28 PM

If it's by today's rules then Dream Team shoots 80% from the field while entering into the penalty 9 mins into the start of every quarter.

ewing
06-14-2012, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=FrenchSunsFan;22526506]

really Robert Pack?! Robert Pack was 5'11"?! I'm guessing 170...and nowhere near as skilled as Westbrook or Rose?!

You're missing that it's the combination of size, athleticism and skill...the skill advantage may very well go to the Dream Team...however, with Magic and Bird at the end of their careers the overall skill may be closer than ppl think...the size and athleticism advantage is a bigger gap favoring the players now...

think less of who were flat out the better players (my opinion the Dream Team) and think matchups the same way that you would think when you compared 2 teams of the same era going head to head...it's more of a matchup issue than the players now being better...matchups are a big part of the game in itself..lesser teams win at times just purely on matchups..

I have a hard time believing that the rise of the volume shooting combo guard is what makes todays NBA better

RB#20
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Comments like yours make this forum a joke. Dwight & Chandler would be PF's in the 80's-90's. Shaq is the last of the great Centers. Rose, CP3 & Westy are not better than Isaiah Thomas and only CP3 is a real PG out of those 3, the other2 are glorified SG's.

RB#20
06-14-2012, 09:38 PM

They have to say that ****. It's what they get paid to do. You think anyone wants to hear that todays NBA Players suck dick? Of course not.

RB#20
06-14-2012, 09:44 PM

You clearly didn't watch NBA in the 80's & 90's. You have no clue wtf you're talking about.

IndiansFan337
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
It is impossible to compare generations in terms of teams, but I can say with certainty that the current stars are more athletic and faster than the original Dream Team.

Remember, some of the top guys like KG, Rose, Howard, Duncan, etc are not even playing on this team even though they are good enough to make the roster. Also note that a few of the guys on the original Dream Team were at the tail end of their career. I believe Magic had been retired when he joined them, Bird was at the tail end of his career and his body was a mess with injuries. Those are 2 of the top 5-8 players of all-time, but in 1992 they were not at their peak. Also, Stockton was injured.

Barkley, MJ, Pippen, Malone, Ewing, Robinson were all in their prime. From the expected players on this summer's team I think Kobe is the only one who is clearly not in his prime. He's still VERY good and a top player, similar to how Magic was in 1992. But guy's like Rondo, Westbrook, Durant, and potentially Harden and/or Griffin could arguably not be at their prime peak yet. Guys like LBJ, Wade, Melo, Paul, D-Will, Bosh (I guess depending on the true extent of his current injury), Chandler are in their prime and not going to get better going forward, but are not yet on the downside. There will be other role players who I have not mentioned, but most are in their prime as well, such as Iguodola, Gay, etc.

RB#20
06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Dumbest thing i have ever heard....
It wouldn't even be a game, the toughness and desire of th players from the dream team alone, would win that game....

I cant believe there are people out there that think a team that consist of mj, stockton, bird, barkley, d.robinson, ewing, magic, malone, drexler, mullen and laetner would lose to a group of these soft *** babied athletes we have today.

Chris palmer you have officially REPLACED brousiard as the dumbest analyst ever.

:clap:

RB#20
06-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Man can you predict the future? Don't ****ing act like you know what the outcome of the game would be like.

Go **** yourself. Were you even born to see the dream team play in their prime or are you just going by the **** you've been fed from ESPN & all of those corporate soulless pricks who don't have any opinion? You know...the ones that just read what the editor tells them who act like they know what they are talking about. ****ing 6' 9" Magic Johnson playing PG and all 5 positions like a ****ing boss but you're gonna suck 6' 8" 250 LBJ's dick who can't even play PF without whining lol go ****ing make me a sandwich.

SDBearsFan
06-14-2012, 10:06 PM
You know how many free throws the Dream Team would get in todays NBA?

NYY 26 to 7
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
The only way the USA team now beats the dream team is if they played right now. I like how he ignores that Ewing is much better than Howard (there are just no good real centers in the league right now) Charles was unbelieveable and he says who is checking Rose/Westbrook - well who is checking the greatest pg of all time Magic Johnson. Jordan would take Kobe easily and those on here that watched both its not close. I really don't think there would be a huge speed advantage and the only real win I see there for the new guys would be LeBron over Bird and thats Larry effin Bird. The Dream Team had way more playmakers and not isolation players (except Jordan who isolated but could also be a great passer). The way the Dream team moved the ball was amazing and it all starts with Magic obviously as the greatest play maker the league has ever seen - backed up by oh just John Stockton the all time assist leader who was one of the grittiest toughest guys (also dirty) the NBA has ever seen. There is no clear athletic advantage that would push LeBron and Co past Magic/MJ/Bird/Charles/Ewing

blazerman
06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I find it hard to believe that this era is supposedly a defensive era, what an fn joke.

This era is full of subpar players that are overpaid!

There are some really great players like Duncan(in between era's)LeBron, Kobe and we can throw in Durant but Chris Paul please dont throw his name around like it carries any weight because that fool couldnt lead a pack of hungry wolves to meat!

Id love to see any of these point guards keep Magic Johnson from controlling the tempo of a game, none are good enough and their speed isnt gonna be a factor, Magic was the facillitator of the most famous offense in NBA history, "Showtime era",
Who in this era could stop a prime Karl Malone and Barkley inside consistently, maybe Duncan, dont even say LeBron because that aint happening!

Drexler and Pippen were both throughbreeds like Westbrook but better and both were solid on D and couldnt be stopped in transition! A young D Robinson and Shaq, Im sorry but DHoward your on the receiving end of alot of foulouts!

Nobody in this era knows what to do about containing MJ either and Larry Bird would have made players look like bigger dummies than they already do with his passing and heady play.

This thread is stupid

ewing
06-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Maybe if they added Jeremy Lin

jayjay33
06-14-2012, 10:32 PM
You can tell all the people who don't know a thing about basketball. They are the ones talking about how the dream team would run over the redeem team. The nature of the game of basketball is such that this would not be possible. I even saw one guy say 95-42. Now thats just insane, people are starting to get ridiculous with there over rating on players from that era. I mean the way these guys are talking the superstars of today wouldn't even be NBA caliber player's then. Because that's the level of disparity it would take for them to be that much better.

RB#20
06-14-2012, 11:05 PM
I was being nice when I said 95-42. It was more of a compliment to the guys playing today with their offensive capabilities. Here I'll adjust it...95-52. Happy? I bet LeBron scores half of those points while Rondo dishes 10 assists. I don't think you realize how insulting it was for the guys in the past to give up anything in the paint. Why do you think no one wanted to drive on Charles Oakley? Fights would break out all the time lol **** was brutal. Barkley ripped a dunk out of Shaq's hands in an all-star game of all things while Amare lets LeBron throw it off the glass to dunk on him in one year. That's the difference between the eras and for a game when you're proving that you're the best in the world? No contest the DT wins. Guys now don't even want to play for their country like its a ****ing inconvenience.

bootleg42
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM

What advancement in skill???? Last I checked, the players of this decade can run around as much as they want because there exists no chance of a close line coming right at them because of all the fouls in today's game.

Try running around so freely in the 90's. Charles Oakley, Xavier McDaniel (the X-MAN!!!), Dennis Rodman, or Anthony Mason would have made sure that the Dwane Wades and Rusell Westbrooks of the world feel the wrath of a close line to the point where they don't try running around so freely. And the best part, it wouldn't be a foul.......at least back then.

The 92 dream team players knew how to play against those defenses. They would know how to win.

Also today's players do not know the wrath of Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

RB#20
06-14-2012, 11:13 PM
^Amen. X-Man, Mason, Cooper, etc. man there aren't defenders like that anymore.

BULLSFAN0810
06-14-2012, 11:30 PM

Dude... You guys are banned..mentally.

A 6"9 pg... Back 2 back rings
A 6"9 sf.. Back 2 back rings
A 6"5 sg ... Unstoppable
6"9 pf.... Ave 30 & 10 back to back final appearance
7 foot center.. Two time champ.. Defensive juggernaut.. Scoring leader

you guys bringing up people who resume don't match up, and think they will win because they can jump... These guys played cerebral, and had athletic ability, and imp mentally tougher.. All the guys you claim may be better are compared to some of the people on the dream team, and individually pale..so how in the heck can they beat them?
They were specialist, some like Mullin, bird couldn't guard a can of paint one on one, but team defensively they were great AND they were so good at what they did they nullified weaknesses they had.

How old are you

BULLSFAN0810
06-14-2012, 11:33 PM
What advancement in skill???? Last I checked, the players of this decade can run around as much as they want because there exists no chance of a close line coming right at them because of all the fouls in today's game.

Try running around so freely in the 90's. Charles Oakley, Xavier McDaniel (the X-MAN!!!), Dennis Rodman, or Anthony Mason would have made sure that the Dwane Wades and Rusell Westbrooks of the world feel the wrath of a close line to the point where they don't try running around so freely. And the best part, it wouldn't be a foul.......at least back then.

The 92 dream team players knew how to play against those defenses. They would know how to win.

Perfectly said..people don't know how competitive Mj was.

JonnyBrav000
06-15-2012, 12:12 AM
This guy Chris whatever his last name is can go F a goat, he has no idea what he is talking about. Basketball is not all about athleticism, if that were true than the Heat would have beat the Mavs last year in the NBA finals. Also the dream team had 2 of the 3 greatest PG's of all time (Magic, Stockton), the greatest player of all time Michael Jordan, and some really good bigs, some great clutch players/shooters including Larry Legend and Pippen was just a defensive monster and overall beast, the 92 dream team players were more well rounded when you consider IQ and foundamentals, no way the 2008 team can really be looked upon as better, remember it's only one basketball on the court, doesn't matter how many superstars play for the 2008 team, the 92 dream team played more like an actual unit, therefore would be the better squad.

Also, saying Charles and Malone were ringless is stupid, there are many more championship rings with guys on the dream team than the 2008 team, plus Michael Jordan is the main reason why guys like Ewing, Malone, Barkley and Reggie could never win the big one. Notice how Olajuwon, one of the greatest Centers ever got his when Jordan was out playing baseball.

forgetaboutit
06-15-2012, 12:23 AM
You got to be a real stupid *** to believe this chooch! He obviously is a dumb ****.

NothingbutWill
06-15-2012, 04:22 AM
Pretty sure the Dream team's defense presence is enough to dominate today's players. Look at who you got in the paint. Robinson, Ewing, Malone, Barkley. So what if Westbrook, CP3, Rose gets past their defenders. With those 4 standing inside, I wouldn't worry too much.

Besides, today's players definition of playing defense is to flop every time they make contact with another player.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
06-15-2012, 04:54 AM
haha this was funny...only way todays team would win is if they had todays refs calling the game because they ***** and moan about every call and would get it. If the refs from when real basketball was played (90's) then they would get blown out even more...The one thing I would ask tho is who would guard Durant?

jordan n magic were on regs ***** all game every game every play:facepalm: im 22 yrs old and know that people my age saying that the redeam team would win need to go back and watch some of the GREATEST OF ALL TIME on one team. sorry but the only one's who have the ability of being in the goat talks of todays generation is kobe and lebron kg n duncan with possibility of kd and howard no one else compares to the other players!
the dream team every player was in the top 50 of all time more than half of the other roster wouldnt crack top 100

loublue22
06-15-2012, 04:57 AM
I get what Palmer is saying, but the Dream Team's inside presence makes up for the possible deficiencies in perimeter athleticism.

ry31walsh
06-15-2012, 05:49 AM
I think the oginal team would destroy them. Stockdon, pippen, jordan, robinson, bird, ewing, malone were all multiyear all defensive team.

I just think the original team would be a better team. No one can pass like stockdon at the point. They couldnt match bird and mullin shooting from the outside. Inside malone barkey would outrebound and just beatup the new school guys. While howard would be fine at center i think the depth between robinson and ewing would grind on him.
Plus that jordan fella was pretty dam good. Yeah the new team is quicker. But old team is stronger, more physical, better shooters, better rebounding, better defending and better passing. Also more flexable imo magic played forward also.

thenaj17
06-15-2012, 06:12 AM

And you think that is acceptable basketball?? It was a joke and cheating beyond belief! If you can't play fair, then don't play at all!

ewing
06-15-2012, 07:16 AM
And you think that is acceptable basketball?? It was a joke and cheating beyond belief! If you can't play fair, then don't play at all!

That you Mom?

blacknell
06-15-2012, 08:10 AM
1. Nobody could stop MJ
2. Magic is better than any PG in the NBA today
3. Patrick Ewing was a beast but i think Howard would give him fits. Then again Howard has no skills down low besides the dunk and he won't get that on Ewing or Robinson
4.Pippen shuts down KD and Jordan takes on Lebron and Magic will guard Kobe
5.Malone and Barkley won't be stopped by tim duncan or KG
Larry bird and Mullins will shoot anybody but Ray Allen out of a gym in the NBA

DeadlyVeyerus31
06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
This writer needs to be fired! Are you kidding me? Who from the 08 team would guard Jordan....? Kobe? Would Kobe then have the legs to keep up with the scoring? Because no one on the 08 team besides Carmelo has a jump shot worth a ****. Not to mention Magic and Stockon in the back court and Ewing, Robinson Barkely, Malone in the front court!!! Oh I haven't even mentioned Bird, Pipen and Drexler.

Get the F@&k out of here Chris Palmer!

Today's players are bigs babies and always looking for a foul call. Back when the 92 team played, Stockon would give you the business and not think twice about it. Or you had to earn your free throws. Players today are just a bunch of cry babies!

LGhost
06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
The Dream Team was great but you could have selected the worst NBA players and we still would have won gold that year... I've been watching a few of the games recently and the other teams were complete garbage\ NBA vs. junior high students or elementary school. The Dream Team didn't have to execute, their athleticism led them to Gold, other teams lacked basic basketball fundamentals as well such as transition defense.

Muttman73
06-15-2012, 09:14 AM
I'd love to see MJ on LeBron

Jordan would not only beat him, he would humiliate him

MJ had more than just the physical tools LeBron has, he had heart...he had drive

southeastjerome
06-15-2012, 09:19 AM

You must be young....Just like Lebron, Magic changed the game. Lebron is a more athletic Magic but Magic's basketball IQ was far superior. The dream team's total basketball IQ was far superior and it would play to their advantage. Yes today's team would be superior athletically but the dream team of old would dominate at the power forward and center positions. You need to do some research on the players of old.

camador22
06-15-2012, 09:20 AM
I think our perimeter players would be better than theirs but their post players would kill us and make the difference.

camador22
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM

MJ had more than just the physical tools LeBron has, he had heart...he had drive

I'm a huge MJ fan but he would not humiliate Lebron. Sure he's better but Lebron will certainly matchup very well and make it competitive.

sweet-d
06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
It would be really close assuming they play by international basketball rules. The Dream Team would win but it would be close they would win because today's big men suck.

MadBomber
06-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Pippen would probably be on him while Jordan guards Kobe.

NJBASEBALL22
06-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Its not that the players today are faster, bigger, or stronger... it is the fact that there are more athletes playing today than in any other decade.

The top athletes in the 80s/90s can match the athletes today... it is just that today there are more. So the top 12 are the top 12, that doesn't mean Kobe in more athletic than Jordan because he played today.

Michael, Pippen, Drexler were 3 of the most athletic players ever... Pippen and Drexler pretty much averaged 20/7/5 for their careers on athleticism alone. Pippen was the greatest perimeter defender ever thanks to his athleticism.

Pippen was 6'9 and long... like Durant Long. Pippen was much more athletic than Durant but Durant is (will be) a better player because of his skill, not b/c of his athleticism.

Bird, at 6'10 was a better shooter than anyone on the redeem team and can bang with anyone on the redeem team in the post.

And Mullins was a mini lefty Bird.

And then talk about bigs... Robinson and Ewing would have a field day, an absolute FIELD DAY with Howard and Bosh (lol).

Bullsfan22
06-15-2012, 11:13 AM
He brings up good points but he forget the dream team magically warped into a TEAM. That's what made them so special imo.

Give the 92 Dream team the supplements and workout regimens todays players have they would wipe the floor with today's team.

Robinson was already Jacked back in the day? Pippen would be a freak of nature he would be the anti Lebron and KD. Pip would match KD's length but yet be able to guard LeBron in the post.

Magic would destroy Rose,cp3,Rondo,westbrook in the post, take your pick?

Tim Duncan is literally the only player I'd give the CLEAR advantage to as far as today's players. I think people forget how good Tim Duncan is to be honest. His skill-set and basketball IQ would give Karl Malone fits.

I don't even want to sit here and imagine Mj pumped up with supplements and today's crazy ways to build muscle.

bucketss
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
nvm

aLau10
06-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Honestly I think its too ignorant to claim that either team would "Hulk Smash" the other. Both teams holds respectable talent. The thing I realize is that today's players may actually be somewhat more athletic simply because of the way they were trained and with all they were provided which players back in the 80-90's did not have.
However, athleticism doesn't mean everything, many of the players today are athletic but please tell me, for the past decade has athleticism prevailed to a level where these "Athletic" players has helped their team win championships??

From the 80-90s NBA to the current NBA, the game of basketball has transformed significantly. Back then the players incorporated something called "Teamwork", a simply requirement for this game, and the "Dream Team" handled this one aspect of the game MASTERFULLY!

Players from today rely too solely on their athleticism, not saying they don't have team work, but its not nearly as good as where it used to be. In today's game you see alot of isolations and simply the ball will end up on the team's superstar and have him create the shot by himself.

Hence, the news headlines "Russel + Durant combines for 70+ points".....OR....."Miami Big 3 combines for more points than the other team"
yeah...something along those lines....

What I'm trying to say is, the players and the game has changed alot, you simply cant make such a bold and ignorant statement as to which team would smash which. However I personally much enjoy watching the old fashioned basketball, which seems more to me like the ACTUAL GAME OF BASKETBALL

KingPosey
06-15-2012, 01:26 PM
DH aint pushing around the Admiral in his prime, and he isnt that much more athletic. Some guys on this team have played AGAINST guys on that team. The whole physical advantage thing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over played. Its less than a 10 year gap for some of these guys.

sp1derm00
06-15-2012, 02:36 PM
The current 2012 team would have a good chance at beating the Dream Team.

I do think that we could build a team out of today's players that would run the Dream Team out of the building using today's players in today's conditions.

At PG, I would choose Rondo and Irving. They're both speed demons, and I realize Irving is a rookie, but not only is he blindingly fast, but he can shoot with the best of them.

At SG, I would run Lebron and Kobe. I would start Lebron at SG to match up with MJ since he would make him work harder on defense than anyone else in the league could right now. Having Kobe come off the bench is terrifying because, at what point can you sit MJ?

At SF, Durant and Iguodala. Iguodala would be an amazing player off the bench because he's not selfish and is a good playmaker and defender. He would be able to make Bird work to get his shot off.

At PF, Love and KG would be my choices. Love is the obvious choice since he rebounds with the best of them and he would drain the international 3 with such ease. It would be epic watching the Round Mound of Rebound going against Klove. KG coming off the bench would be perfect since he could go all out for the 20 or so he's on the court for and play like the KG of old.

At C, Dwight and Duncan. Bynum is good, but he's too immature and I could imagine him not giving a **** about a game like this and just being lazy.

Imagine a team like Rondo, Wade, Bron, Durant, and Dwight on the fast break? How do you defend that?

Imagine flooring Irving, Durant, and Love on the floor with Lebron and Duncan... it's like the perfect team to either get you back in the game or to blow the game wide open.

Imagine needing a stop, and flooring Rondo, Iguodala, Lebron, KG, and Dwight at the same time.

thekmp211
06-15-2012, 09:55 PM
uhh lets also keep in mind the level of competition faced by the dream team.

international basketball was in its infant stages compared to where it is now. those teams were basically lining for autographs on the court. this "teamwork" narrative is getting way overblown.

nostalgia is a funny thing. i have a hard time disagreeing with him, and that's no disrespect to the all time greats. but we also have some amazing, all-time talents playing right now as well.

Losoway
06-15-2012, 10:04 PM
he is right tho. noooo way the dream team could compete with the new stars now

Gritz
06-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Old people will say no, young people will say yes

khaleesi
06-15-2012, 11:23 PM

MJ had footwork.

OaklandsFinest
06-15-2012, 11:43 PM
I think people are focusing on the wrong match- ups. I wouldn't start a small pg against the dream team. I would start Lebron at the Point.

Lebron - Magic
Kobe - Mike
Durant - Pippen
KG - Barkley
Dwight - Ewing / Robinson

ziglur
06-16-2012, 01:07 AM
If the old timers had Hakeem, Rodman, Pippen and Jordon defending and Magic playing point they could beat todays guys!

naps
06-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Dream team would beat these guys and primary reason would be SIZE, not perimeter players like many kids here are thinking. You had David Robinson and Patrick Ewing on the paint. Who the hell does this generation have in terms of size?

Now, you give me Shaq, Zo, KG, Duncan all in their primes along with Durant, Wade, Kobe, LeBron, CP3, Rose, etc then we got ourselves a hell of a series to watch.

spurs4#5
06-21-2012, 01:14 AM
I think it would depend on what rules they played with

Raph12
06-21-2012, 03:10 AM
I'd put Westbrook-Wade-Durant-Lebron-Dwight out there to battle Magic-Jordan-Pippen-Barkley-DRob... Oh my goodness, the amount of money I'd pay to see that game, I'd be broke.

Hangtime
06-21-2012, 10:55 AM
It's funny when we reference these older players to today's players and say they get outplayed simply because they are quicker and more athletic. Yet you see guys like KG who still continues to outplay the vast majority in this younger league on a nightly bases when healthy and well in his mid 30's. He possesses that same mentality the 90's players had back then. Basketball is still a game of intelligence and execution. Given the amount of veteran players on that dream team some of which were still playing at their peak I think they had a better understanding of how to win.

Even today, why do you usually see the veteran teams win the NBA championships? Lebron is a nine year veteran now and he and his team so far looks superior to the younger and probably more all around athletic team in the Thunder. Soon Durant and his team will also learn as they get older and face younger up and coming teams to get that ultimate level. It has always been that way.

Dream Team wins best out of seven if they played. I think it would be competitve. Those guys in 92 were not yet old and were still their prime aside from Magic and Bird. They could teach these guys a thing or two about old school basketball.

MickeyMgl
06-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I'll go this far. I do believe that the Redeem Team was greater than the Dream Team, based on the stages in the players' careers and the level of competition that each team beat on their way to the Gold.

koreancabbage
06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Lebron > Magic. Magic can't guard Lebron. and I don't think any of those guys- MJ, Pippen, Magic could have guarded Lebron in the post. - i'm not saying 100% but they will have very mild success.

BKLYNpigeon
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Dream team was much tougher and would have been too physical for the redeem to handle.

close the thread, this has been discussed a million times on PSD.

Hangtime
06-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Lebron > Magic. Magic can't guard Lebron. and I don't think any of those guys- MJ, Pippen, Magic could have guarded Lebron in the post. - i'm not saying 100% but they will have very mild success.

I wonder if Lebron would even go into the post as much or even attack the rim given all the great talent he would have on the floor with him. Would he probably focus more on being a facilitator and jump shooter. Particularly when you got a guy like Kobe who wants to take it to Jordan in a battle for the ages. A game like this wouldn't be as organized as you think.

effen5
06-21-2012, 01:36 PM

He doesn't have a great post game though. Mjs post game is unguardable.

Federal Reserve
06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Chris Palmer has never picked up a basketball. He needs to sit in his little cubicle and shut the hell up.

Vee-Rex
06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Who would guard The Mailman? Lol dudes are wild right now. Bosh? Boozer? D12 would surely have to guard someone like D-Rob or Ewing, and wouldn't be on Malone.

There is nothing they could do with Karl Malone or Michael Jordan. Nothing. Make the Redeem team jumpshooters and they'll struggle. I can't believe people are making it seem like a 2008 Lebron would be unguardable. Lebron right now > 2008 Lebron. Pippen would lock him down and force him to throw up bricks.

The only person on the 2008 Redeem Team that would be a problem is Kobe. That's it. The Dream Team would dominate the paint. Ewing and D-Rob were incredible defenders and were shot blockers. Bird and Mullin could still blaze the 3's, Stockton would keep control of the game and keep the turnovers down (and his defense is severely underrated). '92 Dream Team > 2008 Redeem Team.

Now if you want to compare players as they are right now then compare the Dream Team if they were in their Prime. Bird/Magic/Jordan in their Prime? Magic at the PG, Jordan at the SG, Bird at the SF all in their primes would be the greatest backcourt in the history of the game. No one in today's game would stand a chance.

THE_LOGO
06-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I just watched the special on NBA TV and Mullin had a couple of simple bounce passes that led to dunks that you'd never see today. Mullin was considered their outside threat and him making those passes would make todays players dizzy. Then multiply that 1000 times with Magic's passes and today's players would blow their minds.

effen5
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
And the dream team had real centers, both unstoppable offenses and defenses, how many legit centers right now? D12? His offense is mediocre, Tyson? Offense is nonexistent...

koreancabbage
06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
He doesn't have a great post game though. Mjs post game is unguardable.

he doesn't have to have an amazing post game. I don't think Jordan or any of the older generation of players has ever played against a guy like Lebron or a KD.

no player comes to mind when you are trying to compare Lebron and KD with the older generation

effen5
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
he doesn't have to have an amazing post game. I don't think Jordan or any of the older generation of players has ever played against a guy like Lebron or a KD.

no player comes to mind when you are trying to compare Lebron and KD with the older generation

Okay and this generation has never played against legitimate centers. The centers in the old era would have a field day against this era.

Dankster
06-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm a huge boxing fan and many fans like to debate who would win in fights against pound for pound stalwarts from different eras which is completely unfair. Same can be said with pretty much every other sport and that's primarily due to the technological and medical advances that have skyrocketed in the past 20-25 years.

Thus, it's not fair comparing guys from different eras as those older era players would greatly benefit from such things as dieticians, new training methodologies with fitness and physio coaches, the airplanes rides to get to games, etc. It's mulitfactorial and way too many variables to even list.

Now the argument presented in this forum is a bit more fair because the generation gap is only minimal between these 2 Dream teams, roughly 20 years apart. But if anyone had the pleasure of watching those Dream team players play night in and night out (and not some youtube clips or single game classic videos,) I think the majoirty of posters here would believe that the current set of players would get demolished, and demolished pretty badly.

It's not even the fact that they'd be up against a PRIME backcourt in MJ and Stockton (Magic was a bit over the hill at this point,) but the major issue the 2012 team would have is at the Center position.

Wow, David Robinson and Pat Ewing are in another category compared to Dwight/whoever. Dwight gets 14 rpg because of the lack of center depth in the league currently. Had he played back than against guys like Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, and than later, O'neal, man I would have a hard time believing he'd be considered even a top 5 center. He wouldn't even look that good going against the middle tier centers who were extremely dominant defensively like Manut Bol or Mark Eaton. Dwight's rudimentary offensive skills has him definitely at a notch below those great Centers of the 80's/90's.

There's a huge advantage the 92 team has on this current team, their backcourt and the Center position. It's hard to argue against that especially if we consider the ages of the players of that specific team and the fact the majority were in their prime. Back than, they were just more skilled overall.

Hitman21
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
come talk to me when u got 11 HOFers on the same team again

KnickFanSince91
06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm a huge boxing fan and many fans like to debate who would win in fights against pound for pound stalwarts from different eras which is completely unfair. Same can be said with pretty much every other sport and that's primarily due to the technological and medical advances that have skyrocketed in the past 20-25 years.

Thus, it's not fair comparing guys from different eras as those older era players would greatly benefit from such things as dieticians, new training methodologies with fitness and physio coaches, the airplanes rides to get to games, etc. It's mulitfactorial and way too many variables to even list.

Now the argument presented in this forum is a bit more fair because the generation gap is only minimal between these 2 Dream teams, roughly 20 years apart. But if anyone had the pleasure of watching those Dream team players play night in and night out (and not some youtube clips or single game classic videos,) I think the majoirty of posters here would believe that the current set of players would get demolished, and demolished pretty badly.

It's not even the fact that they'd be up against a PRIME backcourt in MJ and Stockton (Magic was a bit over the hill at this point,) but the major issue the 2012 team would have is at the Center position.

Wow, David Robinson and Pat Ewing are in another category compared to Dwight/whoever. Dwight gets 14 rpg because of the lack of center depth in the league currently. Had he played back than against guys like Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, and than later, O'neal, man I would have a hard time believing he'd be considered even a top 5 center. He wouldn't even look that good going against the middle tier centers who were extremely dominant defensively like Manut Bol or Mark Eaton. Dwight's rudimentary offensive skills has him definitely at a notch below those great Centers of the 80's/90's.

There's a huge advantage the 92 team has on this current team, their backcourt and the Center position. It's hard to argue against that especially if we consider the ages of the players of that specific team and the fact the majority were in their prime. Back than, they were just more skilled overall.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll also add that because the original Dream Team played when hand checking was a part of the game, they would have a huge advantage whether this fictional game was played with or without the rule. You would also have to consider coaching and Daley would coach circles around coach K.

blams
06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
This is true.

J-Relo
06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
it would be a competitive game, but you have to give the edge to Dream Team

Bigbadmoffo
06-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Stupid disrespectful statement. The question is is who dominated there era more. Nobody is goons rub in the fact that Tyson would beat Ali I mean it's called evaluation. Dumb ignorant writer!

Yankees1115
06-21-2012, 04:34 PM

That is taking it way too far. There were so many huge talents on the Dream Team.