PDA

View Full Version : Drabek hears pop

TRIUMPHATOR
06-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Word is according to sportsnet that Kyle Drabek heard a pop in his pitching elbow.

Thoughts?

Toxeryll
06-13-2012, 05:20 PM
good maybe that pop fixes his control problems

Spiderdan22
06-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Is he sure the pop wasn't the ball exploding off an opposing player's bat?

2009mvp
06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
My thoughts? I'm not a doctor, and unless one of you actually are please do us all a favor and don't pretend to be one.

Johann
06-13-2012, 05:43 PM
My thoughts? I'm not a doctor, and unless one of you actually are please do us all a favor and don't pretend to be one.

Here's the problem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqImkDgDwHU#t=56s)

1hardcore
06-13-2012, 05:54 PM
TJ number 2

Krylian
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
The pop was the balloon popping on his prospect status.

es0terik
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
The pop was Doug Drabek telling him that he's embarrassing.

idrinkpepsi
06-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Hopefully he is alright and it isn't anything too serious.

Korac
06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Lol, damn, some of you guys are just mean. :p

Anyway, hope it's nothing too serious, popping sounds are never good; from your elbow or your pitching...

Krylian
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Lol, damn, some of you guys are just mean. :p

Anyway, hope it's nothing too serious, popping sounds are never good; from your elbow or your pitching...

Popping a cherry.

The defence rests.

Korac
06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Popping a cherry.

The defence rests.

Touche sir, touche. :clap:

FlakeyFool
06-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Probably his balls finally dropping

Sanyo
06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Sooo...McGowan gone. Cecil demoted. Deck and Jenkins crap. Morrow injured. Romero regressing. Now Drabek may be injured.

Yes, yes this is turning out just like the Jays envisioned.

Spiderdan22
06-13-2012, 11:47 PM
OK I can't resist...what about Snap and Crackle? Did he hear them too?

phillipmike
06-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Normally a "pop" is a ligament tearing. Like it was said up top i am not a doctor. But 'popping" usually leads to Tommy John.

phillipmike
06-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Drabek

I threw the ball and felt a little popping sensation in back of my elbow, the 24-year-old right-hander recalled. My velocity was down a bit, so just for precationary reasons it was smart to take me out. It was pretty frightening. I had the Tommy John (surgery on my right elbow July 25, 2007) and its nothing like that not in the same place. This was on the back of the elbow, not the ligament.

The Jays continued to test Drabek in the clubhouse as the game continued.

I did well on all the tests and I was strong, Drabek said. The starts before, there was nothing, just the normal soreness. Its not too bad right now. Im not too concerned. Its just a little sore, so well see what (the training staff) has for me. Obviously I want to get back and pitch.

Sanyo
06-14-2012, 10:26 AM
If Drabek indeed needs major surgery, he becomes a write off for me -- which is a shame since it pretty much means we only got D'Arnaud and Gose for the best pitcher in baseball over the last 10 years -- granted they could be big impact players, but considering what pitchers like Gio and Latos got, its almost kind of a steal for what the Phils got for Halladay...

Halladay
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM

It's funny because my doctor actually told me years ago, after I heard a pop in my shoulder playing football, that a lot of people come in and see him after hearing a pop sound and assume the worst when a lot of time it's just air, like cracking your knuckles as he put it. Unfortunately for me, my popping sound was a separated shoulder,pinched nerves and a tendon/ligament in pretty horrible shape. Every time I hear about pitchers having arm problems I ****ing cringe.

bartron_44
06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
not good at all.....Looks like Cecil and Chavez will be getting the call next week, and we will most likely be sellers at the deadline...could be good, could give guys like D'Arnaud and Gose the chance to come up and cement themselves into the lineup for next year like Lawrie did last year..

MrForever
06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
If Drabek indeed needs major surgery, he becomes a write off for me -- which is a shame since it pretty much means we only got D'Arnaud and Gose for the best pitcher in baseball over the last 10 years -- granted they could be big impact players, but considering what pitchers like Gio and Latos got, its almost kind of a steal for what the Phils got for Halladay...

It does really suck. But watching Romero, Morrow, Alvarez and Hutchison perform well this season along with prospects like Sanchez, Syndegaard and Norris I'm not too concerned. It would be nice if Drabek worked out, but it's not like we're relying on him too heavily.

alistar
06-14-2012, 12:29 PM
It does really suck. But watching Romero, Morrow, Alvarez and Hutchison perform well this season along with prospects like Sanchez, Syndegaard and Norris I'm not too concerned. It would be nice if Drabek worked out, but it's not like we're relying on him too heavily.

Since when have Romero and Alvarez been performing well this season? The first couple of games and that's about it.

es0terik
06-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Romero has always been incredibly over-rated by Jays fans and I've always said that. The guy had custy advanced statistics last year. Everytime I've ever made a future rotation for the Jays, I've left him out of it. Sure he CAN get better with improvement but I feel like we have more than five pitchers in this organization that have ceilings higher than that of Romero's. As far as pure ceilings go, I'd take Morrow, Alvarez, Drabek, Syndergaard, Sanchez, Nicolino, Cardona and Norris all long before I'd take Romero. The guy's not an ace, he's a #3 starter in a good rotation.

Twitchy
06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
You would seriously take Drabek over Romero? Or Alvarez over Romero? Those guys would be lucky to be #5 starters. And I forget which one of Snydergaard or Sanchez is basically a 2 pitch guy.

Half those guys you mentioned won't even be #3 starters.

Was Romero lucky to post the ERA he did last year? Yeah. Is this year an indication of what he should be doing? Absolutely not. He's getting rocked because he's walking an extra batter per inning while dropping his K rate. Realistically he's a 3.65-3.85 ERA guy, which is extremely valuable.

Krylian
06-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Syndergaard has a great fastball, a change-up that's probably around average now, and a fringe curveball that needs to improve.

Sanchez has 3 good pitches...2 of which are plus (FB & CB).

wagnall
06-14-2012, 06:42 PM
not good at all.....Looks like Cecil and Chavez will be getting the call next week, and we will most likely be sellers at the deadline...could be good, could give guys like D'Arnaud and Gose the chance to come up and cement themselves into the lineup for next year like Lawrie did last year..

If Drabek and Morrow are out for a substanial time then its grim. I think we will see Cecil back up for another go, I think AA will give Lind another go, I would trade KJ at the deadline, bring back Snider ASAP after re hab, and let him earn LF for good or be on his way. Sept. call up Hech, Gose and d'Arnaud and lets see what they have at least in the last 30 games.

This as long as AA doesn't do a hail mary trade that gets us an ace and another BP arm, and a big 4 bat. Really who the **** knows anymore which way this team is heading in the near future. I guess we'll know in the next month or so. :confused:

Sanyo
06-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Good article on the Star`s site about some pitching that the Jays could go after:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/1211294--five-starting-pitchers-the-blue-jays-could-go-after-on-trade-market

Eagles4Lyfe
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
You would seriously take Drabek over Romero? Or Alvarez over Romero? Those guys would be lucky to be #5 starters. And I forget which one of Snydergaard or Sanchez is basically a 2 pitch guy.

Half those guys you mentioned won't even be #3 starters.

Was Romero lucky to post the ERA he did last year? Yeah. Is this year an indication of what he should be doing? Absolutely not. He's getting rocked because he's walking an extra batter per inning while dropping his K rate. Realistically he's a 3.65-3.85 ERA guy, which is extremely valuable.

Romero is also a groundball pitcher that's not getting his timely double plays that he always gets. He's also giving up more fly balls and homeruns so far.
Romero is a number 2 at best he is not an ace material.

The only reason guys like Alvarez and Hutch probably won't achieve their potential is because we haven't developed them in the minors properly and given them the ample time needed to add and master more pitches.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Good article on the Star`s site about some pitching that the Jays could go after:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/1211294--five-starting-pitchers-the-blue-jays-could-go-after-on-trade-market

Dempster makes no sense if were not competing, and Sanders would be horrible on our team but other then that I want Grienke, Garza or Hamels.

2009mvp
06-14-2012, 08:25 PM
He said Ricky's a 3.65-3.85 ERA guy, which is a pretty reasonable projection. Take that and stick him in whatever rotation spot you want to, but that's a very, very good pitcher and a guy I'm taking a hundred times out of one hundred over Alvarez or Drabek. I don't see how Hutch's developement has been hindered by aggressive promotion either, the kid is holding his own in the bigs including a solid k-rate.

Sanyo
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
I would only sign Hamels or Greinke if they can lock them up for long-term or I dont see the point giving up some prospects for them until after the season when they are free agents and dont have to give up anything (in any case they`ll have to sign them to big deals so better just wait until after the season and Hamels has given a preference to pitch out in California, so I expect him to be a Dodger likely).

Greinke may be the best bet since he doesnt like the limelight and the Jays hardly get any coverage in the US (except for stupid reasons which I dont have to go over again). Garza is also a good bet at around $15-$16 mil but something tells me some team is going to over pay for him (around $20-$22 mil a season).

wagnall
06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
What bothers me about Grienke is that away from the friendly confines of the Mill. crowd he has not done well. Over the last 2 years he is 23-8. At home 15-0. But away he's only 8-8. Not sure how that plays in our division. But if he can only perform in front of his cheering home fans, but is no better than .500 on the road, makes me pause a bit. Especially when I'm sure he will want a longterm deal worth mega millions. :confused:

rapsjaysfan88
06-15-2012, 12:08 AM
What bothers me about Grienke is that away from the friendly confines of the Mill. crowd he has not done well. Over the last 2 years he is 23-8. At home 15-0. But away he's only 8-8. Not sure how that plays in our division. But if he can only perform in front of his cheering home fans, but is no better than .500 on the road, makes me pause a bit. Especially when I'm sure he will want a longterm deal worth mega millions. :confused:

Please don't judge a pitcher by wins

StealingSigns
06-15-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm locking this for now. It has gotten off-topic, and we still aren't certain if indeed Drabek sustained a substantial injury.