PDA

View Full Version : Yao ming....did houston make the right choice?

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I am watching espn classic the year of yao.
He was the first pick in 02 the best players out of that draft were boozer, stat, caron, prince , nene.
Really nobody super special...but did houston win choosing yao that year..with him the team never made it out of the 1st round and they were always good enough to make the playoffs but thats it leaving them in poor draft position.

For yao being a number 1 pick as a center....im not saying he was a bust he wasn't but did he do enough to be considered worth the first pick?

utl768
06-10-2012, 08:56 PM
he was the right pick

u cant predict injuries

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 08:58 PM
He was the right pick. I don't think anyone drafted that year is still with their original team. So they aren't getting production with Yao now. And they wouldn't be getting production out of anyone else.

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 09:10 PM
He was the right pick. I don't think anyone drafted that year is still with their original team. So they aren't getting production with Yao now. And they wouldn't be getting production out of anyone else.

I think thats what saves them nobody in the draft really was any more produce than yao maybe stat with francis may have been ok but prolly same future as the current rockets.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 09:14 PM
The only thing is they might have been able to trade Boozer or Stat. But I think they would still be in about the same spot.

popo85
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Weak draft minus a few players, he when healthy was a very good player.

Sixerlover
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Their owner made more money off of Yao in those 9 seasons then probably all of those other players would have made combined in merchandise sales, ticket sales, and overall brand recognition. So in the financial sense, yes it was the right move.

On the court it was the right move too, just too bad injuries happened. But put it this way, if you put me in a time machine to the '02 draft and told me everything that would happen with every player in that draft, I'm still taking Yao.

Sssmush
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I am watching espn classic the year of yao.
He was the first pick in 02 the best players out of that draft were boozer, stat, caron, prince , nene.
Really nobody super special...but did houston win choosing yao that year..with him the team never made it out of the 1st round and they were always good enough to make the playoffs but thats it leaving them in poor draft position.

For yao being a number 1 pick as a center....im not saying he was a bust he wasn't but did he do enough to be considered worth the first pick?

If people had known how good Amare would be, then he for sure would've been the first pick.

If I was the GM, I might've traded that #1 pick for multiple future picks and a backup center or something like that, to just build the franchise. There was just too much uncertainty; I mean, Yao is super great, but if I was the GM holding that #1 pick, a 7'6" Chinese guy is just way too much uncertainty for me and I would've traded out. Like if you looked at the history with Shawn Bradley Ralph Sampson then you would've had enough doubts to trade out I think.

The ultimate would be if you traded down to #4, got Amare, then Prince later in the first round, then Boozer in the second round.

But if you wound up with Amare and a 1st round pick in two years or something like that, much better.

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Their owner made more money off of Yao in those 9 seasons then probably all of those other players would have made combined in merchandise sales, ticket sales, and overall brand recognition. So in the financial sense, yes it was the right move.

On the court it was the right move too, just too bad injuries happened. But put it this way, if you put me in a time machine to the '02 draft and told me everything that would happen with every player in that draft, I'm still taking Yao.

I understand what u guys r saying but for them to not get to even the wcf with him kind of seems like a incomplete project..pretty much the team has been average the past ten years.

Then when u think of bigs going 1st the team usually succeed unless ur portland...lol sorry blazer fans....jk

koetravis
06-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Yao was better than all of those players.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Yao is a cash cow and was the best player in that draft when healthy.

Burkey3472
06-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Yao was the right pick.

dylon smoke
06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
boozer was a diamond in the ruff...he went in the second round....amare didn't go super high either....he was the right pick, if you take away his injuries he would have been one of the best centers,,, the guys ****ing 7'6 lol

StinkEye
06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Yao was the best C in the league for a few years, and pretty damn great before injuries killed him. Stat had some amazing performances in the playoffs with the Suns, but Yao was definitely the right pick. Nobody else is really relevant in this discussion.

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Yao is a cash cow and was the best player in that draft when healthy.

He help them financial...but I question if he was a leader for that team

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
If people had known how good Amare would be, then he for sure would've been the first pick.

If I was the GM, I might've traded that #1 pick for multiple future picks and a backup center or something like that, to just build the franchise. There was just too much uncertainty; I mean, Yao is super great, but if I was the GM holding that #1 pick, a 7'6" Chinese guy is just way too much uncertainty for me and I would've traded out. Like if you looked at the history with Shawn Bradley Ralph Sampson then you would've had enough doubts to trade out I think.

The ultimate would be if you traded down to #4, got Amare, then Prince later in the first round, then Boozer in the second round.

But if you wound up with Amare and a 1st round pick in two years or something like that, much better.

Hahahahaha you said Westbrook was Jordan-esque. And then said Stat was better than Yao. Where do you come up with this stuff? Stat = No Defense, No Heart, No killer instict.

Hawkeye15
06-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Um yeah. Not only was Yao probably the best player of the bunch, his marketability crushed theirs.

Wade>You
06-10-2012, 09:48 PM
By far the best player in that draft and we never got to see his full potential.

Can't predict injuries.

Losoway
06-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Yao ming was easily top 2 centers in the league and was really good when healthy

PrettyBoyJ
06-10-2012, 09:49 PM
It was the right choice... He revolutionized The game.. Opened a new market for the league and brought it to new heights..

Wade>You
06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
It was the right choice... He revolutionized The game.. Opened a new market for the league and brought it to new heights..
Rigged.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-10-2012, 09:51 PM

No one else in that draft was a leader anyways.

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 09:58 PM
No one else in that draft was a leader anyways.

Very true...it seems like houston really had no choice but to pick him...i think the league might have used yao....and not just for basketball gain...if u know what I mean

sixer04fan
06-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Sixerlover speaks the truth

Fresno
06-10-2012, 10:04 PM
This is one of the dumbest threads in awhile on the NBA Forum.

The fact that you honestly couldn't figure this out on your own and had to ask the NBA Forum whether or not Yao should've been the #1 pick in 2002 is mindblowing.

What makes you believe any player you just named should've gone #1 over Yao?

Fresno
06-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Very true...it seems like houston really had no choice but to pick him...i think the league might have used yao....and not just for basketball gain...if u know what I mean

Dude, what type of issues do you have with Yao? Complaining about him not being a leader is so damn petty considering he couldn't really speak the language for his first 2-3 years.

"They had no choice but to pick him"?:eyebrow: He was by far the best available player in that draft and 7'6 300+lb Center's with skills don't come around every year.

Sounds like you're a Bulls fan bitter over taking Jason Williams at #2.

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 10:14 PM
This is one of the dumbest threads in awhile on the NBA Forum.

The fact that you honestly couldn't figure this out on your own and had to ask the NBA Forum whether or not Yao should've been the #1 pick in 2002 is mindblowing.

What makes you believe any player you just named should've gone #1 over Yao?

What the hell r u talking bout ....i ask did yao satisfy being the #1 pick ....i never said anybody in the draft was a better choice.

For yao being the 1st pick and not being able to get the team out of the 1st round was it enough or did houston regret it.

STL Don
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes they did. Its a shame he couldn't have last longer but what do you really expect from a Chinese native that is over 7ft6.

topdog
06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Yao was better than all of those players.

He really was becoming dominant right before that last injury. You could argue in hindsight that Amare may have been better long-term (competition-wise), but 7'6" with touch is pretty much unpass-up-able as far as a selection.

Phenomenonsense
06-10-2012, 10:30 PM
People forget how good Yao was.

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Dude, what type of issues do you have with Yao? Complaining about him not being a leader is so damn petty considering he couldn't really speak the language for his first 2-3 years.

"They had no choice but to pick him"?:eyebrow: He was by far the best available player in that draft and 7'6 300+lb Center's with skills don't come around every year.

What does the bulls pick have to do with this....and I said that he wasn't the leader and u help prove that point he came straight from china...he wasnt accustomed to american ball so that sense it was a big risk for him the organization and his teammates.
Knowing yao would be the best player yet really new to everything and having to be shown the ropes.

And I think the organization had no choice but to pick him because of his market ability...

Jayrich28
06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
And just to add remember the following year the 2003 draft with lbj, wade , bosh, and melo...houston didnt even having a 1st that year

Sssmush
06-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Hahahahaha you said Westbrook was Jordan-esque. And then said Stat was better than Yao. Where do you come up with this stuff? Stat = No Defense, No Heart, No killer instict.

Listen to what I'm saying:

If I was the GM, the fact that the draft is top-heavy with a 7'6" Chinese guy would make me very likely to TRADE OUT of that spot, because the likelihood of injury issues is huge.

1. He's a 7'6" guy. All those Shawn Bradley / Manute Bol type guys breakdown easily and frequently.

2. He was also somewhat big and heavy, thus even more likely to breakdown.

3. He wasn't the most athletic.

So, while I agree in principle that you don't use that #1 pick for a different player, I as GM would prefer to trade out of that spot. I don't think anybody in their right mind envisioned Yao dominating like another Hakeem or Shaq and winning a bunch of titles.

And, in fact, everybody from McGrady to Shaq to Garnett etc etc ETC took their turns facializing that guy, because he mostly turned out to be a huge immobile slug that just lurked under the basket and couldn't really jump or move around very fast.

If Houston had wound up with Amare + a 1st round pick the following year, or Amare (or Nene) + Prince or Boozer that same year, I don't think anybody would say that would be a bad outcome.

As far as the marketing dollars, I guess that is another story. I mean they could have drafted J-Lo or Brangelina and made even more dollars in publicity and merchandise, but that is a different question. Unless the Stern told me privately "hey, draft this guy #1 and we'll hook you up in the future" then I'm pretty sure I would definitely trade down, because I never envisioned Yao as winning rings or dominating the league, so the pick had more value being traded. With all the hype, Houston might've been able to get three future 1st round picks or something like that, and for **** sake they could've had Boozer in the second round for nothing.

Amare + 3 first round picks >>>> Yao

ChitownBears22
06-11-2012, 12:12 AM

If I was the GM, the fact that the draft is top-heavy with a 7'6" Chinese guy would make me very likely to TRADE OUT of that spot, because the likelihood of injury issues is huge.

1. He's a 7'6" guy. All those Shawn Bradley / Manute Bol type guys breakdown easily and frequently.

So, while I agree in principle that you don't use that #1 pick for a different player, I as GM would prefer to trade out of that spot. I don't think anybody in their right mind envisioned Yao dominating like another Hakeem or Shaq and winning a bunch of titles.

And, in fact, everybody from McGrady to Shaq to Garnett etc etc ETC took their turns facializing that guy, because he mostly turned out to be a huge immobile slug that just lurked under the basket and couldn't really jump or move around very fast.

If Houston had wound up with Amare + a 1st round pick the following year, or Amare (or Nene) + Prince or Boozer that same year, I don't think anybody would say that would be a bad outcome.

As far as the marketing dollars, I guess that is another story. I mean they could have drafted J-Lo or Brangelina and made even more dollars in publicity and merchandise, but that is a different question. Unless the Stern told me privately "hey, draft this guy #1 and we'll hook you up in the future" then I'm pretty sure I would definitely trade down, because I never envisioned Yao as winning rings or dominating the league, so the pick had more value being traded. With all the hype, Houston might've been able to get three future 1st round picks or something like that, and for **** sake they could've had Boozer in the second round for nothing.

And listen to me. This isn't the NFL. Teams don't trade picks very often. Not during the draft at least. Yao was a cash cow for Houston. It was the right pick for that frachise

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 12:21 AM

So u wouldve traded the pick for additional parts....i wouldn't mind that idea.

Alot of injuries in his career and he only played over 60 games in four seasons..just dont know

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 12:26 AM
And listen to me. This isn't the NFL. Teams don't trade picks very often. Not during the draft at least. Yao was a cash cow for Houston. It was the right pick for that frachise

everyone is talking bout merchandising....what about winning which houston didnt do now they r just a average team not bad enough to improve or good enough to win

ChitownBears22
06-11-2012, 12:29 AM
everyone is talking bout merchandising....what about winning which houston didnt do now they r just a average team not bad enough to improve or good enough to win

They did win. They made the playoffs. By your logic the Cavs should have drafted someone other than LeBron because he didn't win a title and was only good for merchandising. Now they are a below average team. To think they could have gotten TJ Ford. Or traded for 10 1st round picks.

Sssmush
06-11-2012, 12:30 AM

Look, that #1 pick was valuable, very valuable. If I was the GM I'm certain I would've traded it.

Look... a 7'6" Manute Bol / Shawn Bradley guy, who is actually Chinese and doesn't even speak English, and has never played American ball. LoL it's hard to imagine a huger risk on a high profile #1 pick, and with all the hype of him going to "revolutionize the game" I think for sure I would've made a good deal for that pick and let some other team deal with all the drama and the risk.

I mean you could've had a couple lottery picks the following year when Wade, LBJ and Bosh were in the draft. And or you could also have Amare, who is still a very formidable starter and All Star in the league. I can barely remember what it was like to see Yao on sportscenter highlights getting facialized by Shaq or Vince Carter, it seems like forever ago.

ChitownBears22
06-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Look, that #1 pick was valuable, very valuable. If I was the GM I'm certain I would've traded it.

Look... a 7'6" Manute Bol / Shawn Bradley guy, who is actually Chinese and doesn't even speak English, and has never played American ball. LoL it's hard to imagine a huger risk on a high profile #1 pick, and with all the hype of him going to "revolutionize the game" I think for sure I would've made a good deal for that pick and let some other team deal with all the drama and the risk.

I mean you could've had a couple lottery picks the following year when Wade, LBJ and Bosh were in the draft. And or you could also have Amare, who is still a very formidable starter and All Star in the league. I can barely remember what it was like to see Yao on sportscenter highlights getting facialized by Shaq or Vince Carter, it seems like forever ago.

I think it would be easy to be a GM in hindsight as well. Fact is Yao was the best option. He was a franchise player. He dominated the center position for quite some times. Injuries happen, it is gambling for these organizations. Oden was taken over Durant, it happens. Not every pick is a home run. But if you have a chance to get a center that can dominate in the league and create mismatches you take it.

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 12:42 AM
They did win. They made the playoffs. By your logic the Cavs should have drafted someone other than LeBron because he didn't win a title and was only good for merchandising. Now they are a below average team. To think they could have gotten TJ Ford. Or traded for 10 1st round picks.

Losing in the 1st round over and over is not winning....lbj took cavs from worst to 1st and a finals they got plenty from there pick

ChitownBears22
06-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Losing in the 1st round over and over is not winning....lbj took cavs from worst to 1st and a finals they got plenty from there pick

They got the same out of their pick as Houston did with Yao. 0 rings.

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 01:17 AM
They got the same out of their pick as Houston did with Yao. 0 rings.

yao underacheive....houston thought they was getting someone like the dream but it never happened...then on top of that his career ended abruptly.

battskat
06-11-2012, 04:36 AM
Always support the yao
http://www.ckyo.info/jpg1

chrism8188
06-11-2012, 04:52 AM
I'm from Houston. At first I'm like of course Houston made the best choice, u can't predict the future u have to go with what's good now, esspecially with the first pick. Then as I was reading someone said trade for future picks, and the next year in '03 draft was Lebron James.........wowowowowow lol go back in time and trade the first overall in 02 for the the first in 03 somehow lol haha but yea Yao Ming was legit just sucked with injuries

mikekhelxD
06-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt the Rockets played in the second round with Yao?

I think that the Rockets did made the right choice. Who knew that he'll have to endure and later on ruined by injuries. If you actually watch the games from the year he got drafted to his last season, he definitley is a monster. He is close to being perfect. He has so much in his arsenal. It just sucks that the players around him and himself suffered injuries one after another especially during post season.

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
I think they made the right choice. Yao was a unique player and a big guy at a time where there was really only one or two big guys in the league. Passing up on him was just too risky. If it wasn't for injuries to both Yao and McGrady, this team could have been something very special. As a GM you have to make choices based on the talent you see because there is no way of knowing who will be injured and who will not. In hindsight the only players who one might argue have had better careers is Amare and Boozer. Boozer had to deal with his own set of injuries and maybe, had he stayed in one city, he may be seen as a top 5 PF in the league, but we all know that he has stuggled to define himself under different coaches. As for Amare, considering his play in New York, it seems that perhaps Nash was simply making him look better than he actually is. But even if one considers his career to be more impressive than Yao's, he was also just a kid coming out of highschool that year and not many had him as high on the draft board as top 3.

So yeah... Houston made the right move.

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt the Rockets played in the second round with Yao?

I think that the Rockets did made the right choice. Who knew that he'll have to endure and later on ruined by injuries. If you actually watch the games from the year he got drafted to his last season, he definitley is a monster. He is close to being perfect. He has so much in his arsenal. It just sucks that the players around him and himself suffered injuries one after another especially during post season.

Yeah they made it out of the first round in 09.

But that team was never a threat for a title.

Run&Gun
06-11-2012, 07:48 AM
I know it's easy to say in hindsight to trade Yao, but at the time to get a huge center with skills like that don't come along very often, if you just base on skill there have only been 2 centers who have been better in the last 20 years. He had Andrew Bynum's post game but could pass and shoot a mid-range jumper and 80%+ from the FT. He didn't have any glaring weakness like most centers in the league.

Only two #1 picks in the last 20 years since 92 have even won a championship Duncan and Shaq, so if you look at the percentages I think Houston did pretty good. I also don't think Houston did a really good job building around him and getting another injury prone player like T-mac didn't help

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 08:16 AM
I know it's easy to say in hindsight to trade Yao, but at the time to get a huge center with skills like that don't come along very often, if you just base on skill there have only been 2 centers who have been better in the last 20 years. He had Andrew Bynum's post game but could pass and shoot a mid-range jumper and 80%+ from the FT. He didn't have any glaring weakness like most centers in the league.

Only two #1 picks in the last 20 years since 92 have even won a championship Duncan and Shaq, so if you look at the percentages I think Houston did pretty good. I also don't think Houston did a really good job building around him and getting another injury prone player like T-mac didn't help

Excellent post ....i will add lebron and dwight to that list they got there teams to finals and brought 2 mediocre teams to relevant.

Houston on paper always look like title contenders but never was dominant..maybe cuz the division they were in spurs and mavs.

But yeah alot of number one picks havent panned out

javaid64
06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
this is a business is it not, even if they won a chip with the other players, they would not be reaping the benefits of possibly the most marketable/profitable player of his time.

I'm pretty sure cause of Yao, the rockets got recognized around the world during his tenure as much as big market team like lakers and bulls

honestly you make the biggest economic mistake in nba history if you passed on yao

heyman321
06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
you just mad because the Bulls had to settle for Jay Williams lol!

Jarvo
06-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Yao was the right choice.

shen
06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Yao carried them to 2nd round, I remember I had to watch him put Rockets on his back and carry them past the 4 seed Blazers. If Yao had not gotten hurt in the next series they would have gotten past the Lakers as well at which point who knows what happens.

shen
06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Well he and the refs carry Rockers past us.

king4day
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
It was the right pick. He was a large athlete and knew the game. Injuries are why these questions come up. Talentwise, he was one of the best.

juggla53
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Its hard to be a leader when you have to learn a whole new language coming to the NBA, the best player on a team doesnt always have to be a leader but without question he was the best player from that draft and interestingly enough that draft has had some of the worst luck when it comes to injuries, Yao, J-will, amare, boozer two of those guys are out of the NBA and the latter two seem to be only shells of their former selves

Sssmush
06-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I think it would be easy to be a GM in hindsight as well. Fact is Yao was the best option. He was a franchise player. He dominated the center position for quite some times. Injuries happen, it is gambling for these organizations. Oden was taken over Durant, it happens. Not every pick is a home run. But if you have a chance to get a center that can dominate in the league and create mismatches you take it.

I mean, now you're talking Oden over Durant, which I think has to be the very, very worst pick in all of NBA history, certainly the worst mistake ever made with a #1 overall selection. Durant is a legend already, and just getting started, and Oden is more or less out of the league. That's the kind of mistake that can set a franchise back 10-20 years, and have the owners looking to just dump it. BRUTAL.

I'm not saying that Yao was that kind of mistake. Just saying that, even though I see the consensus of most that Yao was definitely worth the pick, and I respect that, but for me, if I was GM, my style of GM'ing, I would have traded for '03 lottery picks if possible. I also had my eye on Amare before that draft, as well as Nene, both of whom seemed like definite NBA starters and probably stars.

There was huge hype for Yao, and that pick was super valuable, so it had high trade value also. For me, I would've passed because of the 7'6" thing, the language barrier, and all the unknowns. Just would've passed. It's not a terrible call though for Houston they way they made it, things could've gone better but they did ok.

rhino17
06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Is this a joke? He was far and away the best player in the draft

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Yao only played more than 60 games 4 times in ten yrs they got out of the 1st round once....u guys critized melo,tmac,and others for playoff success and injuries but not yao....

Yao didnt even win a division title he made all star teams when he didnt even play....yao career stats r 19 and 9.....with the bigs like duncan shaq,etc. He doesn't compare

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 06:34 PM
this is a business is it not, even if they won a chip with the other players, they would not be reaping the benefits of possibly the most marketable/profitable player of his time.

I'm pretty sure cause of Yao, the rockets got recognized around the world during his tenure as much as big market team like lakers and bulls

honestly you make the biggest economic mistake in nba history if you passed on yao
Marketing wise it was great but on the court the rockets were the denver nuggets just a 1st round exit

How much better did the rockets really get....i mean yao was a nice player but him building ur team around was a big risk

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 06:56 PM
It was the right pick. He was a large athlete and knew the game. Injuries are why these questions come up. Talentwise, he was one of the best.

Best what he damn sure isn't a hall of famer ....not in the nba work maybe in china.

mikekhelxD
06-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Best what he damn sure isn't a hall of famer ....not in the nba work maybe in china.

Injuries killed his career. You're comparing Yao and other possibly hall of famers when those players didn't suffer the same or even similar injuries than Yao. If you can't see the talent Yao possess, then I just don't know what to say. If Yao stayed healthy, without a doubt a potential to be HOF.

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Injuries killed his career. You're comparing Yao and other possibly hall of famers when those players didn't suffer the same or even similar injuries than Yao. If you can't see the talent Yao possess, then I just don't know what to say. If Yao stayed healthy, without a doubt a potential to be HOF.

Sounds like excuses ....webber,grant hill,tmac,sabonis,etc,etc. All careers were done in by injuries ...we not talking bout what ifs...oden couldve been special but he wasnt...for what houston gm said they invisioned that he would replace akeem....he didnt come close...what do u think?

Ur # 1 pick career ruined by injuries and early exits. If u were the gm would u have though the yao experiment was a success?

koetravis
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Yao was better than anybody else that came out of that draft. The Rockets don't get McGrady if not for Yao.

Verbal Christ
06-11-2012, 11:12 PM
there sees to be too much ignorance floating around this thread.

so OP you're saying since he was the first overall pick then he should have been a hall of famer right? seems at the beginning of the thread you were 'unsure' and looking for other viewpoints about this topic, and now you're true intent of Yao Hate shines through. as well as a few other posters.

thing with Yao was he was hated for no good reason. people thought that since he was so tall he shouldnt get dunked on, or that he should average 30/20/5 . some bafoon even criticized his inability to speak the english language as a reason why not to draft him? are ya'll freaking kidding me? when did career averages of 19/9 become something that gets looked DOWN upon? its that lebron syndrome. no matter how good he plays it will never be enough for people to fully appreciate what the player could do.

the comparison between shawn bradley and manute bol is the single stupidest thing i've ever heard on here. apart from height they were NOTHING alike. Yao was an unstoppable offensive force when healthy and made the central figure. his ability to pass out of the high post was also a thing of beauty. some people say he wasnt athletic. i think for a 7'6 guy who weighed over 320 lbs he was pretty damn athletic. clumsy could be a better way to describe him, but he was very fluid in his offensive moves.

the true theme here IMO is just that some peoples expectations of Yao were unrealistic, and there personal biases will never really let them appreciate his game, or his importance to the growth of basketball around the world.

AWC713
06-11-2012, 11:21 PM
yao was the best center in the league for a good couple years when he was healthy. his presence in the paint was why houston had the best d in his prime (When JVG, a defensive minded HC was at the helm.

he had postgame moves that were at the top of his class, and regularly took poos on players like dwight howard. seriously. look at his game stats against him compared to what dh12 got against him.

ppl forget that he was 7'6'' and good. great footwork. great ft shooter, like 85% or so. could shoot from 15 and in but was so effective in all assets of the game. truly is sad that his career had to end, he easily could have been his era.

ChI_ShIzzLe
06-11-2012, 11:23 PM

J-Will would've been one of the best PGs in the league right now..he was Jason Kidd with better offense..again, you can't predict injuries and a guy making a terrible mistake by getting on a motorcycle.

Jayrich28
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
I have no hate for yao..just dont think he really got the job done as a member of the rockets..just cuz he wasnt american born doesnt mean he cant be critiqued ...yao career was more injury than success abd the times he made the playoffs they were quick outs

King41
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
i think yao was the right move nobody knows the future

naps
06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
YES. None of the others proved better than him. You can't see injuries. Yao was the best center in the league when he was healthy is his last 2 years. And as from business stand-point, Houston couldn't make half the money if they got ALL of Amare, Boozer, Nene, Caron, and Prince. So it was more than the right choice.

JordansBulls
06-14-2012, 04:37 PM
he was the right pick

u cant predict injuries

This. Not like anyone else in that class has done significantly better either.

Sssmush
06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
there sees to be too much ignorance floating around this thread.

so OP you're saying since he was the first overall pick then he should have been a hall of famer right? seems at the beginning of the thread you were 'unsure' and looking for other viewpoints about this topic, and now you're true intent of Yao Hate shines through. as well as a few other posters.

thing with Yao was he was hated for no good reason. people thought that since he was so tall he shouldnt get dunked on, or that he should average 30/20/5 . some bafoon even criticized his inability to speak the english language as a reason why not to draft him? are ya'll freaking kidding me? when did career averages of 19/9 become something that gets looked DOWN upon? its that lebron syndrome. no matter how good he plays it will never be enough for people to fully appreciate what the player could do.

the comparison between shawn bradley and manute bol is the single stupidest thing i've ever heard on here. apart from height they were NOTHING alike. Yao was an unstoppable offensive force when healthy and made the central figure. his ability to pass out of the high post was also a thing of beauty. some people say he wasnt athletic. i think for a 7'6 guy who weighed over 320 lbs he was pretty damn athletic. clumsy could be a better way to describe him, but he was very fluid in his offensive moves.

the true theme here IMO is just that some peoples expectations of Yao were unrealistic, and there personal biases will never really let them appreciate his game, or his importance to the growth of basketball around the world.

I just compared him to Bradley and Manute Bol, and also Ralph Sampson, because those were the only 7'6" + guys. They all suffered from injury issues, foot, knee, ankle, back, etc, and it was almost certainly because they were so tall and so much stress winds up on their lower body during an NBA season.

So, all this "you can't predict the future" stuff isn't quite true, because, we could and we did. It was fairly obvious that Yao wouldn't be some kind of NBA iron man, or dominate the league like Jordan, again, because he's one of those super super tall dudes and they seem to have a lot more injury issues, for whatever reason. I won't say Yao's being chinese was a question mark, although there hadn't been any chinese NBA players at that point, but the fact that he weighed 300+ was definitely a question mark, because, again, all that weight goes down to the feet.

Sssmush
06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
yao was the best center in the league for a good couple years when he was healthy. his presence in the paint was why houston had the best d in his prime (When JVG, a defensive minded HC was at the helm.

he had postgame moves that were at the top of his class, and regularly took poos on players like dwight howard. seriously. look at his game stats against him compared to what dh12 got against him.

ppl forget that he was 7'6'' and good. great footwork. great ft shooter, like 85% or so. could shoot from 15 and in but was so effective in all assets of the game. truly is sad that his career had to end, he easily could have been his era.

Yao was never the best center in the league, because Shaq was always there, dominating big time. Shaq is a different kind of catfish altogether, and in the process of racking up 4 titles utterly and completely overshadowed Yao in every facet of the game, except maybe FT % if you want to count that.

Yao was a fine player, and his career actually turned out quite good. But I would rather have had Stoudemire + Boozer, both still in action today, or a couple lottery picks in 2003. Yao, even in the last 2 or 3 injury slowed years, was more or less of a non-factor. Like when he retired, by that time people were just "meh" because he was already such a rare sighting on the court.

Slade123
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Sounds like excuses ....webber,grant hill,tmac,sabonis,etc,etc. All careers were done in by injuries ...we not talking bout what ifs...oden couldve been special but he wasnt...for what houston gm said they invisioned that he would replace akeem....he didnt come close...what do u think?

Ur # 1 pick career ruined by injuries and early exits. If u were the gm would u have though the yao experiment was a success?

It's pretty obvious now; you're just mad that the Bulls picked Jason Williams.

Yao was by far the best player in the draft and the right choice. Get over it!!!

Missing56&33
06-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes.....Yao was a 7fter with skills and a soft touch around the basket.

After what Portland did twice this shouldn't even be a discussion.

BobbyHillSwag
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
lol they absolutely made the right choice. No one knew he would be injury prone. He truly was a great player.

smith&wesson
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
If yao wasnt injured he would be the 2nd best C in the league if not the best so yes it was the right pick.

John Walls Era
06-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Houston.... did Yao make the right choice? He was way too loyal and never demanded to get traded.

pd1dish
06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
do you know how much money Yao made that organization? that alone made it worth yet and while Yao was actually playing, he made a bigger impact than any of those other players would have made.

Jayrich28
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
True u cant predict injuries.....yao made them alot of money and brought in alot of new fans...just no playoff success or rings or division banners , and conference banners.

So who failed yao or management?

Jayrich28
06-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Stoudemire won rookie of the yr and he has had a better career than yao

Jayrich28
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Yao was better than anybody else that came out of that draft. The Rockets don't get McGrady if not for Yao.
So yao was better than amare....really

H-town Mastodon
06-14-2012, 08:06 PM
As a guy who is a rocket fan and saw them get the number 1 pick in 02 and looking back on what happens now i would still pick Yao number one, injuries sucked but I still enjoyed seeing him play in a Rockets uni for the years he did and while the only other person i'd try to make some case for replacing yao at 1 is amare i still loved Yao here as a fan and also yes Yao actually did get out of the first round (remember the year we had Artest?) but it was that second round series injury that was the beginning of the end :(

DerekRE_3
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Yao made the Rockets so much freaking money.

Jayrich28
06-14-2012, 08:17 PM
As a guy who is a rocket fan and saw them get the number 1 pick in 02 and looking back on what happens now i would still pick Yao number one, injuries sucked but I still enjoyed seeing him play in a Rockets uni for the years he did and while the only other person i'd try to make some case for replacing yao at 1 is amare i still loved Yao here as a fan and also yes Yao actually did get out of the first round (remember the year we had Artest?) but it was that second round series injury that was the beginning of the end :(
Thx for the post your a houston fan so I definetly wanna hear how u felt about yao years with houston.

I guess most people here felt for yao for his career ending early...ala brandon roy.