PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pritchard to Become Pacers GM

xabial
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Finally.. I always thought he was fired unfairly because the owners were sour at him for drafting Oden ahead of Durant (Even though 29 Other GM's at the time would've done the same). It wasn't his fault because No one expected Oden to be the most injury Prone No.1 Overall Pick in NBA history. The guy is 7-0 285 Pounds For crying out Loud.

His injured Portland team always made the Playoffs in the Tough Western Conference., even without Oden.

He has made some really AMAZING trades during his tenure:

He Traded Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa for LaMarcus Aldridge.
He traded Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff, and a 2008 2nd Round pick for Randy Foye.
He Traded Randy Foye for Brandon Roy.
He traded Darrell Arthur and Joey Dorsey for Nicolus Batum.
He traded cash for Rudy Fernandez. (Set NBA Record for Three Pointers Made By Rookie)

In my eyes, Portland's always been this good, because of this man. Nicolus Batum, and LaMarcus Aldridge are the future of this team, and he's the reason they play for Portland. He should not have been fired in the first place.

Glad to see he's finally back in the rightful position he belongs. GM of a Rising Pacers Team. Interested to see the type of moves he'll make as GM of the Pacers, because his style as a GMing is very aggressive.

Here's the Article Below:

As Larry Bird finalizes his deal to continue as Indiana Pacers president, he plans to elevate Kevin Pritchard to become the franchise’s general manager, multiple league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Pritchard has become a favorite of Bird’s since his hiring as the Pacers' director of player personnel a year ago. Pritchard’s promotion will spell the end of David Morway’s successful tenure as GM, sources said.

Despite joining the organization as a subordinate to Morway, Pritchard rapidly usurped power and influence since his hiring a year ago, league sources said. Pacers owner Herb Simon and Morway were wary of bringing Pritchard into the organization, sources said, but Bird trusts Pritchard’s counsel and has pushed for this change.

Bird still has to finalize a deal with Simon for Pritchard’s promotion to be made official.

Pritchard had a modestly successfully, but tumultuous three-year run as the Portland Trail Blazers' GM from 2007-10. He drafted LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Nic Batum, but also had some first-round picks – that cost the Blazers millions of dollars to acquire – never pan out. Pritchard’s self-aggrandizing management style alienated those inside and outside the Blazers organization and ultimately led to owner Paul Allen firing him on draft night in 2010.

In some ways, Pritchard is best known for jumpstarting the Oklahoma City Thunder’s rise to prominence in the Western Conference after he chose Greg Oden over Kevin Durant with the first pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Landing Durant turned out to be a seminal moment for the freshly crowned 2012 Western Conference champions.

The Pacers' move is largely baffling to league executives who believe Morway played a significant part in the franchise's rise to contention in the Eastern Conference this season. Morway helped replenish the Pacers through the draft and trades. Indiana lost in six games to the Miami Heat in the East semifinals.

(Source- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--larry-bird-plans-to-promote-kevin-pritchard-to-pacers-gm.html)

Via- Yahoo Sports

b@llhog24
06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Good pick up. So does this means that Bird officially retired?

xabial
06-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Good pick up. So does this means that Bird officially retired?

It was Bird's Call. If you read the article, it Says Bird will remain President of the Pacers (Whatever that Position Means). Bird's successor to the GM Position, David Morway's will step down and is not the GM of the Pacers anymore and will be replaced by Kevin Pritchard. (Seems to me David Morway is fired, or in a greatly reduced role).

This just means Kevin Pritchard will get a major boost in Power when handling Basketball operations. Pacers Owners were wary of bringing him into the organization but Pritchard had Bird's Trust, and Bird was the one who pushed for his hiring. It seems like they work well together.

Interested to see what Pritchard will do to revamp this young Rising Indiana Squad.

IndyRealist
06-08-2012, 07:46 PM
As far as I can tell, fans really had no idea what Morway actually did. Most of the credit seemed to go to Bird, so I'm not sure why league execs would think otherwise.

GoPacers33
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Bird will still control the team like he has for about 4 years. Pritch will be his right hand man though

llemon
06-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Nets should went after him rather than King.

Of course, Rod Thorn was determined to bring down the Nets franchise, as was clearly indicated in his last 6 years of running the Nets.

So Thorn recommended King as GM, and refused to go hard after Thibs (who is unbelievably underpaid, and supposedly money was no object to Proky).

JasonJohnHorn
06-08-2012, 10:21 PM
He seems to be really good at drafting players, and that's 90% of the battle right there. The other 10% is know which free agents to sign and knowing enough to not give more in a trade than what you are getting.

This should help the Pacers. But my only concern is that in Portland Pritchard was allowed to spend. I don't think the Pacers will have that same mentalitiy. He will have to be more frugal.

RLundi
06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Damn.

Chronz
06-08-2012, 11:53 PM
FUARK, I was hoping he would come to LA. Damn you Bird

Sly Guy
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
agreed. Portland's had the injury bug, if any of this was to be known beforehand, it's likely the fault of their medical staff and their evaluations of players, not the those making choice based on talent.

xabial
06-09-2012, 11:31 AM
FUARK, I was hoping he would come to LA. Damn you Bird

Same, except I wanted him to go to my Knicks when the GM Spot was vacant. Dolan as always decides to screw the Franchise by going internally and hiring glen grunswald. (Who? Exactly) (Oh well..At least he Signed Tyson Chandler)

FACK I wanted Kevin Pritchardd!!

D-Leethal
06-09-2012, 11:39 AM
He has a great resume and has done some great things, but everything you read says hes a grade A douchebag and very tough to work with.

shen
06-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Pritch was fired cause was a self absorbed whiny *****. He thought he was more important then anyone. He refused to make trades other then to get euro players at the draft. ESPN over rated him more then they have anyone else ever. In the end only 1 of his deals worked out. Maybe with Bird around to make Pritch his ***** Pritch will stay in line. However first second Bird is not there he will **** over everyone employed by the Pacers.

shen
06-09-2012, 11:43 AM
He has a great resume and has done some great things, but everything you read says hes a grade A douchebag and very tough to work with.

That's why his staff chose to stay in Portland when Allen finally kicked him. No one who works with him can stand him. Though with Bird to keep him in line maybe he will grow up and work out.

akesh99
06-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Great move by Indiana. This franchise really seems to have their **** together

xabial
06-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Pritch was fired cause was a self absorbed whiny *****. He thought he was more important then anyone. He refused to make trades other then to get euro players at the draft. ESPN over rated him more then they have anyone else ever. In the end only 1 of his deals worked out. Maybe with Bird around to make Pritch his ***** Pritch will stay in line. However first second Bird is not there he will **** over everyone employed by the Pacers.

How Many GM's Trade for and Draft LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy, in what was considered to be one of the weakest Drafts in NBA History? (2006 NBA Draft).

Hell I'd be cocky and self-absorbed too.

Btw, Three of his trades worked out, Not One.

Brandon Roy Was a Superstar, who made Portland significant for a few years until his retirement. I'd take three to four years of Brandon Roy over Randy Foye ANY DAY. I will remind you the 2006 Draft was one of the weakest Drafts in the history of the League. (Bargnani Was the 1st overall Pick, that says it all).

Tyrus Thomas, and Viktor Khryapa (Who?), for LaMarcus Aldrige. Again He, (And I hesitate to use this word), completely Raped the Bulls in this trade.
LaMarcus Aldrige is an All Star PF, who consistently performs year after year. He's one of their best players, One of the leagues best PF's and He's showing he's worth his contract extension. Tyrus Thomas is an overpaid Bum, who may never earn a penny in his contract---ever. (The Bobcats are DYING to unload him, and theres no takers).

He traded Darrell Arthur and Joey Dorsey (Who?) for Nicolus Batum.
Another HUGE win. Batum is the future of the franchise. Nuggets were in love with him and were practically begging Portland to try to trade for him in the Melo-Drama Saga. He's a really good Player too, and their future. Huge WIN in this trade.

Finally he traded Cash For Rudy Fernandez.
Rudy Went on to set the NBA record for three pointers made by a rookie and went on to became a fan favorite. (Sounds to me he paid off the $3M Portland Paid, to trade for him)
Eventually Rudy grew frustrated with his role, and made public trade remarks (He was eventually traded), but he gave his team two very good years. He was just a whiny **** who wanted more PT.

Sounds to me like Pritchard wasnt getting enough respect in Portland.

FYI the European players that didn't pan out that he traded Cash for (Sergio Rodriguez), were traded for draft picks. (31st overall Pick), so its not like they had ZERO trade value.

Matrix3132
06-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Finally.. I always thought he was fired unfairly because the owners were sour at him for drafting Oden ahead of Durant (Even though 29 Other GM's at the time would've done the same). It wasn't his fault because No one expected Oden to be the most injury Prone No.1 Overall Pick in NBA history. The guy is 7-0 285 Pounds For crying out Loud.

His injured Portland team always made the Playoffs in the Tough Western Conference., even without Oden.

He has made some really AMAZING trades during his tenure:

He Traded Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa for LaMarcus Aldridge.
He traded Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff, and a 2008 2nd Round pick for Randy Foye.
He Traded Randy Foye for Brandon Roy.
He traded Darrell Arthur and Joey Dorsey for Nicolus Batum.
He traded cash for Rudy Fernandez. (Set NBA Record for Three Pointers Made By Rookie)

In my eyes, Portland's always been this good, because of this man. Nicolus Batum, and LaMarcus Aldridge are the future of this team, and he's the reason they play for Portland. He should not have been fired in the first place.

Glad to see he's finally back in the rightful position he belongs. GM of a Rising Pacers Team. Interested to see the type of moves he'll make as GM of the Pacers, because his style as a GMing is very aggressive.

Here's the Article Below:

As Larry Bird finalizes his deal to continue as Indiana Pacers president, he plans to elevate Kevin Pritchard to become the franchise’s general manager, multiple league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Pritchard has become a favorite of Bird’s since his hiring as the Pacers' director of player personnel a year ago. Pritchard’s promotion will spell the end of David Morway’s successful tenure as GM, sources said.

Despite joining the organization as a subordinate to Morway, Pritchard rapidly usurped power and influence since his hiring a year ago, league sources said. Pacers owner Herb Simon and Morway were wary of bringing Pritchard into the organization, sources said, but Bird trusts Pritchard’s counsel and has pushed for this change.

Bird still has to finalize a deal with Simon for Pritchard’s promotion to be made official.

Pritchard had a modestly successfully, but tumultuous three-year run as the Portland Trail Blazers' GM from 2007-10. He drafted LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Nic Batum, but also had some first-round picks – that cost the Blazers millions of dollars to acquire – never pan out. Pritchard’s self-aggrandizing management style alienated those inside and outside the Blazers organization and ultimately led to owner Paul Allen firing him on draft night in 2010.

In some ways, Pritchard is best known for jumpstarting the Oklahoma City Thunder’s rise to prominence in the Western Conference after he chose Greg Oden over Kevin Durant with the first pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Landing Durant turned out to be a seminal moment for the freshly crowned 2012 Western Conference champions.

The Pacers' move is largely baffling to league executives who believe Morway played a significant part in the franchise's rise to contention in the Eastern Conference this season. Morway helped replenish the Pacers through the draft and trades. Indiana lost in six games to the Miami Heat in the East semifinals.

(Source- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--larry-bird-plans-to-promote-kevin-pritchard-to-pacers-gm.html)

Via- Yahoo Sports

If that was completely true then he would've been fired sooner. I think they just buried themselves with the bad luck of oden/roy that they just needed a fresh start.

also, some of the trades/deals you mentioned, i.e. the roy/aldridge trades, were when he was an assistant gm but you can give him sole credit if you want to

shen
06-09-2012, 12:22 PM
He had nothing to to with LMA though. It was his predecessor who set that up. Rudy was a huge failure along with all HIS moves outside of Batum.

shen
06-09-2012, 12:24 PM
For the record when I said only 1 of his moves worked out it was the Batum pick.

xabial
06-09-2012, 12:44 PM
If that was completely true then he would've been fired sooner. I think they just buried themselves with the bad luck of oden/roy that they just needed a fresh start.

also, some of the trades/deals you mentioned, i.e. the roy/aldridge trades, were when he was an assistant gm but you can give him sole credit if you want to

He had nothing to to with LMA though. It was his predecessor who set that up. Rudy was a huge failure along with all HIS moves outside of Batum.

Evan as an assistant GM Pritchard was heavily involved in all those three trades. I still think he's one of the leagues best GM's. He never really handed out one bad contract, no matter how tempting. (Even if Portland was under the Cap). He worked with what he had and tried to build around them.

Rudy wasn't a failure, he gave Portland one to two good years, and broke the NBA Record for 3's made by a rookie. No one would know Rudy would demand a trade in the future, because he's unhappy with his PT.
They gave up nothing for Rudy (Cash), so it isn't exactly a failure.

His squad never missed the playoffs ONCE, after Oden was drafted.

shen
06-09-2012, 12:47 PM
He did not work out. 1 good year does not change that. He was a wasted pick. He thought he should start over a multi time all star, that is not just unhappy about pt, that is a cancer.

shen
06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Pritchard did not do the LMA or Roy deals, ESPN just wanted someone to pump up and Pritch slap had a nice ring to it.

xabial
06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Pritchard did not do the LMA or Roy deals, ESPN just wanted someone to pump up and Pritch slap had a nice ring to it.

Really? So what do Assistant GM's do all day? Just sit around and do nothing?

He was involved in all three trades involving his predecessor. And the fact that Pritchard NEVER handed out one bad contract in his three year tenure says something in itself. (He actually did the opposite unloading Zach Randolph's mammoth contract to the Knicks, so LaMurcas could THRIVE.)

shen
06-09-2012, 12:55 PM
He handed out 3 contracts while with Blazers, kind of hard to give a mammoth bad deal when you don't give any deals.

shen
06-09-2012, 12:56 PM
He is a horrible GM who is completely in love with taking Euro players when ever he has a chance because he played over there. His favorite past time is looking at himself in mirror while turning down trades that actually make the team better. This is the GM that turned down Paul for Batum! In the time it took Allen to slap since into him Hornets changed dang mind.

xabial
06-09-2012, 01:06 PM
He handed out 3 contracts while with Blazers, kind of hard to give a mammoth bad deal when you don't give any deals.

You don't need to give out any Ridiculous contracts when you already have a good team! Its good that he stayed conservative, he could've easily paid the next Tyrus Thomas, or Haywood. Portland's not cheap, they signed LaMarcus Aldrige and Brandon Roy to Massive Extensions. Paul Allen is one of the richest owners so moneys no problem. ($14.2B Net worth as of 2012).

He is a horrible GM who is completely in love with taking Euro players when ever he has a chance because he played over there. His favorite past time is looking at himself in mirror while turning down trades that actually make the team better. This is the GM that turned down Paul for Batum! In the time it took Allen to slap since into him Hornets changed dang mind.

Wow, I think I read that somewhere too. I mean Batum is really good, and is the future of that franchise, but turning down Paul for him, is really overrating your players IMO. Still, It was Allen's fault he should've overruled him. This is an example of an owner not knowing when to take control when he can. (I mean He was going to FIRE him anyway!! Lol)

Only way to see if turning down that trade is jsutified is if, Maybe Paul did not want to sign an extension with portland? LaMarcus is an allstar, but he's No Blake Griffin, and Portland is No LA.

shen
06-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Paul wanted to play with Roy and LMA. Pritch had a habit of over valuing players and not giving Allen all the info. Pritch flat out lied to Allen several times, Allen still supported Pritch till he talked to rest the organization and they said "fire his ***". They all gave him the full story on everything Pritch had been doing, then Allen fired him.

xabial
06-09-2012, 01:43 PM

I'm confused Did Allen change Pritch's mind? Or

Paul wanted to play with Roy and LMA. Pritch had a habit of over valuing players and not giving Allen all the info. Pritch flat out lied to Allen several times, Allen still supported Pritch till he talked to rest the organization and they said "fire his ***". They all gave him the full story on everything Pritch had been doing, then Allen fired him.

Enforced the trade had he knew all the details.

Regardless, seems like Pritch caused a lot of controversy working for Portland. I never ever read any of this anywhere, other than Pritch had his differences with the organization and Allen. There were never really any specifics, I even read somewhere they compensated Pritchard to have a Gag-order, never to speak of what happened there during his tenure.

Seeing as you look like an avid Portland fan, I'm assuming you read this somewhere in your local papers or the internet? Hmm, didn't know Pritch's run in Portland was this infamous. Sounds amost like Isiah Thomas when he was GM of the Knicks. (Except Pritch didn't run your team to the ground,--He ran it his way regardless of what anyone else told him).

Hearing all this I'd still take Pritch over Gus Grunswald. He doesn't sound like he'll destroy your franchise, he's just a radical Free thinker GM, whose determined to do things his way. I like it it will make the franchise exciting. (James Dolan probably would've fired him later though Lmao.)

jiggin
06-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Here is the ACTUAL info about Pritchard and his drafts:

"Fact or fiction? Kevin Pritchard orchestrated the Brandon Roy trade and the LaMarcus Aldridge trade in the war room on draft day. Absolute fiction. [Steve Patterson's] story is 100 percent accurate. We heard him talk about the fact that Kevin Pritchard and others in the room - there was division. I don't think Steve Patterson came out and said who Kevin Pritchard wanted. Kevin Pritchard wanted Adam Morrison. If it was up to Kevin Pritchard, Brandon Roy would probably be in Minnesota right now and Adam Morrison would be wearing a Blazers uniform. Wow. Where would this franchise be if that was the case? I don't even want to think about that.

"The thing that has angered people who have worked with Kevin Pritchard is that he's gotten credit for things he didn't do... he's gotten blame for things he didn't do as well.

"Kevin has always been good to me. He's always been terrific about coming on this show. My dealings with Kevin Pritchard have always been terrific. I think he's a talent evaluator. I think he's a good leader. He has a very positive, upbeat attitude. He really modernized how the Trail Blazers evaluate players. Those are all very big positives. But there were things that led to his demise. This wasn't just Paul Allen waking up on Thursday saying, "Hey, I feel like firing Kevin Pritchard today."

"Fact or fiction? Kevin Pritchard wanted Adam Morrison instead of Brandon Roy in the 2006 NBA draft. Obviously Brandon Roy was traded for. But did Kevin Pritchard want Adam Morrison instead of Brandon Roy? Fact. You heard Steve Patterson tell the story of the war room in 2006, the big day that many people think turned around this Blazers franchise. Some people talk about getting Greg Oden with the #1 pick. The day this franchise turned around was that day in 2006 when the Blazers walked out of the draft with Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge.

"Why is this important? This is important because Brandon Roy knew that Kevin Pritchard wanted Adam Morrison. From that moment on, very professional relationship between KP and Brandon, but let's just say that Brandon Roy never forgot that. Brandon Roy has always kept that in the back of his mind. He's played with a chip on his shoulder ever since. Remember in 2006 prior to that draft, there was a workout and it was closely guarded at the Blazers Practice Facility... Jason Quick, Oregonian reporter, had supposedly gotten a glimpse of what was going on in the workout. Who was in there working out? Why was it so important that that was top secret? Adam Morrison, Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, were in that workout. Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay were handing it to Adam Morrison. And the Blazers, who at that time, at least Kevin Pritchard, wanted to take Adam Morrison, didn't want anyone to know about it. There was an uproar, there were new security policies put in place about what you can watch and what you can't watch, and when you can come in the media room and when you can't. That was kind of the age of paranoia as well. That's why they didn't want you to see that workout. That draft room was divided.

"Some people have given Kevin Pritchard credit for that draft. Not true. Kevin Pritchard made the Sergio Rodriguez trade, as you heard Steve Patterson talk in his interview. Steve Patterson called the group together that morning - and remember Kevin Pritchard was working for Steve Patterson at that time. That morning, he said, "here's what we're going to do." And he outlined how the Blazers were going to trade for Brandon Roy and how they were going to trade for LaMarcus Aldridge. And then they went and did it. Not everyone in that room was in agreement with how that went down.

"If you're Steve Patterson and you sat here the last few years listening to people talk about Kevin Pritchard, the mastermind behind the Blazers turnaround, Kevin Pritchard the one who acquired Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, and you were the one who really did that. How would you feel if you were Steve Patterson? Probably not great. You'd probably feel like someone else was getting credit for what you did. And you'd be even more upset when the guy is getting credit for what you did, adamantly opposed your decision. Because he wanted Adam Morrison.

"And that's the problem. You have an owner that's not Marc Cuban. You have an owner who despises the spotlight. You have an owner who loves doing interviews, but by email. He is the wizard of Oz, behind the curtain. You see him at the games, you see him rooting on his team, but you don't really know what's he's thinking. You don't know why he makes the decisions he makes. He's a secretive person. When you don't have a face of your franchise and then you have a guy like Kevin Pritchard, who's very charismatic, very upbeat, very eloquent, and wants that role, you get what you got. Kevin Pritchard all of a sudden becomes front and center, which also leads to some behind-the-scenes politics. And some people having their feathers ruffled. And you have different camps, you have the Kevin Pritchard camp, you have the Steve Patterson and John Nash camp.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2010/6/28/1541435/transcript-sports-business-radios

shen
06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, he knows good character people when he sees them. He knows how to jump start a fledgling franchise. It is what comes next that he is completely horrible at. He can't make trades for established players. He can't maintain a franchise. He can't find the missing piece or what ever you want to call it. I think he is completely wrong GM for Pacers. They are up and coming in need of tweaks here and there and maintaining, the things he is worst at.

Also yes I am from Portland. Born May 5th 1990 in East Morland medical. I spent first 20 years of my life living in or in a surrounding city of Portland Oregon. I started watching Blazer games at age 6. First game I watched was against the Spurs. First game I went to was against the Wolves. It was a February game. Sat way up in the nose bleeds and loved every second of it.

xabial
06-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, he knows good character people when he sees them. He knows how to jump start a fledgling franchise. It is what comes next that he is completely horrible at. He can't make trades for established players. He can't maintain a franchise. He can't find the missing piece or what ever you want to call it. I think he is completely wrong GM for Pacers. They are up and coming in need of tweaks here and there and maintaining, the things he is worst at.

Also yes I am from Portland. Born May 5th 1990 in East Morland medical. I spent first 20 years of my life living in or in a surrounding city of Portland Oregon. I started watching Blazer games at age 6. First game I watched was against the Spurs. First game I went to was against the Wolves. It was a February game. Sat way up in the nose bleeds and loved every second of it.

Hm you learn something new everyday. Thx for the insight analysis! especially from a Die-Hard Trailblazer fan!