PDA

View Full Version : More Pressure?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-11-2012, 01:38 PM
After game 7, when referring to the Miami Heat, Doris Burke, said "No team in NBA history has been under more scrutiny and more pressure."

Me and my friend started discussing this... He told me the 1997-1998 Chicago Bull's were under more scrutiny and pressure. It was Jordan's last year and potentially the last year that team would be together. Legacies as a team, and legacies as individuals were on the line. Bull's games were sold out by November. Adding to them being more scrutinized, and added to the pressure, Jordan, and the Chicago Bull's were beloved, whereas Miami is problley the most hated team in the league, and LeBron being the most hated player in the league, adding to the pressure. I told him I agreed with what Doris Burk said. Because they're are completly under the microscope, since the "Big 3" was formed. LeBron predicting 7+ championships, the villain roles. Without LeBron winning a title... he quite possibly has the career relevance of Dirk Nowitzki. He won't be able to ever shake the stigma of being a "choke artist".

Who do you guys think was under more scrutiny and pressure? The '97-'98 Bull's or '11-'12 Heat? Or if you think another team was... tell us why.

Hawkeye15
06-11-2012, 01:42 PM
no way on earth a team that already has 5 chips is under more pressure than a LeBron led team going into the finals. Off the top of my head, since he is now 0-2 in the finals, I can't think of another team that has faced this scrutiny in the NBA. If there was, its been YEAAARS.

Wade>You
06-11-2012, 01:43 PM
With the advent of social media + internet and the ability for fans to voice their opinion and connect with analysts/players, there's no comparison.

Jordan would probably be the most disliked player in the NBA right now, regardless of how history paints him as a saint.

LeBron is easily under more pressure.

JordansBulls
06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
What???

The 1998 Bulls weren't under scrutiny, they were just doubted because they were too old and Scottie missed half the season. Not to mention MJ came into the season the first two months playing with a cracked knuckle. The main scrutiny came from management and the players and how everyone knew they would not resign with chicago's management.

Miami's scrutiny is totally different. There scrutiny comes from 3 stars joining forces together in there prime and predicting multiple titles and having two top 5 players in the league at the same time together joining forces.

ManRam
06-11-2012, 01:54 PM
The Heat by about as wide of a margin as possible.

JVG said it right, "James has an every night pressure that no one else has"...and these Finals are the apex of it all. I'm far from being old and wise, but I've never witnessed a player with this much individual pressure and scrutiny in any sport. Every little thing he does is analyzed, scrutinized, broken down, deciphered and blown out of proportion.

Jordan had some pressure on him, but it wasn't ever like this...and I don't think your specific scenario was one of the more pressurizing scenarios. The media and the fans are a different breed these days.

JordansBulls
06-11-2012, 01:57 PM

JVG said it right, "James has an every night pressure that no one else has"...and these Finals are the apex of it all. I'm far from being old and wise, but I've never witnessed a player with this much individual pressure and scrutiny in any sport. Every little thing he does is analyzed, scrutinized, broken down, deciphered and blown out of proportion.

Jordan had some pressure on him, but it wasn't ever like this...and I don't think your specific scenario was one of the more pressurizing scenarios. The media and the fans are a different breed these days.

I don't think a lot of it is Lebron though, I think it is more with the hype he came into the league with with many thinking he can be a top 3 player all time. That in itself put him in the limelight and why he has soo much pressure on him. Not to mention now winning the MVP for a 3rd time and not having a title yet.

Hawkeye15
06-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't think a lot of it is Lebron though, I think it is more with the hype he came into the league with with many thinking he can be a top 3 player all time. That in itself put him in the limelight and why he has soo much pressure on him. Not to mention now winning the MVP for a 3rd time and not having a title yet.

that is just a portion of it though. There are tons of other explanations that all lead up to this: LeBron is the most heavily scrutinized athlete I have ever seen. You even have a good amount of players and coaches saying, "geez, give the guy a break, he is awesome. He gets way too much heat". LeBron could go for 40-20-10 and if they lose the series, he will be labeled a choker.

mjm07
06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
I can't remember a team under more scrutiny/hate to win than The HEAT. Bulls, as JordansBulls, mentioned weren't under much scrutiny or even hate.

There was no facebook or twitter back in 97-98 not as much media coverage as there is now. Answer to the OP's questions is the HEAT by a lot.

Raph12
06-11-2012, 02:48 PM
If Lebron loses, he'll be crucified for it...

KB-Pau-DH2012
06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Just play the game. **** pressure!

Rafer17
06-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Exactly. The blind hate for LeBron is ridiculous, and quite frankly ignorant. Statistically LeBron is the best player in the NBA, but people ignore that due to the fact he exercised his option of being a FA and chose to go to Miami...Yes he predicted a bunch of titles, but I'd rather have my star player guaranteeing titles than doubting the whole season. I am not even a fan of LeBron, but there is so much blind hate and ignorance directed towards LBJ that I want him to win a championship so these people will shut up...

willabeast77
06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
After game 7, when referring to the Miami Heat, Doris Burke, said "No team in NBA history has been under more scrutiny and more pressure."

Me and my friend started discussing this... He told me the 1997-1998 Chicago Bull's were under more scrutiny and pressure. It was Jordan's last year and potentially the last year that team would be together. Legacies as a team, and legacies as individuals were on the line. Bull's games were sold out by November. Adding to them being more scrutinized, and added to the pressure, Jordan, and the Chicago Bull's were beloved, whereas Miami is problley the most hated team in the league, and LeBron being the most hated player in the league, adding to the pressure. I told him I agreed with what Doris Burk said. Because they're are completly under the microscope, since the "Big 3" was formed. LeBron predicting 7+ championships, the villain roles. Without LeBron winning a title... he quite possibly has the career relevance of Dirk Nowitzki. He won't be able to ever shake the stigma of being a "choke artist".

Who do you guys think was under more scrutiny and pressure? The '97-'98 Bull's or '11-'12 Heat? Or if you think another team was... tell us why.

I don't think this is true at all. Unless you have factual proof.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't think this is true at all. Unless you have factual proof.

Unless you've been living under a rock these last two seasons, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize LeBron as well as the Miami Heat aren't to well liked around the league, as far as the fans are concerned.

smith&wesson
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
no way on earth a team that already has 5 chips is under more pressure than a LeBron led team going into the finals. Off the top of my head, since he is now 0-2 in the finals, I can't think of another team that has faced this scrutiny in the NBA. If there was, its been YEAAARS.

Exactly my thoughts when i was reading this. a team with 5 rings fighting for its 6th compared to a team with 0 fighting for 1.