PDA

View Full Version : Are Defenders Too Soft When Guarding Kevin Durant?

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, KD is an amazing player, but sometimes I feel that the game isn't physically challenging enough for him. Sure, he has the height and length to pull up and hit a shot in your face, but I feel he gets into the paint too easily, he gets a lot of off the ball movement in the spots that he wants, he never really has faced any resistance from defenders in his career other than Metta World Peace (Ron Artest).

I feel defenders kinda sag off on him, they're not really as physical as they would be with other scoring guys like Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Dirk, Pierce etc. I don't see defenders trying to stay that much in front of him, I don't see that sense of urgency from defenders trying to take the challenge of trying to shut him down. I don't know if they're scared that if they touch him a little, the refs will blow the whistle or what.

As great of a scorer as he is, I never really feel he faces much resistance from anyone (outside of Ron). I feel his life is just a little bit "too easy" on the offensive end. He never really gets beat up physically by a defender or gets pushed off of his sweet spots.

Just some stuff that I observed.

What do you think?

KG21
06-13-2012, 05:46 AM
I think it's more because of the refs, but KD is also too long and good to be guarded by someone in that way. I mean, he would just get by them with ease.

sep11ie
06-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Or he's like really really really good.

Evolution23
06-13-2012, 06:08 AM
The dude is 6'10, has freakishly long arms, handles like a 2 guard, shoots like Ray Allen, and finishes like a monster. No one can guard Durant, you can only hope he has a bad night.

Patman
06-13-2012, 06:30 AM
If you body him up when he has the Ball, he either draws a Foul or blows past you. Of the ball that worked for 2 games for the Spurs (1&2) after that he adjusted.

The Guy is just an incredible Scorer that will make your Defense look bad.

Hotone1401
06-13-2012, 06:33 AM
What you're eluding to is totally underestimating Durant's skill and length. Imagine guarding this guy. He's so long that split second he decides to put the ball down one direction or the other, he's already by and around you. You have I pick your poision with any great offensive player. You get too close, they can burn you. You back off too far, he just pulls up. The difference with Durant is that his shot is so pure and his length negates any interference you hope give him.

There's nothing you can really do. The guy can score from anywhere on the floor and you don't even want to think about sendin him the line.

tmacsc2
06-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Every time i see someone try to man up and get on in his grill that first step is
1. Fast
2. Gynormous
3. Unstoppable

So people cant really man up and be physical with him.

TRF929
06-13-2012, 07:09 AM
The Spurs had pretty good defenders on him all last series, the refs just don't allow physical ball. Doesn't help that he's a very talented scorer as it is, let alone the refs whistles.

Teeboy1487
06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Because he is a freak. He is 6'11 with the speed of a SG and freakish long arms. Top that off with a beautiful shooting stroke that is quick and nearly impossible to block. He is almost unguardable.

jimm120
06-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, KD is an amazing player, but sometimes I feel that the game isn't physically challenging enough for him. Sure, he has the height and length to pull up and hit a shot in your face, but I feel he gets into the paint too easily, he gets a lot of off the ball movement in the spots that he wants, he never really has faced any resistance from defenders in his career other than Metta World Peace (Ron Artest).

I feel defenders kinda sag off on him, they're not really as physical as they would be with other scoring guys like Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Dirk, Pierce etc. I don't see defenders trying to stay that much in front of him, I don't see that sense of urgency from defenders trying to take the challenge of trying to shut him down. I don't know if they're scared that if they touch him a little, the refs will blow the whistle or what.

As great of a scorer as he is, I never really feel he faces much resistance from anyone (outside of Ron). I feel his life is just a little bit "too easy" on the offensive end. He never really gets beat up physically by a defender or gets pushed off of his sweet spots.

What do you think?
\

True to a certain extent.

Miami has to play Durant the same way Melo was played. If you saw how Melo was played by Miami during the playoffs, you'd see that they were stuck to him. all the time. He was priority #1. They never let him go.

Durant, though, they are giving some space. Call it some fatigue after advancing so far in the playoffs...or that the coach of the Thunder does a MUCH better job of opening up shots for Durant.

DeRaptor95
06-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Miami has to play Durant the same way Melo was played. If you saw how Melo was played by Miami during the playoffs, you'd see that they were stuck to him. all the time. He was priority #1. They never let him go.

Durant, though, they are giving some space. Call it some fatigue after advancing so far in the playoffs...or that the coach of the Thunder does a MUCH better job of opening up shots for Durant.[

+1

Hellcrooner
06-13-2012, 08:34 AM
No, you simply cant deffend a player if the refs are going to whistle even if you breath on him.

theheatles
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
He's so huge, yet so fragile, he is a nightmare to be officiated

lyallmkra
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1I think it's more because of the refs, but KD is also too long and good to be guarded by someone in that way. I mean, he would just get by them with ease.

KD is also too long and good to be guarded by someone in that way.

bucketss
06-13-2012, 09:13 AM
because a foul is called if you even breath on him

kdspurman
06-13-2012, 09:19 AM
No, you simply cant deffend a player if the refs are going to whistle even if you breath on him.

It's tough to be physical with the guy without getting in foul trouble that's for sure. You look at how they call fouls for him vs Lebron at times, and it's really inconsistent

the_antz_nest
06-13-2012, 09:24 AM
KD is just to good/gifted an offensive player. his height and length amount for most reason defenders don't body him up. His first step is like 1 1/2 of most nba players so he has already past you. With is high release (being 6'10..) and how good a shooter he is you can't body him. Only guy I can think of that could SLOW him down would be a young garnett with his length...

heyman321
06-13-2012, 09:45 AM
The only guy who has made it difficult for him is Shawn Marion, nobody else can guard him. Lebron wasn't even on him for most of the game.

Mr.ATLHawks
06-13-2012, 09:54 AM
\

Durant, though, they are giving some space. Call it some fatigue after advancing so far in the playoffs...or that the coach of the Thunder does a MUCH better job of opening up shots for Durant.

That would be a good strategy BUT if you do that with Durant and the whole team gears up to stop him Westbrook will go for 40 or Harden

CunninghamJrIII
06-13-2012, 09:58 AM
"Miami has to play Durant the same way Melo was played. If you saw how Melo was played by Miami during the playoffs, you'd see that they were stuck to him. all the time. He was priority #1. They never let him go."

If Westbrook is having a good game (which he did last night), it's hard to focus on Durant only because he requires the best defender + help to stop him.
If you do that, the entire floor opens up for Westbrook...allowing him to drive and dish, drive and dunk, or pull up.
Miami could afford to focus on Melo 'cause no one else could make plays. They have the opposite in facing the Thunder.

"Call it some fatigue after advancing so far in the playoffs"
no

torocan
06-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Durant is basically unguardable man to man.

He's explosive and fast and can drive past you.
He's so long that he can just shoot over you.

Teams play off him to deter him driving to the rim. Playing off him and forcing him to range is the best percentage against Durant as a dunk is as close to money as you get. Unfortunately for other teams he also has a great jump shot from mid and long range.

There's only a few things you can do to slow Durant.

1) Don't let him get the ball.
2) Double/triple team him as soon as he gets it.
3) Pack the paint to deter the drive.

Even if you do all of the above, Durant has also been developing into a good passer this season. His ability to find the open man and distribute when double/triple teamed has improved dramatically since the start of the season.

It may be a rough ride for Miami.

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
That would be a good strategy BUT if you do that with Durant and the whole team gears up to stop him Westbrook will go for 40 or Harden

I have no problem with westbrook going for 40 becuase i know he wont be very efficient getting those 40.

corky831
06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
I think you are clearly underestimating his playing strength just by looking at his physical features.

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
haberstroh
ESPN tracking: Durant scored just 2 pts on 0/2 shooting when guarded by LeBron. Everyone else? 34 pts on 12/18 shooting.

Even bigger deal: All 10 of Durant's turnovers this season vs. the Heat have come when LeBron was the primary defender.

expect to see a lot more lebron on kd

corky831
06-13-2012, 10:32 AM
The only time I saw Lebron on Durant was in the 4th and Durant blew by him cuz James went for the steal and Durant got to the FT line. I don't think they will put Lebron on Durant, they won't want Lebron to get into foul trouble

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 10:36 AM
The only time I saw Lebron on Durant was in the 4th and Durant blew by him cuz James went for the steal and Durant got to the FT line. I don't think they will put Lebron on Durant, they won't want Lebron to get into foul trouble

refs wont get lebon in foul trobule, just like they wont get KD in foul trobule.

detzfish
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Lol at the people acting like the refs make Durant who he is. either Durant haters or didnt watch the game last night

heyman321
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
haberstroh

expect to see a lot more lebron on bosh

Bosh is already soft enough, he doesn't need the best non big defender guarding him.

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Bosh is already soft enough, he doesn't need the best non big defender guarding him.

lol:p

BobbyHillSwag
06-13-2012, 11:11 AM
lol durant is too good without refs unlike dwade. Yall smoking some crack or something if you think durant can be checked even without refs. Unless you basically beat him down. Dude is amazing, yall dont understand how great of a player yall are witnessing in durant. Must of been too busy watching espn hype lebron or something.

RLundi
06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
No, LeBron was clearly aroused.

Jarvo
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
The Spurs had pretty good defenders on him all last series, the refs just don't allow physical ball. Doesn't help that he's a very talented scorer as it is, let alone the refs whistles.

True, in the WCF if you would've put one finger on him it was a call, LBJ was good on him in the 1st Quarter but in no way Battier nor Wade should check him he's 6 frigging 11 !

corky831
06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Durant is gonna get his 30, no matter who you put on him. Then Westbrook and Harden are too quick for wade or chalmers to contain.

rasheed34
06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Dudes mad frail....look at him, if he ran into LBJ he'd get broken into half. Hells yeh ppl aree soft on him, no one wants to be the Suh of the NBA.

Wyatt7
06-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Disagree! spurs did Strap him tight (no homo) just KD adjusts.LeBron tried to strap him 2nd and 3rd Q but wasnt helping cause westbrook was blowing by and hittin the lane anytime... kind of forced to give space to help clog the lanes. With the melo comment... they dont have a slasher like westbrook,harden,sefo. So they were able to stick on melo the whole time. Gotta remember that. Im sure heat will have a answer for thunder but it wont be next game. Thunder have 3 players that can take over a game. IMO heat only have 2 Wade and LBJ. Bosh easy to defend from what i have noticed. SO one out of three (but normally 2) are always hittin. Harden had a bad game... anyways back to the KD thing...SPurs and,Lakers Metta were physical with him. I think for one he has learned how to handle it. he is fighting for space just pay more attention, dude is learning way fast

Rain City
06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Kevin Durant is a really good basketball player

Longhornfan1234
06-13-2012, 12:01 PM
haberstroh

expect to see a lot more lebron on kd

:facepalm:

Well for one that is ********. Durant scored in the 4th when Lebron went for the steal and Durant pulled got into the lane. Great tracking job. Also, this is a lot like last year with Jet Terry and the Mavs. Lebron cannot keep up with all of Durant's movement off ball for an entire game. He will get worn out trying to fight through so many screens. LeBron can certainly limit KD some and vice versa but these guys are going to get theirs period.

BobbyHillSwag
06-13-2012, 12:03 PM
lol that's cause durant was driving past lebron and ****. that tracker sucks *** lol. everytime lebron was on him they doubled him. bron cant check him get over it, no one can.

8kobe24
06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Durant is just too long and too athletic and too smart and a damn good shooter.

Toadman
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Lol at the people acting like the refs make Durant who he is. either Durant haters or didnt watch the game last night

Gotta agree. Really makes U question their Bball IQ. With some players who have a super quick first step but questionable jump shot U can play off him to make sure he doesn't get by U. But someone like KD who's 6'10' got freakishly long arms, a high release, & can handle the ball, along with a quick first step. U gotta pick your poison.
The greats can always score, all U can do is make it as difficult as possible.
Watching Lebron score with speed, power, & ferocity is completely different from KD. KD scores so fluidly & almost no effort. Magic is right this series will determine who is the best player in the league.

Sssmush
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM

What do you think?

I get the feeling that Durant is much, much stronger than he looks, and as we know he is also really fast and quick, with a huge wingspan and very impressive jumping ability.

You can get more physical with him, or knock him around more, but it will tend to draw fouls because he creates separation so well. If you start to really flagrant him or try to really bang on him, he can just as easily sllice open someones face with a lightning quick long elbow.

0nekhmer
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Man oh man when I saw wade trying to guard him it looked almost unfair.

justinnum1
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
no way can wade guard KD, it was sad just seeing him try.

torocan
06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Man oh man when I saw wade trying to guard him it looked almost unfair.

Wade gives up 6 inches in height PLUS the wingspan (7'2").

Really, the Heat doesn't have enough bigs to make life hard for Durant for any extended stretches.

Lebron can do it sometimes, but if you ask him to expend that kind of energy expect his offensive game to suffer.

Battier has some length but he's not stopping Durant either. Battier just isn't quick enough.

If I'm the Heat, I wouldn't bother trying to play him tight, let him shoot jumpshots, contest with a hand in his face, and focus on stopping the rest of the Thunder.

Sure, Durant will go off for 30-40, but if they can stop Westbrook/Harden they'll at least have a chance.

Missing56&33
06-13-2012, 01:52 PM
His length and shooting ability makes it very difficult to defend him. He has no conscience from 3 and when the defender close out on him he'll just drive around the defender....either going to the basket or a pull up jumper. He makes his FT's and he gets out on the break.

I think you can get physical with him....He is crafty enough to get a bunch of and 1's off physical play, but his game is almost impossible to stop. Scary thing about it is he's only 23.

Joshtd1
06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
It's not about being to soft...just players hardly get the chance. Only way to play him physical is off the ball, but once that happen he just comes off a screen most of the time to get the ball. Once he gets the ball off that screen he either has a pull up, or a dribble pull up, or a dribble drive.

For the times he doesn't come off the screen and wants the ball and wants to go 1 on 1 you can't be physical with him because a foul is most likely going to be called. Lose lose situation.

Best bet to limit Durant is double him coming off a screen and hoping he kicks it out to WB/THabo/whatever big is out there to try and beat you. IMO anyway

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Good stuff guys. Thanks.

Raph12
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Durant is so long, yet so thin; any contact against him would likely garner a foul, as it would be very visible.

Wolfman01
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
No Kevin Garnett is just too good and make them look slow.