PDA

View Full Version : Report: Gerald Wallace opts out of contract; Becomes Free Agent

Fresno
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Gerald Wallace has told Nets officials that he will decline his $9.5 mil player option for next season and will become a free agent.
http://twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/212981773058056192

Rob Pelinka (Wallace's agent) tells me: "This doesn't mean Gerald won't be here next year, we will explore all our options, Gerald loves NY"
http://twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/212983861238435841

The Nets trade for Gerald Wallace is looking even worse now that he's opted out, meaning they possibly traded the #6 pick in the Draft for a rental player during a losing season.

gotoHcarolina52
06-13-2012, 06:45 PM
In before DISCOUNTED!!!!!!:jumpy:

llemon
06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
He stated months ago he was opting out of his contract.

Can you believe that Blazers got the 6th pick in the draft for a player they knew wasn't coming back, and from a team that was not even potential 2nd rd candidate.

heyman321
06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
all hail Prokhorov!

Max.This
06-13-2012, 06:47 PM
I just drove by the stadium yesterday after work. It would be nice if the nets could assemble a good team so I can watch a game without paying the ridiculous MSG tickets. So this means that the nets potentially lose a trade asset right? If so, things aren't looking good for the nets

knicksfan42
06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
He's almost definitely not re-signing with the Nets. 9.5 million is right around what he's worth (maybe a bit more than he's worth at this point) and I don't think he's going to get more than that. He didn't opt out for financial reasons unless he wants to see if the Nets will overpay, so it looks like he just wants to play for a different team.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
He may be Laker bound w/ Deron Williams for S&Ts.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Billy King:worthy:

llemon
He's almost definitely not re-signing with the Nets. 9.5 million is right around what he's worth (maybe a bit more than he's worth at this point) and I don't think he's going to get more than that. He didn't opt out for financial reasons unless he wants to see if the Nets will overpay, so it looks like he just wants to play for a different team.

He opted out because he wanted to sign a multi-year deal, and not risk
a serious injury in a contract year.

Nets almost have to overpay to try to justify trading a lottery pick for him.

waveycrockett

maybe pigs will fly

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
I think everyone including the Nets FO expected this hopefully this means he comes back at a more reasonable annual deal at like 7.5-8.5 per year on a 4 or 5 year deal with some vesting options and backloaded.

fadedmario
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Nets = Complete Failure!

llemon
06-13-2012, 06:53 PM

For Bynum and Gasol? King would consider that.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Nets = Complete Failure!

From word GO they knew this was going to be the case with G-Force.

RLundi
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM

No.

RipCity32
06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
That was a dumb trade regardless if he stays or goes.

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
For Bynum and Gasol? King would consider that.

Uh no, just Bynum.

JasonJohnHorn
06-13-2012, 06:58 PM
They still have his Bird rights, and if memory serves me right there are not a lot of teams under the cap this off season, so the Nets can still work a sign-and-trade, and can still sign him outright. They can offer more than any other team... and if they keep D-Will, well..... having Wallace, D-Will and Humphries in the starting line-up is a good start, and if Lopez can remember how to rebound then were are talking about a playoff team here. Not to mention they are still in trade talks for Dwight.

But yeah... trading for Wallace without an extention was a bone-headed move.

PleaseBeNice
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Good job Nets.

IndyRealist
06-13-2012, 07:02 PM
People have to remember that sign and trade deals are all but dead. Players have no incententive to take them anymore: you don't get the 5th year, you don't get the extra annual raises. Why rob your future team of assets to help out your former team?

You have to wonder who's making basketball decisions for the Nets....

netsgiantsyanks
06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
as a nets fan, I knew this eons ago. doesn't mean he won't sign with them, even though it is and always will be a pretty bad trade.

Cal827
06-13-2012, 07:06 PM
:laugh:

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Worst case if we dont end up with G-Force we end up with AK-47 who had a great year in Europe. Very similar players

RLundi
06-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Worst case if we dont end up with G-Force we end up with AK-47 who had a great year in Europe. Very similar players

In that case, the Nets could've just signed AK AND kept their draft pick.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 07:10 PM
as a nets fan, I knew this eons ago. doesn't mean he won't sign with them, even though it is and always will be a pretty bad trade.

So we traded Jared Sullinger or Terrance Jones for G-Force. I dont think it was THAT bad. And D-Will wants to play with G-Force way more than another lottery pick which is why the trade was made.

spreadeagle
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
LOL at nets fans who are hoping to resign him...ya signing Wallace to a 5 yr 50 million dollar deal is gunna take you guys to the top...regardless of the trade let him walk he is not worth more than 6 mil a yr

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 07:13 PM
In that case, the Nets could've just signed AK AND kept their draft pick.

Well we did it more as a gesture for DWill that we WILL NOT rebuild. Dwill did not want to play with another lottery pick he wants established vets here. I believe he said not even Anthony Davis intrigues him he wants vets here.

RLundi
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
So we traded Jared Sullinger or Terrance Jones for G-Force. I dont think it was THAT bad. And D-Will wants to play with G-Force way more than another lottery pick which is why the trade was made.

Lol illogical justification at its finest.

IndyRealist
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM

They're not similar at all. Wallace is a superb athlete who attacks the basket and gives up his body on every play. Kirilenko is a jump shooter with a decent post up game and is a premier defender. Their stats may be similar, but they play completely differently.

spreadeagle
06-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Da nile is more then a river in Egypt my friend, terrible trade regardless of if the pick is good. The pick could have got you a good player in a trade, with a longer contract

RLundi
06-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Well we did it more as a gesture for DWill that we WILL NOT rebuild. Dwill did not want to play with another lottery pick he wants established vets here. I believe he said not even Anthony Davis intrigues him he wants vets here.

I'm sorry, but this is the very definition of grasping at straws.

Management just made an atrocious decision that backfired immensely. Even when the trade was made, most people were puzzled. I'm sure D Will would rather play with a potential stud rookie (who knows) than an empty roster spot.

Through and through, this was a horrible trade and there's no getting around that.

D2theJ
06-13-2012, 07:21 PM
All Nets fans knew he was opting out and there's still a great chance he comes back. Was it a terrible trade? Probably, but all they can do now is hope they get Wallace back at a reasonable price and the person the Blazers pick ends up being a bust. Then the trade won't look so bad.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm sorry, but this is the very definition of grasping at straws.

Management just made an atrocious decision that backfired immensely. Even when the trade was made, most people were puzzled. I'm sure D Will would rather play with a potential stud rookie (who knows) than an empty roster spot.

Through and through, this was a horrible trade and there's no getting around that.

I dont think so. At the end of the day a developmental pick in Jared Sullinger/Terrance Jones for G-Force not the end of the world.

NYMetros
Billy King's a genius.

netsgiantsyanks

stop trying to justify it, it was still a crappy trade. i'd rather have a stud rookie rather than someone who is a good player, but can easily jet.

KingPosey
06-13-2012, 07:25 PM
He would look good in LA imo. He can provide some of the same things they lacked that Odom brought. Not everything, but he also brings things to the table that Odom didnt.

topdog
06-13-2012, 07:27 PM

Actually, I would say the 6th pick is the top talent border and 7th starts the uncertainty. We're talking about Davis, Beal, MKG, Robinson, Barnes and Drummond. One of those guys is going to be available at that pick.

Not to mention that if Williams did leave, the Nets would be better off with one of these guys than Wallace.

PhillyFaninLA
06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
To those of you calling the deal a failure you judge a deal at the time of the deal or contract not on what happens later.

The deal was a fair deal at the time so him opting out is irrelevant.

To many people say that guy we signed 3 years ago, or if we didn't trade for this guy 2 years ago then.......

Its all just excuses,. If its fair market value at the time its a fair deal.

RLundi
06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I dont think so. At the end of the day a developmental pick in Jared Sullinger/Terrance Jones for G-Force not the end of the world.

What it essentially boils down to is giving away a lottery pick FOR FREE. Who knows what can happen with the pick, but the Nets gave it away on the house. Terrible decision-making, no matter how you try to slice and dice it.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of Wallace, so let him go, who cares? If the Nets are still gonna go after Dwight, they need shooters to complement him. So in that respect, it isn't as terrible as if it were, say Gallinari or something. But giving away a lottery pick for nothing?

Yikes.

Jint.
06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
epic fail :laugh:

RLundi
06-13-2012, 07:34 PM
To those of you calling the deal a failure you judge a deal at the time of the deal or contract not on what happens later.

To many people say that guy we signed 3 years ago, or if we didn't trade for this guy 2 years ago then.......

Not a failure; a complete failure. At the time, at best, it was a head-scratcher. When the deal was initially made, many were puzzled and couldn't understand the rationalization but hoped it would all work itself out somehow.

It hasn't.

It was a bad trade at the time but now it's just abysmal.

gatkins11
06-13-2012, 07:41 PM

:laugh2:

NYMetros
06-13-2012, 07:43 PM

I think you and Billy King are the only 2 people that thought it was a good trade at the time.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Actually, I would say the 6th pick is the top talent border and 7th starts the uncertainty. We're talking about Davis, Beal, MKG, Robinson, Barnes and Drummond. One of those guys is going to be available at that pick.

Not to mention that if Williams did leave, the Nets would be better off with one of these guys than Wallace.

With the exception of Drummond and MKG none of those guys are going to fall out of the top-5 and Drummond and MKG are raw and wont do anything for us. Drummonds stock is slipping, falling into Thabeet/D.Jordan territory more importantly those guys wont do anything for the next 3 for 4 years which doesn't help the plan now.

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
he will resign with the nets, prob 4 year 30million dollars or something like that

KnicksorBust
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
S&T to the Knicks with Morrow to get Amar'e Stoudemire.

JerseysFinest
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
This was expected, really isn't news.

The deal wasn't the best, but it's happened already. Can't change what's in the past. Time to move on from it. If Deron re-signs, not a single person will be discussing this.

RLundi
06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
he will resign with the nets, prob 4 year 30million dollars or something like that

He opted out of a $10M season to resign for $7M per season? Does that make sense? Don't you think he could have just played the season, earned his $10M and then resigned for 4 years, $30M next summer?

Either he's opting out to get MORE money from the Nets, or he just wants to get away from the Nets.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I think you and Billy King are the only 2 people that thought it was a good trade at the time.

really because it's not much different at all then when the C's traded the #3 overall pick for Ray Allen.

gatkins11
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM

The deal wasn't the best, but it's happened already. Can't change what's in the past. Time to move on from it. If Deron re-signs, not a single person will be discussing this.

Exactly.

JerseysFinest
06-13-2012, 07:50 PM

GiantsSwaGG
06-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Good effort Nets

Bruno
06-13-2012, 07:57 PM
ouch.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM
He opted out of a $10M season to resign for $7M per season? Does that make sense? Don't you think he could have just played the season, earned his $10M and then resigned for 4 years, $30M next summer?

Either he's opting out to get MORE money from the Nets, or he just wants to get away from the Nets.

Are you serious? Every player who is still half decent opts out of the final year of there deal for more money on their final contract. What world do you live in?

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Are you serious? Every player who is still half decent opts out of the final year of there deal for more money on their final contract. What world do you live in?

this, better to have 30mil guaranteed than 10mil. plus who knows, he plays the final year, gets injured...

D2theJ
06-13-2012, 08:02 PM

You're probably right but Wallace may take less money if he gets 4 years given his age and injuries. And maybe if he wants to win he'll take less to put together a better team who knows what his thought process is. I think he's gonna want 4 years 40 million, and I think 4 years for him could be a big mistake come year 3 of that contract.

D12 fan
06-13-2012, 08:02 PM

Nobody wants Amare.:facepalm:

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Nobody wants Amare.:facepalm:

this.

ThunderousDemon
06-13-2012, 08:06 PM
maybe pigs will fly

You mean,"When pigs fly", right?

ThunderousDemon
06-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Amare is boozer #2, nobody is going to want to trade for him

netsgiantsyanks
06-13-2012, 08:10 PM

lol no.

GiantsSwaGG
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Anybody justifying this trade is a homer

NYMetros
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
really because it's not much different at all then when the C's traded the #3 overall pick for Ray Allen.

It's completely different. :laugh2:

fadedmario
06-13-2012, 08:13 PM

Nets are going to be pathetic for a LONG time.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 08:15 PM
It's completely different. :laugh2:

IF/When he re-signs it really isnt. 4 years down the road nobody will remember/care that the Nets traded potentially Jared Sullinger or Terrance Jones for a guy who is still relatively in his prime and borderline allstar.

arkanian215
06-13-2012, 08:17 PM
0a

GiantsSwaGG
06-13-2012, 08:22 PM
IF/When he re-signs it really isnt. 4 years down the road nobody will remember/care that the Nets traded potentially Jared Sullinger or Terrance Jones for a guy who is still relatively in his prime and borderline allstar.

:facepalm:G Force isn't even that good anymore, and if that's ya second option, then enjoy mediocrity.

You're a homer for justifying the trade, noone should take your post seriously

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 08:25 PM
:facepalm:G Force isn't even that good anymore, and if that's ya second option, then enjoy mediocrity.

You're a homer for justifying the trade, noone should take your post seriously

Yeah he is terrible. Washed up at 29. :facepalm:

dtmagnet
06-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Ray Allen was an all-star who was locked up. Are you really that blind as to try and justify this trade? Whatever, since my team is in the same division as yours I'll enjoy the fact that the Nets will be in the basement for many years to come.

fadedmario
06-13-2012, 08:29 PM
The Nets will be the WORST team in the league for at least the next 2-3 years. Also have hands-down the most boring roster in the league. If they lose Deron, is that the worst roster of all-time? If not, it's close.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Ray Allen was an all-star who was locked up. Are you really that blind as to try and justify this trade? Whatever, since my team is in the same division as yours I'll enjoy the fact that the Nets will be in the basement for many years to come.

Honestly Wallace is a very good player/29 years old/former allstar if whoever we dealt at 6 becomes better than him down the road you can chalk it up for yourself but I DOUBT it. And we maybe in the basement but your team still catches L's to us even with a depleted roster lol.

fadedmario
06-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Honestly Wallace is a very good player/29 years old/former allstar if whoever we dealt at 6 becomes better than him down the road you can chalk it up for yourself but I DOUBT it. And we maybe in the basement but your team still catches L's to us even with a depleted roster lol.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible. You are embarrassing yourself. :facepalm:

NYMetros
06-13-2012, 08:33 PM

You think Wallace puts the Nets over the top and makes them legit title contenders like how getting Ray Allen did with the Celtics? Nuts.

knicksfan42
06-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah he is terrible. Washed up at 29. :facepalm:

30 in July. He's probably declining a bit, but Wallace is still good. The point is that him opting out means the Nets literally threw away a draft pick. If the reason he is opting out is to get a lengthy contract then he would have opted out as a Blazer and the Nets could just have signed him this offseason while still retaining their draft pick.

JerseysFinest
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
The Nets will be the WORST team in the league for at least the next 2-3 years. Also have hands-down the most boring roster in the league. If they lose Deron, is that the worst roster of all-time? If not, it's close.

ok.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
You think Wallace puts the Nets over the top and makes them legit title contenders like how getting Ray Allen did with the Celtics? Nuts.

You just put a whole lot of words in my mouth.

Toxeryll
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
dumb trade

JerseysFinest
06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Nets are going to be pathetic for a LONG time.

I'm very curious, what are you basing this off of?

Gritz
06-13-2012, 08:39 PM
He's going back to Charlotte, I just asked him

Gritz
06-13-2012, 08:40 PM

The name on the front of their jerseys

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 08:42 PM
30 in July. He's probably declining a bit, but Wallace is still good. The point is that him opting out means the Nets literally threw away a draft pick. If the reason he is opting out is to get a lengthy contract then he would have opted out as a Blazer and the Nets could just have signed him this offseason while still retaining their draft pick.

If he does leave so be it and it's BAD deal, at the time we did it to send a message to our star similar to when Knicks gave Amar'e the Max when no one else would think about it. Him being a Net for a while and getting acclimated to NY gives us a chance we otherwise would not have had if we didn't trade for him not to mention we've had a headstart in contract negotiations.

JerseysFinest
06-13-2012, 08:43 PM
The name on the front of their jerseys

Brooklyn? :eyebrow:

dtmagnet
06-13-2012, 08:44 PM

How are you not getting this, it doesn't matter if the player at 6 is better than him or not. You aren't keeping Wallace so you gave away a valuable asset for NOTHING. Even if Wallace does re-sign you think thats enough to convince Deron Williams to stay?

NYMetros
06-13-2012, 08:44 PM
You just put a whole lot of words in my mouth.

Then explain how this trade was similar to the Ray Allen one.

onlythisfar41
06-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Well thats rough as hell. I mean I hate the Nets, but you have to feel sorry for them here.

fadedmario
06-13-2012, 08:46 PM

Your roster.

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
How are you not getting this, it doesn't matter if the player at 6 is better than him or not. You aren't keeping Wallace so you gave away a valuable asset for NOTHING. Even if Wallace does re-sign you think thats enough to convince Deron Williams to stay?

Really, the fortune telling must come in real handy with the power ball lol.

IndiansFan337
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Just made that trade look even worse, regardless of whether he re signs....Because to keep him they will have to offer up 3-4 years at $8-10 million per year.

RLundi
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
this, better to have 30mil guaranteed than 10mil. plus who knows, he plays the final year, gets injured...

Common sense eludes this foolish logic.

He's not gonna opt out to take LESS MONEY IN A BAD SITUATION.

First of all, players rarely opt out to take less money unless they're older, as in the next contract will be their last, or they'er planning on re-signing and they want to give their franchise a discount. None of that applies to Wallace, are you kidding me?

He's not gonna opt out and re-sign for less money unless the Nets give him like a 5-year deal. As it stands, he's still probably a $9-$10M a year player. 3 years at $28 is not happening with Brooklyn.

Get real. Either you pony up the dough or he's gone, but don't delude yourself into thinking he's opting out to take $3M less per year to stay with a losing franchise with so much uncertainty and mismanagement. Same reason why Jameer Nelson is opting out.

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM

First of all, players rarely opt out to take less money unless they're older, as in the next contract will be their last, or they'er planning on re-signing and they want to give their franchise a discount. None of that applies to Wallace, are you kidding me?

He's not gonna opt out and re-sign for less money unless the Nets give him like a 5-year deal. As it stands, he's still probably a $9-$10M a year player. 3 years at $28 is not happening with Brooklyn.

Get real. Either you pony up the dough or he's gone, but don't delude yourself into thinking he's opting out to take $3M less per year to stay with a losing franchise with so much uncertainty and mismanagement. Same reason why Jameer Nelson is opting out.

Couldn't be more wrong.

Sandman
06-13-2012, 09:00 PM

That all depends on what you mean by "more money". The value on these guys isn't rising, they've both peaked. They will both get more money in a long term deal this year than they would next year, but probably at a lower per year amount than the option they declined.

DLCK
06-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Allen was still a top 20 player at the time and they actually had a championship nucleus. I dont get why your going to great lengths to rationalize this:facepalm:

GiantsSwaGG
06-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Okay you're a homer who obviously doesn't get the point, why trade for a player that you could of easily signed in the offseason :facepalm: you gave away a draft pick for nothing

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Okay you're a homer who obviously doesn't get the point, why trade for a player that you could of easily signed in the offseason :facepalm: you gave away a draft pick for nothing

I'm a homer your a hater. 1 hand washes the other.

knicksfan42
06-13-2012, 09:25 PM
If he does leave so be it and it's BAD deal, at the time we did it to send a message to our star similar to when Knicks gave Amar'e the Max when no one else would think about it. Him being a Net for a while and getting acclimated to NY gives us a chance we otherwise would not have had if we didn't trade for him not to mention we've had a headstart in contract negotiations.

Whether he leaves or doesn't leave doesn't matter at all. The point is that you could have gotten him this offseason without trading a draft pick. The point is that you just threw away a draft pick away for nothing, literally nothing. Doesn't send any message to your star except that your FO is run by a bunch of inept buffoons.

Your acclimated to NY bit is ******** and doesn't in any way effect his decision on whether he wishes to remain a Net or not. Heck you guys were still in NJ this season, so all Wallace was getting acclimated to was probably the worst home crowd in the NBA.

scaramantula
06-13-2012, 09:33 PM
raps looking for a sf, he could fit our roster, probably not a very good chance he'll sign here though.
he probably wants to go to a for sure contender

LA_Raiders
06-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Lol, thats what happen when management doesnt know much about the sport... A Russian and a rapper?

NYsFinest
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Gerald Wallace has opted out of his contract and is officially a unrestricted free agent... the Nets traded a high lottery pick for 20 meaningless games from Wallace. WORST TRADE IN NBA HISTORY.... this got the Nets literally nothing, they didnt even shed a bad contract in the process. They just GAVE away that pick....

b@llhog24
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Its already been posted.

YanksGmenBKNets
06-13-2012, 09:55 PM
A lot of you guys need to educate yourselves a little better. My God the stupidity here is beyond amazing. The fact of the matter is Deron Williams told Billy King he wanted Gerald Wallace, so Billy King made the trade, yes it wasn't the best trade but he did it to show DWill his commitment to building a contender.

King knew Wallace would likely opt out before making the trade. But by making the trade it highly increased their chances of signing him in the offseason. Plus if you watched the nets with Wallace this year you would have seen how much of a better team he made them. Wallace apparently before the trade had no interest in signing with the Nets this offseason, now he's gotten to know the nets management and has stated numerous times he wants to resign.

Anyway the fact is it's to early to tell whether or not this was a bad trade. If Deron Williams and Gerald Wallace both resign with the Nets then there's no way you can classify this as a bad trade. If one of both of them leave then yes this was a horrible trade.

njnets
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
he wants a multiyear deal. nets will overpay to try and justify the trade.

i like g force, just not sure for how many years and the $ of it.

NYsFinest
06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
To thw Nets fans who justify the trade with the stupid logic of... its only the 6th pick theres noone good at 6.... I have a question for you.

Is it fair to say the Nets would have had at least 1-2 more losses if they didnt have Wallace this year? If so isnt it logical to assume that the pick would be higher? (Hornets had 1 more loss btw)

How can you say this wasnt a bad trade when they literally have NOTHING to show for it. All that got them was a few meaningless wins and the inside track on an average free agent that they are now going to overpay to try to have something to show for that pick.

NYsFinest
06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
LOL at Nets fans making a big deal about "getting Wallace acclimated to NY" as if hes some big time free agent that needs Lebron like courting. Hes 30 years old barely a top 50 in the NB, he will go where the money is... the nets could have thrown a ridiculous contract at him in the summer regardless.

jmoney85
06-13-2012, 10:17 PM
the nets made the trade to get his bird rights for cap reasons... having his bird rights allow us to save the cap space for other players... that reason alone makes it a good trade

jmoney85
06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
and do we really need 2 threads about something that has been known for weeks now?

Vinylman
06-13-2012, 10:21 PM

i would be shocked if he got more than 3X $7.5 million ... He turn 30 in a month

These are the type of players that are gonna get screwed by the new cba... it is actually gonna be funny to watch when they don't get the deals they think they are gonna get

llemon
06-13-2012, 10:24 PM

And NOT rebuilding is a good thing?

Vinylman
06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
That all depends on what you mean by "more money". The value on these guys isn't rising, they've both peaked. They will both get more money in a long term deal this year than they would next year, but probably at a lower per year amount than the option they declined.

bingo

again, people just aren't understanding the impact of the new cba

NYsFinest
06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Werent the Nets able to give him 3 years 30 mill extension if he opted in?? Does he expect more?

llemon
06-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Nets might have actually gotten the 1st pick if not for the Crash trade.

IAmARanger18
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
This was bound to happen.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM

I can't wait till the "next 2-3 years" proves dude's statement to be incredibly wrong on all levels

llemon
06-13-2012, 10:35 PM
s&t to the knicks with morrow to get amar'e stoudemire.

no!!!!!!!!!

jmoney85
06-13-2012, 10:38 PM
not even billy king is dumb enough for that trade

ChitownBears22
06-13-2012, 10:40 PM
no!!!!!!!!!

Oh god. Another Amare trade idea. Here is a hint for you people, his talent and his contract make him untradeable. He will be in NY forever.

jmoney85
06-13-2012, 10:51 PM
worst trade in nba history?... you're telling me kobe bryant for vlade divac isnt the worst? net hater much?

and yes we did shed a bad contract... shawne williams

llemon
06-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Is that what you actually think?

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
really?

llemon
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
I can't wait till the "next 2-3 years" proves dude's statement to be incredibly wrong on all levels

And if he is correct, what happens?

JerseyPalahniuk
06-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Gerald Wallace has opted out of his contract and is officially a unrestricted free agent... the Nets traded a high lottery pick for 20 meaningless games from Wallace. WORST TRADE IN NBA HISTORY.... this got the Nets literally nothing, they didnt even shed a bad contract in the process. They just GAVE away that pick....

wait till Amare's knees give out. You'll be calling that one of worst free agent contracts of decade (even though that might be a slight exxageration its a lot better than WORST TRADE IN NBA HISTORY OMG)

and by the way the Nets organization and their fanbase expected him to opt out months ago. Nothing new here. He will be back

waveycrockett
06-13-2012, 10:57 PM
]wait till Amare's knees give out. You'll be calling that one of worst free agent contracts of decade[/B] (even though that might be a slight exxageration its a lot better than WORST TRADE IN NBA HISTORY OMG)

and by the way the Nets organization and their fanbase expected him to opt out months ago. Nothing new here. He will be back

:clap:

ChitownBears22
06-13-2012, 10:59 PM
we landed on the moon!!!!

Metsboi69
06-13-2012, 11:02 PM
This was expected months ago, I'm still assuming he resigns hopefully for nothing more than 3/24, but well see. The trade was awful, but calling it the worst trade though is pretty insane. This coming from someone who doesn't very much like Billy King.

greg_ory_2005
You liar.

D12 fan
The sky is light blue,with puffy white clouds.

JerseyPalahniuk
And if he is correct, what happens?

what do you mean what happens? then I was wrong.

I think it's highly implausible that this new team with all the work Billy King and company are putting in would allow the Nets to be the "worst team in league for the next 2-3 years" If this was BEFORE the move to Brooklyn I wouldn't disagree (which is what happened basically) but we are not in rebuilding mode anymore

Oldmantrash
06-13-2012, 11:09 PM

There are only a few of us Nets fans that think it was a good trade.

I remember throwing up in my mouth a little when I first heard about it, didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.

It was simply a panic move when Howard opted in.

The goods
06-13-2012, 11:37 PM
They'll end up over paying for him or they'll lost their second best player and their high first round.

The goods
06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Even if they keep him it doesn't make them that much better,it was a horrible trade.

ldawg
06-14-2012, 12:01 AM
who made these trades. If both William and Wallace leave this will make some bold mistakes and this GM will be looking for a new job.

llemon
06-14-2012, 12:06 AM
but we are not in rebuilding mode anymore

Rebuilding mode????

Nets have been in destruction mode since Proky bought the team.

jmoney85
06-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Even if they keep him it doesn't make them that much better,it was a horrible trade.

as a laker fan im 99% sure you didnt watch one game from when the nets traded for geforce... he completely changed our team... if he resigns this is a trade the nets should win depending on who the blazers pick and what he ends up doing in the nba

llemon
06-14-2012, 01:20 AM
as a laker fan im 99% sure you didnt watch one game from when the nets traded for geforce... he completely changed our team... if he resigns this is a trade the nets should win depending on who the blazers pick and what he ends up doing in the nba

Again I have to ask.

You do realize Nets could have kept the pick and signed Crash too, right?

0nekhmer
06-14-2012, 01:34 AM
so what did they trade for D Will again? like 3 of their next first round picks? and NOW they lost this years pick for nothing? holay ****

jmoney85
06-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Again I have to ask.

You do realize Nets could have kept the pick and signed Crash too, right?

and again I have to explain

if they would have signed crash they would not have his bird rights which gives them flexibility to sign other people and then ink crash to go over the cap

LongWayFromHome
06-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Good job Nets.

Good effort.

metswon69
06-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Who would have imagined he wanted to leave the almighty Brooklyn Nets?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2012, 06:57 AM
one of the worst trades ever.

High draft pick in deep draft just down the drain smh

Fresno
06-14-2012, 07:12 AM
and again I have to explain

if they would have signed crash they would not have his bird rights which gives them flexibility to sign other people and then ink crash to go over the cap
Wrong. You obviously don't know about the salary cap.

There are cap holds to keep teams from doing exactly as you suggest.

Gerald Wallace has a cap hold of $14,250,000 to keep his bird rights. The Nets must renounce his cap hold in order for them to create $9 Million in Cap Space which was Wallace's salary to spend elsewhere.

Here's the choices

1. Nets keep his cap hold and negotiate immediately with Wallace to a deal that suits what he wants in a longterm deal so they don't have that $14 Million cap hold keeping them from making other moves. For example, as soon as Wallace signs a 4 Year/$20 Million contract, the $14 Million cap hold disappears and Wallace now only counts $5 Million to the cap.

2. Nets keep his cap hold in hopes of working out a deal with him after they get confirmation on what D-Will does and Wallace screws them by signing a contract immediately with another team he feels comfortable with.

3. Nets renounce his cap hold and spend their money on another player instead of Wallace.

The Nets are screwed either way.

Weezy
06-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Good luck Brooklyn.

celtNYpatsHeels
06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
The nets only have like 3 players under contract for next year. They will overspend to keep Wallace. Cmon they traded a top 7 pick to get him, they will keep him even if it means giving him $5-10 mil more than his market value.

MagicHero3
06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
lol i wonder what happened to all those net fans i used to see on here during the Dwight Howard trade rumors? i feel like they all... disappeared! this news doesnt help either.

DeRaptor95
06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Come to toronto! We need a wing player!!!

jtrinaldi
06-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Nets = Complete Failure!
nope...they still won a few games. 0-16 = Complete Failure

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
he essentially turned down 3 years 30.4 million that the Nets could have offered if he opted in.

Question for non Net fans:

Would you want Gerald Wallace on your team for more than 3 years 30.4 million even if it meant not giving up anything?!

aussie
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
you blind? there is one already up.....

Metsboi69
06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
he essentially turned down 3 years 30.4 million that the Nets could have offered if he opted in.

Question for non Net fans:

Would you want Gerald Wallace on your team for more than 3 years 30.4 million even if it meant not giving up anything?!

While I'm a Net fan no, and the Nets would have to offer him that 30.4 which I haven't seen anywhere. 3/24 given the situation seems fair for both parties.

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
wait till Amare's knees give out. You'll be calling that one of worst free agent contracts of decade (even though that might be a slight exxageration its a lot better than WORST TRADE IN NBA HISTORY OMG)

Amar'es knees are fine and theres only 3 years left on his deal, no reason to think they give in this year or even next since he has not had any issues with them in 3-4 years.

As for the Kobe trade... it is completely different. It turned out worse, but the trade at the time was not bad. Kobe was the 13th pick that refused to play in a small city and Vlade was a very solid Center. In this case the Nets gave away the 6TH (would have been higher if they had not made the trade) for NOTHING. One trade is only terrible if you see the future, the other makes ZERO sense now.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Amar'es knees are fine and theres only 3 years left on his deal, no reason to think they give in this year or even next since he has not had any issues with them in 3-4 years.

As for the Kobe trade... it is completely different. It turned out worse, but the trade at the time was not bad. Kobe was the 13th pick that refused to play in a small city and Vlade was a very solid Center. In this case the Nets gave away the 6TH (would have been higher if they had not made the trade) for NOTHING. One trade is only terrible if you see the future, the other makes ZERO sense now.

-"Only 3 years left" Yeah 3 years isn't long at all?
-Any issues in 3-4 years? Well 4 seasons ago he played 53 games. Last year, it wasn't the knees per say but he played 47/66 games. He is already 29 might I add
-He will be making 19.4 mil next season, 21.4 the year after that. and 23.5 in year 3 (player option that if would most likely pick up... who doesn't?). I'm not saying you necessarily but there are A LOT of knicks fans on this forum and other places talking about trading Amare away. They know his contract is bad. I'm very happy Prokhorov/King didn't decide to offer a max contract to someone like Amare/Lee/Bosh in that crazy off-season last year

So the Kobe trade doesn't count because "at the time it wasn't bad"? Can you wait and see at least one season before completely dismissing it?

I know it was a bad trade - I consider myself a rational Nets fan but you can't say it was 6th pick for "NOTHING." Dwill has said himself he wanted impact now veterans. Our small forward position before Gwallace and Green acquisitions was the WORST in the NBA - I am not embarrassed to admit that in anyway - look it up. His trade was a HUGE upgraded. His defense and constant energy was exactly what this young Nets team needs. You say that we got nothing for the 6th pick? People argue that "oh you could have just signed him as a free agent this year"

Gerald wallace was raised in Alabama, went to Alabama for college. He played 7 years on in CHARLOTTE and 2 in Portland. In interviews he has described himself as a southern, low-key kind of guy. I obviously don't know him myself but do you really think this type of guy would want to transition to BROOKLYN, NEW YORK? Again the trade showed Deron that we are committed to building a supporting veteran cast around him. He has denied any claims about "Dwight or bust" but even if that maybe the case - do you know what one of the trade ideas was earlier in the season? Three team trade between Orlando, Brooklyn, Portland sending both Lopez and Wallace to the Magic. You think Billy King didn't have that in the back (or front) of his mind?

All I'm saying is just wait for this off-season to be over before making a statement that this is "THE WORST TRADE EVER"

JerseyPalahniuk
06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Rebuilding mode????

Nets have been in destruction mode since Proky bought the team.

way to be rational. nets would love to lose games in Brooklyn and (lots of) money in the process. Good call man!

jp611
06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
He will resign, not as bad of a deal as everyone is making it out to be, not a good deal but I'm sure he'll be back with a friendly deal

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
-"Only 3 years left" Yeah 3 years isn't long at all?
-Any issues in 3-4 years? Well 4 seasons ago he played 53 games. Last year, it wasn't the knees per say but he played 47/66 games. He is already 29 might I add
-He will be making 19.4 mil next season, 21.4 the year after that. and 23.5 in year 3 (player option that if would most likely pick up... who doesn't?). I'm not saying you necessarily but there are A LOT of knicks fans on this forum and other places talking about trading Amare away. They know his contract is bad. I'm very happy Prokhorov/King didn't decide to offer a max contract to someone like Amare/Lee/Bosh in that crazy off-season last year

So the Kobe trade doesn't count because "at the time it wasn't bad"? Can you wait and see at least one season before completely dismissing it?

I know it was a bad trade - I consider myself a rational Nets fan but you can't say it was 6th pick for "NOTHING." Dwill has said himself he wanted impact now veterans. Our small forward position before Gwallace and Green acquisitions was the WORST in the NBA - I am not embarrassed to admit that in anyway - look it up. His trade was a HUGE upgraded. His defense and constant energy was exactly what this young Nets team needs. You say that we got nothing for the 6th pick? People argue that "oh you could have just signed him as a free agent this year"

Gerald wallace was raised in Alabama, went to Alabama for college. He played 7 years on in CHARLOTTE and 2 in Portland. In interviews he has described himself as a southern, low-key kind of guy. I obviously don't know him myself but do you really think this type of guy would want to transition to BROOKLYN, NEW YORK? Again the trade showed Deron that we are committed to building a supporting veteran cast around him. He has denied any claims about "Dwight or bust" but even if that maybe the case - do you know what one of the trade ideas was earlier in the season? Three team trade between Orlando, Brooklyn, Portland sending both Lopez and Wallace to the Magic. You think Billy King didn't have that in the back (or front) of his mind?

All I'm saying is just wait for this off-season to be over before making a statement that this is "THE WORST TRADE EVER"

Yes only 3 years left considering that his knees are not giving him trouble right now. If he was having knee problems now I would agree with you that the Knicks screwed themselves. Amar'e missed a lot of games 4 years ago because he almost lost his eye... not relevant to his knees. This year it was a back injury (less severe than the one the star that the Nets are drooling over had). There is no reason to believe he will have knee problems this year, so if anything happens down the road it wont be on his 3 year 60 million dollar contract. If something (hopefully not) happens in 1.5-2 years he will be an expiring contract. Amar'e made the Knicks a playoff team and speculating on the possibility of him having knee problems later in his career when his deal is significantly shorter is pointless.

The Kobe trade at least made sense at the time, just like picking Oden over Durant made sense. Some things just don't work out even if its the logical thing. Its not the same as making a deal that doesn't make sense from the start.

As for trying to reason the trade by saying it will convince Wallace to stay, lets not pretend like he is a Lebron-type FA which teams will be fighting over. He is going to get his last decent deal this summer and he will go where the money is. The Nets could have thrown in a few extra million if he did not want to go there initially, potentially saving a few million to convince a B level player to come to your team is not worth a lottery pick. There will be plenty of Wallace type players available in FA or via trade that making this move is not necessary.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes only 3 years left considering that his knees are not giving him trouble right now. If he was having knee problems now I would agree with you that the Knicks screwed themselves. Amar'e missed a lot of games 4 years ago because he almost lost his eye... not relevant to his knees. This year it was a back injury (less severe than the one the star that the Nets are drooling over had). There is no reason to believe he will have knee problems this year, so if anything happens down the road it wont be on his 3 year 60 million dollar contract. If something (hopefully not) happens in 1.5-2 years he will be an expiring contract. Amar'e made the Knicks a playoff team and speculating on the possibility of him having knee problems later in his career when his deal is significantly shorter is pointless.

As for trying to reason the trade by saying it will convince Wallace to stay, lets not pretend like he is a Lebron-type FA which teams will be fighting over. He is going to get his last decent deal this summer and he will go where the money is. The Nets could have thrown in a few extra million if he did not want to go there initially, potentially saving a few million to convince a B level player to come to your team is not worth a lottery pick. There will be plenty of Wallace type players available in FA or via trade that making this move is not necessary.

Okay now I agree with you. "not necessary" is a lot different from worst trade in NBA history. Again, I didn't think it was a good trade but people in this thread are exaggerating

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Only reasoning I can see for the trade is if they took a gamble on winning the top 3 pick.

Had they won it, this trade would look very good. They would be able to trade a top 3 pick with Lopez for Howard and then have a core of Deron, Wallace and Howard. However, gambling your teams future on a 25% chance is absurd.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Only reasoning I can see for the trade is if they took a gamble on winning the top 3 pick.

Had they won it, this trade would look very good. They would be able to trade a top 3 pick with Lopez for Howard and then have a core of Deron, Wallace and Howard. However, gambling your teams future on a 25% chance is absurd.

They did not expect to win the lottery. Billy King wanted impact players and his rationale was that he (and his scouts) only saw 3 impact players in the lottery at the time. Again bad trade still but they did not expect to win the lottery.

llemon
06-14-2012, 11:54 AM

The trade for Wallace made it less likely the Nets would get a top three pick.

soundjunkies2
06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
I think this was expected. I heard he opted out to sign a mutli year contract with them.

llemon
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
I think this was expected. I heard he opted out to sign a mutli year contract with them.

I believe Wallace will sign with whoever offers the best contract.

It should be the Nets because Billy King has forced his own hand. He will have to overpay Crash, and I don't believe Wallace will worth the money he will get.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
The draft pick is already lost, what's done is done. It would be terrible to throw extra money at this guy just because they made a bad trade for him. The pick is a sunk cost, it should have no bearing on the money they offer Wallace.

llemon
06-14-2012, 12:19 PM
The draft pick is already lost, what's done is done. It would be terrible to throw extra money at this guy just because they made a bad trade for him. The pick is a sunk cost, it should have no bearing on the money they offer Wallace.

Unfortunately, it will have a bearing.

smith&wesson
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
dumb move by g.wallace if you ask me. he isnt going to get 9.5 mil from another team with this new cba...

he should have played the final year, collected his money and then enetered free agency.

llemon
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
dumb move by g.wallace if you ask me. he isnt going to get 9.5 mil from another team with this new cba...

he should have played the final year, collected his money and then enetered free agency.

The way Crash plays the game, his value could go down considerably very quickly

Punk
06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
He will resign, not as bad of a deal as everyone is making it out to be, not a good deal but I'm sure he'll be back with a friendly deal

The goal was Deron, Wallace, Dwight as the core. Trading away the pick means if somehow Orlando accepts the Nets package, they would have had to move Wallace for Turk to make the salary work.

So basically, him opting out = No Dwight trade.

llemon
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
The goal was Deron, Wallace, Dwight as the core. Trading away the pick means if somehow Orlando accepts the Nets package, they would have had to move Wallace for Turk to make the salary work.

So basically, him opting out = No Dwight trade.

Nets could S&T Crash, or renounce him and send the capspace to Orlando in the trade.

Punk
06-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Nets could S&T Crash, or renounce him and send the capspace to Orlando in the trade.

Yeah but he as an expiring contract is more attractive. Orlando wouldn't to S&T him and Lopez.

But maybe I'm Wrong. Orlando loves to sign bad contracts lol.

llemon
06-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah but he as an expiring contract is more attractive. Orlando wouldn't to S&T him and Lopez.

But maybe I'm Wrong. Orlando loves to sign bad contracts lol.

Capspace is better than an expiring contract.

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM

I think Wallace didn't pick up his 3/30 option because he doesn't want to be used as a trade piece. I doubt Wallace agrees to a S&T to Orlando when he is a FA. Lopez and Humphries, just like Wallace, would need to agree as well. This is what makes the trade with Orlando nearly impossible. I don't see any free agent allowing the Nets to trade them to the arguably worst team in the NBA when they have the power to choose where they want to go for the same money. Aside from those guys, the Nets can't even offer their pick next year and MarShon is the only player that has any semblence of value under contract. They have less pieces for Dwight than the Knicks had for Paul, and we all know how that ended.

llemon
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I think Wallace didn't pick up his 3/30 option because he doesn't want to be used as a trade piece. I doubt Wallace agrees to a S&T to Orlando when he is a FA. Lopez and Humphries, just like Wallace, would need to agree as well. This is what makes the trade with Orlando nearly impossible. I don't see any free agent allowing the Nets to trade them to the arguably worst team in the NBA when they have the power to choose where they want to go for the same money. Aside from those guys, the Nets can't even offer their pick next year and MarShon is the only player that has an semblence of value under contract. They have less pieces for Dwight than the Knicks had for Paul, and we all know how that ended.

And I think Wallace won't mind being used as a trade piece, so long as he gets the money he wants.

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 01:17 PM
And I think Wallace won't mind being used as a trade piece, so long as he gets the money he wants.

What incentive does he have to help the Nets? If he wants to play in orlando he can sign for the same exact money with them without having them trade players away. Or he can pick a more desirable destination, he is a UFA not RFA.

Since Nets fans claim this trade had to be made to sway Wallace to fall in love with the Nets, that suggests he will have other offers that are similar out there. Whats to say he wont go to a team that plans on keeping him? If the Nets are willing to pay more than the market value for him in order to trade him... what's the point of trading for him to begin with?! They could have overpaid him regardless where he finished the season.

Please give me one reason Wallace would want to be a trade piece. Why sign a deal with the Nets and let them try to trade you and lose all control of your future, when you can hand pick where you want to go.

llemon
06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
What incentive does he have to help the Nets? If he wants to play in orlando he can sign for the same exact money with them without having them trade players away. Or he can pick a more desirable destination.

Since Nets fans claim this trade had to be made to sway Wallace to fall in love with the Nets, that suggests he will have other offers that are similar out there. Whats to say he wont go to a team that plans on keeping him? If the Nets are willing to pay more than the market value for him in order to trade him... what's the point of trading for him to begin with?!

Again, his incentive is...........money.

If the S&T money is the money he wants, what would he care where he played. The guy is going to consider re-signing with the Nets if the money is right.

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Again, his incentive is...........money.

If the S&T money is the money he wants, what would he care where he played. The guy is going to consider re-signing with the Nets if the money is right.

Why can't a team with cap space offer him the money he wants? Nets can't give him extra years or extra money that other teams can't... this isn't the same thing as what happened with Melo.

Nets fans made it sound like he is a desirable FA that needed 2 months in a Nets uni to convince him to go there. Unless you are saying that no other team with cap space will offer him that money... which makes this the most useless trade ever.

For example say Toronto offers the same money as the Nets, but Wallace knows the Nets want to trade him to Orlando. Why would he not just consider Toronto?? Its a better situation and city than Orlando and he wouldn't have the uncertainty of being traded.

Pretty much any team in the NBA is a better destination than Dwightless Orlando at this point. So again, what can the Nets give Wallace that other teams can't that would give him the incentive to sign on as a trade piece.

llemon
06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Why can't a team with cap space offer him the money he wants? Nets can't give him extra years or extra money that other teams can't... this isn't the same thing as what happened with Melo.

Nets fans made it sound like he is a desirable FA that needed 2 months in a Nets uni to convince him to go there. Unless you are saying that no other team with cap space will offer him that money... which makes this the most useless trade ever.

For example say Toronto offers the same money as the Nets, but Wallace knows the Nets want to trade him to Orlando. Why would he not just consider Toronto?? Its a better situation and city than Orlando and he wouldn't have the uncertainty of being traded.

Pretty much any team in the NBA is a better destination than Dwightless Orlando at this point. So again, what can the Nets give Wallace that other teams can't that would give him the incentive to sign on as a trade piece.

First of all, whether Wallace stays or goes, it was a horrible trade by the Nets. High lottery pick for a guy who stated his intentions to opt out so he could sign a multi-year contract.

Secondly, I'm not sure a team with capspace would want Wallace for the money the Nets are going to offer him, whether to stay a Net or to get S&Ted.

Oh, and NBA history shows their are few places more attractive to NBA FAs than Toronto.

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
First of all, whether Wallace stays or goes, it was a horrible trade by the Nets. High lottery pick for a guy who stated his intentions to opt out so he could sign a multi-year contract.

Secondly, I'm not sure a team with capspace would want Wallace for the money the Nets are going to offer him, whether to stay a Net or to get S&Ted.

Oh, and NBA history shows their are few places more attractive to NBA FAs than Toronto.

So then WHY TRADE FOR HIM?!?! This right here proves how ridiculous this trade was. If you truly believe there is no market for Wallace among other teams that can offer him money whats the point of this trade. If there is a market for him, why would he sign with a team that will do everything in their power to trade him ASAP to a crappy team.

If no other teams offer him Net money, the Nets are morons giving up anything for him, let alone a high pick. If there are other teams, then the Nets are morons for assuming he will resign with them because he has better choices than Orlando. Regardless I can't see a logical side to this trade.

Toronto was just a random example...

llemon
06-14-2012, 01:43 PM
So then WHY TRADE FOR HIM?!?! This right here proves how ridiculous this trade was. If you truly believe there is no market for Wallace among other teams that can offer him money whats the point of this trade. If there is a market for him, why would he sign with a team that will do everything in their power to trade him ASAP to a crappy team.

Toronto was just a random example...

They traded for him because Proky knows nothing about the NBA, and Billy King is an NBA idiot.

And he would sign with the Nets knowing he would be traded because Nets are going to offer him the most money.

What don't you understand about the term 'the most money'?

Vinylman
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I think Wallace didn't pick up his 3/30 option because he doesn't want to be used as a trade piece. I doubt Wallace agrees to a S&T to Orlando when he is a FA. Lopez and Humphries, just like Wallace, would need to agree as well. This is what makes the trade with Orlando nearly impossible. I don't see any free agent allowing the Nets to trade them to the arguably worst team in the NBA when they have the power to choose where they want to go for the same money. Aside from those guys, the Nets can't even offer their pick next year and MarShon is the only player that has any semblence of value under contract. They have less pieces for Dwight than the Knicks had for Paul, and we all know how that ended.

This is true up and to the draft... after the draft they can offer it to Orlando because it won't be 2 consecutive FUTURE #1s...

The Lakers are notorious for using this loophole

The last laker #1 pick used by the lakers was 2009 when they took toney douglas and traded him on draft night for a second round pick in 2011... they haven't had or kept their #1 since 2007 (JCritt)

2012 will be the third year in a row when the lakers DO NOT have a 1st round pick

NYsFinest
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
They traded for him because Proky knows nothing about the NBA, and Billy King is an NBA idiot.

And he would sign with the Nets knowing he would be traded because Nets are going to offer him the most money.

What don't you understand about the term 'the most money'?

I understand that... but in that case, how is this not the dumbest trade in NBA history? There isn't a tiny ounce of logic to what happened if they plan on out-bidding everyone regardless and Wallace doesn't care where he plays. Not like this trade created the cap space.

In fact that trade is even worse than that. They would have most definitely lost a few more games without Wallace, which in turn would have made that higher than a 6th pick.

Just mind boggling how bad this trade is... Billy King should have been fired the moment this went through if what you are saying is true.

llemon
06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
I understand that... but in that case, how is this not the dumbest trade in NBA history? There isn't a tiny ounce of logic to what happened if they plan on out-bidding everyone regardless and Wallace doesn't care where he plays. Not like this trade created the cap space.

In fact that trade is even worse than that. They would have most definitely lost a few more games without Wallace, which in turn would have made that higher than a 6th pick.

Just mind boggling how bad this trade is... Billy King should have been fired the moment this went through if what you are saying is true.

Horrible trade. King stays as Proky doesn't care.

Red Hot Rolllin
06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you NJ err Brooklynn for Lillard :)

at least NJ shaved some salary of their books in the dealio