PDA

View Full Version : Not Shaking Hands After Losses

*Superman*
06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Wondering what everyone's take is on players not shaking hands after a series. I remember when James did it against the Magic in the ECF everyone went off on him. Before the game even ended Rondo and KG were headed to the locker room.

You look at all three of those guys and you know something stands out. All three of them are competitive as hell. I don't really mind it, yeah looks like a ***** move, but sometimes it is better to do what you want then force yourself to do something.

hugepatsfan
06-10-2012, 01:03 AM
No big deal at all IMO.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 01:05 AM
I think it is. It is something we teach kids at a young age to do. Respect your opponent. It shows little class if you don't do it. I have seen players I like in the past not shake hands and I find it embarrassing.

Big Zo
06-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Boom boom go to bed.

Hawkeye15
06-10-2012, 01:09 AM
http://hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/too-much-love

nuff said.

Cal827
06-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Didn't we just have this conversation when a few Pacers just went to the locker room after Miami pasted them in the last games of that series? lol

Showtime Steve
06-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Its a competition. They might as well pick them up off the floor when they fall too? A lot of "in game" activities cause hatred in a 7 game series. Watch the **** talking and bad sportmanship in the finals....

Max.This
06-10-2012, 01:12 AM
In my opinion its not a big deal. Noone besides the players know what talk goes on during the games. There probably talking so much crap to one another that it'd be awkward to just say good game. Its like when rondo bumped into James at the free throw line during a game. Nudged him slightly and James was like "mother****er". You really think they want to shake hands after the game

hugepatsfan
06-10-2012, 01:14 AM
It would have been nice though if KG and Rondo stayed out on the court though because I thought the scene at the end of the game was awesome and them being out there would have made it that much better.

Wade>You
06-10-2012, 01:15 AM
I think it is. It is something we teach kids at a young age to do. Respect your opponent. It shows little class if you don't do it. I have seen players I like in the past not shake hands and I find it embarrassing.Good post.

naps
It's a deal when LeBron doesn't do it.

It's not a deal when anyone else does it.

What's new in this world?

JC_
I'm sure a lot of them will shake hands off the court the next time they see eachother. No reason they should have to if they don't feel up to it after the game. It would be different if NBA players never see eachother but a lot of them have respect for eachother and not shaking hands after a hard fought series doesn't change that.

*Superman*

nuff said.

Nice read. I agreed with these parts.

So why is there such a lovefest going on every time I watch a pregame warm-up and a game? The playoffs are getting ready to start and I get geared up to support my favorite team, but in the same instance gear up to cheer against teams I donít want to win.

What turns me off is when I get to the game, I want focused warm-ups and players staying on each end of the court. But what I see is some players from teams talking, hugging and laughing. That sight makes me nauseous.

Basketball is his life. When you lose, you go home and sulk, get better and think about redeeming yourself the next year. You donít think about going to hug a guy thatís jumping up and down having a party at your expense. What you do is go take a shower, sulk and get your emotions in order. Then, if inclined to do so, go to their locker room and congratulate the victors.

Cal827
06-10-2012, 01:17 AM
It's a deal when LeBron doesn't do it.

It's not a deal when anyone else does it.

What's new in this world?

Lebron won a game 7 :D

But in general, I think they should shake hands afterwards... Sportsmanship is always good. I was happy to see Lebron change his ways after walking off against Orlando the year before... it annoyed me when some of Boston walked off without shaking with LA two yrs ago... and it's annoying now... Then again, I guess KG feared getting T-ed up for shaking hands.

sweet-d
06-10-2012, 01:17 AM
yeah baby YEAH!!

JC_
06-10-2012, 01:19 AM
I think it is. It is something we teach kids at a young age to do. Respect your opponent. It shows little class if you don't do it. I have seen players I like in the past not shake hands and I find it embarrassing.

It's good to teach kids that but there are a lot of times in the NBA where it really shouldn't be a big deal.

xxplayerxx23
06-10-2012, 01:24 AM
it was a frustrating loss, but poor sportsmanship, Should of shook there hands real quick then went to the locker room

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 01:28 AM
It's good to teach kids that but there are a lot of times in the NBA where it really shouldn't be a big deal.

It should be a big deal. The NBA advocates community and sportsmanship through the NBA cares program yet the players themselves don't live up to those standards. You can't have it both ways.

tredigs
06-10-2012, 01:35 AM
My take on this is if you make it there, you have earned the right to deal with it as you please.

Can't stand a person who legitimately gets self righteous one way or the other on this issue. It's on them, and most of the time that ****'s situational.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 01:38 AM
no...who gives a ****?

Wade>You
06-10-2012, 01:40 AM
no...who gives a ****?I don't understand why people ask this when there's clearly people talking about it. Apparently, there are people that give a ****.

xxplayerxx23
06-10-2012, 01:41 AM
its all about the children

Hellcrooner
06-10-2012, 01:41 AM
its tasteless.
You need to know how to behave win or lose.

NoahH
06-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Why did Lebron get crucified for it then and no one else does? The game wasn't over and Rondo had already peaced it

topdog
06-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Again, I can respect it either way but I would be happy to see a return to greater animosity on the court - not chit-chatting and hugging. Start the game with a handshake or something and then go to war.

0nekhmer
06-10-2012, 01:49 AM
I always shake hands after I play, even if I got whooped, I'd always respective their game. Unless of course they were *******s.

rhino17
06-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Not at all. Its an arbitrary process to begin with and is not done with true meaning of anything, so not doing doesn't matter.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I don't understand why people ask this when there's clearly people talking about it. Apparently, there are people that give a ****.

I don't see people on TV talking about it. it's just a stupid/pointless question/situation that people here bring up because Lebron got roasted for not doing it 3-4 years ago, and want to know why other people don't get blamed for doing it. Lebron did it a long *** time ago and people need to get over it. I see it nowhere but here.

If u have friends/former teammates on the opposing team and you wanna shake hands, good for you. If you lost to a rival that you hate and don't feel like shaking hands, good for you too.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 02:02 AM
I don't see people on TV talking about it. it's just a stupid/pointless question/situation that people here bring up because Lebron got roasted for not doing it 3-4 years ago, and want to know why other people don't get blamed for doing it. Lebron did it a long *** time ago and people need to get over it. I see it nowhere but here.

Message Board/ Forums are an area to discuss topics. We are in a basketball forum and part of the game is shaking hands at the end. That is why we are talking about it. If you don't think it is relevant then leave. It is simple.

xxplayerxx23
06-10-2012, 02:04 AM
PSD Threads>Espn

Chronz
06-10-2012, 02:05 AM
KG and Rondo were doing the most barking, I wasnt surprised to see them run off rather than face embarrassment. Everyone has a moment like that

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Message Board/ Forums are an area to discuss topics. We are in a basketball forum and part of the game is shaking hands at the end. That is why we are talking about it. If you don't think it is relevant then leave. It is simple.
if it was part of the game then everybody would be required to do it, like they do in Hockey, and before games in soccer. you don't have to do it if you don't want to. it's annoying because a thread like this is made after every series when a team gets eliminated.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 02:09 AM
if it was part of the game then everybody would be required to do it, like they do in Hockey, and before games in soccer. you don't have to do it if you don't want to. it's annoying because a thread like this is made after every series when a team gets eliminated.

Didn't see it after the OKC/Spurs series. Oh that is right, that is because the players congratulated eachother.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Didn't see it after the OKC/Spurs series. Oh that is right, that is because the players congratulated eachother.

no **** Sherlock...

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 02:12 AM
So your comment was wrong Watson.

miller74
06-10-2012, 02:12 AM
No big deal at all IMO.

It is a big deal, it's the point when you acknowledge multiple contest vs an opponent it's about respect, regardless how nasty the serious. It takes a a real man to congratulate an the opposition after a tough loss.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 02:13 AM
So your comment was wrong Watson.

I see over-exaggeration and sarcasm flies over your head. Obviously threads don't get made after every series, but it seems after every time this situation comes up someone makes a thread about it.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 02:15 AM
I see over-exaggeration and sarcasm flies over your head. Obviously threads don't get made after every series, but it seems after every time this situation comes up someone makes a thread about it.

That is because it shows that some players lack class and maturity.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 02:19 AM
That is because it shows that some players lack class and maturity.

And that's where I disagree. Not shaking hands isn't a sign of disrespect or lack of class. Clotheslining players and elbowing players in garbage time of a game you're getting blown out in (Bynum/Odom/Artest last year) is a lack of class and maturity. You aren't required to shake hands like the NHL or Soccer, so you don't have to do it. Maybe if they were required, then I'd agree with your point.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 02:21 AM
In competition you show respect to your opponent after a match by shaking hands. It has been done for years in the NBA. Why stop now?

Losoway
06-10-2012, 02:22 AM
very big deal ...rondo really acted like a ***** tonight ..even paul pierced a dude that talked a whole lotta **** thru out this series ...shooked the heat hands after

Losoway
06-10-2012, 02:23 AM
It is a big deal, it's the point when you acknowledge multiple contest vs an opponent it's about respect, regardless how nasty the serious. It takes a a real man to congratulate an the opposition after a tough loss.

Thisss :clap::clap::clap::clap:

JC_
06-10-2012, 02:23 AM
It should be a big deal. The NBA advocates community and sportsmanship through the NBA cares program yet the players themselves don't live up to those standards. You can't have it both ways.

You CAN have it both ways. Players do a lot for different communities, that is one of the awesome things about the NBA but for people to expect them all to go out of their way to shake hands right away after a grueling series is overboard IMO. I'm not saying they shouldn't shake hands, I'm just saying it's not that big of a deal if someone doesn't.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-10-2012, 02:24 AM
It only became a big deal when Lebron did it.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 02:26 AM
In competition you show respect to your opponent after a match by shaking hands. It has been done for years in the NBA. Why stop now?

yea, on your own will. and it's not just the NBA it's almost every sport you have the right to go do it. there's also been instances where players haven't shaken hands in the NBA back in the day, just like there will be in the future. I don't know why it bothers people so much. I doubt Miami gave a crap about KG and Rondo not shaking hands.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2012, 02:27 AM
It only became a big deal when Lebron did it.

exactly. I don't even like Lebron now and I didn't give a crap when he did it.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2012, 02:28 AM
It doesn't bother me per se. It just seems like a big double standard. Media calls out LeBron when he didn't do it. Doesn't say boo when it happens to him.

JC_
06-10-2012, 02:31 AM
And that's where I disagree. Not shaking hands isn't a sign of disrespect or lack of class. Clotheslining players and elbowing players in garbage time of a game you're getting blown out in (Bynum/Odom/Artest last year) is a lack of class and maturity. You aren't required to shake hands like the NHL or Soccer, so you don't have to do it. Maybe if they were required, then I'd agree with your point.

I agree for the most part. If I was on the Heat and we just beat the Celtics who played their ***** off, I would not feel disrespected if someone didn't come and shake my hand. I would let that player cool down and depending on who it was I'd go and give them props for a good series later on.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-10-2012, 02:38 AM
I don't even get why people are complaining about not shaking hands. If you're pissed/disappointed with yourself, it's not a sign of disrespect to the opposition.

I'm sure you people wouldn't mind a little alone time when emotions get the best of you?

topdog
06-10-2012, 02:41 AM

I really think it should be a matter of shaking hands beforehand and setting the tone of respect there. As soon as that ball goes up, you have no friends out there. You play to win and that means you play with intensity.

In the playoffs, you congratulate the other team on the podium - after you have had a chance to cool down. The whole "good game" line-up thing that they have you do in children's sports is so fake. You walk past each other with your hand out saying "good game" mechanically.

If we want to talk about sportsmanship, then: don't flop, admit to the ref you touched the ball last, don't whine to the refs, help a player up when he gets knocked down, don't stare down players, just dunk - don't twirl or **** it back. These are all bigger issues in teaching children "sportsmanship."

smiddy012
06-10-2012, 02:43 AM
People don't respect the Heat... this isn't anything new.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-10-2012, 02:46 AM

Athletes don't shake hands all the time. It's not trying to be disrespectful most cases.

TheJesus
06-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Answer to all questions similar to the one posed by the original poster:

Did Lebron do it? If so, yes, it's a big deal to the point where it damages his legacy and accomplishments.

If Lebron did not do it, it is not a big deal.

JLynn943
06-10-2012, 03:21 AM
It's not a big deal. I just think it shows their character.

cutiepie80
06-10-2012, 03:26 AM
NO problem at all. These players take it to heart and want to beat each other. The heat will never get congratulated though because players don't respect them because of their constant complaining about calls.

Wade was jumping up and down like a baby after he got blocked, not caring about defense on the play. Who wants to shake hands with a baby like that?

Ebbs
06-10-2012, 03:58 AM

nuff said.

This sums it up.

That being said **** Rondo and KG. They are both scum bags and if it's not ok for LeBron to do it you better hold then to the same standard

ChicagoFan4Eva
06-10-2012, 04:17 AM
pistons didn't do it during the walk out game :shrug:

ChicagoFan4Eva
06-10-2012, 04:17 AM
KG and rondo > lebron

Ebbs
06-10-2012, 04:22 AM
KG and rondo > lebron

LeBron > Rondo + KG + Pierce + Allen?

Proven by the fact he just carried the Heat to a victory over all of them with an injured or missing bosh and a terrible series by Wade.

sjbirds
06-10-2012, 04:28 AM
I think its a ***** move... they left before the game was even over ... c'mon u got hockey players who kill each other all series man up and shake hands no matter what. Go out like a man and congratulate the better team

Chavacano
06-10-2012, 10:52 AM
It's no big deal IMO. It's not like it's mandatory. :laugh2:

Eagles4Lyfe
06-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Well after all the crap Garnetts said to them how can he even show him face after losing the series?? lol it would've looked weird and sucks the first real Big 3 are coming to an end but I can understand why KG didn't stay around.
But Pierce, Doc stayed and I think Doc told Lebron why Rondo n KG weren't there either so its all good.

ManRam
06-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't care. It's the heat of the moment and emotions are high. It seems that generally the majority doesn't care. The only time it's news is when LeBron does it. Remember ESPN talking about it literally for days.

It's awesome when players do. There were some.nice moments after the game yesterday that help make the NBA so much more awesome. But players don't have to. I understand why Rondo ans KG were so upset. That might sadly be the end of an era

ugafan
06-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Why did Lebron get crucified for it then and no one else does? The game wasn't over and Rondo had already peaced it

Yeah, this.

Funny thing is some of the ****ing idiots who killed LeBron for this say it's no big deal. Ha.

Gram
06-10-2012, 05:08 PM
If I ever coached a team I'd expect my players to shake hands. But I don't really care if it's not my team who's not shaking hands.