PDA

View Full Version : Morrow placed on DL

StealingSigns
06-12-2012, 01:31 AM
After some initial hopefulness from Twitisphere that Morrow would be day to day, it appears it may be more serious than initially thunk:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/11/brandon-morrow-exits-early-as-nationals-shell-blue-jays/

Manager John Farrell said after the game the injury is “probably substantial.” Morrow, he said, was “in considerable pain” and will undergo more tests on Tuesday.

Eesh...

bomber0104
06-12-2012, 02:34 AM
so we're basically ****ed.. lets start thinking of next year. maybe sell off a couple of pieces

Toxeryll
06-12-2012, 03:08 AM
no more playoffs race :sigh:

lexecutioner
06-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Sad... just when he finally figures things out. Why o why... hope he comes back the same if not better! Morrow do you feel my sorrow? Y_Y

StayOnBoard
06-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Just absolutely terrible, losing your best pitcher is a huge blow to the playoff race.

Who takes his spot in the rotation?

LuckyLuke2
06-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Nothing much more to say... it hurts the Jays tremendously.

Who knows what happens now.

Krylian
06-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Just absolutely terrible, losing your best pitcher is a huge blow to the playoff race.

Who takes his spot in the rotation?

Laffey for now it appears.

madmike77
06-12-2012, 08:56 AM
If he's gone for anything more than two weeks or so the season is over. It was beginning to slip away anyway, but this would be the proverbial nail in the coffin.

Dol-Fan
06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Well that sucks. These oblique strains seem to be becoming increasingly common and are often serious. Unfortunately there is no one to replace him other than replacement level starters. Deck and Jenkins would have done us a huge favour by not spewing absolute ****ing garbage in AA. It sucks but we could be looking at a full rotation of 5 starters aside from Ricky, who is certainly pitching like one at this point. We could be in for a rough stretch rolling with Romero-Alvarez-Drabek-Hutchison-Laffey. Ouch.

Krylian
06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
If he's gone for anything more than two weeks or so the season is over. It was beginning to slip away anyway, but this would be the proverbial nail in the coffin.

The season was over before it got started. The Jays were never going to make the playoffs this year anyway. Don't know why people thought they were going to.

AA09-?
06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
The season was over before it got started. The Jays were never going to make the playoffs this year anyway. Don't know why people thought they were going to.

It was always unlikely they were going to the post season, but you can't say they didn't have a shot.

Krylian
06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
It was always unlikely they were going to the post season, but you can't say they didn't have a shot.

Every team in the MLB 'has a shot' if you really want to play that game.

I didn't think there was any way they were making the playoffs. I guess that's why I don't rant and rave in the Game Day threads.

AA09-?
06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Every team in the MLB 'has a shot' if you really want to play that game.
I didn't think there was any way they were making the playoffs. I guess that's why I don't rant and rave in the Game Day threads.

The Jays had a better shot than many other teams..I didn't predict that they would, but they did have an outside shot. Unlike many other teams who really had absolutely no shot.

alistar
06-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Most people would have said the one of the Big 3 in the AL East and the Angels were contenders to take one of the 2 wild cards. Other than that, the Jays were considered right there.

Krylian
06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Most people would have said the one of the Big 3 in the AL East and the Angels were contenders to take one of the 2 wild cards. Other than that, the Jays were considered right there.

Well...I didn't.

alistar
06-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Well...I didn't.

Well, the Jays players and the coaches did, which is all that really matters.

Krylian
06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Well, the Jays players and the coaches did, which is all that really matters.

Again....every team's players and coaches do. And they're suppose to.

This is a fan board...we don't have to if we don't see it...and I saw too many holes.

None of this matters...I don't know why we're talking about it. I only brought it up cause I don't think Morrow's injury was "the" nail in the coffin. I didn't think they were gonna win with a healthy Morrow in 2012 anyway.

Korac
06-12-2012, 11:22 AM
It sucks, and it's definitely a blow to any playoff hopes this season, but man oh man, some of you guys are the most negative people I have ever seen. I know this is not atypical of hardcore sports fans, but the amount of raving and ranting a few of you guys do about your favorite team is...well...kind of laughable.

Anyway, hopefully it's not too long term and that he only misses one or two starts. If not, this might force AA's hands to pull the trigger on a vet pitcher of some sort as it doesn't seem we have anyone in the minors really ready to take the reins. Laffey, Chavez etc. are only good for a spot start or two, anything longer term will require a real move.

madmike77
06-12-2012, 11:33 AM

I agree - sort of. I didn't expect them to make it. But I did think they were in a position where if everything went right they had a shot. ie. McGowan being healthy, Lind looking like a major leauger as he has at times in the past, either Thames or Snider seizing an OF spot, Romero being Romero. Santos actually pitching and looking like an MLB closer...

Everything, however, has clearly not gone right. They're still hanging in there, but I certainly wouldn't out any money on them making it - with or without Morrow.

Krylian
06-12-2012, 11:39 AM
It's really too bad that McGuire and Jenkins have ***** the bed so badly this year. This could've been their golden ticket...and the wave of High Schoolers is too far away (2 years at the earliest).

Let's get Stroman in there!! :)

StayOnBoard
06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Laffey for now it appears.

:puke:

I ****ing hate Laffey

It's really too bad that McGuire and Jenkins have ***** the bed so badly this year. This could've been their golden ticket...and the wave of High Schoolers is too far away (2 years at the earliest).

Let's get Stroman in there!! :)

Completely agree with you.... McGuire has sure been a huge pile of suck eh? I think Jenkins is even worse.

There's one more option we haven't talked about.... TRADE..... maybe speed up the Garza talks at this point (I'm just using him as an example, no one light the torches) and see if we can get someone in who can give us a shot. Realistically, at this point if Morrow misses any real significant time we might be sellers. :(

Krylian
06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
:puke:

I ****ing hate Laffey

Completely agree with you.... McGuire has sure been a huge pile of suck eh? I think Jenkins is even worse.

There's one more option we haven't talked about.... TRADE..... maybe speed up the Garza talks at this point (I'm just using him as an example, no one light the torches) and see if we can get someone in who can give us a shot. Realistically, at this point if Morrow misses any real significant time we might be sellers. :(

Never make a trade out of desperation.

Actually, it sounds like Jesse Chavez will make Morrow's next start. Much better than Laffey.

Don't be surprised to see Cecil back here if Chavez can't hold down the fort.

StayOnBoard
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Never make a trade out of desperation.

Actually, it sounds like Jesse Chavez will make Morrow's next start. Much better than Laffey.

Don't be surprised to see Cecil back here if Chavez can't hold down the fort.

I agree - I wasn't saying to just sell the farm in order to get a replacement... but if they were going after those guys anyways, it doesn't hurt to see what the asking prices are. I should have been a bit more clear in my original post - not just "Rawr go get anyone so we can win a few games" :)

Krylian
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
I agree - I wasn't saying to just sell the farm in order to get a replacement... but if they were going after those guys anyways, it doesn't hurt to see what the asking prices are. I should have been a bit more clear in my original post - not just "Rawr go get anyone so we can win a few games" :)

The only thing is now teams know that we're down a significant arm. The price just went up one more solid prospect. That's what I'd do if I knew a team were screwed.

StayOnBoard
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
The only thing is now teams know that we're down a significant arm. The price just went up one more solid prospect. That's what I'd do if I knew a team were screwed.

You are very right.... and there's no need to overpay because you just realized you're ****ed. I'll stand corrected on this one, because as you said, another GM knows this and will immediately ask for the farm or simply just wait until the trade deadline before making any major moves.

Just horrible timing. Jays were in a good position and now I honestly think their pitching is in huge trouble (since Romero somehow forgot how to pitch this year). It's ironic how lots of people wanted to trade Morrow this time last year and now that he's injured we're doomed :D

Krylian
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
You are very right.... and there's no need to overpay because you just realized you're ****ed. I'll stand corrected on this one, because as you said, another GM knows this and will immediately ask for the farm or simply just wait until the trade deadline before making any major moves.

Just horrible timing. Jays were in a good position and now I honestly think their pitching is in huge trouble (since Romero somehow forgot how to pitch this year). It's ironic how lots of people wanted to trade Morrow this time last year and now that he's injured we're doomed :D

He's a building block. An important one. I didn't think the Jays were real contenders this year but I don't think they're far away. The strides that Morrow has made have been tremendous and we shouldn't lose site of that.

I read on another board that they're thinking 4-6 weeks...so it's not a season killer for him. Hopefully that's not just pure speculation and he can come back for the final 1/3 of the season, get back into a groove and have a strong finish heading into the off-season and into 2013.

Valleyfella
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would say the Jays weren't a realistic shot at a playoff spot this year. With the exception of EE and Morrow everyone on the team has under performed significantly or been painfully ordinary and they're still over .500. Bautista has good power numbers but has struggled most of the year, Rasmus has been better of late but sucked for much of the year, Lawrie has an okay average but hits mostly singles, JPA hasn't improved, Thames and Lind had to be sent down, Romero, Alvarez and Drabek have all under performed, Escobar and Davis aren't doing that much and there's not an arm in the bullpen that is having a great year and most have been terrible. If even half those players were having decent, not necessarily great, years, the Jays would be up there with the Yankees. It's not that the Jays aren't good enough, they just haven't seized the opportunity and run with it.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Yu Darvish would've looked good right about now eh?? :p
Anyways I don't want to bring that can of worms up again but this sucks cause it was really enjoyable watching him didn't he get hurt near the end last year too or was that someone else??

Just when we find a legit ace he's going to miss a while. Trades seem highly unlikely even though we've signed our top picks this year adding more depth to our system so a fill in scrub will have to do.

Krylian
06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would say the Jays weren't a realistic shot at a playoff spot this year. With the exception of EE and Morrow everyone on the team has under performed significantly or been painfully ordinary and they're still over .500. Bautista has good power numbers but has struggled most of the year, Rasmus has been better of late but sucked for much of the year, Lawrie has an okay average but hits mostly singles, JPA hasn't improved, Thames and Lind had to be sent down, Romero, Alvarez and Drabek have all under performed, Escobar and Davis aren't doing that much and there's not an arm in the bullpen that is having a great year and most have been terrible. If even half those players were having decent, not necessarily great, years, the Jays would be up there with the Yankees. It's not that the Jays aren't good enough, they just haven't seized the opportunity and run with it.

I just didn't anticipate a lot of the guys like Lind and JPA to improve over last year...the pitching was a question mark going in and still is. The starters are young....they're still improving...how many pro innings did Alvarez and Drabek have going in to the season...and then there's the McGowan's health and Hutch as a fresh rookie as #5.

Sure the potential was there, if everyone succeeded...but that hardly ever happens. This isn't a failed season. I saw it as a building season...and that's what I think it is for a lot of the players, the pitchers I've mentioned...Lawrie, who's having a bit of a sophomore slump if you take a look at his numbers aside from batting average. Rasmus is building his confidence back up...Thames has been crap, and we're still waiting on Snider.

There are things to like about this team...it's just going to take a bit more time...and I'm willing to wait. Can't change the past 20 years, but you can change how you handle the next 20 and what you're trying to build.

bomber0104
06-12-2012, 01:00 PM
yeah really no need to trade now.. i mean its not like we were killing it with Morrow. No point to trade prospect to get a pitcher that will at best keep us at where we are

MrForever
06-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Time to sell

Let's see gose, d'arnaud, hech, Mcdade, sierra, snider and maybe some arms up here ASAP.

Johnson, EE possibly, Thames and Mathis are all trade bait.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Ok thats going overboard bro lol we don't need that many significant moves.
I'd love to keep EE actually he'd be a great number 5 hitter next year if we plan to contend.

Jose in the third spot a nice consistant power hitter behind Jose then EE 5th would be great. Maybe Snider;) :pray:
Rasmus-Jose-Bopper-EE is a nice order and the other guys can fill in accordingly.

alistar
06-12-2012, 01:14 PM
So we waving the white flag already?

Eagles4Lyfe
06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Well the Yankees are starting to get on a roll, the Orioles haven't faded heavily yet and the Rays are starting to get their guys back. Not to mention the Angels are heating up to I don't see where a playoff spot can possibly come from for us??

I mean we haven't even gone on a significant winning steak or been consistant to atlaest give us hopes this year.

wagnall
06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Sorry, I ain't giving up yet. Wait to see how many starts he really misses?

wagnall
06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Why do I not trust EE. Maybe its because every year he tanks at some point, then resurfaces later on. I don't know, if EE wants a long term deal whether at 30 he can do this again or is this a Lind or Hill 1 off kind of year. But on the other hand Bautista did.

Sorry, this is a Morrow thread not an EE one. Me Bad. :o

Korac
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Looks like they may be eying Cecil as Morrow's DL replacement:

#bluejays Farrell said triple-A bound Brett Cecil has added 4 mph to his fastball since spring and is a candidate should Morrow hit DL.
by MikeCormack via twitter 4:15 PM

Cecil promoted to Vegas. Farrell says velocity at 88-92, up from 84-86 in spring. Candidate to fill in for Morrow, along with Jesse Chavez
by ShiDavidi via twitter 4:15 PM

Also of note:

On Santos: AA would not use the term "shutdown" but said he is still not throwing due to soreness. bluejays.
by MikeCormack via twitter 4:04 PM

and

on snider, AA said he'll be returning to Vegas once rehab stint with Dunedin is up, likely this week. #BlueJays
by MikeCormack via twitter 4:03 PM

MrForever
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Remember when Cecil won like 15 games.

I don't.

Farsight
06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Honestly it sucks that we lost Morrow, but injuries are bound to happen. These are the times when you really find out what your team is made up of. Certain players will have to step up and increase their performance if they still want to compete in the final month

wagnall
06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Farrell says Cecil up now to 88-92. He threw alot at 88, so does he get it up to 92 with the wind. If Morrow out more than 2 starts probably see him, really anything but Laffey.

wagnall
06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Didn`t mind Chavez was pretty good against the Angels when all hell broke loose. Either or.

MrForever
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Honestly it sucks that we lost Morrow, but injuries are bound to happen. These are the times when you really find out what your team is made up of. Certain players will have to step up and increase their performance if they still want to compete in the final month

Drabek and Alvarez especially.

Tmath
06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
We are so ****ed

bartron_44
06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Cecil last pitched June 6th, and he was taken out after just 3 innings when he had only given up 1 hit..He was pitching pretty solid since his return on May 9th, this would be the perfect opportunity to see what he is looking like.

Chavez should be able to do alright though..He has an ERA under 4 in the PCL, which is not an easy thing to do...just ask Cecil,Carreno and Drabek...

The strange thing about Cecil this year is that he isn't getting lefties out very well. He dominated them the past few years in the big leagues....

StayOnBoard
06-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Cecil promoted to Vegas. Farrell says velocity at 88-92, up from 84-86 in spring. Candidate to fill in for Morrow, along with Jesse Chavez

This still concerns me greatly.... and it's supposed to be a highlight.

1hardcore
06-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Season is over

Korac
06-12-2012, 06:56 PM
This still concerns me greatly.... and it's supposed to be a highlight.

Well, to be fair, this was his velocity when he won 15 games. That being said, I don't think he's a viable long term option for the Jays. I guess he's as good a stop gap as any for a few weeks as none of our minor leaguers are really setting the world on fire at the moment.

Let's just hope he recovers quickly or that AA can pull a magic trade out of his hat. :(

Raps08-09 Champ
06-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Who's getting the call to take his spot?

bomber0104
06-12-2012, 07:34 PM
yeah i call major BS on the increase in velocity.. he'll come up and throw a couple of pitches at 90 MPH and it will be downhill from there

Sanyo
06-12-2012, 07:37 PM
well the jays have a day off on thursday so they can still go with the 4 until next wednesday and skip one start.

will likely be cecil or chavez. chavez though had 7 k's in 5 innings the one appearance he made this year. i would maybe give him one more chance.

bartron_44
06-12-2012, 07:43 PM

I think its time for Ricky to step up and throw a couple gems to help rest our bullpen. Drew Hutchison is our "ace" right now imo. His last outing wasn't the greatest, but 4 of his last 6 starts have been very solid. He is throwing 93-95mph on the black, with a good breaking ball.

Alvarez has deserved a far better record then he has right now too. He still has an ERA of just 3.76, and he should really have like 6 or 7 wins..not 3.

H-MYK
06-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Great, that's just freakin' great. :bang:

Toxeryll
06-13-2012, 12:04 AM
yeah i call major BS on the increase in velocity.. he'll come up and throw a couple of pitches at 90 MPH and it will be downhill from there

yup, im pretty sure that's BS. couple of starts ago, someone (cant recall who) reported he was sitting at 86 mph.

StealingSigns
06-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Cecil's line in Vegas tonight:

6 2/3 IP, 3 ER's, 11 hits, 0 BB's, 6 k's

He was having a decent outing until the 7th inning. 0 ER's, great control. Scattered 7 hits throughout those innings. According to MilB.com Gameday, Eric Thames "defence" may have contributed to some of the problems in the 7th...

Toxeryll
06-13-2012, 01:06 AM

He was having a decent outing until the 7th inning. 0 ER's, great control. Scattered 7 hits throughout those innings. According to MilB.com Gameday, Eric Thames "defence" may have contributed to some of the problems in the 7th...

meh, i have no hope for this guy but hes better than laffey i guess. i just hope AA can pull off a trade for a legit starter or otherwise we'll be out of the race once morrow comes back.

StealingSigns
06-13-2012, 06:16 AM
As per Gregor Chisholm:

Right-hander Brandon Morrow will be officially placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday morning with a left oblique strain.

Morrow suffered the injury during the first inning of Monday night's game against Washington. He was removed after tossing just nine pitches, and manager John Farrell later described the injury as "probably significant."

There is no immediate timetable available for Morrow's return but he will be out for at least the rest of the month.

"The further tests and the imaging indicated that the oblique is strained," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "It eliminated any fractures in the bottom rib. So at this point, there's really no change as far as what our projection is. Which, I don't even know that we have an end date in mind right now.

"It's probably too early to determine. As sore as he showed up to the ballpark today, there's some significant discomfort."

Losing Morrow for an extended period of time would be a massive blow to the Blue Jays' aspirations of reaching the postseason. The 27-year-old has established himself as the club's best pitcher while also ranking among the best the American League has to offer.

Morrow is 7-4 with a 3.01 ERA in 77 2/3 innings this season. He also has struck out 67 batters while walking just 24 to go along with a Major League-leading three shutouts.

"He's pitched great, but it happens," Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "And we're certainly not the first team to go through it. A lot of other teams do. It's a long year, and you just have to fight through it. And hopefully we can get him back soon, and we can make up some ground while he's away."

With an off-day coming on Thursday, the Blue Jays won't need a fifth starter until either June 18 or 19. The two main candidates appear to be right-hander Jesse Chavez and left-hander Brett Cecil.

Chavez, who was claimed during the offseason, was set to start for Triple-A Las Vegas on Wednesday night. He is 6-2 with a 3.68 ERA in 11 starts this season and appears to be the early favourite.

"He's definitely the frontrunner, I guess I would say that," Anthopoulos said. "But we haven't made a commitment one way or the other. He's scheduled to pitch [Wednesday], but we don't have to make a decision for awhile. But there's no question that he has probably been the best starter down there, but I certainly don't want to lock into that name. But he's put himself in a good position."

Morrow's departure will create a void in the starting rotation, but Anthopoulos said the injury won't put any pressure on the organization to make a trade.

"You're hopeful that whatever we end up doing, whatever time he does miss, you might get someone that gets hot and does well," Anthopoulos said of his internal options. "I know when Carlos Villanueva had to step into the rotation last year ... for probably three or four weeks, he did a very good job, and then he got hurt and didn't do as well.

"But you never know. Someone steps in, they might do a good job for you, we might score some runs for them and end up getting some wins. It's one start every five days. There's value to those starts because of Brandon's ability to work deep into games, save the bullpen, things like that. But at the same time, it is 25 guys and there are lots of teams in this division and in this league that have lost a lot of good players and have been able to overcome it. Hopefully, we'll be in the same boat."

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33172556&notebook_id=33179192&vkey=notebook_tor&c_id=tor

StealingSigns
06-13-2012, 06:17 AM
meh, i have no hope for this guy but hes better than laffey i guess. i just hope AA can pull off a trade for a legit starter or otherwise we'll be out of the race once morrow comes back.

AA heard your question...

Morrow's departure will create a void in the starting rotation, but Anthopoulos said the injury won't put any pressure on the organization to make a trade.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33172556&notebook_id=33179192&vkey=notebook_tor&c_id=tor

Dol-Fan
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM

Unfortunately I didn't get to catch the game last night but another thing you should be weary of when reporting about Vegas games is that the ball shoots through the infield incredibly fast, so hard grounders that might be outs in other parks will often get through in Vegas.

ah nuts
06-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Cecil to rescue
:superman:

Kelly Gruber
06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Really bad news. Was putting together the kind of season we'd been hoping for since the trade.

Cecil's ML numbers don't matter, he'll get pounded in the bigs once again.

StealingSigns
06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get to catch the game last night but another thing you should be weary of when reporting about Vegas games is that the ball shoots through the infield incredibly fast, so hard grounders that might be outs in other parks will often get through in Vegas.

Yeah, the play I was specifically talking about was a soft fly ball hit at Thames. It's what started the mini-rally in the seventh. Cecil then surrendered a couple of singles and a double.

I see the allure of paying attention to the 51's though, what an offense. I LoL'd the other night when you were talking about your gf expressing dismay about you watching baseball on TV and your laptop at the same time: now I know why you do it :D

StealingSigns
06-13-2012, 09:15 AM
...and I'm seriously thinking of subscribing to MilB.tv after last night.

Dol-Fan
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
It's a solid purchase. The Vegas games are fun but only when they're the road team...the Vegas broadcast uses one camera that seems to be situated in the broadcast booths behind home plate.

Farsight
06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
It's a solid purchase. The Vegas games are fun but only when they're the road team...the Vegas broadcast uses one camera that seems to be situated in the broadcast booths behind home plate. there's yet another reason to hope that the jays move out of Vegas! Lol