PDA

View Full Version : Why did Isiah retire so young?

NYSpirit1
06-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Looking back on it, he retired at 32 in 1994.

It's as if Kobe retired two years ago, if Shaq retired seven years ago.

Nash and Kidd are still going at like 39, it makes me wonder how much more Isiah had left. I know he tore his Achilles in 1994, but he probably could have came back.

It's weird to think about him playing until 40 in an era where Iverson, Kidd, Payton started to dominate.

It would've been interesting seeing him play with competition up until 2002. Especially interesting at how good the Pistons would have been with him, Hill, Houston and Dumars.

black1605
06-11-2012, 11:51 PM
He was planning on retiring due to injuries and decline in play before he tore his Achilles. That just sealed the deal.

Hellcrooner
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Well, back in the day it wasnt so strange to retire at such ages ( except some given cases like Mo Malone or kareem.
Players are more durable nowdays.

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Injuries....he got hurt acl like billups this yr...and he won rings already...there was nothing to keep him chasing tge nba

Hawkeye15
06-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I think his achilles torched him late. So injuries is the answer.

NYtilIdie
06-12-2012, 01:47 AM
The technology wasn't the same as it is today in regards to injuries, ACL tears back then were considered career ending, as in today's world a player can bounce back and still have a solid/good career right after.

asandhu23
06-12-2012, 05:07 AM
32 isn't young.

gavinevq
06-12-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1Well, back in the day it wasnt so strange to retire at such ages ( except some given cases like Mo Malone or kareem.
Players are more durable nowdays.

except some given cases like Mo Malone or kareem.

JordansBulls
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
As many have mentioned already and not to mention that Detroit was 20-62 that year with Dumars and Allan Houston. The team wasnt going to contend for another few years, so it made no sense for Isiah to stick around.

smith&wesson
06-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Isiah was the type of player where if he wasnt playing at an elite level he wouldnt want to play any more anyways. the injury was the deciding factor ultimatley.

MadBomber
06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Gotta remember that back in those times, it was physical as hell. I'm sure all that physicality took it's toll on their body. Nowadays with technology, nutrition, and better genes...players are trained for the wear and tear of a nba season.

Also the style of play has changed too.

mark1125
06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
He had his money and rings. Pistons were going into decline and he got hurt.

C_Mund
06-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Isiah was the type of player where if he wasnt playing at an elite level he wouldnt want to play any more anyways. the injury was the deciding factor ultimatley.

I respect that much about his personality, if little else.
He was a real competitor, and he had nothing left to prove. Plus he obviously felt he deserved a head-start as a FO employee for somebody.

sunsfan23
06-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't know about Isaiah, but I know I always wondered the same thing when Kevin Johnson retired. He quit when he was 31-32, and seemed like he still had a lot more left in the tank.

I still remember when he came back for the playoffs 2 years after he retired and led them to a series win. Gave me goosebumps.

JasonJohnHorn
06-12-2012, 10:24 PM
It wasn't uncommon for players to retire at the age at the time. The Pistons were essentially rebuilding, his play depended on quickness and he's lost a step, so he wasn't as good as he had been, and injuries just kind of sealed the deal. Even if he had come back from tha achilles injury, he still wasn't playing at the kind of level that Mark Jackson, John Stockton, Steve Nash and Jason Kidd were playing at into the mid-30's.

Lakersfan2483
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Achillies injury

utahjazzno12fan
06-13-2012, 09:20 AM
He had already decided on retirement before the Achilles injury. He wasn't performing at a high level and the club was horrible.

BULLSFAN0810
06-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Looking back on it, he retired at 32 in 1994.

It's as if Kobe retired two years ago, if Shaq retired seven years ago.

Nash and Kidd are still going at like 39, it makes me wonder how much more Isiah had left. I know he tore his Achilles in 1994, but he probably could have came back.

It's weird to think about him playing until 40 in an era where Iverson, Kidd, Payton started to dominate.

It would've been interesting seeing him play with competition up until 2002. Especially interesting at how good the Pistons would have been with him, Hill, Houston and Dumars.

The the surgeries weren't as clEAN and as effective as they are now. So at 34, and having numerous leg injuries compound the already injury he had no choice but to retire. I think he couldve sat out and rehabbed, but the science may not have permitted him to play at the level he wanted and it wad the logical thing to do.

AsfanSince99
06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't know about Isaiah, but I know I always wondered the same thing when Kevin Johnson retired. He quit when he was 31-32, and seemed like he still had a lot more left in the tank.

I still remember when he came back for the playoffs 2 years after he retired and led them to a series win. Gave me goosebumps.

Kevin Johnson was ALWAYS injured and it finally caught up to him when he decided to hang it up instead of rehab again.

Isaiah was hampered by injuries late in his career and was thinking abt retiring anyway before tearing his achilles - that injury just sealed the deal.

KnicksorBust
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
The Barry Sanders of the NBA. :rolleyes:

JordansBulls
06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
The Barry Sanders of the NBA. :rolleyes:

How so? Isiah was able to win some titles?

javsvt
06-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Cause he wanted to screw up the Knicks.

Missing56&33
06-14-2012, 07:01 PM
He was planning on retiring due to injuries and decline in play before he tore his Achilles. That just sealed the deal.

this and the fact that Isiah had to be on top of his game to have any kind of satisfaction about the game. I couldn't see him taking a reduced role like Kidd and Nash. He had to be on top.